Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

Stephanie Sanchez Hacienda Heights, CA

The contractors I've had for my rental property are wonderful. For my primary home not too happy, except for the plumbing Co in Whittier that put new plumbing throughout my home. A/C guys were terrible.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Stephanie. Thank you for taking time to rate your repair experiences. Your feeback is valued and it lets us know what we are doing right and also what we need to work on. We hope to provide you with a better experience for your primary property for your future repair needs.

Shawana Johnson Bessemer, AL

When you have an issue with the company they send, they prefer to address the issue with that company. Yearly, I have the same issue with my central air unit, not cooling. Every year Meyers is called out and change out the thermostat and I have to purchase freon totally 160+. One year my thermostat was changed out Twice during the summer. I asked for a different company and that company recommendation was to replace the unit. That is when AHS started sending Meryers Comfort and Heating out. This year has not been different, I recently had to purchase more Freon.

Teresa Barnett Vancouver, WA

Washer was unrepairable so they selected 3 new compailrable washers to choose from without any hassle or questions. They just took care of the problem as the com.ercial says.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Teresa. We are so happy to hear that you were satisfied with the service experience for your clothes washer. We appreciate you taking time to let us know how we are doing and we look forward to working with you again in the future.

Sandra Tucson, AZ

First of all I like to say although they sent somebody in a timely fashion due to the fact that I had a hot water heater go out my biggest concern is that the policy states that they'll give you a hot water heater and the same capacity but not of the same quality. I'm somewhat disappointed that I had $1000 hot water heater placed in my home and all that they could offer me was a off-the-shelf hot water heater with no tradename from Lowe's hardware store I called repeated times to get information and unfortunately the three women that I spoke with on different occasions were very unhelpful. Secondly when I called to find out the monetary value of payout I was also disappointed to find out that they will only offer you $460. The same hot water heater at Lowe's was $576 as I had just seen it that same day on the shelf at the store.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sandra, I hate to hear about your less than satisfactory service experience to have the hot water heater replaced. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Melanie Jones Newport News, VA

They are called American home shield but when you call customer service you always have to speak to call centers in the Philippines. They have not been helpful since my AC broke and as of today, 9 days later, I'm still living in a hot house. I have gotten nothing but excuses from them and after waiting patiently I still have to pay over $1300 to the contractor to get my AC fixed. Now I am waiting for American Home Shield to order the part just so I can get the AC fixed. Who knows how long it will take for the part to come in. Worst experience ever. I am not going to renew my contract with this company

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Melanie. Thank you for providing feedback about the experience with your air conditioning. I am sorry to hear that your air has not been repaired yet but I would be happy to speak with you regarding this issue to see how I may help in getting a resolution.

Margaret Cottageville, SC

Very responsive to needs. The only comment I have is charging for a service without knowing if the company can assist or not. I know that I am paying for the referral service but CD am not always able to reach the recommended service provider.

Sherrie Schlappy American Fork, UT

So helpful and very quick to get things moving . There was no wait in getting the repair taken care of. The companies they use are reliable and take care of the problem quickly .

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sherrie, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Ralph Woodstock, GA

Excellent service and response time. First appointment was to far out. I called customer service and they rescheduled with another vendor. That vendor was out the next morning.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ralph, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Marilyn Oliver Castleton-On-Hudson, NY

Expensive. Contact team is courteous however for my particular area there is not many contractors that work with AHS. That slows the process down quite a bit I specifically bought this plan to protect my Pool and I had to hire my own service tech and get reimbursed. That's been a nightmare. I invested in AHS for less hassle and stress yet I seem to do most of the footwork.

Traci Jeffreys

Sometimes what you have to pay the vendor isn't worth paying monthly and then having to pay $75 for a service. Just recently needed freon in my air conditioner when it was cooling but HS only Paid $10 per gallon the cost of the gallon was $110. I ended up needing 3 gallons which cost me $300 and HS pd $30 that was not good at all especially when you have been paying HS for years and that is all they pay.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Traci, Your concern regarding the cost and AC repairs is understood. We do apologize as the contract does not cover for the cost of Freon.

