Home Warranty of America Logo

Home Warranty of America

5.4

LAST UPDATED: June 7th, 2023

Home Warranty of America (HWA) has been in business since 1996 and considers itself a leader in the home warranty industry. The home warranty company places priority on taking care of the environment, evidenced by the GreenPlus program. HWA has warranty plan options for existing homeowners, buyers/sellers, as well as real estate professionals. Read Home Warranty of America reviews below to see what consumers have to say about the warranty service provider.

The Good

• Nationwide Coverage
  • Easily Accessible Quotes/Warranty Plan Information
  • Trade Service Call Fee Options
  • GreenPlus option
  • Online Claims
  • No Inspection Required

Nationwide Coverage

Home Warranty of America offers home warranties to all fifty states and the District of Columbia.

Easily Accessible Quotes/Warranty Plan Information

Warranty contract prices differentiate depending on the state, but once a customer's state is selected for buyers/sellers, existing homeowners, or real estate professionals, warranty plans are laid out very simply and comprehensively. A full list of covered services is displayed along with two payment options, including dozens of optional services that can be added for a fee.

Sample coverage for the Premier Plan and the Premier Plus plan are as follows:

• Water heater including tankless
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Whirlpool bathtub
  • Electrical system
  • Ceiling fans and exhaust fans
  • Doorbells, burglar & fire alarm systems
  • Central vacuum
  • Dishwasher
  • Garbage disposal
  • Built-in microwave
  • Range/oven/cooktop
  • Trash compactor
  • Garage door system
  • Kitchen refrigerator w/ ice maker
  • Washer/dryer package

Premier Plus Plan: $53.46/mo with a $75 service fee

• Everything included in the Premier Plan
  • Air conditioning system/cooler
  • Increases toilet replacement up to $500
  • Plumping - fixtures, faucets, shower heads, stoppages/clogs

Trade Service Call Fee Options

Home Warranty of America lets you choose between two service call fee options for its warranty plans: $100 for a lower monthly/yearly cost, or $75 for a higher monthly/yearly cost. This gives customers the option to decide if they would prefer a cheaper service call fee or a cheaper monthly/yearly home warranty contract.

GreenPlus Option

Home Warranty of America is a member of Ethical Directory and United States Green Products. With that being said, the company offers a service known as GreenPlus for an additional fee. For $5.77/month, the GreenPlus add-on covers appliances that need to be replaced with Energy Star-qualified products, including the dishwasher, refrigerator, clothes washer, and others.

Online Claims

HWA offers an online claim process when you sign in with your account information on its website. This makes it easy for customers to submit a claim to repair or replace a household appliance whenever they desire, no matter what day or time it is.

No Inspection Required

Home Warranty of America does not require an appliance inspection to receive warranty coverage. There is no age restriction on any covered appliances, regardless of any normal wear and tear. This can give homeowners peace of mind that they do not have to go through a lengthy process before setting up warranty coverage with HWA.

The Bad

• Poor Customer Service
  • One-year Warranty Contract

Poor Customer Service

The majority of the customer feedback that the company receives speaks at length about poor customer service. Some customers feel that company promises are not kept. See additional Home Warranty of America reviews below to see what else customers have to say about the company.

One-year Warranty Contract

Home warranty of America requires a one-year warranty contract. Some home warranty providers offer month-to-month or quarterly plans. This might prove to be problematic for customers who do not want to sign a long-term contract.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

The Bottom Line

On the surface, Home Warranty of America seems like a solid company. Basic warranty plans offer extensive coverage on over twenty appliances and systems throughout the home. Options for more eco-friendly services may also be very attractive to some customers. Customers who are particular about searching companies that are environmentally friendly might want to give a serious look to Home Warranty of America. The company has affordable home warranties for a variety of people, including homeowners, real estate professionals, and buyers/sellers. However, there are Home Warranty of America reviews that detail poor customer service, and the company requires a one-year contract. Read more Home Warranty of America reviews below to see how the company measures up compared to other home warranty providers.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

2.4

E. R. Austin, TX

This entity is a total rip off!!!! They consistently use obscure, holistic reasoning that could pertain to any situation and would allow them to obfuscate when repairs are needed

Mrs Flowers Irving, TX

HWA has been our Home Warranty for 8 years. They have been good for our home and pretty convenient to use. Their pricing for this year though, has been much higher so we are searching out a new home warranty supplier. Thanks HWA for the years you've helped us keep our home in good working order.

