MI Windows and Doors

5.0

LAST UPDATED: July 29th, 2022

MI Windows and Doors is one of the nation's largest suppliers of vinyl and aluminum windows and patio doors.

For over 70 years, MI Windows and Doors has served various clients throughout the United States. With a nationwide network of certified, trusted, and qualified dealers/distributors, MI Windows and Doors can provide consumers with accessible, attentive, flexible, and timely solutions.

The Good

• Window Selection
  • Quality Control
  • Limited Lifetime Customer Assurance Warranty
  • Energy Star® Program
  • Made in the United States

Window Selection

MI Windows and Doors has a decent selection of windows for homeowners to choose from. The company is continually working hard to design and create unique windows that excel in efficiency while also enhancing curb appeal.

However, that's not all; MI's website allows you to choose the material, color, glass (single-pane, double-pane, triple-pane), hardware, grid style, and more.

If you're unsure where to start, we recommend using MI's "Find A Window" Tool. The tool allows you to enter some basic information (your state, the type of project, and window type), and it will recommend several window options.

It is important to remember that MI's products will vary by state and region. If you are looking for something more specific, it's recommended you call MI for further assistance.

Quality Control

MI Windows and Doors believes in providing consumers with superior products that are of exceptional quality. To help ensure this happens, the company performs audits every hour, on every line, in every factory across the country. All MI Windows and Doors products are AAMA-certified and Feature-complete.

Limited Lifetime Customer Assurance Warranty

Products made by MI Windows and Doors come with a Limited Lifetime Customer Assurance Warranty. If there is ever a problem with your windows or doors, you can quickly view your warranty information by visiting MI's website. The warranty information is downloadable, so you can even print out a copy for yourself.

Energy Star® Program

MI Windows and Doors is partnered with ENERGY STAR to provide high-quality, energy-efficient products.

ENERGY STAR is a voluntary program that was established by the EPA in 1992. The program was designed to help businesses and individuals save money and protect the environment by using energy-efficient products and technologies. Any product with an ENERGY STAR designation must meet the third-party certification based on testing in the EPA-recognized labs.

Made in the United States

MI Windows and Doors proudly states that all of its products are manufactured in the United States.

The Bad

• Does Not Install Products
  • No Online Visualizer
  • Pricing Information

Does Not Install Products

To be clear, MI Windows and Doors is a manufacturer and does not install any of its products.

If you purchase a window from MI, you'll receive installation instructions. If you're still struggling to install the window, you can read through one of MI's installation guides or watch a how-to on the company's YouTube channel.

No Online Visualizer

Unfortunately, you'll have to use your imagination when visualizing MI's windows on your home. Unlike many other window companies, MI does not have a visualization tool to help you choose which windows you want on your house.

Pricing Information

MI Windows doesn't disclose prices on their corporate website, making it difficult for potential customers to discern whether the products will fit into their budget.

The Bottom Line

If you're looking for new windows for your home, we suggest taking a look at MI Windows and Doors inventory. The company has been around for over 70 years and offers a decent selection of beautifully designed (but also extremely energy-efficient) windows. All products are tested to ensure they're up to MI's rigorous standards and made to last. If you want to know more about pricing, you'll have to get a quote or speak with a customer representative over the phone.

View Best New Windows Companies

not_listed_location

MI Windows and Doors Frequently Asked Questions

Are MI Windows good quality?

MI windows are of excellent quality. With the latest technology in vinyl extrusion and fabrication, MI windows are extremely durable and can last for decades. MI ensures that its products hold up under stress through rigorous testing at its engineering facility. And thanks to state-of-the-art features like metal-reinforced meeting rails and multi-chambered mainframes, MI fabricates products that are extremely strong and long-lasting.

Are MI Windows decent?

MI makes windows that meet or exceed the standard for a good quality vinyl window suitable for new home construction or replacement window projects. As energy performance demands increase, MI has responded with superior, energy-efficient window and patio doors that meet stringent ENERGY STAR® requirements. All MI windows feature warm-edge spacer systems with options for gas-enhancement, Low-E glass, and other energy-efficient attributes. Consequently, MI windows will help keep your interior space comfortable regardless of the season. And MI manufactures durable, energy-efficient windows without sacrificing aesthetic quality. With multiple color and grid options, MI windows can complement any architectural style and interior design.

Who makes the best vinyl windows?

Thirty-four years after the company’s founding, MI began fabricating vinyl windows in 1981 and has been expanding ever since. With the addition of Milgard Windows & Doors to the company in 2019, MI has become one of the largest manufacturers of vinyl windows in the country. Between MI and Milgard, their products reach all 50 states and parts of Canada. Both companies’ windows and patio doors have become favorites of homeowners and builders due to their aesthetic appearance, overall performance, ease of use, and builder-friendly qualities.

What types of windows does MI make?

MI manufactures a huge selection of vinyl and aluminum windows: single-hung, double-hung, single-slider, double-slider, bay, bow, picture, casement, awning, and basement windows. Customers can order fin, flange, or finless frame windows designed specifically for replacement, remodeling, or new home construction projects. All MI windows feature a variety of complementary products to ensure you can purchase coordinating windows and doors that match the style of your home.

What does MI stand for?

The MI name reflects the company’s roots. MI began as a window-screening business that was named “Metal Industries” because of the metal screen frames it produced. Over time, the company’s name was shortened to MI as its primary business shifted to other building materials, primarily vinyl windows and patio doors. The company is no longer registered as “Metal Industries,” and is solely focused on window and door manufacturing. However, in recognition of its 75-year history, the company has maintained the MI name.

What is MI Windows’ warranty?

