With decades of experience, SelectHealth is committed to providing the highest quality of care to its members.

SelectHealth offers customers a variety of health care plans. Customers can also purchase dental insurance from SelectHealth.

View SelectHealth Reviews

SelectHealth works with Intermountain Healthcare to enhance healthcare value for members in Utah and Idaho. It has received several awards and recognitions for its health plans, caliber, and member satisfaction.

The Good

• Health Insurance Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Health Insurance Plans Offered

SelectHealth has a lot of health insurance plan options to choose from. The health insurance plans are not limited to just one format. SelectHealth offers private health insurance plans and health plans that meet the Affordable Care Act's requirements like covering the essential health benefits, including preventive care. It also offers Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, and dental insurance plans.

SelectHealth even offers short-term health insurance for individuals or families who are in between jobs or simply need temporary coverage.

Health insurance premiums, annual deductible, and out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) for each plan vary based on several factors, including the coverage offered, age of the insured, and number of people insured. Some consumers may qualify for a monthly premium subsidy instituted by the Affordable Care Act.

Provider networks may also vary based on the plan you choose. For example, Preferred Provider Network (PPO) plans cover in- and out-of-network patient care, though at different rates. PPO plan members benefit from greater flexibility when choosing a physician.

Member Resources

The online member portal through SelectHealth is called MyHealth and gives plan enrollees access to so many tools. Through it, you can view your health plan's benefits, limitations, and coverage. You can also read up on your rights and responsibilities as a member and get help finding a primary care physician or specialist and setting up appointments. These services apply to both general practitioners, mental health physicians, and other care providers.

One perk to SelectHealth's claims process is that it is paperless. You won't have to deal with that hassle, and once you file a claim you can track it 24/7 online. SelectHealth has a member services phone number, but members can only contact them during certain business hours with this number.

Unique Features

Like most other health insurance companies, SelectHealth has both a Find a Doctor tool and a Find a Facility tool. On the website, you'll also find simple explanations for each plan and ways to contact the company to find out more (and shop for plans that are specific to you).

The mobile app is also convenient, which actually has several capabilities. On the app, users can view their health plan's benefits and see how much coverage has been used so far. Users can also use the app to find a pharmacy or urgent care, email your ID card information if needed, and even see what the status is on wait times at an Intermountain InstaCare facility.

Member discounts are definitely another advantage at SelectHealth. With a health plan, you could pay less on a gym membership, eyewear, or hearing aids. SelectHealth also has discounts on supplements, alternative medicine, and personal training-items that seem luxurious but could actually have a big positive impact on your health.

Select Heath offers health education to members who want it. Through its additional services, its programs can help get you on the road to stop smoking or to lose weight, for example.

SelectHealth was created and is operated by the well-known Intermountain Healthcare organization. This hospital system was founded in 1975, and along the way SelectHealth was initiated. It has expanded to serve customers through a variety of health plans. Intermountain Healthcare has a great customer service reputation, and this culture extends to its health insurance partner. Together, the two prize high-quality health care services.

Primarily, customers can contact SelectHealth through one of its main phone numbers (including numbers dedicated to member services) or a secure message form. It also offers the opportunity to set up a live chat or schedule a call.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Kilee Wagner from Bountiful, Utah

"We've had select health for years and have been very happy. The EOB's are very easy to read and self explanatory. Customer service is great to answer any questions."

SelectHeath does have a helpful FAQs section, social media profiles, and even a company blog. All of these resources connect them to members and potential customers as well. Once you are a member with SelectHealth, of course, your resources leave little to be desired.

This insurance company has done an excellent job of providing members with almost any tool they would need. These tools help members find health care services by locating primary care doctors or specialists and hospitals. Other tools allow members to view benefits, file a claim, and even find advice for their health.

Get Quote

The Bad

• State Availability
  • Business Hours Only

State Availability

If you're a potential Select Health customer, you'll want to know that the company only provides insurance in Utah and Idaho. If you don't live in these states, you'll need to find another insurer.

Business Hours Only

Customers can only contact Select Health during certain business hours, not 24/7. Even though members can access their online portal 24/7, it would be nice to have the option to contact a company representative, if needed, during the evening or early morning.

The Bottom Line

Medical expenses can be high and difficult to pay for. Having a health insurance plan provides policyholders with access to discounted health care prices and help paying for care. These discounts, deductibles, and limits on out-of-pocket expenses are frequently referred to as health benefits.

The pros heavily outweigh the cons with Select Health. True, its service area is quite small, limited to only two states: Utah and Idaho. Because of this, its customer base and network are much smaller, and SelectHealth insurance policies aren't available to most consumers in the United States.

