Ambetter insurance specializes in health insurance plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace in twelve states. These plans are also sometimes called Obamacare plans. Ambetter health plans are operated by the Centene Corporation. If you're looking for another kind of plan or don't live in an Ambetter service area, you'll need to consider other health insurers.

report_problem

Attention: Ambetter is a very unpopular health insurance company.

It has received a 1.4/5 star rating from reviews left on Best Company. Roughly 88 percent of the Ambetter reviews on Best Company gave a 1-star rating. Complaints against Ambetter include poor customer service, difficulty with pre-authorization, and high costs for limited coverage. Most customers do not recommend buying healthcare coverage from this insurance company.

View Ambetter Reviews and Complaints

Ambetter health insurance's covered services include preventative and emergency care, therapy, behavioral health help, medications, maternity, and hospitalization. It is an on-exchange health insurance option in the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Health Insurance Marketplace plans offer comprehensive health insurance coverage. For health plans to be on the Marketplace, they must be a qualified health plan that covers the essential health benefits listed in the Affordable Care Act.

To enroll in Ambetter insurance, you need to apply during Open Enrollment. The Open Enrollment period for 2020 healthcare coverage runs from November 1, 2019 to December 15, 2019. If you missed the enrollment period, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period after December 15, 2019 if you have a Qualifying Life Event.

The Good

• Health Plan Options
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • My Health Pays™
  • Dental and Vision Coverage

Health Plan Options

If you're looking to get an Ambetter plan, you can view their health plans by first selecting the state you live in and then selecting the type of health plan tier you're most interested in. From there, your options open up to several different plans with varying prices and benefits.

Ambetter Health Insurance Marketplace plan options include: Ambetter Essential Care (Bronze Plan), Ambetter Balanced Care (Silver Plan), and Ambetter Secure Care (Gold Plan).

Each plan offers insurance coverage for the essential health benefits listed in the Affordable Care Act, but the cost-sharing rules for medical expenses are different for each tiered plan option.

Members with Ambetter Essential Care pay lower premiums but have higher out-of-pocket expenses.

Ambetter Balanced Care, the Silver Plan, offers higher premiums and a lower out-of-pocket limit.

Ambetter Secure Care has higher monthly premiums, but the lowest out-of-pocket expenses of the three plan types.

For specific coverage and cost information, including the deductible, out-of-pocket expenses, and premium costs, you'll need to work with Ambetter directly. Depending on your income, you may qualify for a tax credit subsidy on your monthly premium.

Member Resources

Each Ambetter member has access to an online portal through which they can make all of their payments, view healthcare plan benefits, and take care of logistics like obtaining a member ID card. The member portal offers extra features, too, such as providing reminders for members when they are due for another doctor's visit or allowing them to take a health risk assessment to determine which steps they can take to live healthier.

Members can track their claims 24/7 through the online portal, as well as connect with member services at any hour of the day.

The subsidy estimator in the online account also helps members see how much they would receive for reimbursement for a treatment with their benefits. If you qualify, the subsidy lowers what you pay for the monthly premium charge.

Unique Features

Ambetter provides more than just logistical tools for members. Many of the extra features it offers also send the message that Ambetter wants members to get healthier and stay healthier. These tools include a 24/7 nurse hotline that members can access for questions and medical needs.

There are also health-promoting programs to support members with dealing with behavioral health and maternity and newborn care. Ambetter offers 24/7 Nurse Advice Line and integrated health management to enhance members ability to get the most out of their medical care. Ambetter also offers telehealth access with some of its plans. With telehealth, members can have phone or video access to in-network providers for non-emergencies.

My Health Pays™

My Health Pays™ is Ambetter's rewards program to provide incentives for members to live healthier with better habits. You can earn money for taking a survey provided by Ambetter, getting a flu shot, or having your wellness exam, and this money can go toward your next premium. Members can be reimbursed for gym membership payments as well. This rewards program promotes health and well-being among Ambetter members. While this program is great, it's only available in some of the states Ambetter services.

