Venmo Logo

9.7

LAST UPDATED: August 23rd, 2021

Venmo is a popular mobile payment app among millennials, with the average user transferring money to friends and family members several times per week. Venmo is owned and operated by PayPal and has been operational since 2009. The company is growing rapidly and offers its users convenience as well as bank-level security of their financial information.

Receiving funds from another user is free, and money sent via Venmo can easily be transferred into a US Bank account with a few taps. Members may use funds from any linked and confirmed US bank account to send money as well as their debit or credit card.

In addition to easily sending and receiving money, Venmo is an available payment option in select merchant apps and for select merchants through a mobile browser, a practice being made popular by other mobile wallet apps like Apple Pay or Google Pay. To use this feature, a user must opt-in to make purchases.

Keep reading for pros and cons, as well as Venmo reviews to see what people are saying about their experience with Venmo.

Apple Pay Logo
#2 Apple Pay chevron_right
Paypal Logo
#3 Paypal chevron_right
Chase QuickPay Logo
#4 Chase QuickPay chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Free App
  • Payments and Fees
  • Payment Process
  • Make Purchases
  • Devices

Free App

The Venmo app is free to download on any smartphone or device, and it is free to use. In addition, Venmo is managed by PayPal, providing significant advantages for users. PayPal offers their users a high level of security, similar to the security used by major financial institutions.

Payments and Fees

Venmo offers their users the ability to easily send money to their family and friends up to $299.99 when they first sign up, or up to a weekly rolling limit of $4,999.99 once their identity has been confirmed. Users may use their confirmed and linked US bank accounts to send money to anyone free of charge.

A Venmo user can add any type of credit or debit card to their account for free. Once a card is added, you can set it as your primary payment method in settings, allowing you to control which cards you are using through your Venmo account. In addition, a user can set up a linked bank account, making it easy to move money between a bank account and Venmo account.

There are no fees for any activity via a debt card, but it is important to note that all money sent via a credit card will incur a 3 percent fee. In addition, there is an automatic transfer fee for transferring money from your Venmo account to your bank account. There are no other Venmo charges or fees to be aware of.

Receiving money and transferring funds to a US bank account is free.

Payment Process

Users may send money to anyone, regardless if they are a current member of Venmo or not. To gain access to sent funds, users must register with the service.

Payments on Venmo are simple, requiring only a few steps to ensure money is being sent to or received by the correct person. In some cases, Venmo will ask you for the last four digits of someone's phone number before completing a payment, thus ensuring a secure transaction.

Payments and transactions are shown on a feed similar to Facebook, showing things people are paying for between their Venmo friends (actual dollar values are not displayed). If you do not want your payments to be seen by other users, there is an option to make a transaction private.

Make Purchases

Not only can you send and receive money from friends and family through Venmo, but you can use it to make online purchases, as well as some retail purchases through the app.

Because Venmo is owned by PayPal, in some online shopping circumstances you can select PayPal as your payment method which will bring up a separate prompt asking if you'd like to complete the transaction through Venmo. This means that online shopping can be even easier, and provides more flexibility in payment methods.

Additionally, Venmo makes it easy to split the cost of any in-app purchases between multiple people. Through its "buy now, split later" service, Venmo remembers the total cost of the purchase and will allow you to split in the next time you open the app.

Devices

Venmo is available on both iOS and android devices, making it available for anyone.

The Bad

Issues with Service Misuse

In fact, there are several reports which surfaced in the latter part of 2015, detailing how savvy scammers are using Venmo to defraud users, most often when the service is misused by sending money to one who is unknown to the payor. Venmo states that it is designed for payments between individuals who know and trust one another, and therefore discourages users from sending money to people they do not know, especially on large purchases like event tickets or websites like Craigslist.

It is important to realize that while the app is secure, there are some problems which one may encounter. Should a user erroneously send funds to someone, they are dependent upon the other party to return the funds. Venmo does not provide much assistance in returning funds in the event of payor error.

The Bottom Line

Venmo is a great mobile wallet option, making money transfer and mobile payments easy, as well as making purchases either online or in person at certain retailers.

Account set up is quick and easy, and users can be assured that their personal and sensitive information will be protected, as long as they are being careful and mindful of who they are sending money to and receiving money from. In the case of your phone being misplaced or lost, you can easily enter your account through Venmo.com and remove information connected to your phone. Additionally, Venmo stores all data on encrypted servers.