William Fitts

On June 8 my a/c wasn't cooling and was leaking condensation into the a/c closet. I called AHS and service order 69961697 was assigned. The unit was repaired the next day. On June 14 my refrigerator stopped cooling. I called AHS and service order 71365947 was issued. On 15 June I called the assigned company to chon the status of my situation and was told that my repair was aches for 22 June. That was unacceptable. Your representative informed me that was the only vendor int the Fort Worth/Dallas area.i cancelled the order and called a local company who fixed the unit that day. I was out ~$325 instead of $100. I'm disappointed. Y'all need to do better

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi William. Thank you for letting us know about your AHS expeirence. I am sorry to hear of the problem you had with addressing the repair needs for your refrigerator. I will be happy to speak with you to see if we may be able to reach a resolution regarding this matter.

Joseph Mater O'fallon, IL

Was initially set up with a contractor for AC, but they could not come out for 4 days. I called AHS back and the representative worked to find a company that could come out sooner...they came the next day and were great!

Reply from American Home Shield

Good evening Joseph, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience to have the AC system repaired. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Linda Brooks Lithia Springs, GA

My last service request for my air conditioner was the worse. I was charged 75.00 days before the service. And I was charged twice. Each time I call and talk to a service agent, they inform me they would fix the problem and call me once the issue is resolved. Never happen. As I waited for my air conditioner to be fixed, I continue to contact regarding the charge. No one ever calls me back, not even a supervisor, which I request three times. I have to be a customer for 11 years.

Jack Love Knoxville, TN

AHS service has greatly improved over the last several years. Taken as a whole, they now respond quickly and we get service providers that have saved us a lot of money. I have to deduct a bit from the highest rating because they do allow sometimes allow only repairs when replacement is the best option.

Christopher M Hawley Loganville, GA

I have never had an issue with Home Shiedl and I always reach out to you through FaceBook and it actually seems that I have become friends with those that answer me back. I know they all know me through Facebook.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Christopher, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

John F Fitzgerald Hemet, CA

After reporting a broken exterior faucet required shutting off my main water supply . The plumbing company used by AHS did not have emergency or weekend options, so I had to cancel the request & hire a NON AHS plumber to complete the faucet repair.

Virginia Khdeir Summerville, SC

As soon as I called American Home Shield with my A/C issue they had assigned a company who called me right away to schedule an appointment. They came out and fixed everything and was professional and friendly.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Virginia, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Judy Yellow Springs, OH

Over the past three years I've needed repairs four times. Every time, it has been super easy to make the claim, and the contractor sent out was professional and did a great job.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Judy, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Carl Oxnard, CA

The home warranty business is a terrible industry, but I found AHS covers several more things than other companies. Customer support could be better. They promise to call you back and don't follow through. I had to keep calling about my service request to fix a toilet. The tech came and stayed 3 minutes. I kept calling AHS asking if my toilet will get fixed or not. They kept saying they're waiting on info from the vendor, we'll call you back, never did, then they canceled the service order and I didn't even know until I called them a week later. They said we'll see what else we can do. Then it all started over again with the same conversations! You could've just said no at first, nothing we can do, instead of taking me around for a month. Now 6 weeks later, I still don't have my toilet repaired. AHS said no because a bolt was missing. The bolt was simply down in the hole. It was corroded and had broken off. But they wouldn't cover the repair. Wasted $100. I found a youtube video to fix it, me and my son are doing it. New flange, new bolts, new wax ring, all for $25. I'm not sure if I really need a monthly AHS contract.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carl, I hate to hear about your less than satisfactory service experience to have the toilet repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

talona olson Lufkin, TX

so far all my repairs have been taken care of without any issues, except for my dryer. the repair company would not replace the part that they, themselves damaged. said AHS would not pay for the part. I told him it was not making that noise until he worked on it. still makes that noise!

George Sears Riley, KS

Fast response via email, less then the 24 hrs timeframe when I was contacted via email for scheduling a time and the company that will be contacting me. overall great response time. Dehart Plumbing has always been great.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi George, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Carolyn Triplett Rowlett, TX

Home Sheild does not alway contract the best and companies. I was referred to a plumbing company that wrote up false information regarding a repair, then the guy called AHS, provided the incorrect information to make sure I had to pay out of pocket, then offered me a deal to fully repair with a 5% discount that would have been what AHS would have covered. I contacted another Plumming company, they Diagnosed the issue properly add the cost of repair ended costing a fourth of the cost to repair the issue. I reported it to AHS and it didn't even matter.

