1. MetLife Defender ID Protection
As of February 2016, MetLife Defender is no longer accepting new enrollments. The information contained in this review is a reflection of the company's offerings when it was still accepting new customers and may be inaccurate or out of date.

MetLife, Inc., also known as Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, was founded in 1869. Since then, the company has grown to become a global provider of insurance and other financial services. MetLife offers free identity protection services to its home and auto policyholders.

#1 NortonLifeLock chevron_right
3.9
#2 Complete ID chevron_right
3.8
#3 IdentityIQ chevron_right

The Good

• Family Plans
  • Recovery Services
  • No Cost for Existing Customers

Family Plans

MetLife allows individuals to add family members onto their identity protection plans at no extra cost.

Recovery Services

MetLife Identity offers a number of identity recovery services. In the event of identity theft, the company will provide the victim with one year of free credit monitoring and reports from all three major bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). Additionally, MetLife helps with medical and criminal identity theft recovery and offers limited power of attorney.

No Cost for Existing Customers

MetLife's identity protection services are free for its existing home and auto insurance policyholders.

The Bad

• Lack of Prevention Services
  • Limited Availability

Lack of Prevention Services

MetLife's identity theft prevention services are not very extensive. While the company does offer legal protection, it does not offer credit monitoring (previous to an identity theft event), social security monitoring, bank account monitoring, or internet scanning.

Limited Availability

Not all products and services offered by MetLife are available in all states. The company's identity protection services are currently unavailable in New Hampshire and North Carolina.

The Bottom Line

MetLife offers family identity protection plans and recovery services at no extra cost to its existing home and auto customers. However, the company's prevention services are limited and identity protection is not available in all states.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

3.4

Jessica

August 27th, 2015 Las Cruces, NM

Don't ever sign up for this!!! I left my job and now I cant cancel and get out of it! They just keep sending me in phone number circles and now im getting bills!

Steve O

February 28th, 2015 Mars, PA

Met life Defender is awesome the child protection feature alone is worth the money

Karen Galicci

February 20th, 2015 Brooklyn, NY

I have been a Defender member for a few months now and have been very pleased. They found that my name was being traded in the Sony breach, then resolved it. I wouldn't have known otherwise. My only negative is that I tried to refer a friend and they couldn't find the link on MetLife.com which made me wonder why. I called the customer service and they were professional but stated that they weren't sure where it was being marketed. Otherwise, I would have given it a 10!

dont trackme

October 11th, 2014 Wexford, PA

This product is isnt what I expected. Not sure if they really do anything but inflate numbers. #houseoversight

Watcher

October 9th, 2014 Pittsburgh, PA

This product is filled with lies. #ftc #ladmd

Casey Porter

October 4th, 2014 Sewickley, PA

I was surprised to see such a low score from the review when MetLife is the only company that addresses Medical ID theft. I just read an article yesterday that said medical information is 10 times as valuable as financial. I think that MetLife did it right since they understand the medical and insurance world much better than the others.

Angela

September 20th, 2014 Sewickley, PA

As a mother, I have found nothing even close to MetLife Defender! I used to use LifeLock, which is good, but wanted to protect my daughters online as well. Defender was the only one to do both. Within the first week of subscribing, I received an alert about my some bullying posts to her FB andTwitter account. I would have never known. It was a life saver.

d thomas

July 16th, 2014 Detroit, MI

its the only company on the market that "proactively" scans the internet looking for your info. Thus it finds the problem before the problem actually happens. Its proactive...not just reactive like all of the other products online.