LifeLock verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

7.3

Founded in 2005 and headquartered in Arizona, LifeLock offers identity protection services that include public records monitoring, financial account monitoring, and credit monitoring. Using the promo code "BestCom," Best Company visitors can get 10% off a LifeLock protection plan.

The Good

• Identity Protection
  • Recovery Services
  • Theft Insurance
  • 24/7 Support

Identity Protection

LifeLock provides several identity protection services in an effort to catch theft before it happens. LifeLock customers will receive credit monitoring from all three major bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), internet scanning, court records monitoring, social security number monitoring, and financial account monitoring.

Recovery Services

In the event that a customer falls victim to identity theft, LifeLock offers a number of recovery services to help restore the customer's identity to pre-theft status. The company provides limited power of attorney and lost wallet assistance, as well as assists with financial, medical, criminal, and tax identity recovery. For a fee of $300, LifeLock will also work with customers with preexisting identity theft conditions.

Theft Insurance

LifeLock offers up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, which covers up to $2,000 in replacement of documents, up to $2,500 in traveling expenses, up to $6,000 in lost wages, up to $6,000 in elderly and child care, up to $10,000 in fraudulent withdrawals, and up to $1 million in legal services in the event of identity theft.

24/7 Support

LifeLock customers have access to around-the-clock, US-based customer service representatives.

The Bad

No Antivirus Software

Unfortunately, LifeLock does not provide customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their personal computers.

The Bottom Line

LifeLock offers extensive identity protection and restoration services, in addition to up to $1 million in identity theft insurance and around-the-clock customer support. However, the company does not provide antivirus software.

November 15th, 2017 Columbia, SC DETAILS

You can make the experience better by posting this review for me and by making it so that I can login without use of social media. I had LifeLock for a very short time. Whether or not their services are effective, I cannot say, but use of my identity was rendered unto me alone before, while, and after giving them my business. I leave them one star because they sent me a letter through the post and in bold print was the phrase, "We miss you..." A company known to protect identities blatantly announces to anyone who happens to see your mail that your identity is not protected, therefore theirs for the compromising...? Bad form.

November 13th, 2017 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

I recently opened a home equity line of credit. Both Discover and Credit Karma sent alerts about a new account on my credit report. (Both services are free). Lifelock never sent an alert. I contacted LifeLock and ended up talking to someone overseas who read from a script. Every email I sent was met with boiler plate verbiage never addressing me personally. I finally cancelled the service as I lost trust that LifeLock has any ability to proactively protect their customers.

November 6th, 2017 Lima, OH DETAILS

I have used them and I get instant notifications when my SSN is used. I think the price is a little high though.

November 2nd, 2017 Jay, OK DETAILS

I called to give them another credit and the girl kept asking questions for verification. After several questions I explained I was just calling to give them another credit card. She was very rude so I just canceled.

November 2nd, 2017 Lake Worth, FL DETAILS

Absolutely horrific customer service! I had fraud on my bank account where someone started a bank account in my name at a different bank and made transfers, Lifelock took 2 months to even investigate and then said they could not help in any way. Not to mention customer service was rude and unconcerned. They also get paid by the credit bureaus so they really are not on the consumers side. Complete waist of time and money. Put a credit block on your credit reports which is free and way more effective

October 24th, 2017 Chantilly, VA DETAILS

So LifeLock is owned by Equifax and if you were one of the millions whos information was breached, I would NOT recommend them.

September 29th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

I didn't find LifeLock to be that useful and it was way more expensive for not much in the way of getting any useful help.

September 20th, 2017 Burbank, CA

I am a current paying customer of LifeLock. On 9/14 I purchased a new car, within minutes of the auto dealership and JP Morgan Chase made an inquiry to my credit, CREDIT KARMA notified me of the inquiry stating who was checking my credit. LifeLock, even though they claim to have your back and notify you of such inquiries did not and has not since that date. I attempted to contact LifeLock by phone, good luck! They claim they are too busy right now due to the Equifax breach, I tried every which phone option to speak with a live person and kept getting their inept computer robot, when I finally got to an option I could wait to speak with a live person, I was told it was a 55 minute wait. I sent them a memo through their website, they have not answered, I tweeted to them, they have not answered and I sent a message through Facebook, they have not answered. This company is profiteering from the Equifax breach, they are instilling false security and they are not available to their consumers. It's obvious that they have not brought on additional people to handle the volume of calls and are just operating business as usual. I have filed a complaint with the State of California Attorney General for fraudulent business practices and with the BBB and will continue to post everywhere I can to warn hardworking people to not waste their money or time as this company does not do what they claim to do. You cannot even just go onto their website and cancel your subscription, you have to send them a memo and they will get back to you. Its a sham and they are a fraud people, save your money and use a company that actually does what they claim to.

