Experian IdentityWorks℠ verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

5.1

Experian, which is the world's largest credit bureau, launched IdentityWorks in 2010 to provide identity protection services to consumers. IdentityWorks offers a suite of identity theft protection services that are divided into three distinct categories: detect, protect, and resolve.

The Good

• Affordable Plans
  • Free Trial Period
  • Enhanced Login Security
  • Identity Theft Insurance

Affordable Plans

Priced at $9.99 per month for the Plus plan and $19.99 per month for the Premium plan, IdentityWorks' services are considered to be affordable for most consumers.

Free Trial Period

IdentityWorks offers a free 30-day trial for each of its provided plans. The company also has an annual option available that allows consumers to have two free months of service.

Enhanced Login Security

In addition to the standard email and password, IdentityWorks also requires users to input the last four digits of their social security number in order to log in, which adds an additional layer of security to their account.

Identity Theft Insurance

IdentityWorks provides its customers with up to $1 million in identity theft insurance with zero deductible. In the event of identity theft, this policy covers expenses such as fraudulent electronic funds transfers, lost wages, legal fees, and private investigator costs.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Support
  • Lack of Recovery Services
  • Additional Charge for Credit Reports

Limited Customer Support

IdentityWorks' support center is only open 12 hours per day on weekdays and 8 hours per day on weekends. This means that customers may not be able to get ahold of the company during an emergency.

Lack of Recovery Services

Not surprisingly, IdentityWorks offers great detection services-Experian is a credit bureau, after all. However, the company's resolution services are seriously lacking when stacked up against competitors. IdentityWorks doesn't offer the limited power of attorney or follow-through options on surveillance alerts.

Additional Charge for Credit Reports

While many identity theft protection companies offer free credit reports, IdentityWorks charges a fee each time a customer would like a credit report. Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

Experian IdentityWorks is a credible organization that offers affordable identity protection services, a free trial period, and significant identity theft insurance. However, the IdentityWorks' recovery services are lacking and the company charges additional fees for credit reports.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

November 16th, 2017 San Marino, CA DETAILS

I signed up for Experian Identity Protection after the Equifax breach. They do a great job of blending credit monitoring and id protection features into the product. I trust them more than Lifelock because Lifelock uses Equifax credit information to "protect" their customers. I am happy with this service and would recommend to anyone looking to feel safer about their identities.

June 1st, 2017

We you're a victim of identity theft it.After that we were given protect my ID for two years by target because of their credit card breach. A couple of months after our initial fraud protect my ID did send us alerts within 24 hours that some one was trying to open credit cards in our name. The customer service person was very helpful and made sure that we always called her direct line back to resolve the issue. I spoke with her many many times and she was always polite and helpful. I only give it eight stars because it really does only protect your credit cards whereas other companies Apparently will protect your Social Security number and banking.

May 6th, 2017 Post Falls, ID

My one time experience was ok. I was notified of a credit card application in my name. The phone number of the issuing bank was provided, allowing me to cancel the application. They also, put a credit fraud alert on my account at all three credit monitoring services. BTW, you must go to the Protectmyid website to log in, not Experian, like I did. I thought my login credentials weren't working like some of the other reviewers, but I had the wrong website.

June 10th, 2016 Kailua, HI

Billed incorrectly for their service. Customer service supervisor refused to help me or transfer me to someone who could. There was no yelling, screaming, or name calling, but after telling me I should enroll in another company's free service, she told me she was "going to end this call." She hung up on me! What are we paying them for?!

May 18th, 2016 Louisville, KY

I received an email indicating that there was activity on my credit report. When I tried to log on, I had forgotten my password, so I clicked the link. I answered the personal questions accurately, but the system was indicating they were incorrect. Eventually I became locked out of the system. I called the service number and waited 23 minutes for someone to get on the line. The person that answered the phone was apparently only assessing and transferring, as she told me that I was going to get transferred, then I waited another 10 minutes. I hung up and proceeded to send an email inquiry. It's now been 48 hours and still not response. This is a joke.

