CPI Security provides customized home security and automation solutions for its customers in select states. CPI security costs are not listed on its website regarding equipment fees, and the overall CPI security price for monthly monitoring is not publicly disclosed. Home security and automation options feature remote system access, instant text/email alert notifications, and free professional installation. The company designs and installs its own home security equipment and provides customers with 24/7 professional monitoring and around-the-clock customer service support.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
#2 Frontpoint chevron_right
#3 Guardian Protection chevron_right

The Good

• Free Professional Installation
  • 24/7 Professional Monitoring
  • Remote Mobile App System Access
  • No False Alarm Guarantee

Free Professional Installation

CPI Security offers home security solutions that includes free professional installation, remote system access, and up to $2,100 in free equipment.

24/7 Professional Monitoring

CPI Security provides 24/7 professional monitoring from a team of certified professionals.

Remote Mobile App System Access

Customers are able to choose from a variety of home automation, energy management, and video surveillance options. CPI Security also offers fire and carbon monoxide protection equipment. Interactive security services can be accessed and controlled through the inTouch mobile app downloaded on a customer's smartphone, tablet, or computer. These interactive services included lighting and thermostat control, video alerts, and door lock remote access. Monthly monitoring features rapid response times and instant text/email notifications. The cellular communication systems do not require a phone line connection.

No False Alarm Guarantee

Customers who have the Real Time Response System installed will not be charged fines for false alarms due to home security equipment malfunctions.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Monthly Monitoring Costs
  • Early Termination Fee
  • Undisclosed Service Transfer Fee
  • Additional Fees

Undisclosed Monthly Monitoring Costs

CPI Security price is unknown. The company is not fully transparent on its website on a number of important details regarding its home security plans. There are no specific packages to choose from and CPI security costs, including monthly monitoring, are not listed.

Early Termination Fee

Customers are assessed a fee of up to 75 percent remaining on their service agreement if they choose to terminate the contract early.

Undisclosed Service Transfer Fee

The company also charges an undisclosed amount for transferring services if a customer moves to a new residence. Customers will need to pass a credit check in order to be approved for activation.

Additional Fees

If customers desire outdoor video surveillance equipment, they will be charged an additional $99 equipment fee. Renters must pay a $299 upfront installation fee. The company offers an equipment warranty that provides coverage on parts replacement and labor costs for only 90 days. After that, customers are responsible for all service fees and repair costs for the length of the contract.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

CPI Security offers customized home security, energy management, and video surveillance solutions for customers. The company professionally installs its own equipment at no charge and provides 24/7 monitoring with certified dispatchers at its central monitoring stations. However, the company is not completely transparent with CPI Security costs, such as upfront pricing, monitoring costs, and other service fees.

View Best Home Security Companies

Reviews from #1 Home Security Company

Protect America

DCH
October 11th, 2018 | Hampton, VA

Jenny was great. We recently had to move due to a threat to my home. My old setup wasn’t effective. After speaking to Jenny my wife and I started to brainstorm with her and she kept giving us options that were affordable and EXACTLY what we were looking for. Now can’t wait to get it in and installed. Rush ship it please 😄

Kelly Geels
September 17th, 2018 | Visalia, CA

Fast set up and great customer service, system works well. Love that equipment was free and no contracts! Perfect for our family

2.5

Brooks
May 17th, 2019 Wilmington, NC DETAILS

Paid all invoices on time, every time. Was made to sign a 39 month contract, fulfilled 30 of that and still had to pay in 75% of remainder. Not willing to meet halfway. Don't sign an extended contract with CPI. Service is not worth it and customer service is sub par.

David M Sanders
March 29th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

We have had the system now for over a year and cannot wait for the contract period to end so we can get rid of them. they are the WORST! First off, they installed an old style (UGLY) control panel in spite of our protesting that we wanted the newer style (which my daughter had installed at the same time as we had ours installed). In spite of repeated request to replace it we have always been refused until today when they said it would be an additional $300! Second, we have had a continuous problem with sensors going bad, malfunctioning and going off in the middle of the night for no reason. Techs have been to our home a half dozen times over the past year replacing them. Third, we have a ;Smart Home; and CPI's system is NOT Smart Home friendly unless you buy all their equipment which costs thousands. I wish I had never heard of them and the end of the contract period cannot come soon enough for me. YOU SHOULD NOT BUY their service IMO.

