Safeco Insurance Logo

Safeco Insurance

Is This Your Business?
LAST UPDATED: August 2nd, 2022

Safeco Insurance offers competitive home insurance coverage and helpful discounts. Its policies are issued by several different insurance carriers, each of which have received high financial strength ratings. Safeco Insurance stands out for the availability of services in Spanish.

Read Safeco Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Competitive Coverage
  • Helpful Discounts
  • Useful Mobile App
  • Assistance in Spanish

Competitive Coverage

Through Safeco, you can find the essential coverage options for the home insurance industry:

• Personal property
  • Liability
  • Dwelling
  • Itemized coverage for expensive property

You can also extend your dwelling coverage limits and cover your property at replacement cost.

Beyond the essentials, you can add the following coverage to your policy:

• Equipment breakdown
  • Service line
  • Identity theft assistance

These additional offerings are fairly common for home insurance providers, so the offerings make Safeco competitive.

Helpful Discounts

You can benefit from discounts on your home insurance rate through Safeco. The Safeco Package bundles home and auto insurance at a discounted rate. You can also find discounts for installing safety devices like burglar alarms or sprinkler systems, having a newer home, getting a quote early, and purchasing umbrella insurance.

Most insurers offer similar discounts, so Safeco stays competitive with its savings opportunities.

Useful Mobile App

Safeco offers policyholders a helpful mobile app that can be used to manage your policy, pay bills, file claims, access documents, and reach your insurance agent. The app uses a biometric login and is available in Google Play and the App Store.

Assistance in Spanish

Safeco offers its services in English and Spanish. This bilingual assistance makes the company stand out from others and is advantageous for Spanish-speakers.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Difficult to Find Financial Strength Ratings

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many Safeco reviews, so conclusions on customer satisfaction are not available.

Difficult to Find Financial Strength Ratings

When you buy home insurance through Safeco, your policy will be underwritten by one of the insurers it works with. Financial strength ratings for these insurers are difficult to find on Safeco's website.

However, these insurers are part of the Liberty Mutual Group and additional research from Liberty Mutual's site show that the insurers Safeco works with have received high financial strength ratings.

Financial strength ratings indicate an insurer's financial stability and ability to make claims payments, so high ratings are important to look for.

The Bottom Line

Although more customer insight would be beneficial, Safeco Insurance works with financially reliable insurers and offers competitive coverage and discounts. These features make Safeco worth considering.

The company stands out because its services are also available in Spanish, which is particularly helpful for Spanish-speakers.

View Best Home Insurance Companies

Fr. Ron Nuzzi Louisville, KY

So far so good. Great rates, and their auto policy issues refunds for safe driving with an app on your phone. I received $80 rebate so far, just for safe driving ( they monitor speeds, ease of stops, and late night driving.).

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

I had Safeco for about 10 years before I switched to a lower priced company. They were competitively priced, but not the lowest. I only filed one claim with Safeco, which was to replace my fence when the wind damaged it. I was warned this could cause them to deny renewing my policy (they didn't). It took about 2 months to get the money, so I paid to replace the fencing out of my own pocket with my neighbor, who got his money in a few days for his half of the cost. Replacing the fence was a priority as I have dogs and a swimming pool. This was the primary cause of my looking for another company.

David Patten Huntsville, AL

This is our first year with this company. Our previous insurance company doubled our rates for no apparent reason forces us to shop for new coverage. We are very pleased with Safeco.

gricel valdez AZ

The pricing for Safeco was acceptable. It was a little cheaper than my other company when I added my car insurance. When the housing market changed the value of my house rose considerably and my policy increased. I expect as much. The problem was no one notified me of the adjustment and I found out when I almost bounced a check because of autopsy. Safeco says I was notified by mail and that my agent should have notified me about the changes. The only problem is my agent left Safeco and now I'm anyone's problem. Six months and still no agent!

Daniel Fowler

Safeco was my insurance company for my RV. Very good, never had any issues. However, over time, rates keep going up. So far up I had to move on to another insurance company.

Linda Jensen Newberg, OR

We've been with Safeco for about 8 years. Have never had to file a claim on our homeowners policy. But last year our back yard flooded, and we had water in the crawl space. We checked with our insurance - not covered. We've been home owners for over 25 years and never have made a claim. What good is insurance if they can't help you when something does happen?