First American Home Warranty has been an industry leader for over 35 years and has a reputation of providing quality home warranty plans with extensive coverage for homeowners across the nation. The home warranty provider has serviced millions of claims and has a large network of contractors. Warranty plans last for one year, and monthly payment options are available as well. First American Home Warranty ranked in our list of top 10 Best Home Warranty Companies of 2018.

The Good

• Decades of Experience and Company Stability
  • Comprehensive Plans
  • Coverage Limits
  • 24/7 Claims Service
  • Online Homeowner Center

Decades of Experience and Company Stability

First American has been providing home warranties since 1984. The home warranty service provider provides coverage to 38 states plus the District of Columbia. 35+ years of home warranty experience is a good indication of the company’s stability and willingness to provide quality service. Choosing a home warranty company with so much experience could be an additional peace of mind for homeowners.

Comprehensive Plans

First American Home Warranty currently offers two coverage plans and a variety of additional options for warranty coverage. The monthly cost for a First American Home Warranty plan starts at $28 per month and lasts for one year. The service fee varies by location, but you will typically pay $75 whenever you schedule a repair or replacement with a First American Home Warranty technician. Warranty plan holders can upgrade or expand their warranty plan within the first 30 days of coverage to add on additional systems or appliances. First American also offers a 30-day review period for new warranty contract holders. Customizable plans are made for homeowners, real estate professionals, as well as network service providers. First American Home Warranty's website allows anyone to receive a sample contract and specific residential warranty pricing within minutes.

First American’s warranty coverage for major appliances and systems is as follows (pricing and coverage may vary by location):

The Basic Plan - $28/month or $300/year

• Garage Door Opener
  • Ductwork
  • Central Vacuum System

Optional Coverage

For a fee, you can add additional coverage items to your home warranty plan:

• Central Air Conditioning (electric) - $9
  • Additional Refrigeration - $4
  • Pool/Spa Equipment - $15
  • Well Pump - $7
  • First Class Upgrade - $9

Coverage Limits

Unlike some others, most of First American’s covered items do not carry a specific dollar limit. First American plans do not require a home inspection be done by a contractor or maintenance records be retrieved from a repair person for coverage. The company also provides extra protection for malfunctions due to lack of maintenance, regular wear and tear, rust, corrosion and sedimentary build-up. There are no age limits on covered items, and no limit to the number of claims a customer can file.

24/7 Claims Service

No matter the time of day, customers can open a claim. First American offers a 24/7 service request hotline and a user-friendly online customer portal. First American has a nationwide network of workers and prescreens every service contractor and requires them to complete a probationary period to ensure customer satisfaction standards are met through customer survey results.

Online Homeowner Center

First American offers an easy-to-use online homeowner center for all of its customers. From this portal, a customer can open and track their claims, view their contract details, renew their home warranty, and manage communication preferences.

The Bad

• Nationwide Service Unavailable
  • First American Home Warranty Reviews

Nationwide Service Unavailable

First American provides coverage in 38 states and the District of Columbia. There is a tool on its website that allows for a zip code lookup to determine if First American provides coverage for customers in a particular state. Unfortunately, if you are out of First American’s coverage area, you are unable to receive its services.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

First American Home Warranty has some negative rewards highlighting bad customer service, delayed and lengthy response and service time, and hidden fees on appliances. We suggest reading through First American Home Warranty reviews before making a final purchase decision.

The Bottom Line

With 35+ years of experience and a large network of service providers (each contractor is reviewed and put through a probation period to ensure customer satisfaction), First American Home Warranty has comprehensive protection with high coverage limits for major appliances and systems. With monthly payment options and multiple plans, First American Home Warranty gives you more value for your money and covers customers with flexible payment options for various budgets.

First American Home Warranty created its home warranty programs with not just homeowners in mind, but network service providers and real estate professionals as well. However, the home warranty company does have some negative reviews. We suggest looking through the reviews before determining if First American Home Warranty is the right home warranty provider for you.

Call our recommended rep over at First American Home Warranty below.

3.3

Don
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I've used it three times. Once for a leak and it was repaired. Once for the dishwasher and it was almost repaired but still slightly leaks and I'll just live with it. I can put a bucket underneath the door. The other time was for a garbage disposal being jammed and it was fixed. They respond to any request.

Jun 17, 2019

Hi Don. We are concerned to hear about your dishwasher still leaking. Can you please call our Customer Service line and tell them about the situation?

Diana
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

Courteous and have immediate responses. I needed my microwave fixed. I called them and they sent someone out immediately and replaced it.

Jun 17, 2019

Hi Diana. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing!

