First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims, saving homeowners more than $180 million in covered repairs and replacements.

The company has a large network of prescreened technicians so you don't have to worry about doing your own research and independently finding your own technician. Warranty coverage lasts for one year and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of Top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2019.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider provides coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. 35+ years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional peace of mind for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances.

First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American Home Warranty does not have an age limit on systems and appliances, so you don't have to worry about the company refusing coverage based on this. Warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage for protection plans may vary by location):

The Basic Plan: $28 per Month or $336 per Year

• Garage door opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central vacuum system

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your service contract:

• Central air conditioning (electric) — $9 per month
  • Additional refrigeration — $4 per month
  • Pool/spa equipment — $15 per month
  • Well pump — $7 per month
  • First class upgrade — $9 per month

Coverage Limits

Unlike some home warranty providers, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection to be done by a contractor or maintenance records to be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The service provider also offers extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion, and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline where you can make service calls at any time as well as a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews
  • Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative reviews highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchasing decision.

Extra Cost for Air Conditioning Coverage

Many home warranty providers offer air conditioning as part of their premier plan or combo plan, but First American Home Warranty only offers an AC unit as additional coverage with an extra fee you add to your chosen plan. This may be a problem for customers looking to have air conditioning as part of their prearranged plan. However, because the AC unit isn't covered in First American Home Warranty's two main plans, this is what makes the company's warranty cost cheaper than most.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With a competitive cost and service call fee and multiple plan options, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

The company offers a basic plan for customers that are looking for more standard coverage, as well as a premier plan for homeowners wanting more robust coverage. Additional add-on items are also available for coverage so consumers can pick and choose other major systems and appliances they want covered. Note that First American Home Warranty only covers the wear and tear of major appliances and systems. Like most home warranty companies, First American does not cover pre-existing conditions.

When compared to other home warranty companies, First American Home Warranty has a competitive monthly cost and service fee. Some warranty providers charge upwards of $600 per year with a $100 service fee.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. Typically, for whichever home warranty plan you select, the service contract will last for one year.

If you want to learn about what customers think of the company, such as response time, customer service, and quality of repair, check out First American Home Warranty reviews below.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.4

Wesley Upchurch
August 16th, 2019 Memphis, TN DETAILS

This company is a complete scam. AC went out and they sent a tech out that said I needed a new compressor. But when I called them he said he told them that I just needed to clean it. That's total bull as it rusted out. They are liars that just don't want to pay the claim. Cleaning the unit wouldn't fix it, so it's a complete run around. They don't want to pay. Avoid this company at all costs.

Bill K
August 16th, 2019 Roseburg, OR DETAILS

I would give them a zero, but one star is as low as I can go. We purchased a home and asked the seller to pay for a warranty. The seller said they would pay $350 towards the warranty and we could pay the rest. All agreed and everything okay. Signed papers in escrow and added AC coverage. We (buyers) paid the additional $160 for the coverage of the policy. Moved into the house and after 5 days of running the AC, it quit. Called FAHW and they said not covered because the home doesn't close until August 14th (claim was on the 11th and closing was on the 6th). Real estate agent called the local FAHW agent and was told that closing date would be fixed and we would indeed have coverage, even set up claim with contractor. Now received email from FAHW that said they were returning our money for the AC coverage and that it would not be covered (company had already cashed our check). After 3 calls to FAHW's customer service, I can honestly say that they are "long on promise, short on delivery" with a touch or rudeness in the mix. Bottomline . . . they want your money. Would not recommend to use or purchase their warranties.

Bailey
August 16th, 2019 Chickasha, OK DETAILS

Having a problem getting my A/C unit fixed its been down for 2 days and i have called multiple time and i get the same answer. There are no contractor in your area and when i signed up for the warranty plan they told me they several contractors in my area. What is the next step for me now fix it myself and cancel the warranty plan?

Nader
August 14th, 2019 DETAILS

I’ve had coverage through FAHW for 2 years for multiple properties. They choose very low end contractors with terrible ratings for all service requests including HVAC and Plumbing. When the contracted companies inevitable fail to fix issues that are covered by the contractual agreement, FAHW does nothing to remedy the situation. Customer service representatives seem to be trained to say no to any reasonable resolution, and do not care at all about customer retention. Will definitely be switching to another company.

