SimpliSafe is a do-it-yourself security provider that offers basic security features, including burglary alarms, fire detectors, carbon monoxide sensors, freeze sensors, and flood sensors. SimpliSafe equipment can be ordered online and is customer-owned after purchase, with packages ranging from $229 to $489. SimpliSafe offers one of the lowest monthly monitoring fees in the industry, with monthly fees starting at $14.99 per month. The company uses cellular signal monitoring through COPS Monitoring Service, a CSAA-certified central monitoring station. SimpliSafe is one of the only home security providers that does not attach a contract to any of its equipment.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Frontpoint chevron_right

The Good

• Low Monthly Fees
  • Industry Innovations
  • No Contract or Moving Fees
  • 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • "Brain" and Keypad are Separate Devices
  • 100% Wireless Equipment
  • Free and Easy Installation Process
  • Purchase Online

Low Monthly Fees

SimpliSafe's low monthly fees and absence of a contract are clear standouts in the security industry. The company's highest monitoring package ("Interactive") only comes in at $24.99, far below most professional security providers' most affordable option. The most typical monitoring package is priced at $14.99 per month.

Industry Innovations

Recently, more home security companies are hopping on the wagon of do-it-yourself systems, but SimpliSafe has been doing it for years. Recently, SimpliSafe has also redesigned its system to look more sleek and attractive. Sensors including motion detectors, window sensors, door sensors, security cameras, and even the wireless keypad control panel have gotten a makeover. You can also arm and disarm your alarm system through the SimpliSafe app on your mobile phone, along with view Simplisafe camera footage.

No Contract or Moving Fees

Something truly remarkable about SimpliSafe's price structure is that it does not attach contracts to its equipment; all customers pay on a month-to-month basis and can cancel at any time without penalty. Basically, no long-term contracts, unlike most home security companies. Moving your alarm system is simple and easy.

60-Day Money-Back Guarantee

In addition, SimpliSafe customers have 60 days to try out equipment and if unsatisfied, can return it to SimpliSafe for a full refund plus return shipping costs. As 30 days is considered a great guarantee in this industry, a 60-day guarantee truly stands out.

"Brain" and Keypad are Separate Devices

For an added layer of safety, the "brain" of SimpliSafe's system is located in a device separate from the keypad. If burglars destroy the beeping keypad, the brain will quietly alert the monitoring center.

100% Wireless Equipment

Because the SimpliSafe system is 100 percent wireless, no hard wiring or drilling is required. This is an appealing feature for renters and apartment owners, and also contributes to the aforementioned lack of moving fees. Equipment is as follows:

• Wireless keypad
  • Window sensors
  • Panic button
  • Freeze sensors

Free and Easy Installation Process

The free and easy installation process can also be completed without assistance and, in most cases, takes less than 15 minutes. Once the system and sensors are in a place, an alarm will sound whenever the control panel is armed and sensors detect burglars breaking in.

Purchase Online

SimpliSafe's equipment and monitoring services can be purchased on its website, eliminating the need to interact with often-pushy security salesmen.

The Bad

• Upfront Equipment Costs
  • Basic Security Equipment
  • Three-Year Warranty

Upfront Equipment Costs

As with most do-it-yourself solutions, SimpliSafe requires consumers to buy equipment upfront. This can cost anywhere from $229 to $489. Fortunately, SimpliSafe offers five package options to fit a variety of budgets and needs. Also important to note: you own this equipment forever after purchasing. Regardless, this price amounts to years of monitoring service from other top-rated alarm companies.

Basic Security Equipment

SimpliSafe equipment is extremely basic in both looks and functionality. The company doesn't offer touchscreen equipment or basic home automation services such as remote door locks, smart lighting/appliances, smart temperature control, and so on. However, video surveillance is available but requires a WiFi connection. Despite SimpliSafe's sleek new design and mobile app interface, the company needs to catch up to home automation trends, not just freeze sensors and motion detectors.