As long as you live in one of these two states, this insurance company carries the promise of positive customer service, a variety of health plans, and convenient tools. It's easy to explore plans, compare premium costs and deductible amounts.

Once you enroll, SelectHealth makes it easy to find a network doctor with its Find a Doctor tool. Its paperwork is all available online through a member portal.

Considering the good service it offers, SelectHealth is a recommended insurer for health insurance.

Call our recommended rep over at Select Health below.

3.8

Maryayb

April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had coverage for 25 years with select health and have stayed because I love my physician even though premiums are a bit higher

Landon Robison

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had my health insurance through here for a long time and have never had any issues. There have been a couple times where I have to call their helpline and they were very helpful and made it a simple and quick process. They seem genuinely concerned about their customers, which is hard to find in such large companies. I would definitely recommend.

Cheryl

March 4th, 2018 Coeur d'Alene, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am not impressed. Hardly any providers in network in north Idaho. Every claim processed I have to call because there is a problem.

Laurel Vukich

February 24th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had quite a few health insurance carriers before and this one is by far, the worst. They cost a fortune and cover practically nothing, and you get dinged for anything and everything. They don't cover good doctors, which forces you out of network, which of course means you aren't covered. The other day I called Member Advocates for a good Thyroid Specialist, and they referred me to 3 OBGYN's who don't specialize in thyroid at all. I'm so frustrated that we're stuck with them for a year.

james brammer

February 7th, 2018 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Costumer service is bad. They tell you are denied service, but did not send a letter out. I filed an appeal, but never heard from them. So I called them and I was denied. But never receive a letter from them. Most of the doctors I have talk to . Do not like Select Health Company.

Brady

December 20th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Highly unethical. Once I hit my maximum out of pocket for the year the physician on the payroll for Select Health denied my case because they claimed to see something different on my MRI that half a dozen other radiologists, specialists, and surgeons could not see.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good company with excellent customer service.

Suzanna Wootton

December 16th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Select Health isn't my preffered insurance provider. My copays are really high and I don't love that. But, I don't really have any complaints other than that! I rarely go to the doctor so I haven't had much affiliation with select health themselves.

Jacinda E

December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their customer service answer all of my questions about our benefits with our insurance plan. So far select health has been a great insurance company to work with.

William

December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Select health tries not to pay out anything the can. They are a very affordable option but the coverage isn't great.

Kristen Davidson

December 12th, 2017 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Select Health has been my provider for several years. I am very happy with the service and the availability of the people who I need to speak with.

Hannah

December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've been on SelectHealth for a couple years now. They've been okay. Customer service has been satisfactory, and I'm decently happy with what they cover on our plan. Again, not stellar, but not horrible.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Select Health really isn't the best insurance, but the customer service is pretty good.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are an okay insurance. As far as I have had to deal with them they haven't covered much, but I expect that from any insurance with the reasons for my visits. The customer service is good and doesn't take forever to get help.

Hayley Lambdin

November 12th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I have had a great experience with Select Health. They have covered quite a bit of our various medical needs. It's one of the best insurances we have had in regards to medical. I am never hesitant to go get something checked out or schedule a follow up. Their customer service is very fast and helpful.

Stephanie Lutz

October 25th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Select health covers a lot of things for us. I wish it didn't get more expensive every year, but they have good coverage for my medications.

Matthew Gluckman

October 4th, 2017

Before I signed up I checked online to make sure Lialda would be covered. It was. I called and double checked and it was covered. Now after I've paid my first months payment they told me they won't cover it. Fraudulent quite frankly because it's a medicine I'm supposed to be taking 2x everyday. It seems grossly unprofessional to be disorganized with people's health. I hope anybody considering health care in the future will look elsewhere.

Tony Boyer

September 29th, 2017 Boise, ID

I had this insurance through my employer for 2 years and was laid off by my employer. My pain management provider graciously wrote me a 90-day script for pain medication to be filled on my last day of coverage, which SH promptly refused, stating it wasn't a "maintenance medication." I have been a chronic pain patient for 5 years and this is certainly "maintenance" for my chronic pain. When I called customer service, the rep could do nothing but parrot their "policy." This is nothing but organized crime in my opinion, picking and choosing who is "worthy" of coverage. My God, when I think of how much money I flushed down the toilet in premiums, it makes me literally sick. Stay away from this insurer, they're the epitome of corporate scumbaggery.

Connie Wright

June 7th, 2017 Chino Valley, AZ

I have had a couple of insurances due to a disability, and am so please with Selecthealth. I have received super benefits and I never worry. Thank you for your professionalism and kind way I have been treated. I will suggest you to my friends.

