Sleep Number Logo

6.9

LAST UPDATED: May 16th, 2022

Since the first Sleep Number store opened in 1987 under the name Select Comfort, the company has transformed the mattress industry with the idea that "one size does not fit all" when it comes to sleep. Their Sleep Number adjustable air mattresses use an air pressure setting to adjust the level of support on each side of the bed. This way, if you need more or less support due to your weight, sleep position or pain, you can adjust the bed’s firmness, so that both you and your partner get a good night's sleep on a comfortable mattress set for your individual needs.

They currently offer 8 different Queen size options ranging in price from $999-$5,099. There are a few types of mattresses available, but all of them are Smart Beds with Responsive Air technology that can automatically adjust while you are sleeping to make sure you get deep, restful sleep.

They also use a system called Sleep IQ to track each night’s sleep quality. Sensors inside the bed measure your breathing, heart rate, and movement to provide insight into what you need to get a better night's sleep. Results and info are viewable online or via a mobile app. You can also control your bed with the SleepIQ mobile app or the special remote.

Here is a breakdown of the current options:

• The Classic series includes the two lowest-priced options and a choice between a 2 or 3-inch gel-infused foam comfort layer.
  • The mid-range Performance series has two options and includes either a 4-inch Dynatex and Ergonomex comfort layer or a 5-inch Coolgenex comfort layer and an Ergonomex support layer to help support your pressure points. The different combinations help provide varying levels of pressure relief and support.
  • The luxury Innovation collection includes options with an even thicker foam layer and an added temperature balancing technology if you are a hot sleeper.

Sleep Number's adjustable air mattresses are also made to be usable with an adjustable base. The FlexFit adjustable base lends an added level of adjustability to help alleviate back pain and snoring, but also includes extras like foot warming and under-bed lighting.

You can purchase Sleep Number mattresses or a Flexfit adjustable bed online or from one of 550+ branded retail stores nationwide.

Keep reading to learn more about Sleep Number and to read Sleep Number mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Comfort Trial
  • Warranty
  • Shipping

Financing Options

Financing is available online, in-store, by phone or Live Chat. Their budget-smart financing lets you pay for your mattress over time. You can enjoy everyday financing for 12 months or limited-time promotional financing offers.

Comfort Trial

A 100-night comfort trial is offered on Sleep Number mattresses. If owners are not satisfied, they can return the product within 100 days. They will be refunded, less original shipping fees.

Customers will be responsible for return shipping. This gives you the chance to see if the mattress fits your expectations.

Warranty

Defects are covered by a 25-year limited warranty. This includes all parts of the mattress and foundation. Costs for repairs or replacement parts for your air + foam bed is prorated based on your purchase date.

Shipping

Sleep Number beds ship through either standard UPS or with white glove service. You can choose. Standard ground shipping with UPS costs $89.99. Home delivery and setup costs $199.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • Shipping

High Prices

Sleep Number offers very advanced products compared to other run-of-the-mill mattress stores. Therefore, their products are rather expensive. If you choose to purchase a mattress from Sleep Number, you will be paying somewhere between $899 and $5,000.

Shipping

Along with the high price of their mattresses, shipping is costly as well. It is great that they give you the option to choose between white glove or standard delivery, but other luxury options, like Tempur-Pedic mattresses, come with free shipping.

The Bottom Line

Sleep Number has been offering its products and services to its customers for about 30 years. They have gained the trust of their customers by offering multiple financing options, a desirable return policy, and a variety of products and price ranges to choose from.

However, because of their advanced technology, mattresses here are going to cost more compared to regular innerspring, or memory foam mattresses.

View Best Mattress Companies

Barbara Buckley Sarasota, FL

I love my sleep number bed, because I can change the firmness at the press of a button. Sometimes I need the mattress a little firmer and sometimes a little softer. I also love the fact that I can turn on the foot warmer, even here in Florida, you need a little bit of heat from time to time. Another important feature was the weight of the mattress. most mattresses are heavy when you need to lift and change the sheets. With Sleep Number, the mattress is extremely light. This is important as you age! Adjusting the head or foot is also a wonderful feature. I bought a second Sleep Number, nonadjustable bed for our guest room and our guests have stated how comfortable it is and how wonderful that they can adjust the firmness to meet their needs. Best bed ever! I am not sure how I feel about their Sleep IQ scores. I never feel like it matches how I sleep, when I compare my score with my husband's score. I do not find it to be accurate.

