Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

Daniel Leesburg, VA

Great home appliances warranty. Very responsive and quality worth your money

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Daniel, We will continue to provide you with great customer service and a piece of mind to your home repairs.

Albert Kellar Martinsville, IN

They always have taken care of all our needs with no hassle at all.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Albert, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy!

May. 5th, 2021

PC Whitewright, TX

No problems with them so far. Quick service. Always great service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi PC, Thank you for your feedback and we hope you continue to enjoy American Home Shield and the customer service we provide!

May. 4th, 2021

Kathleen A Cravedi Las Vegas, NV

So far always good service always been there when I needed them

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kathleen, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Mary McAllister Pittsburgh, PA

Dependable, timely response time and they deal with good companies.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mary, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Cathrine Bahn Ewa Beach, HI

Problems with oversees customer service twice already. I was so irritated! It took over a week to get service.

Patricia Hokett Goldsboro, NC

Very polite and knowledgeable, and they showed concern about my situation.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Patricia, We strive to provide you with knowledgeable techs to repair your home repairs!

Christopher Herndon, VA

Good service, good value. I had policies on all of my properties.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Christopher, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service and coverage you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy!

Mia Taylor Spring, TX

The few times we've had to use them, we were satisfied with the service

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mia, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy!

May. 5th, 2021

Jeremy Fresno, CA

Only had used twice one was good and they fixed the problem the other they only fixed half the problem and guy ran off.

Eli Middletown, DE

Not realiable and customer not educated on the products they sell. They do not cover for a lot of things in the household.

Pamela Gray Round Rock, TX

Prompt service; quality vendor; overall excellent customer service

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Pamela, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

May. 3rd, 2021

Dan Guzman Medford, OR

I was a small bit frustrated with having to work with their definition of urgent, and not mine.

James

I love my AHS policy. The only thing that keeps AHS from being perfect is that the process of getting a repair done usually follows a particular pattern: the service person comes out and diagnoses the problem, then says they will check in with AHS before they will schedule the repair or order the part or whatever. Then there will be like a week, sometimes two, sometimes three, when nothing happens. Eventually, I will get a note from AHS asking me to review the service I received, usually before the repair has been completed. Then I will call AHS to get an update on the repair, and find out that some technicality kept the repair from being completed. A little back and forth with AHS will ensue, and then I will receive a call from the service company and the repair will be scheduled and completed. This is literally the same process I have gone through with AHS on nearly every repair for 20 years. I'm usually very happy with the service when it's all done, and I'm always grateful that I have an AHS policy. Nowadays, I just remind myself that it's going to be a process before I engage with AHS on a repair, and that helps me to be patient.

Alexandra Sanchez

Still working out some kinks closing out our contract  (as it is a process). We got this home warranty because a friend recommended it she has had a great experience with them.We encountered various problems and for several months it was a very distressing, frustrating situation;  finally we got in contact with an excellent  E-Service Supervisor, Tara has been very  empathetic and an employee with a high degree of professionalism.  Tara did apologize for the miscommunication and  explained that the home warranty will not always fit all consumer needs, it didn't work for us, however we have heard great reviews. Tara is still working on our contract and she promised that we will receive a refund when this is complete: A grand total of $574.99. What feedback would you give the company directly? Recommended Strategies to AHS to improve Customer relationship management Turn Mistakes Into Unforgettable Experiences: It shows people how much your company really cares about costumers, and it really takes the people  by surprise in a pleasant way. Provide Fast, Convenient Customer SupportWhen consumers encounter a problem with your services they expect you to offer a fairly quickly, decent response. Think about it – people today don’t have a lot of free time. Thus, having to spend even half an hour on dealing with customer support can seriously harm customer satisfaction levels. The best thing a company can do to offer them great customer support is to “value their time.” Offer Omnichannel SupportHow easy is it for your customers to contact you? One of the most common complaints is that getting in touch with support – particularly a real, live person. Consumers nowadays use multiple channels and devices to shop around to ensure the customer has a seamless experience no matter the channel they use.Your strategy should cover:Email supportPhone supportLive chat supportSocial media support (the exact platform/platforms your customers use) Focus on Common Complaints & Provide SolutionsThis is something your management team should primarily handle. The idea is for them to take a really close look at your customers’ feedback, and identify the main 3 common, recurring complaints people have. What recommendations would you give others who are considering this company? Recommendations for new customers ... Questions to Ask About Coverage Before you buy a home warranty, consider how comfortable you are with the answers to these queries. How much will this warranty cost? The answer depends on the kind of plan you buy and the provider you choose.  In addition to the cost of the plan, there are additional expenses. If you have a problem with an appliance or system, even one that's covered, you’ll have to make a copayment when the contractor comes in to do the work.  Am I clear about what the warranty covers? Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully. Sometimes, if your appliance breaks under certain circumstances —that allows the provider to deny coverage of the item. Will this plan repair or replace a broken item? Most home warranties explain that if a repair is considered too expensive, the provider might offer to replace the broken item instead. Some home warranty companies may give you only the depreciated value, requiring you to pay the difference out of pocket to get the same model you had before.

