NewSmile

7.6

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021

Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

Video Customer Reviews

Alexandra Pegues Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Alexandra Pegues

Caroline Barnes Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Caroline Barnes

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $84 paid over 12 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

Message from
NewSmile

NewSmile is helping those that want straighter teeth and a better smile for a 75% LESS cost than braces, without walk-in clinic appointments.

Our innovative technology and services look to transform the lives of many people in remote areas who would desire straighter teeth at an affordable price — in North America and abroad.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

Svitlana Skrypnyk

Took much longer to deliver than estimated dates. Once I recieved the aligners they did not fit me properly. I reached out to NewSmile and they just kept telling me to use my cheque and send pictures of how the next aligner set fit. I have been using the aligners for the last 2 months, on set 4 now and the aligners still don't properly sit on my teeth. My front tooth touch not touch the bottom of the aligners - it is very noticeable to me and to those around me that the aligner do not fit properly. Yet NewSmile has not advised me on anything but to keep using my chewy and sending pictures of the next set.

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Svitlana. We are sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced. Yes, we will need photos and videos to further investigate the issue. We noticed that you were not able to reply to our email a month ago, please do reach out to us at [email protected]

Jun. 8th, 2021

Victoria

The product took way too long for it come in. I thought I would speak to dentist or orthodontist about the procedure. Also they drop off all the aligner at once, so how are you suppose to know if it going right. My dentist said how important your bite is, so potentially you can mess up your bite and have a bigger problem, which I would not of thought of. I wouldn't recommend this product if you are doing major teeth adjustment.

Reply from NewSmile

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Victoria. This is not the experience that we would like you to have. We treat mild to moderate cases and our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. We would love to look into your order and check what happened. Please send us an email at [email protected]!

Jun. 17th, 2021

New Smile has come through but there has been a bunch of trouble getting it done. I have to wait for someone to call me back when I get in touch with customer service. They need better customer service people.

Reply from NewSmile

Thank you for your feedback! While our business hours on the phone are from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm PST Mondays through Saturdays, you may reach us out via email at [email protected] We will make sure to get back to you within 24 hours. Please let us know if you have any questions or clarifications!

Reviewer1 Ottawa, ON

I like that the aligners do not dig into my gums, but the customer service is pretty awful. When I first signed up, they were good, but when I reach the end of my treatment and did not like the results (I ended up with 3 different gaps which where not shown in the preview they send), they kept stalling me for around 6 MONTHS before I got any real answers. I complied when they asked for pictures and videos of my teeth and retainers, and sent them in a timely manner, but they kept stalling. They either did not respond for two week periods (I had to send them follow up emails to get them to reply), or they kept saying that the dentist still needs to look at the pictures and videos. I had to post online my negative experience before any real action started to happen... and even then they still wanted to charge me full price after making me wait 6 months. Eventually, they applied a $50 discount (and sent a free impression kit and whitener, and deducted the price of the spare retainer I bought)... I had also purchased a spare retainer before I finished my treatment since that's what they recommend (in case the first one gets lost or damaged), and when I got to the end of my treatment, it didn't even fit!! I'm currently in the process of getting my "refinement" aligners made and sent to me. The person I had a video call with for my impression session was very good though. She was friendly, patient, and seemed knowledgeable.

Reply from NewSmile

We sincerely apologize for the experience that you had. We ensure to provide the best customer service and this feedback is a big help. We would love to look into your order and check what happened. Please send us your order number at [email protected] to further investigate.

Jun. 18th, 2021

B

Very disorganized and poor communication. They didn’t answer their phone or email for the first three months. It is also uncomfortable.

Reply from NewSmile

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience that we would like you to have. Please email us and we will look up your order number. We will DM you as soon as we can.

May. 26th, 2021

Malti

I have waited months to get my product. Customer service is great, they are available but I would like it if they sent me emails to update me.

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Malti! Thank you for your feedback. We will continue working on our email updates for our customers as we are currently short-staffed due to the pandemic. Please send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or clarifications!

LI YU Toronto, ON

I ordered the impressions kit in Feb. Now I am told to redo the impression 2 times. I begin to pay the monthly fee two months ago. Now I am waiting for my impression kit to redo again. Each time they tell me that they will ensure it works. But I am told to do it again. I think that it wastes time. They could provide other solutions other than redo. I am deeply unhappy with the impression experience. I don't know when my impression kit will be great and when I can receive my aligners. It's too exhausting.

Reply from NewSmile

Sorry for the inconvenience. We have to make sure that your Impressions are good before we fabricate the aligners. We do not want to send ill-fitting aligners as these are customized, we will base it on the impressions that you sent. Please send us an email and we will see what other options we have, we are always here to help!

Apr. 22nd, 2021

I made the purchase in December and I haven’t received the product. The process is slow and not clear.

Reply from NewSmile

Oh no! This is not the experience that we would like you to have. Our goal is to send your custom-made aligners as soon as possible. We would love to look into your order and check what is happening. Please send us an email at [email protected]!

Jill

Started the process mid February. Now we are 3 months in and I still have no liners.

Reply from NewSmile

Oh no! We would love for you to receive the aligners as soon as possible to make your smile better. Please send us an email at [email protected] and we are more than happy to check your order!

May. 21st, 2021

Sallyann Wood Provo, UT

I thought the impression session went well, but it has been 2 months since I sent them in and I haven’t heard from anyone. I’d like to receive my retainers.

May. 10th, 2021

Peter Spence , ON

Putty & impression moulds arrived loose in a small envelope. No return address or postage paid box. I would recommend the competition as they send things in a box with free return shipping.

Hilary Radford

It's a very long process to do the impressions and get the liners

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Hilary! Thanks for your feedback. These are custom-made aligners that we carefully designed to straighten your smile. The faster we receive your impression, the faster you should receive your aligners. Do you still have an active account with us? Pleas send us an email at [email protected] and we are more than happy to assist you!

May. 21st, 2021