American Family Logo

American Family

6.3

LAST UPDATED: November 17th, 2022

Although the insurance provider's origins go back further, American Family Insurance started offering home insurance in 1958. The insurance company has competitive homeowners insurance coverage options and discounts. It has received high financial strength ratings, which make it a reliable choice.

American Family Insurance focuses on helping its clients live the American Dream by providing insurance policies to protect their family's finances and property.

Read American Family Homeowners Insurance Reviews

The Good

• High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Competitive Coverage
  • Matching Siding Coverage
  • Equipment Breakdown Coverage
  • Savings Opportunities
  • Useful App

High Financial Strength Ratings

American Family Insurance has received high financial strength ratings, which means the insurer is financially stable and likely able to meet its claims obligations.

Choosing a company with high financial strength ratings is important when buying insurance, and American Family Insurance's ratings make its home insurance products worth exploring further.

Competitive Coverage

American Family Insurance offers typical home insurance coverage, including dwelling, personal belongings, loss of use, and liability insurance.

You can add sump pump failure and water backup, identity theft, and credit monitoring coverage. These optional coverages are common for the industry.

Matching Siding Coverage

American Family Insurance stands out from other insurers with its matching siding coverage. This optional feature offers an additional payout to replace siding so your home's siding matches if part of your siding needs replacing as part of a covered loss.

Equipment Breakdown Coverage

American Family Insurance's equipment breakdown coverage is also uncommon for the home insurance industry. With this coverage, you can make a claim if covered appliances breakdown.

Savings Opportunities

You may be able to save on your homeowners insurance policy because American Family Insurance offers several discounts on its policies:

• Multi-policy — discount for bundling home, auto, and life insurance
  • Security features — discount for having safety features in home
  • Age of home — discount based on how old your home is; newer homes have a higher discount
  • Renovated home — discounts for having recently renovated features
  • Payments — discounts for setting up autopay, paying in full, and going paperless
  • Loyalty — discount for being an American Family Insurance policy for over one year

Similar discounts on insurance rates can be found through other home insurers.

However, American Family Insurance offers a generational discount that is uncommon. This discount lowers your premium rate if you are between 18 and 30 years old and your parents have an active home or auto insurance policy.

This discount makes it advantageous to choose American Family Insurance if your parents are current policyholders.

Useful App

Policyholders can manage their policy through the MyAmFam App from making premium payments to filing claims. The app is available through Google Play and the AppStore.

Apps for policy management are becoming more common for insurers. It's nice that American Family Insurance's app is available for both Android and Apple devices.

Available Customer Service

When working with American Family Insurance, you can either get an online quote or work with an American Family advisor. This option gives you the flexibility to work with the company how you prefer.

American Family Insurance also offers a 24/7 claims service, which makes claims filing convenient.

The Bad

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many American Family Insurance reviews, which makes it difficult to gauge customer satisfaction. More customer reviews are necessary before conclusion can be drawn about the American Family Insurance customer experience.

The Bottom Line

Although more information on the customer experience is necessary for a full recommendation, American Family Insurance's home insurance options are worth exploring further. The insurance carrier is financially reliable and offers competitive coverage.

An American Family Insurance product may be an especially good fit if you're interested in matching siding or equipment breakdown coverage, since these offerings are not common for the industry.

You may also find American Family Insurance a good fit if you're young and your parents have an American Family Insurance home or auto policy, you may be eligible for an additional discount not commonly offered.

Call our recommended rep over at American Family below.

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

I love American Family Insurance. They are fast with claims and friendly in the office. They offer a wide variety of coverages and lots of discounts! I have been a customer for over 10 years! I don't feel like my prices go up significantly from year to year. Even though they are a large corporation, you don't feel that way as a customer. However, you get the fast, convenient service of a large corporation!

Palavalli Gupta Rancho Cordova, CA

(1) Live chat service was helpful. (2) Premium prices offered were comparatively better than my previous home insurance renewal offer.

Shalon Johnson Minneapolis, MN

I had American Family insurance back in 2015 due to my apartment requiring insurance and I didn't have any issues. The price was very affordable and I felt I knew exactly what I was paying for. I would highly recommend the company due to not having any issues when I was utilizing them as insurance.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I have had American Family for my home and auto insurance for over 30 yrs and they have been amazing always there when I have needed them. The claim process is easy and everyone I have dealt with is very professional and knowledgeable. My agent Glen S is the best and has been there for us thru all of it!! I have had all my friends and family switch to American Family.

