Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945. It is a nonprofit health insurance provider with years of industry experience. It offers employer-provided plans, Medicaid, Medicare, charitable health insurance, and other private insurance plans. Kaiser Permanente's plan selection makes it easy for people to find good health insurance.  Its plans are available in eight states and Washington, D.C.

Kaiser Permanente offers quality patient treatment and care through its networks, which also makes it a good option. Kaiser Permanente health insurance plans provide insurance coverage at Kaiser Permanente hospitals and clinics. These medical facilities are staffed with high quality health care providers including primary care physicians and specialists.

Members can receive several different kinds of medical care and treatment at one medical center, which makes receiving health care treatment convenient.  This offering makes Kaiser Permanente stand out from other insurance providers. While some may find the restriction to receiving care only at a Kaiser Permanente Center, it is helpful if there's a Kaiser Permanente clinic or hospital in your community.

View Kaiser Permanente Reviews

Founded in Oakland, California, this health system has millions of members in Colorado, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Services and Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

The plan selection at Kaiser Permanente is quite admirable. Kaiser Permanente won't require you to give out personal information like your date of birth or parts of your medical history to get even the most basic information about its insurance policy options in your area. You just say whether you are turning 65 during the year, whether you get insurance through an employer, and whether you are looking for a plan for yourself or for a group. Then you input your zip code to see health insurance options in your area.

Getting the cost information for a plan will require further research because the monthly premium depends on several factors, like age. But the initial questionaire will give you access to brief descriptions of the types of plans available and the overall coverage you can expect.

Kaiser Permanente offers individual, family, and employer-provided health insurance plans. Employer-sponsored plans help employers add value to their employees' benefits package.

Kaiser Permanente also offers Medicaid, Medicare, and charitable health insurance to individuals who qualify. Some Kaiser Permanente plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). It also offers catastrophic plans.

Employers interested in adding vision and dental insurance to their health benefits can offer dental and vision insurance through Kaiser Permanente.

Premiums, coverage, copayments, coinsurance, annual out-of-pocket limit, and annual deductible, of course, depend on the individual plan. Before purchasing a health insurance plan, it's important to understand the full cost of the plan, which is not just the monthly premiums. In some cases, it may make sense to pay higher insurance premiums to have lower out-of-pocket expenses.

As you consider Kaiser Permanente medical insurance plans, keep in mind that it does not offer typical network structures, like Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans. Instead, Kaiser Permanete has its own facilities and providers for patient care. Care received elsewhere is not covered by the insurance provider. If you're interested in a plan with more typical network structures, consider other health insurance companies.

You should also consider the coverage offered by a plan before finalizing enrollment. Most plans fully cover preventive care. See what the coverage looks like for other treatment, care, or services you may need.

Member Services and Resources

Members are treated well at Kaiser Permanente. My Health Manager is the name for the online member portal through which you access your account. Through My Health Manager, you can:

• View the benefits of your health plan.
  • Make a payment
  • Download a form you need
  • Set up (or change) a date for a doctor's appointment
  • Email your doctor about a minor question
  • View your medical record

Extra abilities like viewing your medical records make this member portal, even more, personalized and convenient. Plus, Kaiser Permanente has a mobile app that allows you to do many of these same tasks.

For members, there's also a dedicated FAQ section that gives you answers to questions you may have about getting an ID card, looking up a doctor in Kaiser Permanente's network, and paying a bill.

There is also a dedicated member phone number to contact as well. Kaiser Permanente eases not only logistics but also health care education. Members and nonmembers alike can use Kaiser Permanente's glossary of health care terms, which might come in handy when shopping for a plan, learning how to use your benefits, looking up a provider, and more. Resources like these make the company more transparent and customer-centric.

Unique Features

Kaiser Permanente offers many of the same added advantages that other health care insurance companies offer: discounts on health-related products, education about health care as an industry, and a mobile app. These added perks demonstrate Kaiser Permanente's dedication to supporting its members' health and well-being. Each company that offers these additional features puts its own twist on these features, and Kaiser Permanente is no exception.

The mobile app for this company is called the Kaiser Permanente Mobile App, and it allows members to do many of the same tasks that the member portal does. These include contacting your doctor, making a payment, finding a health care providers and medical offices, and viewing your medical history.

Kaiser Permanente has a lot of different discounts as well. Some of these are for fitness club memberships and for massage therapy. In addition, Kaiser Permanente has a wealth of information in its health guide.

