Cox Internet Logo

Cox Internet

6.1

LAST UPDATED: June 22nd, 2022

Cox Internet is a major part of the internet service providers industry. It provides about six million customers with internet access and is one of the nation's largest broadband companies right now. Currently, Cox Internet is only serving select areas across the country.

The internet provider offers customers a download speed up to 1 Gbps and up to 1 TB data cap. Cox's monthly prices start at $49.99.

View Cox Internet Reviews

As a company, Cox Internet believes in giving back and making opportunities for its employees. Cox prides itself on being charitable in their communities and have a wide diversity within the company. Cox Internet is a constant innovator in the internet service industry.

The Good

• High Speed Internet Plan
  • Bundling Options
  • Affordable Prices

High Speed Internet Plan

One of the most important features of internet service is the download and upload speed. Cox Internet provides excellent speeds to its customers. It offers five internet speed options for customers to choose from. Those Cox internet plan options include the following:

• Cox Internet Starter 10 — $29.99 per month, 10 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Essential 30 — $39.99 per month, 30 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Preferred 150 — $59.99 per month, 150 Mbps
  • Cox Internet Ultimate — $79.99 per month, 300 Mbps
  • Gigablast -$99.99 per month, 940 Mbps

What might jump out to you is the high-speed access on the upper end. Cox internet service offers some impressive download speeds, a high speed internet connection, and a quality gigabit ethernet plan.

Bundling Options

Most cable modem providers give you the option to bundle cable TV and internet, and so does Cox. But unlike the competition, Cox service has nine ways to bundle:

• Bronze Bundle — $89.99 per month, 140+ channels, 150 mbps, phone
  • $64.99 per month, 75+ channels, 10 Mbps, phone
  • $74.99 per month, 75+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone
  • $94.99 per month, 75+ channels, 150 Mbps, phone
  • $137.48 per month, 140+ channels, 30 Mbps, phone

You can see more details on Cox's website and customize your plans to include phone service and Cox home security.

Most of these bundled services have a two-year contract.

Affordable Prices

Cox's internet package prices are competitive for the industry and are lower than some of its competitors' prices.

The ISP also provides residential customers with a lower-speed option (the Essential package) if you don't need as much power behind your internet usage. The prices stated above do not include taxes, modem or wi fi router rental fees, or the $10 per month surcharge for a month-to-month contract instead of a one year contract.

New customers can also receive a discounted price for the first 12 months.

These prices are not exceptionally high and are even low compared to some of their competitors' prices. This is especially true for the higher packages. Some other internet service providers charge almost double for that high of a speed.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • No-Contract Fee

Data Limits

Cox gives all its customers a data cap of 1 TB per month. As far as data caps go, 1 TB is common in the industry and provides users with plenty of data.

Customers who surpass their data limit will be charged an additional $10 per up to 50 GB excess data used.

This can be an issue for customers if they want the speed that is associated with a certain package but need more than its allotted amount of data. Not all ISPs put caps on data usage, and unlimited data plans are growing in popularity, so this does put Cox at a disadvantage.

No-Contract Fee

Most service providers will require you to sign at least a 12-month contract, and Cox is no different unless you're willing to pay more. Cox charges $10 per month if you want to forego a contract.

However, some internet providers offer month-to-month plans with no added fees, so if you're not sure if you'll stay in one place or stick with Cox, you might be more interested in working with another company.

The Bottom Line

Cox Internet does a good job of providing a lot of options for their customers to choose from. These packages are very reasonably priced and compare well with their competitors in the industry.

There are a few drawbacks to the services provided by Cox Internet, like the data caps on their packages. Overall, Cox Internet could be a good choice for customers who are looking for specific needs to be met.

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.2

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Cox Internet is a great internet service provider. They came our to my house and had me up and running in no time. They have great prices and you can bundle up and save even more money.

James Richards Las Vegas, NV

I just started getting col internet. So far I love. It's fast, it was easy to have installed. And customer service is awesome. My phone is really fast and I use it for all my streaming devices. Great Andi would approve it for anyone.

Rachel Ramey Mesa, AZ

This is the most overpriced internet service. I do NOT recommend them. They have a one time “fee waiver” which I have never called to use but now saying it’s automated now that I called to question my bill that is $100.00 over what I normally pay. I’ve been on hold for at least an hour. Please use other internet services if you can!!! I just waited for a supervisor for an hour and got hung up on!!! We’re having a new internet service coming, Cox’s customer service is the absolute worst!

LaVoya Searcy Siloam Springs, AR

I liked they gave us quick service. I called made an appointment and they came right out. Had service the same week we moved to our new home. What I didn't like was not being able to get them on the phone when I needed to.

