Swann Logo

Swann

6.3

LAST UPDATED: July 7th, 2021

Swann is a security company that is based out of Melbourne, Australia. The company began with a family-owned business that has expanded to include locations in the United States, Hong Kong, Australia, and other major countries.

Swann prides itself on making security advanced, yet easy and having exceptional customer service with 24/7 availability. You can purchase Swann technology directly from its website, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Lowe's, and a variety of other online and in-store retailers. The network of resellers is part of Swann's promise to make its technology easy and accessible to its customers.

Swann offers a variety of products, including indoor and outdoor video surveillance cameras, video recorder options, and other smart home security solutions.

If you want to see what consumers have to say about the security company, you can find Swann reviews below

The Good

• Camera Options
  • Features
  • Swann Pricing
  • Smart Home Options
  • Online Tools
  • Extended Warranty
  • Swann Mobile App

Camera Options

Swann is a smart security company that has a wide range of security cameras and security systems at a very low price. The company stocks well over twenty cameras. Swann's products range in price, which reflects the "do-it-yourself" approach to Swan's branding culture. Customers, depending upon their needs, can select affordable cameras for a home security project or the most expensive cameras to provide the maximum security for a business or other commercial enterprise. Having a variety of options and a wide price range ensures there are security options for most customers.

Swann camera options include bullet cameras, dome cameras, video camera doorbells, and Wi-Fi connection cameras. Individual camera prices range from $59.99 to $399.99. Security systems with additional equipment range from $179 to $2,000

Features

Swann's security cameras include a variety of features such as:

• Motion lighting
  • Heat and motion sensing
  • 2-Way talk
  • Color night vision
  • Weatherproof technology
  • Sirens and spotlights
  • Video analytics

Swann Pricing

Because Swann offers an assortment of security products, there is not an exact price range. Having the freedom to select individual products and not being forced to purchase a large security package ensures more customers have the ability to purchase Swann products, regardless of their budget.

Smart Home Options

Swann offers a variety of smart home options. Swann smart home security includes a wired security kit or a wire-free smart security camera that can detect and record heat and motion. Swann security cameras also have two-way audio so you have capabilities like speaking to someone who is at the front door.

Swann smart home options additionally include live streaming and remote viewing of footage from a mobile device or tablet as well as instant alerts to the Swann app when activity is detected and recorded. The company's security products are compatible with the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, so you can easily control your wireless Swann security cameras and home security system with these smart home devices.

Online Tools

Swann's website has exclusive content resources to help its visitors and potential customers make the best security decisions for them. This includes online video tutorials and how-to guides. This makes it simple for consumers to find the help they need and to research more about Swann and its offerings.

The company's website also has a Security Solution Finder that lets consumers select and compare security systems. If visitors need additional help regarding Swann's products, the company also offers technical support with a wide array of FAQs, customer service support, warranty and return information, and more.

Extended Warranty

Swann Security offers a 12-month warranty on all products. If anything malfunctions, you can send it back and receive a new product. If you contact Swann within 30 days of your purchase, you can also apply for an extended warranty, which is an additional six months of coverage (18 months in total). To be eligible, you need to retain your original purchase receipt or invoice.

Swan's website states that the extended warranty "offer excludes RC toys, Xtreem product range and products purchased as refurbished or open box from SwannStore."

Swann Mobile App

Swann has its own mobile apps that give you access to live footage from your surveillance cameras and push notifications when motion and heat are detected. Because there are multiple apps, Swann's website notes that you should check the model number printed on the video recorder or camera.

This will tell you which mobile app you need. For example, if you have an 8 Channel DVR-4500, that will require the SwannView Plus app. If you have any issues determining which Swann app to download, you can contact the company's tech support or customer service department.

The Bad

• Number of Products
  • Swann Reviews

Number of Products

A point of concern deals with new camera customers being overwhelmed with the number of products available from Swann. While Swann does carry information on some of its bundle packages, it lacks several support options such as PDF manuals and online tutorials. However, the customization of choosing individual Swann products is convenient for many customers and Swann can assist you in selecting the cameras and equipment that is right for you.

Swann Reviews

Swann reviews include some negative comments regarding the company's products. Thankfully, Swann products include a 12-month warranty and are eligible for an additional six-month warranty (18 months in total), so if there are any issues within that time frame, Swann will take care of the problem with a refund or a product replacement.

Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Swann is a security company that offers innovative and wireless surveillance and monitoring technology with an abundance of security equipment. The company provides indoor and outdoor security cameras for more extensive security.

The company has a DIY approach to make installation simple and carefree for consumers and offers a variety of products that consumers can choose from.

Swann security systems include smart home solutions including a mobile app that sends your mobile device push notifications when your security camera motion sensor detects movement. You can also use the app for remote viewing of your digital video recorder as well as to control your Swann products with the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.

Swann is convenient for customers looking to buy individual security products rather than a prearranged security package that is non-customizable and may not include all desired security products.

If you want to learn more about the security provider, check out Swann reviews below. You can also check out full security systems companies if you are interested in professional monitoring and more robust security systems.

