New York Life is a reliable choice for a life insurer. It has many years of industry experience, a favorable company structure, and high financial strength ratings.

If you're looking for term, whole, universal, or variable life insurance, New York Life's policies are worth considering.

Read New York Life Reviews

#1 Haven Life Insurance Agency chevron_right
4.8
#2 Policygenius chevron_right
#3 Bestow chevron_right

The Good

• High Financial Strength
  • Favorable Company Structure
  • Good Policy Selection
  • Rider Options

High Financial Strength

New York Life has received high financial strength ratings. These ratings are an indicator of the likelihood an insurer is to be able to meet its claims obligations. High ratings are a good sign, especially when combined with New York Life's many years in the industry.

You can rely on policies purchased from New York Life.

Faorable Company Structure

New York Life is a mutual company, which means that policyholders own shares in the company instead of stockholders. This structure makes it easy for the company to make decisions centered on their policyholders' interest without worrying about stock holders.

Good Policy Selection

New York Life offers a wide variety of life insurance policies, which is common in the industry.

Similar to other insurers, New York Life offers term life insurance with level premiums. You can choose the term length of the policy to suit your needs. New York Life stands out for offering a convertible term policy. This policy lasts one year, but you can renew it annually at a new premium rate.

New York Life offers whole, universal, and variable permanent life insurance policies. This selection makes it easy to find a policy that meets your needs.

New York Life offers several whole life insurance policies and stands out with its Custom Whole LIfe Insurance policy. With this policy, you can choose a payment schedule for your policy to be fully paid.

New York Life's universal life policies are different from what others offer because of the death benefit options:

• Level death benefit (face amount of policy only)
  • Fluctuating death benefit (face amount of policy plus the accrued cash value)
  • Return of premium rider (face amount of policy plus total adjusted premiums paid)

These options can add more value to your policy for your beneficiaries.

Rider Options

New York Life also offers a variety of riders that can be added to its permanent life insurance policies. Some riders may only be available with certain policies.

These riders include the following:

• Disability Waiver of Premium
  • Accelerated Death Benefit (Chronic Care or Living Benefits)
  • Accidental Death benefit
  • Option to Purchase Paid-Up Additions
  • Money Back Option Rider

These rider options are common in the industry and make New York Life competitive in the industry.

The Bad

• Insufficient Customer Insight
  • Must Provide Contact Information for Quote

Insufficient Customer Insight

Best Company has not received enough New York Life insurance reviews to draw conclusions about the customer experience. However, it is promising that a majority of its reviews are positive.

Must Provide Contact Information for Quote

Before you can receive a quote and additional policy details, you must provide contact information. If you're still researching options and not quite ready to be contacted by a company representative, this can be inconvenient.

The Bottom Line

Although we'd like to know more about the customer experience with New York Life, it's a reliable life insurer. It has stood the test of time and received high financial strength ratings.

You'll also benefit from a wide selection of policies and some offerings distinct to New York Life. If one of New York Life's policies seems like a good fit, it's worth exploring further.

View Best Life Insurance Companies

Tamra Ashby

January 24th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thorough when helping us set up life insurance for our family. Quick, efficient, compassionate and as stress free as possible when we called for help utilizing our policy following the death of our daughter.

Steve Ashby

January 22nd, 2021 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My father worked for NYLIC for over 30 years and I have been insured by them since I was a toddler. As an adult I have purchased insurance for myself and my wife, and riders for my children. I have always been very happy with my experience with the company and look forward to working with them for the rest of my life.

Brad H

January 21st, 2021 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used New York Life as my term life Insurance company for the past 20 years. I chose New York Life over other insurance companies since they allowed me to pay for my insurance only one time per year and the stable price of the life insurance. I found that the amount I paid each year to be very affordablee with only minimal increased charges. I also found the amount I paid for term life insurance was less than other companies for the same amount of benefits.