Dental and Vision Coverage

Dental and vision coverage are available with Ambetter, but the benefits and availability of each are entirely specific to the state you live in and the type of health plan you've signed up for. Dental benefits, for example, is not available in Texas, but vision insurance is. Dental coverage includes exams, cleanings, and screenings, overall, and vision benefits include yearly eye exams and glasses or contacts. Those seeking vision coverage and dental benefits in addition to health insurance can find options through Ambetter.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Poor Customer Reviews
  • Access to Plan Information
  • Limited Service Areas
  • No Mobile App

Poor Customer Reviews

Ambetter has received an overwhelming number of 1-star reviews on Best Company. These Ambetter reviews mention difficulty getting medication and treatments approved for coverage, issues with claims that were difficult to resolve, frustration with customer service, and difficulty finding an in-network provider.

With such a high number of 1-star reviews, you'll be better served choosing another company if you can.

Access to Plan Information

It's somewhat difficult to access specific information about the types of health plans Ambetter has. Its website primarily just explains the metal tiers (gold plan, silver plan, and bronze plan) as well as how essential health benefits are covered by every plan.

To find out what kinds of plans these are, such as Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), not to mention what prices and benefits you qualify for (like out-of-pocket expenses, copayments, deductibles, covered services specifics,and if you need prior authorization for certain medical services), you'll have to contact a representative.

Upfront, it's important to know that Ambetter is part of the Health Insurance Marketplace (HIM). It's Centene's option for HIM plans, which are intended for people who don't have health insurance and maybe don't qualify for typical plans.

Ambetter only offers Marketplace plans. If you are looking for another kind of insurance plan, like a short-term health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid, you'll need to find another insurance carrier.

Limited Service Areas

Ambetter plans are available in a some states. These include Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. If you don't live in any of these states, then Ambetter may not be an option for you.

Even if you do reside in one of the states they service, make sure to check the location of their in-network providers (e.g. a primary care physician, specialist, etc.) for your state to ensure they have an in-network provider near you.

No Mobile App

Unlike many of its competing insurance companies, Ambetter doesn't have a mobile app. Some companies provide this for enrollees to access their accounts right from their phones, making communication and logistics much easier. Ambetter hasn't provided this yet, making account management slightly less convenient than with other companies.

The Bottom Line

Ambetter should be somewhat of a last resort when choosing an affordable health insurance company. While its plans all have decent health coverage for preventative care and some vision and dental benefits, it is difficult to access full details of its various plans. Data points such as the annual maximum out-of-pocket limit and co-pays are difficult to find on the website.

Plan cost and deductible levels vary among plans. Availability depends on location. Cost is also affected by the number of people on the plan and some demographic information, like age.

While Ambetter's plans offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, it's important to review customer reviews to get a sense of Ambetter's quality — health plans, value, cost, and customer service — and compare Ambetter to other health insurance companies before making a final decision about signing up for an Ambetter plan.

Call our recommended rep over at Ambetter below.

1.4

Kenna

October 24th, 2018 Denton, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give a 0 if possible. My insurance was dropped because my husband started Medicare. When he called to remove himself, there was no mention that my and my two dependent children’s coverage would be cancelled. When we found out it was canceled, we got myself set up on a new policy. They never mentioned that they were not going to still use the same credit card for the payments, so then my insurance was invalid for a little while because no payment has been made. When I found out about this, I contacted the insurance again and added the credit card back onto the insurance for payment. I then received when we found out it was canceled, we got myself set up on a new policy. They never mentioned that they were not going to still use the same credit card for the payment, so then my insurance was in valid for a little while because no payment had been made. When I found out about this, I contacted the insurance again and add a credit card back onto the insurance for payment. I then received two bills - dated one day apart. I don’t even know where they pulled the numbers from her for the bill and there was no explanation. The amount was over twice what my policy is. The bi I don’t even know where they pulled the numbers from for the bill and there was no explanations. The amount was over twice words my policy is. When Bill was dated a day earlier than the first and said that the first bill had not been paid so there was a penalty. Medicine that cost me zero dollars just a month ago now cost me $24. Now when I called two days in a row to find out why I had to pay for this prescription and why I receive these bills, their whole system is down and they can’t figure out anything.