Angela Chaney Belleville, IL

The is is extremely user friendly, soon after I hit submit shortly later I received a call set up an appt within 48 hours. The technician was friendly, knowledgeable resided the issue

Reply from American Home Shield

Good morning Angela, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Abraham Santa Ana, CA

Attaining service on their website can prove to be difficult at times and I had ordered something from them which took over 2 months to receive. Not a lot of customer service support available online in regards to their partners.

Sharona R Rice Tulsa, OK

After talking with other buyers, it seems it's hard to get things approved. I had a hard time understanding a lot of the reps I talked to as well and couldn't give me clear answers. I had a call back from one saying she had options to discuss. When I called back the new repnon the phone had no info on this and so was not given any options. I had a simple faucet change. I have an older home. It was an original faucet. Since it was quoted as damaged it was not replaced by your company and had to pay out of pocket. Even the company that I ended up working with had negative things to say about this warranty company and gave me some new companies to try. I still don't understand how a faucet can be denied. If you need a faucet fixed it is going to be from wear and tear.

Reply from American Home Shield

Good afternoon Sharona, I hate to hear about the ongoing issues that have been experienced to have the faucet and other plumbing items repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss possible resolutions.

BB Bandy, VA

On occasion it is difficult to understand the agent taking the information on my issue, and my issue does not get relayed correctly and it does cause delays in getting the work done. I know I can input my issue via the website, but I prefer human interaction. Ultimately my issues were fixed and I am a satisfied customer.

Bev Kaneohe, HI

I had a problem with my garage opener. I made a phone to American Home Shield - within a county days a company came to the house and resolved the problem to my my satisfaction.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Bev, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Millton S. Correia San Antonio, TX

We have used our home warranty many times. It has been good most of the time, but recently we have had issues with using the cash out option to purchase a ceiling fan that needs to be replaced. My wife and I have called 4 times in 2 weeks and have seen no progress. Also, when asking to escalate and speak with a supervisor, I received heavy resistance from the on phone AHS operator/technician and was told a supervisor would call me back. I have not yet received a call back.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Millton, Thank you for bringing the ceiling fan repairs to our attention. I would be glad to speak with you to discuss a resolution.

Jun. 18th, 2021

Tina Duggins Fayetteville, NC

American Home Shield is an awesome resource. They are a little slow moving, but they always come through to support the customer by standing by their word. "If they cannot fix it, they will replace it."

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tina, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Pamela Martinez Pewee Valley, KY

Rated 4 as I was told that had I not bought my own replacement faucet that I would been given a builder grade when the one that needed replacing was NOT builder grade and that troubles me..it should be similar to what I had in.

ARTHUR CROSS Brick, NJ

They did what the contract stated I had a ceiling fan that needed fixing and my plan covers all parts on a ceiling fan made appointment on line and within 24hrs my fan was fixed

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Arthur, I am so glad to hear your issue was resolved promptly and efficiently. We can't wait to take care of your next repair need with the same level of service.

Jun. 16th, 2021

Elvert Osbron Sterling Heights, MI

Not getting any response from AHS when service pro's do not fix problems. AHS has charged me for unfixed problems. Also, I have had to get my own repairman to fix issues and AHS does not even reply back too me. I have called, left messages & sent e-mails. I've had AHS for more than 2 decades, and up to 2018 I was completely satisfied. Now not so much. Wonder what has changed?

George Untal Vallejo, CA

Prompt call back to set an appointment; arrived within scheduled appointment window; quickly diagnosed the problem and fixed it! Mike was polite and very professional in dealing with us.

Jun. 14th, 2021

Terry Reid Cleburne, TX

I have used AHS for over 15 years. They are prompt, and send good people, usually, to repair items. I have learned that the small repairs are handled really well & are the reason I have a home warranty. Do not expect them to replace large items. That won’t happen, in my experience.

Amber Estrada Goose Creek, SC

Helpful and will try to cover issues that arise with your home, but you have to do your research about what exactly is covered to avoid confusion when asking for help, as the operator may be confused. Additionally, being charged 100 for each repair visit can be a bit much.

