SimpliSafe is a do-it-yourself security provider that offers basic security features, including burglary alarms, fire detectors, carbon monoxide sensors, freeze sensors, and flood sensors. SimpliSafe equipment can be ordered online and is customer-owned after purchase, with packages ranging from $229 to $489. SimpliSafe offers one of the lowest monthly monitoring fees in the industry, with monthly fees starting at $14.99 per month. The company uses cellular signal monitoring through COPS Monitoring Service, a CSAA-certified central monitoring station. SimpliSafe is one of the only home security providers that does not attach a contract to any of its equipment.

#1 Vivint chevron_right
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Cove chevron_right
4.8

The Good

• Low Monthly Fees
  • Industry Innovations
  • No Contract or Moving Fees
  • 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • "Brain" and Keypad are Separate Devices
  • 100% Wireless Equipment
  • Free and Easy Installation Process
  • Purchase Online

Low Monthly Fees

SimpliSafe's low monthly fees and absence of a contract are clear standouts in the security industry. The company's highest monitoring package ("Interactive") only comes in at $24.99, far below most professional security providers' most affordable option. The most typical monitoring package is priced at $14.99 per month.

Industry Innovations

Recently, more home security companies are hopping on the wagon of do-it-yourself systems, but SimpliSafe has been doing it for years. Recently, SimpliSafe has also redesigned its system to look more sleek and attractive. Sensors including motion detectors, window sensors, door sensors, security cameras, and even the wireless keypad control panel have gotten a makeover. You can also arm and disarm your alarm system through the SimpliSafe app on your mobile phone, along with view Simplisafe camera footage.

No Contract or Moving Fees

Something truly remarkable about SimpliSafe's price structure is that it does not attach contracts to its equipment; all customers pay on a month-to-month basis and can cancel at any time without penalty. Basically, no long-term contracts, unlike most home security companies. Moving your alarm system is simple and easy.

60-Day Money-Back Guarantee

In addition, SimpliSafe customers have 60 days to try out equipment and if unsatisfied, can return it to SimpliSafe for a full refund plus return shipping costs. As 30 days is considered a great guarantee in this industry, a 60-day guarantee truly stands out.

"Brain" and Keypad are Separate Devices

For an added layer of safety, the "brain" of SimpliSafe's system is located in a device separate from the keypad. If burglars destroy the beeping keypad, the brain will quietly alert the monitoring center.

100% Wireless Equipment

Because the SimpliSafe system is 100 percent wireless, no hard wiring or drilling is required. This is an appealing feature for renters and apartment owners, and also contributes to the aforementioned lack of moving fees. Equipment is as follows:

• Wireless keypad
  • Window sensors
  • Panic button
  • Freeze sensors

Free and Easy Installation Process

The free and easy installation process can also be completed without assistance and, in most cases, takes less than 15 minutes. Once the system and sensors are in a place, an alarm will sound whenever the control panel is armed and sensors detect burglars breaking in.

Purchase Online

SimpliSafe's equipment and monitoring services can be purchased on its website, eliminating the need to interact with often-pushy security salesmen.

The Bad

• Upfront Equipment Costs
  • Basic Security Equipment
  • Three-Year Warranty

Upfront Equipment Costs

As with most do-it-yourself solutions, SimpliSafe requires consumers to buy equipment upfront. This can cost anywhere from $229 to $489. Fortunately, SimpliSafe offers five package options to fit a variety of budgets and needs. Also important to note: you own this equipment forever after purchasing. Regardless, this price amounts to years of monitoring service from other top-rated alarm companies.

Basic Security Equipment

SimpliSafe equipment is extremely basic in both looks and functionality. The company doesn't offer touchscreen equipment or basic home automation services such as remote door locks, smart lighting/appliances, smart temperature control, and so on. However, video surveillance is available but requires a WiFi connection. Despite SimpliSafe's sleek new design and mobile app interface, the company needs to catch up to home automation trends, not just freeze sensors and motion detectors.

Three-Year Warranty

With SimpliSafe, you're getting basic, no-bells-and-whistles security equipment. And it's all covered with a three-year warranty, as opposed to the lifetime warranty many other providers offer. Most security systems from other companies will offer a lifetime warranty, so it's unfortunate to see SimpliSafe limiting their security systems to only three years.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

If you're looking for a basic do-it-yourself security option for a reasonable price, SimpliSafe is a viable option. And if you're a renter who doesn't want to hardwire a security system or pay a fee each time you move, SimpliSafe is a solid solution. But if you're looking for cutting-edge technology and want to turn your house into a "smart home," SimpliSafe is not the answer. There are plenty of other alarm companies who offer those services but expect them with higher prices and strict long-term contracts. Read Simplisafe reviews below before making your final decision.

