Kaiser Permanente was founded in 1945. It is a nonprofit health insurance provider with years of industry experience. It offers employer-provided plans, Medicaid, Medicare, charitable health insurance, and other private insurance plans. Kaiser Permanente's plan selection makes it easy for people to find good health insurance.  Its plans are available in eight states and Washington, D.C.

Kaiser Permanente offers quality patient treatment and care through its networks, which also makes it a good option. Kaiser Permanente health insurance plans provide insurance coverage at Kaiser Permanente hospitals and clinics. These medical facilities are staffed with high quality health care providers including primary care physicians and specialists.

Members can receive several different kinds of medical care and treatment at one medical center, which makes receiving health care treatment convenient.  This offering makes Kaiser Permanente stand out from other insurance providers. While some may find the restriction to receiving care only at a Kaiser Permanente Center, it is helpful if there's a Kaiser Permanente clinic or hospital in your community.

View Kaiser Permanente Reviews

Founded in Oakland, California, this health system has millions of members in Colorado, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, California, Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Services and Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

The plan selection at Kaiser Permanente is quite admirable. Kaiser Permanente won't require you to give out personal information like your date of birth or parts of your medical history to get even the most basic information about its insurance policy options in your area. You just say whether you are turning 65 during the year, whether you get insurance through an employer, and whether you are looking for a plan for yourself or for a group. Then you input your zip code to see health insurance options in your area.

Getting the cost information for a plan will require further research because the monthly premium depends on several factors, like age. But the initial questionaire will give you access to brief descriptions of the types of plans available and the overall coverage you can expect.

Kaiser Permanente offers individual, family, and employer-provided health insurance plans. Employer-sponsored plans help employers add value to their employees' benefits package.

Kaiser Permanente also offers Medicaid, Medicare, and charitable health insurance to individuals who qualify. Some Kaiser Permanente plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). It also offers catastrophic plans.

Employers interested in adding vision and dental insurance to their health benefits can offer dental and vision insurance through Kaiser Permanente.

Premiums, coverage, copayments, coinsurance, annual out-of-pocket limit, and annual deductible, of course, depend on the individual plan. Before purchasing a health insurance plan, it's important to understand the full cost of the plan, which is not just the monthly premiums. In some cases, it may make sense to pay higher insurance premiums to have lower out-of-pocket expenses.

As you consider Kaiser Permanente medical insurance plans, keep in mind that it does not offer typical network structures, like Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans. Instead, Kaiser Permanete has its own facilities and providers for patient care. Care received elsewhere is not covered by the insurance provider. If you're interested in a plan with more typical network structures, consider other health insurance companies.

You should also consider the coverage offered by a plan before finalizing enrollment. Most plans fully cover preventive care. See what the coverage looks like for other treatment, care, or services you may need.

Member Services and Resources

Members are treated well at Kaiser Permanente. My Health Manager is the name for the online member portal through which you access your account. Through My Health Manager, you can:

• View the benefits of your health plan.
  • Make a payment
  • Download a form you need
  • Set up (or change) a date for a doctor's appointment
  • Email your doctor about a minor question
  • View your medical record

Extra abilities like viewing your medical records make this member portal, even more, personalized and convenient. Plus, Kaiser Permanente has a mobile app that allows you to do many of these same tasks.

For members, there's also a dedicated FAQ section that gives you answers to questions you may have about getting an ID card, looking up a doctor in Kaiser Permanente's network, and paying a bill.

There is also a dedicated member phone number to contact as well. Kaiser Permanente eases not only logistics but also health care education. Members and nonmembers alike can use Kaiser Permanente's glossary of health care terms, which might come in handy when shopping for a plan, learning how to use your benefits, looking up a provider, and more. Resources like these make the company more transparent and customer-centric.

Unique Features

Kaiser Permanente offers many of the same added advantages that other health care insurance companies offer: discounts on health-related products, education about health care as an industry, and a mobile app. These added perks demonstrate Kaiser Permanente's dedication to supporting its members' health and well-being. Each company that offers these additional features puts its own twist on these features, and Kaiser Permanente is no exception.

The mobile app for this company is called the Kaiser Permanente Mobile App, and it allows members to do many of the same tasks that the member portal does. These include contacting your doctor, making a payment, finding a health care providers and medical offices, and viewing your medical history.

Kaiser Permanente has a lot of different discounts as well. Some of these are for fitness club memberships and for massage therapy. In addition, Kaiser Permanente has a wealth of information in its health guide.

Kaiser Permanente also offers health classess and healthy lifestyle programs to help people live healthier lives. If you're trying to make a healthy change in your diet, if you're trying to quit smoking or lose weight, or if you're struggling to manage a chronic illness, these resources would be helpful for you.