Danny Smith Bedford, TX

Customer Service & Professionalism. We were extremely impressed with the display of determination that HomeShield gave our family in completing the service to our A/C Unit especially given the heat at the time. The Tech was very trained as he was able ti repair the problem is a fast and efficient time. The customer service we received from both HomeShield and the Contracter was impeccable. With 5 children and a Grandbaby my wife and i were pleased to have experienced the treatment we received. It was a pleasant experience and we will reference and refer HomeShield to all our family and friends. Thanks again.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Danny, Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Our goal is to pair you with contractors that are knowledgeable and able to explain what is going on. We look forward to our continued business together. Have a good day.

Aug. 19th, 2020

lada Westminster, CA

They hire contractors that mostly have 1-star yelp reviews.. because those contractors are not able to fix anything.. I am on month 9 since my dishwasher broke. Spend hours on the phone, my case was "referred to contractor relationship unit", "expedited", "referred to supervisor". They promise to call you back and NEVER do. I still do not have a working dishwasher.

Robert W. Snow Clinton, MI

good company they advertize fixing things and they do, they just did'nt balance the washer before they leftft

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Robert, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy!

Juanita Gipaya Banta, CA

The staff have a difficult job. They were so supportive with a difficult vendor in a stressful situation.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Juanita, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with fast and efficient repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Margo Gaskins Washington, DC

The customer service is horrible, I have been waiting since January to have my microwave repaired. They have the vendor GE working with them and their COMMUNICATION is worse than American Home Shield. I will no longer recommend them to family or friends as I have in the past.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Margo, I hate to hear about your most recent issues with AHS to have the microwave repaired through GE. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 27th, 2021

Senior Wilmington, NC

Ease of requesting service, timely, good contractors. Only negative is price increases is making it too costly for seniors.

Sandra Round Rock, TX

They send reliable contractors that get the job done. Was pleased with the contractor, he was prompt and efficient.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sandra, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Terry Rankin Cumming, GA

Have had 4 AC and a ice maker go out. All were fixed and a check was given to replace the ice maker.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Terry, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the AC and ice maker repairs. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Jay Thornton, CO

Not all their contractors have been great but to AHS credit if you don't like one they will reasign and note your preference in your file.

Faris Aurora, CO

Fast response and scheduling. It took only 6 hours from scheduling to completed repair for my furnace.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Faris, We appreciate your feedback about the quick repsonse of our technicians and the repairs that were completed on the furnace. We hope you continue to enjoy AHS and the service provided.

Meghan Linesville, PA

been very helpful so far! the response time has been great, and the customer service is always friendly

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Meghan, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Veronica Boston Amarillo, TX

They have always taken care of us. They listen to our needs and have always been friendly and helpful.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Veronica, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Frances Shaffer-Gunn Wildomar, CA

1) Do not replace appliances with equivalent brands but use off brands; 2) refused to re-warranty my whirlpool bathtub after it was repaired by an unlicensed handyman, even though no one else would repair it

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Frances, I hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the dishwasher repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 23rd, 2021

Blake Talley Waxhaw, NC

I haven't had any problems with them. They are quick to respond and/or resolve any issue I may have.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Blake, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Anonymous San Marcos, TX

It is voluntary insurance, essentially. The policies only cover certain situations. I have used them in the past, but currently do not have a policy with them.