View Best Home Security Companies

3.5

john bruno

January 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After years with a company that started with wired security systems and terrible numbers of false alarms, then partial wireless conversion and over $700 'monitoring fee' per year, the final insult was poor service and expensive repairs. Simplisafe does it all better. Easy to install for this 75 year old. Superb walk you through if you need it. Replaced a few parts that didn't work with no hassle. $24 a month.

LARRY GOOCH

January 2nd, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had alarm systems installed in my homes, rental properties and my office for forty years. I have used probably four different companies. Then a couple of years ago a local news station did a piece on a local alarm company and Simplisafe where a lady had a break in with another national company and the slow response where the crooks got away and then she found out about Simplisafe and decided to try them. Weeks after her self installation she had another break in and the police caught them because of the quick response on their monitoring. My alarm was giving us some problems so I decided to try Simplisafe, They gave me a nice trail period to return for a refund so it was a no brainer. We installed the system ourselves and have nothing but good things to say about them. Have accidentally caused false alarms three or four times and it amazes me at how fast they respond (seconds). Did have a detector malfunction and they replaced it immediately. Also if you should have a piece of your system go bad it does not affect the other components from operating. I highly recommend to any of my friends and family. I also want to say that I never take the time to write reviews on companies, but this system and their friendly helpful staff I feel deserves this review. Hope it helps!

Bill

January 2nd, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a retired police officer, I have encountered many alarm systems. Simplisafe is tje easiest to work with, & the best service & price.

Jim Johnson

December 27th, 2017 Chaska, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having spent a career in both engineering and marketing, I have to give SimpliSafe five stars in both. The simplicity, ease of installation and trouble free operation satisfies the engineering and the focus on reliability and economy without contracts and hidden charges speaks to insightful marketing. My experience in the business world has taught me the cause of negative testimonials is usually due to two reasons. One, the individual has a conflicting interest in a competitor or two, he is not adequately skilled to park a bicycle straight. I have had my SS system for three years and could not be more satisfied.

Paul Pongrace

December 27th, 2017 Allison Park, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have been satisfied for a year now, no issues. Monitor of system excellent, customer service very knowledgeable.This company is equal or superior of others of which I have experience over many years. Monitoring costs are fair, as other security providers over charge for the same service.

December 21st, 2017 Germantown, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Purchased in 2015, then in Novembeer 2017,the system failed. Had even purchased new batteries from Simple Safe that month. Checked batteries...all ok. Key pad would not function correctly, then would not recognize the motion sensors (4). Took forever to get through to tech advisor. She did entry of all units on my account and system came up again...for two days and then crashed. Have been using E mail trying to get a technician to call me...suggested specific time and date so I would not miss any call. Been on telephone for over an hour trying to get someone. Nothing. No reply to my e mail. Over 30 days and counting asking for help and no response. Did get my monitoring bill this month. Sorry I got involved. with this system. UPDATE: I have cancelled Simple Safe. Had to go through the alarm monitoring service to reach them to cancel.

Christopher

December 21st, 2017 Cary, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After receiving my alarm system and setting it up, which was easy the test continued to fail to send. I moved the base toward my window per the suggestions. After calling your customer service, I was informed that the T-Mobile based stations were a general issue with connecting and could take hours. So five hours later and 3 retests, the system is still not working correctly. I am now the proud owner of a security system that offers no security. I have read that the T-Mobile stations were commonly producing the connection problem. Without the base station connecting I am unable to have monitoring and just get a loud noise if something were to happen. This will make me feel so much better to hear the beeping sounds as I am being robbed. I am sure the sounds will be calming especially since no one will be notifying the police since your inferior T-Mobile base stations do not work correctly. This will also be great for a legal fight since a company representative acknowledged there was a problem.

Sean Kelly

December 20th, 2017 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good experience with customer service, the product is reliable and easy to install. Passed every intrusion test I could throw at it.

