Roto-Rooter Logo
LAST UPDATED: February 4th, 2023

Roto-Rooter has been in the plumbing business since 1935. The company specializes in plumbing repairs and drain service. Its mission is to give homeowners the peace of mind that comes from quick and convenient service. Roto-Rooter prides itself on its unique service and on being different from its competitors.

The Good

• Experience
  • Online Customer Service
  • Coupons
  • Plumbing How-To’s

Experience

Roto-Rooter was established in 1935 and has over 80 years of plumbing experience under its belt. Its employees have the expertise needed to provide quick and convenient repairs, all within your budget.

Online Customer Service

If customers do not have their questions answered by information on the website, they can submit their questions through email. Additionally, the company does take its customer service seriously—customers are encouraged to take a survey outlining their experience with customer service.

Coupons

In addition to great customer service, the company also helps customers find deals on its services. If customers insert their zip codes into the Roto-Rooter “Coupons” section, the website will provide all available deals in their area.

Plumbing How-To’s

The company website has a section dedicated to teaching curious consumers the ins and outs of the plumbing business. Included in the How-To section are conservation tips, plumbing videos, FAQs, seasonal tips, and even a plumbing glossary. Customers looking to find information for DIY projects will find that Roto-Rooter offers useful information.

The Bad

Customer Complaints

Many customers leave comments on Roto-Rooter’s Facebook page. While some comments are grateful for the service offered by the company, many commenters complain about the time it takes for Roto-Rooter service representatives to show up for appointments. The company does very well in responding to such complaints, but it would benefit from ensuring a quicker response to customer needs.

The Bottom Line

Although the company has received complaints about its service, it has done well in responding to such complaints. Additionally, there are many other customer reviews detailing the quick service and care employees had for customer problems. How a company responds to complaints can tell customers a lot about the company, and Roto-Rooter does well in resolving customer issues. When compared to other companies in the plumbing industry, Roto-Rooter is a fantastic choice.

View Best Plumbing Companies

jennifer thompson Prospect Park, PA

I’ve lived in my home for six years. In the course of those six years I’ve had rotor rooter come out a handful of times to sneak out my sewage pipe. The techs were always nice and completed the tasks in a timely manner. I especially like that they come out for emergency purposes quickly. My only negative comment about rotor rooter would be that the prices are quite ridiculous. They wanted to charge me almost $300 more than a private plumber for my emergency sewage back up in my basement unfortunately because I needed the help right away I had to pay the crazy over priced charge. I can’t say that I won’t use Roto router in the future in a pinch but if I have the time to find a private plumber, I will definitely take that route first because rotor rooters prices are very extreme.

Kristin Waterbury, CT

Used Roto Rooter for a severe bathtub clog with slow to no drainage ability. They were prompt, punctual, affordable, clean and skilled. Remedied the problem the same day I called and left me with unclogged pipes and a fully working shower/tub.

Johnny Sigmon Cumberland, MD

I just had my plumbing done an a friend of mine told me about Roto-Rooter the gentleman came in told me what they was going to do very respectful and did their job well I'd like to thank the guys who did the plumbing and I like to thank Roto-Rooter also.

Nicky Martin Pontotoc, MS

This company has been around a long time, my grand parents and my parents would only use Roto Rooter for any plumbing needs. When I brought my first home our septic tank had issues we had to clue what to do, then I remembered Roto Rooter we called them, they came out actually that same day. They estimated a cost, explained everything in detail that we could understand. The technician was very professional and I really loved that he gave us some valuable tips to keep our septic in good running condition. 10 years later still haven't had any issues. I have and will always recommend this company.

Who Knows

I have had a few great interactions with this company. The first is their dedication and love for the work they do. They have always been extremely reliable, with great pricing, and always prompt. They go above the call of duty to identify and repair your plumbing issue(s). I would highly recommend Roto Rooter to anyone seeking help with plumbing etc.

Raj R Schaumburg, IL

Roto-Rooter always resolves my plumbing issues. The technicians arrive on time and thoroughly explain what the issue is. I had an underground clog in my front lawn, and they did a great job fixing it. Will continue to keep them in my options for maintenance repairs.

Joseph Germello Lock Haven, PA

Roto Rooter gets the job done and clears your clogs. I needed an outside drain snaked from debris. Roto Rooter can be more cost effective compared to a plumber. Highly recommended, outstanding services and customer satisfaction.

CEDRIC BEAVERS St Louis, MO

The service guy was awesome, friendly and a true professional. He arrived on time and listened to my concerns and issues and fixed only what was important and needed. We had several issues such as toilets and leaking pipes . Highly recommend and will request his service again if needed in the future.....thank you very much!

Lisa Anne Littleton, CO

We had a clogged floor drain in our basement that was continuously coming up. We used Roto router and they came within six hours to help us with our issues and get the drain clear. We also use them to clear out our mainline because we had tree roots. We highly recommend this company and they really helped us out when we were having an emergency with our basement drain. Highly recommended and I trust this company 100%

Brian Meekhof Camano, WA

When I needed plumbing work done I called Roto-Rooter and they were there the next day and took care of it in a professional manner.Highly recommend

Monique Snow Sterling, CT

When having some plumbing issues with my toilet, Roto-Rooter was one of the companies I called for repair. The price was reasonable and they were able to come that day. They performed good quality work and fixed the issue in no time at all. Would definitely call them again.