Jo
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I've used the warranty numerous times. We had to use it recently for our pool pump and the gentleman fixed it and everything's fine. We've had some technicians that came out that were bad. I did speak with the manager about pest control which was not very friendly or nice. I would suggest more empathy from the people and managers that customers speak to. I actually had to hold for thirty minutes to speak to him.

Rodney
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

They follow up and make sure that everything is taken care of and I like that. We have used it several times and we've been pleased with the service we have gotten. They always come through on getting everything repaired and they follow up afterwards. I wish they had more people that work for them in our areas. We are in Kentucky and sometimes they've sent people from way up in Ohio. If they had more local people to do the work that would be better.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Rodney. We are always looking for new contractors to join our network.

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I've had First American Home Warranty from the beginning and I've always gotten responses when I've called. I've used them quite a bit lately and right now I am in the process of using it for some plumbing and I've had to call several times because they're having trouble getting back. It's not perfect, but it works.

Larry
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

We just used our warranty on our dishwasher and we called in and said we needed a repair and they sent someone out and fixed it. I've had several occasions to use the home warranty on refrigerators and dishwashers and appliances. It's very successful. They were responsive, successful, took care of the problem, and were generous.

Stephen
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

The first year I owned my home, they were very good about helping me out and so I renewed it for a the second year. Every time I call, everyone seems very polite and helpful however I don't necessarily feel like my issue gets solved or they have the best people taking care of the issue. I was having plumbing issues and they sent a total of three plumbers out to the house. The first two I found out had no idea what they were talking about and so one of my bathrooms has been in shambles since then until I had a third plumber who knew what he was talking about and we found out that they were all easy fixes so I'm wondering why it took seven months without hot water. I don't feel like they send the most professional contractors out to the house.

Cindy
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

They're quick and they're professional and get things done. We had some plumbing issues and they were out here the next day and took care of that quickly.

Jun 17, 2019

Hi, Cindy. We are happy to hear that you are happy with the service.

Corliss
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

The last time I called and got assistance. They've been extremely helpful. Last week my A/C unit when out and they were extremely helpful. They explained when they would sent people out and they set up an appointment. The guy came out and explained everything to me step by step detailed and everything. He even showed me if we needed to correct the problem again. Customer service allows us to pay the payment online which is really great and it is very affordable and their sales is very knowledgeable of what is going on and very helpful.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the review, Corliss!

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

One of the electrical outlets went out in the house and I had to call them. On some things maybe they should be more timely manner getting the job done and handled quicker.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the feedback.

Kevin
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

Very responsive and quick to get to people out to work on repairs as needed. They do an excellent job. Most of the technicians have been excellent. A couple have had to change one item and then came back a week later and make two trips to fix the problem.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you, Kevin for the response. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

David
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

We had a couple of stove top repairs. They came and fixed it a couple of times and then decided it was time for a new one so they replaced it. We have had a refrigerator that had to be repaired and they did it. When we have a problem, we call First American and it is handled. They take care of it and follow up with us. If we aren't happy, all we have to do is call you and you handle it.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, David. We appreciate you.

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

The technician that handled the problem called us and he kept right on top of it, even though it took longer than we had wished but it wasn't their fault. The person they sent out had difficulty with the space. It wasn't quite big enough for the dishwasher but she was right there the whole time. The lady followed up every day and kept us abreast of what was going on.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Las Vegas Homes Network
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

The customer service is very accommodating. Any questions that I had were answered in an honest opinion from them. My water tank had been going out and I had to call. Within the next day we had an appointment and the following day they were able to just replace it. They were very truthful and accomplished it in the time we talked about. First American Home Warranty is a very good and reliable company.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback! We are happy to be of service.

Larisa
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I can always reach a representative. My air conditioning unit went out and it was very quick and they fixed everything. I like that the customer service is easy to reach. The people are polite and there are professionals at any of the contractors.

Jun 17, 2019

We are happy to hear your AC was fixed just in time for summer!

Sye
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

They're pretty good. They don't always follow up but you get call backs for appointments and send me an email saying the appointment was made so that's good. One time my air conditioner stopped working and I called and they sent somebody out. He worked on it and I had to call back a few days later because it started leaking. And that was because the technician didn't get the pan set right so I called another company just to verify. The customer service does a pretty good job. They call and give me what I want or what I need and I usually get a confirmation call no later than the next day so that's a good thing for me.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for the feedback, Sye.

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I think they do a pretty good job but it's a little bit hard to manage. Often times there's not someone in our area to use for contracting but I think they try to make it work. We had a refrigerator door that would not automatically shut so we called them and it was one of those times that they didn't have someone on contract for that type of refrigerator but they allowed us to use another contractor. And then there was some discussion about what was going to be covered and what not. The confusing part was I couldn't remember which way it went but they kept talking about what wasn't covered and they didn't seem to match very well. My only other comment was that the booklet that was sent to me seems to be a different version from what the customer service person was talking about in terms of things that are covered and not. There's a very lengthy list of things that aren't covered.