Paul Wunderlick Frisco, TX

They want $100 service call every time you have a problem. If the problem is not fixed properly, they want another $100. I cancelled after 15 years over $100 because they wanted another $100 for a third visit to repair a dryer for the same problem.. They didn't even seem to care after 15 years. I moved on to a better company.

Andrew

It took over a month to get my refrigerator fixed. I had to take off work 5 different times. When I explained my experience to HWA and let them know I would likely not renew my contract unless they could do something for me, I was only offered a simple apology. No attempt to retain my business, no offer for a discounted renewal, or no trade fees for a certain time period. Just "sorry about that". This tells me they truly do not care about their customer's satisfaction.

ALICE ANDERSON Carrollton, TX

My water heater went out at the end of April. The plumber they sent started talking about how his son was in jail for drugs. When we requested someone else, there was another service fee and worse, no one available for a few days. So we decided on the "cash out" option and replaced it with our local plumber (who did a great job the same day!). Then all the problems started. Their plumber stated $650 to replace the water heater and $830 for add-ons. I tried to negotiate the cash-out, but they insisted that $650 was what they would offer. Then on next call, they said, no, just $500, as they said they had to pay the plumber $150 to come out and look. Then on subsequent calls to HWA, they also said we owed the $75 service call! That brings down the total "cash out" to $425, after they held me ransom for $75! Absurd for a 50-gallon gas water heater. Now it's July, nearly SEVEN WEEKS, and I still haven't seen their $500 check. I have called repeatedly, and each time I get promised a call back. Still no call, NO check! I can't even get through to a supervisor, always "busy"!! No wonder why! Things started out great a few years ago, but have steadily gone downhill. Do NOT deal with these people! Run away, don't walk. They lie, they have crooked contractors working for them and they delay making things right.

Jasmine

As a first time home owner, I thought I was being responsible requesting that the seller purchase me a home warranty policy. If I knew the seller would choose Home Warranty of America, I would have shelled out the cash to do my research and choose another company. I've filed 4 claims with HWA and every single one has been denied. The initial policy from the seller did not include washer/dryer coverage so I added it --thinking it is the only appliance in my home without coverage. When my washer experienced a mechanical failure, I called to initiate a claim in which HWA sent a vendor. The vendor recommended replacement and HWA denied the claim stating I should not have been able to make a claim within 30 days of initiating the policy. I didn't quite understand why HWA sent a vendor to my home in full knowledge of this policy and not making me aware. I requested a refund and discovered when following up that the refund was never issued. I am still awaiting the refund after several weeks when they indicated it should take 7-10 business days. The second claim was for the hot water in my shower in which HWA sent a "certified plumber" who I actually found out in casual conversation was a psychologist by education who decided to never go into the field. Instead he joined the family business as a "plumber". He made the decision to replace my entire faucet to address the hot water issue. He installed the faucet. He installed it backwards with the hot water indicator on the cold water side and the cold water indicator on the hot side. The hot water pressure was also very low and only provided me with warmer water, but not hot water. I called the plumber back out to address the issue and instructed him he needed to install the faucet properly. He did so, but the hot water was still not hot and he explained that the issue was actually my water heater. The third claim came with my hot water heater. The second plumber sent by HWA explained that the hot water heater was not the reason why my hot water did not function in my shower. The issue was that the first "plumber" was not skilled enough to make a simple adjustment to provide me with hot water. After making this adjustment, he also made the observation that my hot water heater should be replaced due to several signs of a dying water heater with noise and sediment. HWA denied the claim and told me water had to be leaking or the water heater had to stop producing any hot water before it could be replaced. Then, explained that they don't cover what my water heater was malfunctioning for as part of their exclusions (which seems like a limitless list aka whatever they feel like denying). I explained that I didn't want my water heater to get to the point of leaking water in my condo and make further damage to my unit or neighbors. I asked to speak to a manager to reconsider the issue. I was told one would call me in 24-48 hours. I didn't receive a call. I called back every other day to speak to the manager and after a week was able to speak to a supervisor who told me a higher department would call me but could not provide me with a time and he did not have any updates. After several days, I still never received a call. I filed 2 complaints one with the representative and one with the supervisor. He told me I would receive a follow-up call to address the 2 complaints. I did not receive a call. After 2 weeks of never receiving a call from HWA, I called and was routed to another supervisor who explained that managers or higher level departments never interact with the customer and I would not be receiving a call. He explained that a supervisor is the highest I will ever speak to. He was very rude, speaking over me and interrupting me. I explained that I would like to know my options on canceling my policy. Not only does HWA have an excuse for why they do not cover anything, they also have terrible customer service in which the supervisor interrupted to tell me again to say, "That is your opinion" He explained that since none of my claims were covered, my refund for the policy would be less $30 administrative fee as well as the cost of any claims that were not covered. I explained to him that my refund should not be less the faucet replacement by the initial plumber because he did not fix the issue and it is seriously questionable that the faucet needed to be replaced given the second plumber made an adjustment and I had hot water. The supervisor told me that I was not a certified plumber and that was my opinion. However, as I explained, the initial plumber was actually a psychologist. I inquired about the amount of the refund I would receive minus the claims. He told me that information would never be provided to me. I would just have to take whatever check they sent me and told me I might as well keep the policy until its expiration. Seems really fishy to me. The fourth claim was the garage door which was an added policy by the seller. That claim was denied as well. Honestly, I am at the point where I would take 2 cents refund from HWA just to go with a company that actually values and respects their customers. I hope it does not get to that point and HWA and I can reach a successful resolution. However, given the lack of respect I received from several representatives of the company, I am highly considering American Home Shield home warranty company.

