LifeLock

verified
LifeLock Logo

LifeLock

verified
Get 10% off + 30 Days Free. Terms Apply.

Founded in 2005 and headquartered in Arizona, LifeLock offers identity theft protection services that include public records monitoring, financial account monitoring, and credit monitoring. LifeLock services more than 4.4 million members and provides identity theft protection to individuals, families, and businesses. According to LifeLock's website, "data breach criminals" often have the abilities to commit identity theft long after a breach occurs. LifeLock will send fraud alerts to customers of any potentially suspicious activity and will help address identity theft victim problems. Using the promo code "BestCom," Best Company visitors can get 10% off a LifeLock protection plan. Terms apply.

View Best Identity Theft Protection Companies

The Good

• Identity Theft Protection
  • Recovery Services
  • Million Dollar™ Protection Package
  • 24/7 Live Member Support
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Pricing
  • Mobile App

Identity Theft Protection

LifeLock provides several identity theft protection services in an effort to catch identity theft and identity fraud before it happens. LifeLock customers will receive credit monitoring services from all three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), internet scanning, court records monitoring, social security number monitoring, and financial account monitoring. Identity theft can ruin everything from credit scores and credit reports to taxes and savings accounts. LifeLock offers multiple identity theft protection services to help provide each customer with the protection and security they are looking for.

Recovery Services

In the event that a customer becomes a victim of identity theft, LifeLock offers a number of recovery services to help restore the customer's identity to pre-theft status. The company provides limited power of attorney/time with restoration specialists and lost wallet protection. LifeLock also assists with financial, medical, criminal, and tax identity recovery. For a fee of $300, LifeLock will also work with customers with pre-existing identity theft conditions.

Million Dollar™ Protection Package*

LifeLock offers up to $1 million in its million dollar protection package, which covers up to $2,000 in replacement of lost or stolen documents, up to $2,500 in traveling expenses, up to $6,000 in lost wages, up to $6,000 in elderly and child care, up to $10,000 in fraudulent withdrawals, and up to $1 million in legal services in the event of identity theft.

24/7 Live Member Support

LifeLock provides reliable customer service by giving customers access to 24/7 live member support agents. The company will notify customers (via alerts) of potentially fraudulent activity and will help customers determine how to handle the situation. LifeLock will monitor customers' information around-the-clock so customers can rest with a peace of mind. LifeLock's website also provides a list of helpful identity theft protection advice and educational resources (regarding credit reports, credit score monitoring, social security cards, credit freezes, and personally identifiable information) for customers to access at any time.

Money-Back Guarantee

The identity theft protection company offers a 60-day complete money-back guarantee to annual LifeLock account members that request a refund within the appropriated 60 days post-billing. Meanwhile, some other companies in the identity theft protection industry do not offer a complete money-back guarantee with their services. LifeLock's pro-rated refund promise emphasizes the company's confidence as well as its service guarantee.

Pricing

LifeLock offers three identity theft protection options to choose from: the LifeLock Standard plan that costs $9.99 a month, the LifeLock Advantage plan that costs members $19.99 a month, and the LifeLock Ultimate Plus plan that costs $29.99 per month. Best Company visitors can use the promo code "BestCom," to get 10% off of all LifeLock identity theft protection options. Terms apply. These options include social security number and credit alerts. Within the industry, LifeLock's plans are priced at lower rates and allow customers the flexibility to choose how much they want to invest in identity protection services and security.

Mobile App

Customers are able to get the LifeLock mobile app that allows them to receive and respond to alerts while on-the-go and easily obtain customer service help through the in-app member services feature.  With the LifeLock mobile app, customers can access their credit scores from all three credit bureaus. According to the LifeLock website, the mobile app also includes "dark web activity detection, fictitious identity monitoring, court records scanning, and investment account activity alerts." Overall, the mobile app is an extra feature that helps protect customers from identity theft and identity fraud.

The Bad

No Antivirus Software

In contrast to many other identity theft protection companies, LifeLock does not provide customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their personal computers from identity thieves. Identity thieves often target personal computer systems which means that LifeLock customers will need to pay personal out-of-pocket expenses for additional identity theft protection in regard to antivirus software. Other companies in the identity theft protection industry offer antivirus software within their standard plan/package to save customers personal expense and to provide further identity protection.