Latresha Holman Phoenix, AZ

Well I have been with them and it’s a lot of problems with my internet but one thing I can say is it’s always somebody 24 hour you can contact to help and also if you are having any trouble with anything reach out to them and they will do there best to accommodate you will the best help

Pickgrinder Las Vegas, NV

Have been a long time customer. Both cable and WiFi service has been great and not-so-great. Their customer service has come a long way, especially their Tech Support team. During the 2020 quarantine, lots and lots of people had to work from home and the network was overloaded with too many users. Our WiFi dropped on a consistent basis daily. Looking back, Cox fixed the problem over a few months AND compensated us for service not rendered as advertised.

Unhappy Admin Null Oklahoma City, OK

I needed to edit my router settings. The settings page said they were being "automatically managed" and wouldn't allow me to edit the settings I needed to connect an older device I had that wasn't compatible with the new configurations. I could literally see the thing I needed to change right there on the page in a drop down menu that was grayed out. So I called customer service and was treated horribly. The first person I talked to transferred me to tier 2 quickly, and the tier 2 tech support guy was nice but couldn't get me what I needed. He said he would transfer me to an engineer in tier 3, but then hung up on me. I waited a little bit for a callback, but never got one. So I called again. I got stuck with a guy who was polite, but clearly didn't know what he was doing. He would repeat back to me what he thought my issue was, but it was a totally different thing. I would clarify and he would keep saying "oh so you need help with [completely wrong thing that has nothing to do with my issue]." Then he said I needed to pay $10 a month for more help. I have to pay extra to get support for a service I am already billed a high amount for?? That's ridiculous! Eventually I convinced him to pass me onto a tier 2 agent, hoping I would be able to talk to the man who had hung up on me before (probably accidentally). Then I spoke with a woman who was very rude and lied to me, saying there was no tier 3, she was the highest it went, and that there was no way anyone could change that setting I needed changed. She also tried to say I needed to pay $10 a month to receive more help. How can Cox claim to be a good business when they won't even help you when their product is faulty? I don't recommend Cox because they lie to you, are overly complicated on purpose in hopes of selling you more stuff you don't need, and refuse to give you full control over your own account even if you are a paying customer. I am the administrator for my account, I should be able to change my own settings. No one should have to pay extra for competent tech support. Honestly, what I needed wasn't even tech support. I just needed to change one setting that was already on the page. This is ridiculous.

terry r Las Vegas, NV

Cox is a pretty good cable company but they do have power outages in the Las Vegas area more frequently than most and they are very expensive. I had Cox internet services for nearly two years and my monthly fee was nearly $200.00 and I could not get them to lower my rates. I switched to DTV for a lower rate.

Cierra Gohlke Auburn Hills, MI

I had Cox internet when I lived back home and it was honestly the best internet provider. Their customer service was great and always available to answer any concerns or questions we had. The price was great, too! Couldn't have asked for a better service. Thanks Cox!

Orsion Gainesville, FL

Not a bad company for internet and cable. They do the job they set out to do on those two aspects. As far as their security system I had it removed. It kept going off in the middle of the night even after I had a tech come out to check on it about 5 different times. I still keep the cameras and use them to check on my house while I am away but would love it if I could add the recording without having to have the entire home security system. I was told by a rep that it may be added separately in the future.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Cox internet delivered fast down load speed. Reasonable data usag terms, with no throttling. Delightful customer service. Affordable for my budget. Easy to sign up on-line.. Also easy to bundle Cox cable internet with cable tv and other services. Variety of plans and options that fit my needs.

Jacob Luttbeg Atlanta, GA

Internet went out for 30 minutes, called, was hung up on. Called again and was told I would have to play 75 dollars for a technician to visit only if the issue wasn't on their end. I live in an apartment which would than have to inspect if the issue wasn't on their end. I pay 83 dollars a month for service that provides 1/5th of the mbps that it is intended to offer. Horrible, but what is suspected of a monopoly.

coyote480 Queen Creek, AZ

I cannot stress how BAD this company is. Unfortunately, Cox is the only option in my area. Their service is poor, with the internet failing several times a day. Also, they LIE about how many devices can be hooked up with their modem. They claim there is no limit, yet I have discovered that the limit is between 25 and 30. I attempted to hook up multiple security cameras and other devices, only to have the connection fail after 25. ALSO, they have tried, several times, to add false charges to our bill. It takes multiple attempts to get these charges removed. I reckon that many people will just pay the full bill without exploring what they are paying. I am not so gullible.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

I recently cut the cable but i kept the high speed internet/gigablast. There's nothing faster... period. If you request, they come out and upgrade your cables and splitters. I pay 129.00 for gigablast with included data. 5 Stars.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I have been a customer of Cox Internet for almost 3 years now, and have been and continue to be very satisfied with the internet service I receive from Cox. They are prompt in their response(s) to any question(s) I might have, and their customer service representatives are knowledgeable and friendly. I am one VERY happy customer!!

