Health Net Logo

Health Net

5.0

Health Net offers its members helpful wellness tools and a good selection of health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.

While Health Net offers good health insurance products, you should consider customer reviews before enrolling in a Health Net plan. While Health Net's total number of reviews on Best Company is low compared to others, it has not received many positive ones.

View Health Net Reviews

In 1979 Health Net, Inc. was founded and has since then operated under the underlying goal to make people feel comfortable, healthy, and secure.

Health Net has served over five million customers. As of 2015, the company was secured by the Centene Corporation and continues to run under its operation.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Group Insurance Available
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features

Types of Plans Offered

Here is one of Health Net's obvious strengths. This company doesn't limit itself to just one type of health plan. On the contrary, customers get to pick from various PPO plans (Preferred Provider Organization), HSPs (Health Care Service Plans), and HMO plans (Health Maintenance Organization).

The differences between HMO and PPO plans are the network coverage available. A PPO network offers better coverage for seeing an in-network provider but still offers some coverage for treatment received from out-of-network providers. If you want more provider organization flexibility, a PPO plan gives you more choice when choosing doctors to visit.

An HMO network has more limitations because it only offers coverage for in-network providers. HSP networks work similarly to PPO networks. Be sure that you understand the terms of your health insurance policy. Some plans require prior authorization for certain health care services or referrals to specialists. Understand these requirements before you enroll in a plan in case prior authorization is needed for a recommended procedure or medication.

Plans also have different premium costs and cost-sharing models. Pay attention to the premium, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit as you assess whether a plan is a good fit for your financial situation. Just because the premium is low does not mean that it's low-cost health insurance. Low premiums usually indicate higher out-of-pocket expenses.

Both Medicaid and Medicare are available, too. The insurance company offers Medicare Advantage and Medicare supplement plans (Medigap). Its Medicare Advantage plans are available in California, Oregon, and Washington. Health Net's Medicaid options are primarily available in California. These offerings mean that Health Net remains an option for you no matter your age, income, or family status.

The details of your benefits for any of these health plans are largely determined by your state, your health history, and your age. But the wonderful thing about shopping for a plan online is that, once you disclose your location, Health Net pulls up an easy-to-read list of available plans for you, complete with the prices for deductibles, coinsurance, office visits, prescriptions, and maternity care if it applies.

Group Insurance Available

Health Net offers plans for large and small groups. These plans may not be available in every area Health Net serves, so be sure to check the website to see if Health Net is an option for your business.

If you're looking for small group health plans in Arizona, California, Oregon, or Washington, Health Net has some nice options. As an example, we'll look at what's available in California. You can choose an HMO or a PPO network. There are even HSP options and plans that include coverage for children's dentistry. Employers can also choose between two packages to offer their employees more choices when it comes to choosing a health plan. These packages have employee participation and employer contribution requirements.

Large group health plans are also available in Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington. Insurance policy options vary by state; however, you can find HMO and PPO networks. In some areas, you can tailor the network you offer with your plan. You can also offer plans with a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Health Reimbursement Account (HRA). These accounts can help your employees with out-of-pocket expenses for medical care they receive.

Group dental, vision, and acupuncture insurance coverage are also available from Health Net for both large and small groups.

Member Resources

Health Net provides its members with a member portal to monitor their claims and Health Net's Wellness Center. The Wellness Center is a customizable resource to support members' wellness.

Another resource that Health Net has is the member blog called Member Pulse. With a subscription to this, you can read articles about health and nutrition, the changing healthcare laws, how to maximize your member resources and more.

Members at Health Net can contact the company's customer service at any time of day, and there is a dedicated member phone number for their convenience. Between this, the member portal, and the mobile app (Health Net Mobile), Health Net members have more convenience and security in their health plans.

Unique Features

Even though Health Net has only been a subsidiary of the Centene Corporation since 2015, the company brings decades of experience to the table. Health Net is accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. It has several features that make it stand out among the crowd of companies asking for your insurance business.

One of these features is the Decision Power® Health and Wellness tool. This is a collection of resources that give members discounts on health products, connections with healthy living programs, and more. Members also have round-the-clock access to a nurse hotline. You can either call or live chat this nurse for medical questions that pop up about your health or your medical plan along the way.