September 16th, 2017 Syracuse, NY

I joined Lifelock and on the site, there is a place to read your credit score. It says if your score does not show up in 24 hours to give them a call. It didn't and I did. I called at 5pm after work and after pushing through prompt after prompt was told to say my name clearly. They could not find my name, so I was put on hold. After 60 minutes (was told approximate wait time was 40) , I had to just call back another time; later at night this time and went throught the same thing, only this time I was told my approximate wait time was now 67 minutes. Couldn't do it. Throughout the week, the same scenario happened another 4 times until I FINALLY got someone...with a very think Indian accent I could hardly understand. All I got was fast talking and "um..." between every other word. Now on the site, it says "US based customer service"...yeah...okay. So after not being able to find me in the system, which was odd since they charged my card after all, he said he was going to pass me onto someone who could help. I got more prompts and was then told that my approximate wait time was 80 minutes. It was at this point that I said "forget it" and requested cancellation of my service. It wasn't worth the headache. They say the recent data breach with Equifax is the cause for such long hold times and I get that, but they should still have a team of people to deal with everyday membership issues so those of us who were not affected don't have to wait for almost 2 hours to get something done that takes less than 5 minutes. Really wanted to like this place, but I'm afraid it's a no.

September 14th, 2017 Rockvale, TN

Pulled up the Website and it came back that my service was canceled. Called Lifelock and was put on hold for an hour and 25 mins., I called them at 5:30 in the morning and still had a long wait time. I was not very happy, 1st of all that I was canceled and 2 nd of all the wait time to be on the phone with them. Then I was told I was only thru Norton that it was showing canceled, but yet I was in Lifelocks website.

September 11th, 2017 VA

Used to be an ok company but I continue to have issues with their website and their customer service has seriously gone down hill. I just received a response that basically said they had addressed my concerned when they obviously have not. It is just one problem after another and I will not trust such a company with such a critical service.