The Bottom Line

LifeLock offers extensive protection services as well as identity restoration services including lost wallet protection to those who have fallen victim of identity theft or fraud. Additionally, the company offers a Million Dollar™ Protection Package and 24/7 live member support customer service. The company's Million Dollar™ Protection Package covers lost or stolen documents, wages, and more. LifeLock also provides educational resources, a money-back guarantee, a detailed mobile app, and reasonable pricing in comparison to other protection services.

LifeLock offers three identity theft protection options that can include credit, social security, bank account, credit card, and crimes/other fraud alerts as well as credit report and credit score monitoring and updates from all three major credit bureaus, etc. The one major downside of the company is that it does not seem to provide antivirus software which limits some LifeLock account members from additional identity protection as they would have to pay out-of-pocket expenses to get antivirus software. Above all, if you are looking for a reliable company to help protect your identity and personal information, LifeLock is a great company to choose.

*Coverage for lawyers and experts, up to $1 million for all plans, if needed. Benefits provided by Master Policy issued by United Specialty Insurance Company, Inc. (State National Insurance Company, Inc. for NY State members). Policy terms, conditions and exclusions at LifeLock.com/legal.

View Best Identity Theft Protection Companies

David Weaver
August 5th, 2015

this is the greatest credit protection program I can recommend. Best ever.

Charlotte Etgen
August 5th, 2015

A week ago our RBC Visa Card number was compromised at places we would never go to or grocery bills we would never charge. Who overlooks your statements for your customers? We never heard a word from you other than to say we had no problems??? Neither of us lost our cards, the numbers were somehow taken and new cards made and used with our numbers on them! Visa contacted us - NOT YOU!

Linda Shepard
August 5th, 2015

Our experience with Lifelock has been good as of is date. Fortunately we have not had the necessity to use many of the services yet but we are trusting that Lifelock with take care of any problem that arises, although we hope that that will not be necessary.

Mike the um
August 5th, 2015

Transactions made that exceeded my limits with no notifications, when I contacted Lifelock the agent realized that there was a connection error with one of my banks. Lifelock didn't pick it up or notified me there was a problem, I wondered why I didn't get the coverage and feel a lapse like this compromises my protection. Oversite should be better at Lifelocks end.

Wanda Sue Rich
August 5th, 2015

I appreciate so very much the prompt response to my purchase made at Lowes. I would highly recommend your service to all my friends and acquaintances. Thank you so very much!

Drachir2000
August 5th, 2015

I have had LifeLock for about 6 months, they have caught most attempts to gain access to my credit save one... Someone tried using Paypal to get credit under my name, Transunion caught that one, Lifelock missed it. never got an alert or so much as a peep. Transunion was the hero that day.

vicap
August 5th, 2015

I'm beginning to feel I'm wasting my money on Lifelock. The website is anything but helpful. Boilerplate "you're OK" notices. One time someone ripped off my Verizon account but went unnoticed until I caught it.

Charley Renfro
August 5th, 2015

I have been nothing but annoyed since using LifeLock. No service works like I expected, and I keep getting emails stating that they can no longer connect with my bank. Upon following there instructions to reconnect with my bank I continually get an "Internal Error" - LifeLock's, no my bank. Calling their customer service is also annoying. Their technical knowledge of the product is definitely lacking. What they do best is to recite from the boiler plate scripts they've been given. I'm definitely no happy!!!

Target379
August 4th, 2015

I purchase life lock ultimate only after I had a problem. Someone had filed federal taxes under my social security number and gotten a refund. So when I went to file electronically I was told I could not get my refund. I quickly signed up for life lock. This is the best decision I have ever made and money very well spent.

mjmathews
August 3rd, 2015

In June of 2103 my idenity was compromised. I did not know the how help full Life Lock was until this happened. They totally took care of everything. I have peace of mind every day because they are on the job to protect me and you.

Joann
July 30th, 2015

A couple of years ago, we had notice from the IRS that our refund was being withheld because certain information had not been submitted with the return. We had not even filed our return yet. We were identity thefted, specifically I was identity thefted - and with the IRS of all places! I immediately was referred to LifeLock by our accountant. Signed up and have been protected ever since. LifeLock intercepted two different account frauds attempting to open accounts in my name at either end of the US - one in Florida and one in California a few months later. They got on a conference call with me and the bank involved, cleared up the problems and my name was removed from the ficitious accounts. Now whenever I apply for a credit card or loan, almost instantly I get a notification from LifeLock saying to verify that it was me. I love LifeLock!

John
July 29th, 2015

I was a victum of idenity theft in 2011. Lift lock did not discover this and I was informed by the IRS two months ago.

