Sleep Number Logo

7.9

Since the first Sleep Number store opened in 1987 under the name Select Comfort, the company has transformed the mattress industry with the idea that "one size does not fit all" when it comes to sleep. Their Sleep Number adjustable air mattresses use an air pressure setting to adjust the level of support on each side of the bed. This way, if you need more or less support due to your weight, sleep position or pain, you can adjust the bed’s firmness, so that both you and your partner get a good night's sleep on a comfortable mattress set for your individual needs.

They currently offer 8 different Queen size options ranging in price from $999-$5,099. There are a few types of mattresses available, but all of them are Smart Beds with Responsive Air technology that can automatically adjust while you are sleeping to make sure you get deep, restful sleep.

They also use a system called Sleep IQ to track each night’s sleep quality. Sensors inside the bed measure your breathing, heart rate, and movement to provide insight into what you need to get a better night's sleep. Results and info are viewable online or via a mobile app. You can also control your bed with the SleepIQ mobile app or the special remote.

Here is a breakdown of the current options:

• The Classic series includes the two lowest-priced options and a choice between a 2 or 3-inch gel-infused foam comfort layer.
  • The mid-range Performance series has two options and includes either a 4-inch Dynatex and Ergonomex comfort layer or a 5-inch Coolgenex comfort layer and an Ergonomex support layer to help support your pressure points. The different combinations help provide varying levels of pressure relief and support.
  • The luxury Innovation collection includes options with an even thicker foam layer and an added temperature balancing technology if you are a hot sleeper.

Sleep Number's adjustable air mattresses are also made to be usable with an adjustable base. The FlexFit adjustable base lends an added level of adjustability to help alleviate back pain and snoring, but also includes extras like foot warming and under-bed lighting.

You can purchase Sleep Number mattresses or a Flexfit adjustable bed online or from one of 550+ branded retail stores nationwide.

Keep reading to learn more about Sleep Number and to read Sleep Number mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Comfort Trial
  • Warranty
  • Shipping

Financing Options

Financing is available online, in-store, by phone or Live Chat. Their budget-smart financing lets you pay for your mattress over time. You can enjoy everyday financing for 12 months or limited-time promotional financing offers.

Comfort Trial

A 100-night comfort trial is offered on Sleep Number mattresses. If owners are not satisfied, they can return the product within 100 days. They will be refunded, less original shipping fees.

Customers will be responsible for return shipping. This gives you the chance to see if the mattress fits your expectations.

Warranty

Defects are covered by a 25-year limited warranty. This includes all parts of the mattress and foundation. Costs for repairs or replacement parts for your air + foam bed is prorated based on your purchase date.

Shipping

Sleep Number beds ship through either standard UPS or with white glove service. You can choose. Standard ground shipping with UPS costs $89.99. Home delivery and setup costs $199.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • Shipping

High Prices

Sleep Number offers very advanced products compared to other run-of-the-mill mattress stores. Therefore, their products are rather expensive. If you choose to purchase a mattress from Sleep Number, you will be paying somewhere between $899 and $5,000.

Shipping

Along with the high price of their mattresses, shipping is costly as well. It is great that they give you the option to choose between white glove or standard delivery, but other luxury options, like Tempur-Pedic mattresses, come with free shipping.

The Bottom Line

Sleep Number has been offering its products and services to its customers for about 30 years. They have gained the trust of their customers by offering multiple financing options, a desirable return policy, and a variety of products and price ranges to choose from.

However, because of their advanced technology, mattresses here are going to cost more compared to regular innerspring, or memory foam mattresses.

View Best Mattress Companies

Gabby A Norristown, PA

After years of sleeping on an extra firm mattresses because my husband likes it (and I don't), we tried the sleep number mattress. I am finally comfortable. I love that we can set different firmness settings. I will never go back to a standard mattress again.

Vicky Gauer Driftwood, TX

I purchased a Sleep Number mattress because of continuing back issues. I had tried medications, injections, and everything else I could to get a good night's rest. Sleep Number was my saving grace! I felt an immediate change in my sleep and sleeping habits. I was completely satisfied with the bed, the service, and the after purchase customer service. I can't recommend them enough! If you thing they are too pricey, I would have to tell you, I spent much more on multiple mattresses that only resulted in sleepless night, pain, and more doctor bills. I'm an extremely satisfied customer.