Harold Honeyman Boardman, OR

I currently own my second Sleep Number bed, gave my first one to my son and daughter in law when they bought my house. My wife and I bought our first bed in January of 2014 and never regretted it. I bought my current Sleep Number bed in July of 2021. I was tired of waking up with my back and shoulders hurting every morning, while trying to sleep on a regular mattress. I dislike the initial cost of a Sleep Number bed but, after a few weeks of good nights sleep, the sting wears off as the back pain disappears. In addition the customer service is very good before and after the sale. The crew that delivers and sets up the bed really know what they are doing and make sure it is working properly, with you before they leave. I received a phone call a week or so later from my salesperson to ensure I was a satisfied customer. I liked the 36 months 0% financing as well for qualified customers. Overall I highly recommend Sleep Number!

Luke Swierczynski Franklin, MI

When I was shopping for a mattress the sleep number was definitely interesting. The ability to change your number based on your sleep to get the perfect bed was super appealing, but I don't toss and turn much or fluctuate in weight so not much of a point for me. If the technology ever decreases in cost I'd definitely consider it, but given how often you're supposed to get a new bed I don't see the value of the investment. They feel high quality though and are super comfortable.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

I have LOVED my sleep number bed. I have owned mine for almost 12 years now and I have only needed to replace the top pillow mattress. It was so helpful when I was pregnant and recovering from surgery to be able to adjust the firmness of my side of the bed. All the while not affecting my husbands sleep. I would definitely recommend this bed to anyone!

Alexandria Lekberg Ellicott City, MD

We used to have one and loved it but changed over to Tempurpedic! It was great while we had it. You should try it in a store first to see if you like it! What I like about it was that I had a different number than my husband and could have it less firm than him. He likes the bed more firm so it works great for him too! Pick your number and save it!

Bob Trammell Bakersfield, CA

We have had this mattress for many years and it is still comfortable! It is easily adjustable for firmness so my wife and I are both comfortable. Unlike some mattresses, you can easily roll over the middle to the other side (we have a King) with no "bump" in the middle. It holds the pressure we set it to. The mattress is lightweight and was very easy to put together and install on our existing frame.

Ronald Lashley, Jr. Auburn, WA

One of the best mattresses I've ever owned and I'm overdue for an upgrade. I noticed an immediate difference in how my body felt in the morning after a night's good sleep on mine. Now being in my 50's and after decades of physically abusing my body exercising and doing obstacle course races, having a bed that contours and supports your body is essential. I'm a fan for life. Also having dual chambers is a must if you are sharing your sleeping space and have different needs

Ben MN

My sleep number bed is the absolute best thing since sliced bread I set my sleep number and in a matter of mins I am out like a light and sleep the entire night from the 1 st night I got it and still to this day almost 3yrs later I don't think it's even possible to get a better night's sleep than I am now with my sleep number. When it comes time to replace this bed trust and believe me it will be replaced only with another sleep number mattress!

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I have two Sleep Number 360 c2 Smart Beds. Without question they are my favorite beds. They can be preset to adjust firmness and they further adjust themselves automatically as I sleep. I can tilt the headboard up or down for additional comfort. There is a light underneath the bed that comes on whenever I get out of bed during the middle of the night. The computer app gives me a sleep score each day based on heartbeat and rate of breathing. They are both so comfortable I would never buy another brand again.

Kristen Parsons Sandy, UT

I had the BLESSING of sleeping on a sleep number mattress in a hotel I was staying in for business. I spent 5-10 minutes "finding my number" with the instructions that the hotel provided. I have chronic pain in my back finding sleep a tough endeavor. Let me tell you when I say I didn't wake up ONCE that night, or any of the 4 nights I slept on that mattress. Trying to convince my husband to get rid of our new mattress for a sleep number!

Audrey Macfarlane Dallas, TX

I moved from Utah to Texas and had zero furniture. I've always had back issues and my husband wakes me up when he moves around in the night, Sleep Number is the only company who offers mattresses that meet all my needs and my back pain has greatly decreased. So impressed and happy that I purchased this mattress.

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

My wife and I have had trouble sleeping and have gone through numerous mattresses. We bought a Sleep Number a couple months ago and have loved it. I have had two back surgeries and used to wake up sore each morning. Now with the Sleep number I don't have all the aches and pains in the morning.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

My favorite thing about Sleep Number mattresses is their adjustability. I tend to like mattresses more firm for my back while my partner prefers a softer feeling. We've both been able to sleep beautifully in Sleep Number beds because we can change the firmness of the mattress and also its angle. It's truly the evolution of mattresses!

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

We got our first sleep number bed 6+ years ago when we bought our current house and it was a great splurge. We move our bed every night to watch tv and it’s so nice to have that flexibility to change the bed setting and monitor our sleep with the SleepIQ technology. We love it!

