Since 1976, LifeFone has been helping people to live active, independent lives. Its systems and services offer independence and safety for any lifestyle. LifeFone’s reliable, affordable systems work at-home and on-the-go. LifeFone also offers mobile apps and care tools that help with aspects of daily living. Over the years, the LifeFone medical alert systems have earned the recommendation of hospitals, area agencies on aging, home health care providers, and geriatric care managers as an integral part of a customer's overall care program.

The company offers five different medical alert systems that range from $24.95 per month to $39.99 per month. All systems and plans include a base station, panic button, 24/7 emergency monitoring, easy installation, and optional fall detection. Additional highlights include no activation or equipment costs, a lifetime subscriber price and equipment guarantee, free protection for spouses, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can canel LifeFone's service anytime and you only pay for the time you used.

If you want to learn more about the customer experience, read LifeFone reviews below.LifeFone Special Offer

The Good

• LifeFone Cost
  • Variety of Medical Alert Packages
  • Equipment
  • No Contract
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Monitoring
  • Customer Service
  • Lifetime Price Guarantee
  • Caregiver Tools
  • Mobile Apps

LifeFone Cost

Depending on the package, LifeFone's monthly fee is between $24.95 and $39.99 for various nonstop monitoring and emergency dispatch services. There is no activation fee or equipment fee associated with setting up the account. Spouses are protected for free with the basic service, but automatic fall detection costs an additional $5 to $10 per month for most systems. LifeFone's pricing is on par with other top-rated medical alert companies.

Variety of Medical Alert Packages

Medical Alert has a variety of packages to appeal to consumers with a multitude of lifestyles. Package details for each Medical Alert plan are as follows:

At-Home Landline — $24.95 per Month

This medical alert plan is best for consumers who are looking for precaution and emergency assistance primarily in their own home. This package includes 24/7 service, and the base range signal goes up to 1,300 feet. The base station includes a 32-hour backup battery in the case of a power outage, and batteries for the medical alert pendant is monitored in Medical Alert's call center by the on-staff emergency responders. There is a two-way communication capability between the pendant and the monitoring center, which is especially ideal for anyone who is hard of hearing because the microphone is highly sensitive. You can add fall detection for an additional $5 per month.

At-Home Cellular — $30.95 per Month

The At-Home Cellular package is similar to the At-Home Landline package. The only difference is the At-Home Cellular plan uses a cellular connection instead of a landline connection, so you do not need a landline in order to use this package. This plan has the same 24/7 monitoring service, base range, and equipment available. Fall detection for this emergency button is also available with this plan for an additional 5$ per month.

At-Home & On-the-Go GPS — $36.95 per Month

This at-home service package is different from the two above because it can be used anywhere in the U.S. as long as there is AT&T cellular coverage where you are. It is equipped with a base station for your home and a mobile medical alert device you can take with you wherever you go. For an additional $10 per month, you can add a waterproof fall detection pendant to your plan that automatically sends an alarm signal to the Emergency Response Center if you fall or press the button.

At-Home & On-the-Go GPS, Voice-in-Necklace — $39.99 per Month

This medical alert system is a two-way voice pendant with built-in GPS. You can take the pendant anywhere in the United States (as long as there is Verizon cellular service where you are). The pendant is a lightweight necklace, and there is no other equipment you need to carry with you. The pendant also has a 30-day battery life.

For an extra $5 per month, you can obtain the fall detection to your pendant. You can take the pendant anywhere in the United States (as long as there is AT&T cellular service where you are), and it has a 5-day battery life.

Equipment

Lifefone offers a variety of different equipment, including in-home medical alarm systems and on-the-go alarm systems. Every system has a base unit and a medical alert pendant with a panic button of some sort. The basic at-home landline system ($24.95 per month) features a standard base unit with an alert button that functions as a wristband or pendant. The On the Go Voice in pendant ($39.99 per month) features a two-way voice pendant with GPS service that protects you 24/7 both in your home and anywhere you go in the U.S. An optional additional necklace or wristband to activate Voice in pendant while in the charging cradle is also available. All systems have fall detection capabilities, customized emergency care plans, and a backup battery life up to at least 30-32 hours.

A full side-by-side comparison table can be found on the company's website. Also, Lifefone offers a complete home package that includes the medical alert system and devices for fire detection, smoke detection, and carbon monoxide detection for $39.99 per month with an annual contract.

