Match.com

Match.com Logo

Match.com

All communication between members through an anonymous email network

Match.com officially launched online in April 1995 as the pioneer for the online dating industry. Match.com serves 24 countries and hosts websites now in 15 different languages. With a simple message, Match.com is available to help singles find the kind of relationships they're looking for.

Match.com members form a diverse, global community of singles who share common goals - to meet other singles, find dates, form romantic relationships and meet life partners. Young and old, gay and straight, from around the world, singles come to Match.com to flirt, meet, date, have fun, fall in love and to form meaningful, loving relationships.

Read our Match.com reviews (below) to see what other online daters are saying about this company.

View Best Online Dating Companies

Tinder Logo Tinder ›

8.4

Overall
Score

Christian Connection Logo Christian Connection ›

7.0

Overall
Score

Zoosk Logo Zoosk ›

6.9

Overall
Score

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Match.com Logo Match.com ›

6.7

Overall
Score

The Good

• Large Dating Pool
  • Free Trial
  • Site Features
  • Verification

Large Dating Pool

Match.com has been the worlds largest dating site since the online dating industry began. This company has had many years to understand how online dating services work and have matching features more complicated than most other online dating sites today. Because there is such a large user base registered, Match.com's dating algorithm is more effective and precise about picking "Mutual Matches" than ever. In 2013, Match.com had 1.9 million paid subscribers. Every day, more than 3.9 million people visit the match.com site.

Free Trial

There's a free membership trial version available either online or as an app download. Match.com has a 6-month guarantee for their members. If a Match.com member is unsuccessful in finding matches, Match.com will give an additional 6-months of service added to their subscription free of charge.

Site Features

• Advanced Searching - Search options include users by who's online, keywords, gender, age, sexual orientation, location, any field included on member profiles, daily matches, reverse matches, mutual matches, smart search, DateSpark, and more.  Members can save their searches with a name attached to refer back to later.
  • Auto Sign-In - Set and turn-off auto sign-in to make logging in easier.
  • Available Advertising - Members can signup to advertise on Match.com websites for an additional price
  • Blocking Privileges & Reporting - Block or report users to keep your profile private and safe from harassment
  • Chat - Instantly send messages and chat with other match.com members online.
  • Email Notifications - Notifies you by email, anytime you have POF account activity waiting.
  • Favorites - Choose and stay updated with your favorite match.com members.
  • Games - Choose from seven, 1-5 minute games to play with other match.com members to increase interaction and offer compatibility.
  • Included Games: Best and Worst, Drawn Together, Food Critic, Gut Reaction, If I Could, Name that Dance, and Romantic Rip Off.
  • Happen Magazine - Read the weekly magazine offered by match.com that's always devoted to helping your love life.
  • Link Account To Facebook/Windows Live - Users can link their match.com profile to their Facebook or Windows Live account.
  • Match.com Guarantee - Match.com guarantees that their members will find possible matches through their site. If a match isn't found match.com will pay for an additional 6-month subscription.
  • MatchPhone - Up to $6.99/month more depending on the current plan. Talk to other match.com members on your own phone, while keeping your actual phone or contact information private.
  • Message Center - Keep track of your messages and conversations in one place. Organize, highlight, store, and delete messages conveniently.
  • Filtered Email -  Add  1 - 7 email filters of your choice. Specify attributes and filter certain members you'd like to receive emails from.
  • VIP Email - Send VIP emails once a week (resets every Monday). VIP messages will be bold and highlighted as they show up in the recipient's inbox. Also, the sender's profile will be highlighted as it's shown on the "VIP" member's profile.
  • Mobile Application - Works for Apple iPhone, Windows 7 Phone, Android - Updated May 2014
  • Match International - International dating profiles available in 15 languages.
  • Online Dating Safety Tips - Learn how to date smarter, safer, and with more confidence.
  • Phonebook - Keep contact information for all of your favorite match.com members with the Phonebook feature.
  • Profile Pro - Professional writers are available to write your match.com profile for an additional cost.
  • Registration - Register can connect with millions of other available singles.
  • Stir Events - Members are invited to attend "Stir Events" in their area as they're scheduled. These are local events around the country hosted by match.com. Stir Events are intended to let users get to know each other in a group setting while face to face.
  • Includes Events Such As: Bowling Nights, Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Happy Hours, Wine & Tequila Tastings, and More.
  • Who Viewed You Section - See what members have viewed your profile and how often.
  • Writing Help & Dating Tips - Improve your dating style with writing guides or lessons to teach better messaging and communication skills.

