Delta Dental Logo

5.7

LAST UPDATED: October 12th, 2021

If you're looking for dental insurance, you already know that dental health is important. A dental insurance plan can help you save on dental treatment and make visits to the dentist less expensive.

Delta Dental offers good dental insurance. Many of its plan members rate Delta Dental highly and are satisfied with the value offered through coverage, cost, and network of dentists, and customer service. If you're looking for good quality, see if Delta Dental has a plan that meets your needs.

Delta Dental was founded in 1954 by dentists and employers to increase access to dental services. Over the years, Delta Dental has grown from servicing three states to servicing all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and United States territories.

Delta Dental is an industry leader and was the first to offer dental insurance in multiple states. It has a large network of dentists and serves millions of people.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Mary from Jacksonville, Florida

"My experience with Delta has always been great. Both my spouse and I have delta and was able to stack the coverage on both of our kids braces. We ended up paying less than 1600 for braces for each after each Delta plan paid a part."

Read More Delta Dental Reviews

MetLife Logo
#1 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#2 Cigna chevron_right
3.8
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Plan Variety
  • High Level of Customer Satisfaction
  • Vision Coverage Available

Positive Customer Reviews

Delta Dental has earned much praise from its plan members. Positive Delta Dental reviews describe satisfaction for the cost and value of the company's plans. They also mention quick claims processing and payments. The high number of positive reviews mean that you can purchase a Delta Dental plan confidently.

Plan Variety

Delta Dental offers dental insurance coverage for individuals, retirees, families, and employers. It has six kinds of dental plans available.

• Delta Dental PPO™ — This insurance plan allows individuals access to the discounted network rates when they receive dental treatment from an in-network provider. It also has low out-of-pocket costs.
  • Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ — This plan is just like the Delta Dental PPO™ (Preferred Provider Organization) with the added benefit of coverage for out-of-network dentists.
  • Delta Dental Premier® — This is Delta Dental’s indemnity plan. Individuals with this plan only pay co-pays and deductibles for services received.
  • DeltaCare® USA — This plan is Delta Dental’s HMO and focuses primarily on preventive services.
  • Delta Dental Patient Direct® — With this plan, patients choose a network dentist and pay the dentist their pre-negotiated, discounted fee for the dental service.
  • Delta Dental Individual and Family™ — Delta Dental offers the same group plans (generally only available to employers) to individuals and families.

With these choices, customers should be able to find the dental coverage and benefits they need at their price point.

Dental insurance plans work slightly differently from health insurance plans, though there are similarities. The Delta Dental PPO™, Delta Dental Premier®, and Delta Dental PPO Plus Premier™ plans all have an annual deductible and copays, like health insurance plans do. Unlike health insurance plans, these three Delta Dental plans also have an annual maximum benefit. The annual maximum benefit is the most that Delta Dental will pay for covered services during the year. Keep this number in mind as you consider the treatment you may need during the year.

The DeltaCare® USA and the Delta Dental Patient Direct do not have deductibles or an annual maximum benefit. The DeltaCare® USA does have copays.

Finding a participating dentist is easy. Delta Dental members can use Delta Dental's website to find in-network dentists in their area. From the search results, you can choose a dental provider. Visiting participating dentists allows you to take full advantage of your plan's dental savings.

As you evaluate your dental plan options, consider the dental services you'll likely need. Check to make sure that your needs are included in a plan's covered services. Cleanings and dental check-ups usually fall under preventive care. Basic treatment generally includes dental work like fillings. Major services include dental procedures like root canals, crowns, and bridges. Some plans may also have limitations and exclusions. For example, cosmetic dentistry is typically not covered by dental insurance.

Some plans also require a waiting period before covering certain services.

If you like your current dentist, you should check to see if they are a provider included in your plan's network. With PPO plans, you can usually visit any dentist you'd like. If you visit a network dentist, you can maximize the cost-sharing benefits of your plan.

You should also consider what copayment a plan requires, its deductible, monthly premium, and other out-of-pocket expenses. Monthly premiums should fit comfortably into your monthly budget; however, it's important to also consider your out-of-pocket expenses.

Analyzing the full cost of a plan and what dental procedures and preventive services you need will help you estimate how much money you'll spend on dental care and find a plan that fits your budget.

High Level of Customer Satisfaction

Reviews on bestcompany.com are mostly positive. Clients are typically satisfied with the coverage and service they receive from Delta Dental. Reviewers are also happy with its large network of dental providers.

While some reviewers experienced difficulty with getting procedures approved, claims, and cost, most reviewers are happy with Delta Dental. Keep in mind that Delta Dental offers a few different coverage plans, so customer experience with cost and coverage may be affected by what plan they chose.

