Comcast Xfinity Internet Logo

Comcast Xfinity Internet

7.1

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

Comcast is a major force in the telecommunications industry because of its large service area and the sheer number of customers it has served. If you've ever researched internet packages, Comcast has likely come up.

The company's regular rates start at $49.95 per month. You can bundle TV, phone, and home security services with its internet.

View Xfinity Reviews

The Comcast Company has two major parts: Comcast Cable and NBC Universal. These two parts work together to bring all of the various types of media to homes across the United States.

Xfinity is a part of Comcast Cable and brings phone, TV service, home automation, and high-speed internet to customers. A variety of package options are available depending on the speeds and features accessible in your area.

Xfinity has a commitment to great service that is backed by a money-back guarantee.

The Good

• High Speeds
  • High Availability
  • Security
  • Xfinity Bundle Advantages
  • Contract-Free Option

High Speeds

Xfinity Internet offers some of the highest speeds in the industry. Its internet plans are organized by speed.

• 25 Mbps (~$40 per month)
  • 100 Mbps (~$45 per month)
  • 200 Mbps (~$60 per month)
  • 300 Mbps (~$70 per month)
  • 600 Mbps (~$80 per month)
  • 1,000 Mbps (~$84.99– $90 per month)
  • 2,000 Mbps (~$299.95 per month)

Keep in mind that this pricing information is only for the first 12 months and the pricing will depend on your location and contract length. Some plans may not be available in some areas. These prices can change depending on your timing.

Equipment, installation, and activation fees also apply in some cases—more on that below.

High Availability

Since Xfinity is a large entity in the ISP industry, it covers a huge area across the United States: it's available in 39 states. With that large area coverage comes a lot of variation in upload speeds and download speeds available to you.

Xfinity doesn't have solid available speeds until it conducts a speed test for a specific address. This can be an obstacle if you're looking at internet options but aren't certain about your future zip code.

But, it's also a benefit because customers don't have to pay a fee for a certain speed package unavailable in their area. The price for an internet plan depends on the internet speed that's available; you won't overpay for Mbps that you're not receiving in your location.

When choosing a speed, you should consider whether multiple devices will access the internet. Xfinity provides general package information to give you an idea of what you might pay for certain areas.

Security

Along with quick internet speeds for reasonable prices, Xfinity also promises internet security.

Xfinity has partnered with Norton Antivirus to bring their customers online protection. These security measures are easily downloaded onto any computer or device once you've chosen your package.

The cost of this software is included in the monthly Xfinity bill. There is no additional charge for this security service.

Free security is a big bonus that could keep you safe from theft and viruses.

Bundling Advantages

Like many other internet service providers, Xfinity offers additional services, like cable, in addition to its high-speed internet.

But if you think cable is antiquated, that's not your only bundling option with Xfinity. Xfinity has the option for customers to stream hundreds of channels and videos to view in their own homes through Xfinity TV service, the Xfinity Stream app, Xfinity Instant TV, or Xfinity Cable TV.

Xfinity packages offer the customer more than one of these services. If you choose to add on more services through Xfinity, they're typically bundled at a lower price. This is a huge benefit if you're hunting for several new services, but it's a downside if you're not.

If you strictly want internet service, you might be missing out on some promotions and better deals.

Contract-Free Option

If you don't plan on staying with Xfinity, or if you plan on moving shortly, you can choose an Xfinity plan with no contract. Customers who choose this option will pay a higher monthly rate, but this is a convenient choice for those who dislike being locked into a contract that may raise rates.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • Fees
  • State Coverage

Data Limits

Xfinity does not offer unlimited data. It has implemented data limits. Some of these data caps are as high as 1 TB.

Xfinity also requires a one- to two-year contract on many of its packages. Some other internet service providers do not have data limits or require contracts, so if you're wary of committing to an ISP long-term, so this may offputting.

Fees

Xfinity's service has a few costs that customers consider hidden fees. While these aren't technically "hidden fees" because they are mentioned in Xfinity's contracts, users sometimes see them as abrupt and unfair:

• Installation fee. This can be negotiable, but technicians typically charge a $60.00 fee to install Xfinity. Customers can opt for a do-it-yourself kit for a cheaper cost.
  • Reactivation fee. If a customer temporarily turns off their service, Xfinity charges a small reactivation fee.
  • Equipment fee. If you choose to rent Xfinity gateway, the provider's 2-in-1 modem/router, you'll pay a monthly rental price. Customers looking to lower their bill should purchase their own compatible equipment upfront.
  • Xfinity TV fees. Xfinity charges several fees for add-on TV service, including premium channels and DVR.
  • Late payment fee. Xfinity will charge an add-on of $10.00 if a customer pays their bill late.
  • Early termination fee. Xfinity Internet offers customers a 1-year contract where their price is locked in for that year. However, if the customer needs to end the contract early, they are subject to an early termination fee.

