Experian Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: September 4th, 2022

The newest and largest of the three major credit bureaus, Experian has been in business since 1996. The company offers competitively priced triple-bureau FICO credit reports in addition to triple-bureau credit monitoring. You can also order credit reports from Experian on an as-needed basis.  Although its free service only actively monitors one of the three credit reports, paid subscriptions to its credit monitoring and identity theft services include a number of bonus features and functionalities including identity theft monitoring and alerts, dark web surveillance, credit file locking, and fraud resolution.

The Good

• Daily Refresh Rate
  • Automated Monitoring
  • FICO Scores
  • Education Center
  • Mobile App

Daily Refresh Rate

Members of Experian Credit tracker enjoy unmatched access and insight into their Experian credit report. With the option of being able to refresh their Experian credit report as often as once per day, customers that are at especially high risk of identity theft are able to catch changes to their report the moment they happen. It is worth noting that the daily updates to this credit report also include a daily update to their FICO score based on that report.

Automated Monitoring

In addition to providing users with full access to their Experian credit report and score each day, Experian also provides automated monitoring and alerts to users (via email or through the mobile app) of any suspicious or major changes to their report, such as new accounts being opened, inquiries, or changes of address.

FICO Scores

Experian is the only credit bureau to include true FICO scores as part of its standard purchase options; the other two bureaus either don't appear to offer it or charge extra to see it. Additionally, Experian provides a fairly comprehensive list of credit factors that are influencing your score, helping you to know what to do in order to improve it.

Education Center

In addition to its core credit monitoring functionality, Experian also includes a robust credit education center with their membership, which our review team found to include a wide range of up-to-date, authoritative and accurate consumer credit information. It's a great resource for newcomers and credit monitoring veterans alike who are seeking to better understand their credit health and the many factors affecting it.

Additionally, a credit score simulator is included as part of the subscription. Simulators allow customers to see how different financial decisions might potentially impact their credit score, like filing for bankruptcy or paying down credit card balances, taking out a car loan, and more. Because this simulator is powered by FICO, the predictions are as accurate as can be expected from tools like this.

Mobile App

Experian's mobile app for iPhone and Android has earned high praise for its ease-of-use and polished design, with solid ratings on both the Apple and Android app stores. It's ease of use, stability, bug-free experience, and attractive design is noteworthy. We especially liked the integrated video tutorials included with the app that helps users to understand how to use it in order to do everything from disputing an inaccurate item on their credit report to tracking their score over time.

The Bad

• Trial Complaints
  • Additional Fees
  • Data Breaches

Trial Complaints

We have seen numerous complaints about the trial offered by Experian where the customer was unaware of the full cost of the service after the trial, they didn't get the full seven days of monitoring, or they had difficulty canceling the service. Depending on where you sign up for the service, the trial length varies. On its main website, Experian offers users a full month of access for $4.99, after which it costs $24.99 per month. Either way, we advise customers to give themselves plenty of time to call in and cancel before the bill comes due in order to allow time for any unexpected cancellation difficulties.

Additional Fees

Subscribers to Experian may be disappointed to find that the free service doesn't give them unlimited access to credit reports and scores from the other two major credit bureaus, Equifax and TransUnion. If a customer wants to view either of these reports, they will need to pay an additional fee to pull them. For those who are looking for a way to regularly monitor all three credit bureau reports semi-regularly, this cost will add up.

Data Breaches

Experian data breaches have occurred as recently as 2017. This breach had nothing to do with its credit monitoring customers, but it reflects poorly on Experian's ability to guard consumer information in general. Experian has also dealt with some legal issues surrounding claims of unsecured customer information and credit report inaccuracy. While these lawsuits were against the credit bureau in general, rather than anything specific with the credit tracking services it offers, security failures of companies that provide ID theft protection are extremely troubling. Unfortunately, all three major bureaus have been hit with lawsuits in recent years.

The Bottom Line

For those looking for an ongoing subscription option, Experian provides regular access to reports and scores from Experian. The company offers daily refreshes, FICO scores, and credit monitoring and reports for an affordable price. Although the company has set up monitoring to alert you of key changes on the other two bureau's reports, the free version does fall short of being a comprehensive credit monitoring solution. Nonetheless, the information provided can assist you in building or rebuilding your credit.

And if you're willing to pay for a monthly subscription, you get credit monitoring for all three credit bureaus along with extras like the ability to lock and unlock your Experian credit file and get coverage for identity theft insurance up to $1 Million.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

3.4

INCOGNITO

What i like best about EXPERIAN. Is its easy to use. And give me my credit score. Shows me where im my spending habits. Offers advice how I can save money. What I need to cut back on spending. Also the security features EXPERIAN offers send me an alert if it detects something new like an address change. Or if a creditcard was taken out in my name. EXPERIAN sends an alert to verify if it was me or not.

Amy W. Pleasant Grove, UT

We signed up for the credit monitoring. So far we've been happy with it - we haven't had any alerts yet (they are supposed to notify you immediately), but every month we get an e-mail update stating that nothing has been found during their monitoring, which I appreciate for peace of mind. We have been using it for probably 4-5 months now. I haven't had too many customer service interactions, but one I did have was very positive. There was an error on my credit report, and the gentleman with whom I spoke was very helpful and made sure it was taken care of. Based on that interaction, I would give them a 10.

Toni Montuori

Experian, like many others credit monitoring companies has built with the times. I’ve had a account with them for several years and I am always surprised what I learn about how and what our scores mean. For me it’s invaluable!

