MetLife is a life insurer. It has been providing insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs since 1868. It is a global leader in the field and received top ratings in financial strength. While having received high financial ratings, MetLife was involved in class action lawsuits in 2013 and 2015 for allegedly misrepresenting its financial stability. Potential customers should review the cases and look at customer reviews before purchasing insurance coverage from MetLife.

View MetLife Reviews

MetLife specializes in employer-provided benefits. It offers term and permanent life insurance in addition to other employee benefits, like dental and disability insurance.

MetLife serves approximately 100 million customers, 90 of which are Fortune 100 companies. It has branches and subsidiaries throughout North America, South America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Australia. It also invests substantially in the community through volunteering, infrastructure projects and green technologies around the globe.

#1 Bestow chevron_right
#2 Quotacy chevron_right
4.9
#3 Northwestern Mutual chevron_right

The Good

• High Financial Ratings
  • Policy Variety
  • Additional Insurance Coverage Options

High Financial Ratings

MetLife's high financial strength rating denotes financial stability when it comes to processing and making payments on insurance claims. It consistently rates in the A and AA ranges of AM Best and Standard & Poor's, respectively. These are some of the highest financial ratings available to life insurance carriers. It's a good idea to purchase a life policy from a life insurance provider with good financial ratings.

Policy Variety

Customers can choose to buy a term life insurance plan, a permanent life policy, or a universal life insurance policy from MetLife. These policies also allow quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to coverage and monthly premium payments. MetLife offers one of the widest variety of policies in the field, ensuring that you can find an insurance policy to suite your needs.

A term life insurance policy offers coverage for a set period of time. These policies are often more affordable than permanent life insurance products.

MetLife's permanent life Insurance policies do not expire. Although the premiums are initially higher, these plans tend to be more cost effective in the long term as well. Many of these plans also have cash value accumulation over the years, which term policies do not.

However, the premium rate for a term policy tends to be cheaper. Permanent life insurance policyholders can sometimes use the accrued cash value to add additional insurance coverage or to make premium payments. Sometimes insurance companies allow the beneficiaries of a life insurance policy to receive some or part of the cash value in addition to the death benefit.

Additional Insurance Coverage Options

MetLife offers several other kinds of insurance. In addition to life insurance, MetLife offers short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, dental insurance, accident insurance, and health insurance plans that employers can offer their employees. MetLife disability insurance options include long-term disability and short-term disability.

Individuals and families can purchase auto insurance, dental insurance, and home insurance policies directly through MetLife.

The Bad

• No Online Application
  • Offered Through Employers
  • Lawsuits

No Online Application

While MetLife provides lots of information about life insurance on the company's website, it does not have an online application process or offer online life insurance quotes. Instead, employers should work with MetLife agents in order to get a life insurance quote and find a group policy. MetLife's customer service contact information easily available online, so connecting with an insurance agent should be simple.

Offered Through Employers

Unlike some life insurance companies, MetLife gears its life insurance products towards employers. It is a great option for employers seeking to provide their employees benefits. Individuals interested in purchasing their own life insurance policy should enroll in an insurance policy with another company.

Lawsuits

In 2013 and 2015 major class action lawsuits have been filed against MetLife alleging that they have misrepresented their financial ratings and kept capital in offshore accounts that are not regulated as stringently as those in the United States. This amounts to MetLife's reserves being misrepresented as greater than they actually are, these reserves are used to pay out any insurance claim made and federally required to ensure the stability of the company. MetLife has denied all allegations.

Before working with MetLife, it potential customers should review the cases to get a better understanding of them. It's also a good idea to consider customer reviews before purchasing an insurance policy.

The Bottom Line

While MetLife does not offer final expense insurance, it does offer a variety of life insurance coverage options for employers. Life insurance coverage is a nice benefit to include in an employee benefits package whether the employer pays the premiums or employees pay them as a voluntary benefit.

Employers can offer their employees a term life policy or permanent life insurance policy from MetLife. The insurer's variety of life insurance products makes it easy for employers to find something to suit their needs and budget. These are group plans offered through an employer, which contributes to lower premium rates.

While the wide range of life insurance policies and employee benefits make MetLife an insurance and employee benefits provider to consider, it would be wise to review past lawsuits and recent customer reviews before purchasing a policy.

Individuals seeking to purchase their own life insurance coverage or final expense insurance, should investigate other life insurers. If your an employer, MetLife is a good insurance carrier to consider for your business.

View Best Life Insurance Companies

Boudica
July 29th, 2019 Mount Holly, NC DETAILS

MetLife sucks. After major surgery and a few days in hospital they denied my STD benefits. Why? For a reason beyond my control. My case manager Tyisha H had me sign (at the docs office) the papers to ok release information twice. She even talked to the surgeons nurse assistant. They still denied it. I would never reccomend MetLife to anyone. I've read horrible reviews about them today. Even open heart surgery didn't get one gentleman's STD. I'm shocked there still in business. Cheers...and don't use MetLife. Read the reviews to be well informed. There are no good ones.