You might also see fees such as a Broadcast TV fee, Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee, Regional Sports Network fee, Rental fee, and more. Check your specific Xfinity package, and be aware that many rates are negotiable.

State Coverage

While Xfinity is available in 39 states, some of its competitors are available in all 50. These variables can be a disadvantage and a reason that customers search for other internet service providers for their needs.

The Bottom Line

If you're looking at a few different internet service providers, it can be frustrating to figure out what type of package you can get in your area and how much you'll have to pay. Xfinity requires a contract, has data limits, and isn't available in all 50 states.

However, customers who choose Xfinity Internet will enjoy a host of benefits and features like Norton Antivirus software, access to hotspots across the country, and a money-back guarantee. We recommend checking out Xfinity's services to see if they are a good fit for you.

Be sure you understand the terms of your internet service agreement and whether there are additional fees, like an installation fee or surcharges for a modem and router.

3.2

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

One of the best things about this company when it comes to home usage is the ability to use a purchased modem instead of the Xfinity modem provided with the service. Comcast allows users to purchase their modems directly, either through the company or from other sources. They will provide you with the parameters needed to successfully integrate the new equipment on an existing system. This was an important feature for me with home internet services. It allows you to save a considerable amount of money over time because you don't have to "rent" the modem from Comcast. If you add up the monthly charge for the "rental" unit and the number of years you have internet service, you will only pay for usage and no added expenses. When it comes to saving a little money, Comcast allowed me to make that choice.

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

Have had Xfinity internet for quite some time now and it has been GREAT! fast downloads, seamless streaming, and quick load gaming. Great value as well with discounts for paperless billing and autopayments!

Susan K Finksburg, MD

Comcast Xfinity Internet is our provider and has been for 15 years. The service meets our needs. We only watch streaming content providers so we're able to save a lot of money versus subscribing to cable TV. Service is great. Outages are infrequent and are fixed quickly.

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I have lived in several large cities which have all been served by cable monopiles. When I moved to Portland I was reluctant to use Xfinity because of stories I had heard from others over the years about their substandard customer service. I have now used them for three years and have found them to be a solid provider with good customer service. They have been prompt and timely for repair appointments. They offer a wide range of services and I have the TV/phone/internet package plus some premium channels. They include Peacock for free. My only complaint is that they are expensive and always seem to have an annual increase which is par for the industry.

William McNeel

I have the comcast business 250gb plan at my office in West Point Ms. rarely have problems with it. The only trouble I can say I have had was getting it installed ! They had to run a new line to my building in which they took about 3 weeks to do and it was installed to low so the garbage truck knocked out my internet for another week. Since having it installed again I’ve had no issues

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

We have had Comcast xfinity internet for years and it never fails when it comes to being reliable. We have a high speed internet package that allows an unlimited number of devices to be connected without slowing down the speed. Xfinity offers multiple packages, with the opportunity to bundle with a television package as well. We have never had any problems with the speed of our service. Thanks xfinity for never letting us down!

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I used to have service with Comcast Xfinity when I lived in Seattle. I would rate them as pretty good. Although the service did go down occasionally, it wasn’t often, and it was weather related. The quality of service was good. My only complaint about them would be the cost. Internet service providers are allowed to compete with each other in the same neighborhoods in Seattle, and Comcast did not seem too interested in retaining existing customers. When I threatened to move to CenturyLink, they didn’t care. I gave them multiple opportunities to keep me as a customer by negotiating for the monthly service rate, but they couldn’t be bothered. They only got serious when I hung up and threatened to leave. And even then they blew it. Their service is pretty decent, but the customer retention methods are totally clueless.

Steven Whites West Valley City, UT

I love that Comcast has high speed internet and that it works majority of the time. Every once in a while it will go out and you have to wait for their repair technicians to repair a line or replace some cabling down the street. The speed of their internet is fast and reliable. Here and there expect for it to go down, but when it does you can call them and get a phone call or text to tell you when it comes back up. Plus they usually will reimburse you a small amount credit back to your account when it goes out, BUT you have to call them and make them aware that you know. We use 10 devices hooked up to their internet at home and they all work pretty fast at the same time. I would definitely recommend them for internet. It may be a bit pricier, but it is worth it.

