Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

Wendy Hallmark Royse City, TX

I made a service call on June 11 and they still have not fixed my attic fan. I can only speak to someone in the Philippines, no one in the United States. The electrician blames American home shield and says the part hasn't been approved in American home shield blames the electrician that they haven't filled out the paperwork right. The right thing to do would be for American home shield to reassign my case to someone else but they just like to let things sit. This is not the first experience I've had with American home shield. We are moving at the end of this month and I will not renew with American home shield. I will go with a company that has people that I can talk to in the United States. I have been a customer for seven years and they will lose that long term, faithful customer because they aren't doing their part.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Wendy. I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience with resolving the issue for your attic fan. We are here to assist and address your concerns. I see that an agent has been assigned and is currently working with you. Thank you for your patience as we work towards a resolution.

Jul. 21st, 2021

Rebecca Carter Weatherford, TX

2 ac techs said I got under my house and messed up my duct work. First they only stick their head in and tried to look with a flashlight. I just bought this house and am disabled. I have not been under the house. Secondly the guy who came out for dryer told AHS it was still under my warranty and it was not. So I had to pay for a new one.

Sharon Spence Cedar Creek, TX

Contractors are taking too long to get an appointment scheduled. I understand that things are different because of COVID but, I had to wait a week and a half to get my stove fixed!!

Shirley J Dennie West Palm Beach, FL

Poor to none communication from the supervisors (Mr Kelly) and the CEO Rex T. Mr Kelly was advised multiple times of my concern to speak to with him in hopes that he could get results for the service on my central air condition.. I have been without air for over two weeks with a part being ordered. I expressed the unit is leaking and damaging my wood flooring and baseboard newly installed but that is not important to them because I"m told it nothing they do for the flooring Also I express my tenants are elderly in there 80 with heat in the 85 degrees. Not a concern. This is very poor service. Another concern if they have qualified technicians as vendors. This is UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE for temperatures in Florida vised by multiple customer service agents my concerns to speak with a higher position person I was promised a call back for two days nothing yet the CEO when call you are transferred to customer service. I have expressed my concerncings with ce

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shirley. I do hate to hear that the issue with your air conditioning has not been resolved. I can see why this would be upsetting with elderly tenants in the home. I would be happy to speak with you and see how I may assist with a resolution.

Jul. 8th, 2021

Roger A Bink Glendora, CA

time is of the essence when it comes to repair needs and while some contractors are great and super responsive, others are less responsive and concerned about the homeowner needs. This is also complicated by the process of getting approval from AHS to proceed and then getting an appointment to actually get the job done

Cg Orangeburg, SC

American Home Shield is a great thing to have because of the extent of the coverage. However, you are not notified in advance that your renewal fee has increased from what you paid the previous year.

Elizabeth Donise Farnum Sun City, CA

customer service not that great your on hold forever and no one get back to you. I am still waiting confirmation on a claims I submitted due to an water heater that blew up. I have called several time sent several emails nothing back. Only this general email no real correspondence

Marcelo Castro Saint Augustine, FL

My faucet had to be replaced, and to do that, they had to cut my drywall. The faucet work was great, and I was told someone would be calling me to schedule the dry wall repair. Nobody did that, and I had to repair on my own expenses.

Helen Funches Jackson, MS

I have trouble with my air conditioning many times that won't to charge me 75 dollor and still threaten me talking about closing my account they had to come out 3 time in month for my air conditioning and last year and the year before that something is not right if you done been out is for the same thing 4 or 5 time I pay all most 800 a year and for what bad service

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Helen, I hate to hear about your most recent experience to have the air conditioner repairs completed. I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues resolved.

Srinivasan Balaji Oakmont, PA

Follow-up has been non-existent with my recent repair request. It's been 7 days since the repair company was here -- I have called American Shield 4 times with no real updates. And now another 2-day wait while "the approvals team reviews" the findings. Meanwhile, we are literally buying essential food items every couple of days because they are going bad in our non-functioning refregierator

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Srinivasan. Thank you for your feedback and letting us know that the issue with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I am sure it is very inconvenient to be without your refrigerator. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution to this matter.