Kaiser Permanente also offers health classess and healthy lifestyle programs to help people live healthier lives. If you're trying to make a healthy change in your diet, if you're trying to quit smoking or lose weight, or if you're struggling to manage a chronic illness, these resources would be helpful for you.

Kaiser Permanente values high-quality care. The company website is very helpful, with lots of details about the types of plans Kaiser Permanente offers, member resources, and ways to make the most of the plan benefits.

One of the best features of the Kaiser Permanente site, though, is its plan finder. To look up basic information about their health plans, you don't have to provide very personal information (though to get specific prices and quotes, some personal information is necessary). This tool is so easy to use and is nonintrusive.

Kaiser Permanente also makes it possible for customers to get help in either English or Spanish as well.

Flexibility is found in other areas, too. With a health plan here, you can switch doctors at any time and use the find a doctor tool to find a different one. Kaiser Permanente has millions of members. With so many customers to serve, the company has developed a wide selection of resources. The company is transparent about its health plans. It makes navigating the member portal easy and intuitive. Kaiser Permantente anticipates customer questions well.

Get Quote

The Bad

Service Areas

One major limitation of Kaiser Permanente is the span of states that Kaiser Permanente can work with. This company limits itself to just several states out of 50, which means its health plans aren't even an option for you if you live outside of these states. If Kaiser Permanente's plans are not available in your area, you'll need to consider another insurance company.

The Bottom Line

Kaiser Permanente is a recommended company for health insurance because of its industry experience and plan offerings. It offers many different types of health plans, including group plans for employers to offer employees, plans for individuals and families, and charitable health insurance for those who are not eligible for Medicaid but also can't afford to purchase their own health insurance plan. Kaiser Permanente also offers dental and vision coverage, and good member resources.

For specific information on plans, insurance premiums, and out-of-pocket expenses in your area, contact Kaiser Permanente directly or visit its website.

In fact, the main reason you may not want to use Kaiser Permanente's insurance might just be that you don't live in a region that this company services. For that reason, Kaiser Permanente is admittedly more limited than some competing insurance carriers. If Kaiser Permanente's medical facilities are not convenient to you, you may want to consider another insurer for purchasing health coverage. Depending on the type of coverage you're looking for, Kaiser Permanente's plan details might not match up either. But for the right customers, this company offers transparency and a common goal to keep you healthy, both of which build trust.

Call our recommended rep over at Kaiser Permanente below.

2.9

Jennifer Encarnacion

November 19th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Kaiser, I like their app, I like my doctors. My only gripe is that sometimes it's only possible to get an appointment during the weekdays and I prefer them on the weekends because I work. Other than that, I'm always on the app if I need to re-order prescriptions, e-mail my doctor, etc. Love it. Whenever I call into their customer service as well they are quick to guide me in the right direction.

Pedro

November 16th, 2018 Belmont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser Permanente has the worst customer service, doctors don't listen to their patients and their website is useless!!! I came in to see my general doctor and ask her to give me a referral to a dermatologist about these spots on my back, she told me it is not needed because it was only a rash and all I need to put on it is calamine lotion. I told her it was not that because I had this when I was younger but she still didn't give me the referral. Very awful experience. Second, I had upgraded my plan and put in my card for automatic payment due to travel reason and can't get to mail sometime. There was a hiccup when they tried to charge the card (even though I had money in the bank) so instead of trying to charge the card again, they put a hold on the card and sent me "one" letter to my residence. After a couple of months, I check the website and I accumulated over a thousand dollars in monthly payment. I checked the website on what happen to my automatic payment and it said that my card was "active". And here is the third strike, I called their call center and talked to them about my situation, they told me about my card being on hold and they sent "one" letter around February. I told them, I travel and I didn't look at letter because I thought it might be a bill for $0. I asked them why they didn't contact me through phone, email, or even through their website which has an inbox. I asked for a supervisor, not around so I told the operator to have him/her to call me or email me. No response. A week later they sent me an "email" ( which I responded right away and this wouldn't have happen if they made the effort to use all means of communication with me) to say they had cancel my membership due to non-payment. I could go on about what was the outcome which resulted in still being bad. So once open enrollment comes, I will be going to their competitors.

Samantha

November 16th, 2018 San Ysidro, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use to have Kaiser, it was great, they always have everything you need in one hospital. I am getting kaiser again, the only thing I'm hesitant about is the wait times if I need Urgent Care!! Place is very nice and clean, people were always nice.