No Contract

LifeFone offers members the option of a monthly, quarterly, or yearly subscription service with no long-term contract. If members wish to terminate the service, they can do so at any time at no charge under LifeFone's lifetime warranty. If members have prepaid for their service, they will receive a refund on any unused prepaid service. This will provide peace of mind to any customers worried about buying out of a contract.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

Every LifeFone unit is backed by a lifetime equipment warranty, which includes no-charge equipment replacement for any medical alert service device. This can give customers peace of mind that they won't have to pay for repair or replacements if a piece of equipment breaks or malfunctions.

Monitoring

LifeFone offers 24/7 monitoring and provides optional fall detection with each of its systems. The company's fall detection pendants have built-in sensors that will detect a fall and instantly contact LifeFone's call center for help. Having 24/7 monitoring ensures the medical alert owner has protection 100% of the time in the case of an emergency.

LifeFone's professional emergency care agents are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So you never have to worry about an emergency going unanswered. LifeFone reviews also attest to exceptional customer service and a caring and attentive staff and monitoring service. Consumers can have peace of mind knowing LifeFone is a quality medical alert company that provides a positive customer experience. You can read LifeFone reviews below to see what past and current customers have to say about the medical alert provider.

Lifetime Price Guarantee

LifeFone offers a lifetime price guarantee, which means that the price customers pay for alarm systems upon signup will not be changed for the duration of the plan unless they switch to a new plan or product. This means no hidden fees or unsuspected changes on your monthly bill.

Caregiver Tools

LifeFone can help customers with some of the more routine but important aspects of daily living to ensure their wellbeing. The company offers additional care tools such as check-in services, medication reminders, system status alerts, and subscriber location service for those who subscribe to its on-the-go systems.

Mobile Apps

LifeFone offers two smartphone apps, Mobile Alert™ and Family Guard™. The Family Guard app gives families and/or caregivers the ability to configure family monitoring and tracking for the individual, while the Mobile Alert app allows the individual to get help anywhere in the U.S. through their cellular network service.

The Bad

Lack of Certification Information

Although LifeFone's monitoring team has undergone extensive training, it is difficult to determine whether or not these employees are EMT-certified based on the information provided on the company's website. However, LifeFone reviews below reference quality service and quick and efficient response times.

The Bottom Line

LifeFone is a well-respected company within the medical alert system industry and has a long history of providing helpful service. The company offers a number of different medical alert systems that should meet the needs of anyone looking for a basic in-home system to a versatile mobile system. LifeFone's medical alert service includes competitive pricing, no contracts, a lifetime equipment warranty, around-the-clock monitoring, two-way communication, and a variety of caregiver tools. Read LifeFone reviews below to get a better sense of how customers feel about the medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

LifeFone Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I choose LifeFone?

LifeFone offers our customers the following key advantages:

1. We put your safety first, starting with the equipment we provide to you. Many systems we see advertised today don’t pass LifeFone’s internal quality reviews. We offer you the same level of safety and equipment coverage that we would want for our own loved ones.

For example, our At-Home & On-the-Go GPS system comes with both a mobile unit and a base unit for the same price as others charge for just the mobile unit. This way, you have better range and protection in your home. And if there’s a second person in the home, you can both be protected at no additional cost.

2. We have customer-friendly policies. The following LifeFone policies are designed to give you financial peace of mind:

• No activation fees
  • No equipment fees
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Lifetime customer price guarantee
  • Lifetime customer equipment guarantee
  • Spouses protected for free with basic service
  • Just $5–$10 more per month to add automatic fall detection
  • Cancel at any time and pay only for the time you’ve used

How long has LifeFone been in business?

LifeFone has been in business since 1976 and is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.

Do I need a cell phone to use LifeFone’s at-home cellular system?

No. LifeFone’s At-Home Cellular System works with LifeFone’s cell phone service, not yours. It works using AT&T's cellular network. To learn more about AT&T coverage in your area, use the AT&T Coverage Viewer. You can also call us at 1-800-882-2280.

Does LifeFone offer automatic fall detection?

Yes. Automatic fall detection is an optional feature available with all of our systems.

What if I subscribe to LifeFone and I need to cancel my service?

All of our systems come with a 30-day risk-free trial. Return the equipment to us within 30 days, and we will give you a full refund. After your first 30 days, you can still cancel at any time for any reason and get a refund of any unused, prepaid service once you return the equipment to us.

Note: Should your needs change over time, there is no fee to switch to a new service. Your billing plan will be adjusted to match the rate for the service you choose.

When does the LifeFone 30-day money-back guarantee begin?

Your 30-day money-back guarantee starts three business days after your system is shipped.

Does LifeFone have a contract?

You make NO time commitment when you subscribe to LifeFone’s personal emergency response service, but we do ask you to sign a service agreement that clearly states the terms of service that we provide to you and your responsibility to pay for the service you receive, to provide us with your emergency contacts, etc. We ask you to sign that agreement as a responsible business practice.