View Home Security Camera Companies

Need a Full Home Security System? See Top Companies

1.5

Rhonda Peters Parker, CO

No fee for monthly service which is what I wanted and am VERY happy with. I have the 4k DVR with 8 cameras and its great to monitor my house. The software took some work to get set up and learn how to navigate, but the customer service was helpful and I have monitoring on my phone and laptop over the internet. Its fun that the alarm and light feature can be activated remotely and family members can be pranked. The downside is that to access the DVR directly requires a computer or TV monitor that takes HDMI directly. I have a VGA device so will need to upgrade. Great motion feature--so it only records when motion, and evidently cannot download recordings on my phone, but can from the internet. Overall this was a good a choice and good buy.

Moin Sadat Guildford, SRY

Swann is a Fraud company. I bought 4 wireless cameras from them last year. I using initial few months I have not used those cameras. When I tried to use them last month, they have changed their app and my cameras are not connecting with their new app. When I have called them, they said those cameras are not compatible with their new app and I have to buy new ones. I felt like, I have been completely ripped. They are not cheap cameras and I don't know how they are doing business in this country. When I have checked the Trustpilot review, found that thousands of similar stories. Please be aware of any product from them.

Ari Henning Huntington Park, CA

I've had a SWANN NVR/POI system for about two years now, and hate it. Even with SWANN's latest PIR camera I get soooo many false alerts. I've spent hours and hours on the phone with customer service (all outsourced) and it's just a runaround. Ultimately the latest Level 2 tech I spoke to told me that my cameras and system are operating as normal. This, despite the fact that I receive upwards of 300 alerts a day (for an empty, quiet back yard). I'm so frustrated to have spent $500+ on this system. I'm at the point where I'll likely just get new/different cameras and NVR and reuse the CAT5 cable I ran all over my property.

Ghoul Boi Wolf Creek, OR

The Egg cam. Shaped like an egg, with feet, connects to WiFi. Has onboard battery, onboard infrared, charges with a micro usb cable or a solar panel. Has onboard video event files accessible remotely, no DVR needed. Portable. Never turns off. Great night vision heat signature, or difference between warm figures and cold backgrounds. Caught critters immediately. Can set in new place every night if want, thanks to included magnetic mount. Weatherproof. Widefield lens. Got cam, mounts, solar panel, and cabling for $99.00 USD. Buying 3 more as soon as I can. Works great. Tested it all week. Good detection. Alerts sent to cellphone thru app. Caught neighbors dog, a fox, wandering chickens, and a cat. Model SWWHD-INTCMSOLTD is a grand slam. Thank you.

The Hand Up Project Everett, WA

I purchased 4 of these systems may 2nd 2021 and after installing the first one we could not view it with the app on our phones or off site computers and we immediately contacted support with no luck and we were escalated to level 3 tech and they scheduled calls but only called once of the 3 set appointments did they call and i have a tech that has tried working with them but after 14hrs they still cannot get it to work and my tech charges $75 an hour. after all the issues and failures to fix the problem i have decided to return the other 3 systems to BestBuy but the cameras are already installed on the first one so we are keeping that one and just using an Annke DVR for the cameras.

Ray G

I have just purchased a Swann 3K series wired system, system arrived packaged perfectly in security sealed box. Everything has worked perfectly including network connections to my iphone, video quality of the 5MP cameras is great, Night vision has good range and clarity in IR mode. Everything just works. Hardest part of the entire job was remembering my iphone App store password.

CL Daugherty Services Auburn California Auburn, CA

I'm not a person who normally writes reviews nor do I look at them because it's usually filled with personal opinions and not facts. Well for some reason I did read a few reviews after being on a sport website. after reading Schwan's reviews and all the people complaining about their product and service I realized the reviews were filled is just that, people complaining about a cheap camera system should have unlimited support and things that were stolen during the non operation of the system like it was swans fault that their stuff was stolen come on people it's where you live not the camera systems they're stealing your stuff grow up you don't get champagne on a beer budget. I've been using in purchasing Swan products for about 20 years now and the one thing I have realized is the abundance of different products for the price range of $14 to well over $1,000 summer quality summer not quality but you don't get these options with a regular security camera company you will pay through your nose and you will always have a tech that comes out to help you navigate your system because they are truly complicated. Swan is geared for do it yourself fur if you are not a do-it-yourselfer do not purchase this product if you are go ahead it's a very reliable product some things that are new in the box yes go bad they've always stood behind their product I've never had a problem exchanging anyting nor have I had continuous product failures everything that I purchased has work for me with the exception of a few things flawlessly for the price you will not get a better system. I noticed some people have complained about things not working after having electricians or other people install them that's not swans problem they offer certified installers for a very cheap price if you're not using one of their certified installers you're gambling on your own it's not the company's fault. People don't realize it when you're installing some of the products even if they are weatherproof doesn't mean they are bulletproof the Sun the rain and the elements have a huge effect on the way these cameras work or operate or can be affected this is why if you're not a do-it-yourselfer and you do not understand certain things about how a security system works you should not buy these products and just purchase a security system from a security company and then you will see how much it really costs and how hard it is to set up the system even with 24-hour support it doesn't mean everything is going to work all the time so with that being said this is what I think of swans products. They are one of the best products you can buy for the money relatively simple to install relatively simple to use and the best part about it is it's at the convenience of almost any of your local brick-and-mortar stores saves you from waiting for delivery of anyting you got Hands-On in the store you can see what you're purchasing and decide a little bit better if that's something you want to buy if you are do it yourself over and looking for a good security system at a low cost these are the products for you they are everywhere and in abundance. You will not get a better product for the price I stand behind Swan because so far after last 20 years they've stood behind me at my numerous different properties and made them much more safer and much more easier for the police to enforce punishment on the crimes that have been committed . thank you Swann for giving me peace of mind and help pursuing Justice where is before I would have just in another victim without a clue what happened or what's going on. Thank you again Swann

