LegalShield ID Shield verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

6.0

Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Ada, Oklahoma, IDShield is a division of LegalShield and provides identity theft protection to millions of people. IDShield offers services to individuals and organizations across the country and is one of the nation's leading providers of legal safeguards.

The Good

• Individual and Family Plans
  • Monitoring Services
  • Recovery Services
  • Service Guarantee

Individual and Family Plans

LegalShield IDShield offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families. The Individual plan is priced at $9.95 per month and covers one person, while the Family plan is priced at $19.95 per month and covers one person, a spouse, and up to eight children.

Monitoring Services

In order to best protect customers' identities, LegalShield IDShield provides several monitoring services, including credit monitoring, internet monitoring, financial account monitoring, and social security number monitoring. If any suspicious activity is detected, LegalShield IDShield will issue a fraud alert to the customer. The company also has the ability to perform credit freezes.

Recovery Services

In addition to monitoring services, LegalShield IDShield also offers a number of identity restoration services to help customers in the event of theft. The company provides financial, medical, and criminal identity recovery, as well as limited power of attorney and lost wallet assistance.

Service Guarantee

LegalShield IDShield offers a $5 million service guarantee that acts as insurance by covering and reimbursing customers for expenses in the event of identity theft.

Learn more about IDShield

The Bad

Lack of Antivirus Software

Unfortunately, LegalShield IDShield does not provide customers with antivirus software to protect the sensitive data on their personal computers from hackers and viruses.

The Bottom Line

LegalShield IDShield offers both individual and family plans, several identity protection and recovery services, and a $5 million service guarantee. However, the company does not provide customers with antivirus software.

October 31st, 2017 West Palm Beach, FL DETAILS

I'm my opinion there's NO Better Coverge. Of shield is the ONLY Company that Ofers FULL Hassle Free Identity Restoration, (Which is the MAIN Reason to have Identity Theft Service's in the 1st Place...) Personally I want the Best Most Hassle Free Restoratiin Possible which ONLY IDShield Provides... And who cares if they don't offer Virus Protection.., That's why there's Norton & McAfee, Duh... Bottom line they have amazing social media monitoring, and a More Secure Password Protection Vault Software then any other Service on the Market. Also They Offer More Coverage for Less Money Then All Other's. Last But Not Least, Their Customer Service Has Always Been Amazing to me... When I was A Victim's of Identity Theft a few years back, I simply called them and they took care of everything, as well as guided me towards what I could do to prevent, similar, future Identity Theft issues.... Plus They Give a $5-Million Guarantee which is greater then any other company.

September 22nd, 2017 Louisville, KY

There are major flaws in their data system that they refuse to recognize. They may have been hacked or compromised. Beware! Here's what I wrote to them before I cancelled my membership. "I opened my account about a week and a half ago. I entered information, including 10 credit card numbers and one bank account number, that evening. I checked back again a few days later and found no bank account number and only 6 credit cards. The next time I tried to access the account it blocked my login completely. Tonight, the same login (memorized by Chrome) worked, but I found only one credit card number there. There is something very wrong with your system. Please have a representative call me and detail how you are going to investigate." Instead of calling me, they insisted that I call them. Their agent at Kroll Investigators told me that there was no problem--that I had only entered one credit card. I told him that I was there and he had no basis for his lie. Rather than forwarding me to the person I needed to speak to to cancel my membership, he hung up. Do not join this incompetent service.

September 15th, 2017

I love this service it saved my thousands of dollars

September 13th, 2017

I love IDShield. Best form of ID protection and restoration with their 40+ years of Risk Management Protection and Restoration specializing in all 5 major areas of identity theft

September 12th, 2017 Riverside, CA

Potential customers need to be aware that the 5 million is a service guarantee and not an insurance policy for out of packet losses such as lost wages or fraudulent bank account transfers. This is an important distinction and is why I cancelled the service. Other than this ID Shield provides a good product at a reasonable price.

August 15th, 2017

IdShield's monitoring services appear to be the best in the market. I receive alerts almost immediately upon starting a new credit card.

July 24th, 2017 Knightdale, NC

I have ID Shield and have no issues whatsoever. I receive alerts as they are discovered and I also have my phones monitored to determine potential fraud callers and that is just one of the benefits.

June 3rd, 2017

ID Shield licensed investigators do what they say they will do and more. They are very personable in addition to being very effective.