Juli Maloney Henderson, NV

I absolutely love our sleep number mattress. After my parents raving about their mattress for years, we finally invested in one for ourselves, and boy, am I glad we did. No more lumps or needed to flip the mattress. Just add air with the flick of a switch and adjust the firmness as needed. I am finally in love with my bed again!

Carrie Prince George, VA

I bought a Sleep Number bed. Though they are a little pricey, they are worth it. I call it an investment in myself. I sleep very well every night. Sometimes I need a firm mattress, sometimes I need a soft mattress, and sometimes I need a mattress that is in between and I get all of them with a sleep number and I get a massage on top of all of that.

JW Zionsville, IN

Love Sleep Number. Needed to get parts for a bed and they were so easy to work with and so reasonably priced. The beds really retain their value and are great for a good night of luxurious sleep.

Cbblighthouse Atlanta, GA

I bought my Sleep Number bed 16 years ago in a king size. I have had 5 spinal fusion surgeries and this bed seems to be very comfortable. I like my side to be a little more firm and my two dogs like their side to be a little softer.

Seth Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

I have had many mattresses and this one was amazing. It heats up when your cold and cools when your cold.

Sherry Pitts Fort Walton Beach, FL

Nice bed. To expensive, but over all a good bed. The cooling sheets are awesome . And their curved pillows are wonderful for the neck and head area. All in all they took care of us.

Suze Hunt-henderson Las Vegas, NV

I love my Sleep Number bed. My husband sleeps with a number of 35, whereas I sleep at a 100. We also have an adjustable bed. My husband sleeps flat, and I in a zero gravity position. We both get comfortable nights sleep that is just right for us.

Sally Henson Rolla, MO

Bought my first mattress when they were first in a store., back in 1994. They were called Select Comfort, then. Bought my current mattress in 2014 and am looking forward to another 10+ years of use. I have a bad back, and love that I can adjust it to my own comfort level.

Karencita Z Cedar Hill, TX

I have been using the P5 split king size My body is still getting used to it but I really like when I use the option of watching tv Maybe because it’s new technology but it’s way too pricey for a mattress

hminfo Olney, MD

Sleep Number is so helpful for adjusting your sleep needs from night to night. You can change the number based on whatever issues you are having on any given day to help you sleep better.

b zilla Spring Hill, FL

expensive bed but worth every penny. they may be more than a traditional mattress, but you can adjust these and they are very easy to move if you need to

Lynn D Tarone Rio Rancho, NM

The bed was good and we did sleep a little better. The people were very helpful when we had issues. The sleep experience was not as I had hoped and the parts, when they wore out were expensive.

Megan Milke Olney, MD

My parents have a sleep number bed and it is literally awesome. They love the customer support people as they are so nice. Considering getting one for myself.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

I just could not get comfortable on a Sleep Number bed that was in a hotel room I stayed in. It was supposed to be a perk, but I felt like I was camping...I was up all night inflating and deflating it and never could find my comfort zone! It just wasn't for me, but that was many years ago, so perhaps it is more comfortable now.

Sky Blue Christmas Tree Compton, CA

The bed is a lifesaver for my back and shoulders once I adjusted, however, the company is dishonest, albeit through wording rather than a bold-faced lie. When returning a bed, you only return the mattress. They'll keep your money from the frame. Furthermore, EVERYTHING is overpriced. even the pillows can be over $100.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I like that myself and my wife can have different firmness settings. The firmness of the bed not only varies by the resistance to compression but also by the amount of weight or pressure from the individual. So a setting of 45 for me is not the same as a setting of 45 for a person of a different weight. The pressure settings are very individual for the person using the bed. The down side is the chamber design is not perfect. The bed will sink slightly in the heaviest area like the hips/waist, and less in the extremities.

Diane Dieter Allentown, PA

I bought a Sleep Number bed and I am so glad that I did. I have been in pain for several years and nothing helped me until I purchased a Sleep Number adjustable bed. I can raise and lower my bed and most importantly select the perfect number of softness that I need each night. It was pricey after trying so many beds, there was nothing that compared.