Bob Mesquite, TX

I bought the SWNVK-886804FB. Came 01/19. I have been calling the US office for days and just get a loop. When I try different departments and press the number requested I get hung up on. ABSOLUTLEY NO SUPPORT. I tried sales, accounting, HR, shipping and the used there contact support on the web site, Here is the response. Thank you for contacting Swann USA, Canada & Rest of World . Here is a copy of your message. "If you require further information please contact us at your closest Swann Office below". WHich I did and got the results above. No wonder they did not respond via email appropriately. No sense buying the product unless you have a company to back it up. $$$$$$$ down the drain. I have a recording of the loop and attempts to get in touch with anyone a Swann.

Steve

Surprised to read the poor reviews. My experience was different. Telephone support was excellent with patient, knowledgable staff who guided me through a problem and eventually diagnosed that a small battery needed replacing inside the unit. 6 screws later and a new battery fitted and all as new. Great service all round.

David Cochrane

We feel much more secure when we are away with peace of mind knowing we can view our property when we are not home. The pricing is affordable for families which is a big relief and the warranty is great 18 months free warranty.

John Needham

the only reason I have given a 4* and not 5 is that the software is a bit clunky, especially the playback option which takes an age to go through and find the video clips needed. In all other respects, quality of images, remote access via iPhone, iPad or any tablets great for the price. I have also found customer service to be very helpful. They quickly sorted out my initial setup problems and I have had trouble free coverage since.

John Pandjak Royersford, PA

I would have given them a ZERO when I discovered the system I have was not compatible with IOS11 on my iPhone. I finally called TechSupport and with in a few minutes I had an answer for a different client app for my phone (ASEE+). A minute or two after downloading the App my cameras were again viewable on my iPhone. Now they get and deserve a 10+.

Chickasaw Enid, OK

We paid 400 bucks on 4 cameras. One came out of the box not working. Customer service dropped the ball and didn't send us the authorization number which was needed for replacement. The tech went into the camera to verify it was not working. A month later 2 more quit. One was our fault. It was unplugged but the tech who I spoke with about sending the authorization number was so busy trying to show he was smarter than me, never took the time to troubleshoot these cameras even though I requested it. He said send all of them in which would have resulted in the loss of 2 cameras because they had no authorization number. The next day I called yet again. This tech spoke better English and walked me through different steps. That is when I discovered the camera at the barn had been accidentally unplugged while installing a cattle fence. If the tech had not had such a bad attitude this would have been discovered previously. The cameras work, seems like, when they feel like it. They are 4 months old and will record in fast forward giving less than one second of video. The video recording when recorded at the correct speed will show up zoomed all the way in. You have to zoom all the way back out and by then have missed the recording and have to do it all over again. You cannot view these cameras with Windows or Mac. This is a personal preference because the images are MUCH larger and not everyone uses their smart phone for internet use. The app...Ah yes. That NON piece of software Swann has that doesn't work. That should be Swann's TITANIC disgrace but they appear to not notice it is utter garbage. A picture on a cell phone with "buttons" to push that do nothing. Even tech support tells you to go outside, climb up your ladder and push the manual button on your camera, and not hit reset on your app because...well because it silently laughs at you. These devices worked beautifully for the first month except the one of course. The night vision is terrific. There are several settings so the camera does not pick up, let's say, ants walking in the grass but the cameras don't know any better and still record ants walking in the grass...at fast forward, in less than a second. That means you never see the ants. For those who don't get sarcasm, these cameras pick up every single car that goes by even if they are set on low and aren't aimed directly at them. It would be okay if the app worked and the low setting "button" worked but it doesn't matter low, medium, or high. The app is supposed to work with all 4 cameras but it seems recordings get skipped (such as 2 cars going by) if one or two cameras catch the first car the second car is not caught and recorded also. I have had people on bicycles on the sidewalk get missed by this. I also didn't catch who busted out my car window. I have used Swann in the past and up to now, but all it takes is one nightmare of an experience that never seems to end to make sure I never make the same mistake twice. My breaking point was the tech who was likely in or from India who spoke to me as if I were below him. That was just too much. Even if Swann refunded my money I will never choose them again. If they refunded my money and let me keep the cameras I wouldn't buy them again. However I would give them two stars instead of one.

linda gallmeyer Buffalo, NY

I have the indoor 2 pack camera. camera is ok after months of back and forth with swann. I was using two camera's and unpluged one for a few weeks, well, swann did a update and now the camera that was not plugged in will not work. called swann, cannot find the receipt but i have the packing slip with date. Swann will not accept it so I am out of luck. I will never purchase another swann product or recommend them.

