Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.5

Isabella Diaz Lathrop, CA

Have used with successfully several times. Definitely worth the money. Don’t like all the contractors but that is another story.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Isabella. Thank you for letting us know about your experience with AHS. It is so great to hear that you have been happy with the service we provide. We hope you continue to find the value in your warranty coverage. We look forward to working with you again soon,

Peggy Lawson Yorba Linda, CA

I've had several appliances repairs through AHS and each tech has been very courteous, professional, knowledgeable and friendly.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Peggy. It is great to hear how well your repair experiences have been. We know how important it is to provide service our members can count on. Thank you for trusting AHS.

kristi I MILLER Aurora, CO

Rich was very prompt, friendly and professional. Enjoyed meeting him and will request if needed in the future.

Reply from American Home Shield

Thank you, Kristi. We appreciate you letting us know about the prompt and friendly service you received. We look forward to working with you again and taking care of your next repair need.

Cynthia Tanner Sacramento, CA

The plumbing problem (loose kitchen Neighbor fixed it in less than 15 minutes. faucet that I called about was not repaired. Told " a piece is missing". Neighbor went to Lowes which is about 1 mile away. Bought a piece for less than )

Elaine Bush Orangeburg, SC

They were quick to assign a service person but have taken too long to resolve my claim. Not pleased with offer on one appliance and still waiting too resolve another appliance. I called in om 6/28/21

Laurie Viglietta Newport News, VA

From logging in to American Home Shield, it was quick and easy to file a claim. And a repair service was assigned, right away.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Laurie. This is so great to hear. We really appreciate you taking time to let us know that your problem was resolved so effectively. We look forward to working with you again and thank you for choosing AHS as your warranty company.

Cheri Drew Seattle, WA

We inherited a 20 year old refrigerator with our home purchase, and used our policy to replace the motor. Then we needed to have our air conditioning serviced.

Travis Withrow Shasta Lake, CA

Up until recently, I was very impressed with AHS. We run an Airbnb business from our home and had both our washing machines and one dryer go out. The dryer got handled right away! But it was taking over a week to get anything done with our washer, causing us to lose a lot of business! We finally had to go buy a new washer ourselves. Then when wanting AHS to reimburse us, I was told three weeks after the incident that replacement would have had to come from a licensed contractor. This and $750 later on a new washer had made me very upset!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Travis, I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution on the washer machine service request.

Aug. 3rd, 2021

Deborah Phoenix, AZ

Customer service was excellent. The representative who helped didn’t end the call until he made sure the issue was taken care of.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Deborah. Thank you so much for letting us know about the excellent service you received. We want you to know you can always count on AHS as your home warranty company.

Chris Snyder Covington, LA

I was charged bogus charges for a repair and when I asked for an itemized copy of what the plumber submitted I was told I would receive an email and then told no an email couldn't be sent and I would receive a letter never received either one so I can only assume it's American Home shield who is taking advantage of their customers by charging them bogus charges

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Chris. I am sorry to hear that you did not receive the information you requested. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this issue.

Jul. 31st, 2021

Lorraine Beaumont, CA

One big issue is, you are never able to speak to someone that knows anything. The few I have spoken to on the phone don't even know what some appliances are and when I ask to speak to a supervisor, they say they will call me back and that never happens.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lorraine. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to have your service needs met when calling. I would be happy to speak with you to address your concerns further.

Mary Ann McCart Goose Creek, SC

Have had this home insurance since we have bought our house and we use it often. However, we just got notified that our monthly payment is going up almost $25 a month. I think that is too much

Hazel Gonzalez Triangle, VA

Well I was very devasted because the MRE paiir they charge me 170.00 dollars.Im really hopi g that I get my money backnting company charge me 170.00 dollars testerday after doing my walls.

Rebecca Wilhelm Saint Augustine, FL

I have had great experiences. Not sure if one of your contractors ripped me off, but I reported it and its in your hands. Would like to know if they did or not?

Harmina Moheb Whittier, CA

It's been 25 days since I called for them to fix my refrigerator and it is still broken. I tried to contact the supervisor through customer service and they never got back to me. Every time I ask a question they never give me a sure answer so they always left me not knowing anything. My family currently still doesn't have a working refrigerator after 25 days because of this company.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Harmina. I am very sorry to hear that the problem with your refrigerator has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with getting this issue resolved.

Charisma Douglass Seneca, SC

Excellent thus far. I have had no problems using AHS. Sometimes the reps are a little difficult to understand, but they get the job done.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Charisma, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain excellent standard of service to our customers.