Verification

Match.com  has a new verification system where users can verify their profiles by connecting their Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn page. This verification process is optional. While the dating service does not conduct background checks regularly, they may do so if your profile is reported.

The Bad

Customer Complaints

Even though Match.com is one of the top online dating sites today, unfortunately, there are a lot of consumer complaints. Most of the claims are problems with the product or service issues. There have been many complaints about billing/collection as well as guarantee/warranty related issues. There have been well over 900 reports in consumer affairs claiming that Match.com has misused personal information while members signed up for the service. These members got spammed with dating emails, and in some cases had their credit card information stolen.

The Bottom Line

When most people think of online dating today, Match.com is a popular vote. This company has been around now nearly two decades serving online daters everywhere. The free version is minimal and doesn't allow members the freedom to date and communicate as they please. So if you're considering Match.com, we suggest looking at paid subscriptions so that you can get the most value with your online dating experience.

Many using Match.com have found long-term relationships, while others have complained of non-sense and fake profiles. This is to be expected with pretty much all online dating services and dating apps as it is a relatively open social media site.  However, given Match.com's experience, features, and a large user base, it is a viable option for online dating.

View Best Online Dating Companies

2.3

Elaine R
February 26th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

I actually was liking match for the one day I could use it before they canceled me because I am married. I was transparent in my profile that I am married and live with and take care of my husband who is cognitively and physically disabled. Apparently this disqualifies me despite the fact that this is a growing demographic. They had 2 weeks to review and see this as an issue before I paid and another week from when I paid to when I started responding to messages to notice this and determine that I shouldn't be canceled, but didn't do anything.

Mandi Smith
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Match.com is a good place to find someone and to spend time with someone doing something that you and that person love to do.

Charlene Mackay
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My husband and I met on match.com 7 years ago. It was my favorite dating site, and I felt like I met the best people there. Better than other services I tried!

kerry perez
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Used match before, met some really great people!! I think their algorithm is a bit off sometimes as they stop communications from happening. Overall it was a good experience.

MaKayla Christiansen
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

I liked match because it helped me meet with people I would have never met on my own. I met amazing people on the site and it was a super straight forward app with amazing features.

Katie Marz
January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT

I liked this dating site because I feel like there are a lot of kind genuine people on this site! But I don't think this site is everyone's first choice, so there are less people. I've had good experiences with the customer service of this site as well.

Shayla Hankins
January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Match is the only dating service I have used and fell in love with. They showed me all of the similarities between me and my matches and how far away they were.

Hailey Nilson
January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

The website is clear and it's super easy to find the people you'd want to go one dates with.

Recheal
January 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

After I called to cancel my membership many times, Match still charge on my credit card, my friends has suffering the same problem. Very annoying!

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

i’ve tried it all but match was definitely a hit! i met so many great guys and it was so easy to do it, this site is great and is very helpful for a hopeless romantic

Spencer Scoville
December 3rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Not sure on this site. I mean people find the person the love all the time on this site but I personally find it annoying I have to pay to possibly meet someone.

Katie Kearney
December 3rd, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

I was always against online dating because you always here those horror stories. My sister had told me one day that "online dating introduces you to people you might not meet." I took that to heart because the things I liked to do didn't really offer me a lot of opportunities to meet people and so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. I spent some time in the app and it was really easy to navigate through and search for potential matches. I was able to put as much information about myself as I wanted. After a couple days on the app, I met my, now, husband! If you are debating trying online dating, I would tell you to take the risk! It can be so worth it in the end.

Mikey
November 27th, 2018 Aurora, CO DETAILS

Not worth the money. Lots of people initially, but seems not many want to actually meet. I've asked for a refund three times, but no response. you're much better off with Bumble, which is free...

oallred
November 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I never went on dates through Match.com who I felt I really connected with. People I met were not often had similar interests as me.