The majority of Venmo customer reviews are positive, highlighting the easy usability of the app and simplicity in communicating with friends and family about transactions. Some complaints include the automatic transfer fee being too high and very difficult customer service.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

I wish Venmo could put the money immediately in your account without a fee, but it normally happens a day sooner than it originally says. It has the option to sync with your contacts, which is extremely convenient so I do not have to ask my friends for their account name first.

Becca Amiot Salem, VA

I've been using Venmo for a couple years now and it's so convenient and helpful when transferring money. It's secure and efficient. Overall app is well organized and easy to navigate as well. I have never had an issue with Venmo ever.

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

Venmo is very easy to use. I like the option to either transfer money immediately or to wait the usual 2-3 business days. Though I use the latter option, I find that my money gets transferred within 1-2 days and I don’t have to wait another day or two.

Helena Danby Shelley, ID

This makes it nice and easy to transfer money to people in an instant! It's handy to only need a username and not a routing number and account number. The transfers are quick.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Venmo is my most trusted platform given that you can transfer money to your friends and family without having to share your card detail. You can also receive a Venmo debit card that comes in handy. The set-up of the app is pretty cute too, because you can add little emojis and animations to your message when sending money. I have never had issues with Venmo and I would suggest it to anybody.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

Venmo is a life saver! I rarely carry cash so being able to quickly and effectively pay someone is so helpful. I appreciate that emails that I get that show my Venmo history each month so that I can make sure that I am keeping track of my money. I also appreciate the ability to transfer funds in and out of my bank account seamlessly. If you don't have Venmo and are thinking about getting it, you should!

Traci Nakhon Sawan, 60

The Venmo app is very convenient. I have it downloaded onto my phone because I use it so often. I tend to need an easy way to pay back my friends a lot so it makes it very easy. I use it at least once a week because it is so easy to use and convenient.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Venmo has been a great tool for me in the past few years. When going out for drinks with friends it’s easier to have one person take the whole tab and have everyone else pay them back. Venmo has made this very easy for me in the past up until now.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

Venmo has been such a lifesaver. It’s a whole lot easier to pay people back over Venmo than trying to work out ways to pay them back in a different way. When I end up owing my friends money after getting food it is nice being able to pay them back fast.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I was hesitant to get Venmo at first, but I'm so glad I have it now. It has made it so much easier to pay my friends or have them pay me, rather than using cash. I like that you can choose who can view your transactions, and being able to request money from people has been very helpful. Also, it says that it can take up to three days for your money to be transferred to your account but it has never taken more than a day for me.

Emme Corry Logan, UT

Venmo is one of my most used apps. Going on trips with friends and splitting the cost is a breeze because we just use Venmo and it only takes a few seconds.

Jason Spokane, WA

Venmo is an absolute must to have! Whenever I go out with my friends we use Venmo to split the bill it is so simple to use and saves a ton of work in having to pay people back I love this app.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I love venmo because of how easy it makes it to transfer money between friends. I like how you can keep a venmo balance and then pay from there if you have enough. I also like how you can request money so that your friends can easily just accept the request. I also think the venmo feed is fun to look at.

Dave Spokane, WA

Venmo is great because it is so widely used. I use it with my kids primarily, but I've also used it with vendors and other adults. I don't really care for the social media aspect of Venmo, so I just turn that off and keep everything private. I wish the free version had quicker transfers to and from my bank account, but I guess they have to make their money somehow!

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

Love this app. It makes getting payments and paying people so easy. I like that we get monthly reports. It is easy to manage and use.

Molly Smith Herriman, UT

Venmo doesn't work with republic wireless cell phones. I would honestly love to have a venmo account, and have tried multiple times to make one, but it just refuses to work. I think it's because of the republic wireless phones because my mother also has one and it doesn't work with her phone either. We're the only people I've ever seen have this problem. It's very frustrating.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Venmo because it's so convenient. I love being able to send money digitally. I don't like how Venmo has asked me for my personal information such as my passport information.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Cash transactions with friends and businesses by using your phone app is commonplace. It's easy and simple. One of the downsides is that I find that almost anyone can see who I transact with, so privacy is a problem with venmo.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

We own a rental property and VENMO is the site we have our renters pay us. It is secure and easy to use. All of my kids have VENMO as well so easy to send them money quick and secure.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