Breanna Jones

June 7th, 2017 Herriman, UT

I have been more happy with Select Health than any other insurance. I have benefits for prescriptions that I never had before with other insurances. I have had to call customer service with questions before and their customer service was helpful. I can find providers everywhere and have never had trouble finding a doctor that takes Select Health.

Susan Stewart

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've been with Select Health for awhile now, and I have really liked it. The hospital I go to takes my insurance as does the same doctor I have been going to for the last 30 years. I went without insurance for a long time, so it is nice to finally be covered and feel like I can go in and get checked out. I would definitely recommend using Select Health.

Jonny Hancock

June 3rd, 2017 Draper, UT

Select Health, has always been fair to my family. I've only had to use my insurance a few times and they paid the bill quickly and notified me when payment was processed. My only complaint is their call center tends to be a little slow in answering your calls.

Carmine Loverchio

May 22nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Absolutely TERRIBLE! I was talked into going from a Gold plan to a Silver plan because it was supposed to be the "best bang for the buck"...yeah right. I might as well not have insurance and just pay for evrything.

dan

April 18th, 2017

raised our rates and then auto renewed us in their worthless over priced plan. now we keep getting bills from them. they say there is nothing they can do.. avoid this company at any cost

Angela Weese

April 14th, 2017 Park City, UT

The coverage was good until they renewed my policy and the premium went from 81.00 a month to 419.00 a month!! i only make 34,000 a year so there is no way i can afford the coverage! What are you supposed to do when you cant pay 400.00 a month? I cancelled it, i had no other choice so now I have no coverage and nowhere to go to get coverage. This sucks because I never even used the policy!!!!

Daniel Milad

March 20th, 2017 TX

The worst customer service experience i have ever had. After confirming twice with a billing person that i shouldn't worry about any other charges, I received another letter from select stating that the account will go to collection if i don't pay. I am now back with United healthcare because of the extremely poor customr service. Shame on you Select health.

Brody Nichols

January 4th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Select Health denied me a life saving procedure for my 15 year old son. This is his response once I told him they denied his surgery to save his kidneys! Then why arnt you helping me? WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO NOW THAT MY ONLY OPTION HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY YOU? YOU ARNT HELPING, ALL YOUR DOING IS DENYING MY EXISTENCE!

Sara Jenson

December 27th, 2016

I have had select health for a couple years now and have not been impressed! I live in a rural area and because of that there are no doctors/counselors etc... in my area, you are expected to travel to a bigger city so that you can be seen by anyone which for.me happens to be 80+ miles away!! RIDICULOUS!!!!

Rachel

December 23rd, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

I needed physical therapy for an injury and so j called customer service to ask about my benefits. I asked specially about referrals and then generally asked about "how it works." I was told that I didn't need a doctors referral that it was a specialists copy. Never did they mention that physical therapy is "different" and you have to have met your deductible before they will pay. Now, because I didn't specifically ask about deductibles, I am responsible for a bill that I could have easily avoided had they been honest with me about my benefits. I have appealed and they continue to maintain that I need to play 20 questions with them if I don't want to get screwed over.

Linda Bates

December 19th, 2016 Mesquite, NV

I just recently moved from Utah to Nevada. I had Select Health, but there is no Select Health coverage in the state of Nevada. That is very unfortunate for us. We have found Select Health to be one of the "finest" healthcare insurance companies we had coverage with! I personally want to say thank you for all of your sevices. I would gladly pick up my policy if Select Health had coverage in Nevada. I recommend this Insurance company, as they are trustworthy, accountable, and respectful. Great Insurance Company!

Kylie Blood

November 9th, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

I really love select health, they work really hard to make sure you understand your insurance plans, and help you find the care you need for a great price!

Jamie

November 8th, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

I have had health problems with my kidney for the last four years. I have been to numerous doctors, had numerous tests, had been hospitalized and on home health. I finally found a doctor that has figured out what is going on and has a solution. I am needing a surgery but unfortunately select health has denied the surgery and I cannot get the help that I desperately need. I am currently in the appeals process but when the tough questions come up select health tells me to just go and find another insurance that will cover the procedure. That is an unfair statement because I pay my premiums every month and I should be covered so that I can improve my health. Select health has approved this procedure for other patients but for some reason they will not approve me. Shame on select health for making me still suffer when there is a cure that can be given to me.