Vision Coverage Available

While Delta Dental insurance plans are primarily for dentistry, the company also offers a vision insurance plan called DeltaVision®. With this plan, customers receive discounts for eye exams, glasses, contacts, and laser vision correction. It can be purchased with or separately from dental insurance.

Those looking for both dental and vision coverage can find insurance options through Delta Dental.

The Bad

Availability Varies by State

While Delta Dental's plans are available nationwide, the offerings and rates vary by state. People interested in purchasing insurance from Delta Dental must enter their state, zip code, and birthday on a state- or region-specific site to view the rates and insurance coverage options available to them.

The Bottom Line

Dental care is an important part of taking care of your overall health. Good oral health and dental hygiene have positive effects on your heart and overall health. Dental insurance can help defray the cost of dental treatment that helps you maintain your dental health.

Delta Dental is a great choice when choosing a dental insurance company. It offers six kinds of dental plans, which makes it easy to find affordable dental coverage. Delta Dental has even made its group plans available to independent customers, not just businesses. This means that individuals can get the same dental benefits as those offered through employers.

Delta Dental's plan offerings and terms vary by state, so be sure to understand the specifics of the plan, like if there is a waiting period for certain services and the coverage available for preventive services and its cost before signing up for dental coverage.

Delta Dental has one of the largest networks of dentists, which makes finding a dentist easier. Visiting a network dentist allows you to access discounted rates for covered dental work. Delta Dental is an insurance provider worth considering.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

4.0

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Delta dental has been a fantastic provider for dental insurance. All of my insurance needs and dental procedures have been covered through Delta dental and I find that their customer service line is extremely helpful. Most dentist offices that I have gone to have excepted Delta dental as a insurance provider which is amazing. I have no complaints when it comes to Delta dental as a dental insurance provider.

Richard Danby Rexburg, ID

Delta Dental offers insurance plans that has met the needs of my family throughout the years. They always seem to have the best rates and coverage.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

Delta Dental has good coverage. I have had to have multiple procedures and delta has been reliable throughout the processes.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I am retired now and have opted not to carry dental insurance. However, when I was working, I really appreciated having Delta Dental insurance to cover regular visits to the dentist. Delta also covered a good portion of the cost of my tooth implant and a tooth cap.

Shirley Simolari

They cover everything they disclose quickly and efficiently, they are easy to reach with questions no waiting and they pay their claims on tome

Sharod Wilkes Jackson, MS

It has been great dealing with this company. There have been no problems whatsoever with getting my dental bills taken care of nor any hassles on dealing with services. Delta Dental is hands-down one of the better dental insurances around.

Mom of three Brigham City, UT

Delta Dental is our go to company for dental insurance. We’ve had Delta Dental for 2 years. They have great customer service, friendly knowledgeable staff, wait time of 5 minutes or less on the phone, most importantly they pay your dentist on time.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We have had Delta Dental insurance through our employer for years and have been impressed with their promptness in paying providers and in making readable statements available to us. We have had dentists, orthodontists, and periodontists state how good our particular Delta Dental plan is. The Delta Dental statements are comprehensive and detailed and make it clear what our share of the cost is related to the overall charges. Delta Dental also has worked well with our providers to make our role in the process relatively minimal.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental has been my dental insurance for many years. I have never had a problem with a claim, I can do all of the regular dental work that I need and when I have to do some more expensive stuff, like root canals, and fillings, the insurance takes care of most of it and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I also like their orthodontic insurance for my large family.

Tara Marx Brighton, CO

We have had Delta Dental insurance for over a decade. We have never had a problems submitting insurance claims. Delta Dental was there for us when all our kids had wisdom teeth out and braces.

Diane Kelly Cypress, TX

Okay No issues I always get my questions and concerns resolved in a timely matter.I don't have to worry about being transferred all through the department to get problems resolve

Sarah Manassas, VA

I've had Delta Dental for about 5 years now and have never had any issues. I do not get suprise bills after dental work is done, and their coverage is pretty good, and my rates are very reasonable.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Delta has been our dental insurance through my job for many years. They have been great and we've been treated very well. We are very consistent with our care and I even had some orthodontia. Never any claim issues.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

Five kids, five sets of braces, over a hundred cleanings, and a bunch of cavities. We’ve been with Delta through them all. I recommend them for their prompt, accurate, and trouble-free service.

Dale Mayfield New Braunfels, TX

Delta Dental as the State of Texas administrator for our dental coverage has been in effect for less than a year, but they are very good for annual dental maintenance costs. We have rarely needed any additional dental work, but when we have, the company has been very prompt in their coverage.

