MetLife is a life insurer. It has been providing insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs since 1868. It is a global leader in the field and received top ratings in financial strength. While having received high financial ratings, MetLife was involved in class action lawsuits in 2013 and 2015 for allegedly misrepresenting its financial stability. Potential customers should review the cases and look at customer reviews before purchasing insurance coverage from MetLife.

View MetLife Reviews

MetLife specializes in employer-provided benefits. It offers term and permanent life insurance in addition to other employee benefits, like dental and disability insurance.

MetLife serves approximately 100 million customers, 90 of which are Fortune 100 companies. It has branches and subsidiaries throughout North America, South America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Australia. It also invests substantially in the community through volunteering, infrastructure projects and green technologies around the globe.

#1 Bestow chevron_right
#2 Quotacy chevron_right
4.8
#3 Northwestern Mutual chevron_right

The Good

• High Financial Ratings
  • Policy Variety
  • Additional Insurance Coverage Options

High Financial Ratings

MetLife's high financial strength rating denotes financial stability when it comes to processing and making payments on insurance claims. It has consistently earned high financial strength ratings from AM Best and Standard & Poor's. These are some of the highest financial ratings available to life insurance carriers. It's a good idea to purchase a life policy from a life insurance provider with good financial ratings.

Policy Variety

Customers can choose to buy a term life insurance plan, a permanent life policy, or a universal life insurance policy from MetLife. These policies also allow quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to coverage and monthly premium payments. MetLife offers one of the widest variety of policies in the field, ensuring that you can find an insurance policy to suit your needs.

A term life insurance policy offers coverage for a set period of time. These policies are often more affordable than permanent life insurance products.

MetLife's permanent life Insurance policies do not expire. Although the premiums are initially higher, these plans tend to be more cost effective in the long term as well. Many of these plans also have cash value accumulation over the years, which term policies do not.

However, the premium rate for a term policy tends to be cheaper. Permanent life insurance policyholders can sometimes use the accrued cash value to add additional insurance coverage or to make premium payments. Sometimes insurance companies allow the beneficiaries of a life insurance policy to receive some or part of the cash value in addition to the death benefit.

Additional Insurance Coverage Options

MetLife offers several other kinds of insurance. In addition to life insurance, MetLife offers short term disability insurance, long term disability insurance, dental insurance, accident insurance, and health insurance plans that employers can offer their employees. MetLife disability insurance options include long-term disability and short-term disability.

Individuals and families can purchase auto insurance, dental insurance, and home insurance policies directly through MetLife.

The Bad

• No Online Application
  • Offered Through Employers
  • Lawsuits

No Online Application

While MetLife provides lots of information about life insurance on the company's website, it does not have an online application process or offer online life insurance quotes. Instead, employers should work with MetLife agents in order to get a life insurance quote and find a group policy. MetLife's customer service contact information easily available online, so connecting with an insurance agent should be simple.

Offered Through Employers

Unlike some life insurance companies, MetLife gears its life insurance products towards employers. It is a great option for employers seeking to provide their employees benefits. Individuals interested in purchasing their own life insurance policy should enroll in an insurance policy with another company.

Lawsuits

In 2013 and 2015 major class action lawsuits have been filed against MetLife alleging that they have misrepresented their financial ratings and kept capital in offshore accounts that are not regulated as stringently as those in the United States. This amounts to MetLife's reserves being misrepresented as greater than they actually are, these reserves are used to pay out any insurance claim made and federally required to ensure the stability of the company. MetLife has denied all allegations.

Before working with MetLife, it potential customers should review the cases to get a better understanding of them. It's also a good idea to consider customer reviews before purchasing an insurance policy.

The Bottom Line

While MetLife does not offer final expense insurance, it does offer a variety of life insurance coverage options for employers. Life insurance coverage is a nice benefit to include in an employee benefits package whether the employer pays the premiums or employees pay them as a voluntary benefit.

Employers can offer their employees a term life policy or permanent life insurance policy from MetLife. The insurer's variety of life insurance products makes it easy for employers to find something to suit their needs and budget. These are group plans offered through an employer, which contributes to lower premium rates.

While the wide range of life insurance policies and employee benefits make MetLife an insurance and employee benefits provider to consider, it would be wise to review past lawsuits and recent customer reviews before purchasing a policy.

Individuals seeking to purchase their own life insurance coverage or final expense insurance, should investigate other life insurers. If your an employer, MetLife is a good insurance carrier to consider for your business.