Kaiser Permanente values high-quality care. The company website is very helpful, with lots of details about the types of plans Kaiser Permanente offers, member resources, and ways to make the most of the plan benefits.

One of the best features of the Kaiser Permanente site, though, is its plan finder. To look up basic information about their health plans, you don't have to provide very personal information (though to get specific prices and quotes, some personal information is necessary). This tool is so easy to use and is nonintrusive.

Kaiser Permanente also makes it possible for customers to get help in either English or Spanish as well.

Flexibility is found in other areas, too. With a health plan here, you can switch doctors at any time and use the find a doctor tool to find a different one. Kaiser Permanente has millions of members. With so many customers to serve, the company has developed a wide selection of resources. The company is transparent about its health plans. It makes navigating the member portal easy and intuitive. Kaiser Permantente anticipates customer questions well.

Get Quote

The Bad

Service Areas

One major limitation of Kaiser Permanente is the span of states that Kaiser Permanente can work with. This company limits itself to just several states out of 50, which means its health plans aren't even an option for you if you live outside of these states. If Kaiser Permanente's plans are not available in your area, you'll need to consider another insurance company.

The Bottom Line

Kaiser Permanente is a recommended company for health insurance because of its industry experience and plan offerings. It offers many different types of health plans, including group plans for employers to offer employees, plans for individuals and families, and charitable health insurance for those who are not eligible for Medicaid but also can't afford to purchase their own health insurance plan. Kaiser Permanente also offers dental and vision coverage, and good member resources.

For specific information on plans, insurance premiums, and out-of-pocket expenses in your area, contact Kaiser Permanente directly or visit its website.

In fact, the main reason you may not want to use Kaiser Permanente's insurance might just be that you don't live in a region that this company services. For that reason, Kaiser Permanente is admittedly more limited than some competing insurance carriers. If Kaiser Permanente's medical facilities are not convenient to you, you may want to consider another insurer for purchasing health coverage. Depending on the type of coverage you're looking for, Kaiser Permanente's plan details might not match up either. But for the right customers, this company offers transparency and a common goal to keep you healthy, both of which build trust.

Call our recommended rep over at Kaiser Permanente below.

2.9

Mary M

June 25th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser Permanente is not healthcare but in fact, a big scam. The employees there don't take any ownership of wrongdoing. They messed up our accounts and our names and they sent the account to collection, even though my account states a ZERO balance AND my husband was paying a payment plan. When I called the office of financial counselling and I explained to them that the account has discrepancy and we needed to verify our payments and they said "sorry we will pull the file from collection and will contact you to verify." They never did and when I called them on June 21, they said we decided not to pull the file from collection. Not to mention that they hung up the phone while I was talking with them. They are very difficult to deal with and when you ask any questions they will transfer you to another department without answering. Please be warned the nightmare you are getting yourself into when you sign up for Kaiser.

Ben Crisp

June 24th, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had kaiser for a few years now and I’ve been satisfied for the most part. They have quality doctors and friendly staff most of the time. One thing that is pretty difficult is the limits to my coverage outside of CA, which is part of a lot of companies but Kaiser is very strict.

LCC

June 21st, 2019 Vallejo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my family and I were living in the Bay Area, we used Kaiser as insurance and I love that we can schedule our own appointments online (we have an option to call to schedule) or you can do it yourself (I prefer this) - you can also see your doctors schedule and availability (usually, if I wanted an appointment the same week, like today is Monday, majority of the time, I could get a Wednesday appointment or earlier). Anyway, I also gave birth to my daughter at a Kaiser hospital and I had a great birthing experience and stay (my daughter was born at 35 weeks) so we stayed a few extra days. Fast forward to now, we recently moved back to the place where I grew up (not in California, anymore) so we had to unfortunately give up our Kaiser insurance and go with whatever was available at our location. Scheduling alone, I cannot do it on my own and I scheduled yesterday for a yearly checkup & yesterday was June 19th, my appointment is July 19th. What in the actual...? I also got my hearing tests done with Kaiser and got my hearing aids from them (unfortunately, no insurance covers the cost of hearing aids since it's considered cosmetic) - I wish Kaiser would fix this especially for people who have hearing loss (trust me, no one wants to spend $3500 on hearing aids, and for sure we don't consider it cosmetic to be wearing hearing aids or to even own them!) That is my only negative thing, I feel that Kaiser could at least give a 50% discount on them. I basically had to use my travel savings for my hearing aids because they didn't even have monthly payments available. I do miss our Kaiser insurance and just having everything in 1 location - we lived nearby a Kaiser hospital so we got everything done at that location, only time I went to another location which was only 3 miles away from the hospital was when I got my hearing tests done and did a fitting for my hearing aids.