John
July 29th, 2015

I've heard so much about Lifelock, and know that id theft protection is absolutely necessary. For both my wife and I, the cost came to about 54$/mo. That was a bit high. When I called to cancel, they explained that I only needed the highest level on one and could put the base level on the other. It would have been nice, and more honest, had they explained it when I signed up. I went ahead and signed up that way, then with the discount they gave me, my monthly would be approximately two or three dollars more than I was paying just for one. That afternoon I checked my bank account and see that LifeLock had charged my account. Since I had already paid for the month, I did not understand. When I called, it took a while for them to figure it out. Ultimately they had changed my billing date, and charged me the new amount. I cancelled LifeLock. I hired them to keep people from accessing my account without my permission, not so they can do it themselves. And, this is exactly what they did. I did not authorize them to change my billing date, nor did they inform me that they would be doing that. Because of outages, I took me 24 hours, approximately to get back in touch with them, which stressed me out. If they had explained what they were doing, I would have told them that I wouldn't be okay with the change of billing dates. Ultimately they lost my business.

Robert d Peyton
July 28th, 2015

LifeLock has always been on top of someone trying to rip me off, it has been tried 4-5 times in the few years and Life lock has always caught it.

Mustanggtlover
July 27th, 2015

I am very happy with the Lifelock services, I have had no issues with my credit due to their help! I would rcommend this service to anyone! This really protects you ID and credit! Nobody can steal you Identity! I will stay with LifeLock forever!

Trisha
July 22nd, 2015

The Standard Plan provided my family and I with basically no protection so I upgraded to the Advantage Plan. Then, I was made aware of another company and how much protection they offer for a whole lot less money. When I contacted LifeLock to discuss their competitor, they basically told me they did not care if I canceled.

Kate
July 22nd, 2015

This company is great! My mom has been telling me forever to get this service as she has used it for years. After the recent OPM security breach I realized how important it was to have coverage. It was super easy to sign up, I was able to chat with a representative almost immediately after clicking the "chat" button. He guided me and asked all the right questions. I have never felt so secure as I do now. Let someone try to take my info - LifeLock has my back!

J Burnette
July 14th, 2015

I have been pleased with LL, however, I found out that my SSN was used to file a fraudulent tax return with IRS. Now my refund is on hold for six months pending an investigation. Not pleased!!

Larry taylor
July 10th, 2015

They do not do the recovery ,they assist you

mary stenger
July 8th, 2015

great service and friendly people. stayed on the line with me and gave me all the help I needed. keep up the good work and service.

dorothybwood
July 7th, 2015

One afternoon I opened a checking account at a local Wells Fargo bank. By the time I got home I received a telephone call to make certain that I had made that transaction. I was impressed !

Dennis
July 7th, 2015

With all of the news of breaches of data from commercial establishments and even government records, I worry. Then I get a message from LifeLock telling me that they have news for me. The news is that there has been no fraudulent activity with any of my data! That is so reassuring!

Terry Tressler
July 2nd, 2015

I recently was notified by the IRS that someone indeed tried to file for a refund using my wife and my names. I notified you about this and received an email reply. When trying to discuss this with you I was put on hold and then disconnected. I don't think you are able to protect us from such an identiy breach.

Rich
June 29th, 2015

Thought I knew how it would work; found out its range of service limited. They however helped me research a company that had approached me; after contacting Lifelock; they investigated the company and gave me good advice in the matter that stopped their proceedings. To date, they have not bothered me. Thanks; I now sleep better not having this hanging over me; with Lifelock showing me their power and flexibility it proved to be spot on. Will maintain the service.

Ionela
June 29th, 2015

I had my information stolen from my computer and I decided to call life lock and I got the protection, I had the middle one, not to much not to less. I told them that my name, social security , address ,birthday and pictures were stolen, after almost 2 months off being protected by them I open 2 bank accounts and bought a car and applied for 4 different jobs, life lock didn't send me any alerts at all, they just took my $29 a month for 2 months without doing anything for me, I told my mom she should get it to, she did and today she bought a jeep for $21k no one contacted her about this loan. We both cancel service with life lock, is just waist of money. I didn't feel protracted at all

Derek Viana
June 26th, 2015

Life lock has been very good at notifiying me of alerts and credit reports and my personal id being used so far trust worthy and on top of things thank you for a safe year!