Tonya Heath ,

Local store CS reps are amazing. Company itself? Not so much. We purchased our mattresses and bc we had moved, they would not accept our tax exempt card. We were waiting on our new ones with our new address but the VA said our current ones were still valid. But SN made us use our old address then said to wait 24 hours then call and change it before it gets delivered. It took multiple calls to change it. One rep wanted to refund it all and start over, which would have cost us since it was online and tax exempt only worked locally. We purchased our beds locally and saved $900 bucks in taxes. Then, even on day of delivery, they were STILL headed to our old address! We moved to a different city and they still didn't correct our address! Also, this was during covid so mail was very slow. Legally our tax exempt cards were valid and they still refused them, nearly costing us our bed. We returned the cooling mattress accessory. It was a joke. We paid cash for 2 of them ($999 each) but they won't allow their stores to cut you a check or return your cash. No, they have to mail you a check AFTER it is processed. It takes 24 to 72 hours to process and up to 21 days to get your check. We are in a technological world. They could have direct deposited our money or let their store cut a check. But no, we returned the equipment so they had both the return AND our money. Not impressed by the bed either. Just not. After 3 back surgeries I thought I would love it. I wish I had never purchased it.

Missy Charleston, IL

I've been sleeping on a Sleep Number bed for probably 10+ years now. Granted, my bed is probably the most scaled down model -- not nearly as fancy as the ones available now -- but I love it! I basically let most of the air out of my side so it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud. My husband likes his a lot more firm. That's why I love it so much; we can both adjust our sides to be exactly what we want while still sleeping in the same bed.

L Cody Morongo Valley, CA

Have had a sleep number for quite a few years. Nice bed, but after awhile I needed to up the setting. I think their prices can be a bit high. But I think that the value is there. All in All ,it's a great product. They keep uping their game as well.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Sleep Number are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The pricing is very high, but it can be worth it if you get one on sale. The beds have air chambers that are adjustable so you and your partner can have different settings (firm or soft).

41BUICK Dahlonega, GA

THE ABSOLUTE BEST SLEEP EXPERIENCE EVER! Have owned one for 20 years. Best warranty, by far. Just submit problem (air pump) and in 3 days a new one is delivered. We still have the same bed we bought 20 years ago, 2 new air pumps, no questions asked when broke.

Ida McCarty Chicago, IL

I went into Sleep Number to try out the mattresses. The minute that I entered the store, I knew that I would be in for a pleasant surprise. It felt like a car showroom, with some of the most beautiful mattresses on display. I just had to stretch out on one, just to see if it was as comfortable as it looked. I can assure you that it was very comfy. Was not ready to make a purchase. But I know now that this is the mattress that I will be purchasing.

Jillian Johnson Cullman, AL

Knowing that you can sleep better with SleepIQ technology that tracks your sleep every night, gives you personal insights that will create a better sleeping environment is a great reason to invest in a Sleep Number bed and pillow. Depriving your body of sleep means a less productive time and hurts your overall health. So it is vital to invest in a bed and pillow that will enhance and improve your health. That is what Sleep Number gives you.

Keith Anderson Henderson, NV

My wife and I bought this bed about 3 years ago and really like it my wife has had back problems and needs a really firm mattress to sleep on I like a softer mattress so with her side at like 85 and mine said at 35 or 40 this mattress is really good. We liked it so much we decided to stop buying cheap mattresses for our kids who are only 12 and 14 but we bought these sleep number mattresses for our kids so they can adjust it to how they like and they can have it for them for many many years into their young adult life and take it with them when they move out of the house because these beds have an extremely long warranty with them

Leeta Orem, UT

We have two Sleep Number beds, a king and a queen. One is a guest bedroom set and I always get compliments from our guests about how great their sleep was! They love the bed! We have had our Sleep Number for many years and have enjoyed every night of its use. VERY COMFORTABLE!! We use different settings for each of us and it makes for a great sleep for our differences!

Yvonne ,

I absolutely love my sleep number bed. We purchased it in April of 2020. I was having terrible back, neck, hip pain while attempting a good nights sleep on our other mattress. I was always stiff in the morning. Since sleeping on this wonderful mattress all my aches & pains have gone away. It is worth every dollar you spend. The service and ease of set up was amazing! I will always recommend this mattress to anyone that will listen.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I get great quality sleep with my Sleep Number mattress because I am able to adjust it. It is very expensive, however.

