Sleep Number Logo

7.9

Since the first Sleep Number store opened in 1987 under the name Select Comfort, the company has transformed the mattress industry with the idea that "one size does not fit all" when it comes to sleep. Their Sleep Number adjustable air mattresses use an air pressure setting to adjust the level of support on each side of the bed. This way, if you need more or less support due to your weight, sleep position or pain, you can adjust the bed’s firmness, so that both you and your partner get a good night's sleep on a comfortable mattress set for your individual needs.

They currently offer 8 different Queen size options ranging in price from $999-$5,099. There are a few types of mattresses available, but all of them are Smart Beds with Responsive Air technology that can automatically adjust while you are sleeping to make sure you get deep, restful sleep.

They also use a system called Sleep IQ to track each night’s sleep quality. Sensors inside the bed measure your breathing, heart rate, and movement to provide insight into what you need to get a better night's sleep. Results and info are viewable online or via a mobile app. You can also control your bed with the SleepIQ mobile app or the special remote.

Here is a breakdown of the current options:

• The Classic series includes the two lowest-priced options and a choice between a 2 or 3-inch gel-infused foam comfort layer.
  • The mid-range Performance series has two options and includes either a 4-inch Dynatex and Ergonomex comfort layer or a 5-inch Coolgenex comfort layer and an Ergonomex support layer to help support your pressure points. The different combinations help provide varying levels of pressure relief and support.
  • The luxury Innovation collection includes options with an even thicker foam layer and an added temperature balancing technology if you are a hot sleeper.

Sleep Number's adjustable air mattresses are also made to be usable with an adjustable base. The FlexFit adjustable base lends an added level of adjustability to help alleviate back pain and snoring, but also includes extras like foot warming and under-bed lighting.

You can purchase Sleep Number mattresses or a Flexfit adjustable bed online or from one of 550+ branded retail stores nationwide.

Keep reading to learn more about Sleep Number and to read Sleep Number mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Comfort Trial
  • Warranty
  • Shipping

Financing Options

Financing is available online, in-store, by phone or Live Chat. Their budget-smart financing lets you pay for your mattress over time. You can enjoy everyday financing for 12 months or limited-time promotional financing offers.

Comfort Trial

A 100-night comfort trial is offered on Sleep Number mattresses. If owners are not satisfied, they can return the product within 100 days. They will be refunded, less original shipping fees.

Customers will be responsible for return shipping. This gives you the chance to see if the mattress fits your expectations.

Warranty

Defects are covered by a 25-year limited warranty. This includes all parts of the mattress and foundation. Costs for repairs or replacement parts for your air + foam bed is prorated based on your purchase date.

Shipping

Sleep Number beds ship through either standard UPS or with white glove service. You can choose. Standard ground shipping with UPS costs $89.99. Home delivery and setup costs $199.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • Shipping

High Prices

Sleep Number offers very advanced products compared to other run-of-the-mill mattress stores. Therefore, their products are rather expensive. If you choose to purchase a mattress from Sleep Number, you will be paying somewhere between $899 and $5,000.

Shipping

Along with the high price of their mattresses, shipping is costly as well. It is great that they give you the option to choose between white glove or standard delivery, but other luxury options, like Tempur-Pedic mattresses, come with free shipping.

The Bottom Line

Sleep Number has been offering its products and services to its customers for about 30 years. They have gained the trust of their customers by offering multiple financing options, a desirable return policy, and a variety of products and price ranges to choose from.

However, because of their advanced technology, mattresses here are going to cost more compared to regular innerspring, or memory foam mattresses.

View Best Mattress Companies

b zilla Spring Hill, FL

expensive bed but worth every penny. they may be more than a traditional mattress, but you can adjust these and they are very easy to move if you need to

Diane Dieter Allentown, PA

I bought a Sleep Number bed and I am so glad that I did. I have been in pain for several years and nothing helped me until I purchased a Sleep Number adjustable bed. I can raise and lower my bed and most importantly select the perfect number of softness that I need each night. It was pricey after trying so many beds, there was nothing that compared.

L Cody Morongo Valley, CA

Have had a sleep number for quite a few years. Nice bed, but after awhile I needed to up the setting. I think their prices can be a bit high. But I think that the value is there. All in All ,it's a great product. They keep uping their game as well.

