Venmo Logo

9.7

Venmo is a popular mobile payment app among millennials, with the average user transferring money to friends and family members several times per week. Venmo is owned and operated by PayPal and has been operational since 2009. The company is growing rapidly and offers its users convenience as well as bank-level security of their financial information.

Receiving funds from another user is free, and money sent via Venmo can easily be transferred into a US Bank account with a few taps. Members may use funds from any linked and confirmed US bank account to send money as well as their debit or credit card.

In addition to easily sending and receiving money, Venmo is an available payment option in select merchant apps and for select merchants through a mobile browser, a practice being made popular by other mobile wallet apps like Apple Pay or Google Pay. To use this feature, a user must opt-in to make purchases.

Keep reading for pros and cons, as well as Venmo reviews to see what people are saying about their experience with Venmo.

Apple Pay Logo
#2 Apple Pay chevron_right
Paypal Logo
#3 Paypal chevron_right
Chase QuickPay Logo
#4 Chase QuickPay chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Free App
  • Payments and Fees
  • Payment Process
  • Make Purchases
  • Devices

Free App

The Venmo app is free to download on any smartphone or device, and it is free to use. In addition, Venmo is managed by PayPal, providing significant advantages for users. PayPal offers their users a high level of security, similar to the security used by major financial institutions.

Payments and Fees

Venmo offers their users the ability to easily send money to their family and friends up to $299.99 when they first sign up, or up to a weekly rolling limit of $4,999.99 once their identity has been confirmed. Users may use their confirmed and linked US bank accounts to send money to anyone free of charge.

A Venmo user can add any type of credit or debit card to their account for free. Once a card is added, you can set it as your primary payment method in settings, allowing you to control which cards you are using through your Venmo account. In addition, a user can set up a linked bank account, making it easy to move money between a bank account and Venmo account.

There are no fees for any activity via a debt card, but it is important to note that all money sent via a credit card will incur a 3 percent fee. In addition, there is an automatic transfer fee for transferring money from your Venmo account to your bank account. There are no other Venmo charges or fees to be aware of.

Receiving money and transferring funds to a US bank account is free.

Payment Process

Users may send money to anyone, regardless if they are a current member of Venmo or not. To gain access to sent funds, users must register with the service.

Payments on Venmo are simple, requiring only a few steps to ensure money is being sent to or received by the correct person. In some cases, Venmo will ask you for the last four digits of someone's phone number before completing a payment, thus ensuring a secure transaction.

Payments and transactions are shown on a feed similar to Facebook, showing things people are paying for between their Venmo friends (actual dollar values are not displayed). If you do not want your payments to be seen by other users, there is an option to make a transaction private.

Make Purchases

Not only can you send and receive money from friends and family through Venmo, but you can use it to make online purchases, as well as some retail purchases through the app.

Because Venmo is owned by PayPal, in some online shopping circumstances you can select PayPal as your payment method which will bring up a separate prompt asking if you'd like to complete the transaction through Venmo. This means that online shopping can be even easier, and provides more flexibility in payment methods.

Additionally, Venmo makes it easy to split the cost of any in-app purchases between multiple people. Through its "buy now, split later" service, Venmo remembers the total cost of the purchase and will allow you to split in the next time you open the app.

Devices

Venmo is available on both iOS and android devices, making it available for anyone.

The Bad

Issues with Service Misuse

In fact, there are several reports which surfaced in the latter part of 2015, detailing how savvy scammers are using Venmo to defraud users, most often when the service is misused by sending money to one who is unknown to the payor. Venmo states that it is designed for payments between individuals who know and trust one another, and therefore discourages users from sending money to people they do not know, especially on large purchases like event tickets or websites like Craigslist.

It is important to realize that while the app is secure, there are some problems which one may encounter. Should a user erroneously send funds to someone, they are dependent upon the other party to return the funds. Venmo does not provide much assistance in returning funds in the event of payor error.

