Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

Neo Lindley Lancaster, TX

American Home Shield has quick responses and a great network of reliable contractors.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Neo, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Lee Mesa, AZ

Good service when needed but monthly fee is too high. After my first service call, my fee increased.

Fred Henderson, NV

Easy to schedule and prompt response and comparable premiums compared to other companies.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Fred, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Hali Saint Petersburg, FL

Efficient quick service. Friendly maintenance technicians. Ability to complete the service quickly.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Hali, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with fast and efficient repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

May. 4th, 2021

CP Las Vegas, NV

Service fee is excessive as all is done through application. Plan fee is also excessive, just like any insurance. You never have to speak with anyone, all can be done online or through app.

Judy Boyett Amarillo, TX

They were quick to react. Company was quick to respond, very friendly and good job done.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Judy, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Denise Green Fresno, CA

Good service with very quick response when an order is placed. Repairmen appear very quickly.

Reply from American Home Shield

HI Denise, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Earnestine Johnson Summerville, SC

Always congenial. Very good at following up on satisfaction of service completed on project.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Earnestine, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

May. 7th, 2021

James G Weaver

They were very quick to respond to the issue(s) we had. The first contractor they sent out just was not up to the task and could not finish the needed work. After I contacted them anout this they profusely appologized and immediately sent out a second contractor who fixed the problem in a fraction of the time the first contractor took on his failed attempt. I am sure that the first contractor will never be called on again by AHS, and that is just as it should be. I do not fault AHS for the failure on the first attempt. They worked with us 100% and we are more than satisfied with the result.

Claire Timberlake Capitol Heights, MD

Two months later and still have a hot water tank issue. First company that they hired to come out dismissed my concerns and said it was cartridges in the showers, not the tank, but they weren't authorized by AMS to look at the cartridges, only the tank. Took several weeks to get another company out, but they had to order the cartridges. Came out yet again to replace cartridges, but one was bad. Also, this company said it was not the cartridges, but the hot water tank 100%. But they weren't authorized by AMS to look at it. Company called to schedule a diagnostic for the hot water tank, but it will take yet another trip for AMS to authorize the repair. The issue is the way AMS writes up the work orders, and nobody has authorization to properly diagnose and fix the problems. SO MUCH MORE OF HEADACHE than calling my own plumbing company!

mia blackwell-phills

Customer service reps are from are not Americans and fail to understand everything in the conversation so a lot is missed in explanation of questions customers have. They cover parts of systems (i.e., not all parts in a tankless water heater isn’t covered but they will tell you the system is covered). It’s not all bad, but your wait on the phone will be long and the coverage will be vague. It’s hit or miss.

Micaela Brown Dallas, TX

Terrible customer service. 0/10 would not recommend. They sent out a contractor on two separate instances that didn’t complete their job properly. They did nothing about the situation and accepted no accountability. The first contractor came out to fix the water heater and left saying they couldn’t access it. I had another plumber come out and he fixed it in a matter of 10 minutes. The second instance, I had a $1,400 a/c put in after they recommended the whole thing be replaced. They failed to connect the a/c power to the thermostat. When I called to have someone come back out to fix it, they stated several times there’s nothing they can do. Extremely disappointed that I wasted time and money on this company.

Maria Melero Modesto, CA

I'm very unhapy, there is no way I can talk with a manager about I did not receive the 5 contracts, i purchased,, I need them for the income tax purpose, I called many times, no body can help me. Can a manager give me a phone call, I need to resolve this problem. Thanks Maria Melero

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Maria, Thank you for bringing your most recent experience to our attention. I owuld be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution for the issues that have occurred.

Apr. 27th, 2021

Mark Edmond, OK

Unless you use their website to book appointments American Home Shield is extremely hard to contact. And, the customer service personnel speak very poor English and are very hard to understand if you don't have excellent hearing. Last year it took them over 4 months to get my pool pump repaired.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mark, I hate to hear about your most recent experience.

Apr. 26th, 2021

Steve Clark Westerville, OH

Responsive and professional. It is insurance so you won’t always need the services but glad to have it when something happens.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Steve, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Pam Coppell, TX

Customer Service is fantastic. The technician listened to our issue and immediately diganosed the problem and set forth to repair

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Pam, Customer care is our main focus! We hope you continue to enjoy AHS and the resolutions we provide!