Tony
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

The home already had First American Home Warranty and we just continued it because it has definitely helped us with things that have broken. Home Warranty is in contact with us when we have a problem to see if the problem has been resolved and if we're satisfied with how it was resolved. We've used it several times for some kitchen appliances and just recently our garage door opener broke. And they came out to fix it. They're just very prompt and courteous. And it seems to me like they want to know if we were satisfied with what was done.

Sharon
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

If you call them, they call the contractor out and fix the problem. We use the warranty all the time actually. We have an older house. I just put it in an email what we need to be fixed and they send the contractor. They call us within twenty four hours and come fix it and off we go. They are timely and professional and they resolve everything.

Jun 17, 2019

Hi, Sharon. We are happy to hear that you are utilizing the benefits of your contract! We are happy to be of service.

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

Miicrowave quit and they're replacing it.

Floyd
June 17th, 2019 Memphis, TN DETAILS

I really like the experience of working with them and not having to deal with the companies that you get your appliances from. This particular time they gave a time in which the company could come and service that item and I had problems with that time and I worked with First American Warranty and let them know and within forty eight hours they called and got me within forty hours of the call. I had problems with my dryer and I thought they would be able to repair it and go from there. The technician came out and serviced the dryer and told me what was wrong with it and then left. After I tried to use the dryer after he left, it wouldn't work. And I called them back and I got aggravated with the time it took for them to come out and reservice it. And it ended up costing me another $75 and I didn't know I was going to have to pay for that because it wasn't part of the actual dryer. First American was great, it was the company that came out of my house that I wasn't excited about.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you, Floyd for the feedback. We are sorry to hear that the assigned contractor did not meet your expectations.

Anthony
June 17th, 2019 Cedar Hill, TX DETAILS

Only problem is that some of the repairs have not been completed.

Nancy
June 17th, 2019 McKeesport, PA DETAILS

I had a problem with my dishwasher and I called and they took care of it right away. They handled it quickly.

Jun 17, 2019

Hi Nancy. We are so happy to hear that your dishwasher was repaired. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Josh
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

Every time we call, I'm able to get in contact with somebody to help us resolve whatever issue we may have. We had our washer go out on us and they immediately got us connected with a tech to come out and look at it and we were able to fully replace it at no charge to use other than the initial fee to have the tech come out. We haven't had to pay really anything out of pocket and we've had three different expensive repairs done for just thirty five dollars each.

Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Josh. We appreciate you and your time.

Gordon
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

We had a garbage disposal that wasn't working. They came out and the young man that came out didn't know what the garbage disposal was supposed to do and he said that there was nothing wrong with it. So we let it go and a few months later it got bad and I called again and they sent another person out. He said that the garbage disposal wasn't working and he replaced it. He was in and out in thirty minutes and he did an excellent job.

Jun 17, 2019

We are happy to hear you have a new garbage disposal, Gordon. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent claim went.

Sunil Mahbubani
June 14th, 2019 Chino Hills, CA DETAILS

This is the WORST Home Warranty company I've dealt with and would HIGHLY recommend individuals ready this to not sign up with them. I've been dealing with a nightmare in order to get my issue resolved and I've escalated this to through so many Claim Resolution Experts and this has gone no where.

Lisa Lewis
June 13th, 2019 Smyrna, GA DETAILS

If I could give this company no stars I would. They are awful, have non-existent customer service. They are very happy to take your premium and your $75 service charge fee but are not very happy to actual send out a vendor who shows to fix the issue. Been without air for a month. This company is awful. The AC vendor they use is awful. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

M. Howard
June 12th, 2019 Norfolk, VA DETAILS

The level of this company’s incompetence cannot be overstated. They will talk in circles, cancel any progress actually made with contractors, and make it nigh impossible to get contractors scheduled without making you jump through hoops. I would recommend this company to someone I truly hate so they can experience the levels of fury and frustration that truly should not even be associated due to their consistent incompetence and failure to accept responsibility for those shortcomings in the first place.

John Eldred
June 12th, 2019 Hernando, MS DETAILS

My dryer had a heating issue. When I pulled out a load of clothes, a piece had fallen off and was in my laundry. I have never filed a claim in the two years I have had this warranty. I called and was sent a technician to look at my dryer. The dryer is old and the issue is obviously wear and tear which is SUPPOSED to be covered. After I paid my $75 service fee, my claim was denied. I’m really not sure what I’m paying for if they’re not going to cover my appliances. I feel like I’ve been scammed. Will probably cancel my warranty after this.