Sarah-McKenzie Garza

November 7th, 2016 Post Falls, ID

Worst Health Insurance I've ever had. They deny part of a bundle bill. Like urgent care. They will pick and choose out of a doctors visit what they want to cover. My husband had an ultrasound done which after finally getting them to correct their coding for they covered but they refused to cover the fee to have the doctor read it. Apparently that (along with everything) is experimental. They claim everything is experimental and refuse to cover it. I have never had so many issues with an insurance carrier. Couldn't wait to get to the end of the year and go back to Blue Cross!

Dorie Weiss

November 6th, 2016 Boise, ID

I am a senior with one year to go until Medicare, thank goodness. It was my first year with Select Health & I was not happy with them. I had a Breast Lump Biopsy & care/treatment/claims were handled fine. But everything else was unacceptable. Cardiology care was poor. I was to have my next echo in 3 years. When I did so, an $8000 test was done & I got two phone calls saying everything was 'fine'. No explanation of the mitral reflux still being an issue or not. Had a pop in my knee. Was only offered an x-ray by Ortho. Was told it was Arthritis. After months of pain I knew it was more. ASKED for an MRI. Had three tears in knee. Had to wait 7 weeks to see Ortho. Saw a DO while waiting because entire leg hurt. He ordered back MRI, have sciatica. Had to go to Spine Clinic to get referral to Pain Clinic. Too much run-around. Too much time wasted. Too many copays padding the bill. Pain Clinic played phone tag with me, didn't listen to my messages. Pharmacy told me I could have ONE MO of RX. Plan pays for 90 days worth. Took until Nov to start getting 90 days worth & it was same price as one mo worth! Plan going up by 300/mo next year. Can't afford it. Not sure if I should go with a lesser plan of theirs or switch back to Blue Cross Idaho for this last year. Still have hip pain that hasn't been addressed. I felt like providers passed the buck & referred me around needlessly. Used to work in a hospital so know it can be done better. Not Affordable Health Care.

Joe Johnson

October 20th, 2016

Select Health is all about money and not about people. We had my son with many unique health concerns on his own plan so we could get the health care he needed. We made our payments diligently, we never missed and we were never late. However, we found another plan that was cheaper for us and still covered all of my son's health problems with the providers we needed so we called Select Health and canceled. This occurred in the middle of August and they said the September bill might still go out to you, but just ignore it. So the September bill came and we ignored as they advised. Well now it is the middle of October and we get a collection notice from Select Health about our bill from September. So we call the number and explain the situation and the agent showed no sympathy and offered no help, she simply stated "if you don't pay it now it will go to collections". Of course we paid the bill, but we were very disappointed in the service they offered. It wasn't about the money, it was about the principle. They promised one thing and did not follow through. I am a physician and I have been very disappointed with IHC and Select Health over the years. There is a lot of deceit in their advertising and even more deceit in their billing process. I am hoping another large competitor will outcompete them for the marketplace here in utah.

B

August 29th, 2016 Provo, UT

The problem with SelectHealth is their customer service representatives make $15 an hour and don't care. I've been misquoted insurance benefits, told the wrong deductible amount, and on, and on. They can't seem to bill the correct insurance ID despite the fact that my insurance has changed and the plan they're billing is no longer active. Stupidity upon stupidity. I don't know whether to correct their mistakes or just let them go because they're working in my favor.

Darren Westhora

August 25th, 2016 Tooele, UT

Made sure the procedure we were looking at was covered by our insurance and were told it would be just the normal co-pay. A bill came for over $2000. This company is a joke. They deny ever telling us it was just the co-pay.

Ashlee

August 23rd, 2016 Salt Lake City, UT

Absolutely the worst insurance company we have ever had! THEY COVER ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HELP OUR 4 YEAR OLD SON WITH AUTISM!! they discriminate against people with Autism and it is absolutely wrong!!! WE pay hundreds a month and have received nothing literally Nothing in return!!

Wayne S.

August 22nd, 2016 South Jordan, UT

We will not give Select Health a good recommendation. Our doctor at IHC correctly recommended seeing the gynecology clinic the University of Utah. Come to find out after an appointment was made and our problem was solved by the U. of U. gynecology area, Strong opposition to the payment was immediately made by Select Health claiming that “we did not use the Select Heath ‘network' and therefore payments to the U. of U. can not be made." The cascading consequences that followed required surgery because of delays we blame directly to Select Health. BEWARE! Your health consideration stands in last place when it comes to Select Health's insurance coverage.. Wayne S.

Dan

April 2nd, 2016 Boise, ID

80-20 plan...terrible. Very poor options for preferred drugs. They frequently change rx preferred designation. I am wholly dissatisfied.

