Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

American Express CreditSecure

American Express CreditSecure Logo

American Express CreditSecure

Identity protection services for $16.99 per month

For more than 150 years, American Express has been providing customers with services to meet their financial needs. Its services have evolved over the years to be primarily focused on credit cards, but the company also offers an identity protection product called CreditSecure, which monitors customers' credit reports and histories for unauthorized activity.

#1 IdentityIQ Logo IdentityIQ ›

7.1

Overall
Score

#2 MyIDCare Logo MyIDCare ›

6.6

Overall
Score

#3 LegalShield IDShield Logo LegalShield IDShield ›

6.0

Overall
Score

#11 American Express CreditSecure Logo American Express CreditSecure ›

2.6

Overall
Score

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• Three-bureau Credit Monitoring
  • Real-Time Alerts
  • Customer Service Availability

Three-Bureau Credit Monitoring

American Express offers comprehensive credit monitoring from all three major credit bureaus-Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. In addition, customers have unlimited access to their credit scores.

Real-Time Alerts

If American Express notices any unusual activity on a customer's credit report, the company will immediately notify the customer to verify the action. If the action is determined to be fraudulent, the necessary steps will be taken to rectify the situation.

Customer Service Availability

American Express' customer service department is available 24/7, which means that customers may contact the company at any time for help or support.

The Bad

• Lack of Other Monitoring Services
  • Limited Website Information

Lack of Other Monitoring Services

While American Express offers credit monitoring, the company does not monitor bank accounts, tax information, or social security numbers. This leaves several vulnerable places where identity theft could occur.

Limited Website Information

American Express offers some information on its CreditSecure website, however, there is limited information regarding pricing details, service plans, identity theft insurance, etc.

Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

American Express offers credit monitoring with all three major bureaus, as well as fraud alerts in the event that suspicious activity is detected. However, the company does not offer bank account, tax, or social security monitoring and lacks some important information on its website.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

1.5

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

John P
October 22nd, 2018 Gloucester, MA DETAILS

Service does not work. I had a score drop they missed then I could not get an updated credit score.

Timothy Sheehan
April 30th, 2018 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

Like others I have subscribed to Credit Secure for many years. Recently the program change and not only were services reduced the price increased. Additionally since the change over I have not been able to consistently login to Credit Secure, I either receive an error stating subscriber id doesn't exist or that I have been logged out. Credit Secure has not been able to resolve this issue.

MaryLynne LaMantia
November 30th, 2017 Westminster, CA DETAILS

I had CreditSecure for several years but then they raised the price and decreased the coverage. After I cancelled, I was rebilled for the increased amount. It took me 2 hours on hold and chatting with AmEx to finally get the charge disputed. I still do not know if the charge will be removed. CreditSecure has THE WORST customer service.

SG
November 30th, 2017 Dallas, TX DETAILS

I have been calling for 2 weeks on hold hours at a time with no resolve. I get an error message saying my subscriber id doesn't exist and American Express has been no help but the are charging my card for the service. I have been on hold for over an hour tonight. They finally picked up and asked same questions with no resolve. They are taking no responsibility at all. Brenda with Credit Secure just put me on hold again 1 hour minutes so far

Carl Manson
November 22nd, 2017 Lithonia, GA DETAILS

I received an email that my account was being cancelled because my amx card did not work. When I attempted to call, I was advised that it would be a two hour wait to speak to someone. I called amx to determine if there was a problem with my card and was transferred back credit secure. Very poor customer service.

Michael BestCo Savas
November 21st, 2017 Frederick, MD DETAILS

Appalling customer service. Was unable to talk to anyone to get guidance on Equifax breach, completely inadequate responses by email, 30 minute wait times on phone, cancelled my subscription without notifying me that my credit card information had expired. Its shameful that AmEx tolerates this sub-par quality, given their brand as a premium card company.

Leonard Michaels
November 17th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS

Extremely long wait time to speak with Credit Secure Customer Service (over 40 minutes) but otherwise a good product .

Erin Thomas
July 7th, 2016 Pittsburgh, PA

Don't Do It! Predatory business practices. $1 promotion for first time customers only (with no way of checking to see if you had previously enrolled). Ended up paying $17 for an "approximation" of my credit score when I could have received the ACTUAL scores from the 3 major companies for the same price. Terrible product, terrible customer service, terrible experience all around.

Johanna Lessinger
June 13th, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

CreditSecure keeps cancelling my account, claiming there is missing information from one of the big 3 reporting agencies. CreditSecure won't say WHAT information is missing. When I call the reporting agency they are bewildered--as far as they know no data is missing and my credit is excellent. Have been through this multiple times--a major hassle and time waster. What are we paying them for?

Ben Leff
January 20th, 2016 Houston, TX

I have to respectfully disagree with the review of the Credit Secure service. First, as the name implies, it only protects and monitors your credit and not your identity, which allows them to keep an extremely competitive price point of $14.99/month. I switched over from one of the major Identity/Credit monitoring services because of their poor customer service and $24.99 monthly rate. Amex Credif Secure gives me two full credit reports each month, and I can easily submit fraudulent activity claims through American Express with certainty that the Credit Secure department will cover me. My most recent case was someone charging $250 on one of my Amex cards... Within minutes of calling Amex fraud, they had me on the line with Credif Secure and we set up fraudulent charge alerts for specific cards. All three bureaus were notified and I even received letters in the mail from them. I could not be happier with the service, and as far as billing goes, it has been $14.99/month each month with no hidden fees or up-charges.