Anna Lower

June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT

Average health care for an average price so overall pretty good if you don’t need much

Leslee Zenor

June 12th, 2019 Vancouver, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents and family has been with Kaiser for over 40 years and I am at my wits and with them right now. My parents are getting older and with that they need more care. 3 years ago my father had a heart attack that lasted over 24 hours before they even diagnosed it. More recently they called my mom and told her she either had leukemia or lymphoma. They waited a week before calling her with results. Now she doesn't have an appointment for 3 more weeks with blood doctor. If they tell her in 3 weeks she has cancer it will be very upsetting. Why can't they get her in sooner?

Naomi

June 4th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser is expensive insurance but it is reliable. They are committed to promoting good health; after all, it benefits them if their clients are healthy. They do pay out when you need them to and their prescription and Copay is reasonable. The deductibles are fairly high on most plans though, so save your money to pay for those.

Christine Farmer

June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Kaiser Permanente for health insurance for several years. I was happy with my doctor and felt like I had good care. I only left because the price for the monthly insurance premium became ridiculously high. For our family of 4, we were looking at almost $2100/month! This was on a high deductible plan, so we would pay that amount and still be paying more to reach our deductible. In two years time the premium had raised about $1,000. I blame much of this on Obamacare and the government, but regardless we went another route and are very satisfied to be saving all that money.

Amy Farmer

June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was on my family’s insurance when we had Kaiser Permanente and it just seemed really expensive for what it offered. Just did not give me a bang for my buck. Or even give me something worthwhile for my money. But maybe that’s just how all health insurance is in America.

Dale L Farmer

May 30th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At one time they were very affordable if you needed individualized insurance. Not so much any more. Good doctors and staff. Good facilities.

Nana Asiata

May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser has great insurance and options. Coverage is awesome. Too bad they don't have more establishments in other states.

Rosie Hansen

May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser has great coverage, I just wish there were more Kaiser facilities around the U.S.. I hate the fact that you can only go to a Kaiser facility because of this insurance.

Alexandra Chavez-Earls

May 14th, 2019 Chandler, AZ

Honestly, I would not recommend Kaiser anyone that really cares about being healthy or having good healthcare. There are so many limitations that it’s not worth even trying to get help. Plus, the doctors that I’ve been to had no respect for my situation or the time they made me wait for useless appointment. Don’t go to Kaiser.

Craig

May 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While living out of state we were covered by Kaiser Permanente and we loved it. The insurance was very affordable and we loved the physicians that were in network. In fact we really miss using that insurance because of every aspect associated with it. If you are in a market where Kaiser is an option, look into it!

SCREWED BLUE

May 13th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser is a criminal NONPROFIT whose CEO makes $10M yr ($834K mo). They are top-heavy with administrators that invent excuses to condone service denial. Drs get kickbacks of the difference between membership fees/govt subsidies & services provided, a further incentive for denying service. Elderly suicidal partner in emotional/financial distress suffering w/spinal stenosis & sleeping disorder is being forced to pay $200 a day for days on end as a barcalounger ca$h cow in a room w/50 other chumps at a LEGACY facility becasuse he is beyond the "scope of compentency" of the FREE Kaiser facility & was threatened with a court ordered mandatory commitment for an undetermined length of time. Despite repeated approved FOIs, Kaiser refuses ANY info to family members. They spring indecipherable bills for vast sums MONTHS later & no amount of phone calls for explanations reveals ANYTHING because nobody has a clue. If you don't pay, you're hounded DAILY with creepy collection calls.

Caitlin

May 9th, 2019 Evergreen, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hands down worst physical therapy assessment I have ever received (and as an athlete I have been in physical therapy many times throughout my life). I was seen for about 25 minutes, the appointment felt very rushed. I was given several stretches and strengthening exercises and told “we’ll see you in a few weeks” which I found puzzling. I asked if regular weekly sessions are not something that is done at this facility and was told I could be seen sooner “if I wanted”. So, as I am to understand it, it seems Kaiser’s approach to physical therapy is sporadic rushed appointments where the patient is given some handouts to take home - handouts that I could certainly have found on my own with a few simple internet searches. No regular sessions to track progress and make adjustments as necessary? No manual therapy? No use of well known and effective tools to enhance a stretching and strengthening routine - like electric stim, dry needling, massage, ice, heat, etc? And now I’m stuck with Kaiser and have no choice but to utilize the services of their many little medical factories serving up mediocre care at best. I will have to pay out of pocket to receive quality care for my injuries or I will have to wait until next year where I will NOT be signing on with Kaiser again. SO very disappointed in myself for choosing Kaiser. Thank you next.