Patricia Shoemake Amarillo, TX

Frustration with return phone calls to advise me what American Home Shield will do and how they will proceed with repairs or replacement. It was one week between the time the service man came and assessed the problem until I finally received a call from AHS with their options. I chose the payout rather than wait 6 weeks for parts to arrive; it has been another week, and I still haven't received the funds promised me for my washing machine.

Michelle Scott Mount Dora, FL

Vendors do not operate locally and subsequently do not make the service calls until 4-5 days after the initial call for a needed repair. I am assuming that there are no vendors in my county so AHS must rely on vendors that are miles away. Sadly, AHS clerks are clueless to vendors accepting jobs but are quite a distance from the “job” resulting in a several day delay in showing up for the request.

Natasha Mingo Los Angeles, CA

I’m glad to have the protection but very time I have an issue it seems it is never covered by the warranty. So I’ve had to pay out of pocket each time. There is always some explanation about modifications which makes no sense because any house you buy unless new will have modifications at the time of purchase because of upgrades. It’s just really frustrating.

James C Starnes Riverview, FL

So far, so good. Every problem has been addressed with prompt courtesy. However, some of there contractors leave a little to be desired as far as being able to reach them with ease, but the help department is always really available to assist with contacting contractor when you cannot reach them.

Jason Thatcher Saint Cloud, FL

Coverage has been excellent so far. Repairs have been acceptable. I'm very happy with the cost vs coverage. The ROI is great. Some vendor work coordination has been rough, only gripe

Reply from American Home Shield

Good afternoon Jaosn, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the vendors that have serviced you. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Jun. 8th, 2021

R.S. Burget Weslaco, TX

The speed of service and using responsible and reliable contractors to do the work. I have been very pleased with all of the people that have repaired and or replaced my appliances with Home Shield.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi R.S., Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Jun. 8th, 2021

george s hines Cary, NC

when doing measurement on appliances on things need to have appliances people do measurements. I have a stove that is 1and half inches to large to go into wall. I now have to pay someone to come in and do carpentry work and then have it put stove in!!

Melanie VanDine San Antonio, TX

Everyone that I have spoken with at American Home Shield has been very polite and helpful. They have answered all my questions, explained everything and when took the time to look into things when asked. Awesome staff!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Melanie, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Rachel Parrish Liberty Hill, TX

I was without AC for over 6 weeks, they kept sending the same company out that never could figure out what was wrong. We requested a different service company but was told that he was our only option. It took me filing a complaint with the BBB to finally get them to agree to send someone else out who was able to fix the simple issue in minutes.

Charles Nelson Kingsland, GA

My water heater was leaking from the bottom of the water heater, the first company they had to fix it never called me back to setup an appointment, they tried to call as well but no response. Then the second company they contacted, called me 5 minutes after I got off the phone with AHS, they took care of my problem the next day.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Charles, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Virginia Novak Lake Forest, CA

I gave a 5-star rating for American Home Shield as whenever we had a problem, they answered the call QUICKLY & sent someone out in a good amount of time & either fixed the problem, without having to pay very much at all or else gave us a very good amount to replace the appliance if it couldn't be repaired.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Virginia, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Kelly C. Loves Park, IL

AHS has come through for us the 2 times we've needed them. They have replaced a microwave and a water heater. The process was very easy. The contractors were quick to help and both were professional. I would definitely recommend AHS.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kelly, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Jun. 4th, 2021

Goke Ademiluyi Holly Springs, NC

They are very responsive. They use good service people. If they can’t fix the appliance they will provide a replacement with no hassle. They allow you to put multiple appliances on one ticket so that you don’t have to pay a service charge for each appliance.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Goke, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

May. 24th, 2021

Kevin T Watanabe Ewa Beach, HI

I've only had AHS for about 3 months and they have shown to provide a wide range of coverage and the technicians that I've had to deal with thus far have been very professional with the exception of 1 appliance tech who seemed confused

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kevin, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

May. 22nd, 2021

Lee Richmond, VA

Fixed all my issues and they are quick to respond to service calls. Website is user friendly easy to navigate. My appliances are 27 years old. Had the Ac fixed 3 times and a new refrigerator installed. Plumbing issues resolved. Electric issues resolved. Very satisfied.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lee, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

May. 25th, 2021