JOHN M CAMPBELL

December 31st, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have 2 policies with AARP/NYL for about 15 years. I have diabetes, so it's impossible for me to purchase Life Insurance, until New York Life started a program in conjunction with AARP to offer "no questions asked" policies. There may be cheaper Life Insurance elsewhere, but if it wasn't for New York Life I wouldn't have an insurance for my family after death. The only negative thing I have is that you can not make your monthly premiums with a credit card (I want the points!), but must use a bank draft if you want them paid automatically.

Nathan Justis

November 13th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a life policy with them that I've had for about 15 years and I thought my savings would be higher than it is, but I feel like it's a good company with a strong, reliable brand.

Keld Sperry

October 7th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have a good term life insurance package. The price is reasonable and glad to have some peace of mind with term life insurance.

D

July 18th, 2020 Woodstock, IL

Superior customer service from agent that wanted our business for federal life insurance conversion. He was prompt, responsive and very, very hardworking. We wanted to commend him and asked for his supervisor to call us, but unfortunately they never did. Perhaps they will see this.

jcleaton

July 10th, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always bought term insurance but as I got closer to retirement decided to add a whole life policy through NY life. Very nice getting something back from my insurance payments and NY life has provide the coverage I wanted at an affordable cost. Hightly recommend.

KATE

July 8th, 2020 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

New York Life sent us a medical examiner who was totally unprofessional. First. Even though he visited us at the time when the COVID-19 pandemic in NY just started, he did not put gloves on to take a blood sample. When asked to put gloves on, he demonstrated his disaffection and wore only one. Second. He was over 30 minutes late. Third. After the blood work, one of my veins has been puffy and enlarged. It has been three months now, and it did not get better yet. Because of this experience, I truly do not recommend New York Life. In my opinion, it is the insurance company's responsibility to select right medical examiners to contract with. They should have done their due diligence, which obviously they did not.

NWildfans

April 28th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Whole Life policy and it just keeps growing and growing. I didn't understand at first how this policy worked but I had trust in the agent. It has been ten years and it is one of the best things I own in my overall portfolio.

Michelle Schow

February 12th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have life insurance through New York Life. They seem to be a company we can trust...although I haven't actually ever made a claim with them :). We bought term life insurance and they are constantly sending us information to get whole life insurance.

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

New York life is overpriced for the insurance you get. The agents have to sell New York life and so they don’t look for other companies that might be a better value.

Christyan Bennett

January 16th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

New York Life offers a great, affordable Life Insurance plan. My family and I enjoy their low rates and amazing customer service.

Kathryn Robinson

November 16th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have New York Life insurance and have been happy with the customer service and plan options. We have term life insurance through New York. My only complaint is they frequently try to get us to convert to whole life insurance.

Amber

September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

The agents at New York life have good about updating our policy and reviewing everything with us yearly. They send out monthly statements so we always know where everything is going. We have term life insurance and whole life insurance. After a certain amount of time they start to pay out dividends to our accounts so everything has gotten cheaper over time.

Sara Jane

July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Billing is easy. The pricing is good and the company is stable. Everything you want in a life insurance policy.

Rodney McGee

July 4th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have multiple life insurance policies, both term and whole life. The service I have received from this company, and especially the agents, has been nothing short of excellent! Our agent is always available to answer any questions that we have. And when we were in need, he explained the process of borrowing against our whole life policy flawlessly. I'd recommend NY Life in a heartbeat. Not only the customer service but how well our portfolio has performed has blown me away.

Tom

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My father passed away and had insurance with New York Life. They were easy to work with and very caring. Everything was handled very professionally and with integrity.

Joi Estep

February 5th, 2018 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my mother passed, she had a policy with New York Life. The representative was kind, considerate and the claim was processed within 3 days. Amazing.

michael Parrott

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Annuity ive made great money with nee york life

April Lori Fuson

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I never hear anything from them. They just take my money.

Jim Marshman

No problems with them, have 2 life policys and an inuity with them

Rich Green

May 2nd, 2015 Reno, NV

Provide most options for upgrade from term to permanent life insurance.