R

May 6th, 2019 Lodi, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a life long member of kaiser, but as off recent I’m losing patience. My father was previously a ,PIC, physician in Chief of one of the california facilities. I had a small zit like blemish show up, and after it not going away naturally after a year, I went in for treatment. Having some medical background and knowledge I asked for a referral to a dermatologist. I was told that first I had to take a month regiment of antibiotics. I took the regiment with no change. I then went in for a secondary appointment and still denied my referral and had the blemish frozen. Still, no relief from the condition, but was told that if it got bigger please contact us again for an appointment. I know am considering switching carriers after being with them for 30+ years. I feel as if I’m being brushed off and have never previously been denied service in the past. I’m not sure what is happening to kaiser, but I am becoming throughly disgusted with be brushed off and disregarded. Do I need to develop a larger issue before they will treat me....that speaks volumes to me, when kaiser used to be known as the best preventative treatment carrier locally. I believe that that reputation no longer holds true and that they have now started rationing care due to the impact of increased enrollment over the last 5 years. This for me after growing up with kaiser has made me question their ability to practice quality medicine. I will make one last attempt to switch facilities and Doctors, before I abandon them for a different coverage and different plan.

Andrew

April 28th, 2019 Rosemead, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The customer service and the nurses are overall professional, but I'm not impressed with the doctors there. I've been having the very same problem but non of them are able to give me a diagnosis because they don't listen. My primary doctor said I've allergy, but the allergy doctor said I don't have allergy. I asked my primary doctor to let me see dermatologist and he got mad at me. When I got to see a dermatologist, he said I don't have any problem without really looking at me. I'm still sick after months of visiting doctors at kaiser. I don't know what cause the sickness and no doctors there can tell me. A nurse there whispered to me said I should ask my primary doctor to refer me to infectious disease specialist, but when I asked him he refused. When I emailed him the pictures of my skin condition, he doesn't even reply my email. Kaiser doctors are very disappointing. Stay away if you can.

Angela

April 25th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pharmacy: drug formulary complaint I am not sure who is in charge of my health, my doctor or my insurance? Kaiser recently required all members to use a Kaiser Pharmacy or Mail-Order Pharmacy instead of a local pharmacy. Gee thanks, that was helpful! Now that my prescription is in the mail-order pharmacy there is no one to talk to when my insurance (Kaiser) decided to no longer cover a medication. "It is no longer on our formulary". It has been a month and I still do not have this prescription, or any other that might take care of the condition. My doctor has prescribed a new prescription, has jumped through all of their "authorization hoops" and still nothing. DO NOT USE KAISER IF YOUR HEALTH DEPENDS ON YOUR MEDICATIONS! My medical condition does not just sit on "hold" while Kaiser tries to unscramble a formulary or approve my Dr's prescription. The system is broken. I can only thank God that my condition is not life or death- I have a feeling others are dying- PLEASE FIX THIS PART OF YOUR PROCESS/ SYSTEM!

B

April 17th, 2019 Oakland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Upon going for a PCP exam, and requesting a referral to a dermatologist, I was told no. Rather than do a comprehensive exam, she cheekily said, "oh you look healthy and I guess I'll get my stethoscope and listen to your heart." I then waiting a hour and a half for blood work. TWO MONTHS later I have a suspicious mole and have to obtain a referral. I am awaiting the phone appointment. I am very disappointed and want to ensure that no one experiences this insensitive and unprofessional behavior again.

Mimi

April 10th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser Insurance is great as long as you’re a healthy adult but it is COMPLETE TRASH if you need specialized care that’s not offered in their network or have kids that need urgent pediatric care. If your kids get sick and need to go to a pediatric ER or hospital (WHICH IS HIGHLY LIKELY BECAUSE KIDS GET SICK) even if you first take your kid to Kaiser’s urgent care/ER and get transferred/referred to a pediatric hospital under the advisement of a KAISER doctor, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE OUT OF NETWORK charges for that pediatric hospital. I was under the impression that our ER co-pay was $250 but instead I’m paying 3x as much because Kaiser does not have a pediatric ER department and does not cover out of network care despite their doctor sending us out of network. Thank goodness my baby did not need an overnight stay or further intensive care because even though we have KAISER insurance and pay $600 in monthly premiums, we would go bankrupt. Healthcare in the US is trash overall but while we’re still under this system, I will be switching health insurance for my family ASAP (at open enrollment or if we get find new jobs, whichever comes first.)