Three-Year Warranty

With SimpliSafe, you're getting basic, no-bells-and-whistles security equipment. And it's all covered with a three-year warranty, as opposed to the lifetime warranty many other providers offer. Most security systems from other companies will offer a lifetime warranty, so it's unfortunate to see SimpliSafe limiting their security systems to only three years.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

If you're looking for a basic do-it-yourself security option for a reasonable price, SimpliSafe is a viable option. And if you're a renter who doesn't want to hardwire a security system or pay a fee each time you move, SimpliSafe is a solid solution. But if you're looking for cutting-edge technology and want to turn your house into a "smart home," SimpliSafe is not the answer. There are plenty of other alarm companies who offer those services but expect them with higher prices and strict long-term contracts. Read Simplisafe reviews below before making your final decision.

View Best Home Security Companies

3.7

Richard
August 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I totally disagree with their rating. I've been a customer for over two years with two homes and the system is affordable and it is cost effective professional monitoring. A three year warranty for the components is more than sufficient. If the component turned out to be defective outside of the warranty it's cheap to replace. Why are they making a judgment for not having a touch screen? If you want a good, basic cost effective home alarm monitoring system then Simplisafe is for you. Simple and Safe!

Sheldon Michel
August 25th, 2017 Boynton Beach, FL

Wish the keypad was lit.Hard to read in a medium lit room. Otherwise fantastic system.

James Stone
August 23rd, 2017

Service is excellent. Extremely easy to set up. Very easy and convenient to operate. Numerous packages, add ons, and two types monitoring fees which make it extremely affordable. Best move we made. They are also tied into local rules for registering home alarm systems if applicable. Smooth process start to finish.

Ronald Hardgrave
August 22nd, 2017 Boise, ID

We completely disagree with the low score from "Best Company." We highly recommend SimpliSafe . Easy to install, low monthly monitoring rates and quick response. Customer service is top notch! When we moved to a new larger home, getting more sensors mailed to us was a snap!!

Felix
August 22nd, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

Excellent. Customer service is excellent. Easy to setup. Quick responses. Monitoring is not expensive. No contract.

Nats fan!
August 21st, 2017

Outstanding equipment, very professional customer service, and installation was a snap. Simple and easy to do. Price was reasonable, considering I own the equipment, and monitoring is the least expensive around with no contract. Should be rated one of the highest and most efficient systems around.

Bud
August 18th, 2017

Great great security system!!! When I had a problem not to offen they CAME through ??Love love love it can sleep at nite knowing it's all good . Simplisafe is on guard!! 24/7 ?

Ken Roberts
August 17th, 2017 Rock Hill, SC

Simple install for someone who is not IT type. Quick response to alarms and no hassle replacing bad parts. System tell you if you have a bad sensor when trying to set alarm.

Jan Porterfield
August 14th, 2017 Milton, FL

We installed Simplisafe several months ago anticipating an extended trip we were taking this summer. It has been great, and we have had numerous security systems in the 24 home we have owned. It was super simple to install, and we had great help from their customer service to do the install....operation is easy...push a button and the system tells you your status and if any of the system is down. When we went on our trip we knew we were covered and that we would be notified if there was a problem. The only problem we have had is the little key fob my husband carries with his keys in his pocket....twice the keys and the fob align right and the alarm button gets pushed by the keys...the first time we caught it in time to disarm, the second time we didn't and we had a knock at the door by 2 policemen, after explaining what happened it was fine and my husband is no longer allowed to carry the fob on his key ring. All in all, that was a very convencing test of the system and we are feeling even safer in our home now.

Marshall A Boucher
August 14th, 2017 Dover, FL

excellent overall. I recommend. Motion sensors required contact cement to properly adhere to walls.

Steve Fox
August 14th, 2017 Vale, NC

Very quick to help change a faulty motion sensor for free over a year later and also found a closer cell tower to my location and sent a free exchange cell card for my base station for better connection. I have had other systems and will always use Simplisafe from now on.