Carol E Brown Harker Heights, TX

Last year, I had an issue with my washing machine flooding the floor of the laundry room. I contacted Roto-Rooter and a plumber came out to fix the problem. The plumber discovered that the pipe behind the washing machine was clogged. He was able to remove the debris and fix the problem. He also checked the kitchen sink pipes to ensure they were also clear. I appreciated the quick response and professional services I received from Roto-Rooter. I would highly recommend them.

alk43420 Atwater, OH

Our pipes were blocked up due to tree roots in our front yard. We lived in a duplex at the time. Called landlord. He called Roto-Rooter they were there within the hour.. pipes flowing perfect in the next hour. They were fast efficient and friendly.

Tara Gillispie Philadelphia, PA

Roto-Rooter has always been my family’s go to for anytning plumbing wise. Just recently we had all the pipes in the house replaced and Roto-rooter was our call for the rescue. They came, they examined , they replaced and installed, and was done in less than 2 days. Great service.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Roto Rooter is top of the line when it comes to your plumbing and bathroom fixture needs. If you are having problems with your plumbing Roto Rooter is the company you need to call to get your pipes cleaned and flowing regularly

Katie Marshall New York, NY

The company has been in business for many years so when i purchased my home in 2011. Knew very little about plumbing so I called the service was excellent staff had a pricing lodge for my job..i didn't like the fact the plumber deposited of job in my backyard it was falling so I didn't discover it till spring..also they are overpriced I recommend getting 3 estimates. If you still decide to use this company request they consider the lowest offer.

Yael Lynchburg, VA

Branson our plumber was polite and sympathetic to our feelings with our clogged main sewer drain. He informed us up front what he was going to do and asked multiple times if we had any questions just to be sure we understood and to make sure all of our questions were answered. He explained to us about the free video cam to seek further what was causing our problem since this was our second occurrence with this very same problem in less than one year. I would highly recommend him and will ask for him on any future plumbing problems. Let’s hope there are none!!

Mario Martin Huntsville, TX

I've been a faithful client with Roto-Rooter for over 20 plus years. Unfortunately, I had several different plumbing issues in several different home issues within those 20-25 years. What is most fortunate is that no matter what the plumbing problem and/or issues were, Roto-Rooter had always responded timely, promptly, inthusiastically, and professionally. I have grown to expect and relie on the consistency of Roto-Rooter services and plumbing expertise to reduce the expected stress and anxiety that's expected with plumbing issues. There's an old saying that goes " if it's not broken, don't try and fix it". This is exactly my attitude when it comes to who would I call or personally recommend for any and all plumbing related concerns!

MonsterCanineFlorida , LLC Saint Augustine, FL

Unclogging our bathroom drain - Outstanding Customer Service, they helped me alot

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

I had a major clog at my rental unit, Roto-Rooter was quick to respond and took care of the issue. I am always a fan for first call resolution.

Carter and Hannah Dickson Houston, TX

We had an emergency plumbing issue today and called Roto around 11:00am. They told us they would be able to fix it this afternoon. They sent a text saying that we were confirmed. The text said that if we don’t respond to them within 3 minutes of their technician contacting us, that our appointment window would expire. Because of that, we were glued by the phone. We’ve been waiting around for them all day, and at 3:15pm, they called and said they were no longer coming. Now, it’s too late to call anyone to get out here today. If you have an issue on a Sunday, save your time and don’t call them.

no sugarcoating

I called them for a toilet backup, they did the job, the tech was nice too, but quite expensive considering the entire job took 25 minutes at most. I guess when you're stuck you pay the price, but it could have been a bit easier on the wallet especially from a big company that seems to have a decent footprint. On the good side, because they are everywhere, they responded quite fast when I called for help...

Kelli Spencer Statesville, NC

Scheduling service was prompt and courteous. They arrived the following morning. We made them aware upon arrival of our home warranty plan and asked for step by step progress as it pertained to the coverages outlined in our policy. The contractor working for them explained the issues, what repairs were needed, and the cost of the repairs. He also stated he was familiar with warranty plans and how to file the claims for home owners. Everything was agreed and he completed the job. Afterward he sat down and filed the claim on my personal laptop. A few days later I received an email from my warranty company stating they denied my claim. When I filed an appeal and spoke with a supervisor it all came back to the contractors inability to file the claim properly. After hours of conference calls, refilling the claim with the our receipt, and numerous calls to the contractor for his statement (which he would not respond to) the warranty company finally paid our claim. Overall the job they did was timely and well performed. My only complaint falls with working with them for warranty repairs.

Rebecca D Sterling Heights, MI

Very knowledgeable and thorough. The tech walked us through each process of what he was doing. Great customer service. It seems like their techs enjoy working for them. Would definitely recommend.