Mitt Kom

April 10th, 2019 Norwalk, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser Pediatric Endocrinologist doctors in Downey, Ca is the worst doctors ever seen for kid that has a type I diabetes. Those doctors are unprofessional, inappropriate behavior, making demeaning statement , accusing my kid for lying and changing on the Blood sugar meter level which it can not changed, very disrespectful to my kid. Doctors are suppose to help and care for their patient, however, those doctors have not. We have changed 3 different doctors already, all doctors having the same attitudes , unprofessional behaviors. We do not recommend Kaiser for all your specialty need, stay away.

Manny

April 8th, 2019 Tacoma, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The most pathetic service, you talk to their medical stuff and they look at you like you are from another planet and try to guess what is happening to you, it's more like they hire any body for a minimum wage and use them as doctors, you better off going to a pharmacy and try over the counter medications it will be a lot cheaper and safer than trying this guys, they may end up killing you or get you even worse.

Jodi

April 8th, 2019 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ONE STAR is still to good for them. They will make you come in for office visit after office visit keep paying that copay but nothing gets resolved. KP refuses to cover my Ajovy (for migraine) shots. They want me to come in for blood work, images, all kinds of stuff and each time is a copay. All is done and they still deny the medication. They will try to force you to try any and all other medications. Waste of time!! I paid to see a "specialist" which is a specialist copay price but you don't really get to see a specialist you see a nurse practitioner. Now the NP says, when i come back in next time I will see the MD but I have no idea why I am going back in...nothing was resolved this visit. KP is the worst EVER!!! I will never make the mistake to be a Kaiser member again. January can't get here quick enough.

Allen G Helm

March 29th, 2019 Arlington, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started seeing a cardiologist in April of 18 and i was diagnosed with afib so i was scheduled for a pace maker as i started taking meds to lower my heart rate and i have had numerous appointments since then. I have no complaints with Kaiser Permanente, the nurses and medical teams are great and through. I had an appointment today and was very pleased with the results, I am very happy with Kaiser.

KarenSEDH

March 21st, 2019 El Dorado Hills, CA

Since July 2012 I have had a P. O. Box in El Dorado Hills, CA. Evidently, a person who was or used to be a patient of Kaiser before me had this same box number. I have called Kaiser many times and returned mail, noting there is no such person as Lee L. R. at my box number. I've been told that I can open a complaint file to begin possibly removing this name. I laughed at the absurdity. The mailings are not billings, but promotional pieces for services offered. If Kaiser refuses to engage in common sense, could they not do a paid search for this gentleman for an updated address?

Trung Tran

March 18th, 2019 Anaheim, CA

This is the worse Insurance company I've seen in my life, Rip off, shady, dishonest on billing, bad customer service. Don't go with Kaiser Permanente if you don't want to be ripped off all of your money.

Amy

March 18th, 2019 Newnan, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They advertise their customers rarely need a dr referral to see a specialist. I got a referral from my family dr to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible. My Dr's office told me Kaiser was a pain to get referrals processed. They have to fax the form from the dr to Kaiser, then Kaiser calls me sometime after they received the fax. They said in order to be covered for the psychiatrist I needed to speak with a kaiser referral rep, and that I needed to schedule an appt to have a phone call. Their first appt was a month away. One month later when they called, the rep asked me 300 redundant questions. Questions that had already been addressed my actual dr, After the 10 minute questioning, the rep informed they would cover me to see a psychiatrist and another rep will be contacting me sometime next week or the next to schedule an appt with one. So not only, is a dr referral not enough, you have to be interrogated and asked medical questions from an insurance rep. I'm still waiting on my call to schedule my appt. Another incident with Kaiser: after seeing my family dr to get some prescriptions refilled I was shocked to receive a $611 bill from my family dr, Kaiser covered nothing. When I called Kaiser they told me I needed a referral from my family dr to see the dr I saw. I had to tell them that she is my family dr. I chose her off Kaisers website when I signed up for their insurance. The rep said he did see that she was my family dr and said he was reprocessing the claim. That was a 45 days ago. They still haven't reprocessed it. I hate kaiser. Worst insurance I have ever had.

Kristen Weidman

March 15th, 2019 Broomfield, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There is nothing quick about their urgent care. I have been here with a sick 8 year old for over three hours. It doesn’t even seem busy. At Kaiser you are a number, at best. The doctor (NP) called my son the wrong name several times. His name is Carson, it’s not a hard name to pronounce. We have now been in the pharmacy for an hour and they called us up to the counter 20 minutes ago asking for a weight for my son to dose the medication when he just had a prescription filled two weeks ago. Do they not have his weight on file???? Always an awful experience at Kaiser, but this really puts the icing on the cake.