The Bottom Line

Venmo is a great mobile wallet option, making money transfer and mobile payments easy, as well as making purchases either online or in person at certain retailers.

Account set up is quick and easy, and users can be assured that their personal and sensitive information will be protected, as long as they are being careful and mindful of who they are sending money to and receiving money from. In the case of your phone being misplaced or lost, you can easily enter your account through Venmo.com and remove information connected to your phone. Additionally, Venmo stores all data on encrypted servers.

The majority of Venmo customer reviews are positive, highlighting the easy usability of the app and simplicity in communicating with friends and family about transactions. Some complaints include the automatic transfer fee being too high and very difficult customer service.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Venmo is my most trusted platform given that you can transfer money to your friends and family without having to share your card detail. You can also receive a Venmo debit card that comes in handy. The set-up of the app is pretty cute too, because you can add little emojis and animations to your message when sending money. I have never had issues with Venmo and I would suggest it to anybody.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I love venmo because of how easy it makes it to transfer money between friends. I like how you can keep a venmo balance and then pay from there if you have enough. I also like how you can request money so that your friends can easily just accept the request. I also think the venmo feed is fun to look at.

Dave Spokane, WA

Venmo is great because it is so widely used. I use it with my kids primarily, but I've also used it with vendors and other adults. I don't really care for the social media aspect of Venmo, so I just turn that off and keep everything private. I wish the free version had quicker transfers to and from my bank account, but I guess they have to make their money somehow!

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Venmo is an absolute lifesaver, I have no clue what people did without it. Makes it so easy when taking camping trips to split costs between friends and is a nice way to be able to pay small businesses as well.

18 hours ago

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have been using Venmo for years now, and I love it. I never need to carry cash anymore, which is great. It makes it so much easier to pay rent and split up bills between me and my roommates!

18 hours ago

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

Venmo has been such a help! It is so much easier to pay people back for stuff like food and rent using this app. Honestly I don't know what I could do if I didn't have it. Not to mention it's free!!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I started using venmo in college. I love Venmo, it makes paying things so easy. I shop at a lot of small businesses and Venmo is a very popular among newer businesses. I save my card in the app and I can send and receive money effortlessly.

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

Such a great app when it comes to paying friends back or making purchases off of FaceBook Marketplace. Much easier than trying to find the cash or write a check.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I like that Venmo is a mobile wallet that anyone can use with a smartphone. This makes it accessible to a lot of people. However, it can be difficult to connect the platform to your bank account.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Cash transactions with friends and businesses by using your phone app is commonplace. It's easy and simple. One of the downsides is that I find that almost anyone can see who I transact with, so privacy is a problem with venmo.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I always use Venmo as an easy way to collect money from people. I run a small business where I sell T-Shirts with graphic prints on them, and Venmo is one of my customer's easiest ways to pay me for the shirts they buy from me. This is very convenient too!

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

Venmo is very easy to use. I don't really need to see what other people have paid to whom. It'll be interesting to see how it grows.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

We own a rental property and VENMO is the site we have our renters pay us. It is secure and easy to use. All of my kids have VENMO as well so easy to send them money quick and secure.

Jessica Chen Gaithersburg, MD

I used venmo to send money to a friend for her to buy a t-shirt money transfer went through smoothly and process was easy to keep track of. Money has never gotten lost through venmo and was always received by recipient. I will be using venmo in the future to send payments.

Devin Williams Concord, CA

Venmo has been awesome. It is super easy to share money with people and pay people back

Mary Hardy Charlotte, NC

I am a check writing girl and this is the best app on my phone. I use it to pay weekly sitters, repay friends for lunch and pay my dog walker.

hminfo Olney, MD

Venmo is great when you have to gather money for a group payment. I used it recently and it was extremely easy to use for all involved.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

At first I was a little sketched out when using venmo but it is really convenient and you don't have to pay for anything if you do not want to. There is a section in their terms and policies that say they are not liable if someone hacks your account and steals money from your bank account that it is attached to. There is also no way to get your money back if you send it to the wrong person unless they send it back so use with caution.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I love using Venmo to transfer funds for services or purchases between friends and family members. The application is convenient and secure and it saves the cost involved in using a credit card or a check. It is also cheaper and quicker than using mail.

