Equifax Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: July 2nd, 2022

Equifax is a credit monitoring agency that was founded in 1899 in Atlanta, Georgia. The privately held company offers an identity protection Lock & Alert service for both individuals.

The Good

• Identity Theft Prevention
  • Free Service

Identity Theft Prevention

Equifax works to catch identity theft before it even happens. The company provides triple-bureau credit monitoring, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes.

Free Service

Equifax's Lock & Alert service is a free service that allows customers to easily lock and unlock their Equifax credit report. By locking their credit report, customers can have additional protection against identity theft criminals.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Antivirus Software

Limited Recovery Services

While Equifax does offer assistance with financial identity recovery, there are a number of other restoration services that the company does not provide. For example, Equifax cannot help with medical, criminal, or tax identity recovery.

No Antivirus Software

Equifax does not provide its customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their computers.

The Bottom Line

Equifax offers a free identity protection Lock & Alert service as well as several other services. However, Equifax's recovery services are limited and the company does not offer antivirus software.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

4.1

Tara Gillispie Philadelphia, PA

Equifax has been around for a very long time and they have never disappointed. I first used them for my credit score monitoring and that’s how I learned about the identity protection and it has been wonderful since day 1.

Jane Milton Reidsville, NC

Equifax Identity Protection Goes Above & Beyond! Superior Communication & Customer Service. Equifax Stays On Top Of Your Issue. Notifications Every Step Of The Way 24hrs A Day. I Highly Recommend Equifax For Any Identity Issues You May Be Experiencing. Keep Up The Impressive Work Equifax!!

Tony Lolli Meyersdale, PA

I thought my id might have been stolen when I discovered a questionable purchase. It was easy to make contact with Equifax. The representative quickly understood the reason for my call and was quick to help solve the problem. She was also courteous and client centered.

Krystal Cooke Houston, TX

So far so good! Always tells me when they do there checks. Gives a list of things to do to better protect yourself from would be thieves. Having a company go that extra miles is awesome

Brian Newman El Paso, TX

Prior to having any type of credit score review outlet, I just charged and made payments here and there. After downloading the free Equifax app, I learned the negative impact of my actions. I quickly saw how I could increase my credit score and then I really learned the benefits of having that great credit score when buying a car. Being able to an Equifax Boost was an added bonus which was great at increasing my core almost instantly.

Dale Berridge Tucson, AZ

I received an Equifax four year identity/credit monitoring service because of a class action lawsuit against them and so far I am impressed with the depth of monitoring provided. Licence, pass port, bank, credit and dark web plus things I would never have thought about like my medical coverage. So far so good. I would recommend this service to anyone seeking to protect their information from the many ne'er-do-well's lurking out in the world.

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

Just recently I received a notification about my information being compromised with my email address and I was notified to reach out to Equifax. Their customer service was great they worked with me and provided excellent tools to work to resolve the issues I was having. Great ideas on how to be better proactive in todays electronic world. Thank you

Rebecca D Sterling Heights, MI

My experience with Equifax was amazing. I was able to monitor my credit report while still having the added protection of the Identity Shield add on. I think it’s a great product especially with todays times being uncertain. It gives you your current score and you can pull up your report anytime to verify any suspicious or possible fraudulent activity. Would highly recommend.

Joanne_motherofanangel Shelby, NC

I used to think Equifax was the enemy because of someone stealing my identity. A family member used my name to get a credit card and never told me or paid it. I thought Equifax was just there for bad news. They told me they were going to help me. I already signed up for one other place but canceled and I needed help. I was in a chat with Equifax and they called me to go over what I needed to do. I followed through and they saved me. My credit is finally getting better and I have only 2 companies in the world to thanks with Equifax being one of them! Top rating here for me. 5 star!!

Autumn Lewiston, ID

When comparing rates, Equifax identity theft protection offers identity protection and credit monitoring at a reasonable price compared to similar companies. I really like how Equifax offers protection of my money, SSN, medical numbers, and will help recover my identity.

J. Garrett Detroit, MI

When I became a member with Equifax I had never had a problem with identity theft but I learned a lot from them. Someone's identity can be stolen easier than I thought. Equifax alerted me every time something suspicious popped up with my identity. Very helpful company!

Chad Edgar Columbia, MO

On Equifax I can check not only my FICO score but my three individual scores as well I'm so grateful to have them they have a very good ID protection program they keep very vigilant eye on your personal transactions made through the account they will watch your back and catch the slightest breach thank you Equifax for being amazing

David Wilhelm Escondido, CA

They are very prompt and responsive to inquiries about credit standing and have a helpful resource to securely protect one's credit report from unauthorized access. I highly recommend them when considering locking a credit report as a way to prevent fraud and unauthorized access.

Lisa Hochstetler Porter, TX

I bought the whole Equifax package which included identity protection and credit score coverage. Equifax did a great job of protecting my accounts. I stopped the service as I felt it was a bit expensive and I'm on a fixed income. I do trust Equifax as it's a big company that seems very trustworthy

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

I use Equifax to stay on top of my credit and to protect my identity. So far, I am loving the services they offer, from repairing your credit to protecting you from scammers and identity theft! Equifax identify monitoring is affordable and easy sign up process. I’m so happy to know all my personal information is protected with them!

Theresa Clemon Chicago, IL

I love the fact , knowing that my account is safe, I can check my account for my scores. I love that the access to my , I have control.

DM DM Warrington, PA

After HD got hacked, I got this service and continue to use it. Super simple to use and makes me feel confident I am always protected.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

Equifax has been a simple and convenient service for checking my credit score as well as monitoring my identity. The process was easy to set up and I get alert if there is any inquiries or changes in my credit.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

First, Equifax monitors your online presence. Second, it has a fast responsive website. That's important. Your credit score is important, Equifax dedicates it's resources to you. I've had a great experience.

Michelle Crane Phoenix, AZ

I use this company to keep up with my credit scores. There has never been any issues with my privacy or any other issues with this company. Credit is revealed quickly and accurately

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

Was used in past years after a security breach from massive stolen information . Was able to view my reports easily online and had no problems with any theft. A trusted company. Good offers.

Shauntesy Boyce Sacramento, CA

Very good customer support and let's you know right away when something doesn't look right.

Jesse Prince Tulsa, OK

Very easy to monitor your account online and customer service was fast and friendly.

Joe O Hoffman Estates, IL

Alerts me to movement or things happening I should know or that seems unusual and I can manage from the app.

Terri Kingman, AZ

I had some fraud going on in my credit, called to see what was going on and was rerouted to another association who helped me figure out what was going on

Fernando

Identity Protection is something everyone should have and they should have it with Equifax. They watch over you like a big brother would. They take my worry away.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

It was good, we got updates whenever a breach happened. They did a great job of presenting information without being scarry.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

Have been using Equifax for a while to monitor my credit I like how easy it is to look up on their website.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

The service seems to be effective although you don't really know if nothing happens, and is reasonably priced

Nxx Wang Mount Sinai, NY

Easy to inquire, price is fair. The report looks accurate.

Bob Abaya South San Francisco, CA

I really appreciate the up to date and accurate information provided to me.

Abby Smith Dothan, AL

I have used Equifax for about 2 years now and they have never disappointed me. I’m always contacted immediately if something is strange.

Chef Mike Maucher Ocean City, NJ

Company offers 360 monitoring and protection of accounts.

Kenny Roberts Calhoun, GA

They always have up to date reporting and the information is always thorough and easy to navigate.