Rosylin Bessard-Dayton Stockton, CA

Always good w the exception of one V7 time w my Fresno CA home But I have both homes in 2 cities ctime in over 10 years.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Rosylin, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Toby Goldstein Cincinnati, OH

I appreciate the periodic reminders and offers for maintenance on appliances. There is a lot of helpful information on the website, So far very quick response to requests for service and reasonable. Wish there were more options for coverage, that is the only reason it is not a 5

Frances L Britten Kailua, HI

4th call on my refrigerator inside 2 wks, tech had no report or knowledge of previous calls. No way on website to contact AHS for personal service or to make complaint. Six months delay in dishwasher repair with very little follow-up or communication. Sometimes language barrier issues. Difficult to reach a human being. Customer service NEEDS A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT.

Lysbeth M Hasegawa Pence Castro Valley, CA

I am satisfied with services received but I would like to review my contract at renewal time, when I initially purchased it was $30+, now $50. I am a widow on a limited income.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lysbeth. We are really glad to hear that you are satisfied with the service you are receiving. We would be happy to review options with you for your upcoming renewal. Thank you for choosing American Home Shield as your home warranty company.

Jul. 13th, 2021

Constance Gaines Las Vegas, NV

More attention should be paid as to whether requested repairs were done vs someone showing up to tell you they can't perform the task Your deductible is gone and the repair still needs to get done. Also the requested work eligibility should be verified BEFORE sending someone out to tell you that it's not civered. Again deductible is gone. Money wasted, customer frustration and dissatisfaction. This happened to me twice.

Barbara Ludwig Malvern, PA

I do like that they have improved the scheduling an appointment needed. It is still difficult to get vendors to call back in a timely manner for appointments. it takes too long to get a vendor to answer an appointment, especially when it is an applicance as air conditioning or heating. This is needed quickly in many cases and waiting for 3-4 days is not satisfactory.

Maydine Hill Grapeland, TX

The first time I called about a cash option I chose, the representative wasn't helpful. I call back July 7 and had a much better experience. The first person listened and referred me to another department/person, who was helpful in submitting needed info that was required for the cash payment option I choose to be processed. I'm grateful. Thanks

Jonathan Biloxi, MS

AHS could improve by allowing the customers to choose a particular contractor to fix things that are covered. Sometimes the contractor they automatically choose is booked up for several days. When customers are filing for a service it is usually an emergency.

Khea Johnson Frederick, MD

I'm please that my co-pay is less than a visit, but unhappy that I still have to pay out of pocket when I use the service-- for the air-conditioner freon. I'm also unhappy that AHS doesn't offer credits for upgrading things that are broken and can't be fixed... freon leak. Also, very unhappy that United Air lied and said you offer $1K in credit toward an upgrade (but only during "authorization", so Customer Services knows nothing about it. You should stop contracting with United Air because David lies.

Johnny Barron Fairburn, GA

In the past, we never had any problems with things being repaired. But this is the first time that we had to wait too long to get a water heater replaced. We finally will tomorrow after a week delay. Very displeased with the time frame. No hot water for a week.

Jan Seguin, TX

I wish I could request who AHS chooses to provide service when I call. It would be good to have a choice of the company! It makes it better for your customers - especially when we have had the provider before! When we develop a relationship with the provider, we feel more comfortable knowing who will be answering the call for service.

Patty Amato Claremont, CA

That when I need a repair, I know who to call, and that the repair is usually scheduled and completed quickly. I don't have to ask around for a dryer or heater repair person, or wonder if that person is competent and will give me a fair price

Are Brown Fort Worth, TX

They are going out of their way to not honor the contract. I have gone without air conditioning for nearly a month, on the hottest days of the year. My family was sick from the heat. The contactor came out after 3 days the first time. Claimed they could not honor the contract because there was dog urine on the outside compressor; however the outside compressor worked and is still working just fine. It is the fan motor on the unit inside of the house that is bad. First guy came out, changed the capacitor, but did not bother checking the motor. It ran for 3 hours and stopped again. A week later another company came out checked the motor, put in a new fan motor. It worked just fine for 3 days. I smelled wires burning from the unit inside and shut it off. Called AH'S for a 3rd time. This guy said I needed a new inside unit. I then hired my own outside company. They said the malfunction had nothing to do with the compressor outside, but instead the inside fan motor that had been installed was defective. I have tried to contact AH'S about this several times using the same reference number resulting in either hang ups or recording saying the request has been cancelled. I should have done my homework first. Everyone I have shared my story with said that AHS will find any kind of way not to honor the contract by doing a replacement when needed. I am retired and on a fixed income, I purchased AHS as a safety net for repairs. I've only used them twice before in the 4 years that I have been a member. I could have purchased a new unit with the money I have wasted on them. No safety net here, only got caught in The AH'S. Just waiting now for Karma to catch up with them and it will.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hello Are. We do hate to hear about your service experience with your air conditioning. We understand how important it is to have your air working properly. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Jul. 19th, 2021