Michael L
August 14th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

FAHW provides poor contractor selection and poor claims service in my experience. I paid an additional premium for HVAC coverage and still more for "First Class Service." The inevitable air conditioning issue arose in the middle of a heat wave and after waiting two days for a callback on my claim, they couldn't schedule an HVAC contractor in less than 10 days, so I insisted on using an independent local contractor who agreed to come out the same day I called. A simple addition of refrigerant and a charge of $119.00 was all that was needed. As instructed, I emailed FAHW the receipt, and first, the claims rep said she couldn't open it and then that she couldn't read it, and finally that maybe she could see it, but it didn't contain information that was clearly there. I included the contact information for the contractor with my email and suggested they call them and explain what it is they found lacking. The rep implied that was somehow dishonest of me. After consulting several "supervisors" they finally agreed to reimburse me $44.00 after subtracting their $75.00 service deductible. They wasted my time and insulted my character over such a minor repair! I won't be wasting any premium money waiting around to see how they treat me when I have a major break down.

August 14th, 2019 DETAILS

The companies they use send technicians who do not know what's going on, 2 different technicians gave me 2 different answers as to why my refrigerator was acting up. Far worse than going to the local mechanic.

Frances E Riffe
August 13th, 2019 Oakley, CA DETAILS

Have been waiting for a responsive from agent ADRIANA A for information about the claim that she supposedly submitted for a plumbing leak. I had an emergency water leak flooding my carport and she could not get any of their contractors to come so she said to call another plumber ands he would reimburse me for the amount that cost was over $600.00. She asked me to e-Mail her the invoice , responded she received it and was going to try to get me as much money she could and since then she does not answer any of my E-Mails or my calls and this is going on for 3-4 weeks. To find out today, after many E-Mails saying to me it takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive my money and their is no such claim on file and no money noted for reimbursement. I am a former Real Estate Agent and this is totally irresponsible not to mentioned crooked, Other complaints on these reviews had the same problem. Next, I am filing a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. They have been notified that if this issue was not resolved by today and I receive my money like she promised I will do this, but apparently they do not care because they have been getting away with it with so many other customers. We should all take them to Small Claims Court and report them because they do not stand behind their promises or their contract and look for loop holes so they can tell you they won't pay. I don't remember anyone telling me that and my direct contact was Adriana A . Frances Riffe, Real Estate Specialist, Retired

Aug 17, 2019

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Liz
August 13th, 2019 Pasadena, TX DETAILS

The company is great about making sure they get my monthly fee. However, they send out contractors that don’t seem to know what they are doing, won’t fix the issue and even paint it as something you the homeowner must have done, and in the case of my air conditioner take it apart then refuse to fix it. Don’t bother asking for them to actually fix anything, because they will screw you over.

Adam
August 13th, 2019 San Carlos, CA DETAILS

This company is horrible. They don't respond and they send you in endless loops while they delay either getting repairs done or delay in reimbursing you.

Teofilo Casiano
August 13th, 2019 McClure, OH DETAILS

This is by far the most dishonest company. I put a claim in. They had a company come out and lie so they didn't have to cover it. Said it was missing parts. How is that possible if it just worked? This company is a complete scam. Save yourself and do not go with this company.

Theresa
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

I've been with them for over 25 years. When I have a problem with a contractor I all FAHW both and let then know and they help to work things out. I recommend anyone with a home to have home warranty and I always recommend FAHW.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you Theresa for your royalty with First American. We look forward to many more years.

Sallee
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

they are fast to respond and do a good job

Aug 13, 2019

We appreciate your review, Sallee.

Melissa Kidd
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Good referral to the plumbing company they used.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you Melissa for your review.

margaret
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

when we have needed service, like re keying and appliance repair the services were completed in a timely fashion

Aug 13, 2019

We appreciate your review Margaret and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

George Greer
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

First American Home Warranty stands by their customers to makes sure all Warranty work is completed in a timely manner.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi George, thank you for your review.

Dave
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Quick service response and great customer.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Dave, thank you for your review.

Dannita Williams
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

They have always provided me great customer service and have gotten very good contractors.

Aug 13, 2019

Hello Dannitta, we appreciate your review and thank you for choosing First American.

Catherine
August 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Took 3 weeks to get a company out to address a potential leak with the pool.

Louise
August 12th, 2019 Kingwood, TX DETAILS

We've used them for a few years now, and they are responsive to claim requests. We've had good results and hope to maintain that opinion. The dishwasher malfunctioned some years back and they were able to come quickly and make the replacement with little difficulty. I wish they would give us cash if we wanted to upgrade on the model.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Louise. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we appreciate it.

Jacqueline
August 12th, 2019 Beaumont, TX DETAILS

Excellent company-Every time I've had to use them, it's there with a quick response. When I called about my washing machine, the young man who answered had a wonderful attitude. The repairmen do a top notch job, they are very professional.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you Jacqueline for your feedback!