Sandra Guajardo Brownsville, TX

Efficient, prompt. Send tech out right away. When range top too old to get parts, they replaced it with a new range top!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Sandra, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience and the new range. We strive to provide you with fast and efficient repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Vonnie Santa Rosa Beach, FL

I have had no problems and use this service a couple times a year and have been happy with American Home Shield. I would recommend to a friend.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Vonnie, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Justin Serpico Waxhaw, NC

I’ve been paying for this warranty for a lot of years. My first claim went very well. It was easier than I ever imagined

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Justin, Your patronage is more than appreciated!

Towanda Overton-Jones Woodbridge, VA

This was the best financial investment I've made in a long time. And, I feel safe to know if something goes wrong Home Shield is there to help.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Towanda, We are glad to hear about your AHS experience and will continue to provide you with a peace of home for home repairs.

Robert Moore Sacramento, CA

I've called them twice for two different issues, and they promptly had my problems repaired in no time saving me a bunch of money!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Robert, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Becky Lavender Blue Ridge, GA

I need to replace my furnace. Despite having a HS coverage I was out of pocket $3000 due to things not covered in the policy. It seems to me that AHS paid for the furnace only. ???

Carol Nokomis, FL

We were disappointed. We just moved and got them for the first time. First thing we used them for and they didn’t cover problem and you add $75 dollars service call on top of the cost of the plan. Hope this isn’t the continued way of things. We have DTE up north and haven’t had any issues and you pay a monthly fee

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carol, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience and the disappointment encountered to have the repair completed. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Apr. 28th, 2021

Victoria Barbeau Seattle, WA

They have been great, until on of the contractors they sent out made a mistake and trying to talk to a manager is nearly impossible. I think there phone people are trained to NOT put you through to a manager.

Derrick Hostin Jenks, OK

For the most part they do really well. Although 2 of their contractors never showed and I was charged for both and the third time for the refrigerator to be fixed. No refund from AHS

LaRitha Dallas, TX

A good company to have in case of an emergency. They always do a great job when I need them. I have had no problem with their service.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi LaRitha, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Apr. 22nd, 2021

Charles Rogers Marana, AZ

The basis approach of "send me $100 and we'll discuss your problem" Also, no one to discuss a problem with, just some person in Asia to repeat the rules and no number in the US that can be called.

J. Guerrero Riverdale, CA

I contacted American Home Shield for services online and was surprised on how easy and fast it was to get services for my home.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi J. Guerrero, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Apr. 22nd, 2021

Miranda Lowe Arvada, CO

My first claim with the American Home Shield did not result in any issues. However, this second claim more than a year later is nothing but issues. My stovetop isn't working and I submitted a claim. Everything seemed to move quickly. They gave it to A&P APPLIANCE REPAIR and I received a call within 15 minutes to schedule. We scheduled for the following Monday morning. That morning I received a call that they wouldn't be able to come by until Monday afternoon or Tuesday. I didn't hear back from anyone until Wednesday morning giving me a 15 minute notice to them arriving. Despite telling Angelo I would be in a meeting until 10:30 they arrived at 10:15. Angelo proceeded to not hear me out as far as the issue with my stove. He decided he knew what the issue was and how to fix it, but when he repeated back what I was experiencing with the stove it wasn't even close to the issue. I expressed my concerns to American Home Shield. They stated they would talk to the contractor so that my next experience was better. The following week we scheduled for between 9-10am. I received a call at 11:15 from Angelo saying he was at my house and asking what time we had scheduled for. He came in and quickly did the repair, but now my stove top is even worse than it was before. I contacted American Home Shield and they have tried pushing me into using Angelo again despite two bad experiences. They had A&P Appliances give me a call, Angelo sounded annoying when he asked what the problem with my stove was. Turns out it is his company and he is the only employee so there is no one else they can send. American Home Shield won't send another contractor. A supervisor was supposed to call me back after speaking to them last Monday. I was trying to be patient but I cook every day so the stove top not working is an issue for me daily, it is now Thursday of the following week so I called back. I am told that a supervisor is looking into this, I am not allowed to know what the supervisors name is and they pretty much just rushed me off of the phone. I was getting another call on the other line so I thought it might be them giving me a call back but it was not. They promise a service guarantee but when there is an issue they just ignore you. I think I need to cancel and switch companies at this point.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Miranda, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience with the companies that have serviced your home repairs. I would be glad to speak with you to get the issues resolved.