September 9th, 2017 Honolulu, HI

Ugh where do I start?? First of all, it took me seven separate calls / transfers at Lifelock to actually help me to finally open an account. How many staff members do you actually need to get an enrollment correct? I could not open an account on their website because "They could not verify my identity". Hm, normal, I changed my name, moved to several different locations within the last few years. Rep #1: I was on hold for about 30 minutes before someone answered. The rep had me spell out every single piece of personal information. Normal. Read me a ton of disclosures. She said she couldn't sign me up for the Ultimate Plus plan and could only sign me up for the Basic plan. But she could transfer me to Member services who would be able to upgrade my plan. Rep #2: So I got transferred, waited another 30 minutes on hold, and finally connected to someone. Member services told me they could not upgrade me to the Ultimate plan. They said they would delete my basic plan and start the process all over again. Read ALL of the disclosures again even though I said I already heard them and had me repeat ALL my personal information again. After all that, she still couldn't sign me up for the Ultimate plan because they couldn't "verify my identity". So we nixed the signup process. She said to call a credit bureau and confirm my information so next time I call Lifelock, I could give them the correct information. Note: All my information has been updated including my name on all government documents. Call #3: Credit bureau (not Equifax)- got to someone right away. The rep confirmed my new name, address, and phone number. Call #4: Called back Lifelock, waited 40 minutes this time for someone to take my call. Went through the enrollment process AGAIN. Yes all the *beep* disclosures (that could easily be read online, signed by me online, or sent to me after the call) were read to me AGAIN. I had to repeat ALL my information twice to the rep. Great fun. The rep said the same thing, sorry we can't sign you up for the Ultimate plan but we can sign you up for the basic. They went to confirm with their supervisor. "Oh the website is down now due to the large amount of users trying to enroll at the same time" she said. "Can you try again tomorrow morning?" Call #5: Next morning: Was on hold for 30 minutes again, the rep finally picked up, I said I had 5 minutes before my meeting started, I said I'm going to hang up. She said, "Its okay I can speed read the disclosures" She proceeded to read the disclosures extremely SLOW and took about 3 mins to do so. I gave her some of my information but had to go for my meeting and didn't have time for their shenanigans this time. Call #6: On hold for another 40 mins this time. Rep picked up and proceeded to go through the entire enrollment process again. Read ALL the *beep* disclosures (I hate them all now) and had me repeat my personal information twice AGAIN. She said she still couldn't sign me up for the Ultimate plan. She talked to the supervisor and said "Maybe we can trick the website and sign up your spouse as the primary and you as the secondary". So we did that. I gave all of the information and she said that now my spouse was the primary and I was the secondary on the account. But I wanted to be the primary, I didnt want my spouse to have to call in whenever I needed them to etc. I handle everything in the household. So she said she could transfer me to member services who could help me change the order of primary vs secondary on our account. Call #7: Transferred to member services (on hold for another 40 mins). Joe (the first coherent rep I spoke to throughout this whole process) said I didn't have an account setup for me. Just my spouse. OH WOW. NOT A SURPRISE. So the information from the rep on the previous call was ALL WRONG. She didn't sign me up for an account, just my spouse. Seriously?? So I went through the whole enrollment process again with Joe who actually helped me get a separate Basic plan (I am basically annoyed with everything and just settle for this plan already). He said I could cancel my spouse's plan if I didn't want it. BUT they needed my spouse to grant me third party access so I could cancel the account) And I didn't want a plan for my spouse (they didn't even want one after hearing about my issues with Lifelock) so I said I would call back with my spouse on the line later. Call #8 (Bonus call): I call back with my spouse on the line. Waited 30 minutes on hold, got hung up on, called back again, waited on hold for another 30 mins. I told the rep that my spouse was on the line this time and we needed to cancel the account. The rep needed to confirm a few qualifying questions and then I was given third party access to cancel. The rep said he couldn't find my billing information and needed to talk to the billing admin. Really?? I just gave all MY personal billing information to the rep yesterday to start the account, why did Lifelock not have it? Where did the information go? So I confirmed MY card that I used yesterday to start the account for my spouse. The rep still "couldn't find my information" but could "update the account" for me. WOW REALLY?? He then proceeded to ask me whether the full amount billed could be charged on my card and for me to respond with "Yes" or "No". I said "Well if there are no charges because I started this account yesterday then Yes" He said "I have to read the question again and you can only respond with Yes or No" At this point I am livid, the entire process was terrible. Finally got things taken care of and was happy to hang up, hoping never to talk to Lifelock again. In my opinion, the reps at Lifelock need training and they need to all be on the same page with procedures. Who ever manages this company really needs to learn how to operate an actual company. This type of situation would never fly with any company I see out there nowadays.

September 1st, 2017 Eugene, OR

Charging their service at $9.99 when advertised at $8.99 and we didn't sign up for their service !

August 8th, 2017 Clarksville, TN

I canceled my membership with LifeLock due to someone stole my identity. LifeLock handled my case like it was inapplicable. They informed me that its going to take three days for an investigator to call me. She opened an account and drivers license using my social and you want me to wait three days? During that time she can buy a car, open more accounts and take out a loan. No, Im not going to sit here and wait three days!!!!

August 2nd, 2017 Redding, CA

After the train-wreck election 2016 i asked lifelock 4 voter identity theft protection. & their answer was that they only protect 'consumers' from harmful impersonation wtF?

July 30th, 2017 Spokane, WA

My husband called to get information on their services did not give our card information and said he needed time to talk to me & think about purchasing through them. He unfortunately did give his personal information though. What do I find today? $118.79 charge from Lifelock. We try calling to find out how they could charge our account and they keep wanting to send us to an automated system, to which we do not have a passcode for. After a 15min phone call they claim they will reverse the charges they did not have authority to pull. If they don't, I will be reporting this to my bank as a fraudulent charge!

June 8th, 2017 Grants Pass, OR

Tried to enroll online @ lifelock.com. Saw no indication of how or where to enter the promo code without first signing up for full price. When I called the customer service line, 800-416-0599, the representative said she had no knowledge of the online enrollment process, but could sign me up over the phone, after having already spent 20 minutes navigating the website and entering my personal information, I had no desire to begin the process again, and told her so. She then offered to transfer my call to the sales department, which "might" be able to answer my questions about where to enter the promo code. After wasting another 5 minutes listening to an automated menu, I was told, by the robot, that they needed me to enter my account number to proceed. Since I evidently had none. I hung up and began looking for alternative providers, which hunt eventually led here. Have a nice day!

May 30th, 2017 Lovington, NM

They state they will notify you if a new line of credit is applied for. I applied for a auto loan and never did hear anything from lifelock. I called in and rep said not all companies were monitored. I ask him why they did not monitor Bank of America but he did not have an answer. It is not like Bank of America is a small company. Really wondering what I am paying for.