Michael Gorski

December 15th, 2017 Indianola, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had SimpliSafe for about one year now. Outstanding equipment and support. They don't rob you with overpriced equipment or monitoring fees.

robert paino

December 12th, 2017 Clifton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

had the system for about 18 months and love it...super easy to install, even for a non-skilled person, works great.... when I accidently set off an alarm, human error, not the system,the monitoring station would call within a minute.... you can see that this systems rating of 18th, is not real life reality based on actual user feedback, which is between 4 and 5 stars the people who gave it a one star probably had a faulty part to start with.... I received a non functioning tower at first, got the replacement, and all is well....would not deduct a star for that

Rebecca Kennedy

December 12th, 2017 Tijeras, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer for over 2 yrs. Simplisafe did for less than $500 what ADT was going to charge us $1500 for. Monthly monitoring is reasonable and the basic package is enough for us. I have always found customer service to be very helpful. Only two negatives for me. 1) The volume of the command station is too low. When you come in through the garage, you can barely hear the beeping to let you know the system is armed and needs to be turned off. If there were an external speaker, I'd buy it. 2) It is difficult to determine which sensor is open or in need of attention. Customer Services has helped me figure it out, but I wish it were easier. Those are the only things that keep this system from a 5 star rating.

Jim F.

December 12th, 2017 Burbank, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've used SimpliSafe for over two years and are extremely satisfied. I'm surprised anyone can be displeased with customer service; aside for mild displeasure with not having representatives available on weekend, every single time I've called with questions, the representives have (without exception), been very courteous and knowledgeable, and worked through my question or issue to resolution. As to weekend problems, the monitoring company can handle "emergency" issues; simple questions can generally wait until weekdays.

Dave Slowbe

December 4th, 2017 Westerville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall, I like the system. My only problem is that I, like many others in my age group, I have trouble hearing, especially higher pitched sounds. So, when I enter my house, I simply CAN NOT hear the warning beeps of the system. I've talked with Simpli-Safe about offering an adjustable toner, so I can hear the warning beeps. No luck. I can hear the base-station comments fine. I wish the warning beeps were a lower pitch. If they ever offer such a feature on the entry keypad, I'll buy one, and then be able to give them a 5-Star Rating. The given pitch of the warning beeps, is set to be in the normal range of hearing, however, as you get older (millions of us are), we lose that hearing range. Heads UP Simpli-Safe. Either offer a tone control knob on the keypad, or run the warning beeps back through the base station.

Brenda Wilson

November 29th, 2017 Statham, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had the system 4 months very pleased with it. Customer service is great. Would recommend Simplisafe to anyone.

Joseph Johnson

November 21st, 2017 La Quinta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can call them and order exactly the equipment you want. They will bundle it, discount it, and throw in a month monitoring to try it out. I also have Ring around my home and between the two I have great security at a low price and no contract.

Michael McCaffrey

November 20th, 2017 Canton, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a SimpliSafe packaged system three months ago and installed it myself with absolutely no problems. I bought our system online directly from SimpliSafe. It was easy to select what we needed. The price was very affordable and everything is working great. We were especially worried about motion detectors being kicked off by our Lab-Shepherd, but the instructions from SimpliSafe explained how to install the detectors to avoid pet-initiated false alarms and all is good. We actually were so impressed with how well our door, window, motion and glass break sensors worked that we decided to add their full time fire detection sensors. So we are now earning a 15% discount on our homeowners insurance. Hurray! I cannot stress to much how easy it is to set up the system, add sensors and configure the whole system. Some of our entry alarms are instant-on... some have small delays to allow us to get to the panel when we return home. We have complete control. Plus the techs and folks who monitor our system have been completely professional and extremely polite on the phone. Did I mention the low monthly monitoring fee of $14.99? And no contract is needed at all. We love our SimpliSafe system. And best of all... we love our newfound feeling of security.

Jan

November 14th, 2017 Lumberton, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered a Simplisafe system before I bought my house and had it with me the morning we closed the deal. I went over on my lunch hour and installed the system, by myself. It was easy. I had an issue with two of the entry sensors not working, so I called customer service. In a matter of minutes, we had the issue solved; he had me take the battery out and put it right back in; the sensor worked. I'm very happy with it so far.

George Long

November 3rd, 2017 Grants Pass, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I installed this system in my new house. It looked like a well thought out idea. My background as a LEO exposed me to many alarm systems. This is an excellent system for the cost. Even knowing how I installed it I could not defeat it.

Tom

October 17th, 2017 Buffalo, NY

Pathetic customer service. Don't waste your money

Alexander Krupetsky

October 11th, 2017 Bryn Mawr, PA

Had the worst experience while activating. I have had alarm systems on numerous properties over the years but this call to SimpliSafe really got my blood boiling. I was told that I have to go to a higher cost plan so SimplySafe can tell me what sensor location triggered the alarm. What nonsense? ADT would always tell me what triggered the alarm. I bought two systems over the holidays to protect the two homes I own. The monitoring price was attractive but this episode really turned me off. Will not activate and will look for another monitoring service. STAY AWAY FROM SIMPLISAFE!!!