Cody Enslow
November 2nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I would like to use match, but their service is paid only. I’d like to try the service first and then pay for more or even sign up for a membership.

cami harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I haven't had a lot of success on this dating website. Maybe I'm too picky but the dating pool isn't all that great.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like the personality quizes and questions to try and make a match. There is also plenty of people to go through and chances are you can find a good match.

Christopher L Schafer
April 16th, 2018 Eugene, OR DETAILS

Constant attempts to up sell. No refunds regardless of when you quit. Very hard to delete your data.

Selphie Keller
December 12th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

I recently signed up for match.com as user name MYSTAGIC, and got a few people that contacted me, but I couldn't view or click on any of this stuff or even know who was viewing me, until I pay for service, so I paid for service to see who was messaging me, so I wrote some responses to a few people and started talking to someone and we were really hitting it off, but I had to sleep it was 3 am, so I logged out and the next day my account was terminated and no indication to why, and I know I didn't write anything offensive or bad, I uploaded a single photo, and barely used the site, I didn't even have service for more then 12 hours so I wasn't even able to setup anything or proceed with talking to the person I was talking with and now that I am no longer on the site I have no way to contact them. Using match.com was one of the most awful experiences I have ever had with any online site. They give no warning or even explain why your service was terminated, when you try to talk to them they simply refuse to give any real information, and after doing so research into this company they have had serious issues dating as far back as 2011. I paid for service on: 10 December 2017 at 00:11 am account was terminated at : 10 December 2017 at 06:14 am I only used the site for roughly 3 hours and got permanently terminated, for some unknown reason that they won't even tell me. The only response I got was some automated message of: ------------------------------------------------------------ Dear MYSTAGIC, We received your inquiry regarding the status of your Match membership. Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. We believe this action to be in the best interests of our member community. We can also confirm that a full refund has been issued. Your bank can provide you more details about when it will appear on your statement, when the funds will be available to you, etc. If you paid to attend an upcoming Match Event, please know your name has been removed from the RSVP list and any charges associated with the event have been refunded. For reference, our Terms of Use can be accessed at the following link: http://www.match.com/registration/membagr.aspx. Regards, Match Corporate Care ------------------------------------------------------------ Overall, I do not recommend this site for any reason whatsoever. They robbed my chance of talking to someone that I found very interesting, though it's very possible that the activity sent to my account was entirely fake and generated by match.com to be fooled into buying service. Seeing how, not even moments after signing up I receive allegedly all this winks, profile likes, and private messages, from real users, which I find it hard to believe I got all that activity within my first 10 minutes of using the site with a incomplete profile. Then after buying services I could respond to these items. But then suddenly without warning my account is terminated, and I have to get a refund, thankfully, I paid through paypal and have buyer protection. If your looking for dating sites, I wouldn't put match.com any where near my choices, and I will never recommend this site to anyone, and anyone asking about this site, I will tell them the very short experience I had with it.

Michael
December 7th, 2017 DETAILS

I stopped using the website but then I found a $71 USD charge on my credit card. match.com automatically charged me a 3 month renewal fee of $71 USD two days earlier. I received no email notice from them leading up to the automatic payment. I called their number and the operator said the best he can do is refund me $20.01 and he refused to transfer me to his supervisor. In summary they charged me $51 for a service I did not use.

Peter
November 13th, 2017 DETAILS

Don't cancel through the dating site - do it through your bank! Once deleted, a site can't charge your account, and if they should do so, the bank is obliged to retrieve your funds and return your money to your account. Otherwise I find dating sites take up huge amounts of time as you can not know what kind of dating arrangements people have already in place when you first contact them. It is a bit of a 'cattle market' which can be exasperating. Also there is a lot of distrust among members which arises from all sorts of previous experiences. If you go for this kind of pass-time, take a deep breath first! Having said that, it does work, and I have met and had at least one long term 10 year relationship from Match.com. You do have to sift through a lot of nonsense though first before you find genuine people.

Lyudmila
November 3rd, 2017 Lakeland, FL DETAILS

This company does NOT really have huge pool of profiles. I mean - real profiles, as they keep ( with you even knowing it) EVERY profile they had during entire time the company exists ( like for 10+ years). They do NOT delete your profile if you were there. It is still there, it is still offered to current members . That is actually A FRAUD , as they are charging you for participation in the data base, which consists of maybe 75 % of old, already non-existent profiles. It is tricking you for their benefits.