ErnieSC
February 21st, 2019 Boiling Springs, SC DETAILS

Research CPI WELL! Their OWN Website shows nearly (5) FIVE Stars. BUT, Check Google Reviews, Yelp, This one and others where CPI cannot Manipulate the Reviews vis a vis their Company Website! Having purchased TWO Systems simultaneously 5 Years ago - One for my Home and One for a Commercial Building I own, my Experience has been horrible!!! I don't have the time to list all the problems nor would you take the time to read them but I'll mention just a Few! On my Home, it took FOUR (4) Visits and (3) THREE Technicians to get our System up - and unbeknownst to my Wife and Me STILL incorrectly and incompletely installed. I had foolishly Signed TWO (5) Five Year Contracts and was "Locked In" short of taking Legal Action. Unfortunately due to Five Serious Surgeries/Procedures, I was physically and mentally unable to get involved in Litigation! Today is February 21, 2019. I have advised them MULTIPLE Times to NOT Auto Renew my Service on the Contract Expiration Date of April, 25, 2019! TODAY, I received a call from them regarding my Monthly Payment. (I received their Invoice THREE Days ago and my Wife was actually writing the Check as they Called!) I had changed to demanding a Monthly Paper Bill (6) Six Months ago when my CC on File expired as I had been advised they would "Auto Renew" if We forgot to notify of Non-Renewal before the Expiration Date of our Contract. BUT, they could NOT put a note in their System more than 30 Days prior to contract Expiration - YOU ARE ENTIRELY RESPONSIBLE FOR KEEPING UP WITH THE "Thirty Day Rule"!!! See why I went to demanding a Monthly Paper Bill? Regarding the Commercial Building? Salesman Blatantly Lied! I was Closing a Business and turning Building into a "Multi-Tenant" Business complex. He said they could "Partition" the System so all 3 or 4 Businesses could use the same System and I could actually split/share the cost. AFTER Installation, He called and advised his Customer Service V.P. said they could NOT do that due to "Liability Reasons"! Of course, what He actually wanted was 2 - 3 more Clients paying Individually. I understand that - EXCEPT, they lied and then reneged! Once again I was constrained from fighting with them for Health Reasons! So they got about $6 Grand from Me for Horrible Service! Enjoy it! As of Next Month, they will never get another Dime! I have many, many more examples of their incompetence but I'll stop here with this and the 1 Star. Sincerely regret I can't give Zero Stars!

A. Wallace
January 22nd, 2019 Ninety Six, SC DETAILS

We own our home and live in a rural area in South Carolina with good cell phone coverage. We’ve been very satisfied with both the customer service and professionalism of the install technician. Due to the poor Internet download speeds available, our technician informed that video camera monitoring was not recommended and that reduced our monthly monitoring costs. The walking inspection of our home and basement generated suggestions (no hard sell) for gas/smoke/fire sensors and a few more “smash” sensors. All new customer installation and contract period terms were explained. I liked the wireless communication system and user friendly sensor panels and easy to follow instructions. I’ve had monitored security systems in Hawaii and Washington D.C. and CPI Security has been more upfront with disclosing costs and contract terms. So far, I’ve been satisfied with their home security monitoring.

FRANK JONES
January 7th, 2019 Stella, NC DETAILS

I have been with CPI for 5 years. I read all the contract information and decided to go with them. I have seen no hiding of fees, etc. People should read the contract. I have paid nothing for my system other than the monthly monitoring charge. They have always been courteous to me. I have referred CPI to 3 of my neighbors and they have been well satisfied with the service CPI provides. I am concerned that the scores are not higher.

Keith C
December 30th, 2018 Huntersville, NC DETAILS

Do NOT engage CPI unless you expect to be fully disappointed. They don't show up at appointments and don't notify you of such.