FAISAL

October 24th, 2018 Des Plaines, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company ever !!!! They employ people who doesnt know anything. they put you on hold and transfer to anyone who is not part of Ambetter. like in my case they transfered me after waiting long to any Housing company. Guys dont waste your time. they screwed you. for 8-9 months they keep on telling that we send claimed amount to hospital and after 8 months they said you have to pay them because deductable doesnt meet. I was very upset. Even you will not get response for your grievance. I had acknowledgement letter stating you should get reply in 60 days, almost 90 days -NO REPLY. you have to call them again and again. because they are just interested in making money. BEWARE OF THIS CHEATER COMPANY !!!

Doug T.

October 24th, 2018 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ambetter called me twice to inform me that since I am over 60, I should get a colonoscopy which would be an insurance covered procedure. They did not tell me that if a polyp was found they would refuse to pay for the procedure. I had the colonoscopy, a polyp was found and now I have a very large bill to pay which was a totally unplanned expense for me. The doctor was demanding his money so I had to pay him with a credit card and will have to quit taking blood pressure and cholesterol medications and quit checking blood sugar until this is paid off. There is probably no reason to see a doctor if I can't afford the meds, so I can save the physician co-pays as well. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about dying from colorectal cancer and with any luck I won't have a stroke before I can get back on my meds. The polyp was very small and was unlikely to have ever caused me any trouble. I wish that I had never let the Ambetter employee talk me into getting a colonoscopy, as I am now in a worse position than I was at in the beginning. I have appealed this decision but it will take months for them to decide.

Benny Thornton

October 23rd, 2018 Ball Ground, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst there is Period. I cannot even get a doctor. I called 20 today and they all stopped taking Ambetter because they don't pay!!! BEWARE

Viktorija Kang

October 22nd, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far everything has been great. The only reason I am writing a review is to balance a little bit the stars because majority of people gave 1 star. I am a scholar and I can tell that all the reviews are always very biased and subjective. Most of the time people leave reviews when they are extremely unsatisfied or they are extremely satisfied. What about those who are in the middle? I live in Nevada and I found primary care doctor and pediatrician for my child within 5 minutes on their website. The plan I have has a good price and very good coverage, more than I could ask. I have called customer service and I was helped promptly. The person I spoke to was very nice and professional. I would never have written the review if I hadn't seen so many terrible reviews. Imagine how many other satisfied customers have not left a review? I just don't want people to not get good prices insurance because of other people's personal experience. Just look at the coverage, the price, and compare with other insurance companies. Choose what fits your needs, not what the "stars" say.

CDan

October 22nd, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love this insurance. In Miami they cover a whole lot of top doctors, you could even go to the UM hospital and most of the doctors accept AmBetter. Been saving $250 every month, since it covers for my birth control. Even the pharmacist was surprised when it showed him that I didn’t even have to pay a copay, that usually no company ever covers my specific birth control.

Patti

October 19th, 2018 Lilburn, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I gave it a 1, but I really want to rate it a "0". It's like paying a premium to have not coverage at all. None of the doctors take it (or only the bottom of the barrel offices do take). My pediatricians office applied to be able to take their coverage and they were denied. Why deny an office who wants to take your insurance and provide that to their patients? I emailed the company about this and NEVER received any email or call back. Something is not right about this insurance. We paid for almost all of our medical coverage this year out of pocket because practically nothing was covered.

Sigal Khania

October 19th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company ever !!!! They employ people with ADHD,   Stupid people who wasted my time on the phone for 50 minutes and in the end did not help. I was very upset. nedd to repeat myself million times Nerves are not worth it !!!

Gail Johnson

October 18th, 2018 Hudson, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They list so many doctors as taking the plan! Most of the doctors/providers DO NOT TAKE this plan. I have been calling them for over 4 months trying to get assistance in finding a specialist in my area. They have swept me under the rug each and every time. They claim to "escalate" your problem and assign you to an advocate. You will also be give a "refence number". This does you no good as there will be no records kept of your phone calls and what actions taken on your behalf. As a result of not having required medication, I have had two seizures!!! This is beyond ridiculous, as well as dangerous for my well being. I plan on taking this to the Fl Insurance Commissioner, social media, and the news if need be.