Don

October 9th, 2017 Orlando, FL

We learned ONLY through trial and error that the camera does NOT work with 5G network. Had to return camera. Other than that it satisfies our needs.

charlie

September 25th, 2017 PA

Though I was saving with DIY and I am a master DIY guy. False fire alarms led to billing by fire department, which cost more then the system. Had to disconnect. Our old system shorted out after a electrical storm surge. The whole idea was to have fire/smoke protection.

Mary Ellen Fox

September 21st, 2017

I have had Simplisafe for 2 years. It was very easy to install and has worked well. If there was a problem it was handled quickly.

JOE

September 12th, 2017 Pueblo, CO

SIMPLY GREAT . SO EASY TO INSTALL HAS CAMERAS. LOVE IT

Bob Archuleta

September 11th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO

I had ADT for many years and due to cost dropped it. I now have simplisafe in my new home and they are more responsive then ADT was when we have accidental alarm set offs. It is lower cost with better response. Cannot ask for anything better.

Curtis Thornton

August 29th, 2017 Duncan, OK

My family purchase the Simplisafe system 4+ years ago. If I ever move, they'll be the first call I make. I've had ADT and many of the others and thought them to be "ok", but certainly not worth the contract and extra expense. Simplisafe works without a land line, they are very friendly and knowledgeable when I've had questions. While the system I've got (again, it aint new) is not the sleekest looking item I've seen, it is functional and very reliable and reasonable priced. I would definitely use them again and refer Simplisafe.

guenter

August 28th, 2017 Yuma, AZ

very quick response by monitoring service when alarm goes off, even when prior notice of battery change is planned and action is called in to the monitoring service. sliding windows can be one drawback for the system and half of the window needs to secured some other way.

Ken

August 28th, 2017 Tucson, AZ

Positives first: easy to install, customize. The system is relatively inexpensive and affordable compared to other systems. Negatives: Batteries for the key pad are very expensive when they wear out and have to be replaced. Quality of key chain clickers is very poor. The end caps fall off, so I've had to scotch tape them on. Have had to replace two when the device inside the clicker that holds the little silver battery in place fails, and no contact is made/clicker inop. I can't understand why S.S. can't make a durable clicker. Contrast that with the clicker for my 15 year old Dodge Durango which still works and has survived multiple years on a keychain. Twice I've gotten a "no connection to dispatch" error message which means the connection with their cell phone company they contract with for the base unit is having a problem. I was anxiously awaiting the release of their camera to add to the system, but when it came out I learned it can't be used outside. I've had a thief steal items out of my carport, including bolt-cutting padlocks, even with my S.S. signs up. (The house itself hasn't been broken into.) The point is I was hoping to add a system compatible camera to the outside of the house and was disappointed when the long-awaited release of S.S.'s new camera would not do the job.

August 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I totally disagree with their rating. I've been a customer for over two years with two homes and the system is affordable and it is cost effective professional monitoring. A three year warranty for the components is more than sufficient. If the component turned out to be defective outside of the warranty it's cheap to replace. Why are they making a judgment for not having a touch screen? If you want a good, basic cost effective home alarm monitoring system then Simplisafe is for you. Simple and Safe!

Sheldon Michel

August 25th, 2017 Boynton Beach, FL

Wish the keypad was lit.Hard to read in a medium lit room. Otherwise fantastic system.

James Stone

August 23rd, 2017

Service is excellent. Extremely easy to set up. Very easy and convenient to operate. Numerous packages, add ons, and two types monitoring fees which make it extremely affordable. Best move we made. They are also tied into local rules for registering home alarm systems if applicable. Smooth process start to finish.

Ronald Hardgrave

August 22nd, 2017 Boise, ID

We completely disagree with the low score from "Best Company." We highly recommend SimpliSafe . Easy to install, low monthly monitoring rates and quick response. Customer service is top notch! When we moved to a new larger home, getting more sensors mailed to us was a snap!!

Felix

August 22nd, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

Excellent. Customer service is excellent. Easy to setup. Quick responses. Monitoring is not expensive. No contract.

Nats fan!

August 21st, 2017

Outstanding equipment, very professional customer service, and installation was a snap. Simple and easy to do. Price was reasonable, considering I own the equipment, and monitoring is the least expensive around with no contract. Should be rated one of the highest and most efficient systems around.

Bud

August 18th, 2017

Great great security system!!! When I had a problem not to offen they CAME through ??Love love love it can sleep at nite knowing it's all good . Simplisafe is on guard!! 24/7 ?

Ken Roberts

August 17th, 2017 Rock Hill, SC

Simple install for someone who is not IT type. Quick response to alarms and no hassle replacing bad parts. System tell you if you have a bad sensor when trying to set alarm.

