Select Home Warranty Logo

Select Home Warranty

5.4

Frantz Joseph Winter Garden, FL

Home select is total scam they don’t cover nothing it’s a waste of money. Everyone should stay away I purchase a 3 years coverage from them it’s absolutely worthless policy 1504036

George Phoenix, AZ

By far its a scam . They pay you next to nothing for your appliances . you better off buy the extended warranty from the stores or the manufacture they will fix it or they give lot more money.

Rene King Choctaw, OK

HAHAHA PLEASE for the love of God. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS JOKE OF A COMPANY. We had them for 3 years. They literally didn't cover ANYTHING. Everytime we filed a claim they never sent anyone out, and accused us of improper mantience.. Save the headache, the time and your hard earned money. They have no desire to help anyone only to pocket the money you've paid.

Ali Naimi Sunnyvale, CA

Select Home Warranty One of the worst companies. they simply don't fix anything. I have called them for 4 separate items in my home in the past year and for each of them, they have found a reason not to cover! including washer dryer, AC, and electrical problems. they are cheap but for a reason, they don't fix anything. so save money and time and don't buy a select home warranty.

Peggy Wolford Winter Park, FL

Do not do business with this company. They take their time to resolve a claim and do not pay on a claim. My air conditioner died. Inspector said it could not be fixed. Select then wanted pictures of the old condenser. Two days later they want last 3yrs maintenance. (I maintain a/c myself). Small clause in contract says they require this before honoring contract. Now 3weeks later they will only pay $150 I replaced a/c at cost of $11,196. Tried to cancel contract and they want $75 to cancel! Do not do business with this privately owned company

Andre Blount Amherst, VA

Select home warranty refused to repair my ac unit stating that the electrical wasn't covered when it is clearly part of the service I was paying for. They sent multiple companies out to check the ac unit and although the serviceman didn't leave the unit how they found it select declared that my home wasn't properly maintained and simply refused to repair the unit. Select decided they weren't going to fix the unit and used every excuse not to do so. They are not worth the headache you'll having trying to get any assistance for repairs.

Talesha Little Little Rock, AR

You will be pleased to know this insurance company doesn't even deserve one star. We have now been loyal customers to them for a little over 4 years. When we started out using this insurance company they seemed reliable and committed to the concerns of their patrons; however, within the last two years they have been unprofessional, slow with following up on our claims, and to be honest a waste of our time and money. I would not recommend them to anyone and I'm very displeased with the services they have provided.

Michelle Gant Wyandanch, NY

I live in Florida and it is very hot. We had water leaking from the ceiling of our hall closet. Turns out I have a leaky air duct. I called SHW and filed a claim. Waited two brutal days with no air for a technician to get in touch with me. After two days I received an email telling me to call back , and that there was a question about my claim. When I called the agent said that my claim was never processed because there was not enough info. I said how can this be? I explained in full detail what the problem was. It has been four days with no air and it is 95 degrees in my house. Still waiting for a technician to call me. Some issues such as plumbing and air conditioning should be made a priority. After reading all of the horrible reviews on several websites, I am now regretting going with this company. I have a feeling I will be suffering for a while. Should have done more research.

Ian Rapoport Summit, NJ

My Horrible experience I have owned several homes and worked as a realtor for over 30 years. I have never had such an awful experience. After a technician came, it appeared he did not know what he was doing, sure enough he did not fix anything but billed me. My many calls to the company just patronized me but never reimbursed me. I called and called and sent the company the documentation they wanted. This was the worst experience I had with a home owner's warranty. They kept billing me after I cancelled. I plan on filling a complaint with the BBB. I would recommend staying away from possibly having a similar experience. I usually do not submit reviews however I do not want anyone else to experience this.

Kam Williams Powder Springs, GA

Please do NOT spend your money with this "Home Warranty" company. As a new customer to Select Home Warranty I am very disappointed and upset that I spent my money purchasing a policy with this company. This company has reimbursement issues, "hidden" probation periods of service, unexpected costs issues, misleading and lack of information when speaking with personnel, as well as poor communication when being transferred to different departments. In any "emergency" repair situation Select Home Warranty is *** the company to call. Heaven forbid if there is a leak or plumbing issue in your home, you would have an entire swimming pool in your home before Select Home Warranty would send someone over to repair, IF they actually felt like taking the time out of their busy schedules to find a plumbing service nearest to you. Their "reimbursement" is a joke. They will ask for invoices indicating the service that was performed (that you pay for AFTER you pay for the policy) and will give you a refund of only $150. If anyone wanted to pay $300 - $500 for a home repair, then a home warranty policy wouldn't be needed. Long story short, I felt like I had been duped, and wish that I had read more reviews about Select Home Warranty company before I signed up with this circus. One pro to this company is that they have a **** of a sales team, because the person that sold me the policy did a great job of selling the paper that the policy documents were printed on, and an excellent job at concealing what a fraud Select Home Warranty company really is.