MI maintains a series of warranties depending on the type of product and the region in which the product was purchased. Homeowners can look up their specific warranty by visiting the company website and downloading the warranty document that applies to their product series. Please visit: miwindows.com/warranty
Message from
MI Windows and Doors

Founded as a window-screening company in 1947, MI Windows and Doors has grown into one of the country’s largest manufacturers of vinyl and aluminum windows and doors. MI operates more than 10 manufacturing plants in seven states and employs over 5,500 team members from coast to coast, fabricating products that are available in all 50 states and parts of Canada.

Long recognized as an industry leader, MI produces some of the best vinyl windows and sliding glass doors on the market by focusing on five Quality Pillars: Safety, Integrity, Continuous Improvement, Creativity, and Partnerships.

Through stringent testing at its engineering facilities, MI fabricates durable and energy-efficient windows for every climate. This constant innovation has yielded an aesthetically desirable product line that is also builder- and contractor-friendly. MI’s windows and sliding glass doors are ideal for new construction, remodeling, renovation, and window replacement projects, and its multiple series of complementary products offer homeowners a wide array of aesthetically pleasing choices.

Whether they’re searching for single-hung, double-hung, slider, casement, awning, basement, or projection windows, or a product with a specialized design, customers will find what they need at MI.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

4.1

Jenny Oliver Dallas, TX

I’ve been waiting since March 1st to get my windows and doors looked at or replaced. They are not sealed right and we get dirt, water, and bees in our house. I can’t get anyone to respond to my calls!!

Reply from MI Windows and Doors

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take all customer feedback very seriously. Please email me at [email protected] with your contact information and case number so I can look into this further. Thank you.

Jul. 28th, 2022

Melinda Mathews Powhatan, VA

No customer service when it comes to replacing a failed window. We were told there was a life time warranty on the windows and when we called we were told it only pertained to the original owner of the house. This house is only 7 years old, really, good windows should last much longer than that. We said we would pay for the replacement window and asked if they could send the area rep to measure the window and we were told they did not do that, only under the original warranty. This does not seem like good customer service. As we need to replace sections of windows or whole windows, we will NOT be using Mi Windows.

Arthur Branham Bayville, NJ

Over the 10 yrs I owned my home I had to replace 19 window that lost the seal. Granted that the windows were supplied under the warranty but I had to pay shipping and pay to have them installed. It also created a big inconvenience since the window shades had to be removed, furniture moved and in the case of a couple of windows I had to pay someone to remove and reinstall the shutters that were on those windows. I just think having issues with 19 windows shows poor quality. I do have to give credit to Zack who came to do the recent replacement, he was neat, efficient and very professional.

Reply from MI Windows and Doors

I'm sorry to hear your experience didn't live up to the standards we expect. We take all customer feedback very seriously and are dedicated to making continuous improvements that positively impact our homeowners. If you need any further assistance, please email me at [email protected] with your contact info so I can help.

Jun. 21st, 2021

Natalia S Bartlett, IL

Buyer beware!!! We have MI windows and they are terrible. When it is cold out in the winter, we have ice on the inside of the windows. Now we have mold forming from the ice and water on the inside of the windows. The house is Just 4 years old and we feel drafts next to the windows. A my customer service is the worst, telling us this is all normal when it's cold out. No it is not normal, we had new windows in our previous home and never had any of these issues. Do not buy!!

Reply from MI Windows and Doors

Window condensation does occur in energy efficient windows. We have articles about this on our website with suggestions on what you can do to alleviate it. I'm sorry to hear you had any trouble with the service team. We take all customer feedback very seriously. Can you please email me at [email protected] with your contact information so I can help? Thank you.

Feb. 26th, 2021

Jen Johnson Tampa, FL

We just dropped $30k on new MI windows. 1) We order sculptured grids but windows were delivered without 2) MI sent a contracted company out to apply the grids... the guy cut and applied the wrong grids (flat and the thickness of cardboard) to the window. The grids he did apply were cut using a razor knife (shoddy cuts) and over 80% of the grids were cut too small leaving gaps... ie grids don't even meet up to the window edge... we tried to dump the windows back to dealer but they advised MI would handle... meanwhile MI has yet to send anyone out. We reported this a MONTH AGO!

Reply from MI Windows and Doors

I’m so sorry to hear this happened. Please email us at [email protected] so I can get your contact info and help.

Dec. 11th, 2020

AMAC Chadds Ford, PA

Mi windows are worst windows and frames you could buy and install. Builders are choosing this product because it's cheap. Even new windows leak very bad. We are 50 house community every house had issues with in first 5-6 years an average. Spend your money with other good company. Issues:BAD Leadk Drift Frames will not hold the shape- gap between frame and window. Workmanship

Patrick Little Chestnutridge, MO

missing a screen... no response in 9 months. adhesive dribbled between glass layers. customer service didn't care

Stacey Barnes Hernando, FL

They claim they are on time! 1. Right now they are 4 weeks behind on my job with one plate glass window. 2. On two custom 10 foot sliders which have 3 glass panels, one panel on each set, the locks are on the outside! Oooh, how safe is that!?

Matt R Lititz, PA

I would give 0 stars if I could! My home was built in 2003. 75% of my window seals are bad and windows are fogged up. I would run from any home that has MI windows. The warranty does not apply to me because I am the second owner and bought the home when it was 1 year old.

Diana Saint Thomas, PA

MI windows are the worst! Do not buy a house with these windows unless you can afford to replace them. The windows look like they have oil in them I am assuming because the seal goes bad. Do not , open the windows because the plastic dry rots. I could go on but, I won’t. Beware of these windows.

J wentroble Naples, FL

They do not lock and some of them do not open all the way