Tonya Heath ,

Local store CS reps are amazing. Company itself? Not so much. We purchased our mattresses and bc we had moved, they would not accept our tax exempt card. We were waiting on our new ones with our new address but the VA said our current ones were still valid. But SN made us use our old address then said to wait 24 hours then call and change it before it gets delivered. It took multiple calls to change it. One rep wanted to refund it all and start over, which would have cost us since it was online and tax exempt only worked locally. We purchased our beds locally and saved $900 bucks in taxes. Then, even on day of delivery, they were STILL headed to our old address! We moved to a different city and they still didn't correct our address! Also, this was during covid so mail was very slow. Legally our tax exempt cards were valid and they still refused them, nearly costing us our bed. We returned the cooling mattress accessory. It was a joke. We paid cash for 2 of them ($999 each) but they won't allow their stores to cut you a check or return your cash. No, they have to mail you a check AFTER it is processed. It takes 24 to 72 hours to process and up to 21 days to get your check. We are in a technological world. They could have direct deposited our money or let their store cut a check. But no, we returned the equipment so they had both the return AND our money. Not impressed by the bed either. Just not. After 3 back surgeries I thought I would love it. I wish I had never purchased it.

Missy Charleston, IL

I've been sleeping on a Sleep Number bed for probably 10+ years now. Granted, my bed is probably the most scaled down model -- not nearly as fancy as the ones available now -- but I love it! I basically let most of the air out of my side so it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud. My husband likes his a lot more firm. That's why I love it so much; we can both adjust our sides to be exactly what we want while still sleeping in the same bed.

Kristen Fratt Mesquite, NV

Sleep Number bed has been my back savior for the last 25 years. I've purchased 2 Sleep Number beds during this time and have loved them both.

Gina Marie Commack, NY

My father had a sleep number bed which I utilized for one year. I think it’s highly up and the price is too high I personally have gone with Serta sleepies and other companies for half of the price and had a much better experience after all sleep as essential

Lmt3 Provo, UT

We’ve had a Sleep Number bed for several years now. It’s so nice to be able to adjust the hardness or softness of the mattress. One’s comfort level can change from time to time so it’s nice to be able to adjust to what feels good.

Kris Kehe Houston, TX

Owned a sleep number for a number of years. Offers good support for your back and neck. Helps give you even weight distribution across your body which makes for a better sleep.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

Sleep number beds are the very best. My husband and I have different ideas of how soft or hard the bed should be. I like it softer and he likes it harder. Sleep number makes it so easy to have a great night of sleep!

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Sleep Number are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The pricing is very high, but it can be worth it if you get one on sale. The beds have air chambers that are adjustable so you and your partner can have different settings (firm or soft).

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I like that myself and my wife can have different firmness settings. The firmness of the bed not only varies by the resistance to compression but also by the amount of weight or pressure from the individual. So a setting of 45 for me is not the same as a setting of 45 for a person of a different weight. The pressure settings are very individual for the person using the bed. The down side is the chamber design is not perfect. The bed will sink slightly in the heaviest area like the hips/waist, and less in the extremities.

41BUICK Dahlonega, GA

THE ABSOLUTE BEST SLEEP EXPERIENCE EVER! Have owned one for 20 years. Best warranty, by far. Just submit problem (air pump) and in 3 days a new one is delivered. We still have the same bed we bought 20 years ago, 2 new air pumps, no questions asked when broke.

Keith Anderson Henderson, NV

My wife and I bought this bed about 3 years ago and really like it my wife has had back problems and needs a really firm mattress to sleep on I like a softer mattress so with her side at like 85 and mine said at 35 or 40 this mattress is really good. We liked it so much we decided to stop buying cheap mattresses for our kids who are only 12 and 14 but we bought these sleep number mattresses for our kids so they can adjust it to how they like and they can have it for them for many many years into their young adult life and take it with them when they move out of the house because these beds have an extremely long warranty with them

Leeta Orem, UT

We have two Sleep Number beds, a king and a queen. One is a guest bedroom set and I always get compliments from our guests about how great their sleep was! They love the bed! We have had our Sleep Number for many years and have enjoyed every night of its use. VERY COMFORTABLE!! We use different settings for each of us and it makes for a great sleep for our differences!

Yvonne ,

I absolutely love my sleep number bed. We purchased it in April of 2020. I was having terrible back, neck, hip pain while attempting a good nights sleep on our other mattress. I was always stiff in the morning. Since sleeping on this wonderful mattress all my aches & pains have gone away. It is worth every dollar you spend. The service and ease of set up was amazing! I will always recommend this mattress to anyone that will listen.

Jeanne Breden Columbus, OH

They responded quickly with problems we had in the beginning and helped me understand the process better when I had difficulty.