Tiffany I Hyattsville, MD

Venmo is such a great way to send/receive money. People sent me donations thru Venmo just by having me as a contact in their phone. I didn’t need to send any personal information and I linked it right to my bank acct for easy transfers

Kori Houston Tallahassee, FL

Very secure and easy to use. It’s great for transferring money to others.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

Venmo is great for paying your friends and makes paying rent easy. You can choose whether to make it visible to public, friends, or private, but it never shows the amount you're paying unless you're either the payer or the receiver. The emoji makes it fun. And balance transfer takes only one button and doesn't require fees unless you want it instantly on the same day. It's a simple trusted app for daily use.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Venmo has made no money transferring in my life so much easier. From paying for dance class to paying a Babysitter, or just making it easy to forget my wallet ;) Venmo makes my life easier. Venmo has an easy to use interface and I love that the people I am searching for just pop up as I start their names. I like that I have the choice to publish my money swapping or keep it private.

Noah Provo, UT

This is the most convenient app I've ever used. Perfect for friendly transactions.

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I joined Venmo a couple years ago because I wanted an easy way to pay back family and friends for money I owed them. I have been pleasantly surprised with how convenient and easy it is to use. It took just a few minutes to set up and link to my bank account. And each time I use it to pay someone it takes about 20-30 seconds. It’s super fast and so much easier than writing a check or finding the correct amount of cash. I use venmo to pay for my kids’ music lessons, babysitting, my hair dresser, fundraisers, paying back family members and friends, and so much more! I LOVE venmo. So glad I got the app and set it up a couple years ago!

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Venmo is the easiest way to transfer money. I use this app on the daily and love how easy and convenient it is.

Bethany Rockville, MD

Venmo makes payments between my friends and me easy and fast! The only issue is that it doesn’t give you an option to stop paying. Your friend has to refund you.

noemie causse Provo, UT

Very useful and very easy to use as well as safe.

Emily Alpine, UT

Best idea ever created! It makes paying people SO much easier! We’ve been using this app for years and it has only become more and more user friendly! We pay our kids school tuition through the app, parents, in-laws, friends and family for nights out - never worrying about keeping those tabs bc it’s so quick and easy.

Aaliya Ghadafii Tallahassee, FL

Since a lot of my friends have Venmo, it has my made my life easy when I need to send someone I know some money and I don’t have the cash on my. I could easily take the money from my card and Venmo to them. The app works flawlessly.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Venmo is so quick and easy. It is so easy to pay anyone you need by qr code or just quickly looking up their name. Friending people also makes it very easy. It's so nice to look up any past payments even with a specific person. You can keep your payments private and it is very easy to transfer in and out of your bank account with zero charge.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

The only way Venmo could be better is if it could be used for payment at more retailers or have faster transfers for a lower fee. I’m not one to pay 1% (max or $10) just to get access to my money right away but it’s a nice feature for other customers. The free 1-3 biz day option has worked reliably for me.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

I seriously use Venmo on a daily basis! It is so convenient! One thing that I love is I can keep a balance in my Venmo and it’s like a rainy day fund. It’s so easy and convenient. Especially when we are contactless I wish everyone excepted Venmo then I would never need my wallet 😅

Aallen Katy, TX

Venmo is such an easy app to use. I love the convenience and facility of transferring money with one or two clicks. Their biggest downside is there is no customer service. If you send money wrong-too bad. You’re out the finds. Always make sure you are transferring money correctly.