May 6th, 2017 San Antonio, TX

My wife and I have been with LifeLock since October 2007. I normally receive at least an annual account update which is a report of all credit card accounts and our overall credit status. I feel this is a great process as I would most likely forget to review these myself. Overall I feel that LifeLock is an excellent program that continues to do what I am paying them to do ! I must admit I am shocked that LifeLock does not cover our accounts with some form of antivirus protection , leaving our accounts open for all types of nefarious acts. This is quite disturbing to me as I had no idea or this exposure. .

May 5th, 2017 Pinckney, MI

I purchased the basic Lifelock plan, which customer service told me covers any new credit applications. Two weeks ago, I opened a new charge account. I have yet to receive an alert from Lifelock. When I just called customer service, they said that "not all companies participate" with them, so not all credit applications would result in an alert. A new American Express account with a $12,000 limit does not alert me??? The rep wanted to review all of my personal information again, which I assured her that I had just double checked online. They email almost every day with adds, and have my correct telephone number. This service may work beautifully for some people, but I consider this a big failure. I wonder now if I wasted almost $100, but guess I will decide what to do about it tomorrow.

November 26th, 2016 Whitmore Lake, MI

I called life lock, the person I talked to could have cared less...could not believe this was the person possibly trying to sell me on this plan....not sure what happened but I think she actually hung up on me.... I called another competitor .....

November 17th, 2016 Allentown, PA

They need to hire a GOOD technical support team that understand there network. I have had a problem with Lifelock for 6 months, they were never able to fix the problem. There response to my problem was cancel their service they can't help me. Unbelievable

October 28th, 2016 Morton Grove, IL

Having had problems with my identity theft, I chose LifeLock to assist me, in the future, if there would be more problems arising. I selected their middle program, and this month my subscription was up for renewal. Instead of renewing, i cancelled....There were 3 different instances where LifeLock should have notified me of someone looking into my credit situation. Applied for a loan, applied for a new credit card, and notified that someone fraudulently used my social security number to apply for a credit card with an approximate $4,900 plus balance. Never heard one word from Lifelock of goings on with my credit reports. Upon canceling their service, i received apologies....sorry, apologies for slipping thru the cracks did not do it

October 25th, 2016 Irving, TX

Member for 4 years. Had SSN stolen and no help or advice. Just learned that wife (also a member) had SSN stolen last year (discovered through credit check) and no alert or info from Lifelock. Called to ask and was given std info spiel on services and disclaimer. Cancelled account. No alerts, no agent, no advice, no help.

October 18th, 2016 Boise, ID

So far, so good! I have been a member of LifeLock for over 3 years. In that time they have sent me over a dozen different notifications regarding attempts on my identity. In each and every case, a resolution was made, keeping my credit safe. I have been very pleased with their performance on my behalf.

September 6th, 2016 Concord, NC

Get an alert to call them and there is never anyone to talk to. Been a member for years and will be cancelling. They are a JOKE!

September 5th, 2016 Albany, CA

When I was a victim of identity fraud/theft it was almost impossible for me to reach somebody who was supposed to be my "agent". And when I finally got a real person, due only to my demanding to speak to a person, she was hurried and rude and unhelpful. I honestly don't don't what I will do now.I agree with Jeff's description of their terrible customer service.

July 29th, 2016 Houston, TX

I had an issue with someone opening a fraudulent credit card in my name. I had LifeLock for over 6 years when this occurred. LifeLock sent an alert within a couple of hours of the credit inquiry. That is the good part. Other than sending me an alert about the credit inquiry, they really were no help with anything else. Their customer service is very inefficient and frustrating to deal with. They seem to be compartmentalized regarding their operation and no person I spoke with knew what the other was doing. When I called I always talked to a new person who had not reference for my issue, and I had to keep regurgitating the facts over and over again. LifeLock's 1 Million insurance will not cover any legal fees if you plan on bringing an action against the credit card company, who in my case was grossly negligent. I called the credit card company myself, but got the run around. I then contacted the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and made an online complaint through them. Believe it or not, I got an email from the executive office of the credit card company within 48 hours referencing my complaint with the CFPB, and after a week or so the credit card company acknowledged their mistake. IMHO, LifeLock's service is overpriced for what you get compared to other service providers.

