Glassdoor Logo

6.8

Glassdoor is a company review and employment business with a database of over 8 million company reviews, salary details, interview questions, and open job listings. It was founded in 2007 to help people make more informed career decisions by increasing transparency about compensation and other previously taboo information in the workplace. The company is headquartered in Mill Valley, CA.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
Price Range
Glassdoor's services are free to job seekers. Pricing for job posting on Glassdoor is location based. Posting in a smaller city tends to be less expensive than posting in a larger city because it costs more to drive traffic to jobs in populated cities with many other competitive employer listings. The cost can range from $99 (for one job) to $499 (for 10 jobs), depending on the city and posting package the job recruiter selects. An exact pricing quote can only be obtained after filling out the job listing information. By signing up for a 3 or 10 job slot subscription, the client gets the first 7 days free and can cancel anytime-so it is essentially a free 7-day trial.
Reach
Glassdoor receives over 17 million hits monthly, and they have over 8 million reviews on their site.
Resources and Learning Materials
Glassdoor's blog for job seekers and employees contains articles that discuss:
  • Branding
  • Reviews
  • Salaries
  • Salary transparency
  • Watercooler
The blog for employers covers:
  • Customer success
  • Employee engagement
  • Employer branding
  • How to use Glassdoor
  • Industry trends
  • Job advertising
  • News and events
  • Talent acquisition
For employers, Glassdoor provides a detailed guide to responding to reviews, both positive and negative. This includes who should respond, tips to stay on top of reviews, and why bad reviews are good for business.
Special Features
The most obvious and unique draw to job seekers is Glassdoor's review database. They can access CEO approval ratings, salary reports, interview reviews and questions, benefits reviews, office photos, and other information that may shed light on a particular company. Aside from discussing a personal acquaintance's experience with a company, this is the next best thing. In fact, it might be better, as reviews are written by a number of people over a span of years, and may include company responses. Another feature Glassdoor offers is updates on current company and job trends by location, industry, and job title. Job seekers can see which jobs, companies, and cities are most popular based on what others are searching and sharing on Glassdoor. Employers enjoy five basic features with a free Glassdoor account:
  1. Update company information. This could include the number of employees, industry information, company description, corporate logo, photos, mission, benefits and perks.
  2. Manage reviews. Businesses can get feedback, both positive and negative, and have the opportunity to respond. Glassdoor offers a free guide to responding to comments in a way that shows the company values feedback and transparency.
  3. Gain competitive intelligence. Businesses can gain an accurate picture of which companies are competing for the same talent.
  4. Learn more about candidates. Employers get a demographic breakdown (gender, education, and years of experience) of visitors to their company page, which may give them an idea about who to target for jobs.
  5. See which jobs are being clicked on the most. Being aware of which jobs are most appealing to job seekers can help employers write better job titles and descriptions.
Beyond the free company page account, employers can promote their brand and actively advertise jobs to candidates. Services include integrating their profile into Facebook, accessing advanced analytics and benchmarking, and advertising jobs on competitors' profiles.

The Bad

• Experience
  • Customer support
Experience
The company was founded in 2007 after Rich Barton (co-founder) posed a question to Robert Hohman (another co-founder): "What would happen if someone left the unedited employee survey for the whole company on the printer and it got posted to the Web?" Experience-wise, the company is about ten years behind the first job search companies.
Customer Support
The company's customer support could use some improvement. There is a help center where users can submit a form to be contacted, but no email address or phone number is provided for job seekers with questions. A sales number is provided (888) 355-9323, but the recording encourages job seekers to "continue to use glassdoor.com." A live chat feature would be helpful.

The Bottom Line

Glassdoor is the best resource for getting acquainted with a company's culture, management, and employee satisfaction. Its review database is unmatched and can help job seekers create realistic expectations for working with a particular company. This information alone doesn't necessarily help someone find a job. But by following company pages, potential candidates can be made aware when jobs are available and be prepared by tracking industry and company trends.

Raven Brodsky New York, NY

Great place to look into salary information, but companies like to tell people those numbers are "inflated." As a person who has shared my salary and see the salary of my peers, I think the companies are lying.

Kate Dallas, TX

I love Glassdoor. Not only has this company helped me find jobs, but I can also read reviews about companies from current and former employees. It is extremely helpful to get an inside view of companies before signing up to work for them.

Brian DeVos Boiling Springs, SC

I really like to level of detail and employee reviews of companies. I don't like that you have to become a member and review your own company to see the details of others.

Colt Lacovara ,

Excellent service that keeps you informed and up-to-date with all of your job searching needs! A great user interface with a multitude of customizable options makes it easy to navigate and find your dream job!