Helana Savage Denver, CO

Well this been around forever Company is a reliable standard albeit a bit generic brick wall in the quick solution plumbing niche. And what I do like best about them is there USUALLY aren't any surprise hidden costs ( up charges) when it comes time to give you your final bill, they just from my experience, sorta do only what the job at hand is ,no more ,no less ,no favors ,& they don't ask any either.

Michelle Camara Houston, TX

I had a leak under my sink which caused damage. This company came and dried it out and assessed the damage and contacted the insurance company. They took care of it all for me and did a wonderful job. Thank you!

Jesse Prince Tulsa, OK

Had to call them for a clogged main line. Tim the service tech came very next morning explained what needed to be done and gave me a fair price. No trouble since then very pleased with them.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

At work one of our ladies bathrooms got plugged and we used the plunger but it did not do the trick so we had to look for a quick plumbing company that could come and help remove the clog. Roto Rooter was amazing they showed up within an hour and a fixed in the bathrooms

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Roto-Rooter is a professional outfit. They respond to my calls with urgency and care. They arrive in marked vehicles and are very courteous. Pricing for plumbing issues are high in the industry, but Roto-Rooter has always been fair. You can trust their team to resolve any plumbing issue, they have for us every time!

Robert Mott Leslie, MI

I live on a lake with a septic system. Anyone who lives on a lake probably knows it can be tricky. I've had other companies come out and it's usually a short term fix. Rotor Rooter found some things the others didn't even acknowledge. He took the time to show me what he was doing. He knew his business and I'm sticking with them.

Steven Shimmin

I was out of town on business and the pipes and drains all backed up in the house. My daughter called Roro Rooter, they came to the house... We were all able to communicate and talk over the phone to resolve the issue and get the job done and drains cleared. They were very professional and cleaned up nicely when the job was done. They even did a follow up visit when I returned home and explained everything that they did. Also a three year warrant for peace of mind on the work performed. Very solid and good company. Thanks

April Simpson Charlotte, NC

I had a clogged toilet a few weeks ago. They came out in 2hrs and fixed the problem in 15 minutes. Only cost me a $50 service fee

Dephany Parks Birmingham, AL

Awesome company, had them to service my stopped up drain in my bathroom, got the job done the first time, highly recommend them ..

Frank Rivera Lynnfield, MA

Roto-Rooter immediately responded to my after-hours emergency. Their professional staff fixed the issue while saving me thousands in damage and insurance costs.

Juan vega

My basement floored I call thi company and they show up with in 45 minutes the technician had the job done in 3 hours and also the customer service experience was good

Angie Seguin, TX

I needed my whole plumbing replaced in my bathroom. So I called these guys. Now I love the pressure in water I was lacking. The guys were fast and efficient.

Gary Aldous Boise, ID

I had them pump my septic tank and inspect my drain fields. They were on time and I thought the price was reasonable. I was in a hurry to get it done and they came through.

Angel Dragneel Houston, TX

Very quick and solves the issue fast. Customer service is great and they answered every question I had. I definitely recommend going with them if you have any issues

Abi Dallas, TX

Roro-Rooter gave a super competitive quote compared to the others. Highly recommended, and I'll definitely use them again if I ever need more plumbing work!

Autumn Lewiston, ID

Had a plumber come out for a water drip coming from the shower. Plumber showed up on time and informed me that is was a sealant issue. Explained how to correctly seal my shower free of charge! Great customer service!

Deb Jackson Valrico, FL

They offer 24/7 service, quick response time, prices are fair and they always have coupons. Technicians are professional and polite, I would definitely use them again. Service from them was excellent!

Mohammed A Brooklyn, NY

They were very professional and came within the time fram allotted. I seldom have plumbing issues around the house, but the times I do, I know that Roto-Rooter will get the job done. I don’t hassle trying to find others, because even though my house has old plumbing and clogs are hard to decipher, these guys diligently deal with my problems.

S Taylor Seattle, WA

On time, clean, solved our leak quickly and completely

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

We had a problem with our tub and toilet backing up and of course it was the weekend. We called Roto-Rooter they were out in no time and discovered that a root in the line was the issue, they got thru it and we were flushing and washing again that night. I would definitely recommend them to everyone.

Brandon Chicago, IL

I've used Roto-Rooter many times over the years. I would say they are a bit pricey but I suppose that is just the nature of plumbing. So far I've always had good experiences with the professionalism of the tech and they've generally arrived on schedule.

Will Mo Saint Clair Shores, MI

Seriously when it’s 3 am and your basement is underwater with only god knows what floating in the water who you gonna call? They will pick up. They will send a truck with a person with the tools and know how to solve the very very urgent problem.

Kent Logan, UT

Roto-Rooter has been great to take care of all my drain needs for a small sized apartment complex. They are equipped to take care of the simplest clogs like a kitchen sink, to a trunk line that is about to back up an entire fourplex. They have even come within the hour on a Sunday when really needed.

Ur AL

Really came through and provided a wonderful service when I needed it the most.the price was extremely affordable.

Di Tredway

Roto-Rooter is a very dependable and reliable company for any job big or small. We have used them several times and would recommend.

Danielle Edwards Sedalia, MO

I went with 4 because we have had a great experience when our laterals to our lagoon were clogged, he fixed it in no time. Only downfall is they can get a bit pricey.