Nicole Kilgore Lawton, OK

I have not had a bad experience. American Home Shield has provided security and assurance where I didn't have it before.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Nicole, We really appreciate you taking the time to share your rating with us. We look forward to servicing you again soon.

Apr. 23rd, 2021

Surajit Frisco, TX

Good Service and have well connected with local agent to make the work done effectively and in timely manner,

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Surajit, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

James Irick Harker Heights, TX

Instead of fixing problems they just put a band aid on it. I have had my air conditioning looked at every year for about 6 to 7 years and all they do fix the problem for the moment not for the long term.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi James, Thank you for bringing the ongoing AC issues to American Home Shields attention. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 27th, 2021

Karen Dunn Saratoga, CA

Excellent Service Vendors with quick response and high quality results. Alex, from BJ Appliance is the best!

Reply from American Home Shield

Good afternoon Karen, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

David Keyser Killeen, TX

Very helpful excellent service recommend it to anyone who wants a very good warranty program anyone

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi David, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy!

Ann Plaier Metairie, LA

They were prompt in responding to my crisis and the contractor they sent out was competent and timely.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ann, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Ron Gruchow Greenwood, IN

The last 2 calls have been handled well. One call for urgent service caused me to seek help elsewhere

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ron, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Carol N Applegarth and Richard E Applegarth Hollywood, MD

Because you said you cover sump pumps but have a clause that won't cover it you need to send a full explanation for every it you cover and why you wont cover italso you set up another contractor to come to the house and there has been no response

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carol, I hate to hear about the sump pump work order that you experienced issues with. I would be glad to speak with you at your convenience.

Apr. 28th, 2021

Fred Simmons Upper Marlboro, MD

American Home Shied does not allow the customer to make a complaint and recieve an adequate response.When the original request is question they advise the customer the will review the recording and they never get back to prompting their answer to be you have to put another order and pay another $100

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Fred, Thank you for bringing your most recent AHS experience to our attention. I owuld be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Renee Farmar Saint Louis, MO

Prompt response coupled with good advice. Problem was resolved by 📞 by the appropriate professional.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Renee, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Tim Newbury Park, CA

Because in most cases the time between making the repair request and the repair getting completed is not treated as a priority.

Arlen H. Covington, LA

They have been very good at handling any claims I have had, I feel they could communicate better by keeping the home owner better informed of your options

Christopher Fuentes Burke, VA

I've had AHS for a few months, and just recently reached out for a simple question. The rep was not clear in their responses, and was put on hold several times. As I became frustrated with the lack of attention to my concerns, I asked about the process of cancelling, and had some questions about that process. I was then told I had to be transferred to a new dept, of course, and then lost connection when being transferred. AHS still proceeded with a cancellation despite never being redirected over to the proper dept. Within 2 days I was notified my account was closed and I had an admin fee I had to pay. I then called back to get status on my account and then after being redirected 3 times to different departments, and giving my info each time, did they confirm my account was closed. When transferred to the last rep, she was still talking to the prior rep, and did not know I was on the call already. AHS was more willing to close my account then resolve and try to keep a customer, despite a referral who signed up, which was my original reason for calling. Keep in mind, this entire occurrence was outside of any claim/service request being filed. I have never filed a claim/sr with AHS, however, this horrible experience was a clear sign that, should I ever need to submit a claim or service request, it would be equally exhausting and was not worth my money to remain a customer. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for your home warranty service.

