Identity Guard is a product of Intersections, Inc. and was created to provide all consumers with the opportunity to receive the trusted expertise and protection that was previously only offered to financial institutions. Identity Guard is a leading provider of consumer and corporate identity risk management services.

According to the Identity Guard website, the company's mission is "to educate and empower every person to take control of their personal information to protect it from fraud, theft, or misrepresentation." Some of the protection services that Identity Guard offers include personal risk assessment, proactive action steps, credit scores and credit reports from all three major credit bureaus, around-the-clock monitoring service and fraud alert notifications, and up to $1 million in stolen funds reimbursement insurance.

The Good

• Monitoring Services
  • Plans and Prices
  • Data Breach Security
  • Insurance
  • Digital Protection

Monitoring Services

Identity Guard offers comprehensive identity theft protection services and packages which include credit monitoring services, dark web monitoring, address monitoring, and fraud alert notifications. Because Identity Guard provides so many monitoring services, it is much more likely that identity theft will be caught and shut down before it actually happens.

All of the monitoring services that Identity Guard offers to protect against identity thieves run 24/7 which is designed to help customers keep a peace of mind. Identity Guard provides monitoring services for everything from a customer's bank account (including checking account and savings account) to lost wallet protection and/or data breach security. The company appears to provide U.S.-based customer service support to those who have regarding their identity protection services and accounts.

Plans and Prices

Identity Guard offers a total of six plans — three individual plan options and three family plan options. According to the identity guard website, the company offers the following plans:

• Family Value — costs $14.99 per month when billed monthly, $12.50 per month when billed annually. This family plan option includes IBM Watson Artificial Intelligence, dark web monitoring, a risk management report, safe browsing tools, an online identity dashboard, a dedicated case manager, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance with added stolen funds reimbursement, and access to an anti-phishing app
  • Family Total — costs $29.99 per month when billed monthly, $25.00 per month when billed annually. This plan includes everything from the Family Value plan along with a monthly credit score, address monitoring, tri-bureau credit monitoring, and tax refund alerts
  • Family Premier — costs $34.99 per month when billed monthly, $29.17 per month when billed annually. This plan includes everything from the Family Total plan along with a credit score and credit report and a social insight report
  • Individual Value — costs $8.99 per month when billed monthly, $7.50 per month when billed annually. This plan includes IBM Watson Artificial Intelligence, dark web monitoring, a risk management report, safe browsing tools, an online identity dashboard, a dedicated case manager, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance with added stolen funds reimbursement, and access to an anti-phishing app
  • Individual Total — costs $19.99 per month when billed monthly, $16.67 per month when billed annually. This plan includes everything from the Individual Value plan along with a monthly credit score, address monitoring, tri-bureau credit monitoring, and tax refund alerts
  • Individual Premier — costs $24.99 per month when billed monthly, $20.83 per month when billed annually. This plan includes everything from the Individual Total plan along with a credit score and credit report and a social insight report

Data Breach Security

The company offers two data breach business services which include data breach readiness and data breach response. Identity Guard allows organizations to prepare for data breaches by providing them with network scans, data monitoring, employee security awareness training, an official Data Breach Readiness Guide, and other identity theft protection tools as well as online educational tools/resources that organizations can use to get their systems ready to protect against future data breaches.

Organizations will have the opportunity to plan out and develop a coordinated response to data breaches with Identity Guard's data breach readiness service. The Identity Guard data breach response service allows organizations to get the help and support they need to restore their customers' and investors' confidence levels post-breach and will provide organizations with a designated breach team and in-class products to help their affected customer base after a breach occurs.

Insurance

Identity Guard customers receive up to $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage, which reimburses them for theft-related expenses in the event that they become an identity theft victim. For example, the policy covers lost or stolen wages of $2,000 per week for up to five weeks, travel expenses of up to $1,000 per policy period, and spousal and childcare of up to $2,000 per policy period.

Identity Guard is partnered with AIG (a multinational insurance corporation that is based in the U.S.) to provide customers with $1 million in cash in case a customer becomes a victim of identity theft. Those who do fall victim to identity theft are assigned to a resolution specialist who will help monitor the customer's data for a total of three months post-resolution in order to protect against and prevent identity theft incidents in the future.

Digital Protection

One of Identity Guard's standout features is a digital privacy protection suite. The company offers protective software, password protection, malicious website blocking, ad blocking, flash blocking, tracking cookie blocking, phishing site blocking, keyboard encryption software, and online financial tools. Identity Guard also provides customers with a dedicated case manager and an anti-phishing app for mobile devices to help catch suspicious activity.

