Best Company badge 10,000 Reviews American Home Shield Logo

American Home Shield

8.8

Laura Lawhon Butler Conroe, TX

I began my experiences with AHS in Southern California in the 1970's and they were phenomenal through the decades I had them. When we bought this house in Texas the AHS program was part of the sale. I was less than impressed and I switched to two different companies. When AHS contacted me to return to them this past winter I was hesitant. Since the other two companies were not what I'd hoped they'd be, I decided to give AHS one last go. This time, months later, we had a major plumbing problem and AHS sent several companies out to check it. I wasn't trusting them and asked to have my own plumber who instantly knew exactly what we needed. AHS did pay their portion of the negotiated repairs. Not the entire amount but enough for me to be satisfied. For now, so long as they remain as responsive as they've been this year, I will happily stay with them. It is reassuring to know that they actually will cover major repairs. Their prices are competitive as well. One company I was with made us pay out of pocket for a relatively late model water heater, then submit the invoice to them. Their rate of reimbursement was a huge disappointment. It is too bad that AHS now has their customer service department outsourced in a faraway foreign country and it does take some extra time getting them to realize what the issues are if the repair is a complicated one. For the normal everyday repairs this works out just fine. We actually did get to speak with a local representative when we decided to stay with them. It is nice to know that they do exist...you just have to be persistent to get to them if your situations warrants it.

Kim A Skiatook, OK

We have had AHS just over 2 years. They have been extremely diligent in resolving our warranty needs which have been more frequent than we certainly anticipated. The last AHS agent to help me get an appointment with a vendor was named Anthony and he was extraordinary in resolving a booking issue over a dryer repair. He is working out of a call center and he made sure that we set agreed times for him to call me back to verify things were handled when there was some unforeseen glitches in their system. And the vendors they use have been extremely prompt & professional. We usually have the repairs done within 5 days.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Kim. Thank you for such a positive review. We strive to provide prompt and dependable service for our members, and it makes us very happy to hear that we have been able to do that for you. Thank you for trusting AHS.

Sep. 29th, 2021

Jackson Kennesaw, GA

I was skeptical at first not really knowing what to expect. I thought when it was time to ask for a service to be done, that it would be a long drawn out process, a hassle or I would get the run around. To my surprise when I put in a order for a service to be done. It was very smooth and easy. You just check the box letting them know which item, and the problem, then they send you the information of the person that will be contacting you to provide the service. The company that came out to provide the service, was very professional, fixed the problem and left. My only regret is the fact that it took me so long to purchase a home warranty. The best feeling you can give yourself is a peace of mind and I definitely received it with American Home Shield.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Jackson. We really appreciate your feedback. We are here to take the hassle and worry out of unexpected home repair needs. We are so happy you chose AHS to give you a peace of mind as your home warranty company.

Sep. 9th, 2021

Timothy Joseph Clemo Fayetteville, NC

It was their professionalism in dealing with my matter. They replaced my 20 yr old range with a new one at no cost to me!

Arnold jimenez Sun City, CA

Great service. Every time I call American Shield your technicians are here right away ain't you a beautiful job I recommend them highly

Bridgette Martinez Houston, TX

they pick companies that are 2 & 3 stars to do the work. seems they never cover much of anything but you pay them every year. had my hot water heater serviced cuz the pilot light kept going out so the company they sent replaced the ignitor to only leave us in our home smelling gas and almost blowing up so I had to call a good plumbing company out they said the hot water heater was fixing to blow up and we would of had a big mess

Robin Felton, CA

The electrician called/came w/in a couple of days, and did great. However, the plumber, even after two calls by me, never called back. Finally, our Realtor stepped in and the guy came the next day . . . and did a fine job.

Lillian Butts Conroe, TX

Always good customer service and great service from repair companies. Not sure about how my bill keeps going up without me being informed or calling me for renewal.

Madeline Sottosanti Naples, FL

Fixed my problem with my refrigerator would have liked it done sooner but realized they had to order parts it took about 2 weeks to repair.

F. Reynolds Aledo, TX

Usually good service. Very nice on phone,etc. Repairs usually take 3 days to see a repair person. Final fix of dishwasher took about 10 days...wait for parts.

Maria Saliba Houston, TX

Because they are denying a claim based on false findings by the technicians. I provided proof that my system was not damaged due to a freeze that occurred 9 months ago and the contractors are claiming the damage occurred due to the freeze because they will not make as much money repairing the manifold under the warranty as they would repairing it outside the AHS warranty. No one has provided proof that my manifold was damaged during the freeze and I have provided ample evidence to the contrary.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Maria, I hate to hear about the delay in service that was experienced to have the pool issue repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to assist.