Paul Tampa, FL

I'm delighted to see the numerous frustrations with Swann support. Me too, and I have a story that should shock you. I cannot record on my Swann system. Twice the local sheriff's office rang my bell asking to see footage that would help them with what they were called about, and twice I told them I have a Swann system and Swann does not have the passwords for their equipment, based on my experience. You see, shortly after I installed the cable-based system (I was in tech) I realized I needed a password to record using the cameras. I called Swann several times (four times) asking for it. Someone in tech support told me they do not have passwords for their DVR decks. I was in tech, and cannot believe that a tech company would not have a database matching serial numbers with passwords. It shouldn't be. So I'll send communication to Swann's executives asking for the password. If that fails, I'll tell their competition about this and let the local law enforcement know that Swann products are not reliable for crime prevention and security. It's unfortunate, I like the products but the money they're spending in tech support is wasted. Happy New Year.

Mike

I cant believe the reviews here. I went from a Arlo V1 to this and they have been great. Im using the 1080p wifi ones with iphone. Notifications have been instant. A great system for the price point!

Mickey Ballard

It's a very good security camera for the price. I didn't think I needed one but the second day I caught a prowler with the video footage identifying him wasn't no problem.just wish the night vision was a little clearer but it's a ex excellent camera

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

we just moved into a new house and had looked for weeks for a good security camera company. swann had the best reviews and let me just say they did not disappoint. we were so pleased with the service and quality of the product

Bob Jensen Folsom, CA

Dvr is great, cameras are good, app is HORRIBLE. Will not ever connect to 4 different dvrs at 4 different locations. The software when I log into the DVR from internet explorer does work. Just useless on my phone. Would not recommend if you need to use your phone to view but if you are ok with using your PC you will be fine for remote viewing as long as you have internet explorer. Will not work with any other browser.

Shane Stanford Athelstone, SA

Purchased and installed, instant issues, audio never worked, video recording was delayed and jittery. Wouldn't motion pick up as much as older model did, even with there make believe fancy body heat and motion detections, we'd miss people parking a car in our driveway, and walking accross our drive, but pick them up in the last few seconds walking to our door. Changed every setting possible with no fix. Contacted swann tech support who advised me my cameras don't have audio, even though I purchased them from swann with "audio" being in advert. Tech support then needed a video of the faulty recording, in which I made and never got any replies after that. Opened a PayPal dispute which they ignored, opened an ebay dispute since I purchased through swann ebay, got advised they'll refund... Returned camera setup in a different box as I didn't keep the original box as I never intended returning, packaged and cushioned using 30+ new hygienic and very soft nappies as packaging as it was the softest thing I had. They then opened a dispute with ebay stating I returned a severely damaged unit, not in original packaging and not in a resellable condition, not knowing I took plenty of photos. How they can just resell a faulty item I don't know. So, finale, disgusting after sales service from swann, no customer support and final straw trying to get out of refund by stating damage. PayPal refunded. Do not go swann.

Cloggie

Almost 4 months ago I bought a Swann NVR16-8580 with 2 NHD-885 cameras which are PoE. I'm on a tight budget and had intended to expand the coverage with more cameras at a later date. Almost immediately after installing the first two cameras I noticed the system was frequently shutting down and starting up again. That is, it's not rebooting, it's actually just like it loses power then recovers and starts up again. On some days this has occurred 19 times, 19 times on 1 day! I contacted Swann support and they told me to upgrade the firmware of the NVR. This didn't work so I called them again, now they tell me to upgrade the camera firmware. I have tried firmware upgrades of both the NVR and the cameras. Through diagnosis I have narrowed the fault down to one of the cameras, when this camera is disconnected the system will work fine. I have tried running a different PoE network cable to this camera but the fault still occurs. Now, Swann want me to pull the camera down and mount it in a different location. I've been trying to fix this issue for three months now to no avail. Every time I call Swann they just tell me to try things which I've already tried. I also have a stand alone wifi camera installed on my premises which has it's own dedicated power supply and Swann even tried telling me to disconnect it because it may be drawing too much current from the Swann system! Even after explaining that this wifi camera is not physically connected the Swann NVR, that it has it's own power supply, they still insisted it could be the fault! Three phone calls ago they promised if the fault occurs again they will initiate a warranty claim but now they're dodging that responsibility and blaming the fault on my household electricity wiring. Had I known that Swann would be such a poor company to deal with when it comes to warranty I would never have bought their product. My next step now, sell this system and buy a different brand.

the infamous x Plattsburgh, NY

I gave this company one star.... and that was being generous. I purchased this system in January, 2019, and it was installed in late May/early June of the same year. At first it worked fine. The picture was clear, color was good. I loved being able to freeze frames, review events, and access when I was away from home. Then, in late October, one of the cameras stopped working. The connection power from the outlet to the camera was checked. The system was reset and rebooted. The camera was unplugged from one power source and plugged into another. Nothing. No infrared lights showing on the offending camera. Finally, it was time to contact Swann's. I don't do well with instruction over the phone, as I'm a bit technologically challenged, and better understand things in writing. I don't have an hour or so a day to spend on the phone, as I babysit. Also, although I don't consider myself elderly, I do have osteoporosis, and can't be climbing ladders to reach the camera or at least one of the connections. Therefore, I was requesting instruction over email. My first email went unanswered. So, I contacted the seller of the system. He was also in contact with someone at Swann in coordination with myself. After a second email, they finally answered, asking me all the questions that I answered in the first, to which I responded. After a 3rd email, once again asking me questions that had already gotten answered, I started getting upset. It was obvious I was getting a runaround. Their conclusion was that I would have to spend time on the phone with their techs. I just don't have time for that. While I'm doing that, I would have a couple of children taking over the house. Unfortunately, the seller of this product got the same answer from them. All I wanted was a camera to replace the broken one (which was/is obviously still under warranty. If this company is willing to lose one or more customers over a camera which probably costs them $10 to $15, so be it. I'm sick of being a puppet for them. Take my advice, either buy a system that's maintained by a company that cares. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a bunch of "dummy" cameras hanging on your house.