May 15th, 2017 Grand Junction, CO

They helped clean up my identity issue very quickly

May 11th, 2017

I've obtained an out-of-state mortgage where the lender got my credit score from all 3 credit bureaus. Nothing picked up by ID shield. Credit card company informed me that someone tried to use my card in 2 different foreign countries. Must have gotten my number from internet, but not picked up by ID Shield. When I reported these concerns they told me not to worry since their attorneys would take care of everything if my ID was stolen. They only monitor 1 out of 3 credit bureaus. Said these things may have been reported to other 2 and not reached Equifax yet. They couldn't explain how my lender got all 3 credit scores without having it show up on the 1 they monitor. Since they monitor only reports from 1 credit bureau, I figure they're only doing 1/3 of the job they should be doing. They also have my credit score listed much lower than what my mortgage broker told me they were. Their suggestion for all of this - monitor my own credit reports by getting annual reports from all 3 bureaus. ACCOUNT CANCELLED.

May 10th, 2017

This is a scam i agreed to $20 a month but received 2 emails saying that my card would be charged for $20 a month and another email saying i would also be charged $132 a month. So now I'm having to do damage control...ridiculous. I try to protect my family only to get conned and scammed by the company assigned to protect us.

April 18th, 2017 Bellevue, WA

I signed up for ID Shield and 5 days later I still haven't got an email saying I was a member. My identify got stolen 5 days ago and the email I received from ID Shield said my application was going to be processed in 1 business day. False advertisement and no service. I am on the phone right now and I am already on my 3rd customer service rep because the other two couldn't help me. This is wrong.

March 15th, 2017 Pompano Beach, FL

I have had this service for 7 years and I have peace of mind because of the alerts

January 31st, 2017 Parkville, MD

LegalShield and IDShield give me and my family total peace of mind as members. We love it.

December 6th, 2016

Contacted me when they felt my review was neccessary.My identity was comramised and fixed it PEACE OF MIND AND SECURITY GOOD TO HAVE

November 8th, 2016

What an amazing value to protect my entire family for portion of the Cost for anything else in the industry

October 1st, 2016 District Heights, MD

For what the service does, it's a Great service for the cost. Used it on so many occasions and loved the outcome. Will Highly recommend the company and the service any day of the week. Wouldn't find myself without this service. It simply amplifies my voice. Love it.!!!

September 30th, 2016 Morrisville, PA

Fraud Investigator answered all my questions about the Yahoo breach and gave me 3 great tips to help protect my information and review my email account for suspicious activity.

August 27th, 2016 Vallejo, CA

They are exceptional,, smart, know their products and go the extra mile to service you. Can get your credit score daily, only company that has licensed investigators, 5 million dollars guarantee, and what they monitor is so much more extensive , in depth, than you mentioned that their competitors do do the industry justice. In fact only about 25% of your information is correct, the rest is so outdated, you should really check your facts!

August 12th, 2016 Jacksonville, FL

They have been great at answering questions along with advise and the following through to completely restore my name.

August 11th, 2016 Humble, TX

I love ID Shield. Great service and coverage. Better than anything else out there.

July 28th, 2016 Hialeah, FL

Even though I've been a member for over 10 years, one payroll screw was enough to "lock" the account until it was paid. This is a horrible company!!!! It's totally insensitive, unprofessional and absolutely does not value anyone's patronage. Find another company as soon as you can! I sure am.

July 24th, 2016 Normal, IL

Once you learn how to use the service, it flipping' rocks. Ask enough questions and ask the attorneys how they would use it themselves.

July 15th, 2016 Roanoke, VA

The services is pretty useless they say they will advocate for credit reports against but if you happen to disagree with the credit cards report then tough shit, they do nothing beyond investigating this even if it damages your credit score. I had this service for 12 years and dropped after this situation occured.

July 15th, 2016

Because Inhad this product Inwas notified that my email have been hacked and I didn't even know. They told me I needed to change my password to avoid further damage. Great service

July 2nd, 2016 Saint Clairsville, OH

Simply the best value for the money and the 5 million dollar guarantee is far more then any others offer.

June 29th, 2016 Tustin, CA

I have had LegalShield for 20 years and have used it a number of time over the years. It helped my friend daughter restore her identity so she could get a scholarship which she was told she didn't qualify because someone else received state funds in her name when she was in high-school. She had no idea this had happened. Now she is a sophomore at USC with a full academic scholarship and grants and loans from the government after her name was cleared.