May 12th, 2016 Henderson, NV

I received a free 3 year subscription due my bank's security breach. I have never been able to view my credit report. "Our system indicates that you do not have a current credit report(s) on file." There is no obvious way that I have found to get a credit report on file. I wrote customer support but no response after many weeks. This is a totally useless expense for totally irresponsible banks only. I see no value whatsoever.

April 5th, 2016 Bel Air, MD

I have protectmyid and had my identity stolen. False 2015 income tax reports were filed, and my credit cards were used fraudulently. All the while protectmyid showed no activity. Don't waste your money.

March 30th, 2016 Lutherville Timonium, MD

Terrible. Go with another company. I recieved a warning and tried to log into my account which failed. Then tried to call and was told that they were experiencing high call volume and to call back. I tried that for several days with no luck. I tried to email them and was told to call into the number I've been calling. Three weeks later they are still experiencing high call volume and i cant get through. Hope you have better luck.

March 28th, 2016 Monsey, NY

They are ridiculously unhelpful if god forbid you have to get a name change. They send you to a THIRD PARTY VENDOR info to fax or mail via snail mail your VERY SENSITIVE information. Its the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. And if you decide you will do this, expect to wait AT LEAST 45 DAYS to MAYBE get notification via snail mail that this information was in fact received. I cancelled my account immediately and signed up for life lock after finding out this was experian's process. Absolutely 100% unacceptable. I would not recommend this to anyone.

March 24th, 2016 Omaha, NE

Called to report a Identity Theft issue that I found out about via my employer and the IRS. The person on the phone was rude and just kept asking me what I wanted her to do. I told her that on the website it says to call this number immediately if you are a victim of Identity Theft and they would assign an agent to help you through all the task needed to be done. After about 5 minutes of being asked what I wanted them to do I hung up. Not sure why it is on website when people answering the phone are clueless.

January 30th, 2016 Bel Air, MD

I have this service (sic) as part of my AAA membership. Besides providing minimal "Protection", I heartily agree that their Customer Service (sic) is terrible. Additionally, they are constantly pushing you to sign up for their paid services. To add to those annoyances, their website sign-in is basically flawed. Almost every month, they want to confirm my login (even though they initiated the request) by: 1.) sending me a text (I don't use texting); 2.) sending an email (the email is unreadable and their clueless Customer Service department neither understands the problem nor knows anyone to contact to fix it); 3.) sending an automated phone message (another major annoyance). Bottom Line: If this wasn't free (included with my AAA membership) it would be completely worthless. I wonder how much they PAID AAA to include them as a service?

January 4th, 2016 Lubbock, TX

I cannot get this site to work. Every month I spent 2-3 hrs trying to get it to recognize me. I've enrolled over and over, changed my password. It doesn't even recognize me this month. The number I was given to get enrolled kept being switched (3 times) to a different company. It became a joke between us. I'm told this will be straightened out as "its a website glitch"......I never get called. If I could I would cancel this worthless subscription that was furnished to me FREE when my info was hijacked from a former employer.

December 18th, 2015 Norco, CA

Experian has chosen to deal with customers thru prerecorded options and solutions. My problems are not addressed in this one-way system. No responses are allowed, no emails and no calls. I can not believe that the California administration of this program has been using this policy and no one seems to care. I will send copies of my problems to the State and keep a file for repudiating any future complaints by Experian.

December 9th, 2015 Moorestown, NJ

Terrible service and worse support. Website is a mess and getting anyone to fix it is impossible. Emailing support gets a response indicating you need to call. Calling puts you on indefinite hold. Never spoke to a live person! Site sends emails telling you that you need to log in. When you try to log in it says you're locked out, you must call, and then you start all over again. Took 4 emails to cancel the service. Just a horrible service.