Daliah

October 12th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can't add much more than has been added. This insurance is terrible. My husband's pain Dr. is on the plan because he chose to be for my husband. I am trying to find him a primary care physician and cannot. There are plenty listed close to home, but when I call, either the number is not working and the provider actually is in Houston or El Paso and I'm near Dallas. Or they answer the phone and are not and have never been, on the plan. Found a dr. just by looking online and called because their website said Ambeter pending. I crossed my fingers and hoped it was no longer pending. Nope, sure wasn't. They decided after repeated tries to get onto the plan, to no longer try since Ambeter was unresponsive. I have been looking for a doctor for over a year, this is ridiculous. I get excited when I see a new dr. listed on the website, only to see it's another bogus listing. How is this legal to lie to everyone about this. If I could afford it, i would put him on my work health insurance. At least then he'd get drs. But I have a $5000 dedcutible. I have BCBS PPO, everyone take that. So we pay $500/month for his useless insurance. I feel like we are throwing money away that we can't afford to spend to begin with.

lynn

October 12th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i live in missouri and have had ambetter from home for 2018. they cover both major area hospitals and doctors that are affiliated. they have paid all the claims quickly. the only refusal was when a doctor accidentally billed them twice. the plan is changing for next year but i hope it stays similar to what i have now because this has been the best insurance i have ever had. i have had to message them a few times and the always replied pretty quickly. they do not email directly so you have to check the patient portal for replies.

Kat

October 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could give ZERO stars. We are stuck with this insurance co. Web site sucks! You can't even find a Doc. They reject all claims until you call them. I have had several insurance companies in the last 5 years, but this one was the WORST!!!

anonymous

October 10th, 2018 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company ever. Send endless messages to member benefits through the online portal and they are ignored even after getting an auto-response that says they respond within 1 biz day LOL. Supervisor handling my case promised to call me back and never did. Impossible to get hearing aids even though my policy clearly says they are covered and I went to an in-network provider. NO ONE knows anything at this company. Total incompetence. Still waiting on an answer online and I've given up on ever being called back by the supervisors. Broken promises and despicable sorry excuse for member service. IN addition, ambetter provider services REFUSED to give an IN-NETWORK PROVIDER the proper pre-auth code for an adult hearing aid as opposed to one for a child!!!!!!! Aren't they supposed to work together with their providers!! Why are they keeping it a secret from their own provider!! UNACCEPTABLE. This company promises everything, then does everything to avoid paying. This is borderline Fraud. This is not insurance!! It's a racket!!

Tefft

October 10th, 2018 Crystal City, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I live in Missouri and have had no problems with coverage, copays, payments, or finding a doctor. This past year, I needed several tests, infusions, procedures, and medication. Never had an issue. Hopefully the coverage and copays do not go up next year. I will keep it .

Daveretired

October 10th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WORST COMPANY EVER. Called in July to have me dropped off the insurance due to going on Medicare. My wife would still be using them until next year when she goes on Medicare. She called in Sep to check on some services she needed done and finds out she had been canceled all together. When she asked why, they told her the bank took the payment back. I checked our bank and found the payment was taken as scheduled and Ambetter returned it. Now they tell her she has to reapply and be approved all over again. They screwed up and won’t reenstate her, claims she has to wait for open enrollment. What gets me is, they claim we were canceled after we called to drop me. However the policy was canceled a week before we even called in and they had my current months payment. I don’t understand how this company is not being investigated by any government agency for the bad business practices this company does.

Aaron

October 10th, 2018 Nashville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I moved to a new state where Ambetter does not provide coverage. In this new state, I signed up for a new policy through the Healthcare Market Place and cancelled my Ambetter policy, effective the date of the new policy. Ambetter continues to bill me, the amount due accruing each month. I have called their customer service line for four months in a row and conferenced in three way with Ambetter and the Healthcare Market Place. When we are on the phone, the Healthcare Market Place says the policy is cancelled and Ambetter says they will follow through with their part. Then they mail a letter saying request for cancellation is denied. I have spent over 3 hours on five phone calls with Ambetter and they are condescending as well as incompetent.