Eliana Becerra Charlotte, NC

I have had Select Home Warranty for a few years, with 2 of my rental properties. My experiences lately have not been satisfactory, they always have a fine print to deny coverage, and if they agree to cover they offer a ridiculous amount of money to replace a unit. My most recent experience was with an AC unit, the tenant turned it on for the first time this summer and the breaker was jumping frequently, the technician came and saw the refrigerator was a little low, but said that would not be a reason for the issue, the breaker outside was bad, to the point that when he reassembled the whole unit, it would not turn on again, he had to wiggle with the breaker so that the unit would turn on. He said that was most likely the root of the problem, and he submitted a request to change it. SHW's decision was not to cover it, because the refrigerator was low, which was not the most likely cause of the issue, but since it happens to be a little low on refrigerator, they won't cover anything else. I am tired of their schemes and wont be renewing, look somewhere else if you are set to get a home warranty.

Karen Kunkle Navarre, FL

When making a claim they tell us someone will contact us within 24 hours to come out and provide the service for our items. It takes many phone calls to SHW and requesting to speak with a supervisor to finally get a service tech to come to the house. Then when the tech identifies the issues, it takes another week for SHW to approve the work or to make an offer (Very low) on replacing the unit. Their customer service is very terrible, to say the least! When asking for a supervisor, we were told they are busy and will call us back that same day. Never receive the call from the supervisor!! If you are thinking about getting a home warranty, DON'T go with SHW! Do some research with consumer reports, then make a selection. I would have rated them zero stars, but don't think that's possible.

Rohit Prabhakar Eden Prairie, MN

They always have a fine print to decline coverage! They never get back in time Only way to open claim is to call and customer service executives struggle understanding the issue (English). You call them for cancellation they charge $75 cancellation fee and all claims paid before adding the genuine pro-rated use of policy. They play all used car sales tactics to sell and then avoid cancellation OVERALL - Customer looses every time. Most 5 STAR REVIEWS seem unreal, please click and read those reviewers and you will find they don't seem real people! I have 3 properties with them and for sake of saving $ I excitedly took warranty from them. If your furnace dies, they have one part or 2 that are not covered hence they will not replace furnace. If water heater dies, they will not cover one thing or other hence they will not cover. WORST was fixing a small issue with my washer which took 1 + year as Tech wanted a part + screw. They didn't send a screw for 1 year hence the tech never came to fix it. I called 5-8 times with average 25 mins talk+wait but it never happened. Finally I paid a handyman to just fix it.

Janet Naples, FL

This company is a rip off, their main objective is not to pay your claim. When you to file a claim and a repair man comes to your home they cannot repair anything. They have to submit a claim and return to do the repair if it is approved. It is a lengthy process you could take you over a month to have something repaired. Imagine living in Florida and 90° weather and no AC. Even when dealing with some of their executive management your results can be poor. They do not answer the phone calls or return emails. My recommendation is do not buy this warranty plan keep your money and get your repairs done yourself

Ted Gonzales Albuquerque, NM

First time not ready to say anything except the first call was courteous and professional! But they seem to want you to add more to your warranty! Which again is costly to fixed income home owners!