INCOGNITO Las Vegas, NV

What i like about Cox Internet is that I can pause. Block. Reboot my modem. And adjust the settings to make my internet visible or invisible. And I can control what my kids have access to ASWELL. I get alerted when suspicious activity is detected.

Calista Huber Phoenix, AZ

I have really appreciated our internet service and experience through Cox! We previously had a different internet provider at our old house, and it was pretty rough. We only stayed with the old one for financial reasons, and when we moved, it wasn't available in our new house. We switched to Cox when we moved, and they have been very helpful! We have a pretty basic service, we sometimes have outages or slow internet, but we have what we need and the customer service is generally very friendly!

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

Currently with coz after trying out a few other internet service providers. And it’s def on top of the list. Good reliable service and great speeds for the money. The introductory price is best value and works for our gaming and tech savvy home

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

I've had Cox for about a decade and we all want the fastest internet without any issues or interruptions ever, which is nearly impossible. I've had billing issues in the early years where I'd have to check the bill for accuracy, but it's been very clear and consistent in the recent years. We have gigablast and the highest speed They've been excellent with credits for down service, especially during the pandemic, and have recently come to our neighborhood to work on getting faster service.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

I was a happy to have service with Cox it was affordable, customer service was quick to resolve any problems they offered a wide variety of services including security service rather than having to go too another company instead of committing to two separate contracts with two different companies receiving my landline phone, internet and security service made my chose of being a Cox customer was an amazing choice

Luke Swierczynski Franklin, MI

Wish I could still use Cox, best value for fiber internet I've ever had. Sadly when I moved they were not available in my new area. If they ever expand I'm set to get alerts and would happily switch back!

Albert Eribes Chandler, AZ

So far my experience has been positive. I would have rated Cox 5 stars had it not been for the disinterested worker at the Cox store I went to in Mesa, Arizona. The customer service representative I spoke to was great however!!

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

Excellent cable service & good service time response. Quality pictures & selection of programming. We have enjoyed Cox internet & always had a Strong signal with no interruptions.

Austin Tempe, AZ

Customer service is typically a downfall for Cox. I currently use this service as it is the only service available in my area. For the fact that we pay for 500mbs and usually push somewhere between 150-300Mbps, I think they are over charging and throttling the internet speeds to their customers. Therefore they will lose a star on that. Plus, the service is spotty and their modem that you can rent, DO NOT!! Go out and buy your own as the one rented is a hassle and does not work well at all.

Tate Huber Phoenix, AZ

We switched to Cox about 2 years ago and the service has been great. It might be because we switched from a pretty bad provider, but we rarely face any issues and the customer support team is always able to help.

tommy melvin Henrico, VA

I set my parents up with Cox a long time ago and they have never had issues. Easy set up, great customer service for their questions, quick repair when necessary, easy install.

BlancheL

I enjoy the service, there are times I question the rates. However when I call the customer dept to discuss why my bill increased, the reps are very understanding and help me to understand the billing part and keep my sale payment

Leon Yoakum Los Angeles, CA

Using cox was so simple and easy to use and customer service was great

Dave Tanguay Sierra Vista, AZ

I live in SE Arizona. For years I had Century Link (the telephone company) DSL service. Their service was horrible as I couldn't even get 1.5 Mb/s most of the time. Three years ago I switched to Cox and signed up for Preferred Service which was 25 Mbps at that time. After some difficulty in scheduling work on getting a new cable wired to the house the service has been fantastic! I got consistent speeds and great reliability. Two years ago Cox quietly upped the speed to 50 Mbps. Speedtest.net consistently reports speeds of 60+Mbps. Since then I dropped Century Link as my landline phone provider in favor of VOIP service with Vonage. Goodbye Century Link. I hope to never have dealings with you again! This is an honest review. No one paid me to say these nice things about Cox Internet.