View Best Life Insurance Companies

3.8

Sylvia

July 8th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my husband died recently met was the hardest to deal with. Very slow to pay

Sydnee R Lovelace

May 8th, 2020 Salisbury, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

MetLife Ins. Sucks. If you pay them one dime you will regret it. I paid for life ins on my 3 sons for 26 yrs. My youngest son passed away and he was totally disabled from muscular dystrophy and I filed the claim with MetLife. Everytime you call them, it is being reviewed?? After FOUR(4) months we were told that it had been denied because he had married his longtime girlfriend before passing away. I'll prob see a lawyer about my options against this piss poor company!! RUN FROM METLIFE!! DO NOT BUY INS FROM THEM!!!!

Myken

March 22nd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I had a life insurance policy through MetLife offered from his employer. However, after finding a different company that had a much better rate and more responsive customer service we switched.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like MetLife because they have easy to understand policies that cover you well in case of emergency. They are pretty economical too. I will continue to use them for all of my life planning to keep my family safeguarded.

Danielle Powell

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had no issues setting up and getting my questions answered. Great representative. Also great customer service when I had questions

Brianna bourgeois

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I am on met life and they have always had good coverage. I feel confident that incase of an unfortunate accident that I will be covered and be best taken care of without a doubt.

Jolene Tang

January 9th, 2020 Breinigsville, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's very frustrating to call because of phone waiting time. First person I talked got transfer to someone who can help me, then 2nd person said: Please let me transfer you to a right department. I just got transferred! And now I'm on hold for ever! No one is knowing what they are doing besides first phone associate Benjamin that i talked to. This is a company that uses mail only for communication. What century are we in? They never get back to you once they said we will investigate.

Jerry

December 18th, 2019 Burlington, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went to metlife for cheaper insurance and within 2 months my insurance went from $1600.00 a year to $2400.00 a year. Call up and was advised that the underwriter word was final. Guess I'm going back to the old company.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the insurance and enjoy the good price. But not sure I will keep it or just bundle with other insurance I own.

Jeremy Brown

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have a good product and have me one of the better prices for my health background which wasn't bad. The interactions have been good but i wish they provide long-term incentives

Tom Gourley

November 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Typical offerings from a large insurance provider. Service depends on the qualifications of the local representatives and can be good or not.

myrna pigott

November 13th, 2019 Bowie, MD

Filed a death claim since August 9th that was to be paid within 10 to14 days. After numeros telephone calls to hear the claim is in process I have not received any money to date of writing Nov12th 2019 and I do not know what to do to get my money since it is such a small amount.

Anne Burns

October 10th, 2019 Goleta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a life insurance policy with Met Life for 20 years. Very affordable

Cynthia Carman

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The customer service was very helpful when I had questions when we transferred our policies to MetLife.

Ted Johnson

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have life insurance through work, through MetLife. It was easy to add onto my benefits package and is under $10 a month and has me and my family covered. It is a great relief for me to know that this is in place.

Dave G

September 11th, 2019 Joliet, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their website claims that they process life insurance claims within 5-7 business days. It's been 37 business days (7 weeks) since they received the completed claim form and have not received payment. They give different answers every time I call. They have sent me conflicting information. They are a joke.

Boudica

July 26th, 2019 Mount Holly, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

MetLife sucks. After major surgery and a few days in hospital they denied my STD benefits. Why? For a reason beyond my control. My case manager Tyisha H had me sign (at the docs office) the papers to ok release information twice. She even talked to the surgeons nurse assistant. They still denied it. I would never reccomend MetLife to anyone. I've read horrible reviews about them today. Even open heart surgery didn't get one gentleman's STD. I'm shocked there still in business. Cheers...and don't use MetLife. Read the reviews to be well informed. There are no good ones.

Jules

May 29th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They are literally incompetent. Their call center is out-sourced to a foreign country and the people barely speak English so it's hard to understand. Nobody is trained and you get different answers for everything depending on who you ask which results in serious delays in getting any results. THE WORST. AVOID!

Reese

May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the life insurance that I have right now through my employment with Wells Fargo Bank. It is only a few dollars a month and gives me $100,000 in coverage. It gives me the peace of mind that my family will be ok if something were to happen to me. I can also make changes and increase coverage at any time.

Karrie

May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a substantial term policy through MetLife and it has been wonderful knowing things would be alright if something terrible happened. We pay very little for this calming insurance. I would recommend MetLife to anyone needing life insurance coverage.