Venmo has been such a help! It is so much easier to pay people back for stuff like food and rent using this app. Honestly I don't know what I could do if I didn't have it. Not to mention it's free!!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I started using venmo in college. I love Venmo, it makes paying things so easy. I shop at a lot of small businesses and Venmo is a very popular among newer businesses. I save my card in the app and I can send and receive money effortlessly.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

At first I was a little sketched out when using venmo but it is really convenient and you don't have to pay for anything if you do not want to. There is a section in their terms and policies that say they are not liable if someone hacks your account and steals money from your bank account that it is attached to. There is also no way to get your money back if you send it to the wrong person unless they send it back so use with caution.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I always use Venmo as an easy way to collect money from people. I run a small business where I sell T-Shirts with graphic prints on them, and Venmo is one of my customer's easiest ways to pay me for the shirts they buy from me. This is very convenient too!

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

Venmo is great for paying your friends and makes paying rent easy. You can choose whether to make it visible to public, friends, or private, but it never shows the amount you're paying unless you're either the payer or the receiver. The emoji makes it fun. And balance transfer takes only one button and doesn't require fees unless you want it instantly on the same day. It's a simple trusted app for daily use.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Venmo has made no money transferring in my life so much easier. From paying for dance class to paying a Babysitter, or just making it easy to forget my wallet ;) Venmo makes my life easier. Venmo has an easy to use interface and I love that the people I am searching for just pop up as I start their names. I like that I have the choice to publish my money swapping or keep it private.

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I joined Venmo a couple years ago because I wanted an easy way to pay back family and friends for money I owed them. I have been pleasantly surprised with how convenient and easy it is to use. It took just a few minutes to set up and link to my bank account. And each time I use it to pay someone it takes about 20-30 seconds. It’s super fast and so much easier than writing a check or finding the correct amount of cash. I use venmo to pay for my kids’ music lessons, babysitting, my hair dresser, fundraisers, paying back family members and friends, and so much more! I LOVE venmo. So glad I got the app and set it up a couple years ago!

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

I love Venmo! I've gotten paid for a couple different jobs on on Venmo and it's so convenient for paying friends and family!

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

Such a great app when it comes to paying friends back or making purchases off of FaceBook Marketplace. Much easier than trying to find the cash or write a check.

Jessica Chen Gaithersburg, MD

I used venmo to send money to a friend for her to buy a t-shirt money transfer went through smoothly and process was easy to keep track of. Money has never gotten lost through venmo and was always received by recipient. I will be using venmo in the future to send payments.

Paige Stockard Wichita, KS

Venmo makes it super easy to pay your friends or vice versa, instead of always worrying about how much you owe someone else, with a couple clicks you can easily pay your friends for things like food or activities. It's also super easy to transfer the money into your bank account!

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I love using Venmo to transfer funds for services or purchases between friends and family members. The application is convenient and secure and it saves the cost involved in using a credit card or a check. It is also cheaper and quicker than using mail.

Tiffany I Hyattsville, MD

Venmo is such a great way to send/receive money. People sent me donations thru Venmo just by having me as a contact in their phone. I didn’t need to send any personal information and I linked it right to my bank acct for easy transfers

Emily Alpine, UT

Best idea ever created! It makes paying people SO much easier! We’ve been using this app for years and it has only become more and more user friendly! We pay our kids school tuition through the app, parents, in-laws, friends and family for nights out - never worrying about keeping those tabs bc it’s so quick and easy.

Aaliya Ghadafii Tallahassee, FL

Since a lot of my friends have Venmo, it has my made my life easy when I need to send someone I know some money and I don’t have the cash on my. I could easily take the money from my card and Venmo to them. The app works flawlessly.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Venmo is so quick and easy. It is so easy to pay anyone you need by qr code or just quickly looking up their name. Friending people also makes it very easy. It's so nice to look up any past payments even with a specific person. You can keep your payments private and it is very easy to transfer in and out of your bank account with zero charge.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

The only way Venmo could be better is if it could be used for payment at more retailers or have faster transfers for a lower fee. I’m not one to pay 1% (max or $10) just to get access to my money right away but it’s a nice feature for other customers. The free 1-3 biz day option has worked reliably for me.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

I seriously use Venmo on a daily basis! It is so convenient! One thing that I love is I can keep a balance in my Venmo and it’s like a rainy day fund. It’s so easy and convenient. Especially when we are contactless I wish everyone excepted Venmo then I would never need my wallet 😅

Aallen Katy, TX

Venmo is such an easy app to use. I love the convenience and facility of transferring money with one or two clicks. Their biggest downside is there is no customer service. If you send money wrong-too bad. You’re out the finds. Always make sure you are transferring money correctly.

