Washington National Insurance Company has been in business since 1911 and is based in Carmel, Indiana. The company has four core values, including integrity, customer focus, excellence, and teamwork.

Customers of Washington National are assisted by insurance agents. Washington National's main aim is to help middle-income Americans. The insurance company received high financial strength ratings from A.M. Best and has billions in invested assets. Its long history as an insurance carrier and high financial strength ratings mean that policyholders can be confident in Washington National's ability to meet claims obligations.

Washington National carries term, whole, and universal life insurance. It also offers additional kinds of insurance, like health insurance, and helps business owners with their employee benefits packages.

View Washington National Reviews

Washington National works to help families stay financially stable while dealing with the costs of illnesses, deaths, and accidents by offering life insurance coverage.

#1 Haven Life chevron_right
4.8
#2 Northwestern Mutual chevron_right
#3 Prudential Life Insurance chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Thorough Coverage
  • Universal Life
  • Whole Life
  • Health Insurance and Workplace Benefits

Thorough Coverage

When looking for a Washington National life insurance policy, people can choose between universal life insurance and whole life insurance products. Each kind of insurance policy has its own advantages. With these options customers can find the kind of permanent insurance coverage they need.

Universal Life

One can never predict what is going to happen in life, and this policy is ideal for protecting against unexpected emergencies. Universal life policies provide coverage that lasts a lifetime as long as the monthly insurance premium is paid. With this plan, people can:

• Modify premium prices to fit with one's circumstances
  • Save money with cash value accumulation, that goes toward a tax-free death benefit
  • Access the accumulated cash through "living benefits"
  • Increase the cash value through the S&P 500 index option

Universal life insurance policies have a little more flexibility in insurance premiums and coverage levels. While this feature is advantageous in some situations, you could risk losing the policy if the premium rates are higher than you can pay. Be sure to understand how premium rates change over time with this insurance plan before making a final purchase.

If you decide to access you cash value early, keep in mind that the death benefit will be reduced until you pay the loan back.

Whole Life

Whole Life insurance is an option that offers lifetime protection as long as the policyholder pays the premiums. People like this policy because it helps with the costs of one's final expenses and coverage lasts a lifetime.

Like a universal life insurance policy, whole life policies accrue cash value over time. The cash value accrual is not affected by fluctuations in the stock market. This stability is a major benefit of choosing a whole life policy. The cash value accrues at a guaranteed minimum rate by the insurance provider.

The policyholder can access the cash value while living for loans or use their policy as an asset. However, if you have an outstanding loan from your cash value, when the insured passes away, the death benefit is reduced by the outstanding balance.

The premiums for whole life insurance policies are not as flexible as rates for universal life insurance policies. Instead, they remain consistent.

However, it should be noted that whole life insurance policies are usually the most expensive across the life insurance industry.

Health Insurance and Workplace Benefits

Washington National also offers services and products in addition to life insurance. Consumers can also purchase supplemental health insurance, including:

• Cancer insurance
  • Accident insurance
  • Critical illness insurance
  • Heart and stroke insurance
  • Hospital insurance

These supplemental insurance plans provide additional coverage for specific situations, which is nice to have for these kinds of expensive needs. For workplace benefits, people can choose to buy accident and disability insurance, cancer and critical illness insurance, and hospitalization and ICU insurance , as well as life insurance.

The Bad

• No Term Life Insurance
  • No Quotes Online
  • Policy Offerings May Not Be Available Everywhere
  • No Online Chat Option

No Term Life Insurance

Washington National's coverage options do not include term life insurance policies. If you only want to buy coverage for a set period of time, you'll need to consider another insurer.

No Quotes Online

Finding a Washington National quote is extremely inconvenient. The website does not offer any pricing information or quotes online. However, because life insurance premiums depend on demographic information and health history, there is some variability. This variability makes it difficult to offer accurate quotes. Some life insurers and quote agencies do offer online estimates., but working directly with a life insurance agent is the best way to understand both the value offered and cost of an insurance policy.

