Schwan's Logo

6.6

If you were looking for a meal delivery service that caters to your entire family's needs, this is it: meet Schwan's. They have fried chicken for your kids, but they also have the gluten-free kind. If your child has a sweet tooth, they offer children-approved French toast pieces. For your parents, they offer meal options that are low in sodium. And for you, there is fresh fruit... and don't forget the pan-fried vegetables. Everybody's happy, which isn't common, right? Founded in 1952 by Marvin Schwan, the company currently employs more than 6,000 Customer Service Managers, catering to the needs of the many homes requesting Schwan's services. This company offers more than you ever thought possible in a meal delivery service, which means that you will find all of your needs to be met in a given place. Read on to find out if these services are meant to help you in the journey that you and your family are undertaking.

The Good

• Options
  • Money back guarantee
  • Gluten-free choices
They offer over 650 family classics, flash-frozen in order to preserve meals longer. Here's how it works: they want you to browse through their items until you've picked out your family's favorites. Once you've placed your order, they want you to choose your delivery date and preferred time frame. Finally, they make sure that you are satisfied with your order or your money back. They make sure that they prioritize customer service because they understand the importance of being satisfied with services offered. They offer many options in the gluten-free category. It is important to note that their gluten-free selections have been certified by the Celiac Support Association (CSA), which is stricter than the FDA, as the CSA requires foods to have less than five parts per million. Some options in this selection include white bread, brownie bites, blueberry streusel muffins, breaded chicken bites, pepperoni pizza, and a four-cheese pizza. Their LiveSmart options, a specialty of Schwan's, include oatmeal, fruit bars, edamame, spaghetti, sweet cut corn, guacamole, and lettuce wraps. Their vegetarian options are many, and they include Brussels sprouts, a vegetable medley, fresh-cut fruit plates, broccoli & cheese, asparagus, rice pilaf, fried rice, sweet potato fries, crispy waffle fries, and mashed potatoes. Aside from gluten-free, LiveSmart and vegetarian options, they offer alternatives that are low in sodium, low in calories, and have no added sugars. This is important to note because not all options offered by Schwan's are healthy, and these offer an alternative to that. If you want to give families the gift of great food and great memories, there are gift cards that range from $10 to $300, making it perfect for anything from a birthday, to Mother's Day, to Christmas. Ultimately, you decide if you like it enough to pass on the word, but since it has so many different options, everybody should find something that they like. You select the amount of money you want to give, then you select a gift card holder until finally you personalize the gift card holder, saying whom it's from, to whom it's being given, and writing a message.

The Bad

• Weight loss
This meal delivery service is, more than anything, like a grocery store. It has healthy products, but it also has the unhealthy ones. This is not a weight loss program, but it should still reduce the amount of deep-fried foods in which it offers. Americans' problems with obesity and heart disease have been directly correlated to food habits in the past, and they are only enforcing families to continue with these unhealthy habits despite their attempts to implement diet-based options. They should cook alternatives, trying to use less oils and fatty ingredients. Schwan's should also aim to use different cooking methods, rather than constantly deep-frying, while trying to find a similar taste. For this price, you're also better off going to the grocery store if you're looking to indulge in these unhealthy foods regardless. It is at least important for them to continue placing ingredients and nutritional information on their website. This way, we can stay informed on what we are eating if we wish, and make smart decisions based on that information. For example, although their corn mix is healthy, it comes with four servings, at 90 calories each serving. This is important to know, but with deep-fried food items, it becomes an increasingly more alarming concern. Foods that have zero nutritional value are made out of empty calories, which are the worst foods we could put into our bodies. Their popcorn shrimp serves eight people, at 220 calories a serving; many families eat more servings than is recommended, which is already an issue without the item consisting of zero nutritional value. They should aim to make their services enough for simply one or two people, rather than several. This would allow families to exert self-control and deliberately eat less, but more likely, it will make people realize the mistakes that they had been making before. Companies across the board should strive to offer much variety, but of the healthy kind-which is what Schwan's partially does.

The Bottom Line

Ultimately, if you use Schwan's, it should be on occasion or if you don't have enough time to make it to the grocery store. This is not only because of the unhealthy choices, but because it is generally more costly, so if you have the time and the resources, you'll be saving yourself money by making dinner yourself-in the short and long term. Health issues might arise if you make wrong choices in terms of your meals. Schwan's does offer a variety of options that will keep the whole family satisfied, though, and if chosen correctly, meals could be of nutritional value, too. Due to the variety of diet options-such as the ones that are gluten-free, low in sodium, and with no added sugars-there is plenty to go around. Opt for the fresh fruits and vegetables, and make sure that your children learn to eat moderately and slowly. Schwan's could be a great family tool if used wisely.