Cindy Page Katy, TX

My dryer has been out almost a month. I had a video conference with their contractor and after not hearing from them for a week I called AHS. They called the contractor and they made an appt for the following week. The contractor cancelled my appt w/o telling me. I waited on them all day and when I called for a status update is when I found out. They cancelled 2 more appts after that w/o telling me. I have been calling almost daily to AHS asking for a different service co and they give me the run around. Yesterday was the final straw. I was scheduled again between 10 and 2 and when they didn't show we called to talk to a supervisor. Still haven't heard from a supervisor, but the service guy came at 5:30 after my husband and I both called and he didn't have the part. Said it was a wasted trip since the problem was already diagnosed and he wasn't given the part. Extremely frustrated and very dissatisfied.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Cindy, I hate to hear about the delay in service that has been experienced. I will be glad to speak with you to get the dryer repaired.

Jul. 16th, 2021

Connie Gaham Keithville, LA

My experience with American Home Shield was not handled well as for as my claim for repair/replacement of my upright freezer. There was a communition barrier between the customer sevice person and myself. It was difficult to understand her. I had to ask her to repeat herself several times and I had to repeat to also. I told her I was having problems with my stand alone upright freezer and she would repeat upright icemaker. I would correct her and tell her it's not an icemaker but an upright freezer and she also videotaped it. I asked to speak to her supervisor but was told that she had to take my name and phone number and give it to him to call me back in the order in which my call was received. (Still waiting on that call). When the A-1 technician cam to my house he said this's not a upright icemaker and I said , I know but I couldn't get the lady to understand that. to sum it all up I paid $100.00 for nothing because you don't replace free standing upright freezers or icemakers. So I went out and paid $305.44 for a new upright freezer. Out of total 405.44. This could have all been avoided if she had allowed me to speak to her supervisor. I thought by getting the home warranty American Home Shield had that I would have been covered for the free standing upright freezer. My bad. I hope I don't have anything else not covered under American Home Shield at $959.88/year.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Connie, Thank you for letting us know that the issue has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution.

Dale Rodgers Layton Round Rock, TX

I just(2021) had to spend $1400 out-of-pocket to replace the A/C coil; last year(2020) I had to pay $630 to replace my water heater; in 2017 I had to pay $3,750 to replace my A/C unit; all of these were for "non-covered" items; seems like that's the standard now on top of a $100 service call each time and $900 annual fee

Chelsee Self Fort Worth, TX

Wait time to speak to a person has been as high as 50 minutes and then they still put you on hold. Repairs are not covered like they should be. Leaking shower that is under warranty but they won't cover getting into the wall or “creating and access”. I can understand not paying to put it back but getting to the leak should be covered.

Rebecca Wexler Montgomery, TX

Very prompt response. We have been pleased with how quickly things are taken care of and with the contracted companies they use. Good contact from all. Polite & efficient.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Rebecca. Thank you for such a positive review. We strive to provide prompt and dependable service for our members, and it makes us very happy to hear that we have been able to do that for you.

Vicky Ann McAteer Salida, CA

When an A/C goes out during a triple digit heat wave, contractor should get back to people. AHS phone reps should not tell people the Contractor will call them as soon as they finish the job they are on when all the Service rep did was leave a voicemail for the Contractor. I could have lost my pets.

Jehri Montoya Tehachapi, CA

They are quick to respond and assign a job. They will try to fix anything before replacing it, but they will replace anything that fails after trying to fix it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jehri. Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you have been happy with the coverage we offer. Please continue to let us know how we are doing. It helps us to provide you with an even better experience for your next repair need.

Maisha Atlanta, GA

Service has been propped reimbursement was extremely timely and the technicians that have come out I've been very professional and knowledgeable and their trade.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Maisha, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Ranjit Charles Delaware, OH

Good vendor follow up. Vendor was open to work with AHS. In the past I have seen vendors shy away from as they were not reimbursed on time or there were payment issues.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ranjit, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Ellen Rayner Baton Rouge, LA

I have been a member of AHS for close to 30 years and have seen a decrease in quality over the years. I'd say for the past 10 years the disorganization was basically dreadful with the company having to use contractors from way far out of town and always late some never showing at all

Ruby Jones Birmingham, AL

My service for plumbing work left me no satisfied. The job was incomplete and the options are not at my best interest at this time. I'm unable to purchase the suggestion for the kitchen faucets and the bathroom shower is still leaking.

Shari Dzalak Saint Charles, MO

In most instances I have very little difficulty getting my issues fixed. There was a time where I had to fight and I almost left but customer service has improved greatly over the last couple of years.

