AAA ID Protection Logo

AAA ID Protection

Is This Your Business?

AAA was founded in 1902 as a nonprofit federation of clubs and currently has 56 million members in the United States and Canada.

AAA uses Experian ProtectMyID to provide members and consumers with identity theft protection. Experian, one of three major credit bureaus, provides information services, analytical tools, and marketing services.

With ProtectMyID, customers can obtain identity theft insurance, lost wallet protection, real-time fraud alerts, dark web surveillance, social security number monitoring, child identity monitoring, fraud resolution support, and more.

Keep reading to learn more about AAA's ProtectMyID services and to view customer reviews.

The Good

• Affordable Price
  • Lost Wallet Assistance
  • Identity Theft Insurance

Affordable Price

AAA offers three identity protection plans that consumers can choose from. The ProtectMyID Essential Coverage plan is free for those who have an AAA membership while the ProtectMyID Deluxe Coverage plan costs $10.95 per month and the ProtectMyID Platinum Coverage plan costs $15.95 per month.

These plan options are priced relatively low when compared to the prices of other companies in the identity theft protection industry.

Lost Wallet Assistance

AAA offers lost wallet assistance as a part of its identity theft protection service.

Customers can securely store important personal information like debit card and medical card numbers in one safe place, as well as cancel and replace cards with a single phone call in the event of a lost or stolen wallet.

Identity Theft Insurance

AAA provides its customers with up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, so customers can rest assured that they will be covered in the event of identity theft.

It's important to note, however, that AAA Premier members who sign up for the free ProtectMyID plan will only be able to receive up to $10,000 in identity theft insurance.

The Bad

• No Credit Restoration
  • Card Limits

No Credit Restoration

In the event of identity theft, AAA does not offer credit restoration services. For example, the company does not provide its customers with legal support or limited power of attorney to help restore their credit.

It's important to note that some other identity theft protection companies do offer full restoration services to identity theft victims.

Card Limits

The insurance company will only monitor and protect up to three cards per account. Additionally, the company requires customers to manually add the cards that they would like to be protected from identity fraud.

The Bottom Line

In comparison to other identity theft protection companies, AAA offers fairly affordable identity protection services through Experian ProtectMyID. In fact, those who have an AAA membership can get the ProtectMyID Essential Coverage plan at no extra cost.

In regard to the company's offered identity protection plans, it seems that customers can obtain quality protection services such as lost wallet assistance, fraud restoration, identity theft insurance, social security number monitoring, fraud alert notifications, and more.

The apparent downside is that the company does not provide any credit restoration services and places a limit on the number of cards that may be monitored and protected.

Although the insurance company does offer some free identity protection coverage to members, that coverage is fairly limited. If you are an AAA member and do not have any identity theft protection in place, the free plan might be a good option for you. However, to obtain more coverage, you will have to pay extra for the ProtectMyID Deluxe and Platinum plans.

We recommend that you visit the company's website and conduct your own research to see which identity protection service options are right for you.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

2.5

Tessa Sant Ogden, UT

ID Champion does include dedicated identity resolution support! A team of experts will help with contacting banks and lenders, and helping file reports to the police and government. For $10.95 a month(Protect plan) you also get Up to $2 million insurance for expenses & legal fees & Up to $200,000 insurance for stolen funds! For $19.95 a month (Complete level) you get even more with up to $5 million insurance for expenses & legal fees & up to $500,000 insurance for stolen funds! There is also a discount if you pay annually. Just wanted to set the record straight as this site's info isn't correct. I have had a couple alerts since singing up. I was able to log in to my dashboard and see the details of my new car loan being reported and the suggested steps if I didn't recognize the. The second time I called the 24/7 support line about my phone # being found on the dark web. The AAA agent gave me the number to call and have my phone number added to the do not call registry and to update my passwords. I am a long time member of AAA and I have trusted them on the road for years so it was an easy choice to allow them to protect my identity as well.

Carol Seattle, WA

Okay. Nice person Zack L. has been attempting to get me into my account. I have been locked out for over 2 months since AAA transitioned over. Others just gave me run-a-round. Feels great.... ha!. Let me see if Zack L. can figure this mess out. Pay alot and locked out. DISGUSTING. Keep posted but this is INSANE. ZACK L. IS VERY NICE. IF HE GETS THIS ACCOMPLISHED I WILL GIVE HIM AN A AND CHANGE THIS.... JUST SICK AND TIRED OF ASKING TO GET INTO AN ACCOUNT I PAID FOR.

subfam2 Eugene, OR

I was recently offered this by AAA and signed up. Are they any good? Who knows? You can't get through to them on the phone unless you are willing to wait, and wait, and wait on the phone. So, after 16 minutes waiting, I moved on with other things I need to do.

Robin Cincinnati, OH

I have the free Protect My Id through AAA. I receive an email from Protect my ID every month telling me everything is ok. The day I applied for a used car loan, Protect My ID emailed me to say that someone had accessed my credit report. Now I would say that is extremely useful- if I had not applied for any loads or credit I would know something was wrong!

Charles Dilliard Allentown, PA

my wife and i have been locked out of our account for several years, i have been trying to cancell this account but i cant because i am told i have the wrong pin numbers.

fred West Hartford, CT

I just signed up for this service thru AAA. Shame on AAA. A far as I can tell, it is NEXT TO WORTHLESS! Most of the pages just try to sell me additional protection services. Some of the services they try to sell , I can request BY LAW FOR FREE. (The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months.) Since this "service" is so poor & obviously just an ad to sell their upgraded service, I would guess that AAA is getting some of the profit. This is NOT good for the image that AAA should want to project. For the price they want to charge for "upgraded" service, there are other products that will give you better service. I gave it a 1, because it is free (via AAA) and better than nothing, but just barely