You can cancel at any time for any reason. Just notify LifeFone by phone, email, or physical mail that you intend to cancel. LifeFone will stop billing you once we receive the equipment provided to you at no charge, and we will prorate a refund to you of any amount you have pre-paid.

Note: LifeFone’s Complete Home System, which includes a medical alert system, Fire/Smoke and CO Protection, does require a one-year commitment.

Does LifeFone charge equipment, activation or cancellation fees?

No. You pay only for your monitoring service. There are no additional fees and no minimum time commitments. And as your needs change over time, there are no switching or restocking fees if you change to a new system or add or subtract a feature such as automatic fall detection. You simply pay the new rate for the service you now have. LifeFone’s uniquely customer friendly policies are an important reason why people choose our services.

Darlene

December 7th, 2017 Granbury, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got it since I needed one of these. I think this is something that every woman who lives alone needs. I have used the device many times since I have fallen a lot and had a stroke. It has been invaluable to me, it has just saved my life. Everything about it is excellent. This is truly a gift of life.

Julie

December 7th, 2017 Rockport, IN' DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I needed one of these for my mother. She has the necklace, so it's not in the way or cumbersome. On an occasion she fell and broke her arm and couldn't get up. They contacted me and since I was home with her I was able to just go and help her. I'm very pleased with it. They always respond to us in a short amount of time and are very considerate when she accidentally pushes the button.

Lonnie

December 7th, 2017 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mom is blind, so I got it for her. She has the life alert necklace that goes around her neck. She can press the button if she's ever in distress. Sometimes she takes it off, but not often. She has had the device for five years now and we haven't had an occasion to use it yet. There's always someone with her, but we have it just in case she needs it at night. We do check it to make sure it works and on those occasions we get a response right away. There's no delay and the person on the other end of the line is always courteous and willing to help. The thing is not expensive either and I think it's good since it could save my mother's life.

Pat

November 15th, 2017 Tallmadge, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We researched on the internet a bit before getting it, but this service met our needs. I haven't had to use it, though there have been two times when I failed to put the thing back on the stand and they contacted me about it. I wear one of the units around my neck and the other one is close to the phone.

November 15th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have no complaints so far. The only interaction I've had so far was when I received my bills and when I needed to do my monthly checks. I haven't had to make use of it yet.

Silvia Koner

November 15th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I haven't had to use it, thank heaven, but I'm satisfied with the contact I've had with them.

Marge

November 15th, 2017 Catonsville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They always follow up immediately and have been very responsive when we test the things. My mother is the one that uses it. She had a fall after we got it for her and she couldn't get up and all she had to do was press the button. My only concern is that sometimes my mother won't push the button because she doesn't want the ambulance to go all the way there and bother them. I think she might be more willing if she was able to actually talk to them if something happens. The base is just too far away sometimes.

Margaret

November 15th, 2017 Ruffin, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It certainly works for me. I had an accident where I needed to call them and they responded very well. I was in need of help and they came out here as fast as they could. They've done everything they were supposed to do.

Timothy

November 15th, 2017 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got the service for my elderly sister. From the advertisement that I saw it sounded like it would be a good fit in case of emergencies for the elderly. Whenever I've tested it myself it seems to work the way it was advertised. I get an immediate response.

Norma

November 15th, 2017 Hacienda Heights, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At the time we looked the service up on the internet it had the most features for the least amount of money. So far I haven't had to use it at all since I've been in and out of the hospital. There have been a couple of times when it went off on its own and I didn't even notice. The people at LifeFone have been nice about it and turn it off immediately for me. Now I don't really need it since I have caregivers, but it has been adequate and a good safety net.

November 15th, 2017 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We researched a lot about the reliability, how long it had been in business, the services that it offered, and the price, and they were very competitive in their pricing so we decided to go with them. My husband has multiple serious health issues, so it helps me to know that he has the pendant or the base available when I have too go out of the house. It lets run my errands without having to worry as much. We have never had to use it for an emergency, but we keep one of the pendants in the bathroom at all times and he wears the other. That way, if he takes a shower and doesn't feel steady, he can use it since it's water resistant. We really like the features that the pendants have. It gives me peace of mind even though we're not using it.

Wallace

November 15th, 2017 Columbus, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A friend of mine ordered it for me and I'm happy with it. I live on my own and I know that I could have an accident any time, so I appreciate having it. There have been a couple of times when I thought I was going to have to use it, but I've never really had to. On an occasion I was out of the area and I accidentally bumped the button. The alarm was set off so the fire department went to my house and tried to find me. Nobody could find me so the broke into my house, though I did appreciate the fact that they tried to do everything they could because they couldn't find me. When I came back I noticed someone had broken in so I called them and they explained the situation to me. They were very helpful then and on other occasions when I called them. They would tell me what is happening and share information with me. I'm happy with it, I don't have any problem with them and I know if anything happens they will talk to me.