Nov. 26th, 2021

Scott Branam Cottonwood, CA

I have had a few problems in the house when you call they set up an appointment immediately and I haven't had any problems yet

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Scott, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

leslie C fortenberry Owens Cross Roads, AL

They quickly got my system fixed, and the work to replace and order the parts took no time at all. would recommend this company to anyone.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Leslie, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Rosa muro Windsor, CA

They are quick to send out professionals to fix what ever problem you may have, and quick to resolve the problem by either fixing or replacing item.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Rosa, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Shelly El Dorado Springs, MO

Not good customer service, took over 2 weeks to get a service tech to come look at my heater to see why it stopped working. All they would say is they don't have a technician in my area.

Gary Schlager North Las Vegas, NV

The outsourced customer service in whatever country it's in is the worst I have ever experienced. Having someone in the Philippines read off a flow chart isn't customer service. I had a company screw me over your company sent and spent a week trying to get it handled and gave up. Was supposed to get a credit for the service call and never did. I wouldn't recommend AMS to anyone who has a problem and needs customer service. It's the worst I've ever experienced.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Gary, I hate to hear about the delay in service that was experienced to have the service issue repaired. I would be glad to speak with you to assist.

Nov. 26th, 2021

Shane Bryan, TX

Very helpful and very quick. Their online access forms are very user friendly and helpful as well. Makes set up service request quick and easy.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Shane, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Courtney Davis Clearlake Oaks, CA

Although the first contractor didn't correct the problem, a second contractor Carracker Plumbing came out quickly and corrected the issue.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Courtney, Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Stephany L ODonnell Plainfield, IL

Representative very rude when answering questions, especailly when they have a complaint about something. Does everything possible to not have the call escalated by insisting Escalation Rep will only tell me what they already have and that it will basically be waste of time to talk to them. Representative will state they will call me back, then they do not call me.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Stephany. Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience. I do hate to hear that you were not satisfied with the service you received from our customer service agents. I would be happy to speak with you to address any unresolved issue.

Dr Haason Apple Valley, CA

I have been waiting over two weeks to receive a diagnosis and a repair on my hot water heater. I have not had hot water and I am very disappointed in this company. They referred someone who came out and stayed at the job was completed and I have come to find out this company is not BBB accredited and has many complaints. I am in awe that American home shield would do business with someone like this.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dr Haason. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We understand how important it is to have your service repairs completed in a timely manner and do apologize for any delays regarding your water heater. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with any unresolved issue.

doug logan Huntley, IL

Prompt phone contact, helpful, knowledgeable customer service, fast response to service need, excellect companies/techs that are sent to repair

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Doug, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Debbie Simpson Marion, AR

because this time it didn't take for them to get a tech out and the person that came fixed it in less than an hour and I did not have to be late getting back to work.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Debbie, thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback. We are so delighted that you rate our service as 5 star as we strive to provide just that for all our customers. We Look forward to servicing you again soon. Best Wishes.

Nov. 18th, 2021

George A Livesey Reno, NV

American Home Shield is very good with their coverage and very good for their customers. They have good communication with customers as well as friendly employees.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi George. Thank you for letting us know you are pleased with the service and coverage we offer. We look forward to providing you with great service again.

Michael A Brickley Parkville, MD

Don't have an often enough need for the service. Too often, the issues that I have with my home, AHS doesn't seem to cover it. I've been in my home 11 years and have used my AHS less than 20 times. Most of those times, the cost of what I needed done would have been covered by the $75 service fee alone.

William Swiger Cocoa, FL

AHS did what they said they would do. One month in my dishwasher took a Dump. Technician was scheduled by AHS to evaluate and unit was replaced at no extra charge.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi William. It is so wonderful to hear that your repair need was taken care of with ease. We can't wait to provide you with excellent service for your next repair as well.

Lisa Suarez Columbia Station, OH

My water heater needs to be replaced. We've been waiting 3 weeks for the part to be delivered. Every time I have called American home shield to check on the repair I have been given by a different reason/excuse First I called and was told the service provider could change the type of water heater I could get. Then another person contacted the purchasing department for me and gave me a ship date. Another person told me they were not authorized to contact the supplier and had no information. It has been a very frustrating experience

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Lisa. Thank you for taking time to let us know that the issue with your water heater still has not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to assist with a resolution to this matter.

Nov. 22nd, 2021

Camille Tacoma, WA

Very informative and efficient. The technician was very knowledgeable and understanding. He was respectful of my property and used proper safety precautions for Covid-19.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Camille. It is really wonderful to hear about your experience. It s our goal to provide our members with professional and efficient service. We are so happy to have done this for you. Thank you for trusting AHS.