July 22nd, 2016 North Augusta, SC

Life lock is hands down the best in the industry! I receive both email and text message alerts. I can honestly say I feel more secure knowing I am protected by this service. Someone tried obtaining a credit card with my stolen information, life lock immediately contacted me, giving me the information I needed to contact the proper authorities. I have told all my family and friends to use life lock, and will continue to do so! Thank you life lock you have given me peace of mind.

June 29th, 2016

The service costs too much to add children. Additionally, they don't support accounts with multi-factor authentication well. If your bank or credit card company uses multi-factor authentication (a username and password, and then a security question) you will have to babysit your LifeLock account on a regular basis (multiple times a week). They support a single question, however the next time that security question rotates to a different question, you will have to log in to LifeLock to change your answer again. Furthermore, they are usually slow to get alerts. They usually lag 24-48 hours behind any transaction made, sometimes longer. If you want to get an alert within hours or minutes of a transaction, look elsewhere.

June 17th, 2016

The customer service is HORRIBLE. I spoke with 3 different people at lifelock. None of them could answer questions I had intelligently. I was enrolling 3 members of our company due to a security breach. We had to hang up and call back for each one. By the time we got to the 3rd member we decided to go online and enroll. After enrolling him online we printed the receipt which contained ALL of his personal information. I have to turn this receipt into the Finance Dept. That just doesn't seem very secure to me from a company that prides itself on protecting your ID.

June 15th, 2016

Terrible service. When I watched their infomercials they show a group of people in a room and when they try to access their accounts, everyone with Lifelock got a text message within seconds of the attempt. In reality, whenever a questionable charge hit my accounts, it took Lifelock a MINIMUM of 24 hours to notify me. In some instances, especially on weekends or holidays, it would take up to 72 hours to notify me. A lot of damage can be done to your account in 24 to 72 hours. I lost confidence in this service quickly. Calls to LifeLock Customer Service were answered with comments like this slow service is normal. They didn't know what I was talking about when I cited their advertising. I did a better job myself by just checking my banking online daily. I would see things posted to it within minutes of charges being placed. Why it should take LifeLock days to notify me is unconscionable...and deceptive advertising in my opinion.

June 3rd, 2016 Apopka, FL

Had a problem and Lifelock did absolutely nothing except tell me how to fix on my own unless I wanted to hire outside help

May 19th, 2016

One of our credit card companies notified us of scams against us on two occasions. Both times, LifeLock must have been clueless, as they didn't contact us at all.

May 18th, 2016

My wife and I started with Lifelock in Feb 2015 after the reports of data breaches of multiple large companies/providers that had our personal information. I appreciate the monitoring and the levels I can set for notifications on bank withdrawals or transfers. The online interface is very friendly and easy to navigate. May of 2016, we received a phone call from LifeLock indicating a possible "fraudulant activity" through 2 service providers. Sure enough our personal information had been stolen and the thief was trying to open accounts through banks and cellular providers. Lifelock disputed these and resolved these in the course of 4 calendar days. Although it has been difficult to access a person for assistance on occasion, once we got a single point of contact to work with, our ease of access increased. They have been very prompt, responsive, and supportive, answering any questions and providing avenues and guidance to us on steps to take. I definitely am greatful for the protection investment I made prior to this happening. I would not have known otherwise until it was too late. In total, I have received over 15 letters from failed open accounts and successful disputes that Lifelock has assisted me in. I am sure they will keep rolling in. This is a service that I paid for that I can actually say has delivered on the promises that they make in their sales pitch. It has given me piece of mind.

May 18th, 2016

My CPA informed me that someone used my social security number fraudulently to obtain a tax refund. I immediately called LifeLock and reported it. The representative promised to email me some forms, but I never received any emails. I contacted them by email and received no answer. I have their most comprehensive plan, and expected at the very least, for them to do what they said they would do.

May 16th, 2016

I was really surprised at how quickly LifeLock contacted me about a request I made for credit with a retail store, that is when I realized that they are really on the ball. I was definitely impressed with this and I now know that I will continue using their services for the foreseeable future and I also highly recommend them for anyone who wants to feel secure from identity theft.

May 16th, 2016

This has been such a relief for me. Not having to think about this stuff has taken a lot of stress out of my life. I recommend it to others whenever I can. Well worth the money.

May 16th, 2016

I am happy with all their services and their customer service. I've had to call a couple of times to ask questions about their website, and/or how to navigate. Always friendly and knowledgeable help.

May 15th, 2016

Since my signing in, their reporting has been on schedule. A transaction overseas was picked up in minutes and notified. So far, the monitoring is excellent. Keep it up!