Scott

May 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have a MetLife life insurance policy. The price on my term policy is very cheap for a lot of coverage. I have had other life insurance policies in the past that haven't been nearly this good. I will stick with MetLife for a long time.

Dean

May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a MetLife term policy for about 13 years and really like it. When we shopped around MetLife had the best rates for the 20 year term we were looking for. When it comes time to renew that policy I'm positive we will get the same results.

Kymberlee Yack

January 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

MetLife offers all of the best life insurance choices such as term, variable, universal, whole and survivorship. it offers a great wide range of plans

Jason Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I haven't had to use my policy, thank goodness, but I think that their prices are good and naming my beneficiaries has been easy.

Lisa Hanson

November 4th, 2018 Calabasas, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Coverage seemed thorough. Easy to get answers on policies. Agent was attentive and proactive.

Nichole Lathrop

September 24th, 2018 Meridian, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went to update payment on my policy and could not access it online. When I called, no one seemed to be able to locate my policy based on the number I was provided. After finding another company for half the price I decided to cancel the policy. First, after going through the automated voice system several times and it always telling me I needed to call back during business hours, no matter what time of day I tried, I finally said "new policy". I miraculously got through to a person. They still could not locate my policy but assured me it was canceled. When I called back the next day to get a cancellation number the lady tried for TWENTY MINUTES to locate my policy and finally said, "yeah, I'd cancel too." It wasn't until I requested a refund of the money paid over the past year, since clearly I didn't have a policy, that they managed to locate my policy. These people are a joke and I question their ability to actually cover you should you need to file a claim.

PolyanaL

September 13th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Metlife is very affordable. I liked that when i called in to shop, they were very detailed and informational telling me about all the coverage that they have and making sure i get what was best for me and my family.

Leslie

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have MetLife life insurance through my employer. Their website is simple to navigate and I have never had problems

tini mapu

August 24th, 2018 Orem, UT

I had metlife before. They were great with customers. They had lots of great info to understand coverage. The only thing I would say is that they should hire only agents who are very personable and can sell. The guys that came over was very boring and didn't look like he liked his job much. BUT the company is great!

NT

August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Friendly customer service. Statements were always mailed out to me and easy to read. great customer experience from everyone i spoke with over the phone.

Sharon Reed

July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Responsibly prices insurance if you get it when you are young. Get as long of tern as you can.

Troy Siren

June 30th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great coverage for term life. Great rates were low enough to add coverage.

michelle l pierce

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have life insurance with them, I am hoping when we need it ,they will come through

Taylor Siren

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

With MetLife insurance, you know someone is always there for you and has your back in any situation.

Hunter Kasprzyk

June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This is the life insurance my parents have and what we have set up would take care of my sister and I if anything happened to my parents and its very comforting knowing that if something tragic happened I wouldn't be completely helpless.

george dinges

February 5th, 2018 Altoona, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

they took care of me whenever I had any kind of problem

Carole Rothberg

February 5th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

no problems. Efficient. Provides updates and information.

John Daniel

February 5th, 2018 Diamondhead, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company highly recommend you won't go wrong. Great rates and customer service

Nicole Dash

February 5th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best vision and health coverage I ever had out of several my company has used

Joe

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company- very responsive during interactions and dealings.

Jody

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good service and good rates. Quick payout with accidents

John Carpenter

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The insurance representatives are knowledgeable and courtious and answer all our questions

Joanne Short

HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEIR PRODUCTS OR THEIR SERVICES

James Bell

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think I get a good deal... They seem to be a very trustworthy company and I have no complaints to date.

Cheryl Nichols

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

my mom had a policy all my life and when she died it paid off immediately.

Alfredo Balmaseda

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They're a good company, don't charge too much

Lee Ann Bandy

January 22nd, 2018 Lewisville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

-000 customer service; exponentially worse for communications. No humans exist in this department. Yes, my mistake for going with MyDirect. It's fully automated and once they get you in The System, getting away from it has been humiliating. Look forward to unauthorized use of your credit card account, no response from your emails, broken website, missing chat links and if you try calling ... at least an hour wait just to hear a, shocker here, real person tell you she can't help you. Shame on you MetLife. There is no excuse for communication practices this bad.

Bobbie Giles

September 12th, 2017 Richmond, VA

MetLife is slow to respond to claim requests.