Target Optical Logo

Target Optical

6.4

LAST UPDATED: November 15th, 2021

While Target Corporation, the eighth-largest retailer in the United States, was founded in 1902, the first Target Optical store didn’t open until 1995. This new service made visiting the optometrist at existing Target stores relatively easy, and the Target Optical online service started in 2010. Target Optical is currently owned by the Luxottica, an Italian eyewear company that also owns several other eyeglass brands and retailers.

At Target Optical, consumers can purchase a variety of name-brand prescription contact lenses, eyeglasses, and sunglasses for kids and adults. Popular frames are available from the following brands:

• Ray-Ban
  • Coach
  • Oakley
  • Vogue
  • Versace

The retailer has more than 500 eyeglass frames to choose from (400 from leading brands and 100 Target-exclusive options).

A variety of lens options are available including single vision and progressive lenses, plastic, polycarbonate, photochromic, and hi-index lenses. You can even get special Ray-Ban branded lenses.

At targetoptical.com, customers can shop by brand, style, face shape, and fit (standard, large, small, and kids). They can also locate the nearest store with an optical center and schedule an eye exam with an eye doctor. A current prescription and pupillary distance measurement are needed to place an order. Customers without a current prescription will have to visit a doctor for an annual eye exam before shopping.

You can choose plastic or polycarbonate lenses, single vision or progressive, and special choices like IntelliBlue for computer screens, and light-sensitive transitions options.

Keep reading for pros and cons of buying glasses online from Target Optical.

The Good

• Free Shipping
  • Customer Service
  • 90-Day Scratch Policy
  • 90-Day Return Policy
  • Protection Plan Available
  • Insurance and FSA/HSA Accepted

Free Shipping

When you place your order, it can take up to seven business days for processing and three for standard shipping, which is free for Target Optical customers. If you want to get your glasses sooner, you can pay to upgrade shipping, but remember, that won’t speed up the processing time.

Because Target Optical is supported by a huge national retailer, customer service is available via phone, Monday–Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern and Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern. Customers can also email or chat online with customer service agents.

90-Day Scratch Policy

If your lenses get scratched within 90 days of purchase, you can get a free replacement. This is a great policy, especially if you are shopping for children.

90-Day Return Policy

Target has one of the longest standard return policies of any online eyeglass provider, covering 90 days. It is also a free return, for any reason. Just contact the company for a free prepaid return label.

Protection Plan Available

A $35 Worry Free Protection Plan is available. This covers replacements for damaged lenses and/or frames for a $50 copay. It lasts for one year, starting after the initial 90-day return and replacement policy.

Customers should be advised that the Protection Plan doesn’t cover lost or stolen glasses and isn’t available to shoppers in California.

Insurance and FSA/HSA Accepted

Target Optical accepts these popular vision insurance plans:

• EyeMed Vision
  • Blue View Vision
  • Anthem
  • Aetna Vision Preferred
  • Humana Vision
  • And more

FSA and HSA card payments are accepted at Target Optical, even with online purchases. This is really helpful, especially for people who have a use-it-or-lose-it policy on their funds.

Because this is a well-known retail chain, you are likely to see promotional pricing, even on glasses.

However, users should know that promotional offers cannot be used when you are paying with insurance benefits. However, Target won’t force you to use your insurance if it is more expensive. The store will give you the lower price, with the promo or the insurance price. For example, a current promotion gives $99 frames plus standard lenses. This may end up being cheaper than going with your vision insurance coverage.

The Bad

• Bifocals Not Online
  • At Home Try On
  • Frames and Lenses
  • Not the Cheapest

Bifocals

Customers aren’t able to purchase lined bifocals online from the Optical department. If you are someone who can’t use progressive lenses, bifocals are available, but only in-store.

At-Home Try-On

While previously available, Target doesn’t have a fancy at-home try on option any more. However, it does have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee, so you have time to return them if they don’t work out, for any reason.

However, keep in mind that there are more than 1,000 Target Optical locations in the United States, and if you don’t like your glasses, there is a hassle-free 90-day return policy. Just contact customer service for a prepaid shipping label.

Not the Cheapest

While Target’s prescription glasses options are far from the cheapest (some online retailers start at $6.00 for frames), they are all high-quality designer frames like Ray-Ban, and have a 90-day policy for returns and scratch fixes.

Frames and Lenses

When you are shopping online, be aware that the pricing you see is for the frames. Lens pricing is only added after you select your lens and lens treatments, depending on the frames you choose.

It can be a little confusing because some online glasses shops show base pricing with the frame and lenses, then you upgrade, and some just show pricing for the frames, then add in more for the lenses. Just take care when you are shopping.