Diego Dominguez Riverside, CA

They denied my claim because I did not do a Home Inspection. But "yes" they took my money and hide the HI requirement in the little hard to read notes of the contract.

Alston D Feaster

We were given a year free and thought it best to keep it. However, when the A/C goes out on a hot day, we had to wait for "their" person to come...a few days later. For each issue (2 or 3), we had to wait days on their company. Instead, why not get the service first then turn it in under warranty. It's a horrible concept and business model. We can't wait days for the HVAC to be fixed, or an appliance to go out. So we wasted $700 for a service that can't be used, unless they say when and with whom. After this year is up, no more HWA.

Nelson

contacted on 10/1/2017 no heat in my house and this company wants me to wait 4 days without heat! This an example of HWA's customer service, and the customer service reps. just give you excuses why they can't do their job.

Jill Castle Indian Trail, NC

Horrible. Vendor requested cash before finishing the job. No calls back from Customer Service after weeks of No A/C in the heat of Texas. Save your money. Do NOT use HWA.

Barbara Fritz

This company will not help you. They feel you to pay for your service the first $60.00 they contact them They will get someone to come out but can take up to two weeks. Awful company.

william w ayers

this company is a rip off , i had one of the installer come out for my a/c said it need to be replace . that was 5 weeks a go and i live in Florida. finally ended up contacting me after i contacted them several times to find out what was going on. inform me that it would be 1003.00 out of my pocket to fix . will not cover for a torch, vacuum , electrical , and several other items. the installer stated to me this was part of the install they should be paying for this. after yielding at them they cut if down to 738.00 WOW. they call it modification that are not covered in my contact and i pay for premier thinking i would be fully covered . i wish i had the money to fight this with a lawyer because companies should't get away with this.i feel that i was mislead nothing is broken down in my contract it just said there could be modifications not covered. please beware don't trust this company and make sure to do your research on line , come to find reviews are not very good with HWA .

B Belton, TX

We knew they were a problem early on when they questioned the pool technician about replacing a pump because they had already replaced one...our system has 3 pumps. Then when we needed our noisy ceiling fan replaced they refused to replace it because it was still operable...chirps like seagulls in a feeding frenzy. They don't replace for noise (which was clearly reported on the call that is was only noisy) only inoperable, but still sent out a technician and we were charged for that.