Matthew Laney Fullerton, CA

Most patronizing, least helpful customer service reps I gave ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. It's like they fancy themselves as some sort of cable gods ruling their little fiefdoms.

michael badran San Clemente, CA

Terrible, terrible, terrible, very high price with no great service , they have a monopoly in some areas that is why I am stuck with them, but before you sign note they make you pay a phone service that will never use $25 , they increase your price , they also dont give you great service don't sign , just find another service

Emily Walls Tulsa, OK

Horrible customer service and sales experience the tech are idiots and the actual service is crap! I’ve been with cox 12 + years and I e never had such horrible service until the last 2 yrs I’m fighting them in a daily basis just to be able to work from home I have the highest internet plan and haven’t changed anything and now all of a sudden I’m going over my internet and can’t get good service at all! I’m fixing to leave to go to att which is bad!

Nursing for patients Tulsa, OK

Over all it is average. It freezes alot and some reason every month it says im used up my whole plan over the last few months and using it less actually. Even upgraded and get the same thing. I only have internet and no cable.

Steven Shimmin

Kind of half and half, they set up internet and streaming at the new house, but then they try to switch and bait and raise prices like crazy. Just want a honest straight forward deal, no tricks and surprises. May have to start looking at other providers for TV and internet. Kind of disappointed with Cox and their customer service reps

Peter Shimming

I have been using Cox Internet Service since I moved to America as a student. As you know that students have to do extensive research and have to connect.. Socialize on social media platforms and study online too. Moreover, I had to stay call my parents overseas on Skype, where I had to stay connected to my family on the phone too. The only activity I had at the time was to watch my favorite seasons and movies online after college or visit a social media website and interact with people. Cox Communication answered to all my needs and got me the connection that never disappointed me. It keeps me connected all the time and gives my connection a Power Booster via PowerBoost that boosts when I am transferring large files. The connection is highly secured and covers upto 5 PCs at a time. When this is not enough, McAfee has my back. Apart from all that, Cox Internet gives you around 10 email addresses and online storage so that you don't have to bother about your important files including images, video, audio, and documents. Cox Communication gives you the peace of mind and ease of use that you need. You can avail their bundle offers with a click here http://www.coxbundledeals.com/

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

Cox is our internet provider in our current home. They gave us a great deal on our start up, and gave us a great modem that has great range. We get great wifi coverage in our house, and our internet speed is lightening fast. The price is great as well for the quality of service. The company was easy to work with, and never gave us any problem. The install was fast and easy and we were up and running in no time. Great experience so far.

Russell Scott

These guys can't seem to keep their connections to it we were constantly going out so know we have to re-set our cable everyday

Erik Lewis Minneapolis, MN

Decent service and setup was easy. They let me bring my own cable modem which not every provider allows.

BillRI Narragansett, RI

During recent storms Cox internet went down when neighbors with other providers stayed up and working. Customer service is cumbersome and frequently issues are not entirely resolved.

Adrian Crute Escondido, CA

Been with Cox for 4 months, I moved house and used to have spectrum. I am using the same equipment in used with spectrum (I always use my own high end equipment). Had no issue ever with the Spectrum service. Moved 15 miles up the road, only Cox has fiber in the area. The quality of the connection is terrible. From 4pm on wards till about 11pm i lose 35% of all out-going packets when playing online. This makes online gaming impossible. I had an engineer come out and after reviewed his data and even took the time to review the data I collected (To be fair he was a great technician) he found no issue with my equipment or the house. He found back into his boss who then confirmed that they knew the area i was in was overloaded and at breaking point but they had no idea if they were going to be installing extra capacity. They themselves had raised it up the ladder as urgent and were just told by head office they were aware of the issue. The technician was just as frustrated as me.

Michael MacKinnon North Smithfield, RI

Why aren't communications companies regulated like utility companies? The average consumer has no advocate. When these creeps engage in pseudo charitable activities, they give from one hand and stick the other in your wallet. They're not giving anything away until they can raise these monies from us. Until consumers can be assured of proper regulatory practices these animals will continue to run rough-shod all over us. Remember the Romanovs. That's what it might take. A few of these cooperate pirates taken outside and properly beaten may a cause a rethinking of cooperate models. Cox attracts new customers with 29.99 but almost doubles it next year and every year they want a little more. I'm positive they are throttling. We are the ones paying for corporate competition - the corporations are the winners and we are the losers. Don't feel too sorry for remote workers - there are plenty of corporate arrangements to help these people with their communications and we're probably helping out with that too.