Identity Guard used automated settings to strengthen online privacy for individuals and families in regards to social media use. Since Identity Guard offers anti-virus and anti-phishing software, customers do not have to pay out-of-pocket costs to obtain their own software. Many other identity protection companies do not offer as much total protection software as Identity Guard. The company promises to keep any and all customer information away from thieves by using industry-standard encryption.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Money-Back Guarantee

Limited Recovery Services

Although Identity Guard does offer financial and criminal identity restoration services, the company does not assist with medical or tax identity recovery. Additionally, Identity Guard does not work with pre-existing identity conditions (for those who already have a stolen identity) nor does it provide limited power of attorney. Meanwhile, many other companies in the identity theft industry do offer most or all of these services.

No Money-Back Guarantee

Even though customers can cancel their membership/services with Identity Guard at any time, the company does not offer a complete money-back guarantee policy. According to the Identity Guard website, customers are "not entitled to any credit, refund, price adjustment, or any other discount, compensation or recompense for any partial-use or early cancellation." Refunds only seem to be available for special circumstances.

The Bottom Line

Identity Guard offers a reputable identity theft protection service that includes several monitoring services, six fairly-priced plans, various fraud alerts, data breach protection, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, U.S.-based customer service, software to protect against phishing scams, a safe browsing/web monitoring resource, and a comprehensive privacy total protection suite.

However, the company's identity restoration services for consumers who have fallen victim to identity theft are somewhat limited and the company lacks a complete money-back guarantee policy. Overall, Identity Guard has more positive aspects than negative and is one of the more reliable identity protection services to choose to protect your identity.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

3.2

Deborah Beall
March 26th, 2015 Fairfield, CT

Identity Guard gives me some level of "peace of mind" related to cyber fraud.

Theda Sharp
March 26th, 2015 Swanton, OH

Feel comfortable that I will get alerts of any irregularities. Have recommended it to a friend who had her account "hacked".

John
March 26th, 2015 Denver, CO

customer service has always been very knowledgeable and courteous. They are never judgmental.

David
March 26th, 2015 Huntersville, NC

Information( especially credit score) is not accurate... I also did not get what was advertised in the way of complete assessment from all 3 credit reporting agencies...

Joel Jones
March 26th, 2015 Baton Rouge, LA

Consistently professional, and accurate. I feel safer having the service.

Ramona Simmons
March 26th, 2015 Raymore, MO

Love the real time notifications. I appreciate your work.

Peter Kahigian
March 26th, 2015 Haverhill, MA

Has exceeded my expectations and I am more than satisfied with the service. Well worth the price for the piece of mind that it provides.

stanley herzog
March 26th, 2015 Geneva, IL

So far it is ok. I did get one notification. It was however an existing bank.

Carl F
March 26th, 2015 Matthews, NC

Identity Guard is the first and only product my wife I have ever used to protect our identities. The ability to get messages and check information is critical to us. Identity Guard was able to inform me when someone else's name was being associated with my SSN. This allowed me to take proactive action to protect my identity. Thank you Identity Guard.

Wayne Standerfer
March 26th, 2015 Duncanville, TX

I have never had a problem with Identity Guard. Their reports are spot on and I have total confidence in their findings. Will continue to subscribe to their services.

William Deaton
March 26th, 2015 Olathe, KS

Notification good No help in getting incorrect entries removed from my public record.

Belinda Thomas
March 26th, 2015 Rogersville, MO

I think everything is fine. I was referred when Chase stopped offering this to their customers because they had used this company. The only issue is that under Chase I could get a printed report sent to me in the mail if I requested it. I did this once a year to keep a history of my closing accounts (not everyone has a printer).

Adena L. Wilson
March 26th, 2015 Boise, ID

I called your toll free number for assistance, and a young man who answered was very professional and knowledgeable, and resolved my issue, which was my own misunderstanding of how to read my report and navigate your website.

Donald Alder
March 26th, 2015 Colorado Springs, CO

Every time I have a question about my account I have received nothing but great help. It doesn't matter what I need everyone I talk to go out of there way to help.

George Cortes
March 26th, 2015 FL

Good service notices for inquires or activity. Like the score updates

Julius Davis
March 26th, 2015 Conyers, GA

I really like having someone monitor all accounts concerning my identification. I like being able to sign into Identity Guard and see my credit scores and able to print a credit report.