Larry R Thrash San Jose, CA

We were very satisfied with the bed. Also with the staff at the store.They installed it very quickly and removed all left over packaging.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

Bought a bed under the 100% money back guarantee and then find out I was scammed and they are in violation of false advertising law and deceptive sales practices. Out $4000 to these immoral scammers. The bed sagged in the middle and the base was malfunctioning, still refused refunding which is also illegal for defective products. Filed with state attorney general and waiting on that process. Bed was horribly uncomfortable and screwed up my back to where Im now in physical therapy.

OverItAll Leesburg, FL

I bought the bed second hand which made it affordable. I think the price for a new one is way too high. The ability to regulate each side independently is great and I am happy with my purchase.

Alexa Cooper Provo, UT

I like using Sleep Number with my younger sister when we shared a room growing up. Our mattress had a hole though that would deflate and that previously caused my dad to eventually misalign his spine which led to an expensive surgery and recovery.

MeliG Scottsdale, AZ

Easy purchasing and knowledgeable sales representatives. We went back several times before making the decision and each time they were friendly and not pushy.

Kyle Bucher Fishers, IN

Way too overrated for the price. Yes, you can dial in your desired firmness, as can your partner. That is a nice feature, for sure. But in all reality the difference from 10-90 is barely tangible, and you're paying a significant premium for that niche diffierence. There are really good mattresses at a fraction of the price.

Tate Wilde3 American Fork, UT

Never had a better sleep in my life then the first night with my sleep number. I love the model that I have because I can raise my head and legs and the moment I found my number my back has never felt better.

Emily Abbey Belleview, FL

I have used a Sleep Number bed since 2006. I bought a new one in 2017. Sleep Number is THE BEST. You get a good night's rest and feel great. if you are sore adjust the mattress My Husband and I have different Sleep numbers which works out to good advantages.

Erin Abel San Marcos, TX

My Sleep Number bed has been great. I love the mattress part of the bed. Very comfy. I do wish I had NOT gotten the "split" bed - where either side can be raised individually. The "hole" between the sides makes it hard (and uncomfortabe) to cuddle with my hubby - even when both sides are flat. However, I guess that was my bad choice. I do wish that a separate remote (to adjust bed settings) would be included in the package. The app is just a pain to use when you are ready to go to sleep - instead of just pushing a button on a remote. But, overall, very satisfied.

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I was in a car accident a few years back. I had some permanent back pain and was told that a Sleep Number might help. I purchased one and it has eased some of my back pain. I like that I can adjust the number to the firmness that I want.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

My husband was in a car accident and needed a really good mattress. We shopped around and ended up at a Sleep Number store. We purchased a Sleep Number and it's been great for my husbands back and as an added bonus, I like it too!

Ida McCarty Chicago, IL

I went into Sleep Number to try out the mattresses. The minute that I entered the store, I knew that I would be in for a pleasant surprise. It felt like a car showroom, with some of the most beautiful mattresses on display. I just had to stretch out on one, just to see if it was as comfortable as it looked. I can assure you that it was very comfy. Was not ready to make a purchase. But I know now that this is the mattress that I will be purchasing.

Jillian Johnson Cullman, AL

Knowing that you can sleep better with SleepIQ technology that tracks your sleep every night, gives you personal insights that will create a better sleeping environment is a great reason to invest in a Sleep Number bed and pillow. Depriving your body of sleep means a less productive time and hurts your overall health. So it is vital to invest in a bed and pillow that will enhance and improve your health. That is what Sleep Number gives you.

alexonna , WA

Disappointed with sleep number policy. we received a damaged headboard and wanted a refund rather than a replacement. Case manager told us no refunds for upholstered headboards - which doesn't make sense. The product was damaged and was not going to be used again anyway. stupid policy especially after paying them 10K for bed. thanks for looking after your customers!

Kanuto Tucson, AZ

Deceptive Warranty I bought this be 4 years ago and it has two major dips where my wife and I sleep. I called customer service and they said it will cost just under $500 to replace the topper. When I reminded the customer service rep that the mattress has a 25 year warranty, he said the fist two years are covered 100% and in the 3rd year it is covered at 72% and it drops 4% per year. That not what the salesperson told my wife and I when we bought the bed. We will not buy another sleep number bed. I bought a Tempur Pedic TEMPUR-Adapt + Cooling Topper for $359.40 and it comes with a 10 year full replacement warranty. Live and learn!

Robert Maidment Bakersfield, CA'

Overall have loved my sleep number bed. Had it for about 6 years and only problem I had was that the support for bed buckled under the bed twice (made of plastic). It was replaced both times and I changed the frame under the bed support and havent had a problem since. Bed is comfortable and my sleep number changes on occasion.

