Experian IdentityWorks℠

Experian IdentityWorks℠

Experian, which is the world's largest credit bureau, launched IdentityWorks in 2010 to provide identity protection services to consumers. IdentityWorks offers a suite of identity theft protection services that are divided into three distinct categories: detect, protect, and resolve.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 6.8 8.0 Read Review
#2 6.2 8.9 Read Review
#3 6.1 3.9 Read Review
#5 4.9 1.4 Current

The Good

• Affordable
  • Credible Institution
  • Identity Theft Insurance

Affordable

Priced at $15.95 per month, IdentityWorks' services are considered to be affordable for most consumers.

Credible Institution

IdentityWorks is operated under Experian and has been leveraged by large companies such as Target, Neiman Marcus, and T-Mobile after major data breaches.

In addition to the standard email and password, IdentityWorks also requires users to input the last four digits of their social security number in order to log in, which adds an additional layer of security to their account.

Identity Theft Insurance

IdentityWorks provides its customers with $1 million in identity theft insurance with zero deductible. In the event of identity theft, this policy covers expenses such as fraudulent electronic funds transfers, lost wages, legal fees, and private investigator costs.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Support
  • Lack of Recovery Services
  • Additional Charge for Credit Reports

Limited Customer Support

IdentityWorks' support center is only open 12 hours per day on weekdays and 8 hours per day on weekends. This means that customers may not be able to get ahold of the company during an emergency.

Lack of Recovery Services

Not surprisingly, IdentityWorks offers great detection services-Experian is a credit bureau, after all. However, the company's resolution services are seriously lacking when stacked up against competitors. IdentityWorks doesn't offer the limited power of attorney, protection on pre-existing conditions, or follow-through options on surveillance alerts.

Additional Charge for Credit Reports

While many identity theft protection companies offer free credit reports, IdentityWorks charges a fee each time a customer would like a credit report. Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

Experian IdentityWorks is a credible organization that offers affordable identity protection services and significant identity theft insurance. However, the IdentityWorks' recovery services are lacking and the company charges additional fees for credit reports.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

78 Experian IdentityWorks℠ Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 1st, 2017

We you're a victim of identity theft it.After that we were given protect my ID for two years by target because of their credit card breach. A couple of months after our initial fraud protect my ID did send us alerts within 24 hours that some one was trying to open credit cards in our name. The customer service person was very helpful and made sure that we always called her direct line back to resolve the issue. I spoke with her many many times and she was always polite and helpful. I only give it eight stars because it really does only protect your credit cards whereas other companies Apparently will protect your Social Security number and banking.

3 1

May 6th, 2017 Post Falls, ID

My one time experience was ok. I was notified of a credit card application in my name. The phone number of the issuing bank was provided, allowing me to cancel the application. They also, put a credit fraud alert on my account at all three credit monitoring services. BTW, you must go to the Protectmyid website to log in, not Experian, like I did. I thought my login credentials weren't working like some of the other reviewers, but I had the wrong website.

June 10th, 2016 Kailua, HI

Billed incorrectly for their service. Customer service supervisor refused to help me or transfer me to someone who could. There was no yelling, screaming, or name calling, but after telling me I should enroll in another company's free service, she told me she was "going to end this call." She hung up on me! What are we paying them for?!

May 18th, 2016 Louisville, KY

I received an email indicating that there was activity on my credit report. When I tried to log on, I had forgotten my password, so I clicked the link. I answered the personal questions accurately, but the system was indicating they were incorrect. Eventually I became locked out of the system. I called the service number and waited 23 minutes for someone to get on the line. The person that answered the phone was apparently only assessing and transferring, as she told me that I was going to get transferred, then I waited another 10 minutes. I hung up and proceeded to send an email inquiry. It's now been 48 hours and still not response. This is a joke.

4 0

May 12th, 2016 Henderson, NV

I received a free 3 year subscription due my bank's security breach. I have never been able to view my credit report. "Our system indicates that you do not have a current credit report(s) on file." There is no obvious way that I have found to get a credit report on file. I wrote customer support but no response after many weeks. This is a totally useless expense for totally irresponsible banks only. I see no value whatsoever.

April 5th, 2016 Bel Air, MD

I have protectmyid and had my identity stolen. False 2015 income tax reports were filed, and my credit cards were used fraudulently. All the while protectmyid showed no activity. Don't waste your money.

March 30th, 2016 Lutherville Timonium, MD

Terrible. Go with another company. I recieved a warning and tried to log into my account which failed. Then tried to call and was told that they were experiencing high call volume and to call back. I tried that for several days with no luck. I tried to email them and was told to call into the number I've been calling. Three weeks later they are still experiencing high call volume and i cant get through. Hope you have better luck.

