NewSmile

7.6

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021

Based in Canada with an office in the United States, NewSmile is an invisible braces provider that corrects patients’ smiles through clear, plastic teeth aligners as an alternative to traditional braces. Invisible braces are an affordable, low hassle, less noticeable alternative to metal braces as an orthodontic treatment . NewSmile offers both an upfront cost and a monthly payment plan. All treatments also come with premium whitening foam for a complete smile makeover. The NewSmile aligner treatment is completed at home without any appointments with an orthodontist, though the entire process is supervised by orthodontists and dentists remotely. Treatments are available in Canada, the United States, and Hong Kong.

Patients can use HSA and FSA to cover the cost of the treatment in the form of reimbursements. Patients will have to check their policy to see if cosmetic dentistry or beauty and health are covered in their plan. If so, NewSmile can provide a detailed receipt that can be sent to the insurance company with a claim.

Go directly to NewSmile reviews

Video Customer Reviews

Alexandra Pegues Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Alexandra Pegues

Caroline Barnes Customer Review Video About NewSmile

Caroline Barnes

The Good

• Average Treatment Time
  • Impression Specialists
  • Risk-Free Impression Kit
  • Low Upfront Cost
  • Free Set of Retainers
  • Smile Guarantee

Average Treatment Time

NewSmile’s average treatment time is 4–6 months. Though some treatments may take shorter and some may take up to a year, the average time is about on par with other invisible aligner companies. This average treatment time isn’t the shortest, but it’s on the average to quicker side in the industry.

As with other types of dental treatment, each case is individual and largely depends on how well the patient wears their NewSmile aligners. It’s recommended to wear the clear aligners at least 22 hours a day and only take them out for eating and drinking beverages other than water. Doing this will give the quickest treatment time possible. Additionally, patients should brush their teeth before putting their aligners back in to keep them clean and aid in overall dental health.

NewSmile also offers Night Aligners which, if worn for 10 continuous hours at night, average an 8-10 month treatment time.

Impression Specialists

Many customers complain that the impression kits used to create initial impressions of a patient’s teeth are difficult to use. NewSmile has patients schedule a video call with an impression specialist when they use the impression kit to help patients and make sure they’re using the kit correctly.

The impression kit consists of putty, two trays, and a smile stretcher. Patients need to mix up the putty and put it into the trays evenly to ensure a good impression. Using the smile stretcher can feel awkward, but shouldn’t be painful. Having a video call with a specialist can help make sure all steps required are done properly and that the impressions are precise.

Risk-Free Impression Kit

NewSmile offers a risk free impression kit, meaning that anyone can try the impression kit and will get a full refund if they’re not a good candidate for a NewSmile treatment. Invisible braces can treat mild to moderate crowding or spacing as well as many different types of bite issues.

NewSmile offers a smile assessment on its website to also help customers determine if they’re a good fit for an invisible braces treatment. The assessment asks about a person’s teeth and bite, and asks for a photo of their teeth clenched together. Sending this assessment in can help customers determine if they should go forward with treatment or not. If still unsure, starting with the impression kit doesn’t hurt.

Many people can qualify for NewSmile’s clear aligner treatment. People with dental implants or missing teeth can also qualify. When talking with the impression specialist, customers should mention where their implant is or which tooth is missing. Customers will also have to remove any permanent retainers and discuss any dental bonding with their impression specialist.

Low Upfront Cost

For customers who want to pay the lowest price, the upfront cost is the way to go. The only downfall is that it has to be paid all at once. The upfront cost $1,195, which is one of the lowest upfront costs in the industry.  The entire cost includes an impression kit, treatment preview, all plastic aligners, a set of retainers, and whitening foam. NewSmile also offers periodic discounts on its website if customers share their email address.

If the upfront cost doesn’t work with a customer’s budget, NewSmile also offers a low monthly price of $84 paid with no interest over 12  months with a $295 deposit. This monthly payment is around the average monthly payment in the invisible braces industry, but most companies have contracts of 24 months instead of 12 months with NewSmile. The total cost with this method is $1,295, which is also one of the lowest costs in the industry.

Free Set of Retainers

After finishing the last set of invisible aligners, NewSmile provides a free set of retainers. These retainers are to be worn every night in order to prevent teeth from moving back to where they were. Many companies charge extra for a retainer after treatment, so having a set included in the overall low cost is a great benefit.

Smile Guarantee

In addition to a free set of retainers, NewSmile will also send additional aligners if customers aren't happy with their new smile. At the beginning of every treatment, customers will receive a preview of what their smile will look like after treatment. If a patient finds that their smile doesn't look like what their preview showed it would, NewSmile will work with them to fix it. As long as a patient followed their treatment instructions and wore the aligners correctly, NewSmile will send additional aligners at no cost to help each customer attain a beautiful smile.

The Bad

Down Payment Required

NewSmile's low monthly cost of $84 paid over 12 months is one of the lowest in the industry. Unfortunately customers can't have that price unless they pay a $295 deposit. Other invisible braces companies have lower deposit prices, but it's also important to note that NewSmile's monthly payment is extremely cheap in comparison to those same companies.

The Bottom Line

NewSmile offers one of the least expensive invisible braces treatments in the industry. The monthly cost is extremely inexpensive, though customers do have to pay a relatively high down payment price in order to get the monthly payment option. The company’s average treatment time is around the standard for the industry, but NewSmile also offers a set of retainers for free after a customer completes the treatment plan, which is a great value.