November 21st, 2015 La Vergne, TN

Total waste of money sign up workrd flawless but could not sign in after that 7 calls to customer service in one day still cant log in ive called cs over 20 times still no log in final solution canceled service 12 days ago no refund

November 4th, 2015 Grants Pass, OR

this is by far the worst nightmare ever to get any real live help from an operator . I have tried several phone numbers and all do not allow you to speak to a rep. this has been the worst site or company ever for help.

November 2nd, 2015 Houston, TX

I have been lied to by all three reporting agencies Experian and the other two claim to show you your FICO score in these credit tracker programs they are a con the scores the give you are no where even remotely close to what lenders are.... For instance Experian says I have a score of 697 however when making aplication for a mortgage based on that I find Experian gives the lender a score well below 600 they can't even get it close I recommend you don't waste your money on any of these so called credit tracking programs since your only paying for lies.

October 28th, 2015 Palm Desert, CA

I received a series of alerts about items in credit report (new inquiries) which were NOT authorized. I tried to call the service for assistance. THEIR VOICE MAIL ANSWERING SYSTEM PROVIDES NO (ZERO) OPTION FOR ACTUALLY GETTING INFORMATION ABOUT THE REPORTS OR WHAT TO DO ABOUT THEM. Essentially it is a totally worthless product/service. If anyone is paying for this, they are being defrauded!

October 27th, 2015 Watertown, WI

Experian is a joke. They charge you monthly for a piece of paper that is not acurate! they owe me money and because their very small print says that they can charge my account that I will not be getting refunded.

October 25th, 2015 Miami, FL

I hate that company I cancelled way before time and they only have half of my money back

October 14th, 2015 Seal Beach, CA

I was one of t mobile 's unfortunate customers whose ssn was leaked out thanks to experian and their lack of security .I signed up for their credit monitoring was given a password and username which don't work , I called multiple times spent an hour on the phone each time , and 2 weeks later still I cant log in to check to see if there is any fraudulent activity on my account . customer service each time gives me the run around . Terrible company terrible service , useless security , and why are they holding peoples social security numbers after they do a credit check for t mobile , there's no reason to hold that info for years ! awful company , i recommend people use the other credit services

October 4th, 2015 GA

Err...I am a TMobile customer, and after reading about the data breach where my information was stolen from Epxerian, I signed up for the free protection service (offered by Experian...wtf #1). Surprisingly, all the infomation required to signup...was the same that was stolen (wtf #2). I would have expexted a signup process a little more rigorous, like at phone call to verify...I don't know...something? Anyway, the signup process does not make me feel protected at all. I guess I'll hopefully see if I am protected or not.

September 14th, 2015 Reston, VA

ProtectMyID is WORTHLESS. I received a security alert, but I can't remember my password. After several attempts to retrieve using correct security answers, I'm locked out. Call the service line and the voice message says "we're too busy, call back later" and hangs up on me! What a joke! The service is giving Experian a bad name.

September 5th, 2015

ok i signed up to the free trial about 1 year ago when someone from the company i work with hacked into the system and stole hundreds of employee's personal details. well ive never signed on so naturally i forgot my password. i couldnt remember my memorable word and after several failed attempts to log in, i was locked out. so i rang them and spoke to a friendly woman who got it unlocked for me, asked me for my address and said she would send me my memorable word. this came in a email today. so i went onto the website and said that id forgotten my password. it then asked me for my first name, surname and email address. i typed all these in correctly but then it says they were incorrect. but for some reason my first attempt worked

September 4th, 2015 Federal Way, WA

As noted by many other users, terrible service. Had trouble logging in, after I was sent a notice that there was a problem. I recently had my credit card number used fraudulently and wanted to see what this place had to say. I tried calling and could not even get put on hold or voicemail. Said they were really busy and call back later!! WHAT? Worthless!

September 3rd, 2015 Mount Prospect, IL

I have received multiple email alerts, when logging in, did not recognize me and locked me out. The phone number given has not worked for 24 hrs. What's up with this company?

September 1st, 2015 San Jose, CA

Absolutely ridiculous service... website doesn't recognize my own information and on calling put on an endless hold. Will not have anything to do with Experian going forward. I use their service for screening tenants and that is just as crappy on support.