RICK
August 9th, 2017 Fort Worth, TX

SIMPLI SAFE IS THE WAY TO GO FOR AN EFFECTIVE AND INEXPENSIVE WAY TO GUARD YOUR HOUSE. WHETHER YOU USE THE COMPLETE SET UP OF USE SOME ON THE ENTRY AND EXIT DOORS WITH A FEW MOTION DETECTORS YOU CAN HAVE COMPLETE ASSURANCE THAT SOME ATTENTION WILL BE DRAWN TO THE ALARM. I GET A SENSE OF RELIEF WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR AND THE FAMILIAR "COUNTDOWN" TO THE ALARM BEGINS, READY FOR YOU TO USE YOUR CODE TO SHUT IT OF BEFORE IT TOTALLY ACTIVATES THE SIREN.

William L Scott
August 8th, 2017 Chatsworth, GA

Had the system only a short time but well-designed and very easy to install. I recommend it.

Karen Griffith
August 8th, 2017 VA

We have had this system for several years and are completely satisfied. We have only had one false alarm, from one motion sensor, cause unknown. The system is easy to install, the service from the alarm company is excellent. We have accidentally set off the alarm twice and the alarm company's response was immediate.

Sharon Fulmer
August 7th, 2017 Port Angeles, WA

I've had this service for 6 months and I LOVE it! I tell all our Family and Friends. I pay $ 24.95 per mo. but, I have Cameras and I can go on my phone and look inside my house at anytime. I can also turn my alarm off and on from my phone which is a great feature if you forget to set your alarm.

Gerald Gerard
August 4th, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

We have had our system for over 2 years and love it. Since we own it, we have complete flexibility in the configuration ... need another sensor? just order it. Want another smoke detector, just order it. Online status and configuration is awesome. Keep track of sensors, their battery status, etc. We're moving soon and can remove and reinstall the system in just a few hours. User comments about key fobs are valid. We usually don't use ours ... key pad works just fine.

Richard
August 4th, 2017 Prairieville, LA

Simple and easy to install. I had the system for over a year and recently added a water sensor to my A/C pan and added two of the HD cameras. Very high quality video, but they don't sell an outside camera yet. I added a Ring floodlight cam and now I'm a happy camper. No false alarms to date . Very satisfied with my system.

Lin Cole
July 31st, 2017

Have had my Simplisafe alarm for about a year. System was easy to buy, simple to set up and for a relatively low price protects my home. I rate the system about a 9.5 to 10.0. The only problem I have is getting the system alarm set. Often takes several times punching in numbers to set it. This system is well worth investing in for personal and asset safety

Tom Walsh
July 27th, 2017 Meredith, NH

Simple and easy to install. Received a water alarm the 2nd day we had the system activated and discovered that our water heater had sprung a small leak! Saved the day - suggest adding moisture/water sensor to your order!

Thomas White
July 24th, 2017

SimpliSafe is a great system. no contract low cost no hassle

Gary E Ruppert
July 24th, 2017

Easy to install. Low monthly fees. Get an extra touch panel because the key fobs don't show you if the alarm system is set. We keep one in the console of the vehicle. Sometimes the key fob did not set or turn off the alarm. With the extra panel you KNOW!

Callooh Media Company
July 17th, 2017

Simply Amazing, easy to use, great apps and it works just as good or better than the big guys systems! I can't say enough to I have it at home and office and love it!

Michael Scott
July 10th, 2017

We have a full SS system and it works great! There IS a camera and there ARE features that let you program things that may not not be immediately apparent. Works EXACTLY as advertised and it works great!

Victoria
July 5th, 2017 Odessa, MO

We purchased for our home in Fl. We live most of year in Mo. Love cost, install, we were broken into, they contacted us fast but took the police an hour to show up. It did what it was to do. It got them out!!! I recently see they now have an interior camera which I will be adding. I would love to see outside wireless camera. My only complaint is our home is outside city, wifi service is not as good as city. Our system only works near the front door. I have my keypad right on the half wall at the front door, with everythg else. Which it would be easy for theif to take the system with them, fortunaetly they took the tv, never explored the rest of the house. I want an outside camera, may have to add from another company.