Jackie Spokane, WA

We were a customer of Schwan's delivery service for years - our family loved many of the products, and we had a good relationship with our delivery driver.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Schwans has been used by my grandmother and my mother. I have been a participating customer as well. They have an incredible variety and are always on time and willing to help. All of their food that I’ve ever eaten is very delicious and surprises me when I eat it.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Even though we are chefs sometimes we don't like to do the cooking for large crowds at our home. We have used their service a few times and they have delivered great food each time. Very impressive service for the money.

Donna Presley Lakeland, FL

Love the sausages, they have a box of patty like sausages that are great. Telling you once you try them you will not want any from anywhere else but here. The ice creams are great, they have so many types of Ice Cream, they even have it for you fur babies. The only thing that I can find wrong is the prices, I'm sorry but some of them are just WAY too high. They should go in and repaired

Deborah Benner West Hills, CA

My experience has been a positive one. The food is so fresh and comes packed in dry ice. The food is so tasty and delicious. They give you a large amount of food and the prices are reasonable. They call prior to shipping just to make sure the address is correct. If you don’t call right back to confirm order, they will cancel it.

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

Life growing up was not complete for me as a kid without seeing the Schwan's Truck at our house. My mother would order from the Schwan's truck almost every week. As a young child I grew up on the ice cream and other delicious meals.

Cocoman M Bakersfield, CA

I have used scwans off and on for20 years,and I just can't be praise them enough. Delivery days are like a kids Christmas waiting for santa. There pot pies. Cordon Bleu Italian ice cream and many others are the best. Prices seem high cause they sell packages not single but it's worth it.

Michael E Berrett Lindon, UT

Schwan's is a great organization as far as consistency of quality product, reliability with delivery and connection to customers, and I have found their food to be absolutely excellent. The only downside in my opinion to Schwans is the expense of the product combined with the expense of the delivery service. We loved it and enjoyed it - then later decided that we truly couldn't adored to continue. Great company!

wayne sanders Valley Center, CA

I have previously used the Schwans delivery service but it was quite a few years ago. I was skeptical about being able to use it for our large family who was on a budget as well as if the quality of the items was good. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was worried for nothing! there was always several items on special and the items that I chose to purchase were always great tasting. I also felt like it was a pretty good value for my money. the best part.....they came to me!

mgillings

As I child I always dreamed of having the Schwan man come to my house! As an adult I still love them! They have great meal options, and a lot of my favorite childhood treats. They have added so many special diet option and the single serve dishes are delicious! I really love how easy it is to order online and have my food delivered right to my door!

Amber Saratoga Springs, UT

We’ve had schwan’s Home food service for about 5 years now. They come to my house every 2 weeks. Sometimes I find that 2 weeks is too often and there are certain times of the year that I have them come monthly instead. It’s nice to have that kind of flexibility. The sales people are always so friendly and NOT pushy which I love. The quality of food is amazing. I love all the options. When I think of Schwans I automatically think ice cream because it’s so good, but they have great meal options too.

Katie Elliott ,

I love Schwan's. This brings back a lot of childhood memories. The ice cream and push up pops were my favorite although the tamales and pizza are really close.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I loved nothing more than the Schwan's delivery day as a kid. I just recently saw the delivery person stopped and placed an order for the first time as an adult. It is great for busy families on the go.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

We love Shwans! I grew up with their ice cream treats as a child, and have since started purchasing them for my own children! The freezer is always stocked! Great quality and great taste!

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

My In-laws when I met my wife got things delivered from Schwan's every other week. I always thought they were a little crazy unit they got us some things after we got married. The food and service from Schwan's is amazing and we continue to get things from them on a regular basis

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

Their food is always good and has a guarantee. Granted it’s not the cheapest but I guess because it is delivered that makes sense. Before I started making bread I would buy their French bread a lot. Their fish always seems to be good. And of course let’s not forget they’re amazing ice cream. As my family has gotten larger I’ve not been able to afford them as much but I do splurge on certain items

Erika American Fork, UT

Love the food from Schwans. I have the best memories as a kid when my mom used to order Schwans. My favorite was the ice cream sandwiches, ice cream, pizza and the chicken cordon bleu. Very yummy food. I also have always felt that they have used high quality ingredients.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

Such a cool idea! Great frozen foods that are perfect for busy lives; they are easy to make and deelish. The customer service that the drivers provide is unreal and they are all so nice. I have been a customer for years and they consistently provide a great experience to their customers.

Debbie Stringham Garden City, UT

So grateful that they come to our little rural community. We enjoy that convenience of having good food and delicious treats brought to our house.

Melanie Miller West Jordan, UT

We look forward to the Schwan truck coming every two weeks. We love their frozen veggies and diced chicken meat. Of course, the ice cream is amazing!