August 15th, 2015 Indianapolis, IN

Good luck should you ever want to talk to someone on their customer service line. You would have a better chance excaping from a black hole! Their log-in screen tells you your username and password is not reconized when it is entered correctly. The entire credit industry is a scam and Experian is part of the trifecta of not caring about fairness or ethics not to mention deplorable customer service.

August 12th, 2015 Coppell, TX

What a bunch of clueless clowns. They would not directly confirm the name of their company, nice when I'm trying to find their website. The activation code they sent me bounced, no good. The first two passwords they sent me didn't work. I have serious doubts these folks could even made a PBJ sammich. Avoid at all cost.

August 5th, 2015 Philadelphia, PA

Terrible service! They have not done anything to solve any of my issues but create more case numbers that never get resolved. When you contact customer support they are always experiencing "longer than normal wait times." It normally takes longer than 30 minutes to be connected to a representative (if you even manage to get someone.) They don't stay on the phone trying to resolve an issue but rather tell you to call numbers that are no longer in service to dispute identity theft with another company or bank. Luckily I received this service for free because my information had been compromised; please don't pay for this.

August 5th, 2015 Cypress, TX

While the service may detect activity......don't try to call!!! CALL WAIT TIMES AVERAGE OVER 1 HOUR FOR ME!!!!!!!!!! FIRST CALL WAS 1 HOUR 45 MINUTES TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE!!!!

August 3rd, 2015 Olney, MD

I to was directed to this companyby carefirst my acct.at this point I am alittle leary with carefirst too how could a well known company have their customers fall into this bucket of crap twice one by hack secound by this fly night company

August 3rd, 2015 Washington, DC

The service is basically worthless, you re not getting anything that you can't get by locking down your credit reports. Take the service for free, but don't bother paying for it, thats is just a ripoff.

August 2nd, 2015 Poughkeepsie, NY

Absolutely terrible. I cannot log into my account without going through the "Forget Password" protocol. I've been receiving alerts on my account due to a change in address, but even when I'm able to log on, I can't save any new preferences. I emailed Support, and they gave me some BS about not being able to resolve MOST issues via email. I called their Customer Support several times, and I received a "higher than normal call wait times" message every time. There is no Customer Support infrastructure with this company. DON'T join.

July 29th, 2015 Fort Wayne, IN

received letter from medical informatics engineering alerting security compromised and gave instructions to contact Experian's protect my id elite credit monitoring service web pg and enter codes. I tried the page and it didn't accept codes. also tried phone numbers listed to get music and no answer.feels like scam!

July 29th, 2015 Levittown, NY

Absolutely dishonest business practice. I waited 37 minutes on hold to cancel my membership. I explained that I preferred Lifelock's services better. The customer service canceled my membership and sent me a confirmation email. A week later my credit card is charged with the monthly membership. I take the confirmation email and forward it to their customer service asking why I was charged. Gabrielle L send me back an email stating my membership was never canceled. Meanwhile if she scrolls down in the email, she will see that it clearly states my membership was canceled that day I called. When I call the customer service line I am told that there is unusually long delays and that I should call back later. Then it hangs up on me. Completely dishonest business practice. Avoid at all costs!

July 28th, 2015 Alpharetta, GA

Is there any way to get to speak to one of your representatives? I have tried calling for 3 days and am constantly being told to call back later. The line then goes dead!

July 28th, 2015 Lynnwood, WA

I was on hold over 45 min yesterday, and after waiting on hold again today I gave up trying to contact them by phone.

July 10th, 2015 Eugene, OR

The worst! Took 45 minutes to even get a rep on the line. Coverage is minimal & is for Experian only, not all the credit bureaus. Don't waste your money.

June 9th, 2015 Danvers, MA

Protect My ID informed me of an alert, a credit check that I didn't authorize. I have been trying to call their help number for hours. It says they are overwhelmed and to call back at a later time or date!!!