Greg Malmberg Jordan, MN

I found 5g home internet. $50/mo no contract. Speeds are INCREDIBLE! up to 400Mbs. Currently have Xfinity with cable TV. Speeds advertised is up to 275Mbs. Best I get on average is 60mbs. They charge $170/mo for this. They advertised a 50mbs plan for $19.99 per month, but since I am a good longstanding customer of 18 years, they said they could only do $64/mo at best. I am cutting cutting cord. 5g is going to kill these cable companies and their monopoly. Best part about the 5g service I have is that it is portable! Ahahahahaha. Good luck dragging the cable cord with you. See ya Xfinity, and I wouldn't want to be ya!

Carla Lewis Walled Lake, MI

The speed was adequate for non-streaming, but the consistency of signal/service was frustrating. I had a number of service calls to deal concerns that seemed to 'follow' me as I moved 3 different times all in the same delivery area. I have since moved out of their service area.

Jason Walker LaFayette, GA

I'm an Xfinity internet customer in Georgia. My service is excellent and outages are very rare. Speed is generally terrific. Where Comcast / Xfinity fails is virtually any time you need to interact with them personally. Customer service remains remarkably poor and if not for the quality of service in this area I'd drop Comcast like a hot rock. Every time I deal with Comcast it makes me angry, so I cannot leave anything greater than a 3 star review despite the service itself working fine.

Valerie Reed Clementon, NJ

Comcast/Xfinity's products and customer service are great. However, customers are billed and must pay for service one month in advance. And if not paid, they will disconnect service for a bill that's technically not even due yet. This should be illegal.

Victoria Walker Chesapeake, VA

I have had Xfinity for several years. I was first impressed with their workmanship; my equipment didn't work due to older lines, and they set up a time to come and replace those at no cost to me. Customer service is great as well, no long telephone waits and the ability to troubleshoot many issues from home yourself!

Jessica Dry New Market, MD

We've had a triple bundle with Xfinity for over 13 years and everything has been great. We recently decided to move our 5 cell phone lines from Verizon to Xfinity and are now saving $100 per month. Switching however has been challenging. We spent over 7 hours in the store across 3 visits to get things sorted out. Remaining issues are: my husband and I are unable to set up our Samsung S9 phones with voicemail. So, when we don't answer, the carrier tells the caller that our lines are not in service. I've called and called and it remains a problem. One of our sons opted for the free Samsung when he switched. It died 6 hours later and Xfinity said we have to sort it out with Samsung. Totally subpar device. Samsung had me take it to a certified technician who told me it had a faulty screen but that they can't get any to replace it. So! We are stuck with this non-working phone for 2 years. To me, Xfinity should have taken the phone back. This review would have been 4 or 5 stars if they had.

Cc Chesterfield, VA

I have been with them for around 12 years and have been very happy. I appreciate that you can save $5 a month by choosing your own modem if you want to. The service is great! I have the cheapest plan and the internet works great! The price is affordable.

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

Xfinity has gotten remarkably better in my 15 years of being a customer. The new interfaces are great, and the online support is excellent. Overall the company does a great job conveying outages and issues in the rare instances where something is down.

M.L.G. San Francisco, CA

I am a recent Xfinity customer. To be honest, I didn't realize it is just Comcast at first. That was a red flag for sure. I needed high-speed internet for work when we began working from home. Xfinity, was the only company that could provide it. I had to sign a contract for a year, in order to get a reduced price. It's still, expensive though. If, I owned a TV I could get their free streaming movies. Which, would make it a better deal without cable. The fact that it doesn't offer an included streaming service online makes no sense in this day and age. The service is not as fast as it should be consistently. The connection also drops frequently. When it works well. It works well. Which, is more often than not. The company's automated attendant can be a real pain, and has made it so I avoid calling for as long as I can.

Jmarsh Macomb, MI

I have been a Comcast Xfinity Internet customer for over 5 years. Sometimes the rates are high for overage charges and I feel like this could be improved or the customer notified, especially during pandemic times of extra internet usage; however, the service has been steady so my complaints are limited.

Stephen Thompson

Was a customer of Xfinity for 15 years in 2 different locations. Had their bundled package for about 5 years. The service technician that installed our wiring in the second home was a train wreck - wanted to run the wires on the outside of the sheetrock in our totally finished basement. I had to get a little nasty with him , and then he finally "found " a way to fish the wires through the wall. He was new and lazy. Like most internet providers, you are bombarded with sales calls (trying to upsell). On a positive note, when I've needed to go into the local office , the staff is always very helpful and responsive.

