Select Security opened its doors in 1998. Its team professionally installs all systems and provides 24/7 monitoring from its three monitoring centers. Select Security offers four main package options starting at $99 in installation fees. Specific monthly pricing can be obtained by requesting a free quote through the Select Security website. Select Security stays up to date on the latest technology available to give consumers energy saving and cutting edge security solutions. Each of its packages are equipped with basic security technology along with some home automation features in its smart home package options.

#1 Vivint chevron_right
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Frontpoint chevron_right

The Good

• Home Automation Features Provided
  • Professionally Installed and Monitored

Select Security provides all of the basics necessary for an effective security system. Each of its packages comes with door/window sensors, a motion detector, and touchscreen key panel with the option to include additional technology to the package. Homeowners can integrate smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to the security system providing additional peace of mind that these systems will be monitored by one of Select Security's monitoring centers. Along with security features, Select Security offers virtually any home automation technology. Consumers can control energy costs with smart thermostat, small appliance control, lighting control, automatic door locks, and more. One of the nice features of Select Security systems is that they are professionally monitored and installed. Select Security has three different monitoring centers all of which are UL listed and Central Station Alarm Association Five Diamond certified. Customers should feel confidant their system is monitored 24/7 by certified professionals.

The Bad

• Lack of Online Transparency
  • Potentially High Costs
  • Poor Customer Service Reviews

One of the more discouraging aspects of Select Security's website is its lack of online transparency, particularly regarding pricing and contract details. Its packages provide the cost of installation, but lack any information about monthly costs. Select Security's website also lacks any contract details including contract length and cancellation policy. It is concerning to enter into a contract with a company who does not provide upfront details regarding its contract, especially when the company's contract is one of the longest in the industry. A previous audit conducted by our review team found Select Security's contract length to be 36 months. It is vital for consumers to understand all of the terms and conditions they will be agreeing to when signing any contract, especially one they will be locked into for five years. There have been several poor Select Security customers reviews left on our website. Most consumer complaints involve problems with equipment as well as poor transparency from representatives. Several customers were unknowingly locked into a contract they did not want in the first place or charged for fees they did not authorize. Overall, customers felt that Select Security customer service was difficult to deal with and rarely able to help resolve their issue.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

While Select Security does provide several security and home automation features, there are many aspects of its services which we find concerning. Its poor customer service reputation accompanied with its lengthy contract may find customers locked into a five-year service agreement where they are unable to receive the quality service they pay for. We recommend consumers look into some of our top rated home security companies with a positive customer service reputation. Compare company services and package options to find the security company that can meet your specific needs.

View Best Home Security Companies

2.0

kathleen montgomery

September 30th, 2019 Philadelphia, PA

the only problems I have is when their equipment goes haywire and you need someone to come out to look at it .50.00 service call. I have had it for 15 years. it was ADP then Select took over and used the same equipment. I know I can get better service but don't have the time. So I will be keeping it until then. Their notifications are not at all very good!!

Mark

May 21st, 2019 Mentor, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service bad prices went up. We used to be with another company until Select took them over. Prices went up and service went down. They say they can’t find techs. Very dishonest and immoral company.. I hope these smaller companies start fighting back. Select Security has to be stopped

M. Moser

April 25th, 2019 Euless, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My security provider sold "my contract" to Select Security. In the past 13 days the Select monitoring staff have notified me during the day while I was at work the alarm was going off and asked if I wanted the police dispatched; which of course I did. The first time it occurred (13 days ago) I asked if someone would let me know if my home was breeched and was told yes. Unfortunately an hour later I had not received any follow-up information so I called them back. I was told they "think" everything was okay because the police did not notify them. I called my former provider and complained this is not "secure" security and received an apology and an assurance the supervisor of the monitoring company would be notified. Today I receive 2 calls 2 hours apart the system is alarming again. The earlier call, I agreed to dispatch the police. And as happened before, no one followed-up with me. THEN 2 hours later, it happened again. By now I realize I must have a malfunction in the sensor. So again I call my previous provider and learn my "contract" was sold to Select and they really can not help me. IN FACT, Al told me I can't cancel my service with Select and return to the previous provider due to a "conflict of interest." What he really meant was their contract has a non-compete agreement preventing my former company from taking back their former customers. At my request, Select is sending a service tech to look at the window to determine why the false alarms are going off and I will then cancel Select Security as soon as possible. The monitoring staff at Select are poorly trained, unprofessional, never offered to schedule a tech to come check out the system and clearly don't care whether the customer feels safe.

Davia

March 19th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away from this company! I had service with Select Security for 7 years during which time I had multiple issues with their system such as the "trouble" light going on or the alarm going off for no reason. The police have been dispatched to our home at which time our neighbor had to let them into our house in order to clear it. There was no problem. What finally was the end for me was when my neighbor was contacted (neither my husband nor I received a call) by Select Security and called to tell me the police were being dispatched AGAIN to our home. WE WERE HOME. THE ALARM WAS NOT GOING OFF IN THE HOUSE, nor had it gone off, but for some unknown reason it was going off at the central station. Again, there was NO reason for the alarm to go off. I then had another company install a new service. When I called Select Security to cancel their service I was informed that my 5 year contract had AUTOMATICALLY renewed in 2017 and it had to pay the remainder of the 5 years, until 2022, to cancel their service. They do not notify you that your contract is going to renew and I do not recall ever being told about the 5 year automatic renewal. I was told it is written on the back of the contract I had signed 7 years earlier. I would have not changed security companies without good reason. My point is that I would think the system was working properly after being “fixed” by their tech and then there would be a problem again. I no longer felt secure or that the Select Security system was dependable and therefore breached their end of the deal. I should not have to worry about how my security system is going to behave and whether or not an alarm is valid or false. I now feel as though I am being robbed by Select Security and not a burglar.

Karen davis

August 22nd, 2018 Lewisville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

To expensive. When the sales person sold us the system we were told that repair service was included reason i was paying a premium. Original company sold my contract to select security and they charge for repairs. System stopped work door switches fell off door. Contract is up tgis month needless to say i will not renew. I also had a 5 yr contract.

Michael Otteson

June 20th, 2018 Mechanicsburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were approached by a salesman knocking on doors. He sold us on some features that did not work, like remotely controlling our thermostat from a phone. He did not say how long the contract was. A phone call from the company told me it was 5 years. It appears they had a team of salesmen and installers going from state to state. This one was from Utah. The biggest complaint is that my credit card has changed numbers twice since that time. It is always a hassle. One time I gave them a new card number, they billed it but missed a month. Started getting over due notices etc. Contacting them was nearly impossible. Seems like one person does it all. Recently a battery needed to be replaced and we set off the fire alarm by mistake. THe button is unmarked and right next to the battery compartment. Called them and they said that they could not recall a fire alarm. Fireman cae, My 5 years is up thankfully. Terrible customer service.

betty cusson

September 30th, 2017

Thanks to andy. Our alarm is working Great. You did your job from the start and the final . You are a professional in your job. Thanks so much or a great job!again thanks betty cusson and I think you should go great in your profession.