Brittany Clark Meridian, ID

I love this bed! It's so smart and gives me so much data about my sleep. It's fun to track my sleep and how my dogs affect the bed. It was definitely worth the price!! Such a comfortable bed that is awesome to adjust it to my needs.

Missy Charleston, IL

I've been sleeping on a Sleep Number bed for probably 10+ years now. Granted, my bed is probably the most scaled down model -- not nearly as fancy as the ones available now -- but I love it! I basically let most of the air out of my side so it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud. My husband likes his a lot more firm. That's why I love it so much; we can both adjust our sides to be exactly what we want while still sleeping in the same bed.

Ida McCarty Chicago, IL

I went into Sleep Number to try out the mattresses. The minute that I entered the store, I knew that I would be in for a pleasant surprise. It felt like a car showroom, with some of the most beautiful mattresses on display. I just had to stretch out on one, just to see if it was as comfortable as it looked. I can assure you that it was very comfy. Was not ready to make a purchase. But I know now that this is the mattress that I will be purchasing.

Jillian Johnson Cullman, AL

Knowing that you can sleep better with SleepIQ technology that tracks your sleep every night, gives you personal insights that will create a better sleeping environment is a great reason to invest in a Sleep Number bed and pillow. Depriving your body of sleep means a less productive time and hurts your overall health. So it is vital to invest in a bed and pillow that will enhance and improve your health. That is what Sleep Number gives you.

melissa sorensen Spanish Fork, UT

We love our california king sleep number bed. My husband likes it soft and I like it firmer. If we changed anything we should have gotten the adjustable base. Next time, except our mattress will probably last forever.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Sleep Number are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The pricing is very high, but it can be worth it if you get one on sale. The beds have air chambers that are adjustable so you and your partner can have different settings (firm or soft).

Robert Maidment Bakersfield, CA'

Overall have loved my sleep number bed. Had it for about 6 years and only problem I had was that the support for bed buckled under the bed twice (made of plastic). It was replaced both times and I changed the frame under the bed support and havent had a problem since. Bed is comfortable and my sleep number changes on occasion.

Christine Rice Phoenix, AZ

I had a wonderful experience at my local Sleep Number store. I went in to complete a mission from Smiley360 and was very impressed with the attentive and helpful store employees. They answered all my questions and we're very kind.

lisa

Because I have tried them out and in process of saving up to buy my very own because I have a very bad back and knee surfers both back and knee I need a bed that helps to get more sleep anbd sleepnumber is the one for me. Thank you

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

One of the best mattresses to have ever been sold ! I always sleep like a baby when I’m on a mattress provided by sleep number ! I love the technology feature that allows you to raise or lower your mattress to your comfort as well.

Sweet Nouveau Palmdale, CA

I love my sleep number bed and I have for over 15 years, it is still in perfect condition works wonderfully at any time I have ever had to replace my remote they have done it for free over the years no questions asked definitely worth every cent and I own two of them

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love the options Sleep Number provides. Their selection of specialty mattresses is amazing, especially with how they can be adjusted and all those little details. They're a great company and provide great customer service.

Vicky Gauer Driftwood, TX

I purchased a Sleep Number mattress because of continuing back issues. I had tried medications, injections, and everything else I could to get a good night's rest. Sleep Number was my saving grace! I felt an immediate change in my sleep and sleeping habits. I was completely satisfied with the bed, the service, and the after purchase customer service. I can't recommend them enough! If you thing they are too pricey, I would have to tell you, I spent much more on multiple mattresses that only resulted in sleepless night, pain, and more doctor bills. I'm an extremely satisfied customer.

Carrie Prince George, VA

I bought a Sleep Number bed. Though they are a little pricey, they are worth it. I call it an investment in myself. I sleep very well every night. Sometimes I need a firm mattress, sometimes I need a soft mattress, and sometimes I need a mattress that is in between and I get all of them with a sleep number and I get a massage on top of all of that.

Leeta Orem, UT

We have two Sleep Number beds, a king and a queen. One is a guest bedroom set and I always get compliments from our guests about how great their sleep was! They love the bed! We have had our Sleep Number for many years and have enjoyed every night of its use. VERY COMFORTABLE!! We use different settings for each of us and it makes for a great sleep for our differences!

Yvonne ,

I absolutely love my sleep number bed. We purchased it in April of 2020. I was having terrible back, neck, hip pain while attempting a good nights sleep on our other mattress. I was always stiff in the morning. Since sleeping on this wonderful mattress all my aches & pains have gone away. It is worth every dollar you spend. The service and ease of set up was amazing! I will always recommend this mattress to anyone that will listen.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my sleep number bed. I didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money but the attraction of setting the bed to a number that is right for me was tempting. They have an in home trial of 100 hundred nights to try out your bed. If you aren't satisfied you can call before the 100 days and they will come pick it up. I promise you will not want to part with your new bed! I have never slept better in my life.