Mohammad Nasir Dallas, TX

100 % SCAM SCAM SCAM. If you are looking for home warranty then you are a new homebuyer just like me. The mistake I made is I went through online reviews. if you are on the same boat then don't commit same mistake. just ask your neighbor/family/friend if they have home warranty. I am pretty much sure that they don't have it. because existing home owners don't fall for this trap or they have been through it. I asked my friend and my neighbor after I fell into the select home warranty trap and they told me exactly the same story of 100$ as below. So don't go by my review, just get personal advice from your friend or neighbor before taking any home warranty. or go by reddit forums, as all the positive reviews on google or BBB are fake and bought by money. So below is the story. if you are a new home buyer then please read as I want you to save from an ordeal as it is very stressful and will ultimately drain you out mentally and monetarily 1. I was sold select home warranty policy by an agent with the promise that in case of any issue they will fix my appliance or replace it with an equivalent one. He also boasted about a good coverage of technicians in my area. He also said that I can cancel my warranty within 2 months if I don't like the service. i paid for the entire year(they will prey you to get yearly service) 2. My A/C broke down 2 months back 3. I called select home warranty and they raised a claim 4. 24 hours later there was no update from SHW(select home warranty) 5. I called them and they said that they don't have any technicians in my area. they gave me an option to hire my own technician and they will reimburse me the expense minus the service fees 6. I didn't accepted the offer as i don't want to go through the hassle of reimbursement process 7. This goes on and on for 2 weeks. can you imagine they couldn't find a technician for 2 weeks 8. after 2 weeks i gave up and opted for my own technician as it was getting hot 9. technician came and gave me the estimate and he talked to SHW agent and over the phone we got the approval for repair 10. SHW agent promised to reimburse money over the phone minus service fees 11. I paid the full money to my technician and my A/C was fixed 12. Now I sent the invoice to SHW and they kept it hanging for a week 13. After that i got reimbursement check of just 125$, which is ridiculous for A/C repair cost 14. I checked with my neighbor and friends and they told me the same story of 100$ reimbursement only or not covering the cost at all 15.i called SHW and asked them to cancel my service. they told me that there will be 75$ cancellation fees WTH 16. They tried to retain me by saying that they will do better in next issue LOL so if you have fallen for their service and reading this then I would suggest to do below 1. write reviews in as many place so that people can be made aware of this scam 2. dispute charge with credit card company as they are doing false advertising. let the credit card investigate and made aware of malpractice of this company 3. I am writing a complaint to FTC so please do that as well 4. They know that 99% of the people are busy in their life and won't write to FTC or review 5. That's why they make money because it is a win-win situation for them. if you don't get any issue for a year then they make money. if you get an issue then they make money by not paying you and knowing that you won't complain. 6.it is 500$ average for an year per user. but with so many new home buyer they are raking in millions with this scam 7. because they know there won't be any returning customer so they are just preying on new home buyer so don't go by just the reviews. do some due diligence at a personal level as well. If you can find one person with any home warranty(not just SHW) with a positive review then go with that. otherwise I will suggest saving the money for warranty in an account and use it for your repair. In that way you will have a lot more mental peace.

Anne Drobnitch Greeley, CO

If only I could give zero or negative stars, I would. I got this warranty in spring 2020 and I thought I was in good hands. The first thing that happened was about six months later, I called because my clothes dryer was acting up, and a very rude person was assigned to me. Told me that I was not covered because I hadn't kept up the annual maintenance on the appliance. NOT TRUE - I did keep up the maintenance, and, if you examine the contract, SHW supposedly does NOT require annual maintenance. Finally gave up with SHW when the dryer quit acting up. Two weeks ago, it started acting up again. Still waiting for service, and the service people hang up on me the minute they hear Select Home Warranty. We shall see what happens........

jsr4 Naples, FL

The worst company i have ever dealt with. I have had a select home warranty insurance policy for over a year and just had to file my first claim as my microwave stopped working. Instead of having someone come out to assess the issue, I received an email stating that I would only be reimbursed $95 and it was their prerogative to do so as stated in their contract. "In lieu of replacing a system or appliance that is deemed irreparable or it is not cost effective to repair, said determination being made by Select, Select may choose to pay a cash settlement for the irreparable component of the system or appliance. Select is not responsible for installation. The cash settlement shall be in an amount not to exceed the depreciated value of the component/appliance being replaced;" How can they deem it irreparable or not cost effective to repair if no one even came out to take a look? My claim simply said "Microwave will not turn on." I purchased appliance insurance thinking that if my appliance breaks, they will either repair or replace it with one of similar value. However, it's more convenient for them to calculate the depreciated value of my appliances and pay a fraction of what I need to fix or replace it. I was never informed of this clause and was completely misled. This is 100% a scam and I will be forced to pay at least $300 out of pocket plus installation fees. I will be cancelling this policy ASAP and hope that this review helps to warn others from falling into this trap.

level x Wichita, KS

When I originally sign up representative didn’t send my contract information over as agreed. I make a claim 2 weeks later no response I call then they assign the claim the contractor finally came he diagnosed the problem said it was approved but I need to make the full payment and select home warranty will send me a check out I call select home warranty they said they never received anything finally I received an email saying it was something else other than what the contractor told me at first so now it is not covered. It’s all a scam and was very unprofessional because the contractor state they have problems receiving payment from the warranty company so they let customers pay then warranty pay the customers back

Alireza Tajick Vienna, VA

The worse home warranty company. I would rate this company ZERO. Please do not waste your money. The deny most claims without even dispatching contractors. Dishonest sales representative sold me a “3 year- VIP comprehensive” plan. They do not even cover the most basic home appliances. They sound polite in he phone but just keep denying claims and all they do offer apologies. No integrity. I even emailed and sent a letter to their owner/ CEO. I receive no response except silence. I have been using home advisor for most repairs. Shame on select company entering clients into deceptive contracts then I have to call handymen and home advisor for repairs. Please do not trust their deceptive ratings.