The Bottom Line

Target Optical is backed by the eight-largest U.S. retailer and it already has a large and positive brand recognition.

When it comes to online eyeglasses, Target’s Optical shop isn’t the most expensive or the least expensive, but it does offer a selection of over 500 frames, popular brands, options for single vision, progressive, sunglasses, and specialty lenses. It works with most insurance companies, but you don’t need vision insurance to shop here.

Customers get free shipping and returns, 90 days to decide, and free scratches fixed in the first 90 days.

Have you purchased glasses online from Target Optical? Let us know about your shopping experience with a quick review below.

3.0

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I received my last pair of glasses from Target Optical. They take lots of insurances and have a low co-pay with said insurances. It was easy to pick out my frames, as they have a large selection. I am very happy with the glasses I received from Target.

Rom Mendawi Los Angeles, CA

Here at Northridge, target has been great. I went there two times already and each time I get the same positive experience. The doctor is wonderful and she is so thorough. The customer service in person and over the phone is great.

Julia UP Southbury, CT

Target optical always professional service, with a wide selection of glasses, and a wide range of prices. My glasses purchased, and received, I believe are the best I have ever own, and I have purchased many glasses in my long life. Would recommend

Chalice Daniel Tallahassee, FL

So many great glasses options. The prices are great and it is super easy to transfer your prescriptions from a certified eye doctor to them.

Viktoriia Kotsiuba Palm Harbor, FL

I'm frustrated and disappointed with their service and attitude. We ordered the most expensive two pairs of glasses for my daughter after their medical exam. The doctor who examined my kid gave us the referral bc of my kid's astigmatism and they figured out that the prescribed lenses were incorrect and could be even harmful to my daughter. In order to fix that, Target optical MUST redo it. They agreed to remake the glasses according to the new prescription however, they started to make up the facts, never called back, reschedule picking up numerous times with no reason. My kid waiting for new glasses for more than a month bc of their unprofessional behavior. Do NOT recommend ever.

Rosa Schubert New Hyde Park, NY

Today was a good day. This was the first time I was visiting target optical in Westbury. I got an eye exam from Dr P..He was so professional so nice made me feel really comfortable I will definitely be back there every time I need to get my eyes examined. I also needed new frames new sunglasses and new lenses. I had an amazing experience with Doug he was professional he was very helpful he was kind and he gave me advice on my eyeglasses and I really appreciated everything he told me.I never had such a great experience like this.Doug Thank You for making my day. I will definitely be back and you will be the one to help me Doug. All I could say is if anybody needs to go get their eyes examined And need glasses and lenses please go there I recommend this place 100% Rosa Schubert

Anoushka Ahuja Tallahassee, FL

Target Optical is the best place to find affordable and cool frames.

Tricia Vadnais Prairieville, LA

Do NOT use Target Optical. I bought a pair of $400 glasses in June. The coating is peeling off and they only offer a 90 day guarantee. Poor workmanship and even terrible customer service. I will NOT be back!!

Angel Casey Tallahassee, FL

The customer service is always top tier and the experience is always quick and easy.

Leslie Mullins Fountain Hills, AZ

My prescription was spot on. Eye glasses and sunglasses with progressive lens purchased in Feb 2021 and am completely satisfied. Can't comment on cost though I know I have paid more in the past.

Monas Shahzad Orlando, FL

I had my eye exam today Aug 28th, 2021. Doctor rushed my exam. Absolutely not satisfied with my dilation eye exam. I was wondering that dilation is a part of thorough eye exam and it should be performed thoroughly but Dr. M. S did it literally in one minute! Poor quality!

LIN U S A Apple Valley, CA

Doctor rushed my exam. Glasses came Could not see through these lenses. They insisted I wear them 2 weeks. Went to an actual optometrist office for recheck . Prescription was incorrect. They did not give me the premium progressive lens I asked for. Returned for refund. Do not go here.

Amy Louhela Chicago, IL

I received my glasses in march. The coating is peeling off. I also know better then to wipe them with only a lens cloth. I contacted them and they would not replace the glasses. They said they were under warrant. I showed them to my optometrist and told him I could barely read from these and he said that they barely gave me any bifocal at all. He said I'd have to tip them to read anything. The worst part about it all is I can't afford another pair of glasses so I am stuck not being able to see correctly and I am a photographer. So this is really impacting me.

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like buying new frames from Target Optical because they had a great selection that I was able to try on before purchasing.