PAMELA J CARTER

October 3rd, 2018 Litchfield Park, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Run Don't Walk this is the WORST HEALTH INS EVER, THEY DON'T PAY CLAIMS EVER, 1 DAY YOU TALKED TO SOMEONE ABOUT HEALTH COVERAGE & THE NEXT DAY YOU TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE & THEY TELL YOU SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!! I'VE WORKED IN THE HEALTH CARE FIELD FOR MANY YEARS AND RETIRED I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I AM 65 TO GET MEDICARE!! THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE!!! THE WORST!!!! I ONLY GAVE THEM 1 STAR BECAUSE I AM FORCED TO GIVE AT LEAST ONE STAR TO PROCEED WITH THIS REVIEW

Tom & Misty Mathein

October 3rd, 2018 New River, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

While I have good health care with Ambetter, their customer service is terrible. I have now been sitting on hold for over an hour and counting.... Trying to get answers to questions is one of the most difficult things I find with this company. In addition, when you send your payment, they do not credit your account right away. So even though it is in their possession, as confirmed by my bank, you can still get a late notice in the mail, threatening cancellation. The processes overall leave a lot to be desired.

Michael

October 1st, 2018 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great if you don't need anything. I'd have been better off not having insurance and using my VISA card. Seems like they pay providers for 100 tests and visits and then do nothing when you actually have a diagnosis. I'd check ratings before I use another primary from their list!

Donna Rutledge

September 28th, 2018 Conyers, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ambetter is a joke. They changed my deductible from 600 to 1800 to 7000. How is this legal. All because I changed my marketplace application

Pam

September 27th, 2018 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So you guys actually found doctors??!! I am in Houston, TX and have been searching for WEEKS. Every time I choose a doctor, the number is disconnected, the company name has changed, the doctor is no longer there, etc etc etc SERIOUSLY? There is NO WAY to reach these supposed doctors?? I am a recovering breast cancer patient, who had the best insurance during treatment, but no longer have a Corporate job, so am stuck with this crap? Ambetter is asking me to see a nurse practitioner instead of a doctor? BECAUSE THERE ARE NO DOCTORS. This is nuts. I am at high risk for other cancers, and have NO HELP.

Jane Nixon

September 24th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They don't even deserve 1 star but that is the lowest available. They want you to pay but never want you to use it regardless of what your Doctor and Specialists recommend. Deny, Deny, Deny. Doctors get very frustrated because Ambetter approves nothing, not just for me but for everyone. Ambetter should not even be considered insurance. Like my Drs say, It's called insurance and you pay for that. They just don't want you to use it.

Patrick

September 21st, 2018 Boynton Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst insurance in the world. Always takes forevor to get care. Nothing approved. Not real insurance! Do not buy. Run from this company if you want to live!

Frustrated In GA

September 19th, 2018 Kennesaw, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

THE WORST INSURANCE EVER!!! AVOID IF YOU CAN!! No one knows what day it is or what they are doing. I'm having to pay around $500 per month for insurance that doesn't cover any of my Dr's or much of anything else. I didn't have a choice & was forced to switch to them. I was assured I could keep my Drs & that my illnesses would still be taken care of. All lies! Then when you try to get a new Dr you have to pay full price as if you don't have insurance because they aren't paying the Drs for their appointments!! We already learned that they were TERRIBLE IN EVERY WAY & THEN THE HOSPITAL TELLS US MY ER VISITS AREN'T COVERED BECAUSE CRAPBETTER REFUSES TO PAY FOR ANYTHING!! I made sure to pick a plan that would cover my Drs AND the hospital visits. Waste of money & extremly frustrating!! WE SHOULD BE SUING THEM TOGETHER!!!