S.S. C.
June 16th, 2017 Pueblo, CO

Beware of tricky cancellation policy. It's done online and even when you think you've done it right, you perhaps have not. It's an auto-renew and the only way to cancel is to stop auto-renewal and then go on and on and on to other screens. I thought I had officially cancelled but I was charged for 3 more months. Apparently the cancellation did not go through. I e-mail them the same day I saw they were about to charge me again to ask why and to try and stop the pending charge. I got no response. Later I went online to their customer service chat and was basically told too bad. I am now disputing the $74.00 charge with my credit card company. Very poor customer service experience.

Kenneth Okerlund
June 2nd, 2017

Every experience I had with this was negative, especially all the crashes/delay in app response.

Tyler_Blake
March 8th, 2017

I joined 8 days ago and already want to quit. From fake accounts to email messages requesting roses be sent to them for dating, this site isn't worth the amount you pay and will never be refunded.

Melissa B.
November 16th, 2016 Gainesville, FL

I had only signed up for a few days (paid for in advance for a six month subscription) , and it was going very slow. I'm average looking / weight wise, all normal (with pics) but go one email in several days. So when I contacted them by email to cancel , all I got was useless canned replies. I had to call, so I did. I hate calling any business due to social anxiety so doing this is a challenge,but I wanted my refund. I had to deal with some immature high-school giggling bimbo type , who claimed she couldn't hear me . I don't know why that would be , but the main irritant was the useless giggling with others around her. I had to hang up as I got nowhere. Will definitely cancel before renewal.

Ksusha Koval
November 10th, 2016

It's a waste of time to use it. But that's not even the worst part of it. As you will. E automatically charged no matter what, they don't care about people just money. Customer service is useless and unhelpful. You don't want to renew you subscription ?! You still going to be charged! It's a scam!!! Never use this site!!!

Matthew
November 1st, 2016

Even after deactivating the auto-renewal on their website, they charged my credit card automatically anyway. I called them the next day demanding a refund (I had not used the site in a month). I was told they would only agree to a partial refund. Contacted my bank and disputed the charge. These people are deceptive and fraudulent.

David
December 15th, 2015 Houston, TX

Match gave me very poor customer service. The search functions are also broken, ignoring your profile and sending you matches you dont want to see. The number of "active" users seems questionable as well. On my search I was met with mostly profile that said they were active within 3 weeks. Which is the longest it will say. To me this means the "active" member counto is questionable. The site looks dead from my perspective.

Laura
March 23rd, 2015 Pleasant Grove, UT

I was a member since November and bought the "private" option (making my subscription price about $10 more) and would also occasionally pay for "undercover" to favorite and look at profiles without leaving a trace that I had seen them. It all started failing around 2 weeks ago. Bought "undercover" - as I had done many times - and looked at (and favorited) profiles which, afterward, stated "they can see you." The last straw was going online tonight while my profile was in "hidden" mode - where, supposedly, no one can see you and you don't come up in searches. Well, someone had viewed me. I sent them multiple e-mails twice about the undercover issue a week ago. No response. Being paranoid (it feels like either a staff member is messing with me, someone hacked my profile or their site is faulty), I immediately pulled my photos and canceled my subscription. It's terrible that their customer service dept. can't even respond when you're paying those fees. And half the time I wondered if the profiles I looked at were even real ones. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Shirley
March 23rd, 2015 Pleasant Grove, UT

95% of the email I receive on Match.com is from fake users trying to get me to use my personal email. I received identical paragraphs of overly-flattering, trying to sound American email from multiple users. This is because Match.com encourages people to join free for 3 days so the spammers in some other country just keep grabbing a photo off the Internet and joining under many names. BEWARE!!!

Melissa
September 18th, 2014 Pleasant Grove, UT

I tried several online dating sites over a period of about two years and I liked Match.com the best. The site is easy to use, the communication features and settings are convenient - and, most importantly, I felt that the quality of the people I was matched with was much higher than sites like OKCupid or PlentyofFish... I never found my match on Match.com, though...