Mary Jacksonville, FL

AJ & Maria Ferguson Riverton, UT

Delta Dental has been a good insurance to have. Having all of my family's checkups and cleanings covered as well as helping cover the cost of dental work is a burden lifted. Although I wish we had more coverage for dental work and orthodontia, the low amount that we pay in premiums is well worth the coverage we have.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I am currently enrolled in Delta Dental through my employer. They have been reasonable and I have a great premium through them. All of my dental cleanings are taken care off and I don't have to pay full price out of pocket for some procedures if needed.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental is what I have for my insurance and they cover what I need and they also provide options for the whole family. I like their orthodontic options and their choice of dentists. They also give me the preventative treatment needed to stave off larger problems later.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have Delta Dental and it has been great. There are a ton of dentists to choose from, and they provide all the preventative care that is needed. They are easy to submit a claim through and l like their orthodontic coverage as well.

Calista Huber Mesa, AZ

I recently got Delta dental and I am so happy so far! I love how widely accepted by local dentists it is. I haven't called customer service yet so jury is still out on service and cost. But I'm so happy it was so easy to find an in network, local pediatric dentist for my kids.

Irving Fleischman Staten Island, NY

Their PPO is excellent and HMO’s don’t give many dental benefits, they are really good.

KKin Preston, ID

I used delta dental for my dental services and they were really great to work with. They are who my employer uses and they are very user friendly

jcleaton San Diego, CA

Have had Delta Dental for many years as Dental insurance. Have only good things to say about their coverage and organization. Is there another dental insurance company out there?

tania woeste Saint Cloud, MN

They are very friendly over the phone with answering our questions and it’s nice to have since dental is not covered on my husbands insurance for himself. They are also very reasonable in their pricing.

Syl North Port, FL

I have had Delta Dental since 2003. My communication with the company has been minor, just to request an insurance card. I never had to concern about a claim or wait for their approval to get services done.

Gail Strother Bentonville, AR

I had recent dental work done that needed to have approval for coverage before the procedure. Delta Dental was quick and efficient. The customer service team was friendly and helpful

Darcy Chavez Provo, UT

Great coverage and they helped me a ton when I went to a shady dentist's office in Utah. They overcharged my insurance on three separate occasions and Delta helped me get that money back and fight the claims.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had Delta Dental for years with our employee insurance coverage and they have been great to work with. They cover a great deal of our expenses and helped out with our braces too. They pay quickly and do a great job!

Kenneth Bouldin

Delta Dental was my Tricare dental insurance company. Good rates, had the best local dental office, no problems with paperwork or billing.

Bob and Barb Portland, OR

I have been with Delta for over 45 years through company benefits. They have almost alwayus been a very good company to work with.

Gary & Corliss Connelly Boca Raton, FL

Easy to deal with and good follow up. I have had Delta Dental for over 20 years and have never had a problem with payments for services.

Leisha Logan, UT

Delta Dental was great to work with and we had great coverage for many years. Now I’m self employed, so I pay out of pocket for dental cleanings.

Jack and Thelma Unangst Cave Creek, AZ

always does a fine job at paying excess billing above our co-pay. We have been with them for years and have never had a problem with service. Dependable and fair.

Julie Taylor Ogden, UT

We have had Delta Dental for several years now. The coverage has always been good. They are quick to pay benefits and let us know if we have a portion to pay.

Jessie

Very professional, good customer service

Connie Budick City of Saint Peters, MO

Good when I can find a Dentist that will take it. Need it close to home I'm looking now for a new Dentist.

S.Faith

Great with claims and covers all aspects of dental. Lower out of pocket & covers most dental practice.

Bill Judge Oxford, NC

Excellent! Best coverage for the money. Dental office was impressed with amount paid for authorized services.

Ashley Blosil Kennewick, WA

Easy to use. We have had great coverage and it's been easy for us to work with thru our local dentists.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Delta Dental's coverage is reliable and cost effective. I have never had a problem getting my dental care costs covered.

chmills1cm San Antonio, TX

The new Delta dental I have from Virginia is well worth it and even covers now I think my employer made a good choice with this one

Deanna Moore Dumfries, VA

Very happy with my dental insurance from Delta Dental. The coverage is easy to understand, and their customer service team is efficient.

Aidan Keogh Ogden, UT

Delta Dental has been our Dental insurance for several years. They have good coverage and are quick to pay benefits and to explain there reasoning.

Rebecca Harvey Long Beach, MS

This dental insurance is super affordable and they covered a lot of my oral surgery I needed. I was very grateful to this company!

Connor Farmington, UT

They cover a lot and include a lot of perks. They are easy to use at the dentists as well and have great customer care and interaction.

Anthony Sgambati Rocklin, CA

We’ve had Delta Dental insurance for decades! Always very clear explanations of benefits and helpful staff when I have a question.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

Delta Dental has been a great dental provider for our family. They process our claims quickly and even paid for part of our braces.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

They pay claims quickly. Never had any issues.

TexasPeg Coppell, TX

They pay on time; they cover the percentage or most of it that they says they will.