Dr. & Mrs. D. Troy Pruitt
June 30th, 2017 Lincoln, IL

Quick delivery and easy install. Shadows through windows set of motion detectors but adjusted units and operates great!! 2 false alarms, but service was quick to contact us. Recommended to family and friends as a great value and effective coverage. Cats do not set off alarm.

Douglas Long
June 23rd, 2017 Naugatuck, CT

Wonderful product, works as advertised. I have had this system in service for almost 1 year with absolutely no problems.

Robert Moredock
June 12th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV

The product is 100% wireless; a big plus. Customer service is beyond awesome. Have had a remote keyfob become intermitttent when it was 2 years old. It was replaced free--instantly & with no questions. Base communicates with alarm svc by means of cell phone svc. Local cell provider took down a nearby cell and the system was losing cell signal and the base notified us of that. Siomply safe sent me a new module to switch to Verizon cell service, which solved the problem 100%. When alarm is triggered, I get phone call response in 8-10 seconds and email and sms alerts in about 15 to 18 seconds, sometimes sooner.

Joseph Zavalia
June 5th, 2017 Rockland, MA

Extremely easy to install, .easy to use The sensors allow small pets to roam freely without setting the alarm off. Customer service is top notch.

Dave Carpenter
June 1st, 2017 Germantown, MD

We have had this system for a couple of years now. It works perfectly for our needs. Like that we can put it on HOME when we leave and leave the dogs there and the doors and windows are protected against entry, but the dogs can move around inside without setting off the alarm. It has always come through. Very quick response. We did add cameras from another source to supplement. The only problem we have had was my husband had the key fob in his pocket. He turned it on without being aware of it. We were out and driving, so he did not answer the call figuring we would see who called once we were parked. So...the company called our house. We had a dog sitter who did not answer our phone. Alarm continued to howl, police came..scared our poor sitter to dealth. All was ok..but we do not carry the fob with us anymore!

Richard Wachowicz
June 1st, 2017

The Simply Safe system gives so you many options from a very simple system, to a highly optioned system to meet your specifications. Their support team will help you through answering all of your questions. The cost of 24 hour monitoring s half the price of the other companies. You are able to completely configure response times, and add or delete components of your system very easily. I highly recommend their home security product.

Allen
May 12th, 2017 Huntsville, AL

We have been very happy with the system. It was easy to install and works great. The only reason that I gave a 9 instead of a 10 is that I wish the camera had a battery option (but I suspect battery life would be an issue). There are some additional perks with the more expensive (but still cheaper than ADT) monitoring option, but the basic $14.95 works great for us.

Morris Hanley
May 8th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO

Had ADT for five years was the worst thing I ever did went to these guys and it is like night and day they are spot on, good equipment and great monitoring, every time I test my equipment I get a call in less than 30 seconds it took ADT three minutes one time to call. Best thing I ever did getting rid of ADT and going with these guys.

Lavonna kennedy
May 5th, 2017 Sacramento, CA

The best company after being with adt this is by far a better co. They call before the police arrive so you don't get charged by the police for false alarm. Adt does not do this .

mait stewart
May 4th, 2017

love it....no frills but very easy to use. does what i expected...can't beat $14.99/month!

Steve Barlow
April 20th, 2017

Best system I have ever had. Easy instructions easy install easy testing works great now. No worries

S
April 19th, 2017 Omaha, NE

Easy to install but did not work. First customer service advised me the tower was not in the right place as they kept losing connection. Moved it several times and reset each time but to no avail. They finally sent me out a new chip to install in the tower. Once that was taken care of the alarm would not go off when we opened the door or when we opened the door and the alarm did go off we did not receive a call advising us the alarm had sounded. I received two touch pads for my home. One would say the alarm was set the other would say it was not set. Customer service had me take both touch pads off the wall and set them next to each other and reset. Put them back on the wall and again they would not read the same. After multiple resets I advised them we were sending all back as my 60 days was about up and they would not extend. If someone breaks into your home and they break the tower withing 60 seconds ( that is called a smash and grab by the way) Simpli-Safe will ignore it as they did when we set our alarm off accidentally. Reason being it stopped within 60 seconds. And your tower is the alarm so it leads someone right to itself.