Alyssa Espinoza
June 12th, 2019 Azusa, CA DETAILS

I only made one claim and it was handled very poorly, would never renew or recommend this company. They fix one issue only to create another and would not fix the second issue because we can’t prove that they caused it. The company we were forced to use was very unprofessional and rude, hard to get a hold of and took over a month to get to the house and fix our heater, they claimed to replace the whole unit then 5 months later when the unit stopped working again they said they couldn’t do anything since we were no longer with the home warranty company, and home warranty was of no help, they caused more problems then they solved, why would I ever renew their service, definitely do not recommend this home warranty company

Misha
June 12th, 2019 Fontana, CA DETAILS

FAHW gave me the run around on a leak in my laundry room.They sent a contractor out with no tools to tell me I have mold and that I should contact my insurance company to fix the problem.I then contact my insurance company for them to tell me it was a home warranty issue.Least to say I have been on the phone with FAHW for hrs to have not gotten anywhere.So basically they took $75 service fee and there was no service done. I have now canceled my contract with them.

Bryan Barber
June 12th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

This warranty company does not care about their customers AT ALL!! And they are straight up liars. Our dishwasher has been broken for 3 months now and they still refuse to do the cost comparison to give us a new one. The dishwasher is over 20 years old and is just falling apart and they have sent someone out to look at it 6 different times now. The appliance people coming to work on it keep saying that we just need a new one because they don't even make the parts to fix it anymore, and so we call the warranty people and they lie to us and tell us that it's the appliance team's fault and that we don't need a new one... We have been out of a dishwasher for 3 months and they refuse to do anything besides sending someone out to tell us we need a new one and then we report back and they send someone back out to tell us we need a new one and it's this continuous, frustrating cycle. Don't waste your money and time with the First American Home Warranty company!

K Maily
June 12th, 2019 Flora, MS DETAILS

Horrible customer service! Complaints against companies go unaddressed even though they say they do. Don’t ask for any documentation for payments made or services rendered because you will not receive. I would give 0 stars if available. Run around big time!

John Fink
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Every time some one comes to fix something u have to buy something more that cost more money because they don''t have that one only one for more money or u have to wait or 2-3weeks

Brittney
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

We are three weeks without air conditioning and we are being told it will be at least 2 more weeks without in the hottest part of the year. They keep trying to fix things instead of replace unit. At this point it has gotten ridiculous and their customer service is terrible.

Lucy
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

They hire cheap labor, who don''t call to schedule appointments, and they do crappy jobs with crappy products. And First American don''t follow up during and leading up to completion of services.

Richard Angell
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

First America Home Warranty does not have the network to serve the smaller cities. I requested service from a plumber, electrician and locksmith. First America told me they had no one in their network that could provide service. I was told to find my own provider and they would reimburse me less the service fee. I did find my own people for less than the cost of the service fee. If First America can't provide service for the small things, what are the odds they will help with the major things.

Shirley Allen
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Because they were friendly,fast and professional

Jun 11, 2019

Hi Shirley. Thank you for your review.

Randy Chapman
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

No problems overall, just specifically with dishwasher. Has been repaired twice for same issue, and now is exhibiting repeat of same problem. Not sure at what point it gets replaced.m

Jeannie
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Easy to use and always there for you! Repairs have always been fixed in timely manner.it gives me a lot of peace knowing I have this warranty.

Jun 12, 2019

Thank you Jeanie for your review.

John Davison
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Very good company. The service they provide is excellent.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi John, thank you for your review.

michelle
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

customer service is great; vendors could be better - don't trust vendors after plumber completely overcharged me for an addtl service

Jun 12, 2019

Thank you Michelle for your review.

Steve
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Terrible contractors substandard work performed on several occasions

Robert
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

It takes forever to get claims resolved!

Phillis Ruggieri
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

They are alway courteous and they work very hard to get whatever you need fixed ,fixed. The people they hirer also are very good at what they do for us.

Jun 12, 2019

Hello Phillis, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review. Thank you.

Kristal Nimmons
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Fast, friendly service and they are quick to resolve my home warranty service requests

Jun 12, 2019

Thank you Kristal for your review.

Sandra
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Very easy to use, and the customer service is great.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi Sandra, thank you for your review.

James
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent Customer Service. Very accountable and reliable.

Jun 12, 2019

Hello James, thank you for your review.

Michael Ashworth
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

They Do A Great Job!! Have Dealt With Them On 3 Occasions!!

Jun 11, 2019

Thank you James for your review.

Robyn Plantz
June 11th, 2019 DETAILS

They have always responded quickly and in a positive manner.

Jun 11, 2019

Hello Robyn. We appreciate your review and thank you for choosing First American.