Best Company Guarantee NewSmile Logo

NewSmile

8.1

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2021

Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $84 paid over 12 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Ashley B Wethersfield, CT

It took forever to get updates on the status of my trays once I paid and sent everything in, but once I called and inquired, everything got moving quickly, updates started coming in regularly and they even followed up a BUNCH of times once they shipped to make sure I was happy. I was a little nervous to pay in full at first but I am now 2 months into my treatment and I am seeing smile improvements and good results already. I do think they could throw in the cost of aligner leaner when you spend quite a bit for the product.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Ashley! We do want to apologize if you weren't able to receive updates sooner. We also would like to thank you for leaving a review. We are so glad that you are happy with the treatment. You can always check our available tray spray on our website. Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions.

Sep. 13th, 2021

Christopher Cedar Creek, TX

In the beginning there was pain but I have gotten sed to is and the only thing that bothers me is the extra bit of plastic on the back of the front teeth. You could shave it off bit is does hurt. Customer support has been pretty consistent about reaching pout about my products.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Christopher! We are so glad to hear that you are happy with the customer support. It is usually normal to feel discomfort on the first set of your aligners as your teeth are still adjusting. You can file the extra plastic to help them fit, no worries! Please feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Aug. 30th, 2021

Keandrah Hanna Regina, SK

So far, my experience has been great. I received my impression kit and had an amazing online session with Angel to get my impressions right the first time! She was seriously the sweetest and most helpful person! I was initially very attracted to the price point of NewSmile, it being far cheaper than any other companies I’ve seen. I admit, I was a little skeptical because it was so much cheaper - that being said, it so far seems worth it! When I receive my preview, I’ll know for sure. So far so good!

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Keandrah! We are so happy to hear about your experience with us. Thank you so much for sharing it. We are always happy to assist. Please feel free to email us if you have any questions.

Sep. 13th, 2021

Sandra

It took a long time to receive the aligner but that was the only thing I didn’t like. Customer support was good. If I emailed or called, there was someone there to help me. The product is good. There is no pain and I am comfortable with it.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and writing a review. We really appreciate it! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. :)

Gabrielle

On my third set of aligners and so far they work like they are supposed to. None of them have broken or been uncomfortable. When I get responses from the company, they are very helpful but there have been a couple of times where we went or so without an answer.

Reply from NewSmile

We are so pleased to hear that you are happy with the aligners. Our goal is to make the process easier for customers like you! We are sorry for the delays, we will make sure to answer all your questions via email, send them over at [email protected]

May. 28th, 2021

It is good quality. There has been problems with the wait time being almost double what they told me. Getting in touch with customer service doesn’t take too long, they respond within two days to emails.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate your feedback! Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions

May. 27th, 2021

Samuel

Could be faster but overall I would still say it is good. As soon as I complained that I didn’t receive my product, they were quick to send me expedited delivery. It seems like it is working fine.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience. We really appreciate it.

Tammy Rome, GA

It was an ok experience. My jaw is small so I used the small, blue trays. Unfortunately there are no instructions how to decrease the putty mix so I used it all. It was too much in the tray and when I pressed down, globs of it were pushed out the back towards my throat. I couldn't breath (breathing thru my nose) so I used my fingers to move it on the outside of the tray. I was afraid that this would mess up the impressions but Sam felt the impressions came out ok. Regardless of how the impression session went, I am SO looking forward to being deemed a candidate for the aligners and So looking forward to having my bottom teeth straightened!!!

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Tammy. We really appreciate you sharing your experience. Please do feel free to email us if you have any concerns. Thank you!

Apr. 27th, 2021

Emiline

Like that it is New Smile is based in Canada and it is affordable. I’ve asked a lot of questions and all the answers have been timely.

Reply from NewSmile

We are always happy to assist! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We really appreciate it. :)

Marge Barrhaven, ON

Great so far. Angel was great leading me through the impression process … top impression tray was too small so, waiting for larger tray, I will request her help when I receive my tray for top impression.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Marge! We are so happy to hear that you are pleased with your experience with the impression process. We hope that your larger tray will arrive soon. Please do email us so we can assist you in booking an appointment. Have a great day!