The wellness tools also include health coaching, a Quit for Life® program (if you're trying to stop smoking), and savings on weight loss programs. You can use the Wellness Center on your member portal to track your personal health as well.

Health Net provides a mobile app and a tool to find a provider in the network to members as well. All of these perks are Health Net's customized way of helping customers feel healthier and more secure.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Poor Customer Reviews
  • Customer Service
  • Locations
  • Location-Based Information

Poor Customer Reviews

Health Net has recieved several negative reviews on Best Company. Reviewers mention difficulty having claims paid and conflicting information about coverage from customer service. Read Health Net reviews before purchasing insurance from this company.

Health Net points out that it takes customer service very seriously. Customers can contact the company via phone (including a member dedicated phone line), or by email. There's also a contact form you can fill out to ask a question or present a concern or comment. These are typical communication lines.

Health Net provides various phone numbers, business hours for these numbers, addresses, and a way to report fraud. But it doesn't spend much time inviting customers to its site. In some ways, you have to go looking to find a live chat tool, for example, and the company's view of customer service is mentioned in a long list of reasons to choose Health Net online. In these ways, the company is not so customer-focused, but the resources it offers members does suggest that Health Net wants customers to feel secure and healthy.

Locations

Possibly the biggest limiting factor here is the fact that Health Net is only available in three states — Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and California. Some plans like Medigap and Medicaid may only be available in California. If you live in one of these states, this company is an option for health insurance.

If not, then you'll need to find health care coverage from another insurance provider. This limits the company's customer base and network. If a Health Net plan is not available in your area, you'll need to consider other health insurers.

Potential clients from Arizona should be aware that Health Net offers health insurance coverage through Ambetter in Arizona. It's a good idea to research Ambetter more before enrolling in one of its health plans.

Location-Based Information

On a minor note, you might find the company website frustrating to navigate unless you allow it to detect your location. Until you disclose you zip code, with every new web page on the company's website will come to a pop-up box asking you to give your location. Why? Because the plans offered by Health Net vary with each state. This is an understandable factor for health plans, but it would be nice if you could access some universal information about these health plans without specifying your location.

The Bottom Line

Because it has such a wide selection of health plans, and because it has decades of experience and lots of member resources, Health Net is a recommended company for health insurance. These benefits are major appeals for lots of customers, and the member resources and wellness tools provided by the company continually work toward customer satisfaction.

That being said, Health Net obviously has a big flaw, and that's location. If you don't live in one of the four states it caters to, then enrollment in one of its plans is not possible. If you do, however, Health Net has lots of options for you.

Call our recommended rep over at Health Net below.

1.5

John Eugene, OR

I just started with HealthNET, offered through my employer. I struggled through the website account process. Why do the answers to my security questions need to be 8 characters or more? What if my pet's name/favorite team name/mother's maiden name is only a few characters? Not well thought out... Once "signed in", the website organization is confusing and offers many links that do not provide any valuable information. I tried to find my plan benefits and was informed I would have something sent to me in 7-10 days!?! What is the point of having a link for information on your website if you do not provide the info? Hopefully in a week or so I will have better information about my health plan...

Steve McGuffey Fontana, CA

Medicare plan. Confusing system. Give you a 4 inch book that is hard to read. Their online search for urgent care and hospitals is hard to use. Customer service is confused, saying I don't have a plan there, keeps transferring me over and over and over asking the same information every time. Do chose these people please.

P D San Francisco, CA

Generally good at approvals, but too much delay in the process. Their network is unclear. They also seem to do a lot of outreach calls with a purpose I can't fathom.

Dan Lucerne Valley, CA

This company totally sucks, I advise you stay away from them at all cost, even if it means going without insurance. It is almost impossible to pay your bill online, I constantly get locked out of my account, I enter my member ID as it is on my card and it doesn't work, I take two numbers off and it works. Tried to pay by credit card and because my billing ID isn't the same as my mailing ID, the transaction doesn't go through. Then I have to wait on the phone for half an hour to talk to somebody. This company is horrible, the premiums are super expensive, it's almost impossible to see a doctor, they tell me to go to urgent care. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie Scottsdale, AZ

Document. Document. Document. Dealing with Health Net is an exercise in patience. The call center reps will tell you anything and everything to get you off the phone. The website lacks accurate information. Good luck finding forms for claim submittals. Health Net does not track out of pocket expenses. As far as they are concerned - you never, ever met your deductible. Sometimes bills are paid...sometimes not. Be warned and be prepared to manage your insurance relationship like a Fortune 100 company.