Jon Studio City, CA

The Swann cameras and DVR/NVR systems are great. But if you have any warranty issues -- you're dead out of luck. I purchased a 16 camera NVR system. All worked except one camera. Support called me back three times with different techs to try and figure out the issue. I told them the camera was just defective. They wouldn't accept that. After six hours and three technicians they finally accepted the camera was defective. A week later I get an email to send back the defective camera and pay the shipping -- so they can attempt to fix it! Not replace it, but try and fix a two week old camera? And by the way you will not get a technician from North America. There is no one to talk to or in charge in the U.S. or Canada. The company is too big and they apparently don't like dealing with customers after they purchase their products. I am on hold again with the service department for almost two hours now.

Necro Norfolk, VA

Mine worked ok for about a month, then it went "offline" by itself when I was gone on a two week out of town for work. Came home and reset it, repaired it, got it all back up and running, and a few weeks later it goes "offline" again. I reset it, tried to repair it, and it will not recognise my Wi-fi anymore... I've reset my wifi router about 10 times, and I even went out and bought a new phone because my old Galaxy S5 was kind of old, and I thought that might have been the problem. But now I have a new Galaxy Note 10+ and the camera still won't finish paring. It will go to the step where it see's that there are wi-fi networks available, but it won't list them or connect to any of them. I see negative reviews of this system all over the internet. Swann should issue a recall or replace everyones camera with one that actually works. I can't believe they would release such an unbaked product out into the market. I will never waste my money on anything made by Swann again.

Paul

Unfortunately Swann systems suffer from a huge security flaw as they write your UID, username and password in a plain text file on your hard drive. Depending on which version of the software you use this information is either in your install directory or on your d:\ drive, if you have one. We have two different systems, installed at 2 different premises, using different versions of software. Fresh installs to test the flaw did the same each time. Swann have been aware of the situation for a long time but are doing nothing to fix it or raise awareness so that existing users can take steps to rectify the situation and secure their system.

Nardia

Waste of time and money 1st week was amazing, worked really well and was perfect as match my security system. BUT then the issues started. It stopped sending pictures then stopped ringing all together!!! So I took it down to recharge, now it wont even connect!!! After multiple emails and phone calls I am left with an expensive lump of plastic!! Customer service is appalling after email correspondence they palmed me off to their call centre only to have them go through the exact same ‘trouble shooting’ process. I was then told I would have to have an Australian customer service person call me (I am STILL waiting) I did express how important it was as we were going over seas and that was one of the main reasons we brought that particular door bell. When I received no call after 2 weeks I again called them, only to be told ‘someone’ would call me back. Alas no phone call. Once I returned from over seas I again followed up with a phone call and emails and STILL 3 weeks later only the standard ‘someone will be in contact’ Swann are now refusing to upload my review as it apparently doesn’t meet their ‘website guidelines’. Very convenient!!

David Panama City, FL

I bought a top Swann system, and on the "day of delivery" the control box was damaged. The delivery box wasn't so it couldn't have been on delivery. I contacted Swann representatives just hours after delivery who gave me the run around, advised they would have to get back to me, and but instead I had to get with them to get them to comply. I purchased the system straight from Swann (They couldn't even confirm it at first) so no questions on it's condition, or warranty would result. After finally getting somebody to acknowledge I had a damaged box I was advised I had to send it in for repair (Yes repair on a unused brand new box),. This was versus just sending me a new one, and getting the old box back. I then had to contact them for postage after they just sent me a confirmation number. They said they forgot to send it. You then have to take it to UPS on your own time for shipping. I waited some time after shipping it off, and never got any notification that they got it. I called and they said they got it, and it was already shipped out, and emailed me the tracking number. The tracking number was wrong I found out when the box was sent to another state. UPS confirmed I was given the number and indicated I was given the wrong number. While waiting for a bought and paid for new system to be repaired the system went on sale twice up to $300 off what I paid. I asked the representative about it as they still had the system box I never used, and was told she couldn't give it to me. After over a month I finally received a system box that I have to see if it works. This system was for new construction as I advised the representatives which means it was needed when it was bought. They didn't appear to care, and now I will have a harder time with install as the house now has drywall up. This company has the worst customer relations, ability to confirm order that were purchased straight through them, lacks consideration or concern for others, and needs some restructuring. It's like they say when you buy a car you don't just buy a car you buy the dealership. I will never buy from this manufacture again as the system might end up being good, but overall it can't overcome this trouble.

Steve Seneca, IL

I've installed a number of these systems including one at home. They are a great value and provide great video. The ability to view via computer or phone is fantastic.