PATSY LEIST

September 18th, 2018 Bolton, MS

I have only good things to say about Ambetter. I am in Mississippi, one of the states Ambetter covers. My coverage is excellent. My doctors are please to provide it. I have had a minor surgery, my yearly PAP, Mammogram, pain management, etc. and the coverage provided, payment provided have been excellent. I am extremely happy I chose Ambetter insurance. I have recommended it to many of my friends.

dan

September 18th, 2018 Marble Falls, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have one horrible review on Best Company against Ambetter about denying a pain med for my wife's back from her pain doctor. Well this time I went to Ambetters websight and found the generic version of the pain med that was denied last time. Ambetters web-sight states that the generic brand is covered and should have a $10 price tag to me. Sooo at the pain Dr. we request the generic brand and all should be good you would think. Wrong again Ambetter refuses to pay for this generic brand. I call them and push to speak to a supervisor and a women comes on the line and asks how she can solve this problem. I explain the problem and she then has me walk her through the steps to where I found it on Ambetters websight that it was covered. This supervisor agrees that I am right and according to their web-sight it should be covered. Now here is where I got screwed again. It seems Ambetter contracts out their prescription services to another Superior owned company and because that company says it is not covered WELL IT IS NOT covered even tho Ambetter's web-sight says it is. So once again this insurance that is costing me $1531.0 a month has screwed me. Like Isaid on my last post and will say it again DO NOT EVER BUY ANY INSURANCE FROM AMBETTER OR ANY SUPERIOR COMPANY.

Angela

September 11th, 2018 Borden, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible! Does not cover anything! I went to the ER and nothing was covered. No doctors I know will accept. Scam!!

Christopher

September 6th, 2018 Rosharon, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The coverage is worthless. They advertised a $0 co-pay with your pcp, Specialist $5, RX $0 for generic, $0 for ER after deductible. NONE of the local area hospitals accept their coverage so what good is the ER coverage? Also, much of the physician office contact information they give you is bad or outdated and they refuse to email you to information even though you have already paid for coverage. That last part is total bull if I have ever seen it. I bought coverage with Ambetter for Superior Health Plan and I was never able to use it AT ALL. Every time I attempted to use it, I would run into a problem with the provider or they would tell me they do not accept my coverage. I paid for four months of coverage for my children and I after I lost my private coverage with my employer. Either the provider could not be reached or they gave me a long run-around and I did not get the services I needed. I am extremely disappointed because I ended up wasting over $1000 in premiums on this coverage and it was completely useless. My children are now on Medicaid and I am currently uninsured. We are on social security and they robbed us of money that was much needed for other expenses. We should sue them for false advertising, really. Be extremely cautious before you purchase coverage and make sure you read the reviews. I cancelled mine today and that is the best decision I have made to date regarding my Ambetter Coverage.

Tracey

September 5th, 2018 Winter Haven, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ambetter is a JoKe staff has no idea what they r doing everytime u call its a different tale i call it LIES!!!!!

Bruce Johnson

August 31st, 2018 Conyers, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Would be 0 stars if there were available. They make you wait on hold forever and never actually do anything ! - I have asked for rep names and reference numbers. All are meaning less since the last person NEVER WROTE ANYTHING I said. They denied I ever spoke with them!

Becky Williams

August 30th, 2018 Springfield, MO

We are a provider's office and we are supposed to have a contract with Home State Health Plan through Ambetter and it's supposed to be effective 1/1/18. We have never been paid for one patient seen. They still have his name incorrect on the website and still show that he is out of network. When trying to communicate with the Provider Relations Department, I get cut off after a message that says, "due to unforseen circumstances, the call center has closed." We have patients that need treatments and instead of them focusing on getting better, they are worried about their insurance not paying the claims. We have never had such a horrible experience with an insurance company in the 27 years I have been in the medical field.

c grossman

August 29th, 2018 Bradenton, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had Ambetter for 2 years. They are a discount insurance. Most of their current contracted doctors are with the local health department. It is very difficult to get an accurate list of approved doctors. I just called Ambetter for a doctor referral and they gave me 4 doctors and I got 2 more listed on their website. I have called of them 5 so far and none of them actually take Ambetter insurance. Very deceptive.