Vennie Thompson Hartsel, CO

I adore Experian! They deliver exactly what they say they will and do not rob you. TransUnion charged me without my actually hitting the button and before they had no even identified me with check questions. Experian charged me only after I'd actually consented. I adore Experian; I dispose TransUnion.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Experian continues to be a high value option in Credit reporting. I have always found their service support to be exceptional. The best way to keep mind of your credit scores. Plus helpful services that help improve your records. Excellent all around!

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

I just found about Experian last year because of the pandemic. It is currently free and it’s the most accurate credit score company that lost finance companies check. It showed me I had a false negative impact on my report and they removed it right away after disputing it, which made my credit score go up 100+ points.

Juanita Morrison Columbus, OH

I recommend you sign up for the credit monitoring alerts and check out the Experian Boost tool. I recently signed up for the boost program and received an increase to my credit score due to registering accounts that previously were not being reported.

Rustys777 Morganton, NC

I love the alerts and how it keeps me up to date with my credit score. It's very helpful in building your credit and highly recommended if you're trying to get a better credit score

Jec Canby, OR

When I have received notices from companies saying that my private info has been leaked, they have offered a free credit report. It has been comforting to receive the report and see that all is still in order and my credit score remains high.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I feel that Experian is the most legit form of checking your credit score. The score won't be randomly boosted and it gives you more of an honest score. It lets you see all the things affecting your credit and it is easy to maneuver.

Hallieford West Valley City, UT

I was leery of having my identity compromised and was worried someone found out my social security and driver’s license numbers. They helped me put a freeze on my credit so no one could fraudulently apply for credit. I could take the hold off with a PIN number at my convenience. They send me updates about my accounts.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Experian is a great direct source to monitor your credit bureau information.. They are active and monitor new transactions that may affect you negatively. They offer the best tools to safeguard your credit. I am totally happy with their services and customer support.

BJ Tenney Woods Cross, UT

I am just coming up to the end of my first year of Experian credit monitoring. It's been really nice to see immediate alerts each time I know my credit is being checked. I don't worry at all about someone messing up my credit score.

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

I have found out with there app they will notify you right away when something happens to your credit. You can relax and let them do the work.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Experian is a great way to monitor my credit. I’m able to see if there’s any alerts or immediate issues with my credit. I can dispute tradelines directly on their site if I see any inconsistencies.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Experian is very helpful because you can keep your credit in the "freeze" mode so that no one else can sign up for credit cards in your name without you knowing. It is a worthwhile service.

Kathie Bowman Lakeside, CA

I use experian on the daily for my job and the website if very easy to understand read the reports. If you want to look at your report to see what is on there then experian is the way to go

hminfo Olney, MD

Experian is great because you can use the credit freeze feature, which makes it so that others can't apply for a credit card in your name without you knowing about it.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Experian is a great place to track any credit issues. They have consistently protected my credit and alerted me when there has been any questionable activity.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Experian is a great bird dog for your personal credit. They are quick to inform me when there has been any activity, and they "locked" my credit very effectively.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

I received a free year of credit monitoring from this company and they really did a great job of flagging potential issues. Very proactive and helpful.

Eric San Diego, CA

Most accurate credit reporting agency in my opinion. I have had the least amount of trouble using this as opposed to the other two. Would definitely recommend.

Celia Waipahu, HI

Experian keeps us up to date with our credit and activity. That is what we always look forward too to see where we are at with our credits and what we could do to improve it.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We had an identity theft scare last year and used Experian to lock our credit and it gave us an incredible amount of peace of mind. It also gave us information on our credit!

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

Great experience with Experian. It's to get the alerts when something has changed with my credit cards or score.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Being at our age there are lots of schemes out there to take advantage of us. We like that you pay a low fee and can lock your credit and monitor it.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Experian has been a great service. It;s helped us stay on track and has helped us better our credit rating and know what to look for

Tagg Ogden, UT

I really trust Experian for my credit monitoring since they are one of the companies that wrote the book on credit reports.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

Experian is such an outstanding tool to use to keep up with your credit which is useful! It even gives you recommendations!

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

one of my favorite sites to use when monitoring my credit their reports i feel are one of the easiest to read and very self explanatory

Shanna South Jordan, UT

I had my identity stolen about a year ago and had to worth with experian. They are so helpful in helping you get your life back on track

Tee’Anna Weston Tallahassee, FL

Experian provides me with accurate results of my credit and keeps me updated on the status of it.

Chelsea Pleasant Grove, UT

Have always had an accurate soft pull and is so easy to do! Is so interesting to see!

WT

I like being able to check my actual fico score see my credit report on a whim just by logging in.

Darryl Shelmire Long Beach, CA

I've uses experian along with other credit monitoring apps to rebuild my credit. Great service.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

Very reliable to check my credit score information. I enjoy how fast and easy it is to check my account!

April Jones Tremonton, UT

Experian is great about keeping me updated on any changes to my score or my report. And very accurate.

Connor Farmington, UT

Experian is great and gives great reminders on how to continuously improve and gain a high credit score.

Lea Fiscella Clermont, FL

Great for keeping track of changes in my credit score and why

Jen Coose Benton, AR

Is use this service every month to monitor my credit. Very helpful.

emblair Herriman, UT

Very helpful in keeping track of our credit after some fraudulent activity.

Eny Donnelly Port Saint Lucie, FL

My favorite side to find out about my credit history, it is very reliable and clear

jessica Mesa, AZ

Experian has great customer service and will help you with your issue no problem at all.

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

accurte and safe credit monitoring. easy to use site.

IloriaTess R. Atlanta, GA

A great tool to monitor your credit with a lot of options to improve it.