Founded in a spare bedroom in 1986, Viasat looks much different now than it did three decades ago. Today, the company has grown into a corporation and has even launched a satellite into space. This growth can be credited in part to Viasat's exceptional products, including the company's high speed satellite internet network. Though the Viasat team is always looking for new ways to expand and evolve, the company is fully committed to providing top-notch service and tech support to every customer.

Viasat was formerly known as Exede Internet.

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.5
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.3

The Good

• Innovative Satellite Technology
  • Customizable Internet Packages

Innovative Satellite Technology

Viasat utilizes satellite technology for its broadband internet network, which is a newer form of technology in the industry. The Viasat satellite is thousands of miles in space and provides a continual signal due to the way that it orbits Earth. Because of this, customers will enjoy a more consistent, reliable broadband internet service.

Customizable Internet Packages

Viasat allows customers to customize certain parts of their Viasat plans. For example, customers can choose their data allowance. Viasat satellite internet plans come with set data caps, but customers may upgrade it to include additional data.

Another customization feature offered in Viasat's plans is the Hibernation Plan which allows customers with multiple residences to transfer internet service between locations. With the Hibernation Plan, customers can shut off the internet access in one home and turn the satellite service on in another. These features are designed to help meet each customer's individual needs.

The Bad

• Slow Download Speeds and Upload Speeds
  • 24-Month Contract

Slow Download Speeds and Upload Speeds

While satellite technology provides a reliable internet connection, it does not offer the fastest broadband internet speed. Viasat's download speed and upload speeds vary based on location and are competitive with other satellite internet companies.

However, even the fastest broadband speed possible with Viasat (12 Mbps) is slow when compared to speeds offered by other high-speed internet providers. In fact, many of Viasat's competitor broadband service providers have low-tier internet packages with internet speeds similar to Viasat's top speed that may be cheaper.

24-Month Contract

All Viasat customers are required to sign a 24-month contract, which states that they will pay for their Viasat satellite internet plans for the entire length of the contract. If the customer decides to break the contract for any reason, they must pay an early termination fee, which is determined by how much time is left in the agreement. For every month left on the contract, the customer is required to pay $15, meaning that the fee will be steep if the customer needs to cancel early on in the contracted time period. Early termination fees are common among internet service providers.

The Bottom Line

If you are looking for satellite internet providers that offer customizable internet plans, Viasat Internet may be a good option for you. However, keep in mind that the company's download and upload speeds are slow and that you will be required to sign into a 24-month contract. Be sure to check that Viasat Internet is offered in your area by looking at their website or speaking with a representative. Customers seeking high speed broadband internet with a faster internet speed should consider other internet service providers in their area.

View Best Internet Service Companies

1.4
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Jason
February 26th, 2018 Centerville, TN DETAILS

I have been with Exede for years cause there is no other internet in my area. but with the world we live in we need it. So if I can STOP people for getting the worst Internet . Hughnet is in no good there is just has bad. So if you can get any thing like your cell to get your internet with it will be faster then there stuff bay a long shot I am doing it and it made this so much better and know I am happy I do hope I STOP people for getting EXEDE and HUGHNET too

Mileen Coulter
February 5th, 2018 Santa Fe, TX DETAILS

They are the fastest and more for your money. Better than the others.

Josh Lane
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Doesn't work half the time and when it does work it's slow

KA Swoboda
October 11th, 2017

This could be a book, but I will try and keep it in a nut shell. We live in a rural area and options for internet are minimal. Two years ago we were forced into trying a satellite based internet and chose Exede. $80 got us 12 Mbps which should be enough considering we don’t do games, rarely stream anything and mainly surf the web, some YouTube and order a lot off eBay and Amazon. When reception was good it really wasn’t too bad and speed when the internet was working wasn’t bad either. In 2 years we were able to download one movie, which took several hours, and our 12 Mbps was spent. We tried about 2 other times and couldn’t even get the movie to completely download because the 12 Mbps would be completed before it was done. The first 6 months, or so, I was on the phone with them monthly trying to determine what was going on with the way they counted usage, returning equipment that failed once, and finally just concluding it wasn’t worth my time and aggravation to continue the monthly inquires. Spent the next 1.5 years living under a contract with a ½ working internet provider and paying out $80 a month for service that wasn’t there. I finally get down to the last month and call and tell them I want to cancel service because it was inadequate. They told me that they needed the modem, cables and the little box up on the dish that they put up so I would have an equipment charge. I told them they were welcome to come get it because they put it on the second story. They said there would be a $95 service call and they would not be taking or removing the dish. How convenient! Begin 60 years old getting on my roof is not wise, I have to dispose of their trash and repair the holes in my roof. Looks like I have to hire someone to do their work because I have already been robbed by them over the last 2 years. Also, since I called a month ahead and told them I was canceling they went ahead and turned off the internet completely a month early, did I mention that I am still paying for that last month so I don’t have early cancellation charges on my final bill. Moral of the story, if you have any other option try them instead of Exede. We are now going with AT&T hotspot and so far it appears to be working ok.

Lloyd Douglas
August 14th, 2017

Complete scam do not use them. Worst internet service of our life.

Bruce Laveway
May 1st, 2017

Worst Internet EVER!! Do not waste your money. I recently moved and inquired with Direct TV on a bundled internet package. They said they could bundle me with a satellite provider. They did not tell me who and I did not ask. I did however directly ask what speed I would be getting. They told me I would be getting at least 25MBPS download which was faster than any other internet I had checked with in the area so I agreed on this bundled package. It took two weeks before someone finally came out to install my internet. Before the installer left I ran a speed test and only came up with 4.05MBPS. When I asked the installer about this he told me it was not his department and that "you cant trust those speed tests". After only one day I could hardly do anything online. It was totally useless and has been for this whole 30 days. When I called and inquired they said I had used up all my primary data after only one day. How is this possible?? I have no Kids, I dont play any games and there are only two of us here that work outside the household every day. I have now had the internet for a total of 30 days and It has been totally useless. Cant' watch facebook videos, cant watch netfilx or youtube. About the only thing I can do is go online on my computer for email and that is slower than my moms dial up internet back in the 90s was. I called and asked what I needed to do to get out of this waste of money. They told me I would have to pay $380.00 to get rid of it. I don't understand how when I was told I would be getting 25MBPS and nothing was even brought up about data usage at the time I signed up that they can expect me to pay to get rid of it. As far as I am concerned the service I was told I would be provided was not ever even close to be met or satisfactory so why should I have to pay for something I did not receive? I have ran speed tests over the last 30 days and screen shot each one. I have never seen over 3MBPS and most of the time its around .35 or .25 not even 1.0MPBS. DO NOT DO IT! GARBAGE.....