Jan Porterfield

August 14th, 2017 Milton, FL

We installed Simplisafe several months ago anticipating an extended trip we were taking this summer. It has been great, and we have had numerous security systems in the 24 home we have owned. It was super simple to install, and we had great help from their customer service to do the install....operation is easy...push a button and the system tells you your status and if any of the system is down. When we went on our trip we knew we were covered and that we would be notified if there was a problem. The only problem we have had is the little key fob my husband carries with his keys in his pocket....twice the keys and the fob align right and the alarm button gets pushed by the keys...the first time we caught it in time to disarm, the second time we didn't and we had a knock at the door by 2 policemen, after explaining what happened it was fine and my husband is no longer allowed to carry the fob on his key ring. All in all, that was a very convencing test of the system and we are feeling even safer in our home now.

Marshall A Boucher

August 14th, 2017 Dover, FL

excellent overall. I recommend. Motion sensors required contact cement to properly adhere to walls.

Steve Fox

August 14th, 2017 Vale, NC

Very quick to help change a faulty motion sensor for free over a year later and also found a closer cell tower to my location and sent a free exchange cell card for my base station for better connection. I have had other systems and will always use Simplisafe from now on.

RICK

August 9th, 2017 Fort Worth, TX

SIMPLI SAFE IS THE WAY TO GO FOR AN EFFECTIVE AND INEXPENSIVE WAY TO GUARD YOUR HOUSE. WHETHER YOU USE THE COMPLETE SET UP OF USE SOME ON THE ENTRY AND EXIT DOORS WITH A FEW MOTION DETECTORS YOU CAN HAVE COMPLETE ASSURANCE THAT SOME ATTENTION WILL BE DRAWN TO THE ALARM. I GET A SENSE OF RELIEF WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR AND THE FAMILIAR "COUNTDOWN" TO THE ALARM BEGINS, READY FOR YOU TO USE YOUR CODE TO SHUT IT OF BEFORE IT TOTALLY ACTIVATES THE SIREN.

William L Scott

August 8th, 2017 Chatsworth, GA

Had the system only a short time but well-designed and very easy to install. I recommend it.

Karen Griffith

August 8th, 2017 VA

We have had this system for several years and are completely satisfied. We have only had one false alarm, from one motion sensor, cause unknown. The system is easy to install, the service from the alarm company is excellent. We have accidentally set off the alarm twice and the alarm company's response was immediate.

Sharon Fulmer

August 7th, 2017 Port Angeles, WA

I've had this service for 6 months and I LOVE it! I tell all our Family and Friends. I pay $ 24.95 per mo. but, I have Cameras and I can go on my phone and look inside my house at anytime. I can also turn my alarm off and on from my phone which is a great feature if you forget to set your alarm.

Gerald Gerard

August 4th, 2017 Saint Paul, MN

We have had our system for over 2 years and love it. Since we own it, we have complete flexibility in the configuration ... need another sensor? just order it. Want another smoke detector, just order it. Online status and configuration is awesome. Keep track of sensors, their battery status, etc. We're moving soon and can remove and reinstall the system in just a few hours. User comments about key fobs are valid. We usually don't use ours ... key pad works just fine.

August 4th, 2017 Prairieville, LA

Simple and easy to install. I had the system for over a year and recently added a water sensor to my A/C pan and added two of the HD cameras. Very high quality video, but they don't sell an outside camera yet. I added a Ring floodlight cam and now I'm a happy camper. No false alarms to date . Very satisfied with my system.

Lin Cole

July 31st, 2017

Have had my Simplisafe alarm for about a year. System was easy to buy, simple to set up and for a relatively low price protects my home. I rate the system about a 9.5 to 10.0. The only problem I have is getting the system alarm set. Often takes several times punching in numbers to set it. This system is well worth investing in for personal and asset safety

Tom Walsh

July 27th, 2017 Meredith, NH

Simple and easy to install. Received a water alarm the 2nd day we had the system activated and discovered that our water heater had sprung a small leak! Saved the day - suggest adding moisture/water sensor to your order!

Thomas White

July 24th, 2017

SimpliSafe is a great system. no contract low cost no hassle

Gary E Ruppert

July 24th, 2017

Easy to install. Low monthly fees. Get an extra touch panel because the key fobs don't show you if the alarm system is set. We keep one in the console of the vehicle. Sometimes the key fob did not set or turn off the alarm. With the extra panel you KNOW!

Callooh Media Company

July 17th, 2017

Simply Amazing, easy to use, great apps and it works just as good or better than the big guys systems! I can't say enough to I have it at home and office and love it!