Apr. 30th, 2021

Furb Bushnav Katy, TX

READ THIS FIRST: Up until your HVAC is the one up for repair Got this home warranty from the seller from when we bought our 10 yrs old house. Pay a $75 fee for booking the service and they send a contractor. I got to use 3x since May 2020 and all went well, problems fixed (electrical and overhead microwave with no out of pockets and an a/c freon recharge where the coverage AHS has to pay is only $10/ pound with me shelling out the rest of the cost totaling $375). The other day, I called in for A/C not cooling and was not heating up last winter in the 3 rooms on the 2nd floor The appointment was set and I met with the assigned contractor today. He informed me and showed me that the A/C refrigerant coil was leaking (not so sure how that is related to the heater problem that I told him) and I was told that he will write a ticket and send to AHS. Then the email came, "There are limitations associated with approving your HVAC for dispatch 61------- under your American Home Shield home service contract at ----Home Address-------. Please call 833.603.0586 to learn more". I called and low and behold, only the parts will be covered (not sure about the labor) and the rest of it like "drain pan, supply mode, drain lines, refrigerant line etc..etc.." are not included and I am expected to pay for it totaling to about $1,500++. My contribution to the Freon I understand but the others costs are mind-boggling. I got so confused and asked the service adviser to explain why I have to pay that much and he said it is because those parts are not included as a part of the unit. What confuses me is that how can those be not part of the unit. Without those parts, the whole system would not function. It will just be a hunk of metal and wires. AHS's should not include HVAC coverages in their list if this is how they approach HVAC repairs. Google says the cost of the repair for my A/C's issue is between $600 - $ 2,000 (parts and labor included). If I would be paying the contractor $1500++, doing the math, what is AHS paying for? I gave this review 2 stars because of previous services, and a negative 3 on how they approach HVAC repairs.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Furb, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience with the companies that have serviced your home repairs. I would be glad to speak with you to get the HVAC issues resolved.

Apr. 30th, 2021

Jolanda Plymouth, NC

The service is great. Like the ease of scheduling and the convenience of having vetted professionals that I trust based on the American Home Shield brand name.

Reply from American Home Shield

I am happy that you were happy with your experience. Although we hope there are no issues with anything in the home in the future, we are here to service you anytime you need us. Thanks for continuing your business with us. Take care!

Jenn Salisbury, MD

The contractor messed up my water heater looking for the valve to shut the water off which was NOT even the reason I called!!! And they believe him when he said he didn’t😑 They told me in order to get it fixed or looked @ I would have to pay them $75! When it was NOTHING wrong with it before the plumber got there!! So now it’s under “investigation” I will update in 10 days that’s how long the investigation takes until then I’m mopping my floor from water!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jenn, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS experience to have the water heater repaired. I would be glad to speak with you about the delay.

Kim Kempton San Mateo, CA

They replaced my water heater with an inferior product. Now they won't communicate with me or rectify the situation. Only offshore call centers handling calls, so frustrating!! We can't even wash a dish and take shower without running completely out of hot water. I'm so disappointed. Plus their vendor/installer took me for an additional $660. They have been out here three times to fix my refrigerator and not it is doing the same thing again. Had to pay another $100 to get them to come out for the 4th time!!! Please contact me if you want the whole story on the water heater, it was as SHADY AS IT GETS!

Reply from American Home Shield

I hate to hear you were not satisfied with your experience with us and I would like to connect with you regarding it.

Suzzane Ann Paguia-Patigas San Jose, CA

They did well on my other claims and they failed on the two claims I had with them. Poor customer service. No prompt response to my concerns. It stopped on their customer service which doesnt do anything other apologize. No resolution on my two other claims.