Jules
May 31st, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

This is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They are literally incompetent. Their call center is out-sourced to a foreign country and the people barely speak English so it's hard to understand. Nobody is trained and you get different answers for everything depending on who you ask which results in serious delays in getting any results. THE WORST. AVOID!

Reese
May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This is the life insurance that I have right now through my employment with Wells Fargo Bank. It is only a few dollars a month and gives me $100,000 in coverage. It gives me the peace of mind that my family will be ok if something were to happen to me. I can also make changes and increase coverage at any time.

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I currently have a MetLife life insurance policy. The price on my term policy is very cheap for a lot of coverage. I have had other life insurance policies in the past that haven't been nearly this good. I will stick with MetLife for a long time.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have a substantial term policy through MetLife and it has been wonderful knowing things would be alright if something terrible happened. We pay very little for this calming insurance. I would recommend MetLife to anyone needing life insurance coverage.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have had a MetLife term policy for about 13 years and really like it. When we shopped around MetLife had the best rates for the 20 year term we were looking for. When it comes time to renew that policy I'm positive we will get the same results.

Kymberlee Yack
January 18th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

MetLife offers all of the best life insurance choices such as term, variable, universal, whole and survivorship. it offers a great wide range of plans

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

I haven't had to use my policy, thank goodness, but I think that their prices are good and naming my beneficiaries has been easy.

Lisa Hanson
November 5th, 2018 Calabasas, CA DETAILS

Coverage seemed thorough. Easy to get answers on policies. Agent was attentive and proactive.

Nichole Lathrop
September 24th, 2018 Meridian, ID DETAILS

I went to update payment on my policy and could not access it online. When I called, no one seemed to be able to locate my policy based on the number I was provided. After finding another company for half the price I decided to cancel the policy. First, after going through the automated voice system several times and it always telling me I needed to call back during business hours, no matter what time of day I tried, I finally said "new policy". I miraculously got through to a person. They still could not locate my policy but assured me it was canceled. When I called back the next day to get a cancellation number the lady tried for TWENTY MINUTES to locate my policy and finally said, "yeah, I'd cancel too." It wasn't until I requested a refund of the money paid over the past year, since clearly I didn't have a policy, that they managed to locate my policy. These people are a joke and I question their ability to actually cover you should you need to file a claim.

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 14th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Metlife is very affordable. I liked that when i called in to shop, they were very detailed and informational telling me about all the coverage that they have and making sure i get what was best for me and my family.

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I have MetLife life insurance through my employer. Their website is simple to navigate and I have never had problems

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

I had metlife before. They were great with customers. They had lots of great info to understand coverage. The only thing I would say is that they should hire only agents who are very personable and can sell. The guys that came over was very boring and didn't look like he liked his job much. BUT the company is great!

Allyah
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Friendly customer service. Statements were always mailed out to me and easy to read. great customer experience from everyone i spoke with over the phone.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Responsibly prices insurance if you get it when you are young. Get as long of tern as you can.

Troy Siren
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great coverage for term life. Great rates were low enough to add coverage.

Taylor Siren
June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

With MetLife insurance, you know someone is always there for you and has your back in any situation.

michelle l pierce
June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have life insurance with them, I am hoping when we need it ,they will come through

Hunter Kasprzyk
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This is the life insurance my parents have and what we have set up would take care of my sister and I if anything happened to my parents and its very comforting knowing that if something tragic happened I wouldn't be completely helpless.

george dinges
February 5th, 2018 Altoona, PA DETAILS

they took care of me whenever I had any kind of problem

Carole Rothberg
February 5th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

no problems. Efficient. Provides updates and information.

John Daniel
February 5th, 2018 Diamondhead, MS DETAILS

Great company highly recommend you won't go wrong. Great rates and customer service

Nicole Dash
February 5th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

Best vision and health coverage I ever had out of several my company has used

Joanne Short

HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEIR PRODUCTS OR THEIR SERVICES

John Carpenter
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

The insurance representatives are knowledgeable and courtious and answer all our questions

Jody
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Good service and good rates. Quick payout with accidents

Joe
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Great company- very responsive during interactions and dealings.

Alfredo Balmaseda
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

They're a good company, don't charge too much

Cheryl Nichols
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

my mom had a policy all my life and when she died it paid off immediately.

James Bell
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

I think I get a good deal... They seem to be a very trustworthy company and I have no complaints to date.

Lee Ann Bandy
January 22nd, 2018 Lewisville, TX DETAILS

-000 customer service; exponentially worse for communications. No humans exist in this department. Yes, my mistake for going with MyDirect. It's fully automated and once they get you in The System, getting away from it has been humiliating. Look forward to unauthorized use of your credit card account, no response from your emails, broken website, missing chat links and if you try calling ... at least an hour wait just to hear a, shocker here, real person tell you she can't help you. Shame on you MetLife. There is no excuse for communication practices this bad.

Bobbie Giles
September 12th, 2017 Richmond, VA

MetLife is slow to respond to claim requests.

Bobbie Giles
September 12th, 2017 Richmond, VA

MetLife is slow to respond to claim requests.