Mike Jeffries
June 25th, 2015

An account that has been protected since inception suddenly can't be protected and it will take 3 to 5 business days to make it available again. I had an investment account in my protected accounts since I opened my account. I received a notice that there was a connection error. I went to the investment account and was able to login with the same credentials supplied to LifeLock. I went back to LifeLock and noticed that the URL to login didn't match my login - not sure how that changed as I have had the same login for the investment account - that hasn't changed. I called and was informed that it would take 3 to 5 business days to add the account and that the customer rep was unable to contact the IT department directly - so now my investment account that was protected is no longer protected because "we are only able to submit a ticket". Not what I expect from a company that markets itself as such a protector of your financial well being. I understand protocols however it doesn't seem customer oriented to have to wait a week to get something fixed that appears to be a LifeLock issue.

JHH
June 24th, 2015

When I entered my employee benefit enrollment, I used my email. When my spouse later entered his own details into Lifelock's systems, he entered HIS email. I just got an alert addressed to him -- that's disappointing. Is he getting them? Membership started 4/1 and this is my third correction. :-(

Arlene Paxson
June 23rd, 2015

I am very happy with LifeLock and have recommended it to several people.

Forde
June 23rd, 2015

I will recommend anyone to have this extra protection that enhance your personal credit cards. The benefits are awesome.

Mike Roberts
June 23rd, 2015

Lifelock has immediately notified me when there was a problem and keeps me informed if anyone make an attempt to use my identity information. They worked very fast to stop fraudulent activity as fast as possible and protected me from disaster. I am pleased with the services provided and the quick response. Thanks again Lifelock.

Billie McCarty
June 23rd, 2015

Failed to catch identity theft when used my debit card at Targets and then again when it happened at Home Depot. The theft at Home Depot was unbelievable. Accessed my bank account and in less than 24 hrs had spent thousands but you sent me a "good new" email saying that all was well. Really?

judith hodgkins
June 15th, 2015

Too notch A++++++++

Jeannette Mansfield
June 4th, 2015

At a gas station I had dropped my credit card after using it at the pump. I had several other errands to run that day. Within an hour I got a call from Life Lock telling me that they had frozen that card because the usage on it seemed out of character for me. At this time I didn't even know I had dropped my card! But yes, someone had tried to use it at several liquor stores in a downtown area-which was quite uncharacterist for me! Good call Life Lock!

anne partington
June 4th, 2015

I very much appreciate your contacting me to say everything is OK!!! It's a great relief to know that!!! Great service and great company!!

Bill Wells
June 4th, 2015

Lifelock is a total waste of money. Someone got into our account and stole $900 from it. When we discovered the theft we called Lifelock and they told us it was not their problem, and to take care of it ourselves. We did, and we cancelled our account with Lifelock.

redrocket52
June 4th, 2015

Lifelock is the best thing going for protecting you against identity theft. A couple of years back when I sold my home and moved evidently some of my information got away from me and someone tried to purchase a cell phone setting up an account in my name. Lifelock caught it immediately, notified me and stopped the criminal in his tracks. The only wish was that the criminal was prosecuted and thrown in jail where they belonged.

Dennis Poller
June 4th, 2015

Today (04/23/2015) I received a "Monthly Security Update" for the first time in at least 9 months. In over a year, I have received direct Lifelock communications on various issues perhaps 6 to 8 times. My wife, also a "Plus" member, has had slightly more communication, but at irregular intervals. A typical bothersome occurrence was my receipt of an important alert that was directed to my wife, but sent to my e-mail address. She was never directly informed of the issue. Over the years,I have addressed these problems many times with Lifelock, always being told that systems were being improved and that the representatives were in agreement that there was a problem. My last two encounters occurred several months ago with Supervisors/Escalation Representatives who assured me they would review the entire process we were being subjected to and would get back to me. One of these representatives even suggested a specific time frame for his response. I have heard nothing from these gentlemen, or from anyone else, regarding our unsolved issues for many months. As a long-time executive at an effective major corporation, I am at a loss to explain the seeming ineptitude of an organization like Lifelock. I would have thought that you had systems and procedures in place to provide adequate feedback on legitimate customer issues. Dennis Poller

Mark
June 4th, 2015

I was recently a victim of identity theft with Lifelock ultimate fully in place (and billed monthly). My taxes were filed "for me" by a thief who pocketed a large refund both federal and state. When I called Lifelock, I was told "we don't cover tax fraud". Really?! You guys advertise like mad around tax time, motivating people that tax fraud is on the rise and they should be protected. That being said, I have not been contacted by any lifelike representative since I reported my problems.