Connie Barton Palmetto, FL

Our washer stopped working and the part was no longer available. They gave us a choice of replacing the washer or sending us a check so we could select one of our own.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Connie, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Apr. 13th, 2021

Bercha Gatesville, TX

I did not like the fact that on an ac repair that required freon replacement they only paid a very small portion 10 dollars a pound it ended up costing over 500 dollars out of pocket

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Apr. 13th, 2021

Danny San Antonio, TX

I guess i should have red AHS fine print ...I had to pay over 1000 dollars because AC company you guys sent told me i need some new parts that according to their technician said i already had so that company gave me two different stories ..tech located in san antonio was very knowledgeble ...but the corporate person i spoke to was very rude he asked me questions that he knew i wouldnt know about AC and i answered and he said i was wrong ...of course i was wrong i am a radio person not AC person..very rude CHUCK was very rude ..I wish you and all home warranties would choose respectable companys that i see on the Teli instead you guys send companys that i have never heard of ....

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Danny, Thank you for bringing the noncovered cost to have the air conditioner repairs completed to American Home Shield's attention. I would be glad to speak with you.

Apr. 14th, 2021

Tina Arlington, TX

So far, so good! It's there when you need it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for letting us know how everything is going so far. Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with your experience up to this point. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Apr. 1st, 2021

Lowell Farkas New Haven, CT

Honored contact so far with a range, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, sink disposal, 2 toilets replaced, several faucets, garage opener, thermostat so far😊

Dave London, KY

The most expensive system you will replace is the HVAC. AHS will replace the unit with an exact model but you will be charged for modifications to install it. This cost could be upward of 2000 dollars. Also it takes a long time to get a service call complete.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us. We are working diligently to improve the overall member experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

C Muhammad Lanham, MD

Customer service is excellent. Never had a problem with response time. Companys that they employ to service their clients are professional and reliable.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi C Muhammad, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Elizabeth McCorkle Eugene, OR

1. Misleading: Was told at sign up that I could choose my contractors (not true at all). 2. Poor customer service: Have contacted customer service three times with promise by rep that there would be a call back. Never happened even when one rep gave me a specific time that I would receive a callback. 3. Terrible contracted service providers. Heat company came out and told me that the problem was due to poor maintenance and that AHS would not cover the issue so I would have to pay them myself (not true per AHS contract). They did not fix the problem. I paid an independent service provider to evaluate the issue (rotted heat exchanger). When asked the AHS provider admitted they had never checked the heat exchanger at either of its visits 4. Money waster - I paid $75 for the fraudulent service provider to come out. I paid $125 for an independent assessment. Now AHS is insisting on YET ANOTHER contractor come out to provide an opinion. I have had to take 4 days off of work for these shenanigans. I will have to take another day off for this new contractor (who has not called me to schedule despite being assigned to the project 48 hours ago. Oh, and when you call his number goes straight to voicemail which is full so I can't call then myself). The actual amount of dollars and time I have expended already is ridiculous and the problem is still unfixed. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

John Hutchison Wasilla, AK

While it required several weeks to get the replacement appliance, the representative did an excellent job and in the end we received an equivalent appliance

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi John, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Serita Saint Charles, MO

I had a faucet leak. Plumber said it was because, I did not have a Pressure regulator valve on my pipe. It was not on my pipe when I bought my house. But, my warranty covers this. My warranty did not pay to fix the problem because the pressure regulator was not already installed. I did not agree with this. I paid to fix the problem. Not happy about this.

Mike Houston, TX

Recently filed our first claim for an appliance repair. The website was easy to use to file and begin the process. Repair was quick and no hassle with the vendor.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mike, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with fast and efficient repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Gloria Alridge Laurel, MS

Quick response to claims filed. I had a leaking hot water heater so I filled a claim. My claim was assigned to a local business and my problem was corrected.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for letting us know everything worked out great for you. Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Apr. 5th, 2021

Darla Blystone Cabot, PA

Had to use my home warranty and it was very easy and was exactly what I was hoping it would be. You never know how good something is until you need to use it.

Reply from American Home Shield

Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Take Care.

Mar. 26th, 2021

Kristen Naperville, IL

The warranty is exactly what it says it is. Something breaks, I pay the $100 deductible and it gets fixed with no additional charges by quality contractors

Wayne Florence, MS

As a policy holder, it shouldn't be my responsibility to reached out to the repair company assigned to my case to schedule an appointment. They should call the policy holder to make arrangements.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thanks for your loyalty. Taking care of our members is the main goal here at AHS. We are working diligently to improve the overall member experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Jon Neel West Columbia, TX

During a week of freezing temperatures, it took them several days to decide they couldn't find a contractor to fix my heater. I think they should have let me find a contractor sooner. The freeze was over before my heater was fixed.