AN Orlando, FL

The worse customer service I have ever experienced in my life. They are selling systems that cost several hundred dollars, but they don't provide the kind of service the customer is entitled to after buying their products. I bought a brand new system and 1 of their cameras was absolutely defective, dead. I tried email and a Rep called Charles would email back every 3-4 days. He finally tells me to call via phone for support, but they were worse. They simply did not want to accept that the camera was defective made in China. When they finally realize nothing they were telling me was working, they said they would replace the camera. But I would have to mail it back at my cost. Now this is a system with a 18 month warranty and only 2 months old. A reputable company stands behind their product and gives you a pre-paid mailing label. I will NEVER buy anything from Swann, cause it was and still is a huge disappointment.

Dee Holt

I purchased a Swann 2k series 4 camera 1080 P. It has been the worst purchase of my life. After paying electricians over $500 to install the system I was out a thousand dollars. By the time I organised electricians and delivery being 10 days in-transit, at least 3 weeks had gone by. The system is extremely complicated and would not accept my email among other issues and it took a few more weeks for me to figure out that it didn't work like had been promised. The cameras only recorded people moving once they were 6 feet from the camera, and the only thing they would pick up in the distance were 2 or 3 cars a day that drove by my place, when over 100 cars drive by my place a day. And they picked up nothing in my yard or driveway. At 8 weeks they stopped working completely and Swann would not give me a refund as it was over 30 days. Their corporate office wouldn't even give me a reply after that about who would pay for the second install, and why did the cameras not have the range or ability to pick up anything past 6 feet? My 7 foot ladder was stolen during this time and my son's car was broken in to as well. I spent an entire onerous day ( up and down ladders, taking photos of every plug, etc.) with their tech team to confirm to them that the system was indeed not working, and they still would not honor their warranty. Dee Holt

Avoid Swan Products Alameda, CA

This was a complete waste of time and money. I got the two pack, both camera's came on, I made sure to charge them fully before placing them. That is as far as I got, for two days now I've tried to pair the camera to my iphone for viewing, for two days now the only message I get is 'camera offline'. I have them both less than a foot from the router and the wireless signal is good: DOWNLOAD Mbps 71.66 and UPLOAD Mbps 5.87 I work with technology so I know what to look for and how to troubleshoot in proper sequence. Sometimes it's user error, sometimes it's the device that is deficient. In this case, it is a poorly made device. I bought these a while ago and unfortunately can no longer return them because of that. Hopefully, this review saves someone from wasting both their time and money on this garbage.

Gordon Hennings Richmond, VA

Save you money. A total loss of $300 spent for this piece of junk made in China. I'm a 40 year electrical engineering veteran in the electronics manufacturing industry so I can lend some credibility to this review. I purchased the NVR 490H two camera system two months ago and I am still having nothing but headaches getting it set up, even with telephone and online help from Swann's third world, english limited (located in India?), tech support people. Swann's downloadable software Apps are full of bugs making wifi connections unstable at best. I discovered after buying the system that the two-way audio only works if you are using the system with one of the Apps intended for use with an Android or IoS cell phone or tablet. It does NOT work with SwannView Link on your desktop Windows PC. One of the two cameras just lost its ability to scan and synchronize to the NVR. The NVR simply no longer recognizes the camera. It's a dead camera now. Don't be fooled by all the fake 5 Star reviews your see on the company's own web site. Look elsewhere and decide for yourself.

Gless

Bought Swann NVR 8580 with 2TB storage and 6 x 4k cameras. It has been nothing but problems from the moment received. Audio recording generates so much noise you can hardly hear anyone speaking near the camera for the static noise. You can hear an aeroplane, a siren or a motorcycle hammering down the road - rather hear the conversation near the camera though! Copying the footage into MP4 or AVI and it NOT copies the audio. I phoned support and they said give the police (the investigating officers receiving the footage) the software so they can see/hear the footage. The police are such a regulated organisation, giving them software to install is impossible. How stupid to even suggest it in the first place. The cameras are flipping the images so it records upside down even after the configurations are done. They say I do not qualify for a refund because it it out of the 30-days warranty - I have just checked with trading standards, UK and EU law and because the product is faulty I SHOULD get a refund. Thank god for that - HIKVISION CCTV Equipment here I come!!! Today, Thursday, 1 November 2018, Swann 2nd line support remote controlled into my PC and installed VLC without permission, when I realised what was going on they stopped the installation. Then stalemate because it is THERE RECOMMENDED software so unless I let them install VLC Player we cannot move forward and whether it is working or not I'll not get a refund anyway. My sincere advice, I know you wont take it, but here it is for what it is worth and such that it is, DON'T BUY SWANN, BUY HIKVISION instead. I am probably not going to get my money back so I am going to buy Hikvision anyway because it is better and comes highly recommended by people in the CCTV industry. I will give the Swann 4K CCTV RUBBISH for the kids to play with, it is nothing more than a children's toy so the kids can put it in their toy box. BTW, Swann NVR 8580 is so rubbish. I can say this because it come with 2TB or storage for 8 cameras and each camera needs 6TB or storage for 4K resolution. What does that tell you, they cannot even design their own products. All in all, I am having a bad day with this!