Psr Clermont, FL

Worst scam home warranty company out there. Just ask them to sent anything they offer in a written email. (Not a link). They won’t do it because they will not hold up any of there deals. They will repair what ever is broken with at best a bandage and never like kind replacement. They words were “it is not cost effective to replace things with the same device or unit. There is always a creeper way. “ I had a google learning thermostat and a train A/c. They band aided the ac after it was struck by lightning and replaced my smart thermostat with an analog thermostat. After calling the Indian support center many times and getting ran in circles they ask me to show them where in the contract it said they would replace anything. I went to the email they sent with the contract and the link did not exist any more.

Nicole Grant Raleigh, NC

Whole warrenty program is a HUGE SCAM! Nothing is covered. Poor customer service. Forget trying to get a manager. I bought the platinum plan. Tub was leaking the technician couldn't find the leak and cut through ceiling, which cost a lot extra. To find out one of my knobs just needed to be tightened and I had to hire someone else to fix the ceiling. Front door light stopped working, but wasn't covered by the plan bc the light was outside my front door. Freezer was leaking into fridge, repairman didn't fix it the first time. Its been over a month and I am still waiting for it to be fixed. Oven stopped working and they couldn't fix it. Never replaced it. They only have me $100 towards a new oven, since it was 7 years old.

Alex Milhous Madison Heights, VA

This company is a SCAM. Save yourself money, and don't get a warranty from them. My furnace went out and they refused to let my service provider fix it until they "researched the parts". It took a MONTH. I had to sleep in a freezing cold house for a month so they could research parts. I called multiple times a day and would only get told "give us another business day or 2". I finally got someone on the phone that said they couldn't research the parts because they didn't have the part number. When I asked why, they said " oh, we just haven't called and asked for it yet". They do this on purpose to try to get you to go ahead and pay for the service so that they don't have to reimburse you. In the end, they didn't even cover the entire fix, and I had to pay extra. I have been trying to cancel my policy and get a prorated refund, but they have so many "fees and deductions" that I'm only getting 35% back from a 5 year contract that I only had for 1 year.

Beverly Hopkins Charlotte, NC

Select Home Warranty and there associates are responsive and took great care to ensure that my furnace problem was resolved in a very timely manner!

Select Home Warranty Logo

Reply from Select Home Warranty

Thank you for your feedback !

Jan. 18th, 2021

Donna Burns Albuquerque, NM

Select home warranty kept texting me about the progress of finding someone in this difficult time very excellent care I thank you so much everyone

Elaine Key

The pool company they assigned has taken too long to diagnose and repair. Then they are making me pay up front and get reimbursement. Uptown pool says select has not been paying them so I have to pay the them and get reimbursement from select. This totally unacceptable. I will be looking for a different warranty company. Select also is only paying $400 of the the $473.88 it cost to get it repaired. So that means I am out the forty-five co pay and an additional $73.88 plus I have to wait to get the $400 from select.

Robert Ianarelli

My air conditioner didn't cool. The service man said there was a leak in the coil and it had to be replaced. Select said they wouldn't pay because they don't cover freon leaks even though they cover air conditioning systems. Some weeks ago I had a problem with the ice maker in my refrigerator. Again they said they cover refrigerators but not the ice maker. They seem to cover everything except what actually breaks.

Stephanie

They harass you when it's time for renewal and they don't keep notes in your file. When you call about something you already talked to them about they have no idea about previous conversations."

A. Harold

I've only had to use the service once for my dryer. Contact and response were great. Service by the technician was awesome.

Johnny Q. Brown

I really haven't had to use them yet. They were very polite in the conversations I had with their customer service concerning the coverage I was looking for.

Donna Kirkes Wichita, KS

Have never received any proof of membership or service information don't get any reply when I try to contact for a service contract. I haven't used service much yet but do expect service contract like other companies provide."

Jameson berry Logan, UT

They've been fair prompt and friendly. The only thing I would say bad about them is they try to repair stuff that is just going to keep braking every month.

Beth Vernon Lexington, NC

So far I've had 2 claims neither of which have I been sent any reimbursement. I've received the offers of what would be paid and since these were highly in adequate for the amount of money I paid out of pocket for just one of the claims. Service response for emergencies was terrible. I plan on submitting a letter of complaint as well as posting on all my social media and I will also pass on to several realtors I know as well as family members. I will also post on yelp as well.