Doug , FL

I just donated 2 hours of my life explaining the flaws of their signup process, all for the betterment of future customers. First, when I signed up on the internet, paying the extra fees to expedite the process, I was given a choice to buy my own or rent equipment. Fine. I weighed the options and rented, and the equipment was delivered. The instructions with the equipment stated, 1) Find and active coax connection, 2) plug it in and wait 10 minutes, 3) enjoy. Well, you know, I plugged it in to a coax connection that was in the best location, no work. Then, at the advice of a technician now involved I plugged it into a coax active with DirectTV, no work. Set up an appointment with technician to fix it. Then my son told me he paid $150 for one of the coax connections for Cox internet. I tried that, it worked. So when the instructions say “active” coax connection, that means one where Cox has had a technician work his magic on at $100 a pop. No where in the signup process or equipment instructions was I given that information. So I went over this experience very carefully with the person on the phone in the hopes they could clarify the missing link to the customer, the correctly wired “active” cable. Will they now communicate this? Honestly, having lived in Gainesville since 1979 but also spending 10 years in Tampa, this is such a one-horse town.

Bill Fredericks Williamsburg, VA

There are 2 reasons I'm not satisfied with Cox internet service. 1) When it rains, the internet intermittently drops out often even in light rain when raining for a while. There is likely some problem with the wiring outside and/or in our neighborhood. 2) When it is not raining, our speed is poor. I have been doing speeds tests and logging them in a spreadsheet. We are paying for the 150Mbps plan, but we rarely see above 50 Mbps down and above 10 Mbps upload. If we had a consistent 100 Mbps download, I would not be complaining about Cox, but our service is bad enough that I'm taking this time from my family on a Sunday to write this.

David Plummer Glendale, AZ

Fifteen years ago, Cox was a real stand up company. Service was reliable and phone support was easily accessible (and without having to wait for extended periods). But they have been on a steady decline since then. Of course they hide behind technicalities so as to avoid responsibility. I understand, and even agree, that property OWNERS have responsibility to fix issues on their own properties that connect to the closest Cox box. But, renters exist as a legal entity that separates them from the ownership of the property. Renters pay to use the interior of their unit. Renters do NOT own the building. Renters do NOT own the roof. Renters do NOT own the space around the wall studs. Once you go behind the wall (i.e. the wall cavity), the duty to fix issues shifts from the renter to the owner and other suppliers. Cox actually expects a renter to go on the roof of a building to fix their equipment. Cox expressed point blank that they didn't care if the problem I was experiencing was also occurring to any of my neighbors. And then they wonder why they get two stars now when 15 years ago they would get 5 stars. When a Cox tech was out, they found multiple "splitters" on the roof of my apartment building. It was the "splitters" that was retarding the quality of service into my unit. If this was affecting my unit and there were many other "splitters" on the roof, there is a good chance that some of the neighbors are not getting optimal service. But Cox personnel expressed that it was all the other renters' problem. They didn't even express any interest in getting together with property owners or managers to ensure the problem isn't impacting others. That tells the story of Cox these days. They take your money with (service UP TO certain MBps) and they have no interest in assuring their service actually DELIVERS the service speed they sell. And of course, they hide behind the "UP TO" terms. So Cox customers are supposed to just pay the monthly bill and just accept whatever service Cox feels like delivering.

Joyce Schaaf Phoenix, AZ

they have my internet, phone(land line) and my cable. I have had very few problems with them over the life of my service with them. I have been with them since they became Cox and with the Companies before since 1983

Richard S Mission Viejo, CA

I've lived in several US cities. Most of them I used Cox when available because they were the most familiar to me. Looking back, I have only bad memories of them. In each of the places but Vegas was probably the worst. Not just bad but illegal. I have had several complaints about conflicts of interest and allowing law enforcement access to my dwelling without my permission. And alternatively, not taking care of their responsibility when lines were faulty outside of my residence. I really don't even want to give them 1 star but just trying to be fair because there were some days everything worked correctly

Judy Leith

Service is great, costs are too high. They always let you know if there's an outage and will credit you account if needed. However, compared to other companies, their cable costs are very high, and if you don't bundle with them, they are even worse.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Cox has been a stable and reliable service. They are well intentioned and provide great customer service. Broadband speeds are competitive for the price. Very happy with Cox Internet and would use them again!

Mackenzie Gilbert, AZ

I had the home Cox Internet service for 4 years and never had any major problems. The few outages we had were resolved within 24 hours. We recently switched to a business grade connection because I work from home and need more stable speeds for the work I do. It has been delivering consistent speed since it was installed.

Antonia Montague , IL

I use Cox Cable for internet service and they're very reliable. I find them a little expensive for cable and the price goes up after a year so I didn't choose to keep that service. Overall they're easy to work with. The customer service department is difficult to access sometimes. The quality of the internet service is good--no lag with multiple devices, no getting shut down for long periods in a storm or with block outages, etc.