Jane O. La Mesa, CA

NIGHTMARE. It has taken them 4 months to assess a simple shower leak and it is still not solved. First, they tried to tell us it was a different issue that wasn't covered, so we went to get a second opinion outside of AHS, which diagnosed a different (and ultimately correct) issue, and we went back to AHS to have their "second opinion" contractor come out and confirmed that the independent contractor we hired was indeed correct. Then AHS told us they couldn't fix it because of an access issue with the tile on the shower floor and that they wouldn't cover the removal of the tile and wouldn't fix it because of the access. So we removed the tile as agreed to by AHS, but they closed out the order on their end so when we called the AHS designated contractor to repair the leak now that the access was clear, he said he couldn't come out because AHS had closed the issue on their end. The representative on the phone informed me that since they closed the case erroneously, I'd have to open a new case and pay the service fee AGAIN, despite the fact the issue was never resolved in the first place and it was AHS's error that the request was closed. So now 4 months and three service call fees later, we are still calling AHS daily to do the repair job, and still have no shower. Between the service call fees and the monthly charge, I could have already paid someone to do the repair on our own. A complete joke.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jane, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience with the companies that have serviced your home repairs. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Sarah Villa Park, IL

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. American Home Shield assigned a contractor who generated a false diagnosis on my A/C unit. They refused to share the documents and pictures taken on my property by Make it Right Heating and Cooling. After I complained about this contractor they wanted to charge me $100 for a second opinion. I have been without A/C for weeks, with a medical condition. Home Shield updated failed to service my A/C unit, after I purchase their best warranty and paid $100 for the tech to come out. This is consumer fraud because they have taken my money and won't deliver on their services. Their contractors are not objective and create false statements in their reports. American Home Shield supports this behavior because it gets them out of paying for any replacements.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sarah, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the AC unit repaired. I would be glad to speak with you about the second opinion and options to reach a resolution.

Apr. 29th, 2021

DPhinney Houston, TX

I put in a service request for my pool on 3/28. I received an email from the vendor stating they were backed up and could not come til 4/12. My contract states the vendor will come out within 24 hours and this has always been the case in the past 9 years that I have been paying for this service. I researched the vendor and found horrible reviews about them on multiple sites and the BBB. I contacted AHS and requested that another vendor be assigned to my work order. I was told they were the only available vendor. A pool company that is located in another city 3 1/2 hours away from me is the only vendor available? I have no choice. By the time the vendor showed up I had already fixed what I was having an issue with but I asked the technician to check it just to be sure. So, to be clear there was nothing wrong with my pool at that point. I didn't stay with him at the equipment. Afterwards, he came and told me he didn't find any issues and left. I went out of town that evening for a couple of days and when I returned I went to check on the pool and noticed that my pool pump basket was left out and had been running. The pressure on the filter was low and now there was a leak at the plumbing to the filter. I contacted the vendor (by email because they do not answer the phone) and received the same email as last time. I put in a follow up request on line with AHS for the vendor to come back out. I received an email from the vendor stating that the technician said he didn’t remove the basket but they would send someone out in a week. I again contacted AHS and asked to assign a different vendor. They said they would assign a new vendor and escalate my request. This went on every day for a week and then AHS said that the original vendor had to come back because they caused the problem. AHS assured me we were on the schedule and they would arrive today between 8am-12pm. They didn't come. I emailed the vendor and they told me that I was not on the schedule that they canceled the follow-up visit a week ago and that there technician is positive he didn't leave the basket out and that someone else must have and I should ask around. NO ONE was at my house while I was gone and certainly no one removed the basket in my absence. I was lied to repeatedly by AHS everyday for a week! My pool isn't fixed so I went back online to AHS and put in a new service request and to my horror the same vendor was assigned. This has been the most frustrating and infuriating experience I have had with a company especially give that I have been a paying customer for NINE years.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi D Phinney, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience with the companies that have serviced your home repairs. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Anonymous Beaufort, SC

It’s great for appliances. But when it comes to AC units it can get pricey depending on if you’re using old Refrigerant or the newer refrigerant. Had to pay over 1000 just for refrigerant

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Apr. 9th, 2021

William Bass Lubbock, TX

They deliver as promised. I called one morning and it was completely finished by 4:30 that afternoon. Great service company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us regarding your service request.

Apr. 8th, 2021

Patricia Aaron Gretna, NE

Communication is difficult. No feedback from service provider in many cases. Information within my account is not adequate. Very difficult to speak to someone who really understands what I'm asking and who can respond adequately.

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Apr. 8th, 2021

Amanda Hogan Wentzville, MO

The customer service I have had has been difficult over the last 3 months and am told conflicting information - blamed would be my reaction on any calls. But, the appliance repair technicians are always amazing.