TyGuy Sandy, UT

These are very expensive, but it's a very well made product. I've had back problems for a few years and it flares up on occasion. I rarely have back problems anymore because of the bed I sleep on. Also, within the first two years, every part of your bed is replaceable for free. The day before my two year bed-iversary, I was able to get a few replacement parts so my bed feels basically brand new!

Sally Albright Crestwood, KY

The first time I slept in a sleep number was back in grade school. My good girlfriend's grandparents were out of town and we had a slumber party. We slept on their sleep number and I haven't gone back sense. My husband Harry would sleep on a rock if he could, yet I prefer to swim in a cloud of foamy goodness. Thanks to sleep number, we can have it all.

James Singleton New Orleans, LA

The Sleep Number bed adjust to your body while sleeping and the cool mattress keeps you comfortable and keeps your body from getting overheated during the night.

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

Love our new sleep number bed! adjusting our sides of the bed has finally let us both sleep through the night comfortably. Best night sleep in a long time

Samarra Miller Hialeah, FL

My husband wanted to try this out for years and we finally got one and oh my goodness it's the best I've every slept on .. it's a bit pricey but it's worth it I love it .

cb Irving, TX

Sleep number is the best mattress on the market! I’m able to individually fix my side of the bed to my comfort level and my sleep has improved so much thanks to Sleep Number!

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Just purchased my sleep number 3 months ago and I’ve fallen in love! The price can set you back but if you think about it - you spend 33% of your time in bed. You might as well make the best of it!

Linda Forth Worth, TX

Most comfortable mattress I have ever had. I like the fact that I can raise the feet and head and it is easy for me as a senior adult to change the sheets on the bed. I also have the massage unit and love it as well.

Amanda Huegele

My sleep number pillow is the best pillow by far I have ever owned . It is so soft and it just feels great under my head. It is very durable it dorms great to my neck and head. Love it everyone should own one

Sultan AlSoufi CA

The product is amazing, I always get my stuff for the bed needs from Sleep Number and they are fabulous, also, I feel good the next morning from the product. And the service is good too.

Andrea Thomas Seattle, WA

Our sleep number mattress is amazing! My husband and I definitely sleep better on different levels of firmness and always struggled to find a mattress that worked. Hence this beauty that lets us choose our own side’s firmness. Love it! (: I would highly recommend!

Gabby A Norristown, PA

After years of sleeping on an extra firm mattresses because my husband likes it (and I don't), we tried the sleep number mattress. I am finally comfortable. I love that we can set different firmness settings. I will never go back to a standard mattress again.

Juli Maloney Henderson, NV

I absolutely love our sleep number mattress. After my parents raving about their mattress for years, we finally invested in one for ourselves, and boy, am I glad we did. No more lumps or needed to flip the mattress. Just add air with the flick of a switch and adjust the firmness as needed. I am finally in love with my bed again!

Cbblighthouse Atlanta, GA

I bought my Sleep Number bed 16 years ago in a king size. I have had 5 spinal fusion surgeries and this bed seems to be very comfortable. I like my side to be a little more firm and my two dogs like their side to be a little softer.

Suze Hunt-henderson Las Vegas, NV

I love my Sleep Number bed. My husband sleeps with a number of 35, whereas I sleep at a 100. We also have an adjustable bed. My husband sleeps flat, and I in a zero gravity position. We both get comfortable nights sleep that is just right for us.

Ron Wisdom El Mirage, AZ

This is the BEST mattress we have ever slept on, hands down. You could not get us to try another !!! We had hip, back and knee pain prior to our sleep number and after 2 nights that all went away. My number is a 65 and my wife is a 25

Sally Henson Rolla, MO

Bought my first mattress when they were first in a store., back in 1994. They were called Select Comfort, then. Bought my current mattress in 2014 and am looking forward to another 10+ years of use. I have a bad back, and love that I can adjust it to my own comfort level.

41BUICK Dahlonega, GA

THE ABSOLUTE BEST SLEEP EXPERIENCE EVER! Have owned one for 20 years. Best warranty, by far. Just submit problem (air pump) and in 3 days a new one is delivered. We still have the same bed we bought 20 years ago, 2 new air pumps, no questions asked when broke.

Emily Abbey Belleview, FL

I have used a Sleep Number bed since 2006. I bought a new one in 2017. Sleep Number is THE BEST. You get a good night's rest and feel great. if you are sore adjust the mattress My Husband and I have different Sleep numbers which works out to good advantages.