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

Overall, I been pleased with the friendliness of customer service. In store the customer service representatives have been professional and knowledgeable. The online service has some glitches in that it takes far too long to get through the automated system to finally talk to a person. When I was able to get through, the problem was solved. I have found the internet to be reliable.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

Overall Xfinity has provided what we pay for: fast internet with very few outages. There was difficulty a few months ago when our service was interrupted either for short spurts or several hours. The reason was not given proactively, however, when I saw a service tech outside of our house one day, I asked and was told, as I suspected, due to the large number of new homes being built across the street, it was due to laying new infrastructure.

Samarra Miller Fort Lauderdale, FL

Internet Comcast so far it's been pretty good there are 4 of us in the household and everyone can be on a device at the same time without it slowing down . And the best part I like is I can turn the internet off on the kids devices when I need too I love it .

Juanita Morrison Columbus, OH

I was an Xfinity customer while living in Georgia. My son is a gamer and we always had a strong signal without lag. The upload and download speeds were sufficient for my web browsing needs while he was online. If they expanded their market to Ohio, I would definitely become a customer!

Bryant Ho Bothell, WA

The company is a liar, they told me my premium monthly service should be a lifetime the price never changes. Now in December 2021, they raise the price. So are Comcast Xfinity customers please check your statement they have raised the price on you too.

4vampee Chicago, IL

It is okay. However, we have unlimited but it isn’t actually unlimited and our monthly bill is always very high. I don’t understand why they state unlimited when there is a cap.

Maurice Thompson Snellville, GA

I am 100% fed up with Xfinity because every couple of weeks they have an outage in my area. There have been 4 outages in about 8 - 10 weeks. The outages last from 3 - 5 hours. During one of the outages, the Xfinity website and their automated Xfinity Mobile Assistant both said that there was no outage in my area but the outage map on the same page showed that there indeed WAS an outage in my area. I truly regret having them as my ISP.

Austin Tempe, AZ

I was not the person paying this bill in a rental I lived in CO. However, I will say that I never ran into any connection issues while using this service. Maybe it was the area, maybe the owner reset the router without me knowing, but great internet service.

Allison Ager Tallahassee, FL

Comcast/Xfinity is simply frustrating. There are not a lot of choices where I live, so i'm stuck with them. Internet drops frequently for no apparent reason....taking about 10 minutes for everything to reboot. Prices soar after your contract period ends...then you spend 50 minutes on the phone trying to find a 'package' that's more resonable. Speed is good, customer service is lacking.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

Comcast... well the internet quality is top notch except when there is an outage of course. Credit given where credit due. However, their customer service is probably the worst in the industry but everyone knows that. The 9th level of hell is being on phone with Comcast while waiting at the DMV. Can't tell you how many times I've had a credit promised then not delivered. Here's the trick, if you don't catch it right away and you call back they'll tell you "Oh, sorry it is too late to issue that credit." Even though they can see the notes, the promise, and failure to deliver. It was told it was the customers responsibility to ensure they are doing their job. Paraphrasing here but that was the jist of it.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Comcast came a long way from that horrible company everyone used to complain about. They have turned things around and provide up front prices and good customer service. I am only using their Internet and so far I am happy.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

The internet is good. Maybe a bit pricey. I like the online assistance as I am not likely to call and talk to customer service. You are likely to be in for a 90 minute call and a good chance of not solving your problem.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

Comcast has great performance when it works, but you are SOL if there’s issues with your service. My internet went down once a week for 4 straight weeks, and no customer service rep could tell me why. After going down intermittently for the next 6 months without any reason why, if this was going to be a continuing issue, I called threatening to leave and they just let me leave. It’s a good connection, but the availability and service are not where they need to be for a professional.

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

Right now I am a bit disappointed in Xfinity. I have internet only for the past ten months and pay $107.00 a month for this single service. My family and coworkers told me I was paying too much and should change my place. I don't even have cable. I called Xfinity and was told I was in luck as they were having a special where I could have the same service for only $50. Per month, under half of what I have been paying. I asked the rep why my bill was so high all this time. He said it was because when I signed up I did so on a special then as well. I was getting a 50 percent break on my bill. So that meant internet service during the middle of the pandemic had to be approximately $220. For internet alone. I feel this rep was not being truthful or Xfinity ought to be ashame of themselves.

DW Rochester, MI

Comcast will invoice you for a $100 set up fee, regardless of whether there was an outside issue with wiring -- which they claim would not be a customer charge. So watch your first invoice from them: They will bill you anyway. Comcast will also bill you a full month when you stop service, unless you give them a full 5 to 7 days notice. They will stop your service, but charge you those extra days, even though all they have to do is flip a switch. If you've been a loyal customer, Comcast will not give you any deals. In fact, one time, I quit their service, after calling the "Loyalty" dept, to see if they would lower the price based on my intent to leave. (All my friends said they would give you a deal if you are on your way out. They did not.) On the positive side, Comcast allowed me to exit an alarm contract when I was laid off work for two years; so for that, I was thankful, and came back to them when I was working again. From what I understand, Comcast has the best internet in my area (for reliability) compared to two competitors. For TV, I had it a few times, but it's expensive, so I stopped.