Bryce Seattle, WA

I appreciate that they are often responsive and empathetic to our issues, but getting things covered by them can be an absolute nightmare, requiring me to spend hours on hours on the phone with them. Recently, their hold times have increased significantly, making it even more painful

Tempest Hyman Norfolk, VA

My washing machine and stove went out at the same time. They were able to fix the washing machine but not the stove. They gave me a brand new stove and I love it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tempest. Thank you for the positive feed back. We are very happy the service for your appliances went so well. We strive to provide dependable coverage our members can trust. We look forward to providing you with great service for your next repair need as well.

Cecil Middleton Killeen, TX

Because of their agents who work in customer service not always willing to listen to questions you're trying to ask. Leaving you on hold for too long, switching you to Spanish speaking computer line, if you ask them to say their name again. Or just hanging up on you; I'm not quite sure what that was over?

Pedro Hernandez Roanoke, TX

The reason I did not give it a 5 star review is because of the long wait required to get an AC compressor approved and replaced. It takes approximately 2 weeks! In 90 and above summer days, 2 weeks to get your AC working again is cruel and unusual punishment.

Susan Holste Chandler, AZ

I understand the value of this service, but the length of time to get things resolved can be frustrating. For instance, it is now June 24 and we have not had a working refrigerator since February 6. Our problem is that we have a built-in refrigerator. It would be too expensive to replace under their guidelines, but fixing it is proving to difficult a job.

Wayne G. Jones Jonesboro, GA

Had service in previous years and service for me and my family have on improved, with new and same professional, consistent service. Best provider to date based on my peers and other home owners.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Wayne. It is so good to hear that you have been pleased with the service we provide. We value your opinion and feedback. We will continue to strive to provide you with reliable and consistent service.

Susan Yardley Vagnino Saint Louis, MO

We have a large home and a rental property. I don't have to worry about appliance repairs costing an arm and a leg. We've used them for over 10 years. They replaced a dishwasher after a repeat repair wasn't effective.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Susan. Thank you for the positive review. We strive to take the hassle out of home repairs and we are so excited that we have been able to take care of your repair needs. Thank you for trusting AHS.

Stacy Harris Saint Louis, MO

American Home Shield has provided prompt customer service each time I have need of service. The vendors/contractors they use have knowledge of the repairs I have needed in the past.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you, Stacy, for taking time to let us know how we are doing and that you have been pleased with the venors. We understand how important it is to provide dependale service to our members. We are so happy that we have been able to do that for you.

Sandra Picot Columbia, MD

Several weeks ago, I had a problem with my garage door. There were several mistakes made: inability of agent to understand the problem, cancellations of repair companies either with them, not me and vice versa. It almost one week. Agents would not allow me to talk with a supervisor. Finally, I called Fred J. They gave me a tip that resulted in my being able to fix the problem myself.

Stephanie Leach Nevada, TX

We have had nothing but great experiences with AHS. We have had our first claim that requires a product replacement and it has been so easy!! It is worth every penny and more!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Stephanie. We are so happy to hear that you have had great experiences and that your replacement was taken care of. We can't wait to provide you with a great experience again in the future. Thank you for being a valued member of AHS.

Robert Dielvendorf Farmington, MN

It is very easy to file a claim and schedule service. The contractors they use are top notch. The only reason for not giving them 5 stars is that the amount they will authorize for replacement of a major appliance (ex. Furnace, AC) is only sufficient to cover an entry level product.

Felix Figueroa Iii

The initial inquiry for a technician to come out was easy. The company that came to install the hood vent could not do so due to an outlet issue. Issue was fixed but I had to call various numbers to get another technician out. Wait times over 30 min.

Janet Strother Spring, TX

There have been a couple small things they would not cover that I thought they should, but overall they have responded promptly to my requests for service and have sent very competent, professional contractors to provide the needed service.

Jesse Zepeda Sanger, CA

The monthly price for coverage has gone up every year since I started and the service company they sent out to service my refrigerator was very unprofessional. They did help me purchase an new refrigerator that couldn't be fixed and the company they sent out to fix my AC were able to fix it right away.