Albert Jackson Forney, TX

Had technician out Saturday for broke AC. After tech left noticed sink was overflowing and clogged. Techician didn't check sink that AC drains into or they would have said something. This also should have been checked to try ensure won't happen again or fix.

Gretchen Moore Collinsville, IL

Good coverage, as long as the homeowner understands how to fill out the form correctly. I don't like that if a homeowner logs an issue like "plumbing leak" to find out it's a "Plumbing stoppage", and have to pay a 2nd fee. Too much put on the homeowner to know exactly what the root cause problem is.

Richard Stearns Fishers, IN

I like the ease in which claims can be filed and the legwork of finding the companies to do the work is already done for you. That said, AHS should have an option where the home owner can pay more per month to have lower deductibles.

Owner Chula Vista, CA

For so many years the repairman sent didnt speak English well, came in unmarked vehicles,no company logo or uniform. Rarely could fix problem. I stopped calling them and paid out of pocket. I was going to cancel but had plumbing issue...same or similar again. I thought this is, if I get the plumbers as past, I'm canceling. What a wonderful surprises when Roman's plumbing called, set up appt which worked with my schedule. Came on time, company vehicle and uniform. I didnt have to supply rags or anything. He was prepared. Ordered a new disposal, returned to install with schedule which allowed me to miss minimal work. Great job Roman's plumbing so I didnt cancel. Soon after had appliance issue, called and had similar wonderful experience. Perhaps American Home Shield is selecting qualified professionals who are interested in performing. Hope this type service from AHS continues. ontinues

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your American Home Shield experience to have the plumbing issues resolved. I would be glad to speak with you to reach a resolution.

Jul. 14th, 2021

Julie Waltrip Las Vegas, NV

Had a hiccup with our first claim. The plumber called and said that AHS wouldn't pay to fix a leak that was I. The main line. They also said AHS would just keep our money. We hired a plumber ourselves and got it taken care of. Since then we had both a/c units go out. Called AHS and it ran smooth as silk.

MacEnzie Jackson Edmond, OK

Promptness in addressing request. Have had problem with payment. On three separate occasions AHS has indicated payment has not been made when in fact it had. Required follow up with AHC to insure correct payments were recorded.

Fredria C. Lewis-Hawkins Evans, GA

The technicians were professional. We have 2 units. Both were down in the beginning. The upstair unit was fixed quickly. The downstair unit was down for about a week. It is working now, but after about a week in a half, the upstair unit is not cooling. All in all, the work is good for the money. I'll just put in another issue.

Khada Khatiwada Pittsburgh, PA

Good. Customerservice is good . Helped me immediately. Thank yiu. I Still need help . Please call me and help me to fix my ac. I love working with AHS. Definitely recommend my cousins and relatives about AHS

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Khada, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with fast and efficient repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Jul. 16th, 2021

Taquanda Dixon White Plains, MD

Improvement could be with customer service, not getting a new agent every time you call , possibly working with the same agent if a ID number is provided for the same issue. Wait time can be horrible or even finding a vendor to supply your area. Miss communication on canceled authorizations without the customer knowing is never a good thing. They price continues to increase annually without the customer's knowledge. They continue to try to make me pay a service call twice for the same issue days after completion or incompletion of the service.

C High Point, NC

My suggestion is for American Home Shied to listen to what it's customer is saying. In our case on several occasions we have been sent repair men that did horrible work resulting in us having to call back. When a customer KNOWS a company in their city affiliated with AHS we should be able to say who we want to fix our appliance!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi C, I hate to hear about your most recent AHS service experience and the issue to have the repairs completed.

Jul. 17th, 2021

Henry Wilson Campbell Monroe, LA

Generally speaking AHS is a good company but over the last year the quality of the local companies you use has dropped significantly. I doubt I will use the plumbing companies you select as the work is sub par and take too long to respond to the problem. I would strongly suggest you find better companies to perform the work in the Monroe area.