Paula Morrell Apopka, FL

TERRIBLE COMPANY!! Someone came out to "fix" our dishwasher and we paid $100.00. The next time we used our dishwasher it didn't work. Called them and they sent someone else out. I asked them if I would be responsible for $100.00. They said no. The guy came out and "fixed it" again. Never heard from them. I received an invoice on 12/6/17 saying I owed the $100.00. I called them on 12/7/17 telling them that I don't owe the money per the last customer representative I spoke to. I disputed the second charge on 12/7/17 and they "sent it for further review." I called back on 12/15/17 as I hadn't heard from anyone and received another invoice and they said that it was reviewed on 12/7/17 and that I owed the money. I didn't know they worked so fast. They also locked me out of my online account and suspended my contract because I hadn't paid. Let's all remember that I just got the first invoice on 12/6/17. On 12/15/17 I asked to speak to a supervisor and no one was available. I also asked the man to tell me how much the part was and he said he can't see how much it is. I requested to speak to someone who can tell me that information and he told me there is no one to speak to regarding that information. I told him that I would be able to check myself if I wasn't locked out of my account for an invoice that was sent 9 DAYS AGO! I told him I would wait for a supervisor then said "sorry I can't transfer anyone either." The point is that everyone there is useless, pathetic and not helpful. STAY AWAY!

JoNan Foster Anna, TX

Horrible service or rather non-service, complete waste of money. Never pays on claims and finds any excuse not to pay. A total rip-off, we have had three claims and none have paid, final straw was water heater going out two days before Christmas, HWA gave us name of two plumbers, one was out of town, the other couldn't make it out for a week. Called HWA back, they said no one else is in your area. We are in Dallas area. They told us find someone on our own and then they would decide if they would remimburse us, of course they refuse to. Scam artists!!

CARLO SPICUZZA Dunnellon, FL

i had a HWA contract for over a year before I had any claim in of jun 6 2017 they send a unlicensed contractor to my home and was told that my heat pump and hair handler need to be replace I had a 13 seer 2007 carrier unit the contractor told me it was the top of the line for carrier 13 seer 2007 models. it took til l6 22 2017 before I got a replacement installed I was told that I would have a $65.00 service fee and hwa would cover all by their seel person that is a completed lie first they the contractor told me the HWA does not cover certain installation cost that cost $ 805.00 dollars then i fond out the installed a payne heat pump and air handler yes its a carrier brand but the bottom of the line quality I had issues with this unit and the contractor would not come to look at it now in jan 2018 we have had low temperature and the heat freezes and stop working until it let over 32 degrees out then it defrosts and work again during this time I switch to emergency heat but the heat srtip does not work SHAME ON YOU HWA WORST COMPANY SERVICE

Gerald T Goodnow Dandridge, TN

Currently covered by HWA , loss of heat Jan.2,2018 ,as of Jan.17,2018 still have No Heat. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. They do not return phone calls , their service providers don't show up , don't return calls , and basically do not care. Currently the temps outside is 16 degrees and it has been below freezing for 12 days out of the last 15. My thermostat inside my home reads 42 degrees , with five space heaters running constantly. In the past 17 days we have used over 6000 KW of electricity ,that's more electric used than normally used in 90 days.. STILL NO HEAT!!!!!

Tammy Holt, MO

Worst company to do business with. Took our many for over six months but once our ac unit broke they said they couldn’t prove it was working when we signed our contract. We ended up canceling with them. Never again and I would never recommend them to anyone

K Wells Elmhurst, IL

I purchased my home a few months ago and insisted on a home warranty through the purchase. I was provided a home warranty through this company. My garbage disposal was acting up shortly after we moved in. I called they sent someone out to look at it. The service person never showed up to my home. I took the day off waited all day after I realize it was getting late I made several attempts to call and email to find out where the service guy was at. I could not get a return phone call. The next day I called they stated that I needed to pay for the service person because I was not home at the time that they arrived. I tried to explain I was home all day and waited for them and took the day off of work. They said that was not true that I was not home and if I did not pay for the service fee my account would be suspended. I refuse to pay my account is now suspended. I have made several attempts with this company to rectify the situation with no help. I've asked to talk to a manager I was told none are available. I was told someone will call me back to get through the situation and resolve it I'm still waiting for phone calls back. My suggestion is stay away from this company they are a fraud.

5 years ago Edited September 14, 2021

J C

Horrible customer svc, experience with a emergency claim and found that a on call person spoke with svc person Mike and he told the on call person not to allow us to speak with anyone...