Peter Higgs

I bought a NVR8 7082 in mid 2016 and signalled it in late that year. I have always found the remote reviewing software difficult but put it down to lack of familiarity. This week I needed to get some capture video for real. Big mistake. Connecting a screen and trying to control via mouse wont work anymore. And this current version of Swannview Link for Mac OSX, and all previous versions I have tried are useless and don't provide even the most basic functionality for reviewing captured video. There are no speed controls, only the first searched date/camera shows anything, the downloads say they download but don't, and often actually delete the folder specified for downloading - too bad if that was your desktop or documents folder. This is the most useless software/hardware I have purchase for the past 30 years. I am so sorry I didn't pay a bit more and buy HIKvision. Swann should be ashamed to market the hardware if they aren't prepared to support the software. What good is an NVR if you can't search, fast forward. review and download video. Shame

[email protected] Lake Oswego, OR

I bought two surveillance systems by Swann. I bought them for two reasons. Firstly, they are cheap. Secondly, they have long warranty – 18 months. Apparently, I made a terrible choice. Six months after installation, the cameras started going bad, one after another. Two of the cameras got moisture in them. The images were either foggy, snowy, or discolored. Fortunately, I thought the warranty would cover those poor quality cameras. However, the process to get those cameras replaced was very time consuming and frustrating. I finally got them replaced a few months ago. Now, more cameras are doing the same thing again. Moisture got into two of the cameras. The third one turned black, and fourth one shows double image. The cameras are still under warranty. However, they won’t replace them for me. In comparison, my Q-see system has been running for more than five years. They are still working well. DL Oregon, USA

Ian

Bought 8 ch swann system worked until 1 month out of warranty. Then could not buy a dvr from them to replace on its own. Note my system out so no security still. So ended up purchasing one from swann usa and when finally arrived sent with wrong power pack but ok used my old one. The unit just flickers on and off. Used swann au who tried to fix. Got loaded once all cameras fuzzy and pixilised then lost and system tries to reboot but unsuccessfully while still flickering. Absolutely useless. Told by tech try getting an old vga monitor see if works. So rang back head office and cant supply dvr on own will look at for $85 fee to give quote on repair. What a let down and feel rip off when their product fails and I'm left with no security while being stuffed around. Now waiting on usa to send return form and then get another. This taking months without security. Swann back up service useless dont buy.

Spence abear Rathdrum, ID

I have used many many swann products over the years while in the military for home protection/security , recently I purchased three high definition cameras and tried to get them hooked up they were not working properly so I called customer support to find out that they will not even work anymore and not because they’re broken but because they should not of sold them because the software is not offered anymore so I have $300 in 3 cameras that are no good and Swann is just running me in circles and not making it right telling me there’s nothing they will do The lady I spoke with was very disrespectful and when I asked to speak with a manager she told me there were no managers or supervisors nor was there anyone else I could speak with which is a blatant lie and totally unprofessional and disrespectful, and if I wanted to speak with someone else that I could hang up and call back and someone else would answer . I can definitely say because of how the situation was handled I will never be a swann customer again nor will anyone in my family we are all switching to another company this week If they cannot be professional and make this right , to me it’s really simple these cameras were still on the market even though they’re unable to be used because of software and they will do nothing to make it right how my supposed to trust the security of my entire house and everything I own and the safety of my wife with this company if they can’t even make something this small right

Mr Dissapointed Customer

As a concerned customer I contacted Swann Tech to ask about reason for their latest firmware update and explained that I was worried that their camera cloud services could have been compromised triggering the urgent update. Not only dud I not get a response but my own personal cameras are not not working. I suspect that 'swanntech' have done someting to cause them to fail. Like many others, I have found that this company is impossible to work with, they have no idea what customer service is or the value of our custom. I am removing their products from all of my global sites and my customer sites. Customer Security is a commodity that cannot be underestimated. My recommendation to anyone considering using their products is DON'T. Go elsewhere.

Trevor

Although Swann products are competitively priced, with a comprehensive range please take heed of my and many others experience of Customer care, which is anything but!! The signs of a quality product is also judged by the Aftersales Care. When I found one of my cameras was letting water in I contacted Customer Care to arrange a replacement. Even though I contacted the UK number I was immediately transferred to a foreign call centre and had difficulty understanding his English. I was told that the camera wouldn’t be replaced if subjected to adverse weather conditions, to which I replied that its outdoor camera and we don’t have extreme weather in UK and was sheltered on 3 sides anyway! To justify my claim I had to produce photos of its location, take a photo of the camera even though I provided the serial number and proof of purchase!! Once I had satisfied their requests I then had to pay for its return, only for them to return the wrong camera and then to be told they don’t replace with a new camera too! After a long trail of communications it took over 2 months to replace the faulty camera, leaving the security of my property vulnerable in the meantime!! You have been warned and do hope you manage to take notice before purchasing their products!

Mark Thorpe

We are Electrical Contractors based in the UK, and have had to deal with Swan Security Systems. We do not sell CCTV, so we have no other reason for writing this review than to warn UK customers from buying any Swan Security Product sold in your local electrical store like Maplins. We have fitted three systems and every one of them have failed in a short period of time. They are only Guaranteed for 1 Year, in which you can ring technical services who just try to get you off the phone by asking you to complete acts which are impossible. They also have no customer services in the UK and no complaints system. I know the systems are cheap, but they do not last and the In fared Lights burn out causing the cameras to lock onto a black screen. Maplins will replace if it goes wrong within a year, but we have had to return so many cameras we have lost count. Please be warned this is not a reputable company and after the warranty period their reply is Tuff. Regards, Managing Director Newton Electrical Contractors

Jocelyn C Bellerose, NY

i've never experienced such terrible customer service. i work in a call center and i would never treat my accounts the way this agent treated my parents and i. Not only did this agent purposely disconnect the call he also made rude comments the entire time and made it blatantly clear he did not want to help. on top of that on numerous occasions he insulted my other intelligence. My parents dropped hundreds of dollars on this system for a reason and we expect better service than what we received. Shame on this company for hiring such rude simple minded people. I hope you guys record your calls and do quality assurance. i would rate his service as extremely poor. Again being that i work in a call center i get things are frustrating and if that was the case he should've transferred the call to an agent who was not only able but more importantly willing to help.