Deborah Benner Jacksonville, NC

My last few experiences with customer service was horrendous. I do not appreciate having to communicate with people whom I cannot understand and who cannot understand me, or being put on hold for well over 30 minutes without checking to see if I am alright any to apologize for waiting that long or scheduling a contractor that isn't a member of the BBB and is not listed anywhere as a contractor and has been sued by half of the area I live. It took almost 3 days to get a contractor that was requested when I became a member several years ago. Last year my air unit went up and athe contractor that was scheduled wasn't the one that was supposed to come to my home instead this person did not turn off the power to the unit and fell up against it knocking other parts inside of the unit which caused copper wiring to touch and blowing up the wiring. He then drained the freon and replaced the wiring without telling me he did so and instead of taking responsibility as everyone makes mistakes he told his company that there was a leak in the lines which there wasn't and charged me 450.00 I finally got in touch with a US rep who contacted them and they told the rep a completely different story but they weren't told the truth. I was told to stop payment that cost me 60.00. The contractor continued to harass me and even once came to my home. I continued to call AHS and they told me not to worry about it. Finally after 7 months of being harassed I had enough and the legal dept was contacted. It actually got worse before getting better. It was a horrible experience. If the contractor requested on my account would have been contacted that wouldn't have happened. Then this past time took 4 more days than it should. I have been with AHS for many years and have paid my bill on time for all of those years. I have asked for very little but for good customer service but unfortunately have not received it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the air conditioner issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Javonne Walker Concord, CA

I was told that my refrigerator couldn't be fix, I was told to call my home warranty. I was told Sears was going to delivery a new refrigerator in 48hr to 72 hrs I wait. NOTHING i call back on hold for ever, this person transfer me to the replacement dept. I was then told i should have received a email explaining my options. The first person I talked to should have explain the process.

John Deen Henderson, NV

We've been reassuring for three weeks for a call about the status of our work order. I've called three times to both AHS and Accent Air fir an update. Each said they were waiting on the other to contact them. Today Ascent said that AHS asked them for approval too replace our A/C compressor. Accent said they had responded three times. I called AHS again and he found where Accent had responded twice, I believe. The AHS person said that he thought the authorizing office is considering the request and would respond within 48 hours. At that time AHS will contact us. This is the first time we've had such trouble getting anything completed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi John, I hate to hear about your most recent service experience to have the air conditioner system repaired and the lack of follow-up. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Geri Johnston East Stroudsburg, PA

They were efficient about helping me with my issue. The plumber who came to my house was knowledgeable , professional and efficient. Integrity was the name of the company and I would recommend them highly, also professional

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Geri, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

David Wallace Jr Surprise, AZ

Always friendly but they don't get that in AZ you have to have AC...thats all we have and it goes out every summer and they just get people to badge it up and sometimes it takes a few days to get here! At 115, not acceptable. Other services have always been great.

Kathleen Shaffer Burbank, CA

When I called, I was questioned about the precise problem with my refrigerator. We even did a video chat that was able to help provide more specific details about my refrigerator.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kathleen, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Jul. 2nd, 2021

Kevin Kelly Escondido, CA

I am a new customer for American Home Shield. When I turned on my A/C and no cold was coming I called and a service man came and fixed my A/C unit at a reasonable price I was pleased.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kevin, I am pleased to hear about the excellent service you have received. I hope you continue to enjoy American Home Shield!

Jul. 2nd, 2021

Aleo K Foday Las Vegas, NV

I placed at least five calls with them, they were able to resolve them. But work order for the kitchen faucet and instant hot faucets took about three months. However, it was finally replaced with less quality faucets.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Aleo, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Christine Hansen Columbus, GA

American Home Shield is great about getting a service provider to you but slow to approve work that needs to be done including replacing an air conditioner compressor. My elderly mother lives with me and suffering with 90 degree temperatures for an undetermined length of time because the service provider cannot even order the replacement compressor till approved by AHS is unacceptable.

Bruce Nadreau Sanford, FL

They do what they advertise. Appliance service protection at an affordable price and they send out trained technicians that know what they're doing and get the job done right.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Bruce, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Araceli Linden, CA

Outstanding service! The Contractor was very knowledgeable of what he was doing. Explained the job with clarity. Easy to understand and follow. I was very satisfied with the service that was provided and would recommend American Home Shield to my friends.

Darnell Mccurdy Memphis, TN

As a Real Estate Agent, I have been recommending AHS. My clients are satisfied with the service. I am a contract holder as well, and having the coverage helps me sleep better.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Darnell, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Nadia Pendleton Laurel, MD

Quality contractors with prompt service. They also adhere to their policy that if an appliance can't be fixed, they will replace it. They've replaced our oven and washing machine.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Nadia, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Kira Dunn Elk Grove, CA

AHS is responsive to service requests, and sends out professionals in a timely manner. It feels good to know we are covered in case of problems that would otherwise cost a great deal to fix.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kira, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!