March 28th, 2016 Monsey, NY

They are ridiculously unhelpful if god forbid you have to get a name change. They send you to a THIRD PARTY VENDOR info to fax or mail via snail mail your VERY SENSITIVE information. Its the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. And if you decide you will do this, expect to wait AT LEAST 45 DAYS to MAYBE get notification via snail mail that this information was in fact received. I cancelled my account immediately and signed up for life lock after finding out this was experian's process. Absolutely 100% unacceptable. I would not recommend this to anyone.

March 24th, 2016 Omaha, NE

Called to report a Identity Theft issue that I found out about via my employer and the IRS. The person on the phone was rude and just kept asking me what I wanted her to do. I told her that on the website it says to call this number immediately if you are a victim of Identity Theft and they would assign an agent to help you through all the task needed to be done. After about 5 minutes of being asked what I wanted them to do I hung up. Not sure why it is on website when people answering the phone are clueless.

January 30th, 2016 Bel Air, MD

I have this service (sic) as part of my AAA membership. Besides providing minimal "Protection", I heartily agree that their Customer Service (sic) is terrible. Additionally, they are constantly pushing you to sign up for their paid services. To add to those annoyances, their website sign-in is basically flawed. Almost every month, they want to confirm my login (even though they initiated the request) by: 1.) sending me a text (I don't use texting); 2.) sending an email (the email is unreadable and their clueless Customer Service department neither understands the problem nor knows anyone to contact to fix it); 3.) sending an automated phone message (another major annoyance). Bottom Line: If this wasn't free (included with my AAA membership) it would be completely worthless. I wonder how much they PAID AAA to include them as a service?

January 4th, 2016 Lubbock, TX

I cannot get this site to work. Every month I spent 2-3 hrs trying to get it to recognize me. I've enrolled over and over, changed my password. It doesn't even recognize me this month. The number I was given to get enrolled kept being switched (3 times) to a different company. It became a joke between us. I'm told this will be straightened out as "its a website glitch"......I never get called. If I could I would cancel this worthless subscription that was furnished to me FREE when my info was hijacked from a former employer.

December 18th, 2015 Norco, CA

Experian has chosen to deal with customers thru prerecorded options and solutions. My problems are not addressed in this one-way system. No responses are allowed, no emails and no calls. I can not believe that the California administration of this program has been using this policy and no one seems to care. I will send copies of my problems to the State and keep a file for repudiating any future complaints by Experian.

December 9th, 2015 Moorestown, NJ

Terrible service and worse support. Website is a mess and getting anyone to fix it is impossible. Emailing support gets a response indicating you need to call. Calling puts you on indefinite hold. Never spoke to a live person! Site sends emails telling you that you need to log in. When you try to log in it says you're locked out, you must call, and then you start all over again. Took 4 emails to cancel the service. Just a horrible service.

5 0

November 21st, 2015 La Vergne, TN

Total waste of money sign up workrd flawless but could not sign in after that 7 calls to customer service in one day still cant log in ive called cs over 20 times still no log in final solution canceled service 12 days ago no refund

November 4th, 2015 Grants Pass, OR

this is by far the worst nightmare ever to get any real live help from an operator . I have tried several phone numbers and all do not allow you to speak to a rep. this has been the worst site or company ever for help.

November 2nd, 2015 Houston, TX

I have been lied to by all three reporting agencies Experian and the other two claim to show you your FICO score in these credit tracker programs they are a con the scores the give you are no where even remotely close to what lenders are.... For instance Experian says I have a score of 697 however when making aplication for a mortgage based on that I find Experian gives the lender a score well below 600 they can't even get it close I recommend you don't waste your money on any of these so called credit tracking programs since your only paying for lies.

October 28th, 2015 Palm Desert, CA

I received a series of alerts about items in credit report (new inquiries) which were NOT authorized. I tried to call the service for assistance. THEIR VOICE MAIL ANSWERING SYSTEM PROVIDES NO (ZERO) OPTION FOR ACTUALLY GETTING INFORMATION ABOUT THE REPORTS OR WHAT TO DO ABOUT THEM. Essentially it is a totally worthless product/service. If anyone is paying for this, they are being defrauded!

1 0

October 27th, 2015 Watertown, WI

Experian is a joke. They charge you monthly for a piece of paper that is not acurate! they owe me money and because their very small print says that they can charge my account that I will not be getting refunded.

October 25th, 2015 Miami, FL

I hate that company I cancelled way before time and they only have half of my money back

October 14th, 2015 Seal Beach, CA

I was one of t mobile 's unfortunate customers whose ssn was leaked out thanks to experian and their lack of security .I signed up for their credit monitoring was given a password and username which don't work , I called multiple times spent an hour on the phone each time , and 2 weeks later still I cant log in to check to see if there is any fraudulent activity on my account . customer service each time gives me the run around . Terrible company terrible service , useless security , and why are they holding peoples social security numbers after they do a credit check for t mobile , there's no reason to hold that info for years ! awful company , i recommend people use the other credit services