Elder Terdkin Green Cove Springs, FL

They might have had a bad rep in the past, even with me but they are way faster and far more stable then my older internet provider and they have made it easy to get setup with faster speeds as needed, rent movies and add 3rd party services like Disney+ and even when internet is down due to repairs, they seem alot easier to get ahold of and figure this information out then they were just 5 years ago.

Connor Smith Port Saint Lucie, FL

The internet is fast does not lag. The price is reasonable with other internet providers. Use can use a lot of devices at one time.

Deanna Perthuis Houston, TX

We have been clients for over 15 years. They are easy to work with and awesome about updating us on any new packages or offered that we qualify for !

Nonya Biz

This company is a complete joke and has the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with in my life. Hour long wait times and they connect you to people in Philippines that know nothing about routers or IP addresses or how to even login to fix your issue. Then they promise to call you can with a higher level of tech support within an hour and never call you back.

Gozie N Marietta, GA

I have my payments on autopay and in October switched to a different card for my payments (in my review card A to card B). I have the basic internet plan that is $20/month after a $10 discount for automatic payments. On Oct 1, they charged me $20 on card A. On Oct 12, they charged me $60 on card B. On Nov 12, they charged me $92.26 on card A. On Dec 5, they charged me $65.43 on card B. For Oct, Nov and Dec, I should have paid a total of $60 for services ($20 for each month). They have charged me four times on two different cards for a total of $237.69, meaning they STOLE $177.69 within 2 months. Between Oct and Dec, I have spent almost 5 hours on the phone to resolve these issues, each time with no help. The last call they told me they would submit a ticket to their finance department but I have heard nothing. Terrible customer service, terrible business, and terrible experience for a service that consistently goes in and out.

Shana Oberg Albuquerque, NM

They lock you onto a contract and force you to accept automatic withdrawals from your account. When you cancel your account after your contact is up, they will continue to bill you and withdraw from your account. DO NOT return your equipment in person at a physical location because they will say it was never returned and bill you $120. And do not worry, their overseas customer service personnel will say they reversed the charges then continue to take money out of your account. THEY ARE ThE WORST COMPANy I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. If you have other options for service, I recommend using any company but Xfinity./Comcast.

Trinadair Castro San Jose, CA

Spent hours on the phone and still don't have internet. I was supposed to get connected on the 1st tech left a hole in my wall uncapped and a drill in my yard along with drywall on the floor. I've been told that people were coming out on 2 different occasions for them not to show up or call. Worst experience, trying to get settled in my new address and was on the phone for 4:45 minutes this morning and over and hour the night before for me to still be in the same spot as before. So frustrated!!!!

MrsT Macomb, MI

Comcast overall is a good service; however, I need to pay close attention to my billing statements and miscellaneous charges. I withdrew from autopay to monitor these occurrences.

Lyn Okemos, MI

They have provided internet and tv service for me for over 10 years. Aside from the high price, they have been very reliable. New customers receive very good incentives. They would do well to reward long term customers.

Audrey vargas San Jose, CA

The products are top of the line, but you will pay a lot of money for it. Every year they will slowly raise your rates until you call them and try to make a deal. They also told me I had unlimited data and when my family moved in during covid, I found I did not have unlimited data.

letsgogreen12 Macomb, MI

Comcast is my go to for an all inclusive package for cable and internet at my weekend cabin. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years. I have no complaints.

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

I had Comcast when I lived in the Midwest and it always had issues with connectivity because of the weather. When it was working it’s good for the money and has good speeds.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I have had Comcast xfinity for my TV, phone and internet for a couple years and at first it was a great deal, but as with all of these companies once your contract is up your price doubles and no specials to keep existing customers plus customer service is next to impossible to reach and speak to a human. You have to commit to an entire day of being on hold or being g transferred and no two operators will ever offer you the same price package as the previous one. Seems like you would want to keep your customers.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

We've had pretty good luck with Comcast as long as it's working properly. The customer service is tough if you have to call in.. But our internet has worked pretty flawlessly for the last 3 years.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

They get 4 stars because they have drastically improved in terms of customer service and product speed/value. Installation was a snap however they do give static over having your own modem.

Mike D Hyattsville, MD

This service is good overall. There are occasional problems and customer service can be slow, but they do eventually solve the problems and provide credit for extended outages.