David Plummer

I SUGGEST BESTCOMPANY NOTE THAT THE SAME COMPANY APPEARS ON THEIR SITE IN MULTIPLE FORMS. AS BESTCOMPANY OBJECTS TO USER POSTING SIMILAR REMARKS THROUGH THE INDUSTRY, BESTCOMPANY SHOULD NOTE ALL THE DUPLICATIONS OF THE COMPANIES. AMBETTER, HEALTHNET, AND CENTENE ARE ALL THE SAME COMPANY!!!!! I have posted a similar review on Ambetter Insurance due to the many name changes this company has engaged in recently. The parent corporation, Centene Corp., is deliberately hiding behind all the different names. Since they make it a point to keep changing names and none of the trade names match the parent corporation, one can determine this is deliberate! Because of the obvious collusion in the health insurance industry, Ambetter from HealthNet was the only Health Exchange insurance provider in Maricopa County, Arizona for 2018. This company isn't worth ink it takes to print their name. With completely incompetent customer service, completely incompetent IT services, completely incompetent billing processes, completely incompetent claims processing, the only thing they have going for them is that ACA didn't have a 100% PUBLIC OPTION! If I could arrange it, I would drive this company into insolvency and force their liquidation and put all their executives in jail. I have been forced to file multiple complaints to regulators in the states of Washington and Arizona and the Federal Government in Washington, DC. Attempting to call them was a total waste of time and also indicated that they have a widespread customer service problem as I was on hold for 30 minutes before finally giving up with their call center. So I called their corporate office at 314-725-4477 to escalate the issue to their executive offices. Given the pattern and history with this company, I would encourage EVERYONE to skip calling the call centers and start calling the executive office. Further, if so inclined, skip calling altogether and just start submitting every complaint, no matter how big or small, to your state's Insurance Commission and Attorney General. Make this company answer for their incompetency to government lawyers. As of December 2018, I have 4 outstanding claims that have all been denied repeatedly with a false basis for denial. The PCP that they paid in several claims in the middle of year, remains unpaid for claims in the early and late parts of the year. It appears that being in-network is associated with some random number generator as there is no consistent response from this fraudulent company. Claims being denied 5 and even 7 times is not a failure of the provider but a failure of the insurance company. CONSUMER WARNING: Retain Ambetter at your own risk!

Ron Enna Happy Valley, OR

On February 19, 2018, I was hospitalized in Mexico with Dehydration and lower intestinal issues. They would not accept my HealthNet Med. Advantage coverage and I had to pay out of pocket. On February 26, I first started requesting reimbursement for my expenses. I have talked to no fewer than 10 service representatives and specifically with the Resolutions Department. Supposedly, the Claims Supervisor was requested to expedite my claim. It is now June 12 and I am no closer to having this resolved. Something is serious wrong here. I can imagine other members with much larger expenses suffering a financial crisis. I am very disappointed with HealthNet of Oregon. Ron Enna Portland Oregon

Marie Simpson San Francisco, CA

Health Net will go to any length to avoid authorization and payment of claims. Health Net has a history of delaying tactics In 2017, I had a reoccurrence of Stage 4 ovarian cancer. I received all my medical care at Stanford Women’s Cancer Center. In April 2017, I was prescribed a newly FDA approved drug, Zejula. Health Net did everything possible to deny coverage. The medical team at Stanford spent endless hours providing medical documentation regarding the appropriateness and urgency of getting this medication. (Stanford said Health Net was the ONLY company that engaged in these delaying tactics). After two months and threats of lawsuits, HealthNet finally agreed to pay for this life saving medication. HealthNet plays a waiting game hoping the patient will die, thus avoiding paying for the prescribed therapy. As a business owner, we cancelled HealthNet as an option for our employees. BOTTOM LINE: STAY AWAY FROM HEALTHNET-THEY HAVE A LONG HISTORY OF SUCH DISPICABLE DELAYING PRACTICES.