The company also has a video call system with impression specialists that can help potential customers correctly complete their impression kits. Customers can also contact the company if their new smile doesn't match their preview and they can receive additional aligners at no cost to attain their perfect smile. In the end, if you’re looking for straighter teeth, NewSmile seems like it could be a good fit for you.

Message from
NewSmile

NewSmile is helping those that want straighter teeth and a better smile for a 75% LESS cost than braces, without walk-in clinic appointments.

Our innovative technology and services look to transform the lives of many people in remote areas who would desire straighter teeth at an affordable price — in North America and abroad.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

sab's notes Toronto, ON

I paid for my treatment in November 2019. I got my treatment in November 2020. Then I did not get the result as projected in the treatment plan. They asked me to pay extra $400 instead of providing me the treatment until I got the result that I wanted. I made payment of $400 for refinement aligners immediately back in May 2021 so that I could get this done asap. They promised to send me new aligners in June 2021. Now it is the second week of July 2021, I still have not received anything from them. You see it is such as a waste of money and time. Customer service was nice in the early process. After that, customer service could not solve customers’ problems in a timely manner when they received money from customers. If you cannot deliver, do not promise.

Reply from NewSmile

Thanks for your comment and we're sorry to hear that we were unable to provide your refinement aligners in the desired time. As it turns out, part of the delay was due to the limited information we had. We saw that you had originally from Smilelove, and we had limited information to assist with your case. We try hard to give a good experience, and please let us know if there's anything else we can help with going forward.

Oct. 19th, 2021

Amanda

I have been paying for it literally forever and I still don’t have it. I never got the product. I got my 3D scan in January and it is now May and I don’t have any anything. They say it is my fault.

Reply from NewSmile

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience that we would like you to have. Please email us and we will look up your order number. We will DM you as soon as we can.

May. 26th, 2021

Katla

It's a scam. They take your money and never get back to you. Everything has been pushed back. They should focus more on communicating with their clients. It has been five months and I have not received it yet.

May. 26th, 2021

Fatemeh

I was told I'll have full support through out my process, but I'm on my #6 alligners and they do not fit well. I'm in lots of pain and it's just back and forth emails. I can't even talk to their dentist. So disappointing.

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Fatemeh! Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry of what you have experienced. In most cases, pain or discomfort will occur when the aligners are first fitted and when aligner trays are changed, about every two weeks. For most, discomfort is minor and will subside within a few days, while others may feel discomfort throughout treatment. We are always here to help, please send us an email at [email protected] and one of our specialists will arrange a call for you.

May. 21st, 2021

Roberta Hall

I have paid for these liners since Dec 2020 and every couple of weeks I get a new email saying the aligners are 4-5 weeks away. I am VERY unstatisfied!!

Reply from NewSmile

Hello Roberta. We are sorry for the delays and miscommunication. Your aligners are almost done and we are just waiting for them to be shipped out. We will keep you posted once they're ready. Please send us an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or clarifications!

Jun. 8th, 2021

Marianne Sherbrooke, QC

The delay between each step has been extremely long and my case, which was a little bit more complicated than other normal cases, has been handled by multiple employees, which did not communicate well together. I had to repeat myself a lot, which made the process even longer. I made my initial payment in June 2020 and still haven’t received feedback on the photos I sent. I asked for a refund which was refused due to the policy. The last employee I have been in contact with was a lot more helpful and things have been a lot more efficient since she is the only one im charge of my case. If I knew this was going to be this long, I would have paid more and I would have gone with an orthodontist for invisalign.

Reply from NewSmile

This is not the experience we want you to have as a valued customer. We sincerely apologize for all the delay. It might be a result of our promos and sale so shipping pickup and deliveries were delayed, and sometimes lost. We are sorry for the deliveries, and it was an unprecedented and unique 2020 year with many challenges. We are already checking on this matter and rest assured that it will be a better experience moving forward. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help with.

Jan. 18th, 2021

oubah youssouf Listowel, ON

Before I purchased the impressions I was told there should not be an issue with my permanent retainer and during the one on one I asked again and she said there shouldn’t be an issue when I took the first impression my retainer broke off then when I asked if my teeth should move by the time I receive my trays what would happen I was advised that I will have to repurchase I asked to speak to a dentist and I was advised via email a dentist will contact me and to provide the best time I can be reached at when I provided the times I never got a response and then I sent a follow up email and no answer I am beyond frustrated this is ridiculous I wasted my money and my time i am unhappy withthe experience

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Oubah! We are sorry with what happened. Yes, permanent retainer should be removed first before taking the impressions, this way we can get the perfect mold of your teeth. We tried reaching out to you via phone call and email. We will try calling you again by tomorrow on the time that you provided and we are hoping that this will be sorted out. Take care for now!

Apr. 28th, 2021

Don't do it Niverville, MB

My experience started with having to wait 3 weeks for an appointment, and then getting no showed twice. New smile refunded me $50 for the inconvenience and rescheduled my appointment(worked out to about $8 per hour of my time spent dealing with this) I then discovered I require larger trays. I am currently waiting for them to ship so I can start the process again. These excessive wait times are ridiculous and I wish I never gave them my money.

Reply from NewSmile

We’re sorry for providing the wrong tray, and apologize that there may be slower shipping times with Canada Post and other couriers. We look forward to getting your aligners to you and helping you get a new smile once we receive your impressions back.

Jan. 29th, 2021

Jayden

We have not received our product yet we ordered it back in January

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Jayden! We are sorry for the delays. We would love to check the status of your order. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will follow up your order!

May. 21st, 2021

Jan Gray Dartmouth, NS

They sent an outdated return package label

Reply from NewSmile

Hi Jan! This has been sorted out, we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Apr. 2nd, 2021