Lindsay Fritts

November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have not been a fan of Kaiser Permanente the past 2 years I have had them. You have to jump through multiple hoops just to go to a specialist who can handle your health issue properly. It gets expensive having to have multiple appointments and pay multiple copays (which aren't cheap) when you already know exactly what type of doctor you need. I had an ear problem, but couldn't go to an ENT without a referral, so I ended up going to the general doctor and they ended up popping one of my ear drums and I couldn't hear for a week until I made it to the ENT (which I had to pay for 2 appointments, even though it was their fault). Would not recommend.

Kathie Bowman

November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their doctors and nurses are always very nice and welcoming with a smile. They were there with the best team of nurses when I had my daughter. wouldn't choose any other provider

Eric Learo

November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been insured through Kaiser for about two years now. While health insurance in general is over priced in the US, Kaiser certainly makes it worth it. My primary care physician is great about making time to schedule an over the phone appointment and if she is not available to do an in patient appointment I am welcome to work with a different doctor.

Cayla Koga

October 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only ever had Kaiser insurance. I'm not sure I would know what to do if I had a provider other than Kaiser. Billing is easy. Canceling appointments is easy. Their advice nurses are pretty cool. I don't go to the doctors very often, but when I do, I'm glad I have Kaiser.

Douglas Larson

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was completely covered when an infection led to a emergency surgery, although if they had helped me out when I went to the office, the surgery probably wouldn't have been necessary. I think their doctors are over-booked, because it took a while to get in to receive care.

James Nelson

August 2nd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

The coordination between specialists is second to none. They know my history and can access it quickly. This may produce bias and hinder their treatment, however, at times.

Hannah Cummins

August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Kaiser is a great provider if you live close to all of their facilities, if you live far away then it is very difficult to deal with. Being a college student and being covered by Kaiser was a huge headache and was very stressful. I also wish they were better at helping their patients with their symptoms rather than assuming a diagnosis and prescribing a bunch of medicine that may or may not work. Their billing and clams department is also AWFUL to deal with, it takes them over 2 months to file a claim from an outside doctor, ridiculous.

Sandra Jensen

July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Very pleased ith this company. My state doesn't have them any more.

Karen Nelson

July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I am excited about writing this review. We raised a large, very needful family. Kaiser's care and coverage was beyond any medical experience I have ever had. I highly recommend this company to anyone.

Frank Araujo

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent; excellent rates, excellent professional and administrative services.

Msclark

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I find Kaiser to be the most affordable and the service is wonderful

Brian Wilkins

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bad, bad, and bad. Over priced. Cost a fortune and don't pay squat. High deductibles. Overly complicated.

Robert Reber

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great insurance, great physicians, great service!

Jose O Rivas

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very expensive, choosy is higher and they act like they do not care

Beth Timms

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like nothing about them they are rude. They have select appointments for certain people they cannot schedule and refuse to schedule. My primary will not schedule a physical instead he sends me to specialty doctors to avoid doing a physical

Laurie Livingston

July 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had great experience. They return calls quickly and prescriptions are filled quickly. I am quite happy with the doctors I see within Kaiser Permanente.

Esterline York & David Williams

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service is top shelf. Like everything in this country, it could be more affordable.

Bruce Anderson

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very responsive; highly qualified staff; non-profit; very low administrative overhead; convenient (most services in the same location like lab, radiology and pharmacy).

Eckroat Julie

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capable, proven, quality care, should be prototype for all health care.

Mike

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Outstanding. Fantastic service. Good doctors who care.

Kathleen Watts

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ALWAYS exceptional care and follow through. Nothing to improve on as of yet

Mary Calloway

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All services with same facility can be referred to specialist after initial visit with primary doctor. Doctors really listen and schedule appropriat test with no hassle over cost. Can get durable medical supplies at nomimal cost. The list goes on and on.

Mark Szalkiewicz

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

they are very proactive and quick for simple services

Matthew

May 18th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser can not even do the disability paperwork. Making an appointment is horrible with how rude the call center is. They act like they are doing you a favor.

Robert C Moore Sr.