Scott Sederholm Costa Mesa, CA

I had a stem cell transplant in 2015, because I have multiple myeloma. I had to travel to Scottsdale, AZ to get the transplant. (I live in Tucson.) I was told by my transplant coordinator Stephen Dahlstrom that I was pre-approved for up to $3000 for food, lodging and travel for the transplant. I had to stay in a hotel for a month, and that alone cost more than the $3000. It is now June 9th of 2017, and I have sent in copies of my receipts over and over, have called them on the phone, have faxed them several times, and just today, after calling for probably the 20th time, I found out that they denied my claim because they "don't cover lodging expenses" . What a load of crap! Why was I told they did in the first place? I am very very disappointed in the level of service with Health Net.

Laura Rangel

Had to hire a health care advocate to get my son's intensive care bills paid. It's going to be a year since my son's hospitalization and we are still dealing with loose ends. Also we wrote and faxed a letter saying we were no longer going to be with Health Net and of course according to them, they never received it. It's going to be a year since we faxed/wrote that cancellation letter and we were still fighting it. Just to get health net out of our lives, we finally just paid the one month that we were charged, though not our fault, they can't find anything. Don't get me started on that member service line.

E Badal San Marcos, CA

Avoid this organization (of crooks) at all costs! Our company's account was canceled because they claimed to have received a late payment. The payment was issued on time and I have no control over the speed of mail. The check was dated in accordance with the terms on the account. They then charged a $100 fee to reinstate our account. On top of all this, I had to spend the better part of a work day on the phone calling 6 different phone numbers and talking to 8 different people, all of whom were ornery and unpleasant. Combine this with the other reviews about how they won't pay bills, and you've got an organization more crooked than Congress.

Mareesa Hoglund Oakley, CA

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE IF CHOOSING HEALTHNET. Research their reviews and you will be validated in knowing that they are the worst health insurance company. They will deny paying even though you have coverage and pay a high premium and have for forever. Their customer service is awful, you wont get help from someone, your calls returned, questions answered etc. The worst part is they will try loop hole every way to not pay what you re eligible for.

Max Baker Sherwood, OR

Health net just won't cover what they claim to cover and are totally useless. Why pay a premium for nothing? My dentist bills them for exactly the amount they claim to pay and they reject it. Health Net refuses to pay for normal teeth care which consists of 2 cleanings, 1 exam, and 1 set of xrays per year while still accepting the premium payment. I discontinue with them on the next possible Monday.

ronald waddell Salem, OR

My experience with health net has been they deny coverage for everything the first time requested. I am a diabetic and recently got a scanner and sensors to monitor blood sugar. The company paid for the sensors but not the scanner. I know they know one is useless without the other. I paid for the scanner out of pocket because it is a good investment in my health care. Apparently, something health net doesn't seem to think is a worthwhile investment.

Donald Imbler

Often frustrated. Call Center takes forever, and most reps incompetent. Website slow, tedious, often does not work. Sometimes I finally get someone who can help me or answer my questions' But not often :-(

Kurt Wilde Milton, FL

Their Customer Service is horrible. I've been calling repeatedly about the same claim and swear I'm getting the run around. One person tells me one thing, another tells me something altogether. On one occasion they swear a provider is under contract then another says it isn't. All they seem to be able to do is read random information off a computer screen.

Brandon Seattle, WA

Contacted the insurance company about coverage twice about a program and they said I was covered then when the bill came they retracted their statement and now I am stuck with the bill. The customer service is extraordinary shady and a bunch of liars

Julie Martinez Mesa, AZ

The plans that they offer are expensive and we had to submit claims to them more than one time in order for the claims to get processed.

David Plummer

Poor customer service, but this company no longer stands on its own. Acquired by Centene Corp and renamed as Ambetter. Service is non-existent.

Jami Schmieding Mesa, AZ

I used to have this insurance and always had payment issues. I would not recommend base off of my experience.

Lynda Pesquera

Bad incorrect information, phones don't work