Dequita Lewis Clarksville, TN

Because their company doesn't have very good communication and they only want to pay for certain issues. But continue to take our money with our warranty. Some of the companies they use are very unprofessional and rude. The company isn't really what we thought it would be

Aris Hill Huntsville, AL

Because the companies that they send to do the jobs are unreliable and unprofessional. They take a long time to schedule job and if you have to call them to come back like I did , they don't answer phone, and they don't call you back even though the company has reassigned them to the job and you are just supposed to wait and be without your appliance working until they see fit to come back.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Aris. Thank you for taking time to tell us about your service experience. I am sorry to hear that the company has not contacted you to return and take care of the problem. I would be happy to speak with you to address this matter further.

NC Jacksonville, FL

Have called several times in the last two weeks to get a billing issue resolved. No one has returned any of my calls though they insist that they'll call me back with the resolution. Spoke with an agent yesterday who explained He'll submit an investigation to the billing department to resolve this issue. Why have five customer service representative before him not offered to this do this

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi NC. Thank you for bringing your billing issue to our attention. I would be happy to speak with you and assist with a resolution.

Rebecca Bronheim Washington, DC

My first experience with them was terrible. The vendor they recommended didn't show up for over a month. They would schedule and cancel. Since then, it has been better. Although I asked them to get a plumber's report and they never did so I had to hire a plumber outside the service.

Ennis Johnson Cleveland, OH

I have been left on my own for the installation of a dishwasher it's nice but not nearly as good as the one that was replaced, and I still have not completed the installation. I didn't believe that would happen. I give three stars,because I can't see giving money for less.

Edgardo Arevalo Cerritos, CA

Very prompt on schedule. Explained everything in detail on what have to be done and what aren't the expectations will be. Will let me know shortly.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Egardo, Thank you for providing us with feedback about your AHS experience. We strive to provide you with prompt and professional service. We hope you continue to enjoy the coverage we provide!

Mercedes Mitchell Villa Rica, GA

I'm very happy to know that American Home Shield is a company that is honest and has your their service is alway available and sends quality technicians to work on repairs

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Mercedes. Thank you for time in letting us know how we are doing. We always do our best to provide prompt and efficient service for our members. It is so wonderful that we have had to opportunity to do that for you. Thank you for trusting AHS.

Dorothy Willis Atlanta, GA

A technician was scheduled for service and cancelled within a few hours because they didn't service my area. American Home Shield did not call me to inform me of what happened so I was sitting at home waiting for the tech to show up on the appointed day. I called many times but it wasn't until I called a third time that I was informed of the situation and was offered a new date.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Dorothy. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I am very sorry to hear your appointment was canceled and you were not notified. I would be happy to speak with you to further address this issue.

Eric Braden Lancaster, TX

I had a service call for my range oven. I informed the rep that my breaker was shutting off. AHS sent out a tech, the tech said I needed an electrician. Sunrize Electric came out and said I needed a new breaker and he would have to order one. He said he would contact me back, however he never did. I tried to contact Sunrize Electric for over a week with no response. Finally I called another Electrician and the breaker was repaired the same day. I then called AHS and spoke with a rep Jen#124918 who told ne I could not get a refund for the $100 service call. I asked to speak with a supervisor or manager and Jen said no supervisor or manager was available. I went without my range oven for over two weeks.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Eric. Thank you for bring this matter to our attention. I am sorry to hear the electrical company did not call you back to complete the job. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding this issue.

Michael Adams Columbia, MD

They do not check out the reputation and reviews on the service companies that they arbitarily hire to do the service. They are terrible, inept and have terrible reviews on-line. I have had to pay for 3 different service calls for my fridge and it has been 4 weeks with out my fridge being repaired. My washer and dryer same thing with two repair calls for same issue over the past 2 months. As I type, I have no working washing machiene and no fridge/freezer. Terrible service and companies that they hire. Then AHS has a lenghty wait time to review your case , asking for a different service company. Like it is a scam.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Michael. Thank you for taking time to tell us about your service experiences with your appliances. I am sorry to hear that you are without your washer and refrigerator. I would be happy to speak with you to further address these issues.

Nov. 19th, 2021

Jessica Hunter Cabot, AR

Because they resolved my AC issue quickly but I have called 3-4 times about my range issue. Everytime I'm told I will be called in 24-48 hours and no one calls then I have to call. The last time they said my issue was being escalated to some upper level because the contractor hasn't issued a report and I want a second opinion. This was supposed to take 48 hours it's been over a week!

S G Medler Saint Louis, MO

They are professional. Easy to deal with. They repair-don't throw out stuff. Most of the people they send are excellent. One wasn't good. It's a fair deal to both them and the customer.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi SG, Thank you for taking the time to provide a rating, your opinion is valued greatly and it helps us maintain an excellent standard of service to our customers.