Johnny Flores jr Dallas, TX

I recommend getting a sleep number mattress. Had one and looking to buy another. Best sleep ever .😁👍

Gina Marie Commack, NY

My father had a sleep number bed which I utilized for one year. I think it’s highly up and the price is too high I personally have gone with Serta sleepies and other companies for half of the price and had a much better experience after all sleep as essential

Lmt3 Provo, UT

We’ve had a Sleep Number bed for several years now. It’s so nice to be able to adjust the hardness or softness of the mattress. One’s comfort level can change from time to time so it’s nice to be able to adjust to what feels good.

Kris Kehe Houston, TX

Owned a sleep number for a number of years. Offers good support for your back and neck. Helps give you even weight distribution across your body which makes for a better sleep.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

Sleep number beds are the very best. My husband and I have different ideas of how soft or hard the bed should be. I like it softer and he likes it harder. Sleep number makes it so easy to have a great night of sleep!

Tate Wilde3 American Fork, UT

Never had a better sleep in my life then the first night with my sleep number. I love the model that I have because I can raise my head and legs and the moment I found my number my back has never felt better.

Robert Maidment Bakersfield, CA'

Overall have loved my sleep number bed. Had it for about 6 years and only problem I had was that the support for bed buckled under the bed twice (made of plastic). It was replaced both times and I changed the frame under the bed support and havent had a problem since. Bed is comfortable and my sleep number changes on occasion.

Christine Rice Phoenix, AZ

I had a wonderful experience at my local Sleep Number store. I went in to complete a mission from Smiley360 and was very impressed with the attentive and helpful store employees. They answered all my questions and we're very kind.

lisa

Because I have tried them out and in process of saving up to buy my very own because I have a very bad back and knee surfers both back and knee I need a bed that helps to get more sleep anbd sleepnumber is the one for me. Thank you

Tammy Snyder Aurora, CO

love my sleep number, great customer service

Emily Abbey Belleview, FL

I have used a Sleep Number bed since 2006. I bought a new one in 2017. Sleep Number is THE BEST. You get a good night's rest and feel great. if you are sore adjust the mattress My Husband and I have different Sleep numbers which works out to good advantages.

Erin Abel San Marcos, TX

My Sleep Number bed has been great. I love the mattress part of the bed. Very comfy. I do wish I had NOT gotten the "split" bed - where either side can be raised individually. The "hole" between the sides makes it hard (and uncomfortabe) to cuddle with my hubby - even when both sides are flat. However, I guess that was my bad choice. I do wish that a separate remote (to adjust bed settings) would be included in the package. The app is just a pain to use when you are ready to go to sleep - instead of just pushing a button on a remote. But, overall, very satisfied.

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I was in a car accident a few years back. I had some permanent back pain and was told that a Sleep Number might help. I purchased one and it has eased some of my back pain. I like that I can adjust the number to the firmness that I want.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

My husband was in a car accident and needed a really good mattress. We shopped around and ended up at a Sleep Number store. We purchased a Sleep Number and it's been great for my husbands back and as an added bonus, I like it too!

seanth57 Columbus, GA

Great comfortable mattress, really good value for your money

Kathy L Crudele Bowling Green, OH

Love the flexiblity of my sleep number bed. It has comfort levels for everyone.

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

The purchasing process was smooth and I love that I can adjust my mattress.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my sleep number bed. I didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money but the attraction of setting the bed to a number that is right for me was tempting. They have an in home trial of 100 hundred nights to try out your bed. If you aren't satisfied you can call before the 100 days and they will come pick it up. I promise you will not want to part with your new bed! I have never slept better in my life.

Noriko Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

We tried them at our friends house and really liked it so we got one for ourselves. It’s been a great bed and love that we can have different setting of firmness for my husband side and mine. When we stay somewhere we always looking forward to come home and sleep on our own bed. I like the sleep IQ app where we can see our sleep records. One thing that I was disappointed about is a worker who helped us told us that our friend who introduced us this bed should get some credit towards future purchases but they never received anything in a mail. So I called the store to talk to him but they didn’t take care of it.

TyGuy Sandy, UT

These are very expensive, but it's a very well made product. I've had back problems for a few years and it flares up on occasion. I rarely have back problems anymore because of the bed I sleep on. Also, within the first two years, every part of your bed is replaceable for free. The day before my two year bed-iversary, I was able to get a few replacement parts so my bed feels basically brand new!