Siraj Haque Lombard, IL

Easy to report a problem online through the website. Lots of options to choose from. Many of my appliances or other things in my home are covered. Repairs are scheduled quickly and easily. Reasonable monthly cost.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Siraj, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Jul. 16th, 2021

Larry Morris Lubbock, TX

Over the past 20+ years we have been extremely happy with AHS. However, our dishwasher was causing problems and one of the companies you contract with came out to work on our dishwasher. Your assigned company decided it was cheaper to replace the item than repair it but AHS said to repair it. Your assigned company came back to the house to start repairs and worked on it for several hours. After "repair" was completed we used the item ONE (1) time and had problems with it so we called AHS and you sent the repair person back out (taking apart the door to the item the place you put the cleaning detergent door would not close and lock). The repair person took the door apart several times but NEVER could get the door to lock. I called AHS to talk about this problem and the gentleman I spoke to said that we could asked for a buy out. Two days later I received a letter from "frontdoor" telling us our claim was denied. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING US!!!

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Larry. I do hate to hear about the issues you have had with your dishwasher repair. I would be happy to speak with you and see how I may assist with resolving this matter.

Jul. 12th, 2021

Charles Mark Mitchell Osage Beach, MO

I have had Am Home Shield for more than 25-30 years in various states and cities where I have lived. With one exception, which was recently, I have had a good experiences over all. I have had few maintenance issues but when needed American has has handled the matter satisfactorily.

Anonymous Montgomery, AL

When technicians are scheduled to come out home shield does not follow up to see if the visit has been completed. Instead you have to call to ask questions when you have not heard from the technician in a timely manner. Customers spends resources with American homeshield & not the technicians. Also when the job is complete a lot of times no work has actually been done but instead you are receiving advice if no work is done the customer should be refunded

Marta Jaramillo Costa Mesa, CA

It's difficult to get in touch with a person. I was charged 2 times for the same service. I had my washer serviced and when the tech left the UE is still lighting up. Did an online chat and was assured a ticket would open ... nothing happened I had to open one up again for the same service and was charged another $100 ! When the tech came he said there was nothing he could do except fix the work the previous guy did. Also, now I'm waiting for the computer board to be replaced in hopes the UE sensor doesn't stop the washer. The balancers were replaced and a water pump

Ali Deerfield, IL

AHS is great in non-emergency situations. But when emergencies happen, especially on weekends, it's a cumbersome process to get the emergency situations resolved immediately. If you have an emergency, you are sometimes on your own.

Carlos Castro Pflugerville, TX

Up until this month (june) i would have given AHS 5 stars. I renewed my yearly contract on june 1st & the AHS rep said he would automatically deduct my monthly premium every month. He did not do that & AHS took out the entire yearly amount on june 21st. This has put me in a VERY difficult financial situation. I called AHS on june 21st & the rep processed a SmartForm to reimburse me the money. She told me this could take up to 7 day. Well the 7th day was this past monday (june 28th) & AHS has not put my reimbursement money into my bank account. I am very upset about this whole situation. I have called everyday since monday june 28th & all the AHS reps say that the reimbursement process has gone ok on their end. I don't believe this, something is wrong because as of today (june 30th) i still don't have my money in my bank account. I've tried to talk to a supervisor of the AHS rep but the rep says i can't talk to them which is ridiculous & really pissed me off. I just don't know what else to say about this situation except it sucks. I thought i had my yearly contract renewal updated when i called on june 1st to only have my monthly premium automatically deducted from my bank account on the 18th of each month. The AHS rep who i contacted (his name was tim) obviously didn't know what the hell he was doing as again, my whole yearly premium was deducted from my bank account. I am in dire financial stress at this time due to your GROSS oversite.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Carlos. Thank you for letting us know about the billing issue you experienced. We are very sorry to hear that this has happened. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with resolving this matter.

Jul. 12th, 2021

Qrashemia Johnson Dayton, OH

When they realized they couldn't fix my appliance they got back with me immediately with my options .. once I made a decision and bought a new appliance they reimbursed me immediately

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Qrashemia, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the appliance repairs. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Jul. 9th, 2021

Nidhish Mohun San Jose, CA

They started off at 5 Star in identifying problem and placing replacement. Then they cancelled the replacement order for some silly reason. Then was surprised with excellent service of fixing the problem by one "Joel". Final delivery was good but for a dent on the back side of the fridge. We accepted since it was not visible on placement.

Diana Leoncio Bellflower, CA

Customer service was very courteous and helpful. The technician arrived within the designated time frame. He was very knowledgeable and was able to fix my plumbing issues in no time.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Diana, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the plumbing issue. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Jul. 9th, 2021