Mindy Smith Smithfield, UT

We ordered from Schwan's 2 different times and our experience was ok. We got chicken and it was really thin and almost disintegrated in my crockpot but the salmon we got was fantastic. This causes me to have mixed reviews.

Sue O Boulder, CO

When I was a kid, we loved Schwans. You picked out what you wanted and the delivery person went out to the truck and you were done. Back then it was delicious. So I get a coupon and I think about past positive experiences and I bite. I place my order on December 19th, thinking it would be nice to have specialty items for the holiday season. When I get to the end of the ordering process, I learn the delivery will be Dec 28th. OK, won't be here for Christmas but still before New Years. They said the delivery will be between between 2 pm and 5 pm so we wait, we put a freezer duffel outside our apartment door, in case we don't hear a knock at the door. At 6:15 pm, I call the 800 number - customer service guy starts counting how many orders are before ours: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and then stops counting out loud as he realizes this ins't sounding good. To make a long story short, our food never came. So, when they open on the 29th, I call again to find out when our order will be delivered. The customer service lady informs me that the driver noted that we weren't home. Total lie. We were checking the hallway outside our apartment every 10-20 minutes after my first call to customer service. She says my next delivery date is January 8th!! That is 3 weeks after I placed the order!!!!!! I cancelled the order and my account and will never bother ordering from Schwans again. Will never recommend them. What used to be is no more. I don't even know if the quality is what it used to be.

Debbie Burke Saint Paul, MN

They lied to me! I was ordering 243.00 worth of food to send to my son and family in Michigan. She told me they don't have schwans there so I would have to pay a extra 59.99. Then I find out from my son today saying he sees them all the time. So again I call and they said I shouldn't have hit sending to friends and family buttons, even though they make you hit it to send to someone else! I could've done it another way but that girl insisted they didn't have a schwans in Michigan! Then I call again because by this point I was done and wanted it cancelled! The manager said it was to late. The girl said she'd give me 200 points, so I asked how much that was worth. She told me it was worth 20.00 only to be lied to again, it was only worth 10.00 so I'm looking at it as they still owe me! The manager was rude and very nasty! They should listen to all the tapes but don't care! I got ripped off and it's not cheap for this stuff. It's also very small amounts so I had to double and triple order! As far as I'm concerned and all the one stars they have, obviously everyone else has been screwed over! Don't trust this company! If you order you'll be sorry! TRUST ME😞

L. Bortvit Halfway, MO

I ordered a gift card for my Mother’s birthday. They had the option to overnight it so I paid an extra 30 dollars to overnight it and get it to her on her birthday. When she didn’t receive it, I started making phone calls. I talked to at least 5 different people throughout the course of this mess. They all gave me a different story as to why I didn’t have the gift card and that they would escalate my concern and that I should expect a call in 1 to 2 business days. Which didn’t happen for a week and a half by the way. They sure didn’t waste any time processing my payment as it went through the day after I placed the order. So they took my money knowing that the card wouldn’t get overnighted to me as not one person I talked to said it was even possible to get a gift card overnighted!! I’ve asked for a refund since the card didn’t arrive on time for my mother’s birthday, but they said all they can do is refund the shipping fees. Well it’s been 2 weeks and I have yet to get any kind of refund. The customer service was some of the worst I’ve seen! Especially Kathy in the “gift card” department. Absolutely no williness to make this right as they just couldn’t have cared less! I will NOT order from them ever again. And I highly discourage anyone ordering a gift card.

Myung Cordrey

The order was in a garbage bag hanging outside the truck about two feet away from the Circle K garbage cans. The delivery person, Andy, was belligerent, rude, and just a mean person to the gate guards and to my husband, who met him at the Circle K because the driver refused to come on base. We had written in the special instructions that we lived ON/IN Luke AFB, and to call us if he had any questions. There are many deliveries that come on base from furniture delivery to Papa John's Pizza. I understand he didn't want to sign the security paperwork, but he could have handled it a professional manner as I would have expected from a representative of Schwan’s. He insisted that it was OUR fault, and that we must call Schwan's RIGHT NOW to make sure deliveries could be made in the future. He sat in the van and didn't even come out until my husband knocked on the window, and that's when Andy had the gall to beret my husband. How long was the food hanging out in the garbage bag? Was it Andy's unprofessional and thoughtless way to tell us to never order from Schwan's? Our experience was horrific, and I would never recommend this brand to anyone at the base. Please remove our names from your marketing and absolutely NEVER have Andy call/text us in the future. I would recommend some serious customer service training to Andy as he is exceptionally rude and condescending, which I am sure does not truly represent Schwan's ethics and behaviors.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Schwans delivered to our home for years. the made sure to leave the food catalog before leaving so we could know what to order for next time. Yummy meals and the food tasted fresh.