Shanelle vickers Jacksonville, FL

They have very cute and affordable glasses and they are always ready to help.

xabriah glenn-young Tallahassee, FL

Great and quality service. Of course expecting nothing less than that

Girlwhomustnotbenamed Shakopee, MN

Attempting to get a copy of your prescription is like Nicolas Cage trying to find the hidden treasure in National Treasure. But in this case, you never find the treasure and come up empty handed, defeated and feeling like you’ve wasted your time. I love target but how can target optical be soo different :’( I will say scheduling an eye exam is rather easy.

adrian avram Tampa, FL

target optical is affiliated with Luxotica and they run a customer scam like that: Promote a discount eye exam, to lure in customers -during exam the optometrist pressure customer to order glasses from target(luxotica) and if customer refuse bc the online other co are 4x less expensive at same quality, the optometrist alter the correct prescription and hand the customer wrong numbers to discredit the competition them make the glasses and if customer complain the say only target glasses are correct all other are wrong. Incredible? Happen to me. Target optometrist at Gainesville FL give me an intentionally 2 number higher reading prescription (+5) when I refused to order target glasses for $400 and explained that Zenni-optical online has it for $70 I always had reading prescription +2.5/3--and target prescription at 5 was absurde--Complained on the spot but he said "it is what I say it is" -and "if you order glasses from us it will be correct"

shanshan cui Fairfax, VA

I went to the Target optical store today (oct. 19, 2020). I had the worst experience ever. First, no one wants to go out for a pair of eye glasses unless he has to during this pandemic. I did my research online and find the kind of frame I like, but I do want to try it before I place the order. So I went to the store (the one on New Guinea Rd, in Fairfax VA). The young lady there was chatting on the phone happily. Even though the store is in an open space, but I didn't go in and waited outside. I respect that there may be new policies due to COVID 19. I was the only customer there. Finally, she was off the phone and asked me "what was wrong?" in a very unfriendly tone. She was not the same person on the phone any more. I told her that I need a new pair of glasses. She started to say "you can only touch 5 frames and put them in the ..." in a very bad attitude. She made it very clear that she didn't want me there. I got the message and left immediately. Please don't go there because she didn't want your business and will treat you very poorly. I wish I can give negative stars.

Raja Iqbal Richardson, TX

I wish i could rate them below zero, after 4 visits and almost two months wait i have no choice but to get refund.(TARGET AT RICHARDSON SQ MALL STORE) I went for eye test from target affiliate optometrist and ordered glasses from target after two weeks i picked up glasses and were not clear , they said MARKING was wrong give us two more weeks, after two weeks 2nd trip same problem i was told make another appointment with doctor ,after two weeks and 3rd visit i have a new eye prescription and wait another two weeks this time we will do right, well after two weeks when i picked up they used same old prescription and new one is missing they refunded my money and have no copy of my new prescription Worst service i have seen in a reputable name like Target i will not recommend any one

Jera Reno, NV

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ORDER FROM TARGET OPTICAL ONLINE. They have the worst communication and customer service. I ordered glasses online on 3/10, initial email was a thank you for my order. Didn't receive any other confirmation. I had to call them to get an update. Called in, was on hold for more than 30 min, was informed my order was to ship the next day. A week later still hadn't received any email with an update and using their automated telephone system it was not finding my order number. Was on hold for another 45 min, when I finally spoke to someone they informed me my order was still pending. I requested my order be cancelled and requested a refund. Was informed she'll put the request in for me, but she's not sure if it'll be cancelled or not. I am to receive an email when they cancel my order. We shall see.

Jaylyn Bryanna Tallahassee, FL

Good contacts. I preorder other brands though.

moose72 Muncy, PA

Great service great products and the price is right on.

Jennifer Morris Crowley, TX

I would rate 0 stars if it would let me. I got my glasses at Target, but I did not use a Target Optical eye doctor. First of all, when I went to pick up my glasses, the employee did not adjust them correctly. I was not seeing well out of the glasses. I went back, and the employee adjusted them correctly. She said she checked the prescription and the glasses were made correctly. They were not. So. I was forced to take off work, and spend and hour and a half at the eye doctor, just to confirm the glasses were not made correctly. Target redid them for free. i will not go back.

Loren Ruffin Kannapolis, NC

Shipping took SO LONG only for my order to be wrong. I sent in my prescription sheet, with the numbers very visible and received my left contacts with the acid WAY off. When I reached out for a partial refund they told me no and that there was nothing they could do about the prescription coming out wrong. DO NOT USE!!

DMR Chicago, IL

Glasses arrived with finish peeling off. I tried to contact them a number of times and received to response. They also never sent a confirmation email telling me the glasses had shipped.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

Target has great fashion when it comes to glasses. I would say they are totally stylish, but not the greatest of quality. Great service though!!

Danielle Parry Wylie, TX

Target optical is so convenient. I can get everything I need while in store and they are fast and efficient.