Corbin Short ,

Glassdoor by far has the most data of any job search site. It was super helpful for me in preparing for interviews for a lot of different companies. As a job search function, it was less helpful because I was typically applying to jobs through company recruiters. But even if it is less helpful to you for finding jobs, it is still helpful once you have interviews lined up.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I like using Glassdoor for job searching because it does a lot of the searching for you. I put in my past jobs and left reviews for those companies and now it sends me available jobs all the time that actually would interest me. I like that the salary range is often included and that I can see how real employees thought about those companies.

Jim T Nashville, TN

Glassdoor has been an essential part of my job hunting experience and also career exploration experience. I wish more info were available on the free site!

Elizabeth Mutina Gardiner, ME

Great info for jobs but is extremely repetitive and can be quite far away from what your looking for, sends out way too many notifications, emails, really poorly designed app.

Alessandra Jacques Charleston, SC

Glassdoor is great for an initial search, but their job recommendation algorithms are always way off, especially for tech industry jobs, which should be their primary area of expertise. Also the reviews can't always be trusted - I've seen how much the HR department at my company manipulates them.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

This would be an incredibly helpful site except it asks intrusive questions in required settings to even sign up, information you may want not to disclose. It says its private which makes me wonder what they want that info for. You also have to sign up to even be able to read reviews, which is definitely not helpful for someone without a recent or current work history.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Glassdoor is great overall and definitely a go to for me to learn about a company’s culture and decide if it’s the right fit. I think it would be great if they could show a company’s user rating based on different categories of employee demographics.

G Burt ,

Really love the product that Glassdoor offers, being able to understand a company and being able to see what candidates and current employees have to say about the company is invaluable.

David Glauser West Jordan, UT

Glassdoor provided some great info on companies I was looking in to and the salaries of positions I was considering. I also found several jobs I ended up applying for that were listed on Glassdoor.

ISMAIL MUSOSI Kampala, 102

After searching and browsing the internet for jobs, I landed on glassdoor.com. To my surprise, they had jobs for me. I literally had over 50 jobs I could apply for. When I made my choice on which applications I should make, I realized that there were tools that I could use to land an interview and hopefully get myself a job. At glassdoor, you do not just apply to a company, you can read reviews on the company, you can read interview questions and a lot more. Thank you all at glassdoor.

Dreama Wright Edinburg, VA

Easier to actually apply to jobs than a lot of job searching websites that don't ever seem to take you to the right place and not as many annoying useless emails.

Mike Hudson Birmingham, AL

Why so stingy with the reviews? This company doesn't wanna provide sufficient information on potential employers for a prospect to make an informed decision. Charge the company, not the prospect.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Glassdoor is a good idea. It helps you while you are searching for Jobs because you can get reviews of companies. However, whenever I go to glassdoor it doesnt give me the information I would like to see. I think it would be more beneficial if they offered more information. I think it would be more widely used if that were the case.

Lee Hutton San Jose, CA

Glassdoor has been extremely helpful over the past 4 years on my tech job search. Showing the honest employee reviews, the benefits the employees receive, and having a birds eye view of what to expect from a company prior to applying has been crucial in my job search.

Ashley Ulibarri Herriman, UT

I always come to Glassdoor to research a company before an interview or even applying to a position, I like that people who have actually worked for a company can leave a review about it. I find that very helpful when looking at company’s culture.

Dalila C. Santa Ana, CA

I like Glassdoor. It is very easy to use and I think they do a good job at matching you with potential jobs that you are interested in. I have used it to look for employment. I do recommend this website for looking for employment!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Glassdoor is simply a rock solid job search engine. I've used them all and find that they have the best search tools and they display results in an orderly fashion. Great tools to help an applicant find and apply for jobs. And it seems that they have a better insight to companies looking for applicants. So many more job opportunities with Glassdoor.

SaVedra O'Neal Kansas City, MO

I love Glassdoor. This is the best job search and lookup company on my opinion. You don't just see the company and their synopsis of their business. You get to review actual current and past employees opinion of the company. They give you the Pro's and Con's of their experience. Which I think is fair and vital to make the decision when applying for a job.

Terry N Sioux Falls, SD

Good info on jobs from previous employees and gives a good idea what a starting pay should be extected.

applebutteranna Butler West Wendover, NV

Glassdoor is a great way to search for potential jobs! They make it very easy to filter for the jobs you're interested in.

Tlopez90 Hartford, CT

I have personally found few opportunities for employment opportunities on this site a business opportunity I didn't know was in the area

Kevin Malone Washington, DC

I have been using it for a while now to search jobs mostly but I've never received a positive response off of Glassdoor. I would, however, keep using it because there aren't many options available and most of the jobs are posted on a very few platforms.