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

Venmo makes it so so easy to pay someone or request money. I use it most often to settle debts with friends and families, and occasionally to pay for a product. No more carrying around cash in case I need to pay a friend back from before!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Venmo has become my go-to money transfer app. It works great and for most transactions is free. The app does publicly show money transfers (not the exact amount) unless you turn off this feature and make it the transaction private.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

I honestly think Venmo is better than PayPal. The charging fee is wayyy better if you automatically want to put it in your bank. I use Venmo all the time to pay friends, babysit, and at the Farmer's Market sometimes. Venmo is a safe way to transfer your money to another individual. Venmo is a very convenient tool, if I could I would rate this a 10 star.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

I don't remember what my life was like before Venmo! Sounds a little dramatic, but this app has changed my life! When something comes along and simplifies your life, it deserves this kind of recognition. I hardly ever carry cash and writing checks is so 'old school'. Venmo is the ONLY way to go when it comes paying back your friends, splitting rent/utilities with roommates, paying for extracurricular activities, etc. The list goes on and on!

Teri M. Logan, UT

I was hesitant at first about trying Venmo because I don't like to share my information with people, but I'm glad I did. I can easily send and receive money for things like piano lessons, selling my kids outgrown clothes and much more. Makes life much easier when you don't have cash hanging around. I had to contact customer service with a question and they answered it quickly and efficiently.

Samantha Fayetteville, AR

I use Venmo all of the time. I am a college student and no body really carries cash anymore. Everyone I know uses some sort of electronic wallet like Venmo and I find this company in particular to be the most user friendly and easy to navigate. It is easy to find the people you are looking for on there which helps to not be concerned that you are sending money to the wrong person on accident. It is also really helpful to be able to request money from someone so then you don't forget to ask later or can complete the request at a time that works for you.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

I use Venmo daily. I cannot remember what life was like before I used Venmo - it is so easy to pay people using the app. The app has a clean and polished look and is easy to navigate. If you're looking for another way to use Venmo, I recommend applying for the Venmo Card (their version of a debit card). I use my Venmo card weekly and you can either connect it to your normal debit card or just use it when you have a Venmo balance. With or without the Venmo card, this app is very helpful when paying others!

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

Venmo makes it extremely easy to transfer money between friends! Not many of my friends use or carry cash, so Venmo allows us to eat out together without having to make the waiter stress about splitting the bill! I love Venmo because I can keep money in my Venmo account in case I need to transfer some of it to someone else. It is a really useful tool!

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I use Venmo frequently to share money with friends or family. It is such an easy app to use and allows me to pay people back or send money as gifts to others that I know. I have always appreciated how easy it is to figure the app out and also how much security they have put in place to ensure that your money is going exactly where it is meant to. I completely trust Venmo and will continue to use it.

William Golden Peekskill, NY

Works great. I receive payment from clients immediately and I am able to transfer it to my bank within 2 days for free.

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

Excellent, professional way to send and receive money. I only wish there was a smaller fee for instabt transfers.

MommaHarris Salt Lake City, UT

Overall I do like the convenience of Venmo, however there are lots of competitors out there now. My score is lower due to the hidden fees and lack of resources for customer service. They only have a business hours line to contact and during the pandemic have been shut down with now alternative to get help.

Kara Washington, DC

I seriously don’t know how I would manage my money without Venmo! It makes paying others and receiving payment SO easy and is always there in case I forget my card

Natalia schwab Lehi, UT

Love venmo! The easiest way to pay back your friends or get chore money or even send a little cash someones way for a little treat! I think It's also cute that you can leave a note along with it.

Cyd Vernon Collierville, TN

I use Venmo almost everyday for my job and it’s so easy to use and so helpful instead of writing checks. I feel like I pay people back more honestly since it’s so easy to send money back and forth.

ben a Provo, UT

I like using it to send money. Great that it has no fees. Much more user friendly than any other way to save money. We're still way behind China but love that we have Venmo in the US.