Michelle
December 30th, 2018 Taylors, SC DETAILS

We just got cpi and I read the contract also. But I brought that to there attention and I have on record saying that it's only until the equipment is paid for then it's month to month. Because I was not signing a 5 year's contact or did I. It's even on our paperwork that when equipment is paid for its month to month. Hope this helps ppl. But so far it's been great. The sellers are rude. But the tech that came to our home was Adam and he was wonderful. But we didn't sign no contract they tried before he arrived but I said no. And that's what we did. The equipment works great.

Greg
December 7th, 2018 Cary, NC DETAILS

Fair equipment but the “not mentioned” 60 month contract with a 75% fee on the remaining of your “contract “ makes their service not worth it at any price.

Joan
November 26th, 2018 Norwood, NC

10 minutes before service tech arrived, CPI called and wanted a copy of Deed, a current credit report and finally a copy of the insurance deck page for current coverage. They wanted all of this before a system could be installed and I was not aware they needed this until 10 minutes before a tech arrived as I had already paid for all the equipment upfront. Said they had to send all of this to their "underwriters" for approval and my response to them was that I was not buying a house or even a car as I did not feel all of this was warranted. Needless to say I cancelled and requested my funds back for the equipment. 2 days later I received a text offering a "free camera and door bell". I would never recommend this company to anybody!!!

Billie Billeisen
July 23rd, 2018 High Point, NC

I recently moved to North Carolina and wished to safeguard my home and my dog, Juliet. Randall was my sales associate and Terry was my tech. Both gentlemen were exactly that, gentlemen who conducted themselves professionally and yet were kind as well. Terry spent extra time to be certain I was well taken care of and understood my responsibilities. I am grateful for both gentlemen! I am most happy with my choice at this time.

Theresa
February 23rd, 2018 Statesville, NC DETAILS

The service is too expensive 4999 and they lock you in for a 4 to 5 year contract and you can get the same service for a 2999 any place else with the exact same installation equipment and then installation is free of charge

Preston Ingalls
January 4th, 2018 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

I have been with CPI for about 18 years and was overall happy with them until I moved. I needed a credit check and hardware restrictions became a headache. I started bypassing their system with my own cameras because theirs would drop out often. I filed complaints with their office. They have a major penalty if you leave. Wish I had shopped around before picking these guys.

trent
October 9th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

have been with cpi for almost 15 years have had no problems. quick service and reasonable fees

Stephen Parker
August 17th, 2017 High Point, NC

I've been with CPI for 7 yrs now. Techs are very friendly and helpful and provide excellent service in person. I concur with the review about undisclosed fees...they are not open about them. I moved my service and had to pay more than I felt was reasonable. I like their usage of Alarm.com's hardware intregrated into the InTouch system. It's really easy to install but tech support will swear that they are the only one's that can install the equipment and all of it must be purchased from them or it will not work. I don't like being lied to so they can charge me installation fees and overcharge for the equipment. Ebay sells all their products at a fraction of the cost. Service other than that is good but lying to me is what pulls my score down to average.

Richard P. Burgess, SR.
August 7th, 2017 Gaffney, SC

I've had CPI for approximately two years now. Couldn't be more pleased with the service and comfort of knowing that my home is protected. Love the Intouch connections where I can monitor my house from anywhere in the world.

Pedro Galvan
July 5th, 2017 Rock Hill, SC

I was having problems with one camera going offline frequently. When calling CPI they simply said there is nothing they could do but replace the camera, at my cost. The camera was installed new by their staff about two years prior. Terrible service.

Perry
June 1st, 2017 Anderson, SC

Equipment is substandard rarely works as intended.

Kathy Major
April 17th, 2017

locks you up into 5 more yrs on your contract which makes you stuck with them for 10 years with a small upgrade. Do not tell you. Bottom of contract says 12 months but there is another place where is says 60 months. Costs 75% to get out of contract. Had security camera and noticed red light was on. They said it only records when the alarm goes off. Disconnected it but will not take off the extra $10 a month. Feel like I was being spied on. DO NOT GET THEIR SERVICE. LONG CONTRACTS AND HIGH MONITORING PRICES!!!!!! Customer service very defensive