Brett Ballard

August 28th, 2018 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In Dallas. Went via ambulance with chest pressure to an “in network” AM Better hospital. Was told that I needed bypass surgery. However, the hospital discovered an infection in my back that needed to be cleared up first. Sent me home with IV infusion therapy. While at home, I discover that my cardiologist and the only heart surgeon at the hospital are NOT covered in network. I kept getting the run around from their inept and rude CSR’s. The doctors office had to confirm they “no longer accept” AM Better because they don’t pay claims. Also was told by a CSR that my heart bypass surgery was considered ELECTIVE even though I have 100% blockage on one side and 55% on the other. She advised to - and I quote - “WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE A HEART ATTACK AND THEN GO TO THE HOSPITAL” because then it’s and emergency and not an elective surgery. Unbelievable. RUN RUN RUN. In hindsight, I’d rather pay the penalty and go into a faith based share plan than deal with AM Better.

Mark

August 23rd, 2018 Polo, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible insurance. Customer care is incompetent. On their website they list a provider as being in their network then they deny benefits with a code of "not in network". Deductibles and co-pays are costing me a fortune. Explanation of benefits included a lung transplant and a vasectomy. I've had neither!!! Only choice where I live in Missouri.

Moe

August 23rd, 2018 Snellville, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company doesn't cover our surgery or anesthesia or wellness checkup, they make us pay for every thing and they escape when you call them they don't solve any problem and supervisor always is not available , lie after lie , I think they have to close Ambetter and Market Place because is just SCAM . and Scam from the government of USA and i'm wondering why they still force people to have insurance

sarah

August 20th, 2018 Dallas, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

00000000000's. RUN, RUN, RUN, if you are considering getting insurance with Ambetter. Don't ever purchase insurance through Ambetter. It is impossible to get a question answered about anything. It is impossible to get any need taken care of no matter how small or large. You will be on the phone for 15 minutes before you even get an opportunity to address the reason you are calling in the first place. No one accepts them & now I completely understand why. The times I've check I've been told it's because they don't pay their claims. Based on how impossible it is to get anything done with them, even if it's as small as an address change, I can completely see how difficult it might be for a service provider. RUN, RUN, RUN, if you are considering getting insurance with Ambetter.

NATALIE OLDROYD

August 17th, 2018 Cave Creek, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

keep suspending our insurance by claiming auto pay not set up. They're shut down their call center and are not taking calls. Not even sure if they're still in business.

Anthony Taverna

August 16th, 2018 West Palm Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible!! No doctor on the multiple lists that they have given me accepts the insurance. This has turned into a health-threatening situation as I'm not able to receive the needed medication. Horrible customer service, inept.

Denise Buccola

August 15th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am given different information by different people when calling Ambetter. It's very confusing. I've had nothing but trouble trying to get doctor visits approved and/or covered. This was my only choice as far as individual healthcare in Arizona.

Merselina antunes

August 14th, 2018 Port Charlotte, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service are mean and very unprofessional

lonny zion

August 14th, 2018 Redondo Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

needed a 3 month plan after moving to a new state to cover family until new job's insurance kicks in. I was told I couldn't get a 3 month plan and now I have to pay 1 year of deductible in 3 months before seeing a single $ in benefits. total garbage

Vivian Guerra

August 13th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been with Ambetter for 3 years and it has met all our needs. Customer service is excellent and try to help to the max. I did not give it a 5 because their provider list is very limited and not updated frequently

Amal Sweis

August 13th, 2018 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish there is an email address to contact them instead of the useless customer service people that keep answering my calls. I needed a proof insurance for all my family for the year 2017 and I had to call them more than 20 times until eventually I received the papers for all my family except my husband whom they denied he had insurance with them, I found my husband's receipts for most of the year and I want to show them that there is something wrong with their system but how can I do that?! they don't even have an office to visit in my state! Me and my family where unlucky in 2017 because someone in the marketplace referred us to ambetter !