Boyoung
August 12th, 2019 Lemon Grove, CA DETAILS

I think they are the most credible company, comparing all the existing companies. The response times are pretty good, though sometimes it takes time for the engineer to order the aprt once they come to the house.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you Boyoung for your review.

Ananth
August 12th, 2019 Carlsbad, CA DETAILS

Good thing that we have First American because a few things have happened and we've been very satisfied with the service being provided. The quality of service is high and the technicians coming through take proper action to correct the problems. We plan to continue with it forever.

Behrouz Jafari
August 11th, 2019 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS

If I could, I would have given them zero star! This company is one of the worst in the business. They sub-contract to a bunch of shady and incompetent companies and leave us with no choice. I have been with this company for more than 3 years and every single time was a struggle to communicate with each sub-contractor. I recently had an A/C break down and as a result of their sub-contractor's incompetence, had a significant ceiling damge with water leak. They left me without A/C for almost 1.5 month. Finally, their sub-contractor made a wrong diagnosis with a very long delay. I had to call other companies to change my A/C on my own. When I called the First American they did not care at all and did not reimburse for any portion of the replacement. So, I decided to cancel my contract with them. If you can stay away from them, definitely do!

First American losers
August 11th, 2019 Apopka, FL DETAILS

We had air conditioning issues that were unresolved for over four weeks. They sent out a HVAC company that had a F rating by the Better Business Bureau. The contractor came out and did not even attempt to evaluate the actual issues. He looked at the unit without even hooking up gauges or trying to run the unit, then he listed all these issues that were not covered under their premium package. He then said copper lines needed to be manipulated which was not true, and American home warranty would not cover the but if you lease and of the refrigerant lines inside the condensing unit. It took over four months to try and get these issues resolved, I ended up calling the contractor myself to get someone else out there that knew what they were doing, and he found a whole in the condenser unit coil. That he totally demolished all of the fins on the condenser unit where he had to solder the whole up. Now three months later were having issues again with the same air-conditioner and they have set out another company that says that someone has personally damaged the unit and first American home warranty will not cover any work to the AC unit now that he needs replaced. Why would First American home warranty do business with the contractor that has a F rating by the Better Business Bureau.

Andrea
August 11th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

I am having a TERRIBLE experience! I have paid for this warranty for years. I filed a claim on my AC and when the company could not work with my schedule for an appointment I asked if I could change companies and FAHW stated no. I had to figure out how to meet them. We had an already scheduled time and FAHW cancelled my appointment with them and I was not aware until they did not show up to do the work.

kaleid
August 11th, 2019 La Palma, CA DETAILS

This is a night mare, when your contractor is not responding to your phone calls and your agent is out of office. no body reads messages and no one will respond. if you call the main number for customer service you will wait a long time then some one will transfer you to your agent who is out of office. more than a month now and my oven has not been fixed. this is absolutely a waste of money and time. I will get a decent contractor and will pay him directly and save my self and my family the stress and the inconvenience. will never by their insurance again.

Tedla
August 11th, 2019 Sugar Land, TX DETAILS

My Contract Number is #10485857403. First American Home Warranty is a joke. I have AC unit problem they said they have ordered the part and I waited for more than a month in this Summer weather. When I haven't received anything we tried to contact them and they told me they will cover $265 and I have to pay $1500. Is this how Insurance works. Every time something come up they always give excuses not to pay anything. I decided not to have any insurance than getting disappointed with insurance like this. The person assigned and the customer service people are so unprofessional and undisciplined.

Aug 20, 2019

Hello Tedla, Our records indicate you accepted a cash payment in lieu of the replacement to the evaporator coil. Please be advised, the cash payment was mailed out on August 13, 2019 and your claim is considered closed. Thank you.

Mike Russum
August 11th, 2019 Biloxi, MS DETAILS

Highly recommended. We bought a home and decided to get a home warranty. Good thing. The heat pump/AC condensing unit went out two weeks later. First American replaced it completely! The only downside is the companies they use aren’t top tier “well known” companies but they did the job and did it correctly. I only paid a $75 service charge and $150 for items not covered. Not bad since the unit and installation was over $4,000!

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you Mike for your review.

Maria
August 10th, 2019 Vallejo, CA DETAILS

They are very responsible. The last time we had a problem it was fixed on time.

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you Maria for your review.

Andrea
August 10th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

I have used it a few times. So far it's been very nice and they have come through with pretty much everything.

Theresa
August 10th, 2019 Rimrock, AZ DETAILS

This was referred by a friend. We did have an appliance repaired. They sent someone out and it was fixed as promised. They do what they say they're going to do.