Those interested in a life policy from Washington National should contact an insurance agent or request to be contacted. Once they have done that, the insurance agent will contact them, and they can ask for more details about coverage and payment.

Policy Offerings May Not Be Available Everywhere

While Washington National offers some great options for life insurance policies, these options may not be available in every state. Some life insurance policies have the option to add a rider that offers additional coverage. Contact a Washington National insurance agent to learn more specific information about what plans and riders are available to you.

No Online Chat Option

The contact options on the website are basic. Washington National does not offer an email address for general information, and they do not offer an online chat option.

An online chat option would be especially helpful with this company since they only offer specific policy information through contacting a representative. This factor would be a lot more convenient if customers could simply online chat a representative their question.

The Bottom Line

While it would be nice to have more information about its life insurance products and their cost online, Washington National has some good policies available. Interested individuals should consider customer reviews and reach out to the life insurance company to learn more information about available options.

View Best Life Insurance Companies

1.8
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Margaret

March 6th, 2020 Sydney, NSW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For over 5 years I have requested to surrender (close out) my Insured Policy that commenced in May 1983 with an employer that ceased to operate in the 1990s. From 'we have to look into this,' to failing to send the correct form, I have now sent my FIFTH request. This is theft by inaction and if not paid, I need to pursue legal options. March 2020.

BOBBY

February 12th, 2020 Marlow, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

this place is a joke dont buy anything from them my dad had a heart policy he had a heart attack and died claimed denied BEWARE ITS A MONEY SCAM

Pat Grig

September 1st, 2019 San Mateo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just received my return of premium check and am delighted !!!

Angelia smith

August 1st, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is not my personal experience with this company thank God!! I am sitting back watching my 73 year old mother go back and forth with these people! May 2019 my mom had an accident where she was attacked my dogs and broke her neck she then file her accident claim with these people and sent in all supporting documents !! Even 700 pages they requested for what reason I dont know IT'S AN ACCIDENT!! THAT REQUEST WAS SENT OVER NIGHT!! OF EVERY DOCUMENT YOU SEND OVER HAS TO TAKE 10 DAYS RIGHT!! NOW REMEMBER SHE'S NOT FILING FOR CRITICAL , OR DISABILITY JUST ACCIDENT!!! NOW THEY WANT THE PROCEDURE S OF THE ACCIDENT??? IT TAKES ALL THIS TO PAY OUT A CLAIM ON A ACCIDENT POLICY??? THEY ARE TRYING TO HOLD THIS CLAIM UP!!! THE ONLY ONE OUT OF THIS BIG COMPANY TRYING HELP MY MOTHER AND EXPRESS ANY KIND OF SYMPATHY WAS LASHABIA I GIVE THANKS TO HER!! I ALSO HAVE POLICES THESE PEOPLE WHICH IM GOING TO CANCEL

Stressed

March 11th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company has the worst Customer Service, that I have ever dealt with. I have had a policy through the multiple name changes for nearly 40 years and I received a letter , after a payment was made with a confirmation number. When I called and wanted to make sure the payment was made they said my policy lapsed , communicating to me I had to overnight a check or I was done. No one even wanted to help with this. told me I had no agent unless I wanted to spend more money or upgrade. Unbelievable. They took no responsiblity to let me know they did not accept my payment. to honor the letter they sent saying I had 15 days, and of course you get the letter with 5 days left and some are weekends when they are closed and don't answer their phone. wow horrible i the word to describe the service.

Sunny Perry

February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My agent is very helpful. Would allow me to call his personal phone to answer questions. I would recommend.

Brynne MacInnes

January 7th, 2019 Venice, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TERRIBLE COMPANY - DO NOT SIGN UP. I have had a horrible experience with Washington National Insurance and they have been debiting money out of my account without my knowledge and refuse to cancel my account over the phone. The only way I am able to cancel is via a handwritten letter. Absolutely ridiculous!