Mamie

November 15th, 2017 Albertville, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I hear really good things about it by word of mouth and since I didn't necessarily want anything too expensive I went with them. On an occasion I went out to my mailbox with my walker and I fell. I had the button around my neck so I pushed it. Since I was outside I tried to get as close as possible to the kitchen door and could hear the person talking on the monitor. They couldn't hear me, but they called an ambulance and they were there within a few minutes. The system doesn't work outside of my house, but it does work in my basement and in all the bedrooms. If I accidentally take the button with me somewhere outside my house they will contact me to make sure that things are good. I feel good knowing that they monitor that kind of thing. The device is comfortable to wear around the neck and I don't think it looks ugly. It's very easy to fasten it and large enough that I can take it off without messing my hair or anything. It looks like ivory. I don't really mind wearing it at all and the price is reasonable. Since I'm on social security that's really great.

Marge Hansen

November 1st, 2017 Capitola, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have rarely been treated so poorly by anyone, let alone a salesperson in a service industry. Stay away from LifeFone if you value and want compassion and understanding.

A. Frankel

June 12th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

My experience with Lifefone has been excellent, whenever I have concern or question about anything they are ready to answer and help me out. They are very professional and understanding and take their time to help me test my system every month. I would definitely recommend Lifefone.

brian davis

June 7th, 2017 New York, NY

was very impressed last month when my mother needed to be taken to a doctor after pressing her lifefone button. The customer service was friendly and expedient and feel peace of mind-- definitely recommend this service. BD

S Matthews

November 2nd, 2016 New York, NY

We got this service for my Mom 2 years ago and we have been very pleased with it. Lifefone has gotten her help quickly every time she needs it, she falls quite often. They also call us every time to let us know whats going on, which is great! The operators are really patient with her. We recommend lifefone to all our friends who worry about their parents being alone. So good job!

Betsy B

August 5th, 2016 Miami, FL

My mother has had LifeFone since my father died six years ago. The service gives us both tremendous peace of mind. She is very particular, and she finds the people there to be both helpful and professional. We had a false alarm about nine months ago when her phone was busy for hours. I didn't know what to do, as I was living in another state. I was ready to get on a plane, fearing the worst. I called LifeFone for advice, and the LifeFone agent was wonderful. She suggested that she send a police officer to do a welfare check. It turned out that my mother had left the phone off the hook. LifeFone gave me a simple and fast solution. They were reassuring and effective at a time when I was panicking, and I am very grateful.

Kathy V.

July 22nd, 2016 Bay Shore, NY

We got LifeFone for my mom who lives 1000 miles away in a rural area. She'd had a mild heart attack and was weak on her feet, and we were all worried she would fall and not get help for hours. I feel so much better knowing she can speak with someone immediately, who will get her help quickly. The customer service people were very kind and patient with us when we called with questions. My sisters and I are glad that we chose this company.

Victoria Riley

July 22nd, 2016 Poughkeepsie, NY

We are very happy with the piece of mind having LifeFone gave me and my family. Knowing our mother is only the push of a button away from getting help if she needs it reassures us all. All the people I've dealt with, from the Central Station to billing qustions we had were, were very helpful and easy to deal with.

jane limberg

April 19th, 2016 West Bend, WI

Had LIFEFONE for 2 years - not knowing there was no landline. Paid for an unavailable service & was never advised accordingly.

Matthew H

February 4th, 2016 Fort Myers, FL

I bought LifeFone for my grandmother last year. She has used it a few times now and the employees at LifeFone were very nice and seemed helpful when we talked to them. We are very happy because she wears it all the time and we even recommended it to our neighbor!

TJF

October 26th, 2015 Clarkston, MI

We've had this for a few days now and are happy with the system and the response team and intend to keep the system for the long term. After the initial sale, their customer service can be exasperating. It took several calls to get satisfactory responses to product issues, exchanges, etc. Often, promises were made to fulfill my requests but nothing happened and then additional calls were required. I finally learned out of exasperation to email [email protected] to receive prompt and effective service. I hope we're through the "growing pains" and will do well from now on.

patt hoffman

June 11th, 2015 Troy, IL

It worked great until they updated something then it didn't work. Spent hours trying to get it work. Wouldn't give me a refund for the time it didn't work...said it's my phone line though nothing changed but their update.