Chris butcher

This company’s business model is to take your money and provide little to no service. Otherwise known as fraud. We obtained a home warranty policy from the sellers when we bought our home. Within a few weeks our dishwasher started acting up. We contacted HWA who scheduled a service call. We paid 100 bucks to the guy who said the problem was the mother board. He was supposed to order it and get back to us. He never did. After a month, and no fewer than 20 calls to HWA, they authorized a second service provider who agreed it was the motherboard. They told us we didn’t have to pay another 100 bucks, but guess what? Turns out we did. The changed the motherboard but it didn’t work. We called HWA and they said we’d have to get a new dishwasher. After two months without one, we were like “yay”. Turns out they’re sending a third service provider out and that we’ll have to pay another 100 bucks. I think this is their MO. They wear you down until you quit and just buy a new one yourself. Fraud, fraud, fraud. Someone should start a class action suit; I’d sign on.

Tina Lin Kissimmee, FL

Like everyone else, horrible customer service, they will do anything to make sure your issue is not covered under warranty, you cannot understand the person on the other line and the ones you do they are very rude and unprofessional.

Matthew Polk Flanders, NJ

Worst company and customer service I have ever dealt with. They do not have any local service people and when you get your own, they don't pay a dime. Run from this company.

Sylvia Doggett Windermere, FL

I agree with Chris Butcher! A class action law suit might get their attention. My situation is far to extensive and frustrating to go into which HWA doesn’t seem the least concerned.

Jenette Williams Roseville, CA

Too bad I found out about them after I had an emergency that they took about a week to get a service person to look into. The word "emergency" did not register with them. I ended up getting someone else to handle my problem. I agree there should be a class action against them.

JChiles Springfield, IL

Worst customer service I have encountered in a long time. I've been getting lied to and run around for 4 days just to get a compressor replaced on my A/C meanwhile I'm trying to sleep in an 85 degree house. For what I've paid them over the past 2 years I could have had it done in a day.

Kimberly Tsiga Newburgh, IN

I would give 0 stars if I could . We are now three weeks and no AC in a house that reads in the 90s. Repeated calls to them has only resulted in lies and excuses. The first guy didn’t know their policies. Supposedly our coil was on the way that was over a week ago and it still hasn’t arrived and the last phone call to them and now I’m hearing they have the wrong shipping number . This is all just a bunch of bs. They keep telling me that someone will call me yet no one does. They keep telling us someone will be in contact with our local contractor yet no one ever is. Their customer service is completely useless and shady they never have any information and refuse to allow you to speak to the department that is suppose to have the info .

Derrick Montgomery, TX

This company should be shut down. Horrid service Employees are a joke! No warranty is better than having this company.! Stay away

James Boone Clarksville, TN

If I could leave a 0 I would. Absolutely the WORST customer follow up follow thru!! I requested an AC buyout in June & was REPEATEDLY told that my claim would be answered within 24-48 hours. I was optimistic & I understand things take time, but 3 months to get the manufacturers specs from the HVAC Contractor??! I found it in under 2 minutes from a Google search, but because I wasn’t their vendor they wouldn’t accept it. Refunds are not even a real thing with this company. They’re definitely a profit margin driven business. Home Warranty of America should change their name to Home Warranty Thieves of America, I feel like I’ve been robbed for the last 2 years. And if I had found this page before I signed on with them they would’ve never been able to keep their hand in my wallet.

SuriTJN Pflugerville, TX

This is by far the worst Home Warranty provider I've ever had to do business with. They try to scam the customers out of additional service fee cost, if you have two AC units at your home and both are not working right when you file a claim they try to make you pay for two service fees for the same problem you are reporting at that time when you tell them your AC unit isn't working they are not cooling your house. If I could give this company a Negative number I would. The representatives refuse to give you supervisors names. They tell you they will call you back but never do. Then they close out your claims without telling you because you are disputing charges that they are supposed to cover but are refusing to pay because they are trying to make you pay additional service fee charges. They don't write down any of the notes or discussions you had with the representative at that time of the claim to make it look like you didn't have any issues because they close out the claim with no notes. HWA is by far the worst home warranty provider. Save yourself time and headaches and just save your money. The amount I paid to renew the service contract I could have just put towards the cost of the repairs myself.

