Since the first Sleep Number store opened in 1987 under the name Select Comfort, the company has transformed the mattress industry with the idea that "one size does not fit all" when it comes to sleep. Their Sleep Number adjustable air mattresses use an air pressure setting to adjust the level of support on each side of the bed. This way, if you need more or less support due to your weight, sleep position or pain, you can adjust the bed’s firmness, so that both you and your partner get a good night's sleep on a comfortable mattress set for your individual needs.

They currently offer 8 different Queen size options ranging in price from $999-$5,099. There are a few types of mattresses available, but all of them are Smart Beds with Responsive Air technology that can automatically adjust while you are sleeping to make sure you get deep, restful sleep.

They also use a system called Sleep IQ to track each night’s sleep quality. Sensors inside the bed measure your breathing, heart rate, and movement to provide insight into what you need to get a better night's sleep. Results and info are viewable online or via a mobile app. You can also control your bed with the SleepIQ mobile app or the special remote.

Here is a breakdown of the current options:

• The Classic series includes the two lowest-priced options and a choice between a 2 or 3-inch gel-infused foam comfort layer.
  • The mid-range Performance series has two options and includes either a 4-inch Dynatex and Ergonomex comfort layer or a 5-inch Coolgenex comfort layer and an Ergonomex support layer to help support your pressure points. The different combinations help provide varying levels of pressure relief and support.
  • The luxury Innovation collection includes options with an even thicker foam layer and an added temperature balancing technology if you are a hot sleeper.

Sleep Number's adjustable air mattresses are also made to be usable with an adjustable base. The FlexFit adjustable base lends an added level of adjustability to help alleviate back pain and snoring, but also includes extras like foot warming and under-bed lighting.

You can purchase Sleep Number mattresses or a Flexfit adjustable bed online or from one of 550+ branded retail stores nationwide.

Keep reading to learn more about Sleep Number and to read Sleep Number mattress reviews from real customers.

#1 Nectar Sleep chevron_right
4.8
#2 Tempur-Pedic chevron_right
#3 Ikea chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Comfort Trial
  • Warranty
  • Shipping

Financing Options

Financing is available online, in-store, by phone or Live Chat. Their budget-smart financing lets you pay for your mattress over time. You can enjoy everyday financing for 12 months or limited-time promotional financing offers.

Comfort Trial

A 100-night comfort trial is offered on Sleep Number mattresses. If owners are not satisfied, they can return the product within 100 days. They will be refunded, less original shipping fees.

Customers will be responsible for return shipping. This gives you the chance to see if the mattress fits your expectations.

Warranty

Defects are covered by a 25-year limited warranty. This includes all parts of the mattress and foundation. Costs for repairs or replacement parts for your air + foam bed is prorated based on your purchase date.

Shipping

Sleep Number beds ship through either standard UPS or with white glove service. You can choose. Standard ground shipping with UPS costs $89.99. Home delivery and setup costs $199.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • Shipping

High Prices

Sleep Number offers very advanced products compared to other run-of-the-mill mattress stores. Therefore, their products are rather expensive. If you choose to purchase a mattress from Sleep Number, you will be paying somewhere between $899 and $5,000.

Shipping

Along with the high price of their mattresses, shipping is costly as well. It is great that they give you the option to choose between white glove or standard delivery, but other luxury options, like Tempur-Pedic mattresses, come with free shipping.

The Bottom Line

Sleep Number has been offering its products and services to its customers for about 30 years. They have gained the trust of their customers by offering multiple financing options, a desirable return policy, and a variety of products and price ranges to choose from.

However, because of their advanced technology, mattresses here are going to cost more compared to regular innerspring, or memory foam mattresses.

View Best Mattress Companies

Scott A. Johnson

September 17th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep Number are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The pricing is very high, but it can be worth it if you get one on sale. The beds have air chambers that are adjustable so you and your partner can have different settings (firm or soft).

Eric Wilkinson

September 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was in a car accident a few years back. I had some permanent back pain and was told that a Sleep Number might help. I purchased one and it has eased some of my back pain. I like that I can adjust the number to the firmness that I want.

Brittany Wilkinson

September 12th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband was in a car accident and needed a really good mattress. We shopped around and ended up at a Sleep Number store. We purchased a Sleep Number and it's been great for my husbands back and as an added bonus, I like it too!

Yvonne

September 6th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love my sleep number bed. We purchased it in April of 2020. I was having terrible back, neck, hip pain while attempting a good nights sleep on our other mattress. I was always stiff in the morning. Since sleeping on this wonderful mattress all my aches & pains have gone away. It is worth every dollar you spend. The service and ease of set up was amazing! I will always recommend this mattress to anyone that will listen.