Harold Ferris

August 10th, 2018 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ambetter misled me on 4 occasions, saying that they would cover my child when playing sports for her school. The team coach revealed, in a 3 way call with Ambetter, that they in fact DO NOT COVER my child. The school has secondary insurance ( not primary) and Ambetter will not pay anything unless the secondary (backup) insurance pays first. Even talking to a supervisor (Cathy A. ) at Ambetter did no good. Why lie, Just tell me the truth! You know you don't cover. Don't waist every ones time!

christina

August 9th, 2018 Plant City, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Would give no stars if possible. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately, this is what many can afford. Customer service reps are useless and rude. Good luck finding a provider who will accept this insurance. I cannot wait to change insurance companies.

Helen Bryson

August 8th, 2018 Lilburn, GA

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER--- Been trying to get an incorrect birthdate corrected since January , 2018!!!!! Keep getting the runaround, first they say they didn't get the files from the Marketplace which they require to change info, second file sent, Ambetter saying they didn't get that file either. The latest excuse is that it is a "known Computer issue" and "everyone knows about it". So if it is a known issue why can't IT department do a patch or issue a workaround!!!! Or why can't a note be entered into the system noting what the correct birthday is so claims can be paid???? This is the WORST company I've ever had to deal with and I've been in Healthcare for 44 years. All you get are excuses . I am the successor agent for Healthcare for my sister in law who is the paying customer for this Nightmare. And by the way, my brother has paid the denied claims, so how is he to get reimbursed for monies paid due to this company's incompetence.

Shalana

August 6th, 2018 Porter, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No one takes this insurance even when listed. Run.

TAustin

August 3rd, 2018 Scottsdale, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's sad that health insurance is so complicated in the United States. There are so many problems with Ambetter in terms of customer service, lack of providers that are near your place of residence, and very much a bait and switch operation in terms of QUALITY Healthcare. Paying $1500 premium for a healthy family of 4 in Arizona with providers that don't take health care seriously is EXACTLY what you deal with on an ongoing basis. It's the definition of INSANITY. This company is taking advantage of the lack of insurance for individual in ARIZONA. It's scary that I have to go to South Phoenix to my OBGYN as no OBGYN's in Scottsdale want to affiliate with Ambetter. When you have relationship with an OBGYN for years, it's uncomfortable to start over. I'm appalled there are no governing agencies that at least have minimum standards that regulate how insurance companies can operate. Ambetter is taking advantage of Arizona individual insurance as we have no LEGIT insurance companies that want to contract in Arizona. Why our Senators can't figure this out is mind boggling. It's very sad that we live in a country that has allowed companies like Ambetter to back people in a corner to accept standards in HEALTH that are WAY below where they should be. It feels like we live in a 3rd world company with the lack or organization, customer service and the PLAGUE associated with Ambetter. Pay a fine to the government for not having insurance or pay $1500 a month for a healthy family of 4 to have SUBPAR insurance and providers in the city of Scottsdale. This is BEYOND frustrating!!!!!!!! Insurance is a HUGE one sided MONOPOLY that is surely not in favor of the CONSUMER in ARIZONA. This is why you never let the government HANDLE your health insurance. We all need to call our SENATORS in AZ and get this CRISIS worked out.

LINDA BUSICK

July 30th, 2018 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DON'T EVER CHOOSE THIS COMPANY THEY STEAL YOUR MONTHLY PREMIUM THEN THEY SUSPEND YOUR INSURANCE AND THEN THEY DON'T GIVE YOUR MONEY BACK, THEY LIE AND WHY WOULD HUMAN BEINGS TREAT OTHER THIS WAY, THEY WON'T TELL YOU HOW TO CALL ANYONE BUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY DON'T TELL YOU WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED AT. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPANY????????? WHY DOES THE MARKET PLACE RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY WHY DOESN'T THE STATE HELP US WITH THIS??????BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!!!!

Tiffany Parks

July 27th, 2018 Coppell, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Most doctors won't take this plan. The ones that do, charge more for an office visit WITH this insurance than they would if you paid in cash. This group is simply taking advantage of our corrupt government laws. If you can find another insurer, do.