PAMELIA M SAHR

August 29th, 2018 Tybee Island, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband has had a whole life insurance policy that was bought by Washington national. I am on the policy as well on a rider. We have had this policy for over 30 years. I got a bill saying we owed insurance costs of $230 or the policy would lapse. I called to ask for a printout of insurance costs and could get no information, because it is in my husbands name. So I sent the money and the check cleared before the lapse date. I received a letter yesterday that the policy had lapsed. I called and told them that the check had cleared and could get no information. The premiums are paid via auto deduction from my bank account so no payments have been missed. I am very confused. And am receiving NO help from the company to understand.

Dave Kunnas

August 22nd, 2018 Mansfield, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I bought Washington National cancer insurance, I thought it was a no brainer because of the return of premium. When I was diagnosed with colon cancer, though, I was relieved when I found out how much money I received in claims payments. My family would not have been able to keep our house, and it would have taken years to recover financially. Thankfully, I am cancer free now, and I just received all of my premiums returned even though I had been paid claims. I was able to keep my policy at the same premiums I started with. I also added heart coverage because of my family history. Best decision I ever made.

Azline Dodson

April 4th, 2018 Bradenton, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mom and Dad had fall insurance for many years. My Mom fell, we gathered all the records and sent them in. They never paid. My Father passed away and we sent them a death certificate to stop the automatic payment from their account. They took out payments for over a year after my Father’s death. We had to pay a fee to the bank to stop washington National from taking out anymore money from my Mom’s account. No one from Washington National will return our calls. If you are looking for an insurance company, please research them very well and Do Not go with Washington National or you will be very disappointed.

Tammy Mansfield

March 21st, 2018 Pipestem, WV

This company is a joke. My mom had a policy for Heart Attack. When she signed up it was supposed to be around $28 per month. When she received paperwork it was almost $70 per month. She and I both called and cancelled the policy. Never thought about it until she passed away. Upon her death my dad put me on his checking account and when I was reviewing their statements I noticed that every month there was a deduction for the approximated $70 per month. I called the company and they stated the policy was still in force. They told me to send death certificate showing she had died from a hearth attack which I did and sent the physician statement. I was then notified that she also had COPD so that made her policy void. Instead of doing her for a policy for just Heart Attack they also did cancer and the COPD was listed under that policy. My mom was elderly and never knew. This company is nothing but crooks!

Eric Ricardo Lopez

February 22nd, 2018 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best product and price good services agent

Vic

November 4th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an injury in my wood shop. I had been paying my premium for over a year. They denied my coverage. I asked to cancel several times but, they kept charging my card. I finally managed to cancel and they billed me one last time. I called and argued it. They said they’d issue me a refund. The check showed up less than the amount that was taken. DO NOT sign up with these thieves.

J. W.

August 14th, 2017 Chattanooga, TN

I signed up for two policies through my employer. When I received the information in the mail, it stated that I was a male. I am, and have always been, female. It says female on my birth certificate and my driver's license. The agent who signed me up made an error. When I called to get this fixed, the customer service representative told me I had to fax a copy of my driver's license to them to get it fixed. I did this four times. It was never fixed. When I called to cancel my policy (I found a cheaper and more responsive company), the representative told me I had to fax or mail a signed statement. The fax number didn't work. The agent on the phone when I called back questioned me to ensure I actually put the number in right. I did, four times. This company is a headache to deal with. There isn't an option from the main menu to speak to a representative directly, and they aren't responsive.

Henry DeWitt

July 25th, 2017 Conshohocken, PA

Company is intent on retaining assets even to their own detriment. We have a small (

Mark

July 18th, 2017 Madison, WI

Horrible. Complete run around. After 6 phone calls still no check.

Robin Vettoretti

April 6th, 2017 Dallas, TX

My grandmother had a Benefit Now account through Washington National Insurance Company. She passed away and they are totally giving us the run around. Won't tell us anything about what happened to her money even though we provided the death certificate and a letter requesting information on the account. Would not recommend this company.