Missy

September 4th, 2020 Charleston, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been sleeping on a Sleep Number bed for probably 10+ years now. Granted, my bed is probably the most scaled down model -- not nearly as fancy as the ones available now -- but I love it! I basically let most of the air out of my side so it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud. My husband likes his a lot more firm. That's why I love it so much; we can both adjust our sides to be exactly what we want while still sleeping in the same bed.

cb

March 7th, 2020 Irving, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep number is the best mattress on the market! I’m able to individually fix my side of the bed to my comfort level and my sleep has improved so much thanks to Sleep Number!

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a sleep number, hoping it would last longer than a regular mattress, but the foam you put around the baffles started to break down and make my bed lumpy. It was nice until that started happening.

Darbles32

February 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t know if it was just the cheaper mattress that I slept on but I had a hard time getting it to the setting I wanted and to have it still feel comfortable

Jen

October 8th, 2019 Clarks Summit, PA

I have had a sleep number bed for about 10 years. I don’t like it. My husband sleeps at a 30, me at 65. If he gets up, my number changes. If he puts his leg on my side, the number changes. When we first got the bed, he never blew his side up. He just left it at his sleep position. Come to find out, the side flattened. It’s like the mattress has a spare tire. I can never get my number correct and I’m usually hurting.

Ashley

May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my sleep number bed. I didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money but the attraction of setting the bed to a number that is right for me was tempting. They have an in home trial of 100 hundred nights to try out your bed. If you aren't satisfied you can call before the 100 days and they will come pick it up. I promise you will not want to part with your new bed! I have never slept better in my life.

Erika Thorn

February 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I needed a new mattress and my parents have had a number bed for a few years and recommend sleep number. We went in the store and ended up buying one along with an adjustable base. We love it . Best mattress we have ever bought.

Brennan

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overpriced for an average product. I never really saw the benefit of Sleep Number versus other mattresses. I could see it being a good fit for certain situations but it for sure wasn't for me. Customer service was great, just didn't like the product.

Carmen durfey

February 11th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that we can both have the firmness we prefer in one bed. I won’t go back to a normal bed

Myah Smith

February 10th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Sleep Number actually has really nice mattresses. So glad I was able to buy from them. Service was amazing.

JAKE

February 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a sleep number bed for a while and I really like it. The setup was very easy. Also the remote is very easy to use to get it the desired hardness or softness. I have a bad back and this mattress has helped a lot being able to adjust it to what works best for my back each night .

Erika

February 6th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a sleep number bed and have really liked it. My husband likes his mattress very firm and I like mine soft so it has been perfect for us so he can adjust his side to however he likes. Has held up very well for all the years we have had it.

Lindsey B

February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We didn't find Sleep Number worth the money we spent. We also didn't really use different sleep numbers once they were set which we felt defeated the purpose of having different options. People with very different sleep needs might have a very different experience with Sleep Number. Wouldn't recommend to people with normal mattress needs.

Noriko Johnson

February 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We tried them at our friends house and really liked it so we got one for ourselves. It’s been a great bed and love that we can have different setting of firmness for my husband side and mine. When we stay somewhere we always looking forward to come home and sleep on our own bed. I like the sleep IQ app where we can see our sleep records. One thing that I was disappointed about is a worker who helped us told us that our friend who introduced us this bed should get some credit towards future purchases but they never received anything in a mail. So I called the store to talk to him but they didn’t take care of it.

Shayla Hankins

January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep number mattress is the most high tech mattress you can get. It supports your back no matter what angle you have it set at and it even helps people stop snoring.

Cayla robinson

January 16th, 2019 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The mattresses from her are extremely comfortable and I never loose a nights sleep when sleeping on them. I am a dancer so recovery time is essential for my career and these mattesses makes recovery easy. Recommend to anyone!

Dasha Directo

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep Number provides great mattresses. They're fancy. You are guaranteed to have a good sleep because it's customizable.

Katie Marz

January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a sleep number bed for so long now and I've never had any problems with it! The quality is amazing and I can tell it will never get old or wear out.

McKenzie Christiansen

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This mattress has changed my life. I used to not be able to sleep because of back pain and not being able to breathe. But once I switched, I get at least 10 hours of sleep a night. And I don’t wake up in the middle of the night like I’m restless. It’s also great how costomisable it is to meet my exact needs for each night. Would reccomend.

Kymberlee Yack

January 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the BEST mattress i've ever had. I love it mainly because I vary about how i like to sleep. I can never decide if i want something more hard, or more soft and with sleep number it's so easy to adjust to whatever my mood is!

Madalyn Johnson

January 7th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my sleep number bed! I love being able to make adjustments to my bed like raising my head when I’m sick! Highly recommend sleep number.

Hailey Nilson

January 3rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

I tried a Sleep Number mattress in a hotel once, and I really enjoyed it. The remote makes it easy to customize to bed to make it match your needs. I hate when mattress are too soft, or too firm, but this is the perfect solution.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just purchased my sleep number 3 months ago and I’ve fallen in love! The price can set you back but if you think about it - you spend 33% of your time in bed. You might as well make the best of it!