Aug 14, 2019

We are glad your appliance was repaired, Theresa. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Ramiro
August 10th, 2019 Laredo, TX DETAILS

Courteous and quick to try to assist. I compare several and this one seems to have the better rate. I've used it several times for different appliances. They have come by to either fix it or replace it.

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you for your Ramiro.

Bill
August 10th, 2019 Wolfforth, TX DETAILS

We've had several appliances go out on us and we called them for service and they ended up replacing most of it. They get an answer back to us almost immediately.

Aug 14, 2019

Hi Bill. We appreciate your review.

Eric
August 10th, 2019 Williams, AZ DETAILS

Quick responses, good service, and good follow up. The microwave stopped working so we called and they notified a contractor to make repairs.

Emraaz
August 10th, 2019 Elk Grove, CA DETAILS

My experience with American home warranty was very good. Convenient service.

Aug 14, 2019

Hi Emraaz, thank you for your feedback.

Monique
August 10th, 2019 Woodstock, GA DETAILS

I had to use my warranty for several things. My AC which can be very expensive went out and I called. They immediately gave me contact information and within two days I had someone at my house. If you don't have coverage for your home I definitely recommend that you give first American home warranty a call. It's well worth Its value.

Kristen
August 10th, 2019 Plant City, FL DETAILS

They're very good at responding and very friendly.

Arturo
August 10th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Courteous and quick responses. One of our locks broke I called yesterday and the locksmith came over today right at the appointment time.

Don
August 10th, 2019 Boerne, TX DETAILS

We had the AC go out in our guesthouse. I called and within forty eight hours they were out here replacing the unit. Everybody's gotten back very quickly and resolved any problems.

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you Don for your review.

Donald
August 10th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

They are hard to get in touch with to talk to somebody but they follow up very well.

Aug 14, 2019

Thank you Donald for your review.

J
August 8th, 2019 Simpsonville, SC DETAILS

The previous owners of the house we bought had First American so we have it. I find them to be very efficient with quick turn around service and they are easy to work with.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you J for your review!

August 8th, 2019 Montclair, CA DETAILS

I have used it a number of times. They got the problems fixed and I haven't had any problems afterwards. They use independent companies that they hire to do different things and most of the time they get it done right away. I'll probably continue to be with them for awhile because I live alone and I can't fix everything myself. I have recommended it to a number of my friends and coworkers already.

Aug 09, 2019

We appreciate your review and thank you for choosing First American.

Carol
August 8th, 2019 Hollywood, FL DETAILS

Knowledgeable and easy to contact. I had a leak under my sink and they sent somebody out in a couple of days. A few week prior we used them for our air conditioning issue and the contractor tried to rip us off four hundred dollars and there was nothing First American could do.

Aug 09, 2019

Hi Carol. Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear your plumbing claim was resolved. However, for your air conditioning claim, can you please provide us with your claim number so that we may look into this?

Jeff
August 8th, 2019 DETAILS

I had them in the past and they've always treated me well. They always take care of my problems. I recently had a four year old refrigerator stop working and the technician came out and they took care of the problem neatly and ordered me a replacement.

Aug 09, 2019

Hello Jeff. We appreciate your review and happy to hear your refrigerator was replaced. Thank you for choosing First American!

Brenda
August 8th, 2019 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS

I work in real estate, so I have been around home warranties for a long, long time, and I've just found that First American has the best service with the best response time when there is a problem. I have used them for years. Every now and then we have trouble getting something to happen quickly but most of the time they're very responsive. It gives me peace of mind, especially with an older home, that they'll come and make repairs or replace things if necessary.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you Brenda for taking the time to provide us with your feedback!

August 8th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

If something serious happens then the monthly cost will pay for itself. The dishwasher had a defective part and the contractor came and as did a plumber and the part was replaced.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you for your review.

Judith
August 8th, 2019 Ventura, CA DETAILS

First American Home Warranty is excellent. I had them out three weeks ago and it was fine. the guy came right over and fixed what needed to be fixed and then left. It was a piece of cake.

Aug 09, 2019

Hello Judith, we appreciate your review.

Linda
August 8th, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS

Customer support is very prompt and they provide good service.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you Linda for your review.

Jonathan
August 8th, 2019 Rocky Mount, NC DETAILS

Every time I use them, they send somebody right away to fix whatever the problem was.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you Jonathan for your review.

Mary
August 8th, 2019 Conway, AR DETAILS

The only complaint I have it that they often send different companies and that is a little difficult. Other than that, it is easy to use, I've used it every year.

Aug 09, 2019

Thank you Mary for your review, we appreciate it.