Heather Adams Sarasota, FL

They're always very responsive, and the technicians are scheduled quickly. My most recent experience, however, had everyone making incorrect assumptions about who I needed to communicate with and what I needed to do which left me having to push to get results and without hot water for 2 weeks

Kathryn Gillette Appleton, WI

good coverage satisfied with contractors sent to service call. Web site is difficult to navigate to send a service request In the recent past some of the AHS agents have been abrupt on the phone months later my contractor who did the service didn't get a response from AHS. navigates also taking a video of the damaged part is

Linda Carver Spokane, WA

Because of Backups it did take a couple of weeks to get our washer back up and running, but once the parts were here, the repair person got right on it and fixed the washer in a timely manner.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Linda. Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your patience while we resolved the issue with your washer. We look forward to providing your with an even better experience in the future. Thank you for trusting AHS.

Tara Knoxville, TN

They make it so easy to request service- just log on anytime and they assign someone quickly. I've never had to wait long for someone to come out, and the issue is always fixed.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Tara. We appreciate your time in reviewing your experience with AHS. We want our members to know they can trust in the service we provide. We are very happy that you are finding the value in being an American Home Shield member.

Patricia Organ-Hurd Cleveland, OH

Our tech was respectable, nice, knowledgeable and give tips. However, there was a part that he said he was going to put in to have replaced and AHS never contacted us to say if it was approved or not. So, I don't know if he put it in or not, but, we pay too much money to this warranty company not to have our issues addressed.

LaShaunta Pugh Portsmouth, VA

With American Home Shield, we feel that there at times is no sense of urgency. Last year our furnace went out in the middle of winter. Our concern more than anything was our daughter who was 7 years old at the time. We called to request someone to come out to take a look at it. My husband called the first time and he spoke to someone who barely spoke English and he said he could hear chickens in the background. I called and was given an appointment a week to 2 weeks out. I called back several times begging for someone to come out sooner because it was literally freezing cold in the house. We had space heaters set up in every room. Our daughter slept in the bed with me while my husband slept in a spare bedroom with a space heater in each just so we could be warm. We ate in the bedrooms and could barely step out into the hallway without being fully dressed in a hoodie, sweatpants and a coat. No matter how many times we called to complain we were told everytime nothing could be scheduled sooner because that was the contractor's first available. I asked to have another contractor found and was told that was the first listing to pop up and that there was no way to search for another. It was a completely HORRIBLE situation! Because of this my husband and I discussed leaving this company and finding another. This will probably be our last year as customers of American Home Shield.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi LaShaunta. Thank you for bring your concerns to our attention. I am sorry to hear that your issue with the furnace was not taken care of sooner. I would be happy to speak with you to address this issue further.

Nov. 10th, 2021

Thomas Melville San Diego, CA

HomeShield is an easy to use and readily available service. They frequently offer seasonal incentives to assist with maintenance, and getting a service scheduled is extremely easy.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Thomas. Thank you so much for letting us know how easy it has been to request service. We love to take the hassle and worry out of home repairs. Thank you for choosing AHS to do so for you.

Nov. 8th, 2021

BRIAN CULLEN King, NC

Easy to request service, technicians are assigned almost immediately and they use good, quality service people. My experience has been that they will cover most small repairs, which usually wouldn't cost much more than the co-pay. The negative is that even though they say pre existing conditions are covered, this is definitely NOT the case. They will find a way not to cover any big item, and they have perfected double talk. But you can establish good relationships with the technicians for when you decide it's not worth staying with American Home Shield anymore.

Ali Riche Sugar Land, TX

AC problems- 1st technician reported evaporator is leaking and condenser is leaking, however his report did not mention condenser. 2nd opinion technician stated condenser is leaking and evaporator has blockage and need to be changed, however his company report didn't mention the evaporator- AHS is sticking to 2nd opinion report and refuse to have 3 way conference with technician, it is clear the contractor wants to make more money by doing 2 repairs and discharging R22 to environment by doing the work twice and causing customer to pay more money and putting AHS in position as not a responsible care company who cares for environment. another work order to repair washing machine is still open for 6 weeks, repair contractor made 3 visits and each time he claims more parts are needed, been washing our cloths outside the house for the last 5 weeks which is very disruptive specially with current covid 19 pandemic and the risk of contamination.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Ali. Thank you for your feedback regarding your service experiences with the ac and clothes washer. I am sorry to hear the problems have not been resolved. I would be happy to speak with you to address these issues further.

Nov. 10th, 2021

Frederick F Schulz Bristow, VA

Responsive, fast service. All repair service companies that they have assigned to make the repair have been professional, timely with appointments and have repaired all my home appliances in short-order.

Reply from American Home Shield

Hi Frederick, We love to hear when we have provided fast and professional service to our customers. Please continue to share your experiences with us and we will continue to strive to meet your needs.

Sean Green Bay, WI

The only reason AHS lost a star was because I had specifically stated that a contractor acted unprofessional and never wanted to work with them again - the following time I called for service an appointment was set with that contractor. This situation has since been rectified and I feel their services are a good value for the money.