Darius Williams

December 13th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

very nice mattresses just at a more expensive cost than a regular mattress.

TyGuy

December 7th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These are very expensive, but it's a very well made product. I've had back problems for a few years and it flares up on occasion. I rarely have back problems anymore because of the bed I sleep on. Also, within the first two years, every part of your bed is replaceable for free. The day before my two year bed-iversary, I was able to get a few replacement parts so my bed feels basically brand new!

Katie Kearney

December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These beds are so overpriced! It's a good concept but I feel like it's just a glorified air mattress. I have a bad back and could not ever find a number that actually supported my back the way I needed it to.

Mia Hernandez

December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

product is amazing i have so many back issues and since we got this bed and my personal sleep number i wake up in less pain its extraordinary

Alyssa Lopez

November 30th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was convinced that my original mattress was an adequate match for me, until I went to Sleep Number and found my true match. It is so much more comfortable to sleep on an adjustable bed with settings it remembers, and I am able to adjust myself in order to read and watch TV comfortably. However, since the bed is split into two sections (one for each person), there is an awkward space in between the two sides where you can partially fall into.

Jobie Goodro

November 29th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband really likes a firm bed and I like soft, we thought this would be a perfect fit. But we both hated the mattress. Despite that, their customer service was great! And we were able to get a full refund.

Jason Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep Number beds are very expensive and ours didn't last very long. When I tried to use the product guarantee, the company didn't honor it.

ally blackhurst

October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So amazing. I love my sleep number bed. It is so comfortable and my sleep has improved so much!

Tania Saunders

October 31st, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love love love our sleepumber. We got it when I was pregnant with my first and it changed everything. My husband likes it soft and I like it hard. It was the only mattress we could get that would work for both of us.

Angela Nelson

October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We enjoyed our Sleep Number bed for a few years, but then it developed a leak and we could never fix it and get it to hold the setting. Ultimately we were disappointed in the durability of such an expensive product. We have since returned to traditional mattresses and are happier.

Kristen Schow

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I absolutely love it Sleep Number beds! And I feel like the people that work inside of their stores have a lot of knowledge and experience and can find something that fits you perfectly!

Lisa Hanson

October 27th, 2018 Calabasas, CA

Average comfort given our expectations and reviews. Convenient and easy to use though.

David O

October 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Napping on a Sleep Number mattress is like sleeping on air. The adjustable, inflatable products they offer are comfortable and fit the body well. The only downside I would have to say is the loud noise that comes with adjusting the air inside. It can be hard for others to sleep in the same house when I change it! Despite the noise, Sleep Number is a genuine and comfortable mattress I can see myself using. Three and a half stars.

Lesa Burgess

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The sleep number bed is an interesting bed that takes some time getting used to. However, once you get your settings & comfort number it will become a great bed for you. I found that a number of stores in the Salt Lake City area had Sleep Number beds readily available. You will be able to adjust the comfort of your bed from both sides of the mattress. Once you've slept on it a few nights, the bed has the ability to conform to your body which will relieve a ton of back pain. I've been told that this mattress has a longer lifespan than the average mattress, however I have not had it long enough to know that so time will tell!

Ron Durfey

August 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Liked the concept of this mattress but had to switch due to back and shoulder issues. Wish I hadn't purchased this mattress and had gone with something else. Was way too expensive.

Thomas Hullinger

August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sleep number is the bed for you! I have a problem snoring and this has helped as I can feel the difference, and my wife can hear the difference.

Kristin G

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best experience ever when we entered the store and tried out the beds for ourselves. You can find cheaper mattress’ but we have loved the one that we bought and feel it is worth the price!!

Sally Albright

July 25th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

The first time I slept in a sleep number was back in grade school. My good girlfriend's grandparents were out of town and we had a slumber party. We slept on their sleep number and I haven't gone back sense. My husband Harry would sleep on a rock if he could, yet I prefer to swim in a cloud of foamy goodness. Thanks to sleep number, we can have it all.

Anna Hu

July 22nd, 2018 Provo, UT

I love my sleep number mattress! I have gone through periods of having a very bad back, and as my body has needed different levels of pressure and comfort it has been so nice to be able to adjust. I sleep great every night and just love that my mattress is adjustable when I need it.

Julie Martinez

July 4th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

With back problems, our Sleep Number mattress has been the best. I can set the firmness exactly how I need in order to wake up pain free in the morning. We have had a couple items break and they sent replacements at no charge due to their long warranty.

michelle l pierce

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

My in-laws one one and love it! They get great sleep and rest with it.

Trista Siren

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Upgraded my old and cheap hand-me-down mattress to a SleepNumber and it feels AMAZING! Wish I would've gotten one in the first place!

Vicki A Michaels

May 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my sleep number bed. I have the cheaper one and it's great!