Deanna Thomas Ward
March 26th, 2015 Chattanooga, TN

Love the job they are doing!

robert masotta
March 26th, 2015 Venice, FL

all is well info received is very useful

Mohammed B. Sayeed Sr
March 26th, 2015 Addison, IL

My wife & me find it really awesome in strict sense and have peace of our minds now and as before as it used to be with Chase ID Protection before joining Identity Guard

Jessica Thorne
March 26th, 2015 Denver, CO

Love the site and all its capabilities. The app is so limited, though, that I uninstalled it so I could just access it on the internet browser because it was easier.

JASMINE MIKIITA
March 26th, 2015 Scranton, PA

So far I am happy with Identity Guard. You have found a couple of problems but it all turned out correct. You are checking out my computer to be safe and no one hacking into my computer

Edward White
March 26th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

Nothing....absolutely nothing. Not even the credit report I was supposed to receive

barbara speight
March 26th, 2015 Chesapeake, VA

have trouble getting rid of wrong address. i do like identity guard though.

Benes Trus
March 26th, 2015 Bethesda, MD

It is nice to know that someone is watching out for my credit in these times when everyone else seems to be having problems. Alerts are timely, and so far (knock on wood) there has not been a problem. If there is a future problem, I'm certain identity guard will catch it. BT

Phillip T
March 26th, 2015 Austin, TX

I have been with you guys for a few years now. There's no need for anyone to search for another company for credit and identity theft protection. You get an A+ in my book. Keep up the excellent work Identity Guard.

Anthony Corona
March 26th, 2015 Brookfield, WI

I have used Identity guard for at least 10 years and have been very Happy.

Judith Kirschenman
March 26th, 2015 Roseville, CA

Although it was a minor problem, the person on the phone handled it very professionally and assured me everything was fine. She also helped me enter a new password.

Terry Janis
March 26th, 2015 Tiffin, OH

I feel very safe and confident with Identity Guard watching over my credit cards and accounts. I am comforted receiving monthly e-mails that say everything is fine. And if they aren't, I hear about it in a timely manner.

Leslie
March 26th, 2015 Medford, OR

I feel you do a fine job communicating necessary information from a distance, but = on a personal level I feel neglected. When I receive an occasional "alert" there are times I would like to be able to speak with someone but you funnel all phone calls to the same phone number i.e. inquiries, new service etc. I think there should be a different phone number for your members who receive alerts...this would feel more personal and less worrisome. Will you take the challenge and provide more personal service to your customers?

MH
March 26th, 2015 Charles Town, WV

ID Guard provides a wonderful service at a reasonable price. My only complaint is they are not very quick to notify you of changes to your credit report. They send you monthly updates and I was used to getting an email the very same day of the change with my previous security provider.

Rmaurer
March 26th, 2015 New Orleans, LA

I was s member that came over from Chase. My personal experience with you is outstanding. However, I have been disappointed with new member options for spouse and the Costco membership for family. You are never really upfront with what your memberships include. A bit confusing, bordering on deceptive. conclusion: "older memberships great; newer membership questionable value.

William H Norrell
March 26th, 2015 Okeechobee, FL

I have been with Identity Guard for several years and they always notify me of any request related to my personal information. If anything changes, they let me know. If someone is checking my credit, they let me know. The service has been GREAT for me and I sleep better at night knowing that I am with Identity Guard.

Rena Snyder
March 26th, 2015

Love it. Love it. Love it. It's so nice to have this service. To check my credit scores, get alerts, get my credit report, etc., is so easy and convenient. The monthly subscription is a small price to pay for the variety of services provided..

Mayra Garcia
March 26th, 2015 FL

The accessibility with a CSR rep was very difficult to access. You are on hold for a long period of time while the inquiry process is being handled.

Roy K Tonning. Sr.
March 26th, 2015 Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Having major issues with your ability to report my credit scores. Getting ready to cancel service.

steve petresky
March 26th, 2015 Pennsville, NJ

We were contacted by Identity Guard immediately when suspected unauthorized use of our credit card was detected. No unauthorized charges occurred but we had to get new cards which is a hastle but they prevented a large problem. Very happy with their services.