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

Venmo makes it so so easy to pay someone or request money. I use it most often to settle debts with friends and families, and occasionally to pay for a product. No more carrying around cash in case I need to pay a friend back from before!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Venmo has become my go-to money transfer app. It works great and for most transactions is free. The app does publicly show money transfers (not the exact amount) unless you turn off this feature and make it the transaction private.

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Venmo is such an easy way to send and receive money online when cash is not available. You can link your bank account to easily put the money sent to you in your account or take money from your account to send to someone else. There is an activity option that shows all of the activity in your account so you can always have proof of the amount of money you sent or received and when the transaction took place.

Summer Porter Managua, MN

Venmo has got to be one of my most used cell phone apps. Requesting from or paying money to family and friends has never been so easy. You can even make your account private so that your transactions are not accessible to the public eye. The only thing to be aware of is that when transferring money from your venmo to your bank account, there is a small fee. With so many people using it now a days, it's nice to have when little things come up and online payment is the only option. I highly recommend it!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Venmo is the best app on my phone! I love the convenience of sending and receiving money. My boys mow lawns and it is so much easier for me to request and collect money from their clients so they don't have to knock on the door. It makes group gifts a breeze to collect money from everyone easily and quickly. I love Venmo and use it on a weekly basis, sometimes several times a week.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

Venmo is something that I use on a weekly basis, if not more. It’s a super easy way to transfer money. It makes eating out, traveling, buying drinks, and booking things with a group so much easier. And really just paying for anything. You can make requests or pay people back for things in minutes. There’s a small fee to move money instantly to your account, but it’s avoidable if you let the transfer take time. Super convenient app. Everyone should have it

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

Five stars doesn't seem like a high enough rating for how I feel about Venmo. It has changed my life. I always used to worry about if I had forgotten to pay somone, or how to tell someone that they had forgotten to pay me. But with venmo I don't need to worry about that anymore. It is so easy to transfer funds to someone but just as ease to send a request as well without that awkward moment of asking for money. It is also so easy to initiate a transfer to your bank as well. I absolutely LOVE venmo!!

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

Venmo is my favorite way to send payment and get paid through online wallets. Their service is easy to use and I have never had a problem with the app or service. Payment is always sent quickly and easily. Their customer service was helpful the one time was money was sent the wrong person. It is easy to refund or return money as well. The only suggestions that I have are to allow multiple accounts to be linked to the same bank account. Since my husband and I switched to a joint account- we are both unable to have our own Venmo accounts using the same bank ID.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

I honestly think Venmo is better than PayPal. The charging fee is wayyy better if you automatically want to put it in your bank. I use Venmo all the time to pay friends, babysit, and at the Farmer's Market sometimes. Venmo is a safe way to transfer your money to another individual. Venmo is a very convenient tool, if I could I would rate this a 10 star.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

I don't remember what my life was like before Venmo! Sounds a little dramatic, but this app has changed my life! When something comes along and simplifies your life, it deserves this kind of recognition. I hardly ever carry cash and writing checks is so 'old school'. Venmo is the ONLY way to go when it comes paying back your friends, splitting rent/utilities with roommates, paying for extracurricular activities, etc. The list goes on and on!

Teri M. Logan, UT

I was hesitant at first about trying Venmo because I don't like to share my information with people, but I'm glad I did. I can easily send and receive money for things like piano lessons, selling my kids outgrown clothes and much more. Makes life much easier when you don't have cash hanging around. I had to contact customer service with a question and they answered it quickly and efficiently.

Samantha Fayetteville, AR

I use Venmo all of the time. I am a college student and no body really carries cash anymore. Everyone I know uses some sort of electronic wallet like Venmo and I find this company in particular to be the most user friendly and easy to navigate. It is easy to find the people you are looking for on there which helps to not be concerned that you are sending money to the wrong person on accident. It is also really helpful to be able to request money from someone so then you don't forget to ask later or can complete the request at a time that works for you.