Stephanie Flood IL

Always have loved American Family for all our insurance needs. They are very quick to respond and very professional and honest

L Hill

I am so pleased with American Family for our home insurance needs. Everything about the business is professional astute caring and knowledgeable. Our agent is dedicated an completely looked out for our best interests for a plan that was affordable and very helpful.

Carla Hess Roseburg, OR

They are extremely responsive and it's easy to get hold of a real human being. I saved a significant amount of money when I switched my auto insurance to them. When there were fires in my area, THEY called me to see if I was okay or needed help! I now have my home insurance with them as well, and the rates are surprisingly reasonable.

Steven Shimmin Tucson, AZ

Great customer service, they really care about you and treat you like family.. Big Time, American Family. Great rates and fair pricing. Always giving you options and keeping you aware of good things. I like this company and the people I deal with here..

Ryan Glendale, AZ

American Family has been very easy to work with, the agent overseeing our products is very hands on and is always offering ways to expand our services or to add on more to save us much which they did with our automobile coverage. Really glad we are a customer.

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

I was a faithful, loyal customer to American Family Insurance Company for over a decade. Then one day I experienced a loss that I needed to make a claim for. It was a devastating loss that I was completely covered for and I went about fulfilling the requests made to complete my claim for 6 months. I provided them every single tedious bit of information and evidences, receipts, comparative market pricing, depreciation statistics and police reports that they asked me to get for them in order to process my claim. After 6 long months of continually acquiring and providing them with all the stuff they wanted, they made up a weird lie about why they could not cover my loss due to a technicality somewhere that I had never heard of before. It was a devastating loss but to have my insurance company make up some excuse as to why I am not covered was NOT okay. My insurance agent, when he sold me the policy to begin with specifically told me that I am getting the finest coverage available and that my belongings were insured for loss "WHEREVER THEY LAY IN THE WHE WORLD NO MATTER THE REASON FOR LOSS IT WAS COVERED". Ha! So much for that scam! They fully denied me and I got nothing from them except another monthly bill. For what? Why would I pay them any more money when their product is not what it says it will be? They are unconscionable thieves as far as my money is concerned.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

American Family had a great price for bundling my auto and home insurance but it was a complete hassle to set up. In order to buy online I had to speak with an agent as if they wanted to sell me more which was not something I had any interest in.

Cheryl Glodowski Covington, GA

I have used American Family insurance for many years. There are 2 reasons for this. I mainly shop for best price and they deliver by far! The second reason is that they provide great customer service.

Anne JANECZKO Arpin, WI

The AmFam /Jim N agency is on top of it; homeowner coverage is reasonable priced, and valuable to me. With a new solar roof system added to my home, I am covered with the inclusive policy.

Brooke Redburn Nevada, MO

Absolutely wonderful! I’m able to “bunch” up my home insurance AND my car insurance which makes for cheaper rates, which is awesome!

Bess Wilfong St Louis, MO

While the price and customer service is good, I have to say that the coverage they offer contained some surprises.

Debbie Prevo Cincinnati, OH

I’ve been a client for over 25 years. I use them for my life, auto and home . When I had my own business, I used them for that along with my work vehicle’s snd rental property. I love it that they can be reached through texts now

Kent Logan, UT

I use American Family insurance only for homeowner's insurance. I have been satisfied with the rates, although I have not yet had an instance where I needed to make a claim. The policy is clear as to what is covered and the annual bill is itemized so I know what each part of the coverage costs.

Joe O Hoffman Estates, IL

Decent and affordable rates. Had a few instances of poor customer service, but nothing horrible.

Abby Stubbs Brigham City, UT

Of the four different insurance companies I have used, Am Fam is the best so far. It is nice to get a human on the phone when I need to submit a claim or find out the status of things.

Harlan Harper Lee's Summit, MO

Very responsive and friendly. So very helpful over the last 20 years.

Maria West Valley City, UT

Use to have this insurance company when I bought my first house the company was pretty good but the overall service not so much never received a call making sure everything was ok

Megan Weidle Akron, OH

Very affordable and wonderful customer service!