Dominic Shaw El Paso, TX

Horrible and dishonest company. I submitted a request to have my HVAC repaired. The repair was contracted to a business with all 1-star reviews and multiple complaints of improper service. When they came out they diagnosed the issue as a broken condensate pump, which conveniently isn't covered under warranty. I ended up calling a more reputable company, and within a minute they were able to determine that the condensate pump was perfectly fine and there was simply a component not plugged in (may have been unplugged by another contractor). HWA charged me $75 for the initial improper diagnosis which was either intentionally dishonest or completely incompetent. I called to dispute the charge, and after multiple calls and emails never received a response. I finally called and demanded an answer at which point they simply said they would not refund the charge and would not provide an explanation. Dishonest company with horrible service, I would have been much better off with no warranty at all.

Maria T Hampton, VA

I made a two service calls one was for AC problems and one was for a plumber and both were for companies far away from me. One guy was nice called and checked up on me the other plumber tried to scam me.

Wendy C Snellville, GA

HWA is frustrating for quite a few reasons, all claims representatives (it is always 1 of 4 that answers) are in Guatemala. Only one is really hard to understand with her accent, and she is also the one that seems least knowledgeable. Two of the gentlemen, Dennis and one I can't remember his name are always so nice and helpful, at least as helpful as they can be - they have zero authority. Alex the 3rd gentleman is not very polite and never comes across as understanding. We have had to have three appliances serviced since June and each one as been a complete pain! We have the top tier plan and it was expensive, so it is very disappointing so far. Washer, 3 visits and then we told parts were on order and by mid August, I called and they informed me that I had to decide on a payout or a new washer they provide. I am a working mom, married to a teacher with 3 children. I had been waiting for an update since early July. I guess they were hoping I would just never call?!?! Dryer, 3 visits, 1st to identify problem and then order part. 2nd visit comes with part and issues was misdiagnosed, so the part was not what was needed and new part had order. 3rd visit, correct part and a horribly rude and disrespectful tech, the dryer is finally repaired - too bad I don't have a working washer to match it. Dishwasher - we are at 6 visits, 4 techs and 2 companies and my dishwasher is actually worse than it was on 7/1/18 when this started. Almost 5 months and now end in sight! I strongly advise you to opt for a company that you find better reviews on.

Victor Lewis Durham, NC

Home Warranty of America is a frustrating company, to say the least. Their policies for arranging repairs seem intentionally obscure. If I didn't know better, I'd say there were so many rules and conditions so that they pay out as little as possible! But of course, HWA wouldn't do that. They care about their customers. That's why they only cover certain things, under certain conditions, and are very vague about what those conditions and things are until they finally get back to you after two weeks of purposeful stalling to explain why HWA is paying $60 of a $990 repair bill for your septic system in a two-sentence email. Keep your money. Save it. If you need to make repairs to your home, you're better off with this money in your pocket than in theirs.

Casandra Saint Paul, MN

HWA is the absolute worst. They are slow, hard to get a hold of, and have resolved next to NONE of our issues. We received the warranty as part of our home purchase. The companies they contract are of the lowest quality. We had a claim to fix our ice maker- after paying $165 the company deemed it unfixable and HWA would not reimburse us. We were out that money and nothing was resolved. Another claim was for our water heater- the contractor said it needed to be replaced and it took a month for HWA to decline the recommendation. Despite our contract explicitly saying replacement is allowed. DO NOT use this company.

Tony/Dee Mira Loma, CA

They are prompt and reliable. We didn’t have any issues and complaints so far.

D.P Hummelstown, PA

Poor quality customer service. They are quick to collect the $100 deductible. However they deny claims.

Michael P Sandy, UT

This company should be called Home Warranty of Botswana or wherever their employees are located. Not in America, that's for sure. Had a dishwasher go out which shouldn't be a big deal to correct. They approved our claim. Three months later and 10 technician visits to repair, literally, the same parts on the dishwasher over and over again, and we still don't have a dishwasher. When trying to explain to Home Warranty of America that they keep replacing the same parts, they literally read a script that had nothing to do with addressing the issue we were talking about. When trying to escalate the issue, the employee would say that there are no managers for me to talk to..."It's impossible." That is all the broken English speaking employee kept saying. Same thing on the next call, and the next call. When the contracted technicians finally reached the max pre approved parts replacement of 500 dollars, the warranty company finally agreed to let me speak to a manager. The manager half heartedly agreed to replace the dishwasher. The dishwasher was ordered but the logistics company they contracted through to deliver the dishwasher keep failing to keep appointments to install. When I talk to them, they say its Home Warranty of America's fault.