Stacy D. Jones-Haynes
March 26th, 2015 Chicago, IL

I love Identity Guard and couldn't my life without it! It keeps me informed EVERY AND ANYTIME someone checks my credit!! I have never felt safer and recommend them to all of my friends and family!! Whenever I've called and had a question the customer service representative explained the inquiry to me thoroughly and was very attentive to my needs. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK IDENTITY GUARD!!

Janice Butzky
March 26th, 2015 Fort Worth, TX

I have been very pleased with the experience of using Identity Guard for information about my credit report, credit repair information, and the protection of my major credit cards. Very good service and reasonable cost.

Brandon mcwherter
March 18th, 2015

Very misleading and hidden costs for the service. You get billed every month, but can only see your scores every 3 months? I've now paid over $50 to see one report!

John Eremic
March 16th, 2015 Monroeville, PA

I have been using Identity Guard for several years. I can't think of anything to complain about. I get periodic reports in a timely manner and the coverage is comprehensive. I did not rate them a 10 because the true test is what happens if you are a victim of identity fraud. Fortunately, I have not had to test their service in that regard yet. I was just notified that our personal information had been hacked at a cruise booking service that we used about 10 years ago - so we'll see.

JOSEPH M. NERI
March 9th, 2015 San Jose, CA

When I signed up I was told that if I canceled the subscription, ALL MY DATA would be removed from the records of Identity Guard. I just canceled my subscription and asked about removing my data. I was told by a Supervisor that all my DATA including my social security number would be retained in the records of the company. Supervisor could not explain why they would keep my social security number on their files. I never gave them permission to keep my Data if I canceled subscription. Very disappointed!!!

Josh
February 13th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

After I posted my original review the company returned my payment.

Kelli johnson
November 10th, 2014 Phoenix, AZ

I seem to only receive uninsidental issues. Very inconvenient when you have to go out of your way just to find out I paid my car off or my house loan etc. Da! They don't have around the clock customer service. The app can not tell me what county records issue I might have, causing another phone call. Whoops there is no one to talk to because it's a weekend so I need to wait and stress all weekend till I can figure out what's going on. It's Monday and I called to find out my property taxes were paid. Da! Customer service is always very polite and seem to be good at what they do. Got to be a way to no whether or not an issue is critical or not. Give me some better information in the alerts.

Mark Clement
October 7th, 2014 Portland, OR

too many times when I log into their system, one or more of their services are not online, for whatever reason. if they cannot keep their own system online, what does that say about their protection abilities. Costco member.

KenH
August 20th, 2014 Oak Harbor, WA

I guess I misunderstood the role of IdentityGuard. I had an account completely taken over and so far have not received any notice of this from them. I asked about that and was told they are a post-activity service and respond only when they are told there is an issue by the financial institution. Not what I was expecting frankly; I was under the impression the service was proactive. If I have to manage issues and clean up on my own, why am I paying for the service?

DianaR
August 18th, 2014 San Jose, CA

Shockingly Awful - We've had Identity Guard for years and fortunately, never needed their help to resolve any issues. Six months ago, they send an e-mail explaining how you should get the service for your kids because they too can be at risk and you're not as likely to know about it until much later. So I take them up on it. I talk to the kids and I set up min son's account and have my older daughter set up her own. The boy doesn't follow his, so I do. To begin with, we notice another name on his public record and that takes some effort to clean up. Well, he's overseas studying when I get an e-mail saying that there's a change to his public record. I try to sign on to see it and can't so I call. They argue with me that since he's over 18 he has to call. Well, he's a tad far away and there's a significant time difference. So I tell them that unfortunately we'll have to wait until he's home again or can look into it himself; in the mean time, they're responsible for anything that transpires due to a potential identity theft. Within minutes I receive a cancellation for his account. These people are fine with reports and willing to automatically debit your money - but run into an issue that could be a sign of identity theft and they're no longer interested.

Lewis
July 10th, 2014 Jackson Heights, NY

Terrible customer service - for years, I was able to get reports but now identity guard cannot pull all my reports - will not find out what is the problem. In fact, they have emailed me many times to call them - I thought they were able to pull over reports - no! They even called me today just to leave me on hold for 15 minutes!!!!!

nanda saputra
April 2nd, 2014

Token top eleven

lesliebarker
March 11th, 2014 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've been using Identity Guard for a while now. I first found out about them from Comcast because they were offering free service to members in my area (Seattle) and I love it so much I upgraded so I could use more of the paid services.

Beverly Grant
February 28th, 2014 Lady Lake, FL

You advertise $14.99 mo. for your service. Why is my charge up to $16.99?