JAKE American Fork, UT

We used to get Schwans all the time. They have some really great products and everything is made with quality ingredients. They had a peanut butter cup ice cream that was amazing. We would eat it almost every night. The price point is a little high which is why I only did 4 stars.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

My parents used to order from the Schwann's truck when I was a kid. There is literally nothing in this world better than their bagel dogs. I don’t know if they still make them. But seriously, nothing.better.ever.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I used to use this service but it was many years ago. until this survey I didn't even know that they were still around! I really liked using Schwans those years ago because even with a large family there were so many items that were a good value or there were always many items on sale that it was "worth" it. I think ill look them up again!

Shaylee Provo, UT

Schwan's is very simple and nice to use. It is nice if it is hard for you to go and grocery shop a lot. It is home delivery so they bring the products directly to your door step. They are prompt in delivering it when they say they will.

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

I love Schwan's truck-delivery meal plans. They've delivered to my family for years, and I can't get enough of them! My absolute favorite has got to be the Mexican Pizzas, they're fantastic.

Mildred Carter Woodbridge, VA

Schwan's is the reason why I fell in love with rocky road. No lie. They came to the house, offered the book and I saw it and thought it was the coolest thing. So we got it- and I fell in love with it. Their food was generally VERY nice, and very tasty although it is also a bit pricey.

Donna Williams Phoenix, AZ

Love Schwans! I used Schwans a few times as a Christmas present to my in-laws and some other family members. They loved it! The food was delicious and easy to prepare. I will definately use them again and again!

Rachael Kerr Gilbert, AZ

Schwan's has some great food, I especially like the ice cream selection. However I've also had some food from Schawn's that wasn't the best. It's kind of a gamble on what you buy, but once you find the stuff that you like, it's pretty good.

Whitney Hawkes Saratoga Springs, UT

I love Schwan’s a lot. It has so many options and really good food. I also love how if we are not there when they come, they will give you a paper that tells you when there next visit will be.

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

I feel this company is dishonest. They are always sending their guys out to sell door to door. "I just had an order cancel. If I go back with all this food I'll get fired. I'll give you a good deal on it." Lie, Lie, Lie. The quality is NOT good.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

It was always an exciting day when we saw the Schwanns food truck pull up in front of our house. The food is great and is convenient to have delivered right to you

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

I grew up on Schwan's. And when I became an adult we decided to give it a try again. I was not impressed with the quality of the food and the price. It was just too much money for what you get and food wasn't great.

L. Stockton Rocky Mount, NC

Excellent food choices and convenient. The only negative is I hear they don't always treat their employees (drivers) fairly. But as far as food and service, I'm happy.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

The quality of the food and product you get is amazing. My issue only came when we decided to go a different direction and cancel. It took many different attempts and steps to finally get someone to approve our cancelation. We had fulfilled our contract so I didn't understand why it was so difficult to cancel.

Aimee Mortensen Pleasant Grove, UT

You can schedule Schwan’s to come whenever you want, on a reoccurring schedule or just when you need something. The convenience of having it brought to your door is great and there’s a wide variety of food to choose from.

Amy Christian Las Vegas, NV

I love to stock my freezer with Schwan foods. My kids enjoy the icecream sunday cones and the whole family loves the pot roast. Delicious and so easy to order.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

Schwan's offers high quality food. They also offer a nice variety of items that I would not normally try. The prices are higher but the ver personal service you get somewhat offsets this concern.

chris Francom Houston, TX

I really like the variety of foods that they offer. My picky kids enjoy almost everything I get from them. You can order once and have it dropped at your door. It is a bit on the expensive side in my opinion.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

Absolutely love them. The only negative thing is trying to get a delivery date that is a little more comvienent for me. Customer service and our driver is amazing

Brittney Miskin Riverton, UT

Schwans has great delicious food delivered right to your door! Almost everything they sell is great tasting, and their drivers are always polite and courteous.

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

We used to use Schwan's a few years back. I enjoyed the convenience of having them deliver to our home but the cost just didn't seem comparable to the products. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great and the cost was too high. Their ice cream is the best tho and we really miss that.

Lindsey A Brown Lehi, UT

Great food, great prices, and an overall good variety that the family really enjoys. Not to mention having it delivered to my door...how great is that! Big thumbs up to the Schwan Man as the kids call him.

Annie Orr Provo, UT

We got my grandparents Schwan’s for Christmas one year and it was a hit. They loved it. The food that was provided was always so good and they were very helpful if we had any questions or concerns.

Lori Sugar Grove, WV

I place my orders online. No excuse not to have the items since I place orders well in advance. The promotion was 20% off $100. Because they did not have 2 of my items I did not receive the discount and was charged more for the items I did receive. Never again. Schwans company is basically a scam, and steal their customers money.