Alma Kansas City, MO

HWA is the worst company ever!! Don’t waste your money!! Had an issue with my water heater not working. After many calls they would not replace. Too many details!! Makes me mad ReMax that sold me my house would select this company knowing they have bad reputation!!! Save your money!!

Lane Fiala Marengo, IL

If I could give this company negative stars I would. Please take the next bit of advice it will save you sooo much aggravation: If you purchase a home with a home warranty through HWA CANCEL IT within the first 30 days and take the money. That way you can use the money to actually get your appliances working if they stop working. This company has proven to me over a 5 month period and 6 technician visits that will do NOTHING to fix covered appliances!!! I filed a claim for a washing machine in September, it is now almost February, and the claim is still open. Over the course of SIX technician visits for the same 12 YEAR OLD WASHING MACHINE the control module, motor, wiring harness were all replaced. Please understand, as with most companies, each time the technician came out someone had to be home during regular work hours. This was very inconvenient for myself and my family to accommodate 6 times. The machine STILL does not work. It now sinks up the basement because the only thing it’s been able to do since October is spit water into the drum for a few seconds then completely stop and throw several error codes. Each time (3) the malfunctions were demonstrated for the technician I needed to come down with several huge towels to soak up all the water. Even after doing so residual water is left in base of the drum since the machine can’t drain. After the 6th visit, and diagnosis (the motor and/or control module, both of which have been replaced, are not working) and waiting 2 weeks for HWA to get back to us regarding there decision, I was just informed that HWA would like to try again! A decision has been reached, they are going to replace the same two components and see if it works this time around! Yeah… I’m done dealing with them. I’m taking my bill for the new washing machine that they refuse to cover to small claims court. Do yourself a favor and cancel your plan. I wish I had!!!!!!!!!!

Jayda A S Granbury, TX

SCAM!! Don't waste your money.We have been in our home for a few months and we have spent over $1200 out of pocket dealing with our septic. We have filed 2 claims one was for a clog in bathroom, they sent someone out within a week. The second is our leach fields and septic is not draining properly and to have that covered had to wait the 30 days, that is there waiting period for adding to contract. Then after that time we have been waiting additional 20 days. We have called and gotten the same thing every-time we call. Long Long wait time, in fact as I'm leaving this review I have been on hold for 20 minutes. I am told the same thing, we are sorry it will be 24/48 hours before we know anything. That was 20 days ago! They hang up on you, transfer you to the wrong department by "mistake". They don't care about their customers. I have never had to deal with a company that as a whole they DO NOT CARE!!! They are not even based in the United States. All they do is read a script and sound like robots. Please don't use this fake garbage, joke of a company.

Nikhil Mukundan Nashua, NH

I am a current customer who is extremely disappointed with the trustworthiness of this company. Long story short - I was approved for a project for about 1600$ by this company’s customer service. When the project was over and I sent HWA the bill from the contracting company I worked with - I was reimbursed 188$ ! Reached out to their customer service many many times stretched over months but they always gave a standard textbook answer about an auditor evaluating the enormous work that was done to equal 188$. Having wasted so many hours with this company I would like to give it a huge thumbs down.

ZM Richmond, KY

I've never before had to fight so hard to get a broken heater replaced. My family was without heat for over 3 weeks (my 3 year old son!) while I fought tooth and nail to get our system replaced. I gave up trying and decided to pay on my own. I paid almost $7,000 to get the system installed. Then, I thought I got lucky when HWA said they were going to do a buy-out. They offered $1,600. That's 25% of what I paid. I understand that HWA bases their prices on what they pay for things, but you can't buy a heating system AT COST for that much money let alone pay to install it and pay for a condenser. I will forever protest the way that HWA does business. They will lie, cheat, and do anything possible to not spend any money on you. I will absolutely not be renewing my warranty with HWA. Every realtor I know will hear about how bad the service is. SAVE YOUR MONEY DO NOT BUY HWA SERVICES.

Diane M Jacksonville, AR

I filed a claim for a broken stove on 11-20-2018 and the technician arrived 48 hrs later and I paid my $100 fee to have them fix it. Now it is more than 3 months later and the claims department is still saying the exact same script they did the first time I called for a follow up on repair time. I am going to have to have the stove fixed by someone else now and they refuse to give me my $100 back. Needless to say, I do not recommend this company. Just look at the 1,400+ complaints with the BBB if you want proof of how horrible they are.