Teresa Husbands

Very deceptive. Talks about covering all systems in the home. Neglects to mention that systems covered wil. Be pro tated for reimbursement will be based on age of said system

Derek Medeiros

best home warranty company I have used. The quality for the price is unmatched. There is no doubt I will renew when the time comes.

Sandy Cruces

Because I called about my hot water heater starting to go bad, they told me to call a plumber...when I felt that they should have paid for the hot water heater. Then I could have someone hook it up for me. And I still have a bad hot water heater.

John Gira

They are liars, and have loopholes of every kind to deny claims. Most recently, I had a problem with a very expensive built in microwave. They didn't even send out a technician! They just decided to send a check for $95 for me to send my own technician and seek to repair/replace myself. What kind of coverage is that? Some treatment for a customer who has EIGHT policies with them.

Corky Henderson Chicago, IL

The responsiveness and communication are pretty good, but some of the vendors chosen to do the work seem to cause further issues and additional money, time and effort to get to a complete repair.

Linda Drago

I put in a claim for a leak from my refrigerator and they tried to tell me what the problem was over the phone. I believe a tech should have been sent to my home to diagnose the problem. I also have cancelled my 5 year renewal, but will keep the coverage for this year. I was told that an email would be sent to me confirming my cancellation, but none has been received.

Tyrone Dalton

I was referred to J&M appliance. They scammed me financially and broke my dryer. My dryer was never repaired and I keep getting harassed by J&M appliance. I never even got my reimbursement check never even got my reimbursement check. I cannot believe the lousy customer service, My overall experience was lousy and I had to cancel my service due to being ripped off from the J&M Appliance. The company also switch parts on my dryer with broken parts and try to get me to pay out-of-pocket for repairs and I was told not to tell the warranty company my overall experience was a nightmare.

Debra Davis Los Angeles, CA

They are prompt in sending out a technician to your residence. The telephone reps remained professional during each of our telephone communications. Select Home Warranty reimbursement process is quite lengthy.

Carol Fernandez

After they approved for our A/C to be replaced. I paid the money out of my pocket and it has been almost 2 years and still have not gotten any reimbursement from them. I emailed them several times. They requested information I sent US mail return receipt they claim they never received. I sent copy showing where someone had signed for the letter. Then they claimed they needed more into. I sent and never heard from them again, Two years is a long time to wait for them to approve reimbursement.

They consistently did not help me and put off work from being done. I had my air conditioner go out, and I live in the state of Florida. I had to call them sixteen different time to try to get someone out just to diagnose the problem that time they came out to diagnose the problem the person diagnosed the problem wrong and that's unable to fix it they never the company that collect chose never came back to fix the problem last time top that select using different companies that refuse to fix my problem I went nine weeks without air conditioning.

Sharon

Yes they tell you that when you buy this policy that they'll have somebody out to fix it within twenty four to forty eight hours and it takes forever, weeks. They sold me a bill of good, they're fast talkers and I mean I was in business for myself in the home improvement business for thirty years and if I ran my business like they ran there's I have been out of business. They tell you one thing and then they do something else it's absolutely bait-and-switch.

Kathy

I thought I was getting a better home warranty company than I previously had. Yes my washing machine broke and I was told when I bought the warranty and an extended warranty and I spent a load of money with this company and they told me that they would replace anything that washing machine was broken and when it came down to it they give me some all crap about what they can only give me a check for this much instead of actually replacing the appliance which is what I was told what happened. They are very difficult to work. with... I'm not pleased with this company at all.

Kapil

I had an understanding that they were going to repair or replace, and they didn't really do that for my dishwasher, which is just kind of sitting in limbo right now. I'm not impressed at all.

James

I've made calls about my air conditioner and they respond timely and appropriately. I've had the policy about two years. I called them and asked them to take a look at my AC when it quit cooling and of course within a day or so somebody was there told me what was wrong with it and once again Select Home Warranty wouldn't cover it. I am not very happy with it I am not renewing my policy and since I already spent the money out of pocket for the AC unit,

Vicki

I had the garbage disposal and ceiling fan go and they replaced them for a good price, it just is taking forever to get the reimbursement for the ceiling fan.

Janet

I have had some difficulties working with select home warranty in terms of how long it takes to get issues dealt with that should be covered according to my policy. There doesn't seem to be any follow up, I end up on a forty five minute phone call almost every time because I have problems. They are deceptive. I think the warranty should have a relationship with the service provider. I wouldn't recommend select home warranty to anybody.

Janet

So far we're very happy we have them. We had one call and they did an excellent job and they handled it quickly and efficiently.