Kathryn Miller
April 17th, 2017

This was extremely easy to install and so" simpli" easy to turn on and off. I like the fact that if we move we can take the system with us. It is a no frills system, but it serves its purpose and the price of the equipment and monthly monitoring fee are reasonable. This is our first home security monitoring service and I like that they have an initial 3 day "break in". It does take getting use to. Very happy with the purchase.

Howard Summerford
April 7th, 2017

System in use for almost 4 years. Easy to install, reasonable equipment cost, high quality components, everything works as advertised, batteries (except for key pad) last more than 3.5 years. Great customer service. No false alarms. Full monitoring and control from your smart phone option only $25 per month (basic $15).

fredmarler
April 6th, 2017 Crossville, TN

System working great. Easy to use. Suggestion: letters to small for senor citizens. Need reading glasses or Big Eye magnifying glass. Key chain unit to large for men to carry in their pockets. Need smaller size. I would re-buy and also recommend to family and others.

Daniel Ward
April 6th, 2017

Installation is a breeze, all sensors and items for security are preprogramaned for use upon arrival. 3 day practice, then alarmed for use. C.O.P.S. is rated as 1 of the best if not the best monitoring companies that is used by numerous companies.

Al Diggs
April 6th, 2017 Westerville, OH

I have had this system installed in my Condo for three months ,no problem ,good customer service , also there is a security camera available , that works with my smartphone .good value for the cost $14.95 p/m

Faye Curren
April 6th, 2017

System arrived on time and was very easy to set up.

Craig Dyer
April 4th, 2017 Zephyrhills, FL

I have had the simply safe system for 2 years now. It was easy to install and setup. It has worked without any problems. I have left home for up to 2 weeks at a time and the system has kept my home safe. I highly recommend. (My friend has ADT and had to sign a 3 year contract and pays $49.95 per month. I pay $14.99 per month.

Philip Jones
March 31st, 2017 Kingsland, GA

Simple to install and easy to program. I bought refurb packages for both homes. Thinking about a third system for our RV. Best value for the money. I like the flexibility in activation and monitoring. I.E. I can activate monitoring on the RV when I am on the road with it or suspend monitoring on any property at any time. Monitored security systems on 3 properties for $45 a month with no long term contract cannot be beat. Customer service has been superb!

Robert Wilson
March 28th, 2017 Amherst, NH

Excellent engineering. Very easy install. Sketchy instruction manual - needs work. Excellent Email/Blog response. Don't know about phone - didn't try that. No regrets purchasing.

j. brandt
March 23rd, 2017

When I had a problem with the master station Simplisafe replaced it without an hassle. I set the alarm off at 3am after driving 1000 miles and they called my cell within 30 seconds to tell me I had a alarm. Great service. I will be installing a second system in my second home soon. Jb

Stacy Britt
March 22nd, 2017

Having had security systems in our church for the last 16 years, SimpliSafe is by far the easiest to use and the most reliable. We get twice the protection at half the price. Installation was a snap, even with 7 doors, 3 motion detectors, 2 key pads, a siren, a glass breakage detector, and a smoke alarm, I had no trouble at all installing them. And I am thoroughly amazed at the response time from the monitoring company. I just can't say enough about it. This is so much better than our old company. Even through our power outage last week, it worked flawlessly. And the key chain remotes! They make using the system so much easier. All my trustees love the new system.

Tom
March 22nd, 2017 New Haven, CT

Easy to install. Everything worked right out of the box.

Mark Tomlinson
March 21st, 2017 Kensett, IA

I use this product for my home and home based business. The cameras that you can now add are super. I like that it is wireless and uses cell service to contact the monitoring service. It is very modular and can be customized to your needs.

Alexander Beal
March 21st, 2017 Maineville, OH

Useless if you lose power even for a second. Phone app give false confirmation of alarm status. Demands you manually check the system weekly to see if it is still working. Really just the perception of security.