Cesar Highland, CA

WORST HOME WARRANTY I'VE EVER HAD, I chose the option to buy and install the water heather on my own, they told me it was ok, that they will send me a check for the water heather and labor we agree that it was going to be 2 different checks, one for each thing, they only send me a check for the water heather after 3 months, I keep calling them about the labor check, send labor invoice twice and they say now that they will not pay for the labor, they tried to charge me extra for parts I did not need them in the begining, thats why I decided to do it myself on my side.

Matt Sapulpa, OK

There terrible waited a month to hear from them payed there plumbers deposit then they denied the claim I’m never ever gonna recommend them or use them again TERRIBLE company an Everyone you talk to is overseas

Dave M Georgetown, TX

Well, add me to the list of unhappy 'customers'. My very first big claim for AC repair and/or replacement and they're denying because I didn't change the filters often enough- they were clogged. True or not-they tell me there is no appeal process, and they will NOT share the technician's writeup with me. You're all right about the customer service with this company-I tried their chat process, what a joke. I sure did waste $550 on this contract. I'm actually still on chat as we speak and the 'agent' is quite short and not at all helpful.

Jessica New Lenox, IL

I wouldn’t even give them 1 star!!! Negative stars for this company. This company is a SCAM!!!! Do not use them! Save your money. It will cost you in the long run having this warranty company. There customer arrives reps all day different things and they never contact you back! We put a claim in for our dishwasher and they came and “fixed” it. We had even bigger problems with it and they assured us there was nothing they were gonna do. We ended up having to replace it our selves!!! We cancelled them and they they told us they would refund within 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I’m now told they won’t because it’s the cancellation fee - I could go on and on. They are a SCAM do not use them!!!!

Lindsey W. Atlanta, GA

We went two weeks without air conditioning in GA before they sent someone out to even look at our home. Refused to cover any services because they said our inspector didn't adequately test the system, even though we had a full write up of the system on our home inspection. Refused to let me talk to another customer service rep or a manager. Horrible company and horrible service.

Susie Bradley St Louis, MO

0 stars here. I am pretty sure this company is nothing but a scam, especially after reading all of these terrible reviews. I am going to do my best to put them out of business. They want your money for the contract and the $100 repair fee and send you repair people with no legitimate addresses. The first time I called, it was for a water heater that was making the water too hot. In the past, I knew that meant that we needed a new water heater. Our realtor from Remax recommended the seller get this warranty for us as part of our house deal. I trusted the realtor. The seller trusted the realtor. It would have been much better had the seller just given us the $550 in case we had an appliance break down. The water heater repair person took two weeks to come to our house, wouldn't listen to what I said and fiddled with the controls on the tank. He asked how old the heater was and I said "over twenty years" and he disagreed with me. He said that we needed a new thermostat and he would order the part and come back in a week. I did not hear from him in over two months. Finally I looked online and saw that most water heaters are good for only 10-12 years and that fixing a thermostat on gas water heater is a complicated process. I decided then to ask the company for a new water heater and a different repair person. I also spoke to the service person who said that the part had been back ordered. I told him that I thought I should get a new heater and he said that the company would only allow him to suggest a new heater if it was leaking. I'm pretty sure he didn't call back because . he didn't want to fix the too old water heater. I spoke to several representatives and even a supervisor who all had thick accents and said that they would write notes on my account, but then when I would call back there were no notes. Now the water heater repair person is calling every day to come fix my heater (after I clearly stated that I did not want to work with that company). I live in a big city and am surrounded by repair companies....why are they sending someone from the other side of town unless they have some kind of agreement? He comes and gets my $100....for doing nothing....a good day at work yes? They also recommended a person to fix my refrigerator. When I looked him up since I was realizing this company didn't seem legit, this company had terrible reviews. People wrote :"Whatever you do, stay away from this company." They had a complaint from over 10 months ago with the Better Business Bureau. I called and said that I did not want to work with that company. Finally they cancelled my claim today because I didn't call the appliance company for an appointment-after I had requested several times to use a different company. What they are doing has to be illegal. Finally I asked for a refund of the $100 and the 450 contract fee and I was told that they don't give refunds. The Rep told me that I was the only one who has been upset with the company in the three months he has worked for the company,,,sure doesn't look that way from looking at these reviews!