Jul. 9th, 2021

Mallory Forward

Very responsive and informative staff. It is a very long process to actually receive your aligners. I had to have a different impression kit shipped to me because the first trays weren't the right size.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate your feedback, Mallory! We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. Please send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or clarifications!

Jun. 2nd, 2021

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

NewSmile has the second-most affordable treatment kit on the market. They also run decent sales, too. To make things even better, NewSmile’s affordable price tag packs a lot of value: the kit includes your impression kit, all of your aligners, whitening, and one bottle of whitening. NewSmile offers both daytime and nighttime treatment. Even better: they offer both types for the same price. Other companies charge extra for nighttime treatment.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for leaving a review! We really appreciate your time. Please feel free to reach out any time if you have any questions. :)

May. 27th, 2021

Lucia

The foaming stuff is good for whitening and the aligners appear to be well made. The night guard good be better suited.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate your feedback! Thank you so much for sharing it. :)

Trina

I like that they responded quickly when there was some confusion with the file and tried to be as helpful as possible.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Thank you! :)

May. 24th, 2021

eric madsen Radcliff, KY

So far everything has been great. The customer service is excellent. Just waiting to see how the process works with developing my set. Hopefully it all works out and no additional delays. I also didn’t know that NewSmile had took over Smilelove. Looking forward to the next step.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Eric! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We really appreciate it. Just contact us if you have any questions. :)

Feb. 16th, 2021

Cathie Saskatoon, SK

I like the pricing and payment options that NewSmile offers. The only negative so far is the advance requirements you need (like dentist approval, X-rays, etc), but don’t know until after the impression session. Trish was amazing in the impression session, very knowledgeable and she was good at communicating.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time for us. :)

Feb. 10th, 2021

Michelle O Petawawa, ON

Very happy after working with the smile consultant trish. She was concise, friendly and knowledgeable. Just gave the company a 4/5 rating because it took 3 weeks to book the consultant time and it took a few weeks to get the impression kit in the mail. Would have given a 5/5 if it was a quicker process.

Reply from NewSmile

We really do appreciate your feedback and we are working towards giving you a much better experience. Thank you so much for your time!

Jan. 29th, 2021

Shahi Teruko Scarborough, ON

So far it's been good. Today I had a videochat with one of the NewSmile specialists and she helped me make my impressions. It would have been successful except I need larger trays to fit my mouth. Gem was very pleasant to work with today! :)

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We really appreciate it. :)

Jan. 25th, 2021

Wendy

Every time I contact the company, they get right back to me. I like that it is local to Canada.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Wendy! We really appreciate it. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. :)

Abigail Mbesa Dallas, GA

I had already did my impressions before the session. I got a email from Sarah so I acted on it did my impressions tied mess up the first two but hope the other set will do.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you sharing your experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Mar. 18th, 2021

Lydia Van Ottawa, ON

So far so good, customer service is great! Just wish that the process of getting started didn’t take so long, I paid a month and a half ago, and just did impression, now it will be another 2 months before I can start!!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and leaving your feedback. Rest assured that we will use this for the betterment of our service. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Mar. 4th, 2021

Janine Hutchison ,

Excellent customer service and responsiveness! But the process to receive the actual aligners is quite long compared to other providers.

Reply from NewSmile

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. Thank you so much! We are always doing our best to give you a great experience. :)

Feb. 23rd, 2021

Nathan Zeng Montreal, QC

The impression part doing at home is a bit challenging, but the customer service was very good.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Nathan! Thank you so much for leaving your feedback. We really appreciate it. Just message us any time if you have any questions. :)

Apr. 7th, 2021

Lindseyschmidt Saskatoon, SK

Good experience, helpful customer service, and quick delivery of the impression kits.

Reply from NewSmile

We are always happy to help you! Thank you so much for this review. :)

Jan. 15th, 2021

Guljit Saint-Lambert, QC

Very helpful and patient agents. I had questions answered well

Reply from NewSmile

We are always here to help! Thank you so much for the review. :)

Jan. 15th, 2021

Phaya P Saint-Pascal, QC

G was very patient with me. Thank you!!!

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you also for your feedback! We are always here to help. :)

Jan. 18th, 2021