Paul Simpson

When we first purchased the camera kit, the equipment worked perfectly after being installed by an electrician. The screen didn't show any picture after several months later so we called in another electrician to investigate as this is out of our expertise. He informed us that the cameras are fine but not the DVR unit. I called the toll free support line (1300 138 324) where we had difficulty understanding what the lady wanted us to read out. We couldn't understand what she meant by "read the power output number from the power adaptor”. My wife hung up in frustration because the lady couldn't offer an alternative solution over the phone. About 2 months later I tried to see if I had better luck with the Phillipino lady on the other end. We reached the part where she wanted me to read the power output number from the power adaptor. I did that but then she wanted me to swap the power adaptors of the cameras & the DVR unit around. I didn't feel comfortable doing this so I refused but she kept insisting that I proceed as instructed otherwise she couldn't help me troubleshoot!?? The customer should not have to be a make shift electrician or a technical person especially when it comes to dealing with electrical components! I asked her if she can arrange for a technical person to visit me but instead she suggested that I look for a technical person in my local area to help! I asked her if Swann will pay for his services. She didn't say anything!

nosmadac Memphis, TN

After 5 months 3 of my cameras crapped out and had terrible picture. The good news is they were warrenteed. bad news is it took me well over 1 1/2 hours to get this resolved. Their customer service i greatly lacking in efficiency. I've had to call about 3-4 times and every time i'm on hold for at least 30-45 min. Their shipping of the product is terrible. The order for the replacements was on 9/21, the order didn't ship until 9/30 with a delivery date of 10/7. 18 days to process and deliver? It was the same when i bought my system. It took them over 2 weeks to get it. This is beyond horrible in todays standards.

Andrew Myers

Had a customer with a stolen credit card in my shop. After he left I went to look for his image on my 3 month old Swann 720p system. The camera had stopped working, couldn't believe it. So contacted Swann's 24/7 support by email. 1 week later no response so sent another. 1 week later still no response. So, tried UK telephone where there is constantly a message saying 'temporarily out of service, try later'. So emailed company's general enquiries, where guess what, your email bounces straight back from '[email protected]' 24/7 support? This must be the joke of the decade. FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT BUY SWANN. THEIR PRODUCTS FAIL AND THE AFTER SALES SERVICE WILL DRIVE YOU TO THE POINT OF WRITING REVIEWS LIKE THIS - WOW IT IS SO DAMN IRRITATING.

Not happy!

I have bought a Swann camera system from Costco, it was a 4 pack with DVR. I had one camera that was non functioning, i contacted Swann and was given a claim number. I then was told i would have to pay for the shipping on a warranty claim for one of the cameras that has never been installed yet does not function? I complained to Swann about this and was told they would cover all cost if i provided a Costco receipt, which I did! Over a week later i inquired to as why I have not received a response to there request (shipping info or anything i need to do to have it repaired)......and still NOTHING....i request again....and nothing? I do like there product but I am real dissapointed with my customer service response, or lack of...

TP Kangaroo Point, QLD

Very Disapointed with my product. I bought 4 of the wireless cameras and they don't even connect, I wouldn't buy this ever again, I don't understand how you can get away with this. Ive purchased cameras at $40 each since and they work better than my Swann ones. hahaha. SWANN YOUR A JOKE. Ive told numerous people about this and have actually showed them person. They end up buying the cheaper ones and couldn't be happier. Swann you suck. Yours sincerely Tommy Philp ,

Steve Crowe

Would give zero stars if I could. Shocking service. DVR has packed up, emailed, one response asking for model number, then nothing. Several emails later, still no reply. Don’t bother with this system and buy elsewhere is my recommendation. I ended up binning the Swann system and replacing it with two Ring Floodlight Cams and can confirm that these are an INFINITELY better system.

BAW

I purchase a system a few months ago with cameras, alarm remotes and motion sensors. I have had nothing problems from the first day where not all the products arrived. Daily false alarms. Remote camera view doesn't work. Tech support is terrible, weeks of back and forth with no resolution as they can't figure out what the problem is. Today I got over 40 false motion sensor alarms. Camera motion sensor goes off over changes in natural light. Avoid their products as they will only create stress.

T.jimmieson

Swann australia after sales service is non existant.have a faulty bullet camera purchased from swann in may 2019. Have sent 7 emails asking for adress to send it.rang their tech help 8 times and get the same respnse,have you done this etc etc,have done everything they say 8 times to no avail.they just will not give an adress.just fobbing me off so as i give up.well it worked i have given up and now will tell the world what swanns idea of help is.

Bertha West Covina, CA

We bought the eight camera security unit about four months ago and it was installed about three months ago , Per month ago one of the camera stopped working so I contacted Swan a couple of times customer service and they can’t referring me to technical support and we keep continue to go back-and-forth with no resolution over one non-functioning camera