June 23rd, 2016 New York, NY

Since signing up with IDShield to protect my identity, the only interaction I've had with the company has been a flood of spammy email marketing from them trying to sell me deals that have nothing to do with identity protection. Subject line of the latest email form them was "Today Only! $25 Restaurant.com Certificates for $3."

June 3rd, 2016

Left lifelock and went to legalshield... service and action was fast and resolved issue almost immediately

June 3rd, 2016 Eustis, FL

I have been trying to cancel this account for weeks, they do not answer e mails

June 1st, 2016 Kernersville, NC

Signed up for the service. The process was great, smooth, no issues until the end. I received an email with my membership number and was advised to register the first time with it. When I did, it continues to inform me they cannot process my request.....but they were quick to take my money! Oh, and of course they are closed and couldn't speak to me about it. I think I want my refund! This is definitely not a good start!

May 12th, 2016 Townville, SC

This company is horrible. I paid them for 6 plus years and when I need simple estate planning like wills and a trust they were simply awful to deal with. Save your self time and money Go to someone else Customer service and home office are worthless and of no help to you the client. This firm only wants your money.

April 7th, 2016 Jasper, TN

I called to sign up but couldn't get a live person on the phone. That scares me

April 7th, 2016 Maple Hill, KS

I have found great satisfaction with Kroll Fraud Solutions. They have been there in my time of need and their private licensed investigators have cleaned up my mess without me having to miss work or time away from my family. Thank you ID Shiekd.

April 4th, 2016 Mesa, AZ

Do not trust this integrity lacking company! They make you sign up using your bank routing numbers and when I thought they had cancelled my services as they told me over the phone they continued to charge me for two years. They changed the names of the account pulling the money out which changed the tracking of how it was being taken out. I spent over an hour an a half on the phone with multiple representatives who said they would refund $29.90 of the $600+ dollars they took from me. I figured a company this big would not be okay taking over 600 dollars from a member who had cancelled two years ago but they all seemed fine to hold onto my money and tell me to have a nice day. Then again who would expect to trust a bunch of laywers?

March 9th, 2016 Boston, MA

Legal Shield is not an answer to anyones legal issues. The company provides poor service if any and is actually a pyramid scheme. The representatives are nothing more than salesmen who are decietful and fast talking employees whos main concern is to get the commision. The reresentative i had the displeasure of doing buisness with attempted to block my refund after providing no service. I strongly urge anyone seaching for legal help to not use Legal Shield!

February 16th, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

Great company, they have caught fraudulent activity numerous times and resolved it every time. It's so nice to have the ability to also speak with an attorney also since my family has the legal plan they offer to. This plan has not only protected us for over a decade, but made us a fortune using the service proactively.

January 28th, 2016

ID Shield Along with Legal Shield are awesome. My wife and i have both been victims of ID Theft . Hers was medical, Mine was drivers listens. I was notified that i got traffic ticket in New York , and i live in Michigan and was never in New York . ID Shield contacted me and Legal Shield hired a law firm . In about 10 days i was notified that the Law Firm had all issues related to the ticket were dropped - and i never had to leave home . My wife medical issues were the same. ID Shield hired a fraud investigation team and they fixed all medical discrepancies . All this for my monthly fee of under $20 dollars . I love the company

January 26th, 2016 Memphis, TN

IDShield and its earlier service (which I still own) is quite comprehensive and effective. Whenever I've called in, friendly & professional people take my questions and spend as much time as I want as they thoroughly answer my questions. Several months ago, I discovered that something terrible turned up on a background check -- that wasn't on my credit report but was affecting my ability to sign a contract. IDShield and LegalShield quickly worked together to clear up the issue for me. I only had to call, and they took care of the issue I had inadvertently discovered without any further involvement on my part... so I could get on with my life, sign the contract, and again I didn't have to spend any more time resolving the situation than simply calling. Other times, they have helped resolve issues that I didn't know about. Again, with no hassles and included with a low cost of membership. They are friendly, extremely competent, and effective. I'm sticking with IDShield and LegalShield.

January 22nd, 2016 Emmaus, PA

Legal Shield is nothing more than a minimal legal consultation service. Although the will and other general items are good,but if you are looking for real legal insurance, this IS NOT for you. From my experience, the only service provided is "consultation" and minimal at that. The attorney I talked to wanted to get off the phone as soon as possible and wanted to spend the least amount of time possible discussing my issue. He proposed to do nothing but referred me to a government agency or a local attorney where I would have to put up a $5000+ retainer for services. Again, only service provided was consultation. Please understand, this is not legal insurance.In my opinion, it is only consultation insurance.