Mick Waters

March 19th, 2016 Kuna, ID

Select Health has been very troublesome with our prescription coverage. We will not renew with Select Health come November.

Patrick

March 11th, 2016 Boise, ID

Select health is a poor health insurance provider do not buy a policy through them. I purchased a GOLD plan and got the worst service and spent more money paying for medical expenses in cash then i have with any other provider. They have a so many stipulations on paying a claim that nothing gets paid. They also stick it to you with pharmacy benefits by not paying for drugs because the pharmaceutical company's clinical trial results influence whether or not they will pay for certain dosages. They missed the concept that the doctor is the medical expert and knows what meds and dosage are best for the patient. If you are considering a select death health insurance plan please read every word in the entire plan before purchasing. As they say...read the fine print.

corina

February 1st, 2016 Boise, ID

worst insurance I have EVER had to deal with. If you are pregnant or plan to use this insurance for maternity it is the worst idea you will regret it. I cant even begin to explain how horrible it is. Lets just say I had the most expensive insurance and after my baby was born continued to pay almost $500.00 a month it is now 6 months later nothing is being covered and they just continue to ask for money. Frustrating to know I was paying $500.00 a month and having collections agencies call because they are refusing to pay my claims...

Jody Carly

January 26th, 2016 Provo, UT

I'm on the Select Health Share program. This program came into effect on January 1st and it is now January 26th. So far I HATE this program. Our primary care physician doesn't take this insurance, our dermatologist doesn't take this insurance, and our OB doctor doesn't take this program. That's because the program is crap. We've been going to these doctors for years and now have to find all new ones. I called Select Health to find out if I can go to the local health department to get my kids immunized because I haven't picked a new doctor yet. It took them 30 minutes to find out! They kept getting back on the phone and saying "sorry, I'm still checking on that, could you hold for just a few more minutes?" Seriously? Even Select health doesn't know what they cover. My employer pays $684.00 every two weeks for my family to be covered with this insurance. That is $17,784 per year for this program. AND IT"S COMPLETE CRAP!!

Donell

January 21st, 2016 Twin Falls, ID

Select Health appeared good at first. They are friendly but screw things up and do not make things right. I was denied coverage by Select Health for my kids, but then back charged for 2 months of premium coverage for the kids 2 months later. I never got any proof I had insurance and just a letter of denial. They won't fix the problem and just threaten to terminate my insurance now that I have already paid. On another note they didn't want to cover a preventative flu shot for 22 bucks-- still working on that. Maybe the company just needs to replace a few people.

clair

October 15th, 2015 Orem, UT

this is the worse health care provider. The customer service could not give me answers the the problem I was having with my health provider. she said I swore at her. finally hung up on me. I would not use this co. as a health care provider. LOOK SOME WHERE ELSE Also when you go to the doctor make sure you say your paying with cash, it will save you about $52.00 by not going through this co.

emily

October 9th, 2015 Salt Lake City, UT

I've gone through 2 pregnancies - one with United Healthcare and one with Select Health. Select Health was by far worse, both in coverage and customer service. Blood tests that were supposed to be covered as preventive were rejected by Select Health, so I appealed and was rejected again. I don't get how they can reject preventive care based on the ACA. But we're stuck with them.

Mike Riley

May 13th, 2015 Salt Lake City, UT

Tried to take care of billing issues online. Takes 24 hours to have an online account created (tells me they have no clue how to automate). Hapless Customer Service person "did not understand" why the account had not appeared after even 24 hours, gave me an 800# to call. Called that number, which was mostly an IVR loop trying to sell me additional services - did not get through. Finally found another number to call, got through to a person, who agreed to make the account change. Asked for an email confirming the change had been made because I tried to do the same thing a month ago... told me she could not email anything, had to get supervisor. Put on hold for 12 minutes. Told supervisor that I needed email confirmation of the account change, he told me he could not email me anything, offered to have me fill out a form. Told him would take too long to wait on the mail, he offered to email a form so that I could fill it out and submit it. I asked "so you can email me a form, but you can't email me confirmation of an account change? I asked him why ... "I don't know sir, I just can't." Whoever their VP of Customer Service needs to be fired... worst company I have encountered

Cathy Cooper

April 3rd, 2015 Kaysville, UT

They have been great. No complaints and I have had a lot of medical bills lately.

Gina B

March 31st, 2015 Salt Lake City, UT

I have had nothing but issues with this company. People tell me different things all the time, they tell me they will do something and they don't. Vast amounts of un-returned phone calls, lost paperwork- I even got accused of lying by one of their team members until I produced the call recording that proved otherwise. I would not recommend this company to anyone.