March 13th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a complaint with Kaiser over 2 months. Most of the reps don't know what they're doing. I was told to drive almost 30 minutes away to pick up information from my surgeon only to arrive and the surgeon was out of town and the info not available. Member Services took my complaint and someone would get right back with me. A month later, still no call. I have a surgery scheduled for next week. I called Atlanta Outpatient Services with a question. They told me to call my surgeon's office. I did. The lady got nasty with me telling me I should call the Outpatient Surgery Clinic. I tried to explain I just got off the phone with them, and they instructed me to call my surgeon. She placed me on hold for 15 minutes. When she finally got back on the phone, she again told me I needed to call the Outpatient Center. I again told her that's who I called and who told me to call the office she's at. I asked for her name. She refused to give me her name, and somehow we were disconnected. It seems to me that Kaiser's customer service is getting worse with every year.

Paul

February 15th, 2018 Vancouver, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Type 1 diabetics should be cautious of Kaiser. The insulin on the formulary is antiquated (Humulin circa 1978) and only available in vials. Clinicians are well-meaning but ignorant of the prices patients must pay for more modern insulin so they will prescribe better insulin, but a shock comes at the pharmacy when its time to pay. The whole health care industry needs greater transparency around the total cost that patients are asked to pay: premiums + labs + drugs + negative health consequences of using antiquated medications.

Barb

November 20th, 2017 Vancouver, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In my opinion and personal experience, the Vancouver, Wa /Portland, Ore. Kaiser system is overloaded, overwhelmed and understaffed. You will pay premiums every month, but waits for dentists or any specialists will be over two months. They take your dental premiums but they don't have enough openings for new patients and you are instructed to simply keep calling back. There is no accountability or waiting list to help you actually gain access to the only dental care that is covered by your premiums. There is no legal accountability for malpractice, you are forced to go to arbitration. I was an RN, and I have never seen worse care, been denied or minimized access to care, or seen more inconsistent levels of care in my life, and I have lived in other countries with socialized medicine that were medically 20 years behind the USA. I have been mis led, misinformed, and was shocked some of the doctors I talked to were extremely misinformed or 15 years out of date with common medical knowledge. I have suffered permanent damages as a result of misdiagnosis, and denial of standard of care. Trying to obtain appropriate corrective medical care has resulted in verbal abuse from the head of the department, every thing I reported was dismissed and demeaned. I devote about 4 hours a week on the phone or in person to Kaiser issues. Even though I paid premiums automatically through Bill Pay, they charged a credit card for the same premiums a week after they were already paid. This happened more than once. I think there are a few good people there who try there best to compensate for the situation, and I appreciate them very much....but I think most are overwhelmed and quit caring. It saddens me to see Kaiser continue to actively advertise and recruit new memberships when they can't handle the case loads they have today.

Polly

August 7th, 2017 Woodburn, OR

We pay over $800 a month for health insurance. When the time came and we called the ambulance for for an emergency and the paramedics said it was not life threatening so we pass on going to the emergency room.. Kaiser refuses to pay any portion of the bill. We actually saved the insurance company money and they screw us over by not helping pay anything on the bill but make us pay 100%!! whats the point of insurance if they are not going to cover anything during an emergency???? I hate this company and I don't recommend them to anyone. They are such scammers and yes I am very pissed off.

Zhanna Kolesova

June 20th, 2017

They keep sending me the bill that I paid long time ago by credit card, and neither multiple phone calls, nor sending mail helped to resolve the issue. Now they are threatening me with the collection agency. That's insanity. One phone call should have been enough to resolve an issue like that. And that's not the only issue, it's just the one I am still fighting with at the moment, although I am no longer their client, and I will never ever chose them as my insurance provider again, and I will warn as many people as possible on all the review sites that I can find, to stay away from them.

Mark

June 13th, 2017

Our family has used Kaiser for over 30 years. It has taken good care of us through routine and emergency needs and we have appreciated the preventive and needed health care we have received. It can be frustrating to wait for certain parameters to be reached for some surgeries, but otherwise, they are right on for getting things done. As my family has grown and left home, the biggest complaint is that Kaiser is not easily located in the states where they now live. Kaiser is good for covering emergency treatment in those areas, but it would be nice to have regular doctors and health care available there too.

Jenna LeStarge

June 8th, 2017

I really like the Kaiser approach to health care. It is great for kids. I had my last baby at Kaiser- Walnut Creek and I was blown away by the experience. The midwives were so professional, and their holistic approach was so refreshing.

Kenneth Okerlund

June 7th, 2017 Orem, UT

Really good coverage, especially with the dental insurance. The only thing I don't like is the limited availability depending on location, but they still have decent policy on going to another location if you can't make it to them.