Stream Energy

7.0

Stream Energy built its business in 2005 by selling energy via word of mouth. In just over a decade, Stream Energy has become one of the largest direct selling energy companies in the world, claiming to have paid millions of dollars to customers who have successfully referred Stream's services to their friends and family. Stream Energy appears to be one of the most transparent direct energy sellers in the industry and employs both competitive rates and flexible contract terms; however, the company also charges higher-than-average fees, and only serves a few select states. Stream Energy may be a good option for those who want to avoid getting locked into a long-term contract.

The Good

• Competitive Rates
  • Flexible Contract Terms
  • Multiple Payment Options

Competitive Rates

Among all deregulated energy companies, Stream Energy boasts some of the most competitive and transparent rates in the industry. The company's full disclosure of its fixed and variable rates for electricity and gas is rare for this industry:

• Electricity (fixed rate): 7.8¢/kWh-below industry average
  • Electricity (variable rate): 10.2¢/kWh-about industry average
  • Natural gas (fixed rate): 4.42¢/kWh-below industry average
  • Natural gas (variable rate): 4.23¢/kWh-about industry average

Something else we like about Stream Energy is that its rates don't fluctuate with the seasons, meaning what you see is what you get - regardless of the time of year. Stream Energy also does not appear to charge customers a monthly customer service fee (this is at least true in many of the company's service areas); rather, it seems that customers only pay for the energy they use.

Flexible Contract Terms

Stream Energy offers a number of different contract lengths that cater to the needs of individual customers. For example, for customers who are apprehensive toward long-term contracts, the company provides a month-to-month rate plan at a slightly higher rate, but with no early cancellation fee. Stream Energy also provides longer-term contracts between six and 30 months (all at reduced rates).

Multiple Payment Options

Stream Energy allows customers to pay their energy bill through multiple channels: customers can pay by mailed check, electronic check, credit or debit card, or by connecting their bank accounts directly to their customer account with Stream Energy.

The Bad

• High Fees
  • Deposit Not Disclosed

High Fees

While Stream Energy charges rates that are either around or below industry averages, it conversely charges fees that are well above what other companies charge. For example, some of its long-term plans come with an early termination fee, which ranges from $150 (in Maryland and New Jersey) to $250 (in Texas). Additionally, the company charges a minimum usage fee of $9.95 during billing months in which customers use 999 kWh or less. Other companies charge much less for minimum usage. Finally, Stream Energy charges a 5 percent late payment fee-one of the highest rates in the industry. Several deregulated energy companies will charge no more than 1.5 percent for late payments.

Some Fees Not Disclosed

While Stream Energy remains one of the most transparent deregulated energy companies in terms of its rates, the amount the company requires upfront as a deposit is undisclosed. Some companies have no deposit requirements, while others can charge over $300 for an initial deposit. Customers interested in buying electricity or natural gas through Stream Energy will need to inquire directly as to whether or not the company requires a deposit.

The Bottom Line

Customers living in Stream Energy's service area (DC, GA, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and TX), will have access to affordable rates for both electricity and natural gas. Customers who don't want to sign up for long-term contracts will also enjoy Stream Energy's month-to-month plan. That being said, some of Stream Energy's rates are higher than those of many companies, and the deposit amount is unknown. If you don't intend to cancel your contract early or make your payments late, Stream Energy could be the right energy provider for you.

2.5

September 26th, 2017

Talked today to a representative Holly, to ask for an affordable plan for my senior mother. She asked me if I would be authorized to act for my mother. I confirmed but explained that I just needed plan/price information for now. She said she could do it, because she doesn't want to loose her job. I informed her that other competitors disclosed best plans with me so my mother can choose. Her answer was that would not be her problem. I will not consider this company as the electricity provider for my mother house. The lack of professionalism, the lack of respectful customer service is something that any company should avoid.

September 21st, 2017 Stockbridge, GA

Absolutely the WORST customer service. Very hard to understand reps. And that's only the beginning. They suck. I would NEVER recommend to anybody. Keep away

May 24th, 2017 Waco, TX

Our service was supposed to end on May 10. After an hour with Customer Service, turns out they allowed an unauthorized person to make changes on the account; they renewed for another 24 months! They refused to resolve the issue and told us to call back at a later time.

May 24th, 2017 Chicago, IL

Saving money. No issues with billing. Still getting same bill with Stream as the suppliers of the energy and old company as deliverers

May 22nd, 2017 Rochester, NY

We've been Stream customers for over 4 years for energy and over 2 years for mobile. Their rates and customer service are superb. For gas and electric, absolutely no risk to switch, no cost, and a savings! It's a no brainer. For mobile, their costs and coverage and service are excellent. I have recommended their services to dozens of friends and family.

May 19th, 2017 Alice, TX

No where in their menus does it give you an option to talk to a live person......very frustrating

May 6th, 2017 Carlisle, PA

I have been a customer of Stream Energy for the last three years and have been very pleased with the customer service and competitive cost per kwh. Stream was recommended by a friend and I haven't been sorry to have taken his advice. There was no deposit when I signed up and no monthly flat fee that I've ever experienced. This company seems to have their act together.

May 2nd, 2017 Fairmont, WV

We stitched to Stream and it was painless. We started saving money right away and the best part is that we get to use our electric bill to help a friend.

March 21st, 2017

After over 10 years did some research and chose a different. I carefully investigated termination fee policy and the stated termination date on my bill. I still received a $250 termination fee. Customer service quoted an entirely different date than was stated on my bill and would not even acknowledge the obvious conflict in information. Very shady.

March 8th, 2017 Bullard, TX

This company consistently provides the lowest energy rates And now that they offer wireless services, they have some of the lowest most complete wireless service plans in the industry. I would reommend them to anyone.