Christine Rice Phoenix, AZ

I had a wonderful experience at my local Sleep Number store. I went in to complete a mission from Smiley360 and was very impressed with the attentive and helpful store employees. They answered all my questions and we're very kind.

lisa

Because I have tried them out and in process of saving up to buy my very own because I have a very bad back and knee surfers both back and knee I need a bed that helps to get more sleep anbd sleepnumber is the one for me. Thank you

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my sleep number bed. I didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money but the attraction of setting the bed to a number that is right for me was tempting. They have an in home trial of 100 hundred nights to try out your bed. If you aren't satisfied you can call before the 100 days and they will come pick it up. I promise you will not want to part with your new bed! I have never slept better in my life.

Noriko Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

We tried them at our friends house and really liked it so we got one for ourselves. It’s been a great bed and love that we can have different setting of firmness for my husband side and mine. When we stay somewhere we always looking forward to come home and sleep on our own bed. I like the sleep IQ app where we can see our sleep records. One thing that I was disappointed about is a worker who helped us told us that our friend who introduced us this bed should get some credit towards future purchases but they never received anything in a mail. So I called the store to talk to him but they didn’t take care of it.

TyGuy Sandy, UT

These are very expensive, but it's a very well made product. I've had back problems for a few years and it flares up on occasion. I rarely have back problems anymore because of the bed I sleep on. Also, within the first two years, every part of your bed is replaceable for free. The day before my two year bed-iversary, I was able to get a few replacement parts so my bed feels basically brand new!

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

The sleep number bed is an interesting bed that takes some time getting used to. However, once you get your settings & comfort number it will become a great bed for you. I found that a number of stores in the Salt Lake City area had Sleep Number beds readily available. You will be able to adjust the comfort of your bed from both sides of the mattress. Once you've slept on it a few nights, the bed has the ability to conform to your body which will relieve a ton of back pain. I've been told that this mattress has a longer lifespan than the average mattress, however I have not had it long enough to know that so time will tell!

Sally Albright Crestwood, KY

The first time I slept in a sleep number was back in grade school. My good girlfriend's grandparents were out of town and we had a slumber party. We slept on their sleep number and I haven't gone back sense. My husband Harry would sleep on a rock if he could, yet I prefer to swim in a cloud of foamy goodness. Thanks to sleep number, we can have it all.

George Head Brookfield, MO

Once a customer buys a mattress, there are more opportunities to save money on their additional products.

Jen Clarks Summit, PA

I have had a sleep number bed for about 10 years. I don’t like it. My husband sleeps at a 30, me at 65. If he gets up, my number changes. If he puts his leg on my side, the number changes. When we first got the bed, he never blew his side up. He just left it at his sleep position. Come to find out, the side flattened. It’s like the mattress has a spare tire. I can never get my number correct and I’m usually hurting.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Just purchased my sleep number 3 months ago and I’ve fallen in love! The price can set you back but if you think about it - you spend 33% of your time in bed. You might as well make the best of it!

Donna P. Fairfield, OH

I liked being told about the "IQ" of your sleep...I would have liked to have seen how it works with one of the beds, instead of just on a smart phone! I love my pillow that I received in exchange for my visit to the store. I have a ComfortFit Classic!

Tina Lyons White Springs, FL

Gapping and platform issues. I have the split top king size. When the top is close together the platforms hit one another when being raised and lowered. If the top platforms are separated a bit to stop them from hitting, there is a large gap between the top ends of the mattress. Feel as if I could fall into the gap. Don't like it.

Linda Forth Worth, TX

Most comfortable mattress I have ever had. I like the fact that I can raise the feet and head and it is easy for me as a senior adult to change the sheets on the bed. I also have the massage unit and love it as well.

Amanda Huegele

My sleep number pillow is the best pillow by far I have ever owned . It is so soft and it just feels great under my head. It is very durable it dorms great to my neck and head. Love it everyone should own one

Sultan AlSoufi CA

The product is amazing, I always get my stuff for the bed needs from Sleep Number and they are fabulous, also, I feel good the next morning from the product. And the service is good too.

Erika Thorn Riverton, UT

My husband and I needed a new mattress and my parents have had a number bed for a few years and recommend sleep number. We went in the store and ended up buying one along with an adjustable base. We love it . Best mattress we have ever bought.

Erika American Fork, UT

We have a sleep number bed and have really liked it. My husband likes his mattress very firm and I like mine soft so it has been perfect for us so he can adjust his side to however he likes. Has held up very well for all the years we have had it.