Hurditya Vancouver, BC

Glassdoor is my go to destination to view a company's reputation, employee salaries and prospective career options. It is a very welcoming platform that helps job-seekers and employees the same.

Andrew Hyde ,

My favorite function of Glassdoor is the ability to see actual, anonymous reviews by current and past employees of the companies you are applying to. Being able to see the pros and cons helped make many job decisions for me.

Iris Sanders Denver, CO

I like that Glassdoor is exactly what it says: transparent and truthful! People can really write about their experiences, and be truthful about what it's like to work for a particular employer.

AF ,

I love the idea of Glassdoor, to be able to learn more about a company from anonymous employees. I like you read reviews from people that feel like they be honest and open. Sometimes I would like to see a larger sample size.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Glass door is a good website to get a little more information on jobs, but I’m always cautious when I would look at the reviews. I know that people are more likely to leave negative reviews than positive reviews, so I try to take those with a grain of salt. In any event, this is a resource I used in my last job search and found it as a useful tool.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I had to use Glassdoor for a continuing project in college that required me to research jobs and companies. I really like how Glassdoor is setup and the information they provide. Being able to see people's reviews of a company is a great idea. It's been extremely interesting to see what people really think of the places they work. I like that they also provide real salaries, real reviews on interviews and benefits. In the future if I am looking for a new job I will definitely use Glassdoor.

Melanie Vancouver, WA

I like that Glassdoor shows salary ranges for companies and different industries. This is has really helped me to understand what my expectations should be while searching for a job. My only critique is that the information for a particular company is not always complete. So it is really a better tool for getting a general idea, rather than finding exact information.

Brody B Orem, UT

Best Job Search website out there. The vast information and employee reviews gives any job seeker a great feel for the company they are about to apply to. I think this is what sets them apart from the competition. The resources offered on the website make searching for a job very easy and not time consuming. i would HIGHLY recommend Glassdoor to anyone looking for a job!

Jeff B Orem, UT

The information that Glassdoor offers to Job Seekers is next to none. Before you even apply for the job you can view what current and past employees have to say. This along with salary reviews can help anyone get a better idea of how their future could look at almost any given company instead of just rolling the dice. I have always had a positive experience with Glassdoor and would highly recommend to anyone in the job market.

Candi Ward Fenton, MI

Absolutely very helpful amd easy to navigate. They keep the list updated and u get results.

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Glassdoor is another tool that is designed to show you information if you are looking for a job. It is very helpful.

Victoria Tschirhart ,

I like them. I use them to learn about companies bevels working for them. You can learn about salary and get employee reviews.

Mark Stansell Boynton Beach, FL

I uploaded my resume to GD and got immediate eyeballs and a few offers for jobs. I am happy with Glassdoor!

Jazmin Redmond, WA

I found some good opportunities on this website. I applied to several jobs and got one from the reference on this website

eileen matos Lakeland, FL

Excellent job search and suggestions including pay rate and employees reviews. Easy apply options available

Kyle Provo, UT

Great way to prep for interviews. I often bring up negative reviews just to see how the interviewer responds.

Jared Provo, UT

I've used Glassdoor a limited amount to learn about different companies and the salaries/cultures there. It has been good for what I needed it for!

Kellie Payne Pickerington, OH

Has different jobs than other boards, but the search function is too specific to find entry level jobs if you don’t have a certain role or company you are looking for

Phoenicia Cloud Rosamond, CA

I like that Glass door had cross over applications from other web sites. I found the site helpful and fairly simple to apply and use my resume.

Vikti Mehta Frisco, TX

Glassdoor has provided helpful salary statistics and company reviews for me to research which companies I am interested in. Sometimes information is locked when you use Glassdoor in a simple Google search.

Rog Los Angeles, CA

They are awesome. I just filled in what I was supposed to, and they sent me so many job opportunities. I had no idea job searching could be this easy

Florencia Angelica Leeds, LDS

Gives a good idea about companies, roles, and interview expectations. Reviews are based on personal experiences which can vary drastically from person to person. So not really a true reflection on the overall company.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I've used Glassdoor multiple times in search of salary information, information about jobs in general, and people's reviews of working at specific jobs. I've never paid for the service, so sometimes I haven't been able to view some things on the site.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I looked into getting a part time job recently that would be flexible with my schedule. My daughter suggested using Glassdoor to look for jobs. While I still haven't found a job that I would like, the website was very useful. I really liked the rating system and being able to see other people's reviews on the companies they worked for.