Justin
June 4th, 2015

They are good about alerting you of credit issues and registered sex offenders in your area. I have been very satisfied with there service. However Billing ins a nightmare. It is Automated and only automated. There is no way for you to pay your bill if the card you have on file with them is declined payment for some reason. I tried calling customer service to pay and also tried logging in to pay through my account on there website. It only allows automated payments. in the mean time they call several times a day saying that they are going to cancel my protection yet they are unable to take payment. What kind of crap is that!!! And the customer service rep hung up on me when I called and was trying to pay my bill. No very happy about this.

marie Paul
May 29th, 2015

I have been very satisfied with the quick response and services rendered on the phone , plus alerting me of any fraudulent activity. Thanks Life Lock Marie

Dom
May 29th, 2015

I signed up for the ultimate plus service. After logging in and starting to input my information, I was asked for information on my spouse. Since we share all accounts, I entered her information. Nothing was ever stated that entering her information would double the cost of the service!!!!!!! Months later I happened to stumble onto this rip off. When I called, all I got was attitude. I was even told this was shown clearly in the receipt email I received after I signed up. After looking through my email, not finding anything, the account representative then informed me no receipt email was sent!!!!!!! The only service I received was a drain to my wallet from lifelock. I have terminated my account with Lifelock.

Barry
May 29th, 2015

Have received many alerts from LifeLock when ever they spotted any activity on my behalf.I was notified on my I-phone,I-pad and at home. When you think of all that's going on today with hackers, I sleep better knowing that LifeLock is always monitoring my personal data and everything else I have with them.THANK YOU LifeLock !!!

6av
May 29th, 2015

As a customer who is a Lifelock ultimate member, I expected quicker alerts. I would definitely give this a 5 star, but unfortunately when I am alerted, its usually 3 days or a week after I have made a transaction. The dates of the transactions do not match. For example I made a transaction on Friday the 10th. It should clearly show Friday 10th not the 17th. Its confusing to say the least. Or if there is suspicious activity of someone using my ss#, etc to try and open credit cards, the alert I am given should be on the same day....not days after the perp is attempting to succeed. I will hope that Lifelock will improve on its alert timing.

Briteness23
May 29th, 2015

I started off with another level of Life Lock. When I joined F.E.S., I was upgraded and the results have exceeded my expectations. Two attempts to steel my identity have been thwarted. I have seen my credit scored improving which has underlined my resolve to keep this service in place.

Michael
May 19th, 2015

This service is worthless. I got my first alert months after enrolling, when I had already received multiple alerts from Lifelock. When I attempted to call into the AVR, it requires that you enter your phone number. I entered it but the system never recognized it or understood it from the keypad. This is 2015 and this technology has been around for 30+ years. I logged onto the website, but the alerts were not visible from the site. The capper was when I called the service to ask about an alert, they did not verify my identity short of asking for the phone number associated with my account. Because of the rotten service and the lack of security, I decided to cancel. When I cancelled, the operator still didn't verify my identity. Don't walk, run away from this service. Lifelock has been fantastic and I highly recommend it.

Nancy
May 13th, 2015

A more than an average company they are very serious for what they do for you

Mary Billett
April 21st, 2015

I'm a little disappointed that only major credit cards are covered in the program. Although you have a form we can use to organize our department store cards, for quick action if they're stolen, this isn't much help if our wallet is stolen while we're out of town. Who's going to carry that form around. In the least you could keep the information in your system so we can call and expedite canceling cards, etc.

suzanne struble
April 21st, 2015

I've only had a little contact with the people at LifeLock but the few times I have, everything was very courteous, friendly and professional.

Jody Tozel
April 21st, 2015

We had fraud on my husband's social security number and your entire staff has been absolutely wonderful. I couldn.t have been more grateful or relieved. My husband is a worrier, and your staff completely put him at ease with their knowledge and concern about us and his breached social security number. I had an account prior to our marriage, then in 2013 when I renewed my account I opened one under Calvin's name as well. We are so glad that your representative advised me properly about the fact that the coverage under my name did not necessarily cover my husband, even thought our accounts were under both our names at that time. This incident probably would not have been covered and we would have had to deal with this issue alone. Thank you and continue the wonderful training you obviously have going. We have sung your praises over and over again to anyone and everyone... Respectfully, Jody & Calvin Tozel