Ana Rafik

February 15th, 2019 Falls Church, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am sick with Asthma came to get an inhaler they can NOT get me an inhaler until Tiesday 5 days from today im Dying!!!!!

Erin

February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve had Kaiser Permanente for four years. It’s an excellent insurance with great coverage for our family. The cost of insurance is affordable compared to many other insurances. Their customer service representatives are excellent and knowledgeable in providing information about coverage and answering all our questions.

Brandie Rudy

February 13th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Kaiser Permanente insurance. I had this coverage when my first two children were born. It is so simple one bill for multiple services. I wish all insurance companies worked like Kaiser. They make sure their customers have quality care and simplify the process of billing to make it so easy especially after adding a new baby to the mix.

Debbie Aston

February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

when we lived in California and had kaiser. We had a great experience with them. they were affordable and he had great health coverage. I loved my doctors and would have them if they offered health coverage in Utah.

Noriko Johnson

February 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always able to see a Dr and rarely have to wait good Doctors and convenient. Was great for my family I wish they had it where I live now

Mackenzie Taylor

February 6th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent, but definitely messy processes. Extremely hard to get thru to a real person in your doctor office. Always routed to a call center. Long waits for med fills. Short appointments. I like the app.

Mandy

February 1st, 2019 Buena Park, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Takes a month to see a specialist for your problem. I go to a same day appointment to get care right away and get scolded for seeing different doctors and that I should stick with one treating doctor. How can i get care from one treating doctor if an appointment is a month away and I need medication now? I’m looking at other health plans through my work. Take my advice if you will listen, choose a different network.

Sergi

January 31st, 2019 South Pasadena, CA

Long waiting times. Repeated lines to make you think you move. Low ratio of doctors per patient. Most good doctors are oberbooked. Rates have increased for 2019 significantly. Right now, the difference with a better Anthem Blue plan is much less than used to be. I am In Pasadena, Los Angeles.

Rick Galliher

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best medical care available - billing could be a little more careful

Going Out-of-Network for Good Service

January 14th, 2019 Jonesboro, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overtime the quality of service and the availability of doctors are in decline. The medication available in their pharmacy is of inferior quality and not as effective as those you buy from othe pharmacies (Walmart, CVS, Kroger). You may file a complaint with members services but they don’t respond or provide a determination of your case. Their facility in Morrow Georgia has undergone extensive renovation and expansion, however it is virtually impossible to get an appointment. Pretty state of the Art, yet useless because you can’t get an appointment to see a doctor. Come next open season I will be taking my money to a health care provider that actually provides healthcare.

Jerry

January 14th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had group ins with Kaiser for many yrs. I use to pay 20.00 only for Dr. Visits. Last couple yrs prices went way up. I got sick and it costed me 125.00 to see Dr. Plus 75.00 for xray. Have to pay a 6,000 deductable first. Their billing depart also has become unfair and even corrupt at times. I recent left kaiser for western health. Same money I have 20.00 copays to all drs. And free exrays of all kinds. A lower deductable and i dont pay towards it unless i go hospital stays or outpatient surgery and even then it is low. I am glad i left kaiser do to these issues

David Padilla

January 10th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They dont want to diagnose anything, only prescribe drugs. Whent in for allergy tests and got nothing but epipien training and a plethora of prescriptions and no tests were done

Dasha Directo

January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser has been my primary health insurance company since I was little. It's the only one I really trust. There are great fitness programs that comes with Kaiser.

Godot

January 7th, 2019 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm a lawyer and I obviously don't do drugs or even drink, as I told my new Kaiser doc. She ordered a bunch of tests for a smallish health problem I was having. There was no emergency. As I only learned accidentally, after the test, she had ordered my urine tested for drugs and alcohol--without my consent. To make matters worse, she was evasive when I asked her what the test was for. I had to order the test results for confirmation that the test was done. (Ironically, the test results were too private for member services to give me on the phone, but my bodily integrity was not private enough for Kaiser not to invade it with a nonconsensual test.) Yes, the drug/alcohol test was negative. Now, so is my relationship with "my" doctor. When I was having asthma problems and shortness of breath another doc--Dr. Minimizer I called him--had me walk up a flight of stairs and reported I seemed fine, as in "it's all in your head, dude. No breathing problem. Did you pay the copay? Bye." After that, a friend suggested I use a cheap and simple lung measuring device, which I did. It showed my breathing capacity was at about 75% of normal. After starting asthma meds I felt almost immediate relief. That's the kind of treatment one gets with a $1,000 per month policy. Your body is actually Kaiser's, to be processed by their grindingly impersonal "protocol" machine invented by stat-churning bureaucrats who somehow seem to leave just enough to pay $4.7 million in 2017 for the CEO's salary--of a nonprofit. Join and you become a Kaiserian subject to rationed health care but unrationed executive salaries. Disagree with Kaiser? They'll do everything in their power to grind you down, firing up their CYA machine, circling the bureaucratic and lawyerly wagons and requiring you file an appeal, which they'll then probably deny. Maybe if you're lucky, you can get your state regulator involved. Good luck with that as you wait for six months for something to happen. The important thing is not that you survive; it's that if there's a problem, Kaiser not have to pay a dime for malpractice. After so many bad experiences, I don't trust Kaiser at all. Literally one of ten doctors I've seen at Kaiser was any good. I cringe when I hear their ads about working for your health. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid like the plague. And if you're already there at Kaiser, ask your doctor point blank what incentives he/she has to give or deny care, do operations, or carry a certain patient load. But there's a catch: in what's supposed to be the country that is the shining beacon to the world, practically all the health insurers are as bad as Kaiser. But at least with the others you'll get relatively independent docs who have probably only cut a few deals with the insurer to limit your care so that they can get access to the large patient base, and indoctrinated by the "one-protocol-fits-all and we are the greatest" Kaiser myth on a daily basis. Volume pays, for Microsoft and for health insurers, just not for you, and especially not at Kaiser.

xyz999

December 31st, 2018 Santa Maria, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Recently, Kaiser Permanente Mental Health Professionals on strike to protest the long wait for patients who need help for mental health care in the Bay Area, because they were under staffs. But Kaiser claimed this is all about pay raise issue. In my personal experience, it took me 6 weeks to a see a mental health care specialist. I believe Kaiser is under staffs and underserved their patients who seek help in this field.

BH

December 11th, 2018 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaiser is discriminating against people with disabilities and is Horrible ins for disabled people with chronic pain. I've done every surgery and injections recommended by Kaiser, including getting a spine stimulator. My pain has gone down throughout the years, however my meds get me thru the rest. I understand the opioid epidemic and the abuse of the meds. I personally have never taken more than prescribed, ever lost a script or medication or ever requested more than my monthly allotment. As a matter of fact I've tapered myself down over the last several years on my own, because I can't stand being on them, however my body says differently. I get to the point where I can't take another step or I have been in one position for too long and can't rotate without extreme pain shooting thru my back and legs. I go to the gym regularly, stretch daily and have done pain classes and meditation. I'm well educated on my own health. Kaiser DOES NOT offer pain specialists, but plenty of surgeons that can't fix pain. Kaiser primary doc referred me to see an outside pain specialist, however upper management DENIED the referral, stating that their own staff will take over my care. I've seen over 10 doctors in Kaiser that still won't "take over". When I confronted my PCP A. Chudik about the DENIAL OF THE REFERRAL, her response was a referral to go to yet another class to "cope with the pain" instead of fighting for my care. My chart is very clear as to the MRI's Ct scans, xrays, doctors i've seen, procedures that have been completed, etc. so there's no surprise as to the legitimacy of my health. I understand if A. Chudik does not want to handle higher amounts of medication, but her job is to find the doctor that is. There has been plenty of opportunity for A. Chudik to help with getting the referral to go thru, she just doesn't want to take the time to do it. Maybe that's her way of washing her hands of a patient that needs a little extra care besides a 'simple cold'. She is a horrible advocate for patients and is in the wrong line of work, if this is the extent of her abilities. Yes I've taken action regarding appeals and begging, now my quality of life is being punished by Kaiser without any signs of relief in sight and any medication is out of pocket @ over $500 per script even though I'm covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Roberta C.

December 6th, 2018 Mableton, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm in my 60's and have been covered by Kaiser for almost 20 years. I can think of only 2 occasions when I received substandard treatment, and it was related to Kaiser referrals to locations outside of their own facilities. I am very cost conscious and budget-oriented. I don't like to play Russian roulette with health care costs because I can't afford it. I need to know covered/uncovered expenses beforehand, so I can make good decisions about discretionary care. Kaiser health plan details are laid out in an understandable manner that manages my expectations. The only missing ingredient is how much a procedure costs to calculate my portion of the expense. I can call Kaiser to get the info, or some procedure expenses can be accessed through their member web site after login. Kaiser is continually upgrading their computer systems for members to access more of their health info on-line. Some of the things I've done in their system is make an appointment, emailed my doctor, checked test results (blood test results are generally posted within 24 hours, so I can see the results even before the doctor!), ordered prescription refillls , etc. I like Kaiser because "rooftops" come with their health plans. Their closest location to my home is their Cumberland facility. I don't have to worry about in-network or out-of-network. Everybody at their multiple Atlanta metro Kaiser building locations are employed by Kaiser, which translates to in-network care. I don't have to shop for any doctors because Kaiser employs primary doctors, specialty doctors, and even vision doctors. I just wish they had a dentist!!! Although I've never had to deal with a serious illness, I do have a couple of non-life threatening chronic conditions that need minimal attention. Whenever I experience an acute illness, I call Kaiser and they get me in to see their doctor or intern the same day. If unable to do so, I always have the 24/7 option to walk in to their new Town Center emergency care in Kennesaw. It's setup like a hospital. I used it once on a weekend. Each exam room includes a hospital bed, so if necessary, they can keep you overnight. I think they are equipped to handle all emergencies except for surgery. I have confidence in the Kaiser doctors I've encountered and feel like they give me excellent care. Whenever I visit, they document their diagnosis and care instructions on their computer during my exam. When I leave, they print a copy for me, so I don't have to remember what they said and all the things I need to do to remedy my illness! (They are a little pushy on preventive services, but they do respect my choices in that regard.) I've observed positive changes in Kaiser resulting in continual efficiencies. Appointment check-in is quicker with each visit to the point where last month, I used a kiosk to check-in. The staff is friendly and service-oriented and very conscientious about "wait times". It's time for me to make a choice for 2019 health care coverage. The cost of Kaiser coverage for my situation (I've been buying through healthcare.gov ie the affordable care act) is substantially higher, which has put me in the shopping mode. I'm stymied by the PPO providers like Ambetter and Blue Cross regarding in-network/out-of-network. If I'm in an ambulance being rushed to the nearest hospital, I won't have control over "networks" and I don't want to go bankrupt over something outside of my control. Effective in 2018 Kaiser is using Emory Hospitals in their network. In the past Kaiser provided coverage at any emergency facility until it is feasible to transport me to "their" hospital. I'll need to recheck that element, as it is a valuable component, which will influence my 2019 coverage decision. Typing this review has been therapeutic in consolidating my thoughts about Kaiser. I didn't realize how much I appreciated them until I wrote this review. It sounds like I've talked myself into another year of Kaiser coverage, but will continue to research other options for a few days to be sure I've done all my homework. It has been most helpful for me to read reviews for other health care providers on this Best Company site, and I hope you get that same benefit from my review. I hope I live to see the day where everybody gets the same good care across the board without this painful annual process!

Dee Farquharson

December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really miss having Kaiser. Everything was in one location and it was SUPER convienent. I also didnt have to choose from doctors or wait to be seen (like i do now, since my new PCP isnt see "new patients" until 2019!) I also liked being able to send message to my doctors via the app and having my complete records located on the app as well.

Chase

November 30th, 2018 Decatur, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have experienced nothing but a bunch of chaos and confusion including lies from the staff and the customer service that schedule appointments. They assigned me a primary care physician and then midway through the year they switched it up to somebody who knew nothing about me l. And this doctor tried to change all of my medications because of his own personal experiences that he had in the past from someone at his church. Then on top of that I needed to have surgery for my hand and I gave them ample time to have it scheduled but only to have them botched the scheduling up and now it’s almost a year later and I have had to deal with paying for the last two months. They will tell you anything! Please do not use Kaiser... find another carrier for your insurance Kaiser does not care!

Anthony Sgambati

November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Kaiser from day one. There is not system that is more connected to support all your health care needs. I have a choice, and I choose Kaiser, every time!

Kristie Sgambati

November 29th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a member of Kaiser my entire life. Our family has had to be hospitalized on several occasions, and we have had multiple serious surgeries. We love our Kaiser doctors, surgeons and nurses. From managing our bills to picking up prescriptions, there is no better system for our family's total care.

Katie Kearney

November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband currently has Kaiser through his work and it was been an awful experience. He was having medical concerns and he was told her needed to see a specialist. When he saw the specialist, they put him on a medication and told him to try it for a little while and see if things get better. A few months go by and things actually got worse! My husband called to go back in and they told him he could only see that same specialist and that he was booked out for over a month! So my husband is having serious issues and you make him wait over a month? During this waiting period, my husband went off the medication to see what would happen and come to find the medication was causing all the additional problems. So fast forward to when he sees the specialist again, he tells the specialist that the medication was causing his problems. The specialists answer? "Well this medication works for most people so I am going to subscribe it to you again and I recommend you just try it again." WHAT SPECIALIST SAYS THAT?? I could not believe he did that. What kind of doctors is Kaiser